Opsview Monitor Overview

What is Opsview Monitor?

Opsview Monitor enables DevOps teams to deliver smarter business services, faster. Our best-in-class hybrid ITIM software helps them be successful by providing unified, actionable insights into modern IT; including hardware, OSs, and applications, on-premises and in any cloud. Visit www.opsview.com.

Opsview Monitor is also known as Opsview, Opsview Enterprise.

Download the Server Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Opsview Monitor Customers

IBM, Cisco, Harvard, Massachusetts Insitute of Technology, AXA, Sky Media, Telefonica, Norfolk Southern, PayPal, Cambridge University Press, Cornell University, BT, Deliotte, Comcast

Opsview Monitor Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Systems Administrator at Antietam Cable Television, Inc.
In graphs, I can check if and when notifications went out.

What other advice do I have?

As a busy sysadmin that wears many hats, it is a relief to deal with this product and the Opsview staff. I don't think there is a better commercial offering in this category, at least for our implementation.
User
The alerting, graphs, and customization of alerts are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Great solution.
Find out what your peers are saying about Opsview, Nagios, Zabbix and others in Server Monitoring. Updated: April 2021.
502,104 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of Technical Operations and Development at a tech company with 51-200 employees
MSP
It supports an unlimited number of users and has timed notification profiles.

What is most valuable?

Alerting and notification features Unlimited users Timed notification profiles

How has it helped my organization?

Our support team are more responsive to failures and potential problems by using the Opsview Monitoring System.

What needs improvement?

MySQL

I have used it for 5+ years.

Sometimes Opsview has crashed, but the multiple master/slave solution provides consistent uptime for monitoring.

No scalability problems – we have 300+ devices.

We have received good support.

I did not…
IT Operations - Senior Analyst / Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows proactive event management for infrastructure and business services.

What other advice do I have?

Plan carefully and use the wiki!
Senior Consultant IT Infrastructure at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
The API is not state of the art, but Opsview helped reduce the number of logs in text files.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product, and if you accept that you have to use MySQL as the database system you will definitely like it. If your installation will cover more than 100 hosts, you should run Opsview on bare-metal.
Cloud Solutions Architect at Clouditalia Telecomunicazioni
Compared to Nagios, the benefit is the simplicity to set up and modify devices.

What other advice do I have?

Get a good book so you can get exposed to all the great functionality in PostgreSQL. I would highly recommend looking at the postgresql.conf configuration settings when you are ready to go into production. In order to get a good price, I think that you need to have a commercial process in place.
Senior System Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The interface is easy to use, especially starting from v5 onwards.

What other advice do I have?

Devise the exact templates you want to create before messing it up.
Solution Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
This "ticks the boxes" for our customers who have been asking for Operational Dashboards.

What other advice do I have?

Plan your deployment options carefully. The dashboards are the real value add for this product in my opinion and enhance customer experience if done properly. Which in turn builds relationships. Most customers are not too worried that you have a 100 events in the system. They need to know and understand that their service is running and available. Look at automation opportunities to speed up deployment processes -- Puppet, Chef, etc.
Internet Services Support & Maintenance Manager, Online & Data Services at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
We moved from the NetSaint and Nagios platforms because Opsview provides the same functionality but with the simplicity of a GUI front end.

What other advice do I have?

Avail yourself of the limited license core version first. Try it out to ensure that it provides all the functionality you require. It’s free to download and install and gives a good flavor of the product's capability.
Infrastructure Support Technician at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
We like the iOS app which lets us acknowledge issues or see warnings from our mobile phones away from the office.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to use the 30-day trial and see if it meets your needs. It fit my needs, my vision, and the price was right.
3rd Line Systems Engineer at a maritime company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I would say stability is the most valuable feature. We use it mainly for networking post-monitoring and service monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

I think everything could have a little bit of improvement with monitoring and reporting. It needs improvements with VMware as well as in a few other avenues. On the whole, though, it's exactly what we're looking for.
System Administrator with 501-1,000 employees
We like the ease of configuration for monitoring of new hosts/services, worker redundancy and load balancing.

What other advice do I have?

Take the opportunity to review all of your monitoring policies if you decide to migrate to this product.
STG Lab Solutions Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
The multi-tenancy that's available through this is one of the most valuable aspects. An integrated logging service would be nice.

What other advice do I have?

As long as you have your expectations on what the system is, then it'll probably meet those expectations. But if you want it to do things that are beyond what it's designed to do, you might need to look at something else.
NOC Manager with 501-1,000 employees
The top features for us are the modification profiles and the initial dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

Start about growing the system from the start. In other words, when we first started using the Opsview platform, we didn't think about being able to have a redundant environment for the system. We didn't think about that many hosts or that many items that we were going to monitor. My advice would be if you're about to start, think big right from the start. It will save you a lot of headaches, and not necessarily because Opsview is bad or not performing well when you try to escalate the system, no. It will definitely be easier for you to start balancing loads and creating backups and things of…
Designer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable feature for us is the flexible alert framework, which allows us to use a variety of alert methods, some custom to my employer.

What other advice do I have?

Do it yourself. Opsview support staff, both incident support and technical liaisons are knowledgeable and responsive, but you will find the greatest utility in the long term by understanding Opsview internals and UI by doing the work yourself. The Opsview installation guides are well-written and provide trustworthy sizing information.
Systems & Monitoring Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
The most important feature is the distributed, highly-available monitoring clusters available in the enterprise editions.

What other advice do I have?

While the product is not perfect, it is better than any other product I have seen or worked with. If you need geographically distributed, highly-available monitoring, this product is great. If you do anything remotely real-time, then you should want your monitoring to be highly available.
Clinical Applications Systems Analyst - HIM/Profile, EHR Alliance at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It reduces the need to manually enter jobs, enabling analysts to focus on tasks that are more important or those which cannot be automated.

What other advice do I have?

I've never installed Opsview Monitor or Scheduler. I believe these are standard applications that come with implementing Cerner Millennium. Many companies reserve these applications for system administrators as they are normally at a higher technical level of understanding and implementing. These tools are great for monitoring and adding new jobs by an applications analyst.
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Opsview flexible, scalable and highly configurable
Opsview is by far the most flexible monitoring solution I have ever worked with. It uses some unique features like autodiscovery and host-templates to make configuring a host really easy. By deploying keywords one can make unique selections within Opsview which can be used to create specialist views and for various reports on availability, performance and SLA's. It is highly scalable using slaves and slave clusters. The Opsview Dashboards allow for advanced visualization of the IT estate monitored by Opsview. The REST API allows for automation on any level (adding/deleting hosts and so on). And finally the Opsview Mobile app allows any user to stay in touch with the system at all times. UPDATE: recently Opsview 4.5 has been released which has proven again to be a step forward in Opsview's…
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to configure and deploy a distributed setup but some minor changes could help improve ease of configuring

What other advice do I have?

Opsview is easy to configure and expand, but make sure you have a good plan on how you want to deploy and use Opsview (you can get a lot off information from their website, documentation site and even on IRC).