Operations Orchestration OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Operations Orchestration is the #12 ranked solution in our list of top Process Automation tools. It is most often compared to Ansible: Operations Orchestration vs Ansible

What is Operations Orchestration?

Micro Focus Operations Orchestration is the next-generation IT Process Automation solution for those businesses who want to automate their processes, operations, and IT tasks from the data center to the cloud. This solution allows IT to focus on innovation instead of on mundane tasks, and has many business benefits, which are discussed in detail below.

Micro Focus Operations Orchestration supports multiple IT domains, such as Cloud, Virtualization, SAP Orchestration, Security Ops, and Dev/Ops.

Operations Orchestration is also known as Micro Focus Operations Orchestration, HPOO, HPE Operations Orchestration.

Download the Process Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Operations Orchestration Customers

Casablanca INT, Internet Initiative Japan, Railway Information Systems, Samsung SDS, and Turkcell.

Operations Orchestration Video

Archived Operations Orchestration Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user878124
Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It has alacrity, but lacks ability to scale

• "It has reduced the time taken to go to market. In the past, we were struggling with building these integrations, but now the process has sped up and there is an added advantage of quick delivery. In addition, it is an agent-less solution, which provides more flexibility in terms of multiple options."
  • "There were a lot of scalability issues that we initially faced. Whenever I tried to deploy 100-200 endpoints, it became a huge challenge. We had to actually start using other tools like Tivoli Endpoint Management in order to patch the issues."

What is our primary use case?

We began using the solution for runbook automation. Gradually, we expanded to using it towards the IT process solutions. We were using a lot of auto-healing-realated activities using OO.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced the time taken to go to market. In the past, we were struggling with building these integrations, but now the process has sped up and there is an added advantage of quick delivery. In addition, it is an agent-less solution, which provides more flexibility in terms of multiple options.

What is most valuable?

The integration is easy with the OO solution. It is simple to expedite, and all we have to do is consume a few APS and it is integrated and up and running.

What needs improvement?

It is an agent-less tool. It is two-sided. It is good, because it requires less approvals for deploying. But, it gets difficult because wherever you typically want to deploy robotic process automation related use cases will not have an agent sitting on the endpoint. Executing activities and tasks on the box without an agent can become a tricky process. There are some workarounds that can be orchestrated, but it is extra work.

Three to five years.

There were a lot of scalability issues that we initially faced. Whenever I tried to deploy 100-200 endpoints, it became a huge challenge. We had to actually start using other tools like Tivoli Endpoint Management in order to patch the issues.

Initially, we handled all tech issues ourselves. Later, we used the tech support with the support-related issues with the infrastructure.

The setup was complex because it comes in a pack. We hired an orchestrator to implement the product, but it was expensive. The deployment took eight months. It took another four months to be completely stable. In total, it took a year for the complete implementation.

I do not have experience with the pricing or licensing of the product.

it_user671301
Project Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Automation is a huge benefit when doing integration.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is most valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

We do integration for other companies and automation is a huge, huge benefit, obviously.

What needs improvement?

The integration grid between the SA and OL needed improvement, but that was solved. Like in SA studio, we needed to have our workflows and stuff created. Then, using a batch file you had to synch and so on. But that was solved. It is all integrated.

I have been using this for about six months.

We used a previous version but that was stable. We have had no down time.

It will going to meet our needs going forward.

For us, support is really good. But then we know a lot of inside people. We don’t have to wait on the phone.

When looking for a vendor, I look for reliability. All products basically do the same thing. If you change jobs, you have the other product you have to work with that right. They all have their up and their down sides, but I think reliability is the differentiator.

Setup is quite complex, but it is a complex product. It's not Word, obviously. It took a couple of weeks to complete the project. But, it was a real small automatic deployment. Basically, what we did in that project was really straightforward, really easy. We barely used the product to it's full extent.

Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, BMC, Broadcom and others in Process Automation. Updated: September 2021.
542,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user567585
Automation Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
It can manage different types of servers, including Unix and Windows.

What is most valuable?

The solution enables managing all different types of servers; Unix server or a Windows server. This is a very significant advantage of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easier to manage all the servers, and you can automate processes at one time for all these types of servers, which is very useful.

It is scalable. We started with a low number of servers and now we have more than 20,000 different servers.

Sometimes, it can be difficult because when we open a case with level one support, the questions are always the same, so it's a bit boring to say the same things. However, afterwards, at level two or level three communication, we can talk to a very good expert. They have helped us very quickly.

We wanted a solution for the network, but beforehand we didn't have the global tools for that, so we needed to locate a designer solution.

The setup is a little bit complex, as the first time we needed some help from HPE support, but afterwards on repeating the process it became easier.

