OptiView XG OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

OptiView XG is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Network Troubleshooting tools. It is most often compared to NetAlly EtherScope nXG: OptiView XG vs NetAlly EtherScope nXG

What is OptiView XG?

OptiView XG is the first network analysis tablet designed specifically for the network engineer. It combines critical functions necessary to automate root-cause analysis of both wired and wireless network performance issues – whether network or application related to reduce time for problem identification. OptiView XG supports repeatable, effective troubleshooting – whether pre- or post-deployment.

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

OptiView XG Customers

XG is used in all industries. Example customers include: Republic National Distributing Company, Titelive, CitiGroup, Los Angeles Unified School District, Saudi German Hospital, DeKalb County Schools, Valdosta State University, The Everett Clinic, Bio-Reference, Miami-Dade Library, Mitel, Borsa Istanbul, Cimarex, Air National Guard Lowndes County, High Point City, Carrollton City Schools, Kern County, Pruitt Communications and Bosch Group.

OptiView XG Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

it_user713268
Information Technology Manager
Gives us the ability to see our network

What is most valuable?

Gives us the ability to see our network.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us troubleshoot when we have problems.

What needs improvement?

I would like a built-in tap feature which doesn't interfere with the network, and it allows you to see what is happening there. I would also like to see them lower the cost of maintenance. We paid a lot of money for the product and you also have to pay a yearly fee for technical support.

We have been using this solution for three years.

There were no issues with stability.

I was involved in the setup. It was easy.

What other advice do I have?

We can see the sub-net, but we can't…
it_user651840
Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We are looking at packet loss, tracking packets, and figuring out the problems with traffic movement.

What other advice do I have?

You get what you pay for.
Find out what your peers are saying about NETSCOUT, Zabbix, Nagios and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AA
Senior Network Admin at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use it for network discovery, fiber testing, and checking the packet status. It scans the network for problems.

What other advice do I have?

* Make sure that you know what you're doing. * Make sure you know where to do the plugins. There are multiple Ethernet ports. Know which one you want to be part of the network, which one you want for management, etc. Sometimes they interchange those things if they don't pay attention. They just plug everything in there, and then you get screwed up. * You need to know what SFP you're going to use for a 10-Gigabit and a 1-Gigabit port. Those are important things. But again, you have to pay particular attention to those things, or else you will not get any results.
it_user602421
Network Analyst at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Enables site surveys and spectrum analysis.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool and is pretty simple to use. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too hard to use. You don't have to read a bunch of manuals to get it going, at least for the site survey part. For the other issues, such as the analyzer and the spectrum, you will probably need some training. I've got to use it more often. If I had time to play with it, I would, but I don't have time.
it_user613524
Network Analyst at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
The packet capture feature is valuable when there's a troubleshooting issue.

What other advice do I have?

Just test it out. We've always used a Fluke (now NETSCOUT), so I can't really compare it to anything else. The maintenance cost is obviously too expensive, so our management is not going to approve that type of maintenance cost on a yearly basis.
it_user599022
IT Manager/Director at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Most valuable to me is its size and the applications that are loaded on it.
it_user496350
Network Engineer at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
They could improve the tablet hardware itself. It can't support the AirMagnet software.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure the hardware supports the software. I think the software is good. I think it would work better on hardware that would support the software.
it_user479514
Network Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Packet sniffing allows us to see where there are communication errors between devices.

What other advice do I have?

We were able to try it out so if it's possible for you to try it out, it's definitely worth the trial. I'd rate it an 8. The wireless portion of it being a little stronger would probably get it a 10.
it_user225462
Network Architect at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
We utilize it to troubleshoot situations, packet analysis, wired and wireless, sifting of traffic, and then accurate analysis.

What other advice do I have?

Just know that it's a niche product, but it works.
it_user529335
Network Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
We use it to troubleshoot servers and applications. It supports 10 GigE.

What other advice do I have?

