Operations Orchestration Overview

Operations Orchestration is the #12 ranked solution in our list of top Process Automation tools. It is most often compared to Ansible: Operations Orchestration vs Ansible

What is Operations Orchestration?

Micro Focus Operations Orchestration is the next-generation IT Process Automation solution for those businesses who want to automate their processes, operations, and IT tasks from the data center to the cloud. This solution allows IT to focus on innovation instead of on mundane tasks, and has many business benefits, which are discussed in detail below.

Micro Focus Operations Orchestration supports multiple IT domains, such as Cloud, Virtualization, SAP Orchestration, Security Ops, and Dev/Ops.

Operations Orchestration is also known as Micro Focus Operations Orchestration, HPOO, HPE Operations Orchestration.

Download the Process Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Operations Orchestration Customers

Casablanca INT, Internet Initiative Japan, Railway Information Systems, Samsung SDS, and Turkcell.

Operations Orchestration Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

RP
Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It has alacrity, but lacks ability to scale

What is our primary use case?

We began using the solution for runbook automation. Gradually, we expanded to using it towards the IT process solutions. We were using a lot of auto-healing-realated activities using OO.

• "It has reduced the time taken to go to market. In the past, we were struggling with building these integrations, but now the process has sped up and there is an added advantage of quick delivery. In addition, it is an agent-less solution, which provides more flexibility in terms of multiple options."
  • "There were a lot of scalability issues that we initially faced. Whenever I tried to deploy 100-200 endpoints, it became a huge challenge. We had to actually start using other tools like Tivoli Endpoint Management in order to patch the issues."
it_user671301
Project Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Automation is a huge benefit when doing integration.
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, BMC, Broadcom and others in Process Automation. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user567585
Automation Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
It can manage different types of servers, including Unix and Windows.

What other advice do I have?

It depends which solution you require but in general, the HPE solution is very useful, but sometimes it's more difficult with other solutions. It's very simple to use even though you may require several days to become familiar with the solution. After getting good information about the product, it is simpler to use.
it_user568044
Cloud Systems Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
MSP
It brings everything together in one method screen from which you can create all the services.

What other advice do I have?

This solution basically does everything that we need it to do. It does it pretty well. When choosing a vendor, I look for end-to-end support throughout the product life-cycle. We need a clear strategy on what the company's doing and how to align that to the way we want to go.
it_user568053
Cloud Platform Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Brings disparate systems together and automates processes. Third-party integrations are slow.

What other advice do I have?

When I select a vendor, I generally look for the following key items: * Maturity * The correct Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities, Threats (SWOT) models * The right development roadmap * That products are moving in the right direction
it_user568083
Consultant at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It enables workflow automation and provides optimization.

What is most valuable?

This solution enables the automation of workflow.

How has it helped my organization?

It has good optimization. It's easy to use and to develop.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more open-source options with this tool. There are only graphical developments. My technical colleagues prefer to develop as we code, not as we click.

This is a stable solution.

We have an external colleague, who is part of an activation company. He helps us use this solution. We are satisfied with him. However, if we need help with a problem on our own, it's difficult to get the right support. The first level of support is not very good.

What other advice do I

it_user481998
IT Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
We are trying to automate as many of the processes as possible, so the automation is the most valuable aspect.

What other advice do I have?

Have someone create guidelines. Make sure you have the folks who have that development mindset. Just have those guidelines to keep the stability, because once you start it, you really need someone to have the experience to guide the folks into it. But once they see what the features are out of the box, how to create those flows, and once they get started, then I think it's pretty easy.
it_user485916
Virtualization Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
We're currently in the progress of implementation. It will provide us with time savings with automation.

What other advice do I have?

Because of the relationship and partnership that we have with HPE, we know what to expect, and so if we do come up against any problems, we know that we can solve them, so it's the relationship that we have with them that would make me say that's a good direction to go.
BD
System Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It allows me to do repetitive tasks consistently.

What other advice do I have?