Perhaps we should investigate other software that we haven't yet used and evaluate any advantages in that. I just wanted to gather the relevant information regarding the features of the HPE solution, but we weren't comparing it to other vendor solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It depends which solution you require but in general, the HPE solution is very useful, but sometimes it's more difficult with other solutions.

It's very simple to use even though you may require several days to become familiar with the solution. After getting good information about the product, it is simpler to use.

it_user568044
Cloud Systems Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
MSP
It brings everything together in one method screen from which you can create all the services.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a bit more in the UX. It needs to be a bit more up-to-date. The version we've got is pretty new. It could do with a bit of a web-content makeover.

We use a lot of HPE’s software, the main point being that a lot of the server hardware based tools we used are using very new, integrated web pages whereas the HPE SA and OO are looking quite old, still fat client based and prone to some unfortunate service issues. Maybe we are not using the latest version and these are addressed, it was just a major point I thought was worth addressing.

I've been using the solution since I started working at my current organization about nine months ago.

The solution is fairly stable. We do have some internal problems with the sizing and stability of certain components.

The tool is highly scalable. It can grow as big you want it to.

I don't deal with the support directly, but the people who work with them don't seem to have much of a problem. It's a fairly quick process to get to the right level of support.

This solution was just pushed through when the actual cloud team was put together. We were already HPE partners.

I wasn’t really involved in the setup. But it's quite a basic setup. It's not that complex.

What other advice do I have?

This solution basically does everything that we need it to do. It does it pretty well.

When choosing a vendor, I look for end-to-end support throughout the product life-cycle. We need a clear strategy on what the company's doing and how to align that to the way we want to go.

it_user568053
Cloud Platform Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Brings disparate systems together and automates processes. Third-party integrations are slow.

What is most valuable?

This tool addresses all our disparate capabilities, bringing all those systems together. We’ve been able to orchestrate per product, and tie those things together to automate processes that were manual in the past. It allows us to turn around systems a lot quicker and in a repeatable way.

How has it helped my organization?

Previous to this solution, there were a lot of manual processes that allowed for human error. Now it is automated and more repeatable. We're still not perfect, but the tool allows us to keep improving constantly.

What needs improvement?

One area is support. The other one is the release of new products that emerge in the market. This tool is set up such that it encompasses third-party integrations that can be slow. I would like to see the introduction of new products to market and getting support for the application as quickly as possible.

We have been using this solution for about two years.

We don't use it in a heavy duty way, but it seems robust enough from what we've experienced in the last two years.

This tool is not known for scalability. We don't use it that heavily. As far as we know, the architecture is scalable. That was part of our decision to go this route. It has yet to be proven in the field.

We have used technical support and we've had our ups and downs with them. We've had questions for support and they've been really helpful. We get to the right level, but we sometimes find that we struggle to get support for a new product or a capability in which we are having issues. Generally, they're okay, but there are still areas of struggle.

The installation is straightforward. To be fair, HPE has looked to improve that process over the last couple of iterations. Overall, it's been fine.

We have looked into several other technologies, but we have a lot of HPE tool sets today and we find that the off-the-shelf integrations are good. That is our predominant reason for using the HPE tools.

Even though there are a lot of other technologies that compete in this space, this solution is the right fit for now. In terms of licenses, they work well for the way in which we use the products.

What other advice do I have?

When I select a vendor, I generally look for the following key items:

• Maturity
  • The correct Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities, Threats (SWOT) models
  • The right development roadmap
  • That products are moving in the right direction
it_user568083
Consultant at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It enables workflow automation and provides optimization.

What is most valuable?

This solution enables the automation of workflow.

How has it helped my organization?

It has good optimization. It's easy to use and to develop.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more open-source options with this tool. There are only graphical developments. My technical colleagues prefer to develop as we code, not as we click.

This is a stable solution.

We have an external colleague, who is part of an activation company. He helps us use this solution. We are satisfied with him. However, if we need help with a problem on our own, it's difficult to get the right support. The first level of support is not very good.

What other advice do I

What is most valuable?

This solution enables the automation of workflow.

How has it helped my organization?

It has good optimization. It's easy to use and to develop.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more open-source options with this tool.

This is a stable solution.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the software. This is a good solution.

it_user481998
IT Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
We are trying to automate as many of the processes as possible, so the automation is the most valuable aspect.

Valuable Features

The automation, hands down. That's the future of our company and the direction we're going in. We are trying to automate as many of the processes as possible, so instead of taking two weeks to deploy a server it takes 15 minutes.

We started with our VM systems, and now we're looking at physical systems. Also, in my area of expertise is monitoring, so within that flow, we also deploy monitoring as well as part of the automated service. Based on a matter of minutes, rather than a matter of days. Huge benefit.

Improvements to My Organization

It's cost effective. The time you get the applications up and running generates more revenue for the company sooner. Also personnel, it doesn't require as many people to be involved. Of course, money is number one within the company. But yet, just the pure time and the time it takes to get infrastructure up, going and ready.