I was told that they have something called TruView; I would look into buying TruView as a package with it.
it_user496356
IT Manager at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The sniffer feature helps us troubleshoot user connections by identifying the source and destination. The reporting function codes could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Figure out how you're going to deploy it, and whether it will include online deployment. I think there's a lot of competition out there with respect to the online portion of it. You can put probes and so forth that have a similar function to Fluke on the network. I don't know if there's a software version that's similar to Wireshark that can be deployed and then use Fluke's analytics to get to the root cause. I think it's a good product.
it_user496365
Business Analyst/Quality Analyst at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
When I plug it into a router or switch, it maps my entire network.

What other advice do I have?

You need to be familiar with networking. Some people think you can just kind of plug it in. If you're a PC guy, then you can learn it but you need to understand networking protocols. Basically, have a good solid understanding of networking infrastructure before you purchase this powerful tool.
it_user496344
Network Engineer Supervisor at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It helps me determine whether I need to add wireless access points.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to others and I have recommended it to others. I told my peers at other remote sites about this and three other sites have gotten one. They just love it. We love it. The only reason I haven’t given it the highest rating is because everything can be improved.
it_user496347
Director of Enterprise Systems with 501-1,000 employees
Its network packet analysis and application monitoring help us pinpoint latency issues.

What other advice do I have?

The only thing I could say is make sure that you get help in the beginning to set it up correctly, and then it pretty much runs on its own and you have no problems. That's the only thing my suggestion would be. Make sure you start out at the beginning with someone to help set it up, and then you'll have no issues.
it_user260031
Failure Analysis Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
The GUI’s user friendly and it's portable. It's easy for the field service guys to handle.

What other advice do I have?

Do the proper research into the features that it has and whether or not it's the right fit, because for the cost of how much you pay for, there are other solutions out there that you can get. It's the portability that makes this valuable. If that's really what you're after, you need something that's going to be out in the field and is portable, it's great, but if you're looking for something to set up in the lab or something like that, where it stays fixed, then might not be the right tool. I'm rating it an 8 because it is easy to use and it is portable. Both of those are the positives. The…
it_user490686
Contractor at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use. Its effectiveness has improved the way my organization functions.
it_user490692
Network Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's a great tool for going out in the field. In the beginning, it was not user-friendly. Like anything else, the more time you spend on it, the better you get with it.

What other advice do I have?

It's worth a shot. Give it a try. Definitely a product worth considering. I'm not sure what else is out there on the market at this point in time. I haven't really looked into it, but it would be definitely something you would want to check out. I use it a couple times a month. We use it. OptiView does other stuff. We are just using the tablet. It's just running the WiFi analyzer. I could run that product on other pieces of equipment, but we're just running it on the OptiView tablet. I'm rating it a seven because I haven't used it that much. To be able to say how it could rate higher, I would…
it_user490671
Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It's a valuable network troubleshooting tool. We'd like it to decode IP tunnels.
it_user71994
Director of IT with 501-1,000 employees
OptiView XG enables us to quickly diagnose, repair and even design networks
Our county has more than 110,000 residents. The county’s IT department supports every elected and appointed county entity, including courts, law enforcement, fire, public works, tax, utilities, internal administration and more. The 3,000-node wired and wireless network provides access to more than 700 users and runs a variety of specialized applications, often from small third-party vendors. With 3,000 nodes spread over a 540 square mile area, 3 data centers hosting more than 100 TB of data, more than 20 buildings with indoor wireless, 70 servers and more than 40 virtual servers, and 700 users, our network is complex. My team needed the ability to monitor, and troubleshoot on a comprehensive, network-wide basis, as well as conduct application-specific testing. In the…
it_user480723
Network Admin at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
This helps us narrow down if an issue is a network or application problem.
it_user480744
Network Administrator at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
You can do a packet capture at a line speed up to 10 GB which is critical in a data center.

What other advice do I have?

One thing what I would ask is that they attend the offered training courses. Sometimes they, Fluke Networks or NetScout, will offer training courses for the product in areas close to large cities. They seem to go around the country and have training for particular products. I think a technical or operational team would get great benefit out of seeing all the features of the OptiView XG in real time as opposed to looking at documentation and going through it themselves.
it_user480750
Network Specialist II at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

We don't use them much unless we have an issue. We do the packet capture feature, we do the bandwidth testing and we even get to use the wireless scanning features they have. Those are the features we use.

How has it helped my organization?

When we do a capture, it gives us the details of where the problem is and what it could be. It gives a detailed report of what it found on the network.

What needs improvement?

We use the tablet version, and I'd like it to have a longer battery.

We've been using it for five years.

It's fine. For our organization it's good enough.

It was already in place when I…
it_user479022
Telecom Project Leader at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
We primarily leverage the Wi-Fi analytics software as well as the Wi-Fi survey and design software.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a niche product. It isn't something that's easily used on a daily basis by a large number of people. It is rather expensive, so it isn't something that we can support a large number of.
it_user368679
Sr. System Tech at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
We use it for key devices to let us know if we lost communication with any of them.

What other advice do I have?

I'd give it an 8 because there's little things that we've used it for. I can see it being used for a lot more and I can't rate on anything that I haven't tried, but for the pieces that we have used it for, it has been very accurate and truthful.
it_user279882
Network Services Coordinator at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Layer 2 trace routing, among other wireless features, allows us to tune our networks as we haven't been able to before.

What is most valuable?

All the wireless features are valuable. Also, the Layer 2 trace routing is pretty valuable. In general, it's a very nice product, works well, and it does what they say.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to tune our wireless networks in a way that's never been done before.

What needs improvement?

I've not used it long enough to determine this.

We've been using this model since April, and it was an upgrade from the previous model.

No issues encountered.

How are customer service and

it_user260031
Failure Analysis Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
The product has helped with troubleshooting and has simplified the way the organization functions.

What is most valuable?

Interface Ease of use

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped with troubleshooting and has simplified the way the organization functions.

What needs improvement?

None.

I've been using it for a year, on and off.

We didn't have any issues with deployment.

We didn't have any issues with stability.

We didn't have any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: 9/10 Technical Support: 9/10

No, this is the first monitoring…
it_user259992
Network at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps us troubleshoot problems faster than we would normally be able to.

What is most valuable?

It's too soon to tell.

How has it helped my organization?

OptiView XG helps us troubleshoot problems faster than we would normally be able to.

We've been using the solution for about 2-3 months.

We didn't have any issues with deployment.

We didn't have any issues with stability.

We didn't have any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: I would give it a 9. It's Fantastic. Technical Support: I've never had to use it.

We used an…
it_user147555
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Complete, small, portable and has the power to solve several kinds of problems which makes it a fundamental tool for us.

What other advice do I have?

With this product there is no longer a need to spend hours and hours solving problems related to networks. You can get a report on the origin of the problem and deliver it to the responsible team to solve it.
it_user138162
Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We've rented units to resolve issues on customer networks. It has streamlined and simplified troubleshooting problems.

What is most valuable?

Line-Rate Packet Capture, AirMagnet Integration, ClearSight Analyzer Software.

How has it helped my organization?

It has streamlined and simplified troubleshooting complex networking problems that would be nearly impossible to uncover with other products.

What needs improvement?

The price could come down quite a bit.

About 1 year

Customer Service: 9/10Technical Support: 9/10

We previously used other solutions but switched for…
it_user112182
Manager of Engineering at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Covers all testing parameters, eliminating the need to tweak configurations for testing system specifications.
We’re a business communications provider with solutions that allow our customers to connect anywhere, anytime, and on any device through cloud communications, business phones and collaboration software as well as contact centers. We needed a solid and reliable network testing solution that could provide accurate details in a quick and easy-to-understand format. As the system installer, we work with many service providers and often get service calls to identify network issues. When that happens, our engineers must quickly identify the root cause and tell the appropriate party where the issue resides. The OptiView XG dramatically streamlines this process with its granular testing and reporting that pinpoints the root cause of issues with certainty, saving frustration and critical staff…
it_user112176
IT Analyst at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Whenever I need support, their engineers are fast and spot on in their diagnoses.

Valuable Features

The network discovery ability.

Improvements to My Organization

With network discovery, the troubleshooting process was easy, but with this resource, we can see the pathway from the device to the resource, it's amazing!

Room for Improvement

I wouldn't change anything about the OptiView XG.

Use of Solution

About 6-7 months.

No issues, it's easy to set-up!

Implementation Team

We implemented In-house.

Other Advice

The OptiView XG uses the best practices to understand your network. In this way, I think OptiView XG is the best all in one solution.
it_user108435
Network Engineer at a university with 501-1,000 employees
A portable and durable solution. It's also easy to upgrade hardware to current standards.

What other advice do I have?

Know your audience and IT technical level. You cannot hand this over to desktop support and expect immediately results like with the One-Touch. However, this is still an easier product than interpreting Wireshark, or other similar software. It's also easier to show to others and explain plainly.
it_user71997
Network Manager at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
Saves us time & money by immediately spotting problems & allowing us to drill deeper for insight
Our city’s IT department is responsible for keeping systems running across a wide range of municipal services, from libraries and utilities to police and fire. The department oversees 30 fiber sites, 29 metro Ethernet networks, and a broad range of PCs, servers, databases and Cisco equipment that connect residents and more than 1,600 employees. Our IT team faces two primary challenges. The first is the basic task of working quickly and efficiently to keep all of the city’s systems operating and ensuring workers remain connected. They city’s emergency services add a sense of urgency to that troubleshooting, as they must stay up 24 x 7. Our IT team can’t afford days of guesswork when trying to identify and fix any issues, so for the past several years the team had been relying on an old…
Vice President with 51-200 employees
In place of tools including Wireshark, OptiView provides one solution for gathering, displaying and drilling down data
Deploying VoIP systems requires a high-level of engineering expertise to accurately integrate with existing network and application infrastructure. When not deployed, or when troubleshooting is done incorrectly, they can have a significant performance impact on the existing network and be a point of frustration for end-users. For us, the first step in any new rollout is an assessment to verify the readiness of the network. Unfortunately, our old tools didn't have the functionality to make network assessments cost-effective for our clients. Therefore, we outsourced this portion of the project to an assessment specialist. While they did a great job, it meant we lost out on additional project revenue, which was a strategic disadvantage for our company. In addition, once the network…
Troubleshooting HTTP Connection Issues With Fluke Optiview XG
This is another tool in the HTTP Troubleshooting’ series. I really get excited when I am able to reproduce problems in the lab. With this specific case, the customer was experiencing errors within their web browsers that looked like either a network or server issue. The specific symptom was that certain images would not display. If you waited a while, and ‘refreshed’ the page, more of it loaded or the entire page loaded properly. I’m sure you can imagine the chaos this type of intermittent problem causes. The sequence of events unfolds in the following manner; the client reports the webpage issue to the help desk and the help desk tests the webpage with mixed results. In either event, the problem goes to the server group who tests and finds nothing wrong, and then the problem goes…
New ITU Testing
What does troubleshooting, baselining, capacity planning and implementation have in common? Every one of those tasks involves some sort of bandwidth or throughput validation. Figuring out your true throughput transcends all network disciplines and becomes a common ground in all my engagements. We have all been asked at some point in our careers to prove that your carrier has delivered what they promised. Or maybe that age old question, “How much bandwidth can we get out of your internal network", to justify an equipment upgrade. Traditionally, analysts have used simple ftp or other file transfer applications to ‘load up’ or measure throughput. But as network latency surpassed disk drive delay, these results would be called into question. Simply put, the network is faster than the…
Network Engineer with 51-200 employees
Provides visibility into a network regardless of vendor
When I go onsite to troubleshoot a customer issue, I cannot assume that they will give me access to their network management system. As an independent, I can’t possibly know every vendor’s management system, products and system commands as well. As a troubleshooter, I am always looking for vendor independent to add to my kit that will give me visibility into a network regardless of vendor. In other words, I like the fact that I can use the XG in multivendor environments and monitor various vendor’s equipment without having to mess around with various management systems, commands, etc.. In this example I take you through a brief peek at Fluke Network’s Optiview XG and what information you can gather. The Optiview XG can cause a bit of confusion since it can be sold with Fluke…