Oracle API Platform Cloud Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle API Platform Cloud Service is #16 ranked solution in top API Management tools. IT Central Station users give Oracle API Platform Cloud Service an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle API Platform Cloud Service is most commonly compared to Amazon API Gateway:Oracle API Platform Cloud Service vs Amazon API Gateway. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 51% of all views.
What is Oracle API Platform Cloud Service?

Oracle API Platform Cloud Service enables companies to thrive in the digital economy by comprehensively managing the full API lifecycle from design and standardization to documenting, publishing, testing and managing APIs. These tools provide API developers, managers, and users an end-to-end platform for designing, prototyping. Through the platform, users gain the agility needed to support changing business demands and opportunities, while having clear visibility into who is using APIs for better control, security and monetization of digital assets.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Oracle API Platform Cloud Service Customers

API Matic, Trunk Club

Oracle API Platform Cloud Service Video

Oracle API Platform Cloud Service Reviews

KS
Lead Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy integration with Oracle Cloud and easy to use

• "The most valuable features are the easy integration with the Oracle cloud, and that it's easy to use."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see more security policies and for it to include an on-cloud gateway."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for our providers in Sweden.

Several business functions are exposed to various customers, suppliers, and partners. Oracle API is used to expose their critical business functions to the stakeholders.

How has it helped my organization?

We were using an interface for orders where all of the orders that we were receiving were through text-based files from different suppliers, and partners. Now, we have created one order API and exposed it to our various customers. It is also available for our web-based application portal that the other customers were connected to, directly.

They can place orders directly using this API.

We were not using real-time ordering before this. All orders are now in real-time and we are adding extra features that can tell us who is placing the order and the different levels of access to different types of customers. We can also do direct limiting with API PCS. We have improved our order module with the use of this API.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the easy integration with the Oracle cloud, and that it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The on-premises connectivity can be improved because it is still not at it's best. I still have to install a gateway on-premises, then a firewall API management portal on the cloud.

In the next release, I would like to see more security policies and for it to include an on-cloud gateway.

I have been working with this solution for approximately one year.

This solution is quite stable.

This solution is very scalable.

We have approximately 300 end-users who use this solution.

The technical support is good. We contacted them a few weeks ago.

Previously, we did not use another solution.

The initial setup was ok, it was not complex.

The deployment was pretty quick, but it took a couple of days to complete the setup. We have a team of two people who are in IT to maintain this solution.

We used a consultant to help us with the implementation. The experience was good.

Not very expensive as compared to other API products.

We did not evaluate any other products. We were already using Oracle, which is why went with this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that you evaluate a few products before you choose. Oracle API is good; it's not the market leader, but I would say that the most up-to-date functionalities that you would be looking for in an API are in Oracle. It's also quite stable and their cloud data centers are very stable.

I would also suggest that you define the API before you start implementing any large program. An API strategy is very important before you start setting up a platform. If you don't do API applications, then it doesn't make sense to go with this solution or platform. It will only help when you have a well-defined principle for the API in your organization.

Phil Wilkins
Enterprise Integration Architect at Capgemini
The agility and ease of establishing new APIs has improved our organization

What is our primary use case?

API management to public and internal services. Supporting a microservice model so that the microservices dont get accidentally bound together.

The primary goals are:

-Security

- Audit

- Measurement of service utilization

- Accelerate digital enablement

How has it helped my organization?

Agility and ease of establishing new APIs and configuration.

Deployment processes far simpler than other Oracle middleware tech such as SOA for example

What is most valuable?

Neutrality of where you can deploy a gateway. I have had gateways running in AWS and on-premises running the same API policies. Deployment is pretty easy once you understand what the configuration properties do. The ease by which you can define policies to manage is impressive.

What needs improvement?

The product continues to improve and becomes more feature rich.  We know that there are tools to more closely integrate with Configuration Management.  Features to make more of Identity frameworks.

The product has been very stable. The challenge is the product is getting new features at rapid pace. Earlier versions of the gateway element need to be done manually, although this has been automated more recently.

None encountered so far (the deployment model). If anything the procing model lends itself well to scale. The core engine is very high performance as it has drawn capabilities from the telco.

Like all Oracle solutions, it is often about building a relationship with knowledgeable contacts.

Technical support has been great, but the contacts developed being a beta user have made a difference.

We have used previous Oracle solutions combined with non-Oracle products.

Compared to older products the setup was very simple, for example SOA Suite. Although, as a cloud solution, it is more complex than ICS.

Implemented ourselves.  Talking with Oracle product management and A-Team has helped understand how to get the most out of the platform. This knowledge uis slowly becoming available.

The value proposition is more about what has enabled.

Oracle have switched to a new consumption based model - if you're an existing Oracle PaaS customer - migrate to that as it also brings additional benefits.

Look at the best practise for deployment - more than likely reduce your cost forecast

Yes, a wide range of products, including IBM Power Systems and others.

What other advice do I have?

Think about how many environments you will need and managing how you progress from development to production.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Works for a systems integrator with specialism in Oracle products