We have such a huge environment. When we're standing up new applications, new systems or existing applications, we've got to find ways to make things faster to keep up with demand, keep up with the competitors, and to be the leading institution in our industry. Definitely always finding new ways to make things faster and better. Of course, that eliminates human error. When we automate, everyone knows exactly what to expect, from the process, rather than introducing a point of failure - human error.

Room for Improvement

I'm not quite sure, because the toolsets that are introduced out of the box are very helpful. Once you get that learning curve, when it clicks, it's kind of like a game to me. Once you have the personnel who can really get into it and really enjoy it and make things better, I really cannot find any specific examples for you to say that I wish this was better, because it offers you so many options. You're developing something so it's kind of how you want to do it. There's so many different ways that you can develop your flow, so they have a ton of options for you.

I'm not a developer by trade. I actually come from an operations background. I have a little bit of scripting experience, and when I took this on, we actually had a contractor come in and guide the work. Once he did that, and then once they left, I took over those flows and just thrown out there in the water. Sink or swim. When you have to do it, it was something I picked up in a really quick. Once it clicked, we were off. We just kept going.

You have to have a subject matter expert. You have to have that SME to have that mindset of a developer. You need to have someone with some development experience. Not saying you have to, because it can be learned, but it is easier to have someone to have that experience and to have that mindset. But you do have to have that dedicated resource, I guess you could say to stay on top of it, because if you don't stay into it, once you create these flows, and if they're very customized, some of them in my experience can get quite large. You have to keep up with what's being added, what's being updated and know exactly what's going on, because over time you can kind of forget things that are happening within the automations.

We have had some issues with memory usage, but that's something that we beefed up and made the system more robust. We added new servers, and actually helped tremendously. We created guidelines around how the flow should be created to sustain stability, because if you have folks who introduce to many bugs to their flows, it can actually bring the system down. We have a team that monitors it.

It's exploding as more and more departments start using the application, we add more servers. I think of you need that directive from senior management. As long as it's something that the company wants, and they want to move forward with, you'll get the resources for it.

Usually what I do is I contact the team that oversees the product, and if there's any issues, then they would contact HP, which I think they have done a few times. I've never heard any complaints from them about it.

I didn't have any involvement with the deployment of the application, so I'm not sure.

Other Solutions Considered

I'm not at the level to know why they chose Orchestration. But since they've chosen it, it's been a great tool. Very powerful tool. Introduced a lot of flexibility within the company. Something we've been very pleased with. It's really exploded within the company.

Other Advice

Have someone create guidelines. Make sure you have the folks who have that development mindset. Just have those guidelines to keep the stability, because once you start it, you really need someone to have the experience to guide the folks into it. But once they see what the features are out of the box, how to create those flows, and once they get started, then I think it's pretty easy.

it_user485916
Virtualization Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
We're currently in the progress of implementation. It will provide us with time savings with automation.

What is most valuable?

Time savings with automation. We've gone from weeks to deploy systems to minutes. From the research that we did pre-purchase, it looks like it's going to fulfill all of our needs.

How has it helped my organization?

We get to market faster with our servers that we need to deploy. We see the benefit to our customers in being able to provide them better service.

What needs improvement?

It takes a lot of resources to implement and support it, which is expensive.

Stability is not really an issue. It doesn't apply to cloud automation specifically.

The products that we use are scalable to the extent that we need them to be. We're huge already, and so we deploy thousands of systems, and it responds the way that we need it to. It really doesn't need to scale any bigger for us.

Tech support, we're a one vendor solution. We use HPE, and so all of their support is always excellent.

We're big enough to have our own HPE account team and we had a lot of meetings, and research with them to make those decisions as partners.

We're currently in the progress of implementation, and so far, it's been great. Looking forward to having it fully implemented.

There are two solutions that we'd consider. VMware vRealize Automation and HPE Operations Orchestration, and we use both of those.

What other advice do I have?

Because of the relationship and partnership that we have with HPE, we know what to expect, and so if we do come up against any problems, we know that we can solve them, so it's the relationship that we have with them that would make me say that's a good direction to go.

BD
System Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It allows me to do repetitive tasks consistently.

What is most valuable?

The ability to basically create any type of flow I want to, go and get the root cause, and to control workflow without people having to know everything that needs to be done. People make too many mistakes. Then I can also use it to find the root cause when an event actually occurs. It allows me to do repetitive tasks consistently.

How has it helped my organization?

It actually really comes down to a quicker mean time to recover. More consistent data being captured to identify what the issues are and also a tighter control over work process flows.

What needs improvement?

It annoys me because you have to create everything in one development environment and then push it out to the run-time engines, but anything that has the power or capabilities of what OO does, it almost has to be two separate entities. It's easy for people who don't know what they're doing from a logical perspective to really screw things up.

