Oracle BI Applications OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle BI Applications is #7 ranked solution in top Business-to-Business Middleware tools. IT Central Station users give Oracle BI Applications an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle BI Applications is most commonly compared to IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services: Oracle BI Applications vs IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services.
What is Oracle BI Applications?

Oracle Business Intelligence (BI) Applications are complete, prebuilt BI solutions that deliver intuitive, role-based intelligence throughout an organization. These solutions enable organizations to gain more insight and greater value from a range of data sources, including Oracle Fusion Cloud and On-Premise Applications, E-Business Suite, PeopleSoft, JD Edwards, Siebel, and third party systems. Oracle BI Applications are built on the Oracle BI Foundation, a comprehensive and market leading BI platform. This enables organizations to realize the value of a packaged BI application, such as rapid deployment, lower TCO, and built-in best practices, all on one common BI Foundation.

Download the Business-to-Business Middleware Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Oracle BI Applications Customers

Cox Enterprises, Lochbridge

Oracle BI Applications Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle BI Applications pricing:
  • "It is expensive. It is more than 100K for support. You pay for support on top of the standard licensing, which is on a yearly basis."

Oracle BI Applications Reviews

Rehman Mohar
Senior Manager, Software Engineering Client Reporting at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Fast calculations, stable, and good support, but needs more visuals, support for HTML5, and BI Publisher updates

• "Calculations are a little bit faster. It can do the on-the-run calculations much better than other reporting platforms. You don't need any other specific tool. You can use Microsoft Office to start doing things with these reports."
  • "It is very cumbersome and slow for making any changes. It doesn't have that many visuals to show different graphs and charts. It should have more visuals. It also doesn't support HTML5, which is useful for interactive sessions and reporting with dashboard etc. We are phasing it out because we need a newer platform that provides us more flexibility and more designs. Our use case is just to get the utility type of monthly reports, and we need visuals, customizations, columns, and certain sections on the report to show performance and other things. They are not updating their BI Publisher product, which was known as XML Publisher before Oracle bought it. It could be because they don't have that many clients using it. We are using it because we have this solution for years."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for the monthly reports for our business. These monthly reports are similar to the reports that you get from any utility company.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for regulatory requirements. We need to send regulatory reports to a client every month, and we use this application and some other applications for that.

What is most valuable?

Calculations are a little bit faster. It can do the on-the-run calculations much better than other reporting platforms. You don't need any other specific tool. You can use Microsoft Office to start doing things with these reports.

What needs improvement?

It is very cumbersome and slow for making any changes. It doesn't have that many visuals to show different graphs and charts. It should have more visuals. It also doesn't support HTML5, which is useful for interactive sessions and reporting with dashboard etc. We are phasing it out because we need a newer platform that provides us more flexibility and more designs. Our use case is just to get the utility type of monthly reports, and we need visuals, customizations, columns, and certain sections on the report to show performance and other things.

They are not updating their BI Publisher product, which was known as XML Publisher before Oracle bought it. It could be because they don't have that many clients using it. We are using it because we have this solution for years.

We have been using this solution for the last 15 years. We have used its different versions.

It is stable.

It is not scalable on-premises. Because we don't have it on the hybrid or cloud, we cannot scale it to that level.

There is only one service ID that is running all the processes. We have an in-house front-end application with almost 4,000 to 4,500 users.

We have support, and they are good. Their response is good.

In this team, we are using Oracle BI Applications. In other teams, we are using Microsoft SSRS for reporting.

It is complex. Reporting is always complex, and it always requires some kind of customization. Deployment was very quick because we have all CI/CD components.

Oracle was involved in its implementation. Their consultants were working with us.

We have software engineers and field engineers. For maintenance, one person is enough, but for development, more people are required.

It is very hard to measure because some of the reports are mandatory, and you have to create them. There is no other way. There is a benefit, but we cannot measure something like this.

It is expensive. It is more than 100K for support. You pay for support on top of the standard licensing, which is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

They should go for the modern way of reporting. All financial institutes have to look for tools that can give them better visuals as well. They cannot use only numbers.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that we should look for simplified solutions. If we cannot simplify a solution, it is going to give us a problem in the future. At the design level, we should do as much simplification as possible.

I would rate Oracle BI Applications a six out of ten.

AM
Contractor Logistics Support IPT Lead with 5,001-10,000 employees
A robust dashboard with ad-hoc reporting, good support, and positive ROI

• "It has a very robust dashboard and ad-hoc reporting."
  • "The initial setup was complex and it took a lot of time to set up the infrastructure."

What is our primary use case?

We needed a reporting solution to replace Oracle Discoverer. Oracle Discoverer was going end of life. Our primary use case was ERP reporting and EPM reporting.

ERP reporting included accounts payable invoice and payment data, general ledger account data, supply chain purchase order and inventory data, fixed asset data, cost accounting data, and job costing accounts data.

EPM data included a full replacement of our financial reports to the interactive dashboard and ad-hoc reporting. Our past solution was PDF.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle BI has improved our organization by having a more robust solution than Oracle Discoverer. Oracle Discoverer did not have interactive dashboard capabilities.

Our executives wanted a dashboard tool to keep track of our financials and data that would populate our financial statements. Oracle BI was a good fit.

What is most valuable?

It has a very robust dashboard and ad-hoc reporting. With the dashboard, our senior financial managers can easily slice and dice and drill up and down our financial data sets, which they leverage to make good decisions in the future.

The Power BI Transform user interface is very useful and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

For Oracle BI you have to use the Oracle data integrator, which ideally a software engineer would use. With Power BI, you can transform and clean your data with about the same knowledge curve as a power user of Excel. The chart interface with Power BI is easier to use.

I would improve the Oracle BI charting to make it easier.

I would also improve the process to develop ad-hoc reports. To view the development of an ad-hoc report, you have to pass a date parameter.

We have been using Oracle BI Applications for five years.

This is a very stable solution.

This product is very scalable.

Our experience with customer service has been good.

Previously, we were using Oracle Discoverer and we switched because it was going end of life.

We used an in-house team and had assistance from the vendor. The vendor team's expertise was high.

Oracle BI provides good ROI.

We evaluated Birst and SplashBI.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest using Power BI if you have a small to medium size company and you do not do a lot of sharing reports. Otherwise, I would suggest Oracle BI.

Other
Download our free Business-to-Business Middleware Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, IBM, Seeburger, and more!