Have someone who understands the environment not only from a data perspective and tactical perspective, but also from the security and from operations, because really it is an operational tool that helps you and if you don't know how operations works, you'll never create a flow that's right.
it_user361473
IT Service & Asset Management at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're able to automate various situations, such as rebooting Service Manager. The customization prompts are a little awkward and not very intuitive.
it_user365868
CEO and Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's something that allows you to secure cloud assets from start to finish and to have complete security control over it.
it_user364176
Senior Manager - Cloud Services - Automation and Tools at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
MSP
The main driver for us is its event remediation function. We can get alerts in Operations Manager, extract the relevant information, and either send an email to our customers or use it for escalation.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to list all your use cases first, and really figure out what their trying to do. It's easy, is an easy orchestration tool. It's very visual. If you're not looking to code a lot, it's pretty cool. And it just depends on the level of skillset you have in the organization. From a coding perspective, if there are open search tools out there that require more expertise than actually scripting, in this, you don't do that. You go to the studio and you drag and drop things and you make things work. So from that perspective it's easy. It's more UI driven.
it_user360492
Senior Database Administrator - Database Services Strategy at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
We use it for building provisioning servers, installing software, maintaining software, patching, and maintenance. I'd like more functionalities around code release.

What other advice do I have?

I'd suggest that you start small and learn the tool set. Once you've put everything into place, then you can grow.
it_user359718
IT Automation Expert at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to create our logs in a way so that we can read security issues without really having to do customization.

What other advice do I have?

Just do it. Don't think too long about it.
Principal Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It gives a solid platform to write flows for maintaining DevOps environments, but technical support needs improvement as it's a highly-sought after automation tool.
it_user224268
Senior Technology Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The compliant scans component is a valuable feature but it does need improvement as it tends to impact the overall stability.

What other advice do I have?

Initial setup is very crucial and before implementing you should have a clear vision on how to use it for the following two years. Setup processes on the usage, at the initial stages, as it is hard to change that at later stages considering the complexity involved.
it_user159837
HP Operations Orchestration Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Automated the complete process of ordering, building, and supplying servers but documentation from HP could be better.

Valuable Features

Automations and integrations with several other products.

Improvements to My Organization

Automated the complete end-to-end process of ordering, building, and supplying servers.

Room for Improvement

Better documentation and support from HP.

Use of Solution

4 years.

No – but architecturally the application should be well though-out across domains, firewalls and data-centers.

In 9.x, the clustering environment was very unstable. But in 10.x that has been resolved.

No – it’s fairly easy to scale.

From 1 – 10 – I think HP is about a 4. Support can be slow and frustrating.

Initial setup is complex. Mainly in architecting it. Then again,…
Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
IT Process automation made simple. No Coding or Programming required.
it_user79788
Network Engineer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Has HP Abandoned Operations Manager?
HP Operations Manager has been around a long time in the Enterprise server management space. I first started working with it around 2001, and I’ve always had a soft spot for it, but I’m ready to declare it abandoned. HP has failed to develop the product, and they now seem to be actively working on a viable alternative. HP Operations Manager (HP OM) is an agent-based server monitoring system. Agents are installed on monitored systems. Monitoring policies are defined at the central server, and pushed to agents. This keeps the bulk of the processing local, as agents only need to raise exceptions. It also makes agents very powerful – they can do anything on a managed node – check processes, monitor logfiles, run actions, etc. HP OM can also act as a…
it_user77349
Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
You don't have to be a programmer but make sure to plan for stability and scaleability in your initial design
I give HP Operation Orchestration 4 stars - compared to other similar orchestration products, it is an excellent solution. Use Of Solution: 4-5 years. Valuable Features: The ease of use (Studio). You don't have to be a programmer and it's something that anyone can pick up and put to good use to deliver solid solutions. Improvements To Organization: The best example I can think of is where I had Network Engineering management asking for customizations to Network Automation and reporting that would be done outside of Network Automation. Operations Orchestration provided an easy solution! I was able to integrate Network Automation and Operations Orchestration and create some basic flows that would collect the custom information that the manger was interested in and pass…
Architect at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Top Reviewer
HP OO blows away the competition, but has its fair share of flaws.

What other advice do I have?

Implementing it is pretty straightforward. Be aware that 9 and 10 have some very fundamental differences – HP realized, for example, they are terrible at versioning/parallel development – so they finally offloaded that in OO 10 to SVN. Great call in my opinion.
User at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Challenges transitioning from version 9 to 10
I'm just starting to transition flows from 9 to 10 now. Central definitely seems quicker and more secure. Developing in studio is quite different given that we are now working with projects and are required to reference content packs and their operations (it feels similar to developing in visual studio in the way you create new projects and add references to dll's) but I must admit I am still learning v10. SCM seems to be a great alternative to the public repo in version 9. I'm hoping at some point HP allow us to utilise third party SCM's such as team foundation server so organisations can utilise their corporate SCM solution. My challenge at the moment is converting our custom .Net ops from version 9 to 10. Also with exchange operations within the business…