Schedule a 30-minute demo or reference call with a real user from the PeerSpot community. Available only to members that are in a buying process for this product and have contributed a review that's then published.

openSUSE Leap OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

openSUSE Leap is #9 ranked solution in top Operating Systems for Business. IT Central Station users give openSUSE Leap an average rating of 10 out of 10. openSUSE Leap is most commonly compared to SUSE Linux Enterprise:openSUSE Leap vs SUSE Linux Enterprise. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 42% of all views.
What is openSUSE Leap?

openSUSE Leap is a brand new way of building openSUSE and is new type of hybrid Linux distribution. Leap uses source from SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE), which gives Leap a level of stability unmatched by other Linux distributions, and combines that with community developments to give users, developers and sysadmins the best stable Linux experience available. Contributor and enterprise efforts for Leap bridge a gap between matured packages and newer packages found in openSUSE’s other distribution Tumbleweed.

Download the Operating Systems (OS) for Business Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

openSUSE Leap Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about openSUSE Leap pricing:
  • "This is an open-source operating system that can be used free of charge."
  • "The cost of this solution was reasonable and it was within our budget."

openSUSE Leap Reviews

Elliott Scott
CEO at Scott Solutions LLC
Good virtualization capabilities, stable, and cost-effective

• "The most valuable feature by far has been the virtualization capabilities of the operating system."
  • "Like most Linux-based operating systems, the biggest challenge Leap faces is the GUI."

What is our primary use case?

I use Leap as a desktop operating system in my office. I use it primarily for virtualization now, in all of my smaller customer sites, and internally in my new business. I've transitioned away from XEN in favor of KVM, which I've found to be a very stable platform.

I'm now looking into High Availability using Pacemaker, DRBD, LVM, and KVM to form HA Virtualization clusters. Thus far, I'm pleased with the results.

How has it helped my organization?

Leap has provided me with the ability to offer what I consider "Enterprise" class server O/S platforms to my smaller customers who are looking to improve their competitive stances without breaking the bank.

When it was first pitched to me, I was told to think of it as the open-source version of SLES, a bridge between their Enterprise O/S and their cutting-edge platform, Tumbleweed. The benefit it offered was being put through its tested release process, similar to SLES, which basically inferred I was receiving a stable, open-source version of a very powerful and fully supported server-class operating system. I surmised that issues with the O/S would be very few, and anything that I might encounter may already be receiving attention on the SLES side.

Being a big fan of SLES already, I realized how many more doors would be opened for opportunities to offer this platform to smaller SMBs who were looking to venture into virtualization, as well as others who were completely unaware of Virtualization, and the benefits this feature offers. With this in mind, I took a "Leap" of faith and tried it out. I was NOT disappointed, and I'm now a very big fan of Leap!

I have now built my first HA cluster using Pacemaker, DRBD, Clustered LVM, and KVM to host multiple guests in a fully redundant environment, similar to my past work in SLES, and the transition was seamless! I'm very impressed with what I can do with this operating system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature by far has been the virtualization capabilities of the operating system. I can run multiple guests on "small footprint" hosts using the latest in Intel & AMD technologies, and take advantage of newer storage technologies, such as NVMe, to build lightning-fast hosts the size of a toaster.

I've also been able to provide rock-solid backup solutions such as URBackup, for example, compiled from source, that sits on stable platforms. They simply run until I restart them.

What needs improvement?

Like most Linux-based operating systems, the biggest challenge Leap faces is the GUI. I've found that while all of them are stable, there are glitches that occur from time to time, including lost functionality going from one version to the next. But these issues are more prevalent with the integrated options, and not the O/S itself.

End-users are more accustomed to point-and-click solutions they find on M/S-based operating systems. Linux requires a little more involvement than that, but I've found that SUSE has embraced the notion that similar functionality can be achieved in an 'X' environment as well. It just takes a little more effort to get there.

"Major" mass adoption may not occur until third-party application providers design their applications to run in an 'X' environment, and not just for Windows. This will be dependent on them, as they determine market demand and whether there is any real return. There are those who have provided powerful tools and application suites, such as The Document Foundation's LibreOffice, that are very competitive, and are opening the eyes of regular consumers, which will help in spreading awareness. Time will tell, but I look forward to what the future brings.

I have been using openSUSE leap since it first became available, which is about five years ago. Previously, I was using Suse Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 12 in my office and customer environments. I decided to try Leap to see if it lived up to the advertisement.

I was very impressed with what Suse had produced. I'm now a very big fan!

It is very stable, compared to cutting-edge versions of Linux where changes occur quite frequently.

Where possible, I've tried to provide feedback to help future development, which they are always open to receive.

Previously, I would use these resources on SLES platforms and still plan to for my larger clients. But for those with smaller budgets, Leap is an excellent substitute.

This is an open-source operating system that can be used free of charge.

Leap has become an excellent substitute for other Virtualization platforms available on the market today.

CR
Talent Acquisition Manager, APAC at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Highly stable, scalable, and easy installation

• "The solution is easy for me to use because the backend is derived from FreeBSD and this is something I have been using for over 20 years."
  • "In the future, the Active Directory could improve."

What is our primary use case?

The company that I work for had been hacked and we wanted a more secure operating system, this is why we are using openSUSE Leap.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped my organization's security from the use of its firewall. The features for blocking or allowing traffic are very effective and have worked well for us.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy for me to use because the backend is derived from FreeBSD and this is something I have been using for over 20 years.

What needs improvement?

In the future, the Active Directory could improve.

I have been using this solution for approximately one year.

The software of this solution is very stable. Both software and hardware come together to form the stability of a system. If you do not have reliable hardware and you put a reliable software, you end up having an unreliable solution. If you have reliable hardware and software, you will have a reliable solution. I am using a Quad-Core Xeon processor that is very reliable, this creates a fully reliable solution.

The scalability is good, I was using one instance of this solution but then I created two to have redundancy.

We have approximately 70 manufacturing units in my organization.

Here in the Philippines, the local support could improve in openSUSE Leap.

I migrated from M-Server because the solution we were using, Santos, had been taken over by Red Hat. In December last year, I was already informed that I had to move to another solution because there will be no longer any support for Santos.

The installation is easy.

I did the implementation myself.

The cost of this solution was reasonable and it was within our budget.

I evaluated other solutions before choosing openSUSE Leap.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution.

I rate openSUSE Leap a nine out of ten.

Download our free Operating Systems (OS) for Business Report and find out what your peers are saying about openSUSE, SUSE, Canonical, and more!