You can build some safety features and everything into it where that doesn't happen, but really primarily what you do is you limit the amount of people who develop the flows. That way you stay consistent.

If you're running it in a Windows environment, you're tied to the inefficiency and quirkiness of Windows. No system that the first answer from support is reboot It, should be a production server.

I've been dealing with Operations Orchestration ever since HP bought it and in my opinion, there's really not a whole lot of competition that works well with inside the HP software environment. Like I said, we are an HP software and hardware site for the most part. Also, we have the expertise there.

Once you understand what you have to do to do it and you have the proper mechanisms and security restrictions removed to do it, then no. If you go and have somebody new try to deploy it, it is a fairly complex deployment structure. Like I said, that's where it comes back to if you know what you're doing and know how to do it and if you have the proper securities, it's fine. If you don't, it's a nightmare.

What other advice do I have?

Have someone who understands the environment not only from a data perspective and tactical perspective, but also from the security and from operations, because really it is an operational tool that helps you and if you don't know how operations works, you'll never create a flow that's right.

it_user361473
IT Service & Asset Management at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're able to automate various situations, such as rebooting Service Manager. The customization prompts are a little awkward and not very intuitive.

Valuable Features

Although we've just started using it, the automation feature, of course, is the most valuable feature for us. We also use the server exchange a bit and I use it for many routines, including rebooting systems.

Improvements to My Organization

We haven't really implemented it much into our processes, but it's already a time saver for us. We're able to automate various situations. For example, for three years, I've had to reboot my HP Service Manager system every week manually, taking about 30-40 minutes each time. Now, I can just press a button, wait five minutes, press the button again, and the system is upgraded.

Room for Improvement

It's not a perfect solution, such as with the customization prompts. They're a little awkward and not very intuitive.

We've had no issues with deployment.

I'd say that the stability is good. Again, the customization prompts aren't so intuitive and we made mistakes. However, we were able to fix those ourselves, but they could have been prevented.

We haven't scaled, but we have looked at it and it's quite scalable and usable for other parts of our organization. We could easily allow other people to use Orchestration.

We are planning to do it within Knowledge Management, for example, to have automated fixes in it and in Service Manager so that they can just click A or L and then run the Orchestration scenario to fix the problem.

I don't think we've ever had to contact technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. We haven't implemented it that much yet because we have a standalone server with the system, so we opened a couple of firewalls. To get the routines correct, though, it's quite complex.

ROI

I've seen ROI almost right away. There's maybe eight or ten hours of setup to get a good scenario and then that's saved up in ten weeks for me at least.

Other Solutions Considered

We're an HP shop and it's management's choice to use HP software.

it_user365868
CEO and Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's something that allows you to secure cloud assets from start to finish and to have complete security control over it.

Valuable Features

As an integrator of Operations Orchestration, we find that the most valuable feature is really the support that HP provides. It also simplifies the process of creating IT assets that are essential to our customers' IT operations.

Improvements to My Organization

Our customers are mainly mid- to small-sized companies. Operations Orchestration, I think, is most useful there because they don't have huge IT departments. It's easy to use in creating IT assets that ultimately help business growth.

It's also something that allows you to secure cloud assets from start to finish and to have complete security control over it.

Room for Improvement

In order for our customers to have a deeper integration of Operations Orchestration, it needs to be offered with more cloud options, whether that's public or private or hybrid. I think this would be a great direction for HP to go in.

I'd also like HP to be more proactive in telling us what their roadmap is for this product. It's a market-leading solution so there are a lot of users, but, as with all solutions, greater visibility of what's coming would be a good improvement.

We haven't had any problems deploying it.

It's highly stable.

It's scaled for our projects.

Technical seems to be just fine. There's no data that says otherwise.

Implementation Team

It's usually an implementation done by the HP folks.

it_user364176
Senior Manager - Cloud Services - Automation and Tools at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
MSP
The main driver for us is its event remediation function. We can get alerts in Operations Manager, extract the relevant information, and either send an email to our customers or use it for escalation.

What is most valuable?

The main driver for us using this is for its event remediation function. We can get alerts in Operations Manager, extract the relevant information, and either send an email to our customers or use it for escalation.

It's also easy to use and we don't have to go through a lot of extensive training. Even other teams within our organization have started to leverage it because it's easy to use.

How has it helped my organization?

We've reduced the amount of time it would take to resolve an incident or to send an escalation to a customer. It's saved us many man hours.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see it in an active-active infrastructure so that if one goes down, the other picks up automatically. Only an active-passive application exists currently.

Also, there are automation tools out there that are more unified -- network, database, servers. Operations Orchestration doesn't do everything and you need to buy other components for other tasks.

It's deployed well for us.

It's been stable for the most part. We had issues during event remediation when a lot of alerts were going through it and we had to increase RAM and CPU to handle the load.

