Oracle Application Express (APEX) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Development Platforms. It is most often compared to Microsoft PowerApps: Oracle Application Express (APEX) vs Microsoft PowerApps

What is Oracle Application Express (APEX)?

Application Express enables users to design, develop and deploy beautiful, responsive, database-driven applications using only web browser. The Oracle Application Express engine runs directly in the Oracle Database and exploits the database's extraordinarily scalable and efficient architecture. Its framework provides numerous security features out-of-the-box and helps authenticate users using LDAP, Oracle Single-signon, Oracle Database credentials, or HTTP Header variable.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is also known as Oracle APEX.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Application Express (APEX) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Customers

Hepart AG, pharmasol, SATLOG, Collège Bois-de-Boulogne

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Video

Archived Oracle Application Express (APEX) Reviews (more than two years old)

Christoph Ruepprich
User
Rapid development of portable applications including professional-grade GUIs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is web-based applications built on an Oracle database backend. It is suitable for applications from small proofs of concept to enterprise-scale.

How has it helped my organization?

Extreme rapid application development. Allows existing Oracle knowledge base to be utilized for building web applications.

What is most valuable?

This solution offers declarative, low-code development. Improves delivery speed, accuracy, and performance. It provides attractive GUIs allowing professionally-styled applications without the need to know HTML, CSS, or JavaScript. Portability: It can be easily moved to other environments.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see tighter integration with the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. …

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Portability: It can be easily moved to other environments.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see tighter integration with the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.

I have been using this solution for nineteen years.
it_user515487
Principal Data Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It is easy to learn and implement. I would like to see more flexibility and productivity.

What is most valuable?

The valuable feature is simplicity. It is easy to learn and implement.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more flexibility and productivity.

We have been using this for two years.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

What is most valuable?

The valuable feature is simplicity. It is easy to learn and implement.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more flexibility and productivity.

We have been using this for two years.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Application Express (APEX). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Software Engineer at Viscosity North America
Not yet well received from developers because they think it is not mature. From my experience, I think it is just like any other NBC framework that is out there.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is how fast you can do applications compared to other frameworks, like Java and PHP. It will take you three times longer to do what you can do in Apex. You don’t have to cut through a lot of layers to get to the data in your database with Apex.

Improvements to My Organization

From a cost perspective, you can use less resources to build applications. Time to market is another improvement, because you can make applications very quickly. We used to create a NBC project with another framework and write our own modules to access the data, but Apex gives you access to data in your database in a more straightforward way.

Room for Improvement

From a technical perspective, Apex is not yet well received from developers because they think it is not mature. From my experience, I think it is just like any other NBC framework that is out there. The approach is a little bit different, and it is a different part line, but you can still achieve the same stuff.

There are some improvements that could make Apex more robust as well, like integration with third party frameworks in order to have more components. They give you a stock of components that are enough to create a range of applications, but if you need more complex features or are creating something for end users or commercial users you have to build your own. However, being able to create your own features is another advantage.

I’ve never had to open a ticket. I’m familiar with web technologies so sometimes when I find an issue I just know how to resolve it myself, but the Oracle forums are very responsive and used by a large community of people. It is a strong environment, particularly because not everyone can submit a ticket since you need an account with access to the ticketing system in order to have Oracle look into an issue for you.

Apex is already installed in your database, so you kill a lot of steps in that. If Oracle Database is already installed, you pretty much just need to execute one line of code and you will be up and running. It is very straightforward.

Other Advice

If you are looking for performance and speed for your application, I would choose Apex. I would rate it a seven out of ten.

it_user486555
Physical Scientist at a government

Valuable Features

The most valuable features are the ease with which data can be accessed and the improvements that have made the front-end look like a real application. The graphing plug-ins are really good as well.

Room for Improvement

We are excited that they are going to go into the web service world to make the rest of the APIs available. We have been looking for master detail, but that is has been improved quite a bit. Nothing is perfect though.

Use of Solution

I have been using the product for eight years.

It has been consistently stable. We have not had any issues with it.

So far it has met our needs and we hope that it will continue to do so. At the end of the summer, we are moving a flex application to APEX that will be released in August. It will have about four hundred users.

I have never personally talked to tech support, but we have had conversations with the consulting folks about some of the rack solutions for improving data expansion. From my understanding, tech support is very good.

It is always fun having to do the Oracle patches. Our DBAs handle all that, but it does affect us as far as having to take systems down to do the upgrades, which gets a little frustrating. It's manageable though. They take about an hour or two.

Other Advice

It is a free product. Install it and start having fun. APEX out of the box is pretty good and very easy to get started. You can get your data out in five minutes. I’d give it an eight out of ten.

it_user486540
CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's fast, centralized and easy to use.

Valuable Features:

Apex is part of your database. Everything, program logic included, is happening directly where data is, so it's fast, it's centralized and it's easy to use. It's declarative.

Improvements to My Organization:

Apex can help you centralize many things. You can replace spreadsheets that are being sent back and forth with Apex, for example. It increases efficiencies and reduces man-hours.

Room for Improvement:

Apex runs in a browser, so using the latest technology, like push notifications, would be good. It could also have better connections and better reporting in terms of getting files out of it. It could create a PDF rather than just showing data on the screen.

Stability Issues:

This is definitely a tool that is stable, and you can use it even in point zero versions.

Scalability Issues:

It simply scales with the database. There are absolutely no problems with scalability.

Initial Setup:

It is a really straightforward deployment. You just run a script and then copy a directory of files to a server. It's probably the easiest tool that Oracle provides.

Other Advice:

I wouldn’t recommend an official training by Oracle. They are too long and expensive; however, there is tons of information on the web, many books, and a lot of third party trainers that run reduced versions of the introductory seminars. Apex even provides a two-day tutorial that I think is pretty good. It shows you the basic concepts like how to use the tool and what is available.

Senior Software Engineer at Viscosity North America
The most valuable feature is how fast you can do applications compared to other frameworks. From a technical perspective, APEX is not yet well received with developers.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is how fast you can do applications compared to other frameworks, like Java and PHP. It will take you three times longer to do what you can do in APEX. You don’t have to cut through a lot of layers to get to the data in your database with APEX.

Improvements to My Organization

From a cost perspective, you can use less resources to build applications. Time to market is another improvement, because you can make applications very quickly. We used to create a project with another framework and write our own modules to access the data, but APEX gives you access to data in your database in a more straightforward way.

Room for Improvement

From a technical perspective, APEX is not yet well received from developers because they think it is not mature. From my experience, I think it is just like any other framework that is out there. The approach is a little bit different, and it is a different part line, but you can still achieve the same stuff.

There are some improvements that could make APEX more robust as well, like integration with third party frameworks in order to have more components. They give you a stock of components that are enough to create a range of applications, but if you need more complex features or are creating something for end users or commercial users you have to build your own. However, being able to create your own features is another advantage.

APEX is already installed in your database, so you kill a lot of steps in that. If Oracle Database is already installed, you pretty much just need to execute one line of code and you will be up and running. It is very straightforward.

Other Advice

If you are looking for performance and speed for your application, I would choose APEX. I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
Download our free Oracle Application Express (APEX) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.