OPNsense Overview

OPNsense is the #18 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to pfSense: OPNsense vs pfSense

What is OPNsense?

OPNsense is an open source, easy-to-use and easy-to-build FreeBSD based firewall and routing platform. OPNsense includes most of the features available in expensive commercial firewalls, and more in many cases. It brings the rich feature set of commercial offerings with the benefits of open and verifiable sources.

OPNsense Buyer's Guide

Download the OPNsense Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

OPNsense Customers
CompuNet Systems GmbH,

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about OPNsense pricing:
  • "There are no licensing costs for OPNsence."
  • "OPNsense is a well known open-source tool."
  • "OPNsense is an open-source solution and it is free to use."
  • "It is not an expensive product. Basically, I deployed it because it was the fastest solution to satisfy our needs in open source."
  • "OPNsense is open source software so at this time it is free for us to use."
  • "The solution is not expensive."

MK
Consultant at INCONSYS GmbH
Reseller
Has good performance but I want to see a friendlier user interface

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for VPN connections. We are currently supporting an SAP company, which has many customers, and most customers need a site-to-site active set connection for maintaining the SAP systems. We currently have round about 200 VPNs.

• "The feature I find most valuable, is that the program helped me to realize all the requested functionality that was needed."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to compare all the solutions because they all offer something different. Find out what's available and get a feeling for the product and look at the configurations on the firewall. In the next version, I would like a friendlier user interface where the users can look at and download the configurations for the OPNsense clients. My rating for this solution is a seven out of ten.
    YaserAljohani
    OT/ICS Information Security Specialist at SANS
    A solution that detects and blocks malicious content with good reporting and visibility, but the reliability needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to detect and block malicious traffic, malicious files, and malicious links to protect the internal network from any external malicious website that may contain a virus or malware.

• "The most valuable features in OPNsense are reporting and visibility."
    • "There are issues with stability and reliability."

What other advice do I have?

I don't have any information on the bandwidth and what it can handle, or how many workstations can work with it. This information is very important, but I can't find any resources for this information. The reporting is amazing. You can export reports, you can set the parameters, and export reports based on your needs. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
    Learn what your peers think about OPNsense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
    521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    HP
    Senior Network Architect at Virtua Technologies
    Cost-effective with good reporting and firewall capabilities, but the SD-WAN needs to be enhanced

What is our primary use case?

I am currently working with OPNsense to see if I can learn it. This product is used in small to medium-sized businesses for security, UTM, and other similar operations. We are a solution provider and this is one of the security solutions that we implement for our clients.

• "The most valuable features are reporting, the Sensei plugin, and firewall capabilities."
    • "I would like to see better SD-WAN performance."

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product often depends on the size of the company, although sometimes there are clients that just want FortiGate and they're not open for negotiation. Personally, I like open-source and it's always a bonus if I can get stuff for free. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
    CA
    Owner and business consultant at networks srl
    It allows me to assess our network traffic and has the best user interface

What is our primary use case?

It is the main firewall for one of our locations. We use it for intrusion detection and prevention. We are using the latest software version, but the hardware is not the latest.

• "The VPN server feature is the most valuable. It is integrated with Radius and AAA for doing accounting and authentication. Insight view is also an important feature for me at this time. It allows me to assess our network traffic. I also like the firewall feature. The BSD kernel has a packet filter. It is one of the most solid frameworks for firewalls. Its user interface is one of the best interfaces I have used."
    • "The only thing that I would like to see improved is the Insight or the NetFlow analysis part. It would be good to have the possibility to dig down on the Insight platform. Right now, we can easily do only a few analyses. If this page becomes more powerful, it surely will be a well-adopted platform."

What other advice do I have?

We plan to continue using this solution. Right now, we are settling our networks. We plan to expand its usage, but I don't think it will happen until 2022. It has a good user interface. Its configuration is simple but requires a little planning. It is much simpler than the Cisco ASA configuration. I would recommend this solution. I would rate OPNsense a nine out of ten. I am happy with it.
    Faris Khan
    Support Engineer at Techaccess Pakistan
    User friendly and easy to deploy but doesn't have next-generation firewall capabilities

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as a basic firewall. I'm running my WiFi through it.

• "The solution is good for a basic firewall for a small business or for home use."
    • "The solution would not be suitable for anything large-scale."

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer. I'm not a partner or reseller. I'm not sure which version of the solution our organization is currently using. I understand that it is the most up-to-date version. I updated it two months ago. The solution is good for a small business or home. I'm not sure what the paid version offers or if it has more security features that would be suitable for larger businesses. The version I'm using works well and is simple. It's more reliable than a router. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
    FiorindoDi Agostino
    System Administration Specialist at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
    An open-source security option that is easy-to-use and has a nice user interface

What is our primary use case?

We have primarily been using it for testing at our company, but the normal primary use for the product is as a firewall.

• "The graphic user interface is very good and it is user-friendly which makes the product easy-to-use."
    • "The ability to set the VPN IP address would be a welcome addition."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate OPNsense between and eight or nine-out-of-ten. If I have to choose I would pick nine because it is practically a perfect solution for us. I definitely recommend the product to other people who are considering using this as a solution to use it because it is a good solution.
    JL
    Director at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
    Inexpensive solution with a host of valuable features for SD-WAN protection

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for an SD-WAN firewall.

• "We have found pretty much all the features of the solution to be valuable."
    • "The solution could be more secure."

What other advice do I have?

There are several hundred users in our organization who are utilizing the solution. I would absolutely recommend the solution to others who are contemplating its implementation. I rate OPNsense as a ten out of ten.
    BM
    Owner at a construction company
    A user-friendly solution with an easy configuration and good stability

• "The initial setup is easy. It only takes 15-30 minutes to deploy."

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model. I would advise others thinking of implementing the solution to be aware of what you have to do to, and to plan it out beforehand. The solution is not for everybody, but it's not difficult to set up or maintain. I would rate the solution ten out of ten.
      See 1 more OPNsense Reviews
      Product Categories
      Firewalls
      Download our free OPNsense Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.