Schedule a 30-minute demo or reference call with a real user from the PeerSpot community. Available only to members that are in a buying process for this product and have contributed a review that's then published.

Oracle BI Applications OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle BI Applications is #7 ranked solution in top Business-to-Business Middleware tools. IT Central Station users give Oracle BI Applications an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle BI Applications is most commonly compared to IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services:Oracle BI Applications vs IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Oracle BI Applications?

Oracle Business Intelligence (BI) Applications are complete, prebuilt BI solutions that deliver intuitive, role-based intelligence throughout an organization. These solutions enable organizations to gain more insight and greater value from a range of data sources, including Oracle Fusion Cloud and On-Premise Applications, E-Business Suite, PeopleSoft, JD Edwards, Siebel, and third party systems. Oracle BI Applications are built on the Oracle BI Foundation, a comprehensive and market leading BI platform. This enables organizations to realize the value of a packaged BI application, such as rapid deployment, lower TCO, and built-in best practices, all on one common BI Foundation.

Download the Business-to-Business Middleware Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Oracle BI Applications Customers

Cox Enterprises, Lochbridge

Oracle BI Applications Video

Archived Oracle BI Applications Reviews (more than two years old)

MF
Oracle BI Consultant at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
There are already developed objects that allow you to create or improve existing reports. Financial could be improved.

How has it helped my organization?

Improving reports that users use today, providing better reports.

What is most valuable?

There is a multitude of already developed objects that allow you to create and/or improve existing reports in a reasonably easy way.

What needs improvement?

Financial

I have been using the solution for about three years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Technical Support is not great. I do not have much to complain about, as I only had a few questions with no response.

Which solution did

How has it helped my organization?

Improving reports that users use today, providing better reports.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• Financial

I have been using the solution for about three years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I never used a different solution.

Initial setup is direct at times and complex at others, because without a doubt we constantly need the help of specialists in areas for some configurations.

I don't know about pricing and licensing.

I don't know whether other options were evaluated; I am just the implementer.

What other advice do I have?

You need to pay SO MUCH attention to functional configurations. It makes all the difference in the results from BI APPS dashboards.

GH
Database/Application Layer Architect at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Web-based solution enables multiple users to access the same data

• "It's web-based so that I can have multiple users accessing the same data. It provides ease of use and its formatting means we can use the data, export it to Excel, and we manipulate the data afterward if we need to."

How has it helped my organization?

Since we're an Oracle shop, it's an integrated solution with our database.

What is most valuable?

It's web-based so that I can have multiple users accessing the same data. It provides ease of use and its formatting means we can use the data, export it to Excel, and we manipulate the data afterward if we need to.

What needs improvement?

As with any case study that we’ve ever done, it’s not so much a problem with the application or security or anything of that nature. It’s basically the cost infrastructure. Compared to other solutions, it’s one of the more costly solutions out there. It’s the biggest concern nowadays that upper management has.

As far as costs are concerned, as their current version of SQL Server is now on a Linux platform, it's now become something that we are starting to look at it. It is something that we would actually consider now as something that we migrate to.

If we go to the cloud, cost-wise, Microsoft is cheaper than Oracle. In the end, it goes back to cost.

We have no problems with stability. We are an Oracle shop.

As far as scalability, security, and all the infrastructure go, because we are not only an Oracle shop, we also run Oracle-engineered systems, we have no problems with the system itself. It’s a total package that we have. We have the product, the scalability, the expandability. We have all of that and even the ability to move it up to the cloud.

Their support is okay. Sometimes I have to run in circles to get to the correct person, depending upon what the problem is, because sometimes it may be database-driven, sometimes it is application-related. That's my only issue with support.

Since we are an Oracle shop, we have already paid for the cost of that support. My only issue is that sometimes I'm running around in circles to different departments because one refers to the other and then you have to play ping-pong between different parts of the maintenance, the application and the database.

As far as the application layer goes, reporting-wise, SQL Server Reporting Services and Crystal Reports are the ones that we're looking at, if we move from Oracle BI.

