Oracle BPM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle BPM is #27 ranked solution in BPM Software. IT Central Station users give Oracle BPM an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle BPM is most commonly compared to Camunda Platform:Oracle BPM vs Camunda Platform. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 41% of all views.
What is Oracle BPM?
The Industry's Most Complete and Unified BPM Solution A complete solution for all types of processes that provides a unified process foundation, user-centric design, and social BPM interaction. Reduces complexity and risk and increases business efficiency, visibility, and agility.

Oracle BPM is also known as Oracle Business Process Management.

Download the Business Process Management (BPM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Oracle BPM Customers
State Revenue Office Victoria, New South Wales Health, REDISA, Panduit, Total E&P Indonesie
Oracle BPM Video

Archived Oracle BPM Reviews (more than two years old)

Alejandro-Perez
IT Integration Architect at OUTSTREAM SPRL
Provides a lot of flexibility in its processes and is stable

• "Our company is based around Oracle processes. It provides a lot of flexibility in its processes."
  • "We have had some issues with version migration, from one version of processes to another. We would have to call Oracle Services but on a day to day, we didn't have any issues."

What is our primary use case?

In version 11 our primary use case was for traditional BPM on business processes and in the latest version, we implemented case management files. We stopped using it around four months ago but when we did use it, we used it on a daily basis in production.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

I can't say something specific that is especially valuable about Oracle BPM. Overall, it is a very good platform.

What needs improvement?

We have had some issues with version migration, from one version of processes to another. We would have to call Oracle Services but on a day to day, we didn't have any issues.

I would like for the design of the migration of process instances from one version to another to be more visual. It would be very helpful to have visual tools in order to design the equivalence of tasks and process payload between versions. Until now bpm database migration has been needed.

I would also like more UI flexibility, the ADF framework is too Oracle-specific.

I have been using Oracle BPM for around four to five years.

It is stable. Normally, any issues we faced with stability had to do with version migration.

We had around 300 - 400 direct users using this solution. We required around five people to support the product.

We haven't spoken to their technical support directly.

We did not previously use a different solution. After Oracle BPM I used Camunda. Camunda has a different approach. Oracle is heavier in the sense of requirements but it's better for a complex organization in terms of integration to the environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. I would give it this rating because it's stable and it's well integrated with the Oracle platform but there is always room for improvement.

Amir-Khanof
Technical Manager at Royal Visio
Reseller
An enterprise-grade solution with a powerful Workspace and a complete feature set

• "The Workspace is a full, rich application where most users can find what they want. It shows them a list of their work."
  • "Overall, the engine and the UI both have to be made lighter."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle BPM for development in a test environment. It is not used in production.

What is most valuable?

The best part about this solution is that the feature set is complete. When you compare this to other engines, it is very complete.

The analytics, activity guide, and advanced features like correlation ID are very good.

What needs improvement?

The stability of this solution deteriorates when more than one thousand instances are concurrently active.

The Oracle database is not an easy product to maintain.

I would like to see the next version of this solution be simpler and more transparent about what is happening at the level of the database. This would allow users to better understand problems.

The technology that is being used for the UI needs to be updated to make it quicker. Oracle is using the ADF technology, which is a very heavy framework. Oracle cloud uses the JET framework, which is much faster and consumes fewer resources.

Oracle needs to return some of their focus to the Fusion products, rather than concentrating so heavily on cloud-based technologies.

Overall, the engine and the UI both have to be made lighter.

I have been using this solution for about ten years.

We are only using this solution for development, so we do not have many users. However, I know about some of our customers, and one of them has approximately two thousand users. At peak times, there are approximately one thousand concurrent users.

Sometimes a user will have thirty instances, which means that during the peak, there may be thirty thousand instances active in the engine. This level of scalability, however, requires a solid implementation by a team with a lot of experience.

Working with Oracle support is not easy. First of all, most of the time they want you to have a sample case or scenario that they can follow up on. However, in a production environment, you cannot create a sample scenario. For example, you see some errors that are the result of a heavy workload, but this is not something that you can reproduce. It is impossible. Also, these are the kinds of cases that you need support for.

At the same time, if the issue is minor, such as something that you need to set in the configuration, or policies that you need to set in the environment, then the support is ok.

Ultimately, in a huge production environment, the support is definitely not mature enough.

This solution is not used in our production area because of our licensing, and also because of a change in policy whereby Oracle is pushing its customers to the cloud. We are not interested in moving to the cloud and are now instead considering Camunda BPM.

My understanding with Camunda is that the engine is very small, and is not resource-intensive. It requires less in terms of administration. It seems to me that if I have a lot of users then it will be more stable than Oracle. Also, the maintenance will be easier because the application is smaller.

The license will be cheaper for Camunda because, with Oracle, you need to have the database, Weblogic server, the BPM server, and lots of other products.