We haven't yet tested its limits or maxed it out yet.

We have a mix of products and it's not the only automation product we have. We're a big HP shop and it's good that it can integrate with other HP solutions that we use.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to list all your use cases first, and really figure out what their trying to do. It's easy, is an easy orchestration tool. It's very visual. If you're not looking to code a lot, it's pretty cool. And it just depends on the level of skillset you have in the organization.

From a coding perspective, if there are open search tools out there that require more expertise than actually scripting, in this, you don't do that. You go to the studio and you drag and drop things and you make things work. So from that perspective it's easy. It's more UI driven.

it_user360492
Senior Database Administrator - Database Services Strategy at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
We use it for building provisioning servers, installing software, maintaining software, patching, and maintenance. I'd like more functionalities around code release.

Valuable Features

The centralization of the administration is what's most valuable for us. We have a larger estate, with a number of servers and different data centers. Because administration for all this is centralized, we can manage everything with a pretty user-friendly system.

Improvements to My Organization

We use it for building provisioning servers, installing software, maintaining software, patching, and maintenance. We hope to also use it for deploying apps in our environment.

Room for Improvement

It's hard to tell what might be some areas of improvement because some of the constraints might be access-based or have role-based access, so I don't necessarily have access to them. Obviously, we have administrators who narrow down the privileges of our use.

But what I would like are more functionalities around code release. We have a lot of people who spend a lot of time manually deploying code into our thousands of environments. So to make all that more efficient and easier, there should be more functionalities.

I'd also like to see more enterprise-level improvements with concurrency and scalability. It should be big enough to work with the state that we have, but I think there are some concurrency issues such that we can only do 10 or 20 things at a time.

It has deployed without issues for us.

We haven't had any stability issues.

For the servers I'm involved with, we have probably 8,000 of them. In total, there's probably thirty to forty thousand servers in our company.

When you get to speak to the right people, they're helpful. But sometimes it's difficult to get to speak to them. The problem is, I think, is that the way we use the products is not that widely used across the globe, so there's not many subject matter experts within HP who can help us. We struggle to find the right person to talk to, though we eventually get who we need.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup.

Other Solutions Considered

We considered both Oracle and Microsoft solutions. However, we wanted to have a single, unified system within our architecture, so we stuck with HP.

Other Advice

I'd suggest that you start small and learn the tool set. Once you've put everything into place, then you can grow.

it_user359718
IT Automation Expert at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees

Valuable Features

It makes it possible to orchestrate a key structure, to generate benefits such as money and time savings, and to increase the quality of our processes.

Improvements to My Organization

Four years ago, we created a new department for automation. Today, the organization has a lot of trust in us and we're placed in each strategic architecture. Everybody knows us, trusts us, and are happy to work with us. We are problem solvers and the innovation robo team.

It allows us to create our logs in a way so that we can read security issues without really having to do customization. Everything that we need comes with a default functionality.

Room for Improvement

The one feature that would be useful for us would be integration of more automation with other solutions. I think this should be possible with newer versions.

HP recognizes the need to integrate each product into one big suite. They are going to offer a new suite for flow orchestration and other processes, but the current way they bundle the products makes it really difficult for the customer to identify which products they need.

We've had no issues with deployment.

HP releases a new version every year, which is currently up to 10.54. We will integrate that version next year, but the current version we have is very stable. We have almost no problems with it.

As far as scalability goes, it has a great architecture and we're able to scale as necessary.

We have premium support in Romania and this works fine. We are completely happy with it.

Other Advice

Just do it. Don't think too long about it.

Principal Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It gives a solid platform to write flows for maintaining DevOps environments, but technical support needs improvement as it's a highly-sought after automation tool.

What is most valuable?

1. Ability to integrate with with other tools like ServiceNow, HPSA, HPOM, SiteScope.

2. Gives solid platform to write flows for maintaining DevOps environments.

3. Supports multiple IT domains such as Cloud, Virtualization, SAP Orchestration, Security Ops, and DevOps.

4. Well-categorized.

How has it helped my organization?

It turned mundane tasks automated.

Flow that we have created does Account creation and termination when and where required.

Flow monitors the health of agents and pushes mail on daily basis.

It also self-heals and does basic remedy.

Multiple users can work on the same automation peace as it supports SCM which internally supports version-ing.

What needs improvement?

Training.

Skilled Professionals

over 4 years

We have no issues with product deployments, where sometimes we used to have few issues like every other software product. We get hot fix, patches and remedy instructions from HP. which mostly resolves issues occurred.

No. Stability is good.

With new version scalability is highly achieved. You can add additional components to existing architecture WITHOUT downtime, which is amazing.

Customer service is one of those areas that definitely needs to be improved.

3.5 out of 10

Needs improvement. HP itself needs to improve skill on this product as this is mostly sought automation tool which offers wide range of automation.

We had used HPSA and found OO can be really handy in terms of automation and started using it.

If you understand architecture, it's quite easy and you can can customize based on your need.

There is never a complexity in OO.

In my previous financial/banking firm we had HP team implementing it. Here in current accounts, I have my hand in implementing.

In my next role with different organization, I'm going to start implementation of OO. I'm excited about this and waiting for the role.

We have saved few million dollars with OO.

Big surprise is we have special GUI based screen where you ROI on every flow.

it_user224268
Senior Technology Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The compliant scans component is a valuable feature but it does need improvement as it tends to impact the overall stability.

What is most valuable?

• Compliance scans
  • Adhoc automation scripts that can be deployed on wide variety of OS flavors

How has it helped my organization?

It has made the implementation of our IT software policies faster.

What needs improvement?

• Product installation
  • Audits
  • Monitoring section

I've been using it for four years.

Lots of issues due to a lack of details, and huge documentation.

We had issued, specifically with the compliance scans component. This part of the product needs improvement as it tends to impact the overall stability of the solution.

Not much, it does a somewhat better job on scalability.

Below average, 2/10. A lot is needed to be improved upon in their customer service.

On a few things it is excellent, but mostly I would rate it as average, 3/10.

I have worked on solutions offered by different OS vendors like RedHat Satellite but HP consolidates all OS based solutions into one single solution.

The application is very complex thus making initial setup also very complex

We had to involve HP to setup and their expertise is great.

• Bladelogic
  • IBM

What other advice do I have?

Initial setup is very crucial and before implementing you should have a clear vision on how to use it for the following two years. Setup processes on the usage, at the initial stages, as it is hard to change that at later stages considering the complexity involved.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a priority vendor
it_user159837
HP Operations Orchestration Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Automated the complete process of ordering, building, and supplying servers but documentation from HP could be better.

Valuable Features

Automations and integrations with several other products.

Improvements to My Organization

Automated the complete end-to-end process of ordering, building, and supplying servers.

Room for Improvement

Better documentation and support from HP.

Use of Solution

4 years.

No – but architecturally the application should be well though-out across domains, firewalls and data-centers.

In 9.x, the clustering environment was very unstable. But in 10.x that has been resolved.

No – it’s fairly easy to scale.

From 1 – 10 – I think HP is about a 4. Support can be slow and frustrating.

Initial setup is complex. Mainly in architecting it. Then again,…

Valuable Features

Automations and integrations with several other products.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

Better documentation and support from HP.

Use of Solution

4 years.

No – it’s fairly easy to scale.

From 1 – 10 – I think HP is about a 4. Support can be slow and frustrating.

Initial setup is complex. Mainly in architecting it. Then again, in building initial automations.

Implementation Team

Vendor team – In 1 – 10 – was about a 7. The application was new at the time, and there wasn’t many vendors with great expertise.

ROI

It’s saved 100’s of man hours monthly.

Other Solutions Considered

No – we’re a pretty big HP shop.

Other Advice

Make sure whoever is implementing it is well versed in programming and infrastructure.

Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
IT Process automation made simple. No Coding or Programming required.

What is most valuable?

HP provides ready to use automation libraries for almost all the IT process automation tasks with no extra cost.

Flexible Licensing model compared to other Orchestration products in the market.

Flow building is completely GUI based drag and drop model.

Horizontally scale-able.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using the HP OO as an integration layer (ESB) between different ticketing (ITSM) applications and Exchange servers. Almost no coding or programming required to build the process/task automation flows.

What needs improvement?

Faster integration with different applications.

Almost 4 Years

Our previous solution requires lot of additional programming.

Installation is Straightforward and simple.

AO & epsilon

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: HP partner
it_user79788
Network Engineer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Has HP Abandoned Operations Manager?
HP Operations Manager has been around a long time in the Enterprise server management space. I first started working with it around 2001, and I’ve always had a soft spot for it, but I’m ready to declare it abandoned. HP has failed to develop the product, and they now seem to be actively working on a viable alternative. HP Operations Manager (HP OM) is an agent-based server monitoring system. Agents are installed on monitored systems. Monitoring policies are defined at the central server, and pushed to agents. This keeps the bulk of the processing local, as agents only need to raise exceptions. It also makes agents very powerful – they can do anything on a managed node – check processes, monitor logfiles, run actions, etc. HP OM can also act as a…

HP Operations Manager (HP OM) is an agent-based server monitoring system. Agents are installed on monitored systems. Monitoring policies are defined at the central server, and pushed to agents. This keeps the bulk of the processing local, as agents only need to raise exceptions. It also makes agents very powerful – they can do anything on a managed node – check processes, monitor logfiles, run actions, etc. HP OM can also act as a Manager-of-Manager, receiving and consolidating events from other systems – e.g. HP SIM, NNMi, Storage Essentials, SiteScope, etc. It has been around in some form or another since 1993. It’s had a few name changes over the years – OpenView Operations, ITO, VantagePoint Operations, and now just Operations Manager. It has Windows and Unix versions (abbreviated to OMW and OMU/OML respectively). The Windows and Unix variants use the same agents, and can share policies, but the administrative and operator interfaces are completely different.

Development for HP Operations Manager appears to have stalled recently. The last update for OMW (9.0) was in September 2010, and the last update for OML/OMU (9.10) was in November 2010. Since then we have seen further releases for the underlying Operations Agent, and some small patches for Operations Manager, but no real enhancements. HP OM has increasingly ill-suited to modern dynamic environments, and unsurprisingly I hear that sales are well down, and crucially support renewals are dropping significantly.

HP OM has not adapted well to modern demands. It does not deal well with VMs being deployed at a high rate. It does not offer service monitoring capabilities. It does not offer any way to connect to cloud provider APIs. The agents have continued to be unstable. The administrative interface for OML/OMU looks like something I wrote over a weekend based on a shopping cart – it does not look like a piece of software that costs tens of thousands of dollars. Or actually maybe it does – Enterprise software in general tends to be ugly. HP didn’t even develop it themselves – they licensed the admin interface from Blue Elephant Systems. The Java GUI for OML/OMU was a disgrace in 2002 – and it hasn’t changed since.

Java GUI circa 2002

Java GUI circa 2012

(OK, so I cheated, those images are the same – but that’s because it hasn’t changed).

I can only assume this lack of development was because they lost out politically, and could not secure the necessary funding and resources. I believe the turning point for HP Operations Manager was the 2006 purchase of Mercury Interactive. This completely reshaped the HP Software division. That portfolio included SiteScope, an agent-less server monitoring system. OM’s design and architecture just didn’t fit into this model. Efforts to integrate them have been derisory – e.g. the system for using HP OM to manage policies across multiple SiteScope servers is the sort of poor code that I might do as a quick hack. It does not meet the marketing message of “fully integrated.”

Also consider this diagram showing how Operations Manager should fit into your overall architecture:

Image from www.softpanorama.net

Note how everything feeds into Operations Manager, which then feeds into Operations Manager i (OMi)? To the uninitiated: OMi is a different product, in spite of the near-identical name. When you look at that, you ask yourself – what’s the point in HP OM there? Why not just feed directly into OMi?

So what’s the future of OMW/OMU? Let’s try reading between the lines – look at the recent announcement by HP about OMi Monitoring Automation. This separates monitoring policies (configuration, thresholds, etc) from implementation (agent-based, agentless). It bypasses the OM server requirement, with agents directly managed by the OMi server. I haven’t seen enough of the implementation details yet to confirm that OM has been completely replaced, but it’s clear enough to me what the future direction is. Development has continued for Operations Agent, but clearly Operations Manager is surplus to requirements. Well maybe it all makes sense – why the hell did they ever have two separate products, one named “Operations Manager”, and another named “Operations Manager i”?

What future for HP OM then? It now only makes sense as a Manager-of-Managers for organisations that are too small to commit to the whole HP BSM suite. Even those organisations need to re-think their use of OM though, as it can’t handle a dynamic environment, and stands little chance of being able to integrate proper APM, or cloud service monitoring. There are other products out there that are better suited to modern medium-sized organisations.

To the HP people reading this: Obviously you can’t publicly confirm any of this. You’ve promised ongoing support to those still paying their annual support fees. But if I’m wrong, then show me the code. Deliver some updates to the product, and show us that it is being actively developed. Vague promises of continued commitment mean nothing without shipping code. To customers using HP OM: My advice is to start planning your migration away from it, if you haven’t already. To customers considering purchasing it: Don’t, unless you’re buying it as part of an overall BSM/OMi implementation, and the salesfolk have guaranteed you can change your licensing over at no cost in future.

Disclaimer: The company I work for is partners with several vendors including HP.

it_user77349
Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
You don't have to be a programmer but make sure to plan for stability and scaleability in your initial design
I give HP Operation Orchestration 4 stars - compared to other similar orchestration products, it is an excellent solution. Use Of Solution: 4-5 years. Valuable Features: The ease of use (Studio). You don't have to be a programmer and it's something that anyone can pick up and put to good use to deliver solid solutions. Improvements To Organization: The best example I can think of is where I had Network Engineering management asking for customizations to Network Automation and reporting that would be done outside of Network Automation. Operations Orchestration provided an easy solution! I was able to integrate Network Automation and Operations Orchestration and create some basic flows that would collect the custom information that the manger was interested in and pass…

Use Of Solution:

4-5 years.

Valuable Features:

Improvements To Organization:

The best example I can think of is where I had Network Engineering management asking for customizations to Network Automation and reporting that would be done outside of Network Automation. Operations Orchestration provided an easy solution! I was able to integrate Network Automation and Operations Orchestration and create some basic flows that would collect the custom information that the manger was interested in and pass that on to Network Automation. Another flow was able to produce the reports they were looking for - the beauty was they were not able to tell that the report was not out of Network Automation and the custom data that was collected wasn't an out-of-the-box Network Automation function.

Another example was creating a solution for a client who had Network Automation, Server Automation and Operations Orchestration. I needed to collect Network Automation logs on a set routine (for support) and was able to create a rather basic flow using Server Automation (OGFS).

Room For Improvement:

It can be tricky of flow management (promotion of flows from one environment to another). Stability and scaleability are something you need to plan for when you do your initial design - I would say it is more stable than it's competitors - make sure you have an idea of how many flows you are planning on running in a set time. Redundancy (disaster recovery) is a bit of a problem, but there are ways to do it.

Note: version 10 does address many of these issues, but wanted to comment on the version I had worked most with.

Deployment, Stability, Scalability Issues:

Initial deployment is great. As I mentioned above, the key for stability and scalability are tied to the initial design.

Previous Solutions:

I have used other products since I started using Operations Orchestration (as it was in use by another client) - BMC Atrium Orchestration.

Alternate Solutions:

I would say it is on par or better than it's competitors. There is also an exceptional community of users who are willing to help and share information - what worked and what didn't work.

Initial Setup:

Rather simple.

Implementation Team:

I've done both, first with vendor team and they were great for ensuring that we had a solid design.

ROI:

N/A - I do not feel I can comment on this as I not involved with these companies. I will say that one client showed ROI based on time & quality savings, the other was in dollars.

Other Advice:

Take your time and plan the design. It is very easy to get over-excited about the power and possibilities with Operations Orchestration and try to do too much too quickly. One should learn how to walk first. The beauty of the product is you can easily add and expand initial flows, so you aren't throwing away your work if you need to add / expand. Take your time, educate staff as to how it works and what it can do for the company. Create a way to evaluate possible flows and part of this can be to figure out ROI on a flow basis (it can be a bit difficult to do after the flow is done). If you are replacing a manual process of existing script(s) - make sure that everything is well documented.

Architect at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
HP OO blows away the competition, but has its fair share of flaws.

Valuable Features:

The ease of both integrating it to other products and just development/re-usability of operations/flows in general. The WSDL importing feature is nice. It’s also the most mature product of the type on the market.

Improvements to My Organization:

I’ve used it at two organizations – both operationally and to provision services.

Room for Improvement:

Simple things are missing – being unable to easily capture flow inputs in an automated fashion is one (I shouldn’t have to write an SQL query for this). Being able to easily debug only certain sections of a flow is another (overriding responses doesn’t cut it). They could also improve on variable tracking within a flow. Implementing a find and replace feature would also be nice, so you don’t have to do it through the XML on the backend. Making a parent flow name available to the subflow it kicks off (outside of central/without going into the database).

Use of Solution:

I've been using HP Operations Orchestration for 4+ years.

Initial Setup:

In a small environment it was very easy to setup. It was already setup at my current company; I wasn’t part of it.

Implementation Team:

I did it myself.

Other Solutions Considered:

We didn’t evaluate prior to using this product, but after using it we did compare it to a number of others on the market at the time – everything from Opalis to Atrium Orchestrator from BMC. OO, frankly, blows the others out of the water. It’s easier to use, has more canned ops, and is just all around more mature.

Other Advice:

Implementing it is pretty straightforward. Be aware that 9 and 10 have some very fundamental differences – HP realized, for example, they are terrible at versioning/parallel development – so they finally offloaded that in OO 10 to SVN. Great call in my opinion.

User at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Challenges transitioning from version 9 to 10
I'm just starting to transition flows from 9 to 10 now. Central definitely seems quicker and more secure. Developing in studio is quite different given that we are now working with projects and are required to reference content packs and their operations (it feels similar to developing in visual studio in the way you create new projects and add references to dll's) but I must admit I am still learning v10. SCM seems to be a great alternative to the public repo in version 9. I'm hoping at some point HP allow us to utilise third party SCM's such as team foundation server so organisations can utilise their corporate SCM solution. My challenge at the moment is converting our custom .Net ops from version 9 to 10. Also with exchange operations within the business…

My challenge at the moment is converting our custom .Net ops from version 9 to 10. Also with exchange operations within the business applications content pack, if you get any invalid ops stating 'Plugin data Jar was not found in studio plugin repository' you may require a 64-bit version of microsoft.grouppolicy.interop.dll on your windows OS. (HP do have a work around)

HP documentation and the OO community have come a long way in providing a one stop shop for content, doco and updates. Although I'd love to see more videos of OO on the community page, such as development of new ops/plugins using maven as this is quite new to me.