Oracle Application Express (APEX) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Development Platforms. It is most often compared to Microsoft PowerApps: Oracle Application Express (APEX) vs Microsoft PowerApps

What is Oracle Application Express (APEX)?

Application Express enables users to design, develop and deploy beautiful, responsive, database-driven applications using only web browser. The Oracle Application Express engine runs directly in the Oracle Database and exploits the database's extraordinarily scalable and efficient architecture. Its framework provides numerous security features out-of-the-box and helps authenticate users using LDAP, Oracle Single-signon, Oracle Database credentials, or HTTP Header variable.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is also known as Oracle APEX.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Application Express (APEX) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Customers

Hepart AG, pharmasol, SATLOG, Collège Bois-de-Boulogne

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Application Express (APEX) pricing:
  • "APEX itslelf is a free product, but you will need to license peripheral components."
  • "When buying the data license, APEX is included."
  • "It's a free solution with no additional costs."
  • "Pricing is expensive, overall on an enterprise system but we consider that it gives corresponding value in the product."

Head of Development and Implementation at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
Powerful development assistance can dramatically speed your production and deployment time

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for creating a lot of applications and functions. In my company, we need a lot of forms, a lot of queries and a lot of reports, and I must develop these things very fast. Oracle APEX makes it very easy to do fast development. For example, I can quickly build a financial report, a product report and I can use it for quickly creating approval workflows. Oracle APEX helps a great deal with these tasks.

• "This product will speed up development time with helpful production aids."
  • "Being able to only design with HTML and CSS can be limiting as to what can be accomplished."

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a very good solution for developing web applications. It's very easy to expand the web application and have strong security in the functionality and availability on the Oracle APEX. I think if some company chooses Oracle APEX as a solution, it's a better base for any web development. On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate APEX as absolutely a 10. When I started to work in my company they solved a lot of problems for creating a small application, a small form for reporting for anything by using Oracle APEX. Now that I use Oracle APEX I…
AG
Senior Database Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Rapidly develop public-access applications that stay stable under load

What is our primary use case?

The only feature which is useful is that it makes it easier to quickly create publicly accessible applications. We were using it to make these applications. We used it in addition to Forms and Report Services because Forms and Report Services at that time were client-server applications. It used to be an addition to the Oracle development environment. Right now I am working on two projects. One of them is using Oracle Forms and APEX.

• "This is a good application for quickly creating public applications."
  • "There is a problem with security because the applications store passwords in the configuration files."
  • "Connections to the application pages are not handled well and at times more than one user can be accessing an application with the same ID."
  • "Fixing bugs is difficult because of how the HTML code is generated. It is not always broadly compatible with browsers."

What other advice do I have?

APEX is a pretty old application and a pretty old environment. Most people are usually trying to get rid of it rather than bringing it onboard. For anyone still considering it, I strongly suggest going to the cloud application because the general strategy of Oracle Corporation is to support applications on the cloud. There are multiple other solutions to consider from Oracle or other vendors as well. On a scale of one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Oracle Application Express depending on the task. For some tasks, it is just perfect. You can say it would be an…
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Application Express (APEX). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
533,638 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Omar Al-Qaysie
Senior Chief Engineer at ministry of electricity
We can develop everything locally with it but it doesn't talk with other databases

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for human resources. We use it as an application for human resources for the Ministry of Electricity. We also use it for the complaint management system, for collecting the complaints from customers about electricity, and tracking these kinds of requests.

• "One of the most valuable features is that we can develop everything locally and deploy it for different kinds of operators in different locations, so we can do our job in one piece. The benefit of that is that others can use these applications. They connect to the internet to do these kinds of applications based on the permissions for those users."
  • "Connecting with Oracle and the relation with Oracle at the database as a procedure needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

In order to go with APEX, you need to know everything about Oracle as a database, starting from a secure fundamental as the beginning, PL/SQL, and administration of the database. You have to know about HTML5, JavaScript query, and jQuery. I would rate APEX a seven out of ten. The drawback of APEX is the relation between APEX and Oracle, there is no relation between APEX and other databases. It's very good for learning APEX and it is stable. Your company has to understand how to invest in it. It is a wonderful database. If it's Oracle, it is the best one in the world. So when we invest in…
Senol YILMAZ
Founder at Avsa Danismanlik Ltd Sti
Easy and cost-effective to develop, install, and deploy

What is our primary use case?

With APEX, I developed a web portal for an insurance company. With this portal, every agency can look at its customer's personal data, their claims, policies, coverage, and collections. I am using this solution and I am developing software for my customers.

• "With only a browser, it is very easy to develop in a web environment."
  • "Visual Builder and APEX should meld in one product."

What other advice do I have?

We are a consultancy firm for IT purposes, software. Especially, we are engaged in the insurance and banking finance sector. We have a very large and deep knowledge of accounting software. Our team is very experienced, senior developers, and business analysts. We are migrating our Oracle Forms to APEX. In the future, we will continue to use APEX. I would highly recommend this product to others who are interested in using it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
MW
Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Develop applications quickly and easily, with excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for developing applications to help with the daily work, customer support, and for production in small to medium-sized businesses.

• "The most valuable features are security, stability, and ease of implementation."
  • "The collaboration and the workflow engine could use some improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Once you start to develop with APEX, you will be hated by programmers and coders. They will want to show you that they can do the same as you can do. My advice would be to just use this solution. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
HN
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy initial setup and scalable but lacks process management

What is our primary use case?

We primarily want to use the solution for rapid development.

• "The solution's most valuable aspect is its Graphics Form Design."
  • "The solution has some stability problems that need to be resolved."

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users of the product. We are still running a test, or a POC, to see if we like how the system operates for our organization. I would rate the solution at a six out of ten. If it had VPN process management, I would likely rate it higher. While I would recommend the solution, it would depend on an organization's requirements.
IA
Owner with 1-10 employees
It has a well-designed architecture and is a simple 3rd party application

What is our primary use case?

The APEX database is based on a SaaS service. We use a distributor based in Malaysia for that. We integrate this with other Oracle technologies. To use Oracle Apex, you require a licence. We rely on our distributors for the service, and then we advise our end users and support them. Our clients invest in Oracle technology for their application platform. Still, the devil is in the detail with the contract, explaining how the new technology enhances their solution.

• "It has a well-designed architecture and is a simple 3rd party application."
  • "It has been reported that the technology is very hard to learn, and the service is expensive."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Apex 10 out of 10.
Vincent Cheng
Sr. Director at LogiCorner Info Tech.
Shortens the development cycle, enabling faster delivery to the customer

What is our primary use case?

Right now, we have two primary use cases for this solution. We are using Oracle APEX to build full-customized ERP systems for big companies and also for small and medium-sized enterprises.

• "Oracle APEX improved our organization by making it possible for us to implement agile project development."
  • "Currently, APEX doesn't have a building workflow engine. I think that's the most important improvement that could be made at this point."

What other advice do I have?

Oracle APEX significantly reduces the effort that needs to be put into development, allowing us to focus more on system analysis.
See 7 more Oracle Application Express (APEX) Reviews
Download our free Oracle Application Express (APEX) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.