The only other thing that we're really looking at is what platforms they're available on. One of our goals is that it has to be on a Linux platform. Moving forward, as far as the end-user is concerned, we're looking for the lowest overhead for them. Because we already have BI, that already has its advantages built into it because the learning curve is lower for that versus other applications.

What other advice do I have?

You need to know what your objective is, whether it's for reporting tools or databases. There are big differences in database structures between Oracle, MySQL and SQL Server.

Once you know which platform you want to be able to use as far as the database is concerned, the reporting tool is just a matter of what flavor you enjoy the most, in terms of ease of use and learning curve. Any of the above products work on any other platform, except maybe Microsoft SSRS. I'm not sure how well that works with NoSQL databases, but I know it works with the three that I'm looking at it. It's just a matter of the flavor of the tool that you're looking at with your databases and the end-user preferences in how they're going to be able to work with it.

Because we already use BI here, it’s a tool that our users are comfortable with and they already know how to use. So switching to another product may be a little more difficult if it doesn't have the same functionality and feel that our users currently have with the Oracle BI.

From my users' standpoint, they would probably rate Oracle BI at around an eight out of 10, because they like the way that it functions. We did have some instances of using Crystal Reports here, at times. We call Crystal Reports more of a presentation-type reporting tool. It looks good when you have to print it and show it but when you have to export it, it doesn't come out the greatest. You have to have things aligned correctly for that data to be exported correctly.

Oracle BI is more along the lines of what we do here because we're a government agency. It’s more of an engineering tool where users can export the data more easily into a drill-down format like Excel and they can manipulate the data again if they need to.

The performance of Oracle BI is fine. The application is fine. We have no problems with it.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, IBM, Seeburger and others in Business-to-Business Middleware. Updated: November 2021.
    555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    it_user486603
    Senior Vice President Of Operations at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    The pre-built data models are great and scalability is unlimited. Setup is complex and it hasn’t been stable.

Valuable Features

It’s valuable because it’s easy. The pre-built data models are great, as is rapid implementation so that you can use all of the pre-developed Oracle features rather than doing the heavy lifting. For the most part, there is such a comprehensive amount of delivered reports with pre-built OBIA that we are finding it to meet 90% or better of the client requirements in relation to that functionality.

Room for Improvement

There are upgrade issues, but we have heard that they are being fixed. There are some JVMs in the product that are outdated as well, and there are some default configuration parameters that it would be nice for Oracle to fix instead of leaving them up to the implementers to tweak the settings after the fact. This is a known thing, so it is something that could easily be corrected in the future.

Use of Solution

I have been using the product for three years now.

It was really unstable when it was first released on 11.1.1.7.1 back in May of 2013, but it has slowly become more stable over time. There are still some glitches right now. For example, if you implement on 11.1.1.8.1 and you want to upgrade to 11.1.1.2.1 or the current release, it is not a straightforward upgrade from 7.1 up. You have to stop somewhere in between. It’s a little bit of a disconnect to have to upgrade twice to get to your target. You basically have to approach it by doing a clean install and then export and bring all of your data back in.

The scalability is unbelievable. It’s unlimited, not only with the data warehouse, but also with ODI. With ODI, you can easily handle large transactions or batch processes bringing the data in.

They are very knowledgeable. We work with the internal development team because we were an early adopter, and it has been great.

It was pretty complex. You have to follow a very specific installation process; otherwise there can be a lot of issues. It became more complex last year with the critical security updates, so we had to add on a week to our installation process.

Other Advice

Look at your source systems. It is only pre-built to go with PeopleSoft applications, JD Edwards and Oracle eBusiness of SAP. If you're not running one of those, it doesn't make sense to buy the pre-built. You also need to consider is how heavily customized the resource system is because it's pre-built based off of the vanilla product sets. Any customizations you've made to the product after it’s delivered, you're going to have to account for in the pre-built data warehouse and even into OBIE. I would rate it a seven out of ten overall.

Download our free Business-to-Business Middleware Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, IBM, Seeburger, and more!