Finally, I have looked at Camunda’s performance on Youtube and other sites, and it seems to be better than that of Oracle.

If you have an enterprise system then one person is required to maintain it, full-time. Oracle database is not easy to maintain, and in an enterprise application, you need to have a DBA. Normally, if you have one person for Weblogic and one person for the database, it’s enough.

The length of time required for deployment depends on the number of different instances. For example, if you want to have forty BPM and forty processes then the deployment will take a long time.

At the moment we have a deployment of forty instances, and it takes about twenty minutes to run. Most of the time, we need to restart the server because of some kind of error, such as a memory problem. This is absolutely not good in a production environment. The product is not yet mature enough in this regard.

The price of this solution, or with another like Camunda, does not matter because if the organization is rich enough to use a BPM then money is not the issue.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this system is that if they have a good and knowledgable team to support them then they can depend on Oracle. However, if they want to learn this product, for example by going to Oracle university, and then go into production, they are going to be disappointed very soon. As soon as the system reaches a large number of users, everything changes. No information that they get from Oracle university will help them. The only thing that can help is experience and a deep understanding of the environment. Finding a problem may require going beyond the BPM and deep into the database.

This is a product that you can count on. It is an enterprise-level solution that is suitable for very large BPM, and it fits well with the Diagramo system.

When it comes to maturity, this is suitable for an enterprise and I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. Other solutions, such as Camunda, may not fit all of the needs of an enterprise. On the other hand, for stability and high availability, I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Overall, I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Camunda, IBM and others in Business Process Management (BPM). Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SP
Director - Risk and Finance IT at Credit-Suisse (USA)
API interface needs improvement, and machine learning capabilities are needed

• "This solution has given us a quick time to market, the ability to integrate with the rest of the corporate applications, and the ability to hire talent in low-cost locations."
  • "Existing APIs in the product need to be fine-tuned, made more robust and flexible for adoption."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to offer a business process management platform with user-friendly self-service capabilities and powerful MIs.

This solution is a one-stop-shop platform for all business workflow needs, using our own middle-tier and front ends. OBPM is used only for the engine behind the platform.

How has it helped my organization?

We rolled out a business process management platform using this solution.

This solution has given us a quick time to market, the ability to integrate with the rest of the corporate applications, and the ability to hire talent in low-cost locations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the robust workflow engine, service-oriented architecture, and BPM modeling capability.

What needs improvement?

The API interfaces could be more robust. Existing APIs in the product need to be fine-tuned, made more robust and flexible for adoption.

The product should be made available with all its current capabilities addressing known shortcomings on the cloud.

I would like to see current out-of-the-box MIs enhanced, offering more interactive capability.

Introduce machine learning and AI capabilities.

Change the front end and the ability to offer forms for business users.

I have been using this solution for three years.

The licensing model is good.

Senior Architect at AVIO Consulting
Reseller
Process modeling supports the BPMN 2.0 palette of tasks, gateways and events, for business and technical users.

What is our primary use case?

We have used Oracle BPM on projects involving, financial customer on-boarding, accounts payable, loan origination, and capital expenditure approval.

How has it helped my organization?

On a recent project, we were able to seamlessly integrate multiple ERPs into a process. On the same project, we integrated content images and metadata from Oracle's WebCenter Content into the process and its user interfaces. Using BAM, the customer now sees key performance indicators they need to make decisions (e.g., revenue saved through discount achievement for AP invoices).

What is most valuable?

Oracle BPM is easy to use for both the business and developers.  Both personas design process models in a common format, tailored specifically to their skills.

Often overlooked in software evaluations, the integration to underlying databases and applications is an essential element on almost every BPM application. Oracle BPM's tool for service and application integration is the best on the market to accomplish this.

Being able to view and manage the environment is essential during the entire lifecycle of a project. Oracle BPM makes it easy for process stakeholders to manage and optimize their processes.

Oracle BPM Suite is based on the widely used industry standards that both the business and technical people are already familiar and comfortable with.

Specific features that we have found valuable include:

• Process modeling - fully supports BPMN 2.0 palette of tasks, gateways and events for both the business and technical sides.
  • Business rules - Business rules can either be embedded as an integral part of a BPM process or are invoked by the process.
  • Integration - Oracle BPM is layered on top of Oracle's SOA platform, a proven standards-based approach to exposing and integrating databases and backend services using Java EE Connector Architecture (JCA) adapters.
  • Metrics Reporting - a key aspect of Oracle BPM is its ability to gather key performance indicators as work items flow through the process. These metrics are easily surfaced in dashboard reports in both the out of the box end user Workspace tool and its greatly improved Business Activity Monitoring (BAM) tool that comes with the product.

What needs improvement?

Although it is a robust product, its learning curve can be steep without having the proper training and mentoring on the first project.

As with most BPM projects interaction with people is a key element. Creating user interfaces the end users see and interact with as work item instances travel through process can be challenging. If ADF is used, most companies struggle due to its complexity, steep learning curve, and the need to tune it for performance. The web form design tool in Composer (currently an OEM product from Frevvo) is simple to use for citizen developers, but can be lacking in the functionality most projects need.

To get around these issues, the architecture is flexible enough to allow the use of other UI technologies. On new projects we now create and edit forms using Angular JS using REST services. This has made our developers much more productive and the forms perform better.

Version 12c of Oracle BPM, which came out in 2014, took a while to gain maturity. We have now worked through the initial bugs and 12.2.1.3 is a robust release. Oracle BAM that comes with the product has been greatly improved in this version of the product.

Oracle BPM's runtime architecture scales quite well. Each Oracle BPM project is deployed as a composite EAR file that runs in a compiled manner. The environment can be clustered.

Customer service is good overall. The escalation procedures work and when they say "7/24" support they mean it.

Other than the issues encountered in 12c initially, the issues have been handled well by customer support. When the need to escalate has occurred, tickets were escalated and resolved.

Initial setup requires the knowledge of someone familiar with Oracle SOA Suite and WebLogic.

On an initial project, consider getting outside mentors to work with your team. These mentors can be in-house or outside consultants. The vendor is not required in most cases.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am an Oracle ACE specializing in BPM, SOA, BAM and integration solutions.
LG
Senior Enterprise Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
The scalability has been enough to cover our backup operations and order management systems

• "We have more than 800 distinct applications in our IT landscape. We had enough scalability and okay development cycles, and it has been enough to cover our backup operations and order management systems."
  • "The benefit from the tool is we can develop it quickly and easily use it for middleware services. We can publish the services so other applications can consume them. This is providing us some reusability and a type of security."
  • "It would be good if they could provide some additional connectors or an application developer environment for microservices."
  • "It could have easier administration. It takes time to configure and deploy."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a middleware for order management and telecommunication. So far, it has been doing okay. We have a team of 10 developers, and they are implementing middleware services on Oracle BPM, which has been working well. We have been working on a major transformation project that will merge some sub-entity company services into middleware. We have been just checking if we are doing okay, this way we can consider other products. I have been conducting recently research on other ESPs and BPMs as a result.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it as a middleware which encapsulates major services. The benefit from the tool is we can develop it quickly and easily use it for middleware services. We can publish the services so other applications can consume them. This is providing us some reusability and a type of security.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to find secured pathways on Oracle BPM. Especially in my country, Turkey, it is easier to find professional people experienced with Oracle Suite products.

What needs improvement?

In the future, the market is consolidating towards microservices approaching software development product. Microservices can be the future of programming, and the old way of doing middleware and implementing middleware services could shift to the microservices side, so we will need some hybrid solutions. At this time, we use the microservices, and microservices will support external digital applications that we publish on mobile and website. We will keep using the middleware side for delivery and back office systems. Therefore, it will not be 100% microservices or it will not be 100% middleware, but instead we are going to use a hybrid approach where some parts use microservices. Thus, it would be good if they could provide some additional connectors or an application developer environment for microservices.

It could have easier administration. It takes time to configure and deploy. We need more team messaging buzz, like Kafka. People do so much business and logic coding in an ESP site, but what we need more of is lightweight messaging mechanisms, like Kafka. This is also the trend. We need some type of pretense for best practices for new generation programs, which can serve digital customers.

We do not have any problems. Stability is reliable.

We extend its own CPU base so we can scale it horizontally, as far as I know. Therefore, we do not have any major throwbacks in terms of scalability. It is doing okay.

We have more than 800 distinct applications in our IT landscape. So far, we have not have any problems with Oracle. We had enough scalability and okay development cycles, and it has been enough to cover our backup operations and order management systems.

I do not use it, but I am told that they provide good call support when needed.

I was not involved in the initial setup. It was done six or seven year ago. This was before I joined the company.

We have not switch yet, but I have been told we have some major transformations coming our way. We are evaluating if we should invest more on the Oracle side or if we can just check the other tools on the market, maybe use some other vendor, or if we are doing fine. We are looking to do some type of benchmark and maybe there will be fewer seats. It is likely that we will continue with Oracle, because we have good know-how on how Oracle BPM with good know-how from the programmers on the product. So, it is likely that we will select Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

So far, it is doing well, but then market trends are shifting and digitalization is coming. More likely messaging mechanisms, microservices, and faster development cycles are needed. Faster development operations with development paradigms are forcing this. Maybe cognization of the product according to a recent trends on the market would be good.

Be aware of market trends. The shift coming over from the business side is a strong factor. This is so we can develop faster products and have quicker order management. It is important to know about the business requirements.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Its support is most important.
  • Its popularity in the market, especially in my country. This is important, so you can hire skilled people for the tool. Otherwise, you have to go to vendor or extend your company integrators for skills. People who have development know-how is a major criteria in the market. IBM and Oracle products are popular on the market because we can easily find developers and administrators for these two vendors.
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Collecting requirements and being clear what is needed is key to creating a scalable, robust and future-oriented environment

What is our primary use case?

We position Oracle BPM Suite as central process implementation and documentation platform, where the automation part is the more important one. With process automation media breaches can be avoided, business become more agile as well as transparent and existing process can become more efficiently.

How has it helped my organization?

The tool gives us capabilities to significantly increase the transparency regarding business processes and their corresponding executions.

In addition, Oracle BPM Suite allows Business and IT teams to talk about the same things, the business processes, and allows collaboration to document, implement, and optimize the corresponding models.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features of the solution is the capability to allow the implementation of static processes, using the standard BPMN 2.0 notation, and also to address not straightforward, dynamic process scenarios, by providing features for Case Management (Adaptive Case Management, ACM).

To increase the transparency of the execution models to the overall business processes, BPM Suite provides capabilities to document and model the corresponding high-level business processes (Enterprise Map and Value Chains) and the definition of respective KPIs. This can be done using a lightweight, browser-based tool (BPM Composer). With this, it is basically possible to keep and visualize the big picture, which is often missing when doing BPM projects.

In addition, the platform comes with a very solid foundation, which also allows for the implementation of consistent integrated service base.

The capabilities for building consistent integrative solutions, coming with a broad spectrum of connectivity adapters to integrate with third party enterprise information systems, is key for building flexible BPM applications.

What needs improvement?

Support for Decision Modelling Notation (DMN). There is a Business Rule Engine available, but this is not DMN-compatible.

More than five years.

The level of technical support is satisfactory. It depends highly on the affected components and on the way the error can be described, and on what information can be provided.

There is also a lot of documentation available. The development community is also responsive and provides a lot of information in the form of blog posts, webcasts, and presentations.

How complex the initial setup is depends on the requirements.

If you need a highly available, clustered solution (Multiple Nodes), then it's more complex than only creating a single node instance.

If you do it for the first time, it seems to be very complex, but there's documentation available (Enterprise Deployment Guide), which describes the needed setup steps on a very detailed level.

It is necessary to evaluate the requirements regarding platform usage and the main operation area of the platform. A topology blueprint should be created and validated against the following questions:

• How many instances do you expect per day/month/year?
  • What is the average amount of data?
  • Should the environment have High Availability?
  • What kind of integrations/processes will you have - stateless or stateful, long running processes derived from the requirements, and evaluated at the very beginning?

Depending on that, the sizing for the environments should be done.

What other advice do I have?

Collecting requirements and being clear what is needed is key to creating a scalable, robust, and future-oriented environment.

Oracle BPM Suite can be used to automate parts of a company's business processes to increase operational efficiency. In addition, the high-level business processes and KPIs, which are important for specific processes, can be documented. But, without a clear, integrated service architecture, BPM cannot be implemented successfully. You have to think about your processes, on the one hand, and on the needed functionalities provided as Services, based on data from the backend systems.

To ensure robustness and easy changeability of the developed services and components, my recommendation is to set up a Continuous Integration (CI) environment as a first step in every project.

The CI environment is the central platform for automated test executions as well as for deployment automation and is needed to ensure development efficiency and agility with respect to changes in existing components.

As a last point, I would like to mention that BPM Suite needs a proper operation concept. It is essential to maintain the platform. You should also think of retention times for the runtime data and which information needs to be kept, e.g., to comply with legal regulations.

it_user740466
Constultant

• "It has developmental accelerators, which allow for virtually any customization needs which you may require."
  • "Their Case Management set of features is severely lacking and should be a target for immediate improvement dealing with unpredictable processes inside of organizations."

What is most valuable?

• Very solid implementation of BPMN 2.0 standards, in all its aspects.
  • It has developmental accelerators, which allow for virtually any customization needs which you may require.
  • That it is Java based is definitely a plus, in our view.
  • It has a rich out-of-the-box feature set.

How has it helped my organization?

We built solutions based on this product in pretty much all domains, from retail to banking and finance, communications and utilities, and various industries (namely, the aerospace industry), as well as public sector, from applications, which deal mainly with approval processes and auditing needs, to a full blown Service Management ERP for a large retailer.

What needs improvement?

We’ve been using this with our customers for the past seven years. We've been using the 12c version for the past three years.

We had quite a few problems regarding stability, namely in the 11g version. From 12c onwards, we registered a significant quality hike with the latest incarnations being very stable.

No. We have customers generