Oracle Application Development Framework OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Application Development Framework is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Java Frameworks. It is most often compared to Spring Boot: Oracle Application Development Framework vs Spring Boot

What is Oracle Application Development Framework?

Oracle ADF is an end-to-end Java EE framework that simplifies application development by providing out-of-the-box infrastructure services and a visual and declarative development experience. Oracle ADF simplifies Java EE development by minimizing the need to write code that implements the application’s infrastructure allowing the developers to focus on the features of the actual application. Oracle ADF provides these infrastructure implementations as part of the framework. It also implements the Model-View-Controller design pattern and offers an integrated solution that covers all the layers of the architecture integrated with the Oracle SOA and WebCenter Portal frameworks.

Oracle Application Development Framework is also known as Oracle ADF.

Oracle Application Development Framework Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Application Development Framework Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Oracle Application Development Framework Customers

Financial Regulatory Authority (FRA) of Egypt, Red Samurai, ChB Jelly House

Oracle Application Development Framework Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Application Development Framework pricing:
  • "We use a lot of Oracle products and in total, we pay about £5 million ($6.1 million USD) per year."

Oracle Application Development Framework Reviews

Osama-Alsaif
CIO at Prince Mohammad University
Easy to teach to programmers especially regarding how to capture the technology and how to enhance it

• "There are several valuable features. First is the fast deployment. Also the ease of use."
  • "Lacks tailoring to geographic regional differences and consistent integration with third parties."

What is most valuable?

There are several valuable features. First is the fast deployment. Also the ease of use. It's easy to teach it to the programmers, especially regarding how to capture the technology and how to enhance it when you're talking about the integration with other software.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved with more relevance to the region. We are in the Middle East. Some technologies are not applicable here, especially when we talk about complex integration like with the central bank or government APIs and so on.

Also, in future releases, I'd like to see them integrate voice recognition and machine learning - for the AI to be a fundamental component in the development kit.

I have been using Oracle Application Development Framework for about 15 years.

It is stable, but again, integration is with two parties. So Oracle can mature their products, but on the other side, the third-party software needs to mature enough to integrate and use that stability in their performance. We have some problems with Oracle relative to third parties. Like in one project, there were some loopholes for hackers to penetrate through our main application.

In terms of scalability, as it matures new releases are more scalable.

Usually, it is my technical team that contacts support. Oracle support is great. One of the best that I've seen.

I have not used a different solution in the payment gateway. There are different STKs. Banner has its own STKs, especially for the portal and so on. So depending on the application of the technology provider, they provide their own framework for developing their own software. Again, going back to the integration component.

Oracle Application Development Framework has fast deployment. Depending on the application complexity you're talking between weeks and months.

Depending on the complexity, most likely we will be using some vendor assistance, or consultants, to help us in maneuvering the application. Like integrating between Oracle and Banner. These are two systems that both use the same database but have different applications. The companies do have some standards when we integrate these applications but I need to refer back to the technology owner for understanding the parameters of integration.

Just begin by contacting Oracle. It's hard to find the right place to contact because of a lack of advertisement for their tools and user groups. Last year I was in Manchester for an Oracle conference and I was surprised to know that there are so many tools available on the web. So if clients are going to search in Oracle, they may not find it. There is a lack of promotion from the Oracle side for those tools.

I chose Oracle because they have abundant money and they're technology leaders. They're investing in developing and enhancing their framework. Relying on Oracle will be a cornerstone. Third parties will follow.

I've seen IBM take a back seat here. I've seen Microsoft and SAP and others are taking secondary roles in evolving their application especially for scalability and integrability.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle is the best - I give it a ten out of ten.

Abdallah Alzeiq
Java/ Senior Oracle ADF Developer at Al-Bayanat Al-Raqamiah
Good technical support and the business components are a powerful feature

• "The power of Oracle ADF is in the business components."
  • "Oracle ADF needs more components and the layout can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we use Oracle ADF to develop projects for our clients. Depending on the project, we use different versions.

Some examples of the clients we have are banking institutions and municipal government.

What is most valuable?

The power of Oracle ADF is in the business components.

What needs improvement?

Oracle ADF needs more components and the layout can be improved.

In the future, I would like to have the capability of viewing two objects in the same table.

I have been using Oracle ADF for four years.

My impression is that it's a stable product. We are using it on a daily basis.

Scalability is fine and we haven't had any issues. Our team has about 10 people who are using it.

We have been in contact with technical support and they are good.

I did not use another Java framework prior to this one, although I am trying to learn other technology now. I am working on Spring Boot.

The initial setup is complex, although it can be done with one person.

In my company, we work in PaaS, which is why Oracle ADP is based in the cloud.

I deployed it myself in one of our projects and it took about an hour.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Oracle ADF is to read and study all of the material that is available. This is a product that I recommend.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle Application Development Framework vs. Spring Boot and other solutions. Updated: September 2021.
542,267 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DC
Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good support and integrates well with Oracle products, but it needs to be cheaper and more lightweight

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of integration with other Oracle products."
  • "The application needs to be more lightweight and the performance improved."

What is our primary use case?

We develop software applications using this Java framework.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The application needs to be more lightweight and the performance improved.

This is not an open-source solution.

The price should be reduced.

We have been using Oracle ADF for 15 years.

This is a stable solution.

The scalability is really good. We are operating in a telecom environment and we have about 23 million subscribers.

The support from Oracle, as well as the community, is good. When you ask a question you receive answers or comments to it.

We did not use another Java framework prior to Oracle ADP, but we are probably moving to Spring Boot because we want to switch to a microservices architecture. Spring Boot has better performance and we are interested in moving to an open-source platform.

It will take about a year to make the transition. It will happen in phases, where some applications will be on ADF, whereas others will be on Spring Boot.

Oracle products including ADF are expensive. We use a lot of Oracle products and in total, we pay about £5 million ($6.1 million USD) per year.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of Oracle ADP depends on the application, requirements, and target.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud