Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud Enterprise OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud Enterprise?

Oracle Mobile Cloud Service provides everything you need to build out your enterprise mobile strategy using innovative, state-of-the-art tools.

Oracle Mobile Cloud Service provides you with the tools you need to develop a strategy for supporting your mobile development. You get the out-of-the-box services that every mobile app requires, plus the ability to define and implement new enterprise-ready APIs quickly and cleanly. What’s more, all API calls from your Android, iOS, Windows/C#, or JavaScript client applications are made via uniform REST calls, thus creating a cohesive development environment that’s easy to control and maintain.

For more information on Oracle Mobile Cloud Service, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud Enterprise is also known as AMCe, Oracle Mobile Cloud Service, Oracle Mobile Cloud Enterprise, Oracle Mobile Application Framework.

Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud Enterprise Customers
CACI, City of Las Vegas, Avantic, Lloyd's Register, Colab Consulting, PITSS, TXI, Shikun Binui, ECSTeam, Inc., Matrix
Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud Enterprise Video

Archived Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud Enterprise Reviews (more than two years old)

Jijo Joshi
Software Engineer - Development at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud Enterprise: Deliver Mobile Apps faster using inbuilt features

• "Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud Service helps us to deliver the application much more quickly, as it comes with built-in platform APIs for storage, push notifications, analytics, etc."
  • "One of the key areas in which MCS needs improvement is documentation. New features, like Zero Footprint SSO, need better documentation with detailed integration steps."

What is our primary use case?

Our organization mainly deals with enterprise mobility and develops enterprise mobile applications for our customers, using Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud Enterprise.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud Enterprise helps us to deliver the application much more quickly, as it comes with built-in platform APIs for storage, push notifications, analytics, etc. Our customers can also get the details about API performance and reports on custom events, in a graphical format.

What is most valuable?

Valuable features include:

• Built-in platform APIs for configuring push notifications.
  • APIs to generate custom analytics events.
  • Connectors that can be used to connect to various enterprise backends and third-party systems.

Now they have rolled out Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud Enterprise which also helps us to develop chatbots. We have implemented Facebook Channel enabled Chatbots using AMCe that allows to interact with Oracle EBS modules like HRMS. Here user can interact with chatbots to get the details about approved leaves, available leaves & also have the provision to apply leave.

For one of our major clients, we wrote custom APIs in Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud to convert SOAP APIs to REST APIs. We were also able to integrate SSO functionality in their mobile application using Virtual Zero Footprint SSO. Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud has a built in token exchange endpoint that allows to generate SSO tokens using third party JWT
or SAML tokens. We have also implemented Browser Based SSO in some of our client mobile applications.

Solution Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Provides a complete eco-system for implementing mobile applications

What is our primary use case?

When positioning Oracle MCS, our main focus is to implement non-existing Single-Purpose APIs needed by new Mobile apps and to apply basic security mechanisms (Authentication and Authorisation) to the exposed Mobile backends. In addition, we use MCS to depict more advanced Mobile Use cases like the implementation of location-aware services or the management of push notifications.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle MCS enables us to focus on most important part, when doing Mobile Backend development: implementing the needed business logic, which brings value to our customers. Technical details, like the interaction with Push Notification Services from Apple or Google are abstracted through MCS; we as developers just need to declare and configure things, but the "magic" is handled by the platform.

What is most valuable?

Oracle MCS is more than just a Mobile Backend as a Service (MBaaS) solution. It is a complete eco-system for implementing mobile applications, covering typical standard features, like Notification Management, Offline Data Synchronization or Location-based Services.

In addition, MCS provides capabilities for creating Mobile applications using Oracle Mobile Application Framework (MAF). In addition, you can use Oracle Mobile Accelerator (MAX), which is a no-code development platform to create, test, and publish sophisticated cross-platform mobile apps.

Through connectors, MCS can easily be connected to backend services (REST, SOAP, ICS). These connectors make the usage of backend services in Custom APIs much easier since in the connector configuration, things like security can simply be declared without the need for writing any code for such things in your custom APIs.

Custom APIs in MCS are Node.js implementations where things like data transformations and contract tailorings, e.g., only return 10 out of 100 attributes of a business object, can be done to create new mobile-optimized Single-purpose APIs a.k.a., Backend For Frontends.

For speeding up the development of native (iOS, Android, Windows) or hybrid mobile apps (Cordova-based apps, JavaScript apps), MCS provides corresponding SDKs. This makes apps development easier and more efficient.

What needs improvement?

From my point of view, it would be desirable if Swagger would also be supported as a valid description format for custom APIs. Currently, there's only support for RAML.

In addition, it would be good to include further security mechanisms, e.g., allowing authentication via client certificates, which is currently not supported.

Custom API can be based on RAML documents (v0.8) and it is also possible to export the RAML document of an implemented Custom API. This makes custom API creation as well as Mobile app implementation more efficient since there is a common API description available.

With respect to other Cloud Services, like Oracle API Platform Cloud Service, it would be desirable if Custom APIs in MCS can also be based on the Swagger, respectively, Open API documentation format, to be more consistent regarding the overall Oracle Cloud platform, and to be more interoperable between different Platform as a Service (PaaS) offerings.

A second thing that I wanted to mention is that it would be nice to include more features, in the area of security, with respect to authentication and authorization.

Currently, Mobile Backends can be secured by leveraging HTTP Basic Authentication and OAuth2. I’d be happy to see support for a further mechanism, like allowing authentication via client certificates, which would also allow to uniquely identify the device sending specific requests.

Currently, you’d need to fully establish a Mobile Device Management solution to achieve this, which is not required in every case. Adding more features in the security area would give users more flexibility.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Technical support is good and there's also lots of material available. There are many blogs, YouTube channels, and documentation available.

We did not use a different solution before.

There's nearly no setup since it is a Platform as a Service offering. The creation of the cloud instance and the provisioning of the MCS service are the only things to do. It is a really straightforward procedure.

Since I work for a consulting company, we implement solutions based on Oracle MCS for our customers to depict their use cases.

An eye should be kept on the number of planned interactions, where an interaction is a call to an exposed API or Push Notification sent to a Mobile device. The number of interactions might be a significant cost driver. A good application, as well as API Design, is very important.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

MCS should be used for the corresponding use cases and for implementing Single Purpose APIs, a.k.a., Backend For Frontend to be used with Mobile apps. The platform should not be seen as an API Management solution. For implementing a consistent API Management approach, Oracle API Platform Cloud Service should be used.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an Oracle Platinum Partner.
it_user426069
Senior Software Developer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
The Task Flow feature is valuable to our organizational functionality, but they need to enhance the older smartphones to work smoothly without hanging

What is most valuable?

There are two primary features: Task Flows  Easy to link with web service.

How has it helped my organization?

The Task Flow feature provides us with structure and navigation between AMX pages, both bounded and unbounded.

What needs improvement?

They need to enhance it to allow older smartphones to work smoothly without hanging.

We have had deployment issues with older smartphones. Otherwise, we have not had deployment issues.

There was some slowness on old devices, and it is hard to learn if you do not know ADF technology.

We have had no issues scaling it.

What is most valuable?

There are two primary features:

• Task Flows
  • Easy to link with web service.

What needs improvement?

We have had no issues scaling it.

it_user692301
Senior Developer at a tech services company
The hybrid framework and drag/drop features are most valuable. Performance and size of the applications produced can be improved.

What is most valuable?

The hybrid framework and drag/drop features are the most valuable. With these features, it can eliminate some specific skills for specific platforms. For UI components, it's amazing enough to make it user-friendly.

How has it helped my organization?

With the drag/drop, task flow, easy installation and others features, Oracle MAF can help the organization to make the mobile solution easy and quick.

What needs improvement?

Performance and size of the applications produced can be improved.

I only joined the development of Oracle MAF around a month ago, but I have researched mobile application frameworks for around three months.

There were no issues with the scalability.

I cannot rate technical support; but when finding a problem and searching in the community, the response was not great.

The initial setup is easy. Oracle provides documentation and a tutorial that also can be found on Youtube.

It would be better to make the pricing and licensing more suitable (cheaper) for small businesses.

We chose two solutions to for creating mobile applications, Oracle MAF and React Native. Due to the issue in performance, Oracle MAF was used as a second solution with React Native as the main one.

What other advice do I have?

This product is not recommended for a small business. Oracle MAF is suitable for a large company that has an integrated system with other Oracle products. Please take into consideration the performance, price, and size of the application of this product. You need to check if it fits with your business needs.

it_user453894
Lead Mobile Developer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
It's enabled easier transition into multiple mobile platforms. It's confusing to newcomers and there isn't a lot of literature about the framework.

What is most valuable?

• Deployment to multiple platforms with single codebase
  • Oracle support access.

How has it helped my organization?

Enabled easier transition into multiple mobile platforms.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of room for improvement. MAF has enabled ADF developers to work with mobile devices, but the way the framework works might be confusing to a newcomer. There is not a lot of third party literature on the framework.

I've been using it for 12 months.

We had no issues deploying it.

There are some stability issues with the framework, some bugs can cause the mobile application to crash, and there are other visual bugs as well.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

I would rate them 7/10. You can get a lot of help from the official forum.

I used iOS Cocoa Framework. I chose to move to MAF because I work with Oracle in general, and MAF looked like a great framework to work with.

It's pretty straightforward. We just needed to ensure we had JAVA SDK and JDeveloper installed, then we could download MAF.

We developed it in-house.

The product is not yet available on the market so I do not know how much it is going to cost.

What other advice do I have?

Some screenshots of a mobile app I worked on...

it_user522243
VP IT at a recreational facilities/services company with 51-200 employees
It provides reliability and availability for our website.

What is most valuable?

The high availability features are important, like it's a pretty dependable and reliable partner.

How has it helped my organization?

We feel like, as an internet company, we try to achieve 99.99% availability of our website for all users. Since we get fewer bounces in the system, it does provide reliability and availability for the website.

What needs improvement?

A few times, what we encountered is that when we need some things to be patched, or some security bugs, they are not available on time. We need to wait a lot for the patches to be available. So if the patch cycle can be quickened, that would be very helpful.

It's pretty stable.

It's pretty scalable.

I was happy with technical support most of the time.

At a previous company, we considered switching to Linux and all; and for a few of the things. We switched to Linux.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that it's pretty rock solid from the foundation. It's dependable for using in products and systems.

it_user522264
Application Developer at a university with 10,001+ employees
It allows developing one code base for both Android and iOS platforms.

What is most valuable?

Oracle MAF allows deployment of a mobile app to both Android and iOS. It's one code base for both platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

It actually simplifies the development. For both platforms, we use one programming language, which is Java. It is easier for a developer to develop an app from scratch; it's pretty easy.

What needs improvement?

One of the features that would interest me would be mobile app analytics, which would allow us to track mobile app usage.

I think they need to invest more into the functionality of this framework. That's one reason for my rating. Another reason is the performance. Unfortunately, it's still not the best.

It's pretty stable. The problem is performance. Initial releases of Oracle MAF were really slow. They're getting better; they're working on the performance.

I don't think scalability actually applies.

We've had a couple of SRs with Oracle, and they've been pretty helpful.

We didn’t really have any previous solution. We just started with this one.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward; easy to install. Oracle MAF is just an extension for JDeveloper, so it’s pretty easy.

Actually, there are multiple approaches and possible solutions. One of them would be a web app, which would require us to have a separate server.

Oracle MAF was really straightforward. It allowed us to build a native app. We didn't have to add additional hardware. It was an easy choice.

When I’m choosing a vendor such as Oracle, the most important criteria for me is the name and the support.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it.

it_user465804
Senior Technology Consultant at Oracle India Pvt. Ltd
Declarative binding of the UI components with back end services is a useful feature.

What is most valuable?

• Java as a programming language
  • Drag n Drop/Declarative binding of the UI components with back end services
  • Out of the box support for Data Visualization components
  • With latest version, full read and write offline sync support
  • Follows Oracle Alta UI theme for UI skinning
  • Able to deploy and reuse each module as a Feature Archive (FAR) file
  • Support for enterprise grade security features
  • It's easy to use product with a little compromise on app performance and size

How has it helped my organization?

With existing Java developers and minimum learning curve we are able to build Mobile Native applications. This avoided recruiting a separate team for mobile app development and training them. As we can deploy apps developed using MAF to multiple platforms, we avoided having a separate team maintaining separate code bases for each platform.

What needs improvement?

Deployment and run time performances can be improved. Takes lot of time to support new versions of the OSes and platforms.

I have been using this product (Formerly known as "ADF Mobile") from the day it was launched. That is for almost four years.

App performance is inconsistent sometimes.

Size of the MAF app is very large and it would be nice if they could reduce it.

Oracle provides the best in class customer service and support.

I have tried native mobile app SDKs for different OSs, but there is a big learning curve to start development with them, and an app built for one platform can't be ported easily to other platforms. We chose MAF because it has out of the box support for data visualization components, and offers an easy and declarative way to perform development.

The setup is easy to do. The only problem I faced was identifying the path of JDK v8 and providing it to JDev the first time after installing the MAF extension in JDev.

The implementation was done using an in-house team.

MAF is currently free with Oracle Mobile Cloud Service.

What other advice do I have?

I advise people to explore and implement apps using Oracle MAF. I also encourage people to try out Oracle Mobile Cloud Service (MCS) which is the best value add products for enterprises trying to build mobile apps.

Vice President Certus Cloud Solutions at Certus Solutions
Video Review
PaaS for SaaS: Development Tools in the Cloud

What is most valuable?

The short name for the solutions is called PaaS for SaaS. It's one of those names that roles off the tongue, but is not as east to type. Really what it is about is giving people access to the development tools on a cloud platform, so that they can actually extend their applications and have that extension hosted in the cloud the same way that the applications that they've started with are.

How has it helped my organization?

What's happened over the past few years is that people have really bought into the idea of moving to the cloud. One of those benefits of moving to the cloud is that you can't change it, therefore everybody is on the same release, the same version. It's easier to maintain. It's cheaper, all of those things.

Actually, what people want to do is to put things that are relevant to their organization, the things that are different for them, into those applications. There is this, "thou can't change it," but actually we want to. What has happened now is that Oracle have made their development tools, the same tools that they've used, available for you in the cloud. You can build your extension and then integrate the two. Which means that, you haven't changed the application, but you have been able to extend the functionality.

One of the things that we're working on at the moment is we're building an application to maintain an organization's need for immunization. We've got customers who need it for their staff today, we've got customers who are charities, who might need it in an emergency. We've identified immunization as something that people need. That's quite interesting, because you can have it in the system just as a requirement, so in the same way you might say, "oh this person needs a bachelor's degree in science". You can say, they need immunization against swine flu or something. But, actually you need to be able to manage a program. How do you do that? How do you get a whole team immunized? How do you deal with the period of time that they are valid for, etc.? We're building using the PaaS component, an extension application for immunization. It's allowing people to do some of their front office needs in their back office applications. It's a very powerful way of moving forward.

What needs improvement?

Oracle thought a lot about the integration with their products with their wider portfolio of products, their own premise applications. That's fine, where people are using a very straightforward integration but more and more you see people that have got a landscape that no one had considered, or it's their first time with Oracle and the rest of that portfolio is very, very different.

There is lots of different things that people want to integrate with and some of that needs to be improved. There needs to be more integration points, more APIs. The obvious ones are all there and they are all catered for, but for almost every customer, you find something new. One of the great things about cloud is these come along very quickly once they've been identified.

The original review was written in May 2015, and some of the functionality of the integration has improved, for instance there are no several APIs into HCM which make it much easier.

That's one of those great things about cloud, and I don't want to sound like a cloud salesman, but scalability isn't an issue. You're paying for what you use, and therefore if you want to use more, you just pay more for it. There isn't an issue about, "I've got to start off knowing where I'm going to get to". I can try something out, I can scale that out, I can build on it, I can continue to build. It's like having the most ginormous plots of land possible, and then being able to extend my building as much as I need to.

On the PaaS for SaaS side, where I would need help from Oracle occasionally is what are the components that I need. Actually that's more from a pre-sales point of view rather than from a post-purchase support stance, but that's very easy to get. It's very easy to go to Oracle and say, "I'm thinking of doing this, which are the components that are I need, and how can I work with that?" On the actual support side, we do use that a lot for the application, but when you're building the extension yourself, then you're less likely to be using technical support.

The way that we work is we try not to look at the gaps at the very beginning. A customer says, this is what we need, this is our back office and we've chosen Oracle to do that. We try not to get over excited at the beginning about how we could possibly take that forward later. Let's move them to cloud, let's get them to get those advantages straightaway. Then very quickly you start saying, well what things are still slowing you down? What are the manual processes that are happening in your organization?

You know the word "manual" is the big trigger. They say well, we're still doing this on a spreadsheet, and we're still doing this. I just send emails out to these list of people, where I say, okay, that's an area where I want to take it and automate it, and that's where I want to extend my application.

Onboarding is quite an interesting point, and I'll talk more about the applications themselves rather than building, because the building is just using the components. The actual basic onboarding is very straightforward. I can buy an application today or sign the paperwork today, and in less than ten days, I'll have my instances up and running.

What's slightly slow at the moment is if I ask for additional services. I might want to have my organization behind my own VPN, and the onboarding of the VPN service, because that's an additional service, that takes a bit longer. The same with if I want to use single sign-on with my own existing infrastructure, then again that takes a bit longer. There are additional services that Oracle offers, so that I can have the right integration and the right deployment for my organization. They take a bit longer, but the basic onboarding is very, very quick and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

One of the things that happens about cloud is it changes so quickly. If I've had to give in this answer just six months ago, Oracle had four components in their PaaS portfolio, and today, they've got thirty-two. By the time someone watches this video, the number could be whatever. It's very difficult to talk about what's the best part of it, because it's changing all of the time. I'd say the one that excites me the most at the moment are the integration cloud and the mobile cloud. Allowing people to connect to their enterprise and then make that mobile for people, because that's what people need more and more in their enterprises.

My recommendation is always talk to someone who is doing it or who understands it. The PaaS portfolio is changing all the time, so you're not going to be able to find someone who has done exactly what you want to do already. What you need is someone who understands that roadmap, understands the technology that's being offered to you. Then sit down and get them to understand your use case, and then work with them on how, what is the possibilities, what can be done with it.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're partners.
it_user450399
Co-Founder & CEO at TALIUM
Mobile app framework for quick development of c​ross-platform corporate-class mobile apps

Valuable Features:

• Quick cross-platform business mobile app development.
  • Built-in authentication support, on or offline.
  • Rich set of corporate-class UX components.
  • Taskflows - derived from Oracle ADF - are a unique and powerful dev feature for building and navigating through business apps.
  • Embeds a powerful mobile persistence framework for SQL database.
  • Embarks a JVM onboard the mobile platform.

Improvements to My Organization:

The MAF mobile extensions we have built for an ERP in the construction industry have brought huge added-value to users in the field. MAF was especially advantageous to enable both iOS and Android support, facilitate authentication/integration issues, simplify having an advanced offline support, and speed up all corporate-class developments, be them initial or improvements.

Use of Solution:

2 years

Implementation Team:

We did it in-house.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

As of today, there are basically two options for owning MAF licenses. Either as a free license accompanying Oracle Mobile Cloud Service (MCS) licenses, or as an unlimited-usage license for a single MAF application. U.

Other Solutions Considered:

We chose MAF for several reasons -

• Cross-platform
  • with powerful mobile persistence framework
  • Taskflows usage for powerful navigation handling
  • Alta UI
  • Allowed us to capitalize on our Oracle ADF expertise

Other Advice:

MAF is easy to learn

it_user482871
Managing Partner and CTO at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Allows me to write code in my preferred coding language and deploy to multiple platforms.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature of the product is the fact that I can write once, in my preferred coding language (Java) and deploy to multiple platforms. In the beginning the supported platforms were iOS and Android, but recently Oracle was able to add the Windows platform as well.

Improvements to My Organization

Our Java developers can now build mobile apps for all platforms at once. For us, instead of having to hire iOS, Android and Windows developers, we can use our own pool of Java developers.

Room for Improvement

The first one is re-use. There are some concepts of re-use in MAF however, there could be more, and at a more granular level. Currently one can only re-use complete features, whereas it would be nice to also be able to re-use individual 'taskflows'. Furthermore, better support for UI templating would be a very welcome enhancement. What I'mr referring to here is to have UI templates available that enable us to implement Oracle's ALTA UI patterns easier, and not only ALTA UI look and feel.

Use of Solution

I have been working with Oracle MAF since the very beginning, and even before that with its predecessors. If I recall correctly, my first encounter with Oracle Mobile development frameworks was back in 2010. The Oracle MAF framework was released in Q1 2014, and before that I was able to work with the beta of Oracle MAF.

There have been issues with stability in the past, but in the recent releases this has improved.

For us, being a partner with close contact to Oracle Product Management, there has never been issue with service and support. Also, the Oracle forums are very valuable whenever I need detailed technical information.

Initial setup is neither complex nor straightforward, and the initial setup is described in detail in the developer guide. However, this involves many steps. You have to prepare the development machine for multiple platforms (iOS, Android, Windows) and this takes time. Also, acquiring the appropriate certificates can be times consuming. However, this has nothing to do with the MAF product itself, and one would have this with all mobile development tools.

Implementation Team

We did several implementations as an Oracle Partner at our customers. So in this case we are a vendor team. If I look at individual customers I would advise them to start with a dedicated in-house team with support of a vendor or preferred Oracle Partner. This helps the in-house team to get started.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

There has always been a debate on the pricing of the product. People tend to finding it expensive. There are some ways to work with Oracle on that, and one other option is to combine Oracle MAF with Oracle Mobile Cloud Service (MCS). An Oracle MCS license gets you unlimited MAF applications. This is worth considering for every customer.

Other Advice

If you are using other tools from the Oracle stack, and are considering the implementation of mobile solutions, you should definitely consider using Oracle MAF. MAF development is similar to the development of other Oracle Middleware tools/frameworks, thus enabling your existing developer pool to work on the mobile solutions. I would also advice to at least look at Oracle MCS. Oracle MCS can actually help you to open up your enterprise to the mobile landscape, without directly exposing it to the big bad mobile world.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an Oracle Platinum Partner.
Enterprise Mobility Architect at avanttic Consultoría Tecnológica
It's pretty easy to deploy if you have an Oracle ADF development background and you are familiar with tools like JDeveloper. Licensing can be confusing.

What is most valuable?

Very easy to use and start building apps for people with an Oracle ADF background.

How has it helped my organization?

We've been using it to build our first mobile app POC for the company.

We've been using it for six months for POCs on a couple of products.

At the time we got it, the product was not very mature, but in the newer versions the framework has become much more mature/stable.

10/10 - Oracle support is one of the best in my opinion.

Oracle Mobile Application Framework was the first solution of this type we tried.

Pretty easy if you have an Oracle ADF development background and you are familiar with tools like JDeveloper.

We deployed it in-house.

The licensing was very confusing at the time we began evaluating the product, and I'm not sure if Oracle has changed it.

We didn't look at other options prior to commencing our POC.

What other advice do I have?

The product looks very promising specially if you already have an many Oracle production in-house like Oracle SOA.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
Senior Integration Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Enabling push notifications would certainly increase its popularity. Since Oracle MAF consumes REST WebServices, it was pretty fast to build, deploy and consume.

Valuable Features:

Since Oracle MAF consumes REST WebServices, it was pretty fast to build, deploy and consume our existing Oracle ADF applications based on ADF-BC into our native mobile app based on the hybrid model.

Improvements to My Organization:

We developed our native device app using Oracle MAF for our customers and partners so that they can make a note of their applications' status on the fly and submit any queries with reference to their competency applications. The whole business process was driven through our Oracle MAF application.

Room for Improvement:

As Oracle MAF is a heavy product, it doesn’t allow much space to convince customers to go with the product suite. Also, the plug-ins and out of the box features need to be added into the library to offer an easy to use PPR. Also, enabling push notifications would certainly increase its popularity.

Deployment Issues:

We have had no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

The amount of memory it takes has a significant impact when comparing development tools.

Scalability Issues:

It's been able to scale for our customer's needs.

Initial Setup:

We set it up for one of our customers.

Implementation Team:

We worked as a vendor to deliver the native device application for existing Oracle ADF investments of the customer.

Other Advice:

It lacks a number of out of the box features. Additionally, debugging and diagnosing is a bit tricky and not much time has been spent by Oracle on improving the UI.

Analista de Sistemas/Consultor TI at Memora Processos Inovadores Ltda.
It can be deployed on multiple platforms, and it can communicate with banks, web services, and data controls.

Valuable Features

Room for Improvement

It needs more native capabilities built into the platform, and alert messages without the need for plugins.

Use of Solution

I've used it for around a year.

There were no issues with the deployment.

I had some problems with the location monitor in some Android devices, but this has been fixed in newer versions.

We haven't needed to scale it.

Really enjoyed the support service that was provided. Of course there is some difficulty in explaining the problem and even recreating it for them.

It was simple and…

Room for Improvement

Use of Solution

I've used it for around a year.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We haven't needed to scale it.

It was simple and direct.

We did it in-house.

Other Solutions Considered

I researched other solutions that also would attend. The choice of MAF was by now working with Oracle products and also because we are partners.

Operations and IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
The development tools are easy to use by programmers, and it allows us to use pre-existing standard connectors to our legacy system.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature in my experience is that you can develop it just one time for several OS's. This is a native option for MAF, the programming language used by Mobile Cloud Service. You just need to develop or program the app one time and choose the OS on which it's going to run. For example, our CRM application can be executed both in Android and iOS.

It's also available both on- and off-line.

Improvements to My Organization:

We were able to develop an app for our sales reps in just three months, improving their day-to-day tasks. It helped as we did not need to install a development machine as everything is in the cloud. The development tools are easy to use by programmers, and MCS allows us to use pre-existing standard connectors to our legacy system, Siebel.

Room for Improvement:

There are internal processes that need improvement, such as time-off requests and expense report workflows. With the expense reports, for example, we need to collect all physical tickets, fill in an Excel report with the details of each expense, print it, sign it, and send it for approval. They should develop an app in order to just take a photo of the ticket, fill in the app the details, and submit it electronically for approval.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

It is true that we are not as happy as we would like in terms of syncing. Sometimes it takes a long time, but we are working on this. We need to move a large amount of data and it is obviously a problem in and of itself.

Scalability Issues:

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Other Solutions Considered:

We evaluated other solutions, but in the end we always found problems trying to connect with Siebel or trying to have the same app work under iOS and Android. This is why we chose MCF as it allows us to do both.

Other Advice:

It is important to choose a good partner to go with.

Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The AMPA with offline functionality and SQLite cache is one of my favorite features.

Valuable Features

• The AMPA (A-Team Mobile Persistence Accelerator) with offline functionality and SQLite cache
  • Possibility to deploy to three different platforms
  • Easy to consume REST web services
  • A lot of nice visualisation components with animations etc.
  • If you know the Oracle stack with ADF, it is easy to learn MAF
  • A lot of cloud service integrations

Improvements to My Organization

We use multiple apps internally to enter our workslips or to book our travels for customers. MAF is a real help in managing all this.

Room for Improvement

The performance of animations could be faster. Also, the applications archive is quite big and could be better.

Use of Solution

I have used this solution for two years.

A mobile development takes more time than desktop development because of the limitations of hardware, accessibility, and screen size. The little things for optimizations at the end take up much of the time - this should be part of the quote and pricing!

Apple has a strict process of how it deploys an application to devices via iTunes or in a business environment with certificates, etc. This is kind of hellish, but it's an issue with Apple and not a problem with MAF.

We have had no issues with the stability.

It has been able to scale for our needs.

If you use the OTN forum in the correct MAF threads, you receive really fast, really good answers to your problems. Especially for AMPA, the help is great.

Oracle JDeveloper is used to develop MAF. It is a simple plugin and very easy to install and use afterwards. The UI can be designed with drag-and-drop and has a visual designer to provide a quick response.

Implementation Team

I am the project leader for the MAF project at a customer. I also provide help for in-house solutions we create. You should use a REST web service created on an application module inside the business components because the AMPA backend logic is easier to use with the "describe" URL with this kind of REST.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The little things for optimizations at the end take up a lot of time - this should be part of the quote and pricing.

Other Solutions Considered

There exists different hybrid solutions in the market with open source products, but if you want to have support and a real business solution, then there is no better solution that I've seen.

Other Advice

If you know the middleware solution of Oracle called ADF, MAF will feel similar. It is easy to consume a REST web service and it allows you to cache automatically the received data into a SQLite database. With that, you can automatically work offline against this database. Changes are logged and you have the ability to sync the "dirty data" back to the server afterwards. This is a real benefit and is easy to use. Additionally, it allows you to deploy to all the big environments like Apple, Android, and Windows, so there's only one development and multiple rollout possibilities.

A big question for "bring you own device" ideas is the way to handle de-installations and the company's data on a private device. Oracle offers a good sandbox solution for this which can be very helpful to administrate and distribute apps (Oracle Mobile Security Suite).

it_user426078
Head - Enterprise Mobility Partnerships / Oracle Mobility Consultant at RapidValue
Since it's a hybrid application framework, we can maintain one code base for different platforms. It needs more control on gestures and animations.

Valuable Features

Since it's a hybrid application framework, we can maintain one code base for different platforms. Also, we can leverage our Java and JavaScript skills.

Improvements to My Organization

It has helped the organization to reduce the turnaround time and improve productivity as it equipped us to churn out cross-platform applications faster (Android/iOS).

It's helped us to handle end-to-end lifecycle for enterprise mobility solutions.

On top of it, we did not actually have to hire/train new resources as the developers could quickly adapt to the framework as it supports standard technologies such as HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript and is available as a plug-in for both JDeveloper 12.1.3 and Eclipse IDEs.

Room for Improvement

IPA/APK file sizes are very large compared to builds generated using other technologies.

It needs more control on gestures and animations.

While taking iOS builds using JDeveloper, sometimes it fails. To debug, we have to use Xcode.

Also, the IDE gets slower while connecting to subversion.

Also, build generation time is longer comparing to other technologies.

It's stable now, but there are the issues described above.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

Forums and groups are not very active, and we were not able to find answers for our queries by searching documentation.

The initial steps are a little bit complex because a lot of the dependency is related to Java JDeveloper, Android, and iOS versions.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house. Oracle MAF is evolving as of now, but there are some limitations that we came across.

The only challenge with MAF is that the forum support is not up to mark and it sometimes gets difficult to resolve issues/limitations while implementing mobile app solutions.

Other Advice

I would highly recommend Oracle MAF as it is:

1. Single Platform – It handles end-to-end life cycle for enterprise mobility solutions.
  2. Hybrid Framework – It supports developing Android and iOS applications with Single Source Code.
  3. Easy for Developers - to adopt using existing skills
    It supports standard technologies such as HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript
    Java forms the core for Business Logic.
    It is available as a plug-in for both JDeveloper 12.1.3 and Eclipse IDEs.
  4. Speeds up UI development:
    It is based on MVC framework,
    It consists of in-built UI components and CSS features,
    It uses declarative custom components for drag & drop development,
    The platform enables accessing device features such as camera, contacts, GPS etc. using in-built Cordova plug-in,
    Additional plug-ins which allows extension of app’s functionality such as barcode scanning is also available,
    It supports development of applications that can work in offline mode by using local SQLite database,
    Developers can debug the applications using the framework.
  5. Security – It includes extended enterprise security with in-built security framework.
it_user426096
Oracle Fusion Middleware Technical Leader at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The hybrid framework eliminates the need for specific skills for specific platforms. I'd like to see the size of the applications improved.

What is most valuable?

• Hybrid framework eliminates the need for specific skills for specific platforms.
  • Suitable and perfect transition for ADF/Java Developers.
  • Complete suite of rich UI components that fits our needs.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle MAF is based on the Oracle ADF Framework. It helped us to offer mobile solutions easily and quickly without having to learn a complete framework from scratch.

What needs improvement?

• Performance
  • Size of the applications

I've been using it for two years.

We've had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

We have not had any scaling issues.

It could be improved. Sometimes takes too long to receive proper solutions and answers or bug fixes.

I used other frameworks such AngularJS and Ionic as they are free.

The initial setup is quite easy and there is a lot of documentation, tutorials and information published by Oracle.

We implemented it with our in-house team.

From my experience, an Oracle MAF implementation requires very good knowledge of Oracle ADF, Cordova, and Java.

The license is not suitable for small to mid-level clients. I consider the license prices too expensive and Oracle MAF does not offer something new that other free frameworks offer.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle MAF is designed for larger companies who are already running Oracle Fusion middleware products. Oracle MAF can be easily integrated with other Oracle Solutions and then it increases the productivity and the speed for delivering Mobile Solutions. However, it should be considered if it makes sense buying licenses of Oracle MAF or using free frameworks are enough.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Platinum Partner of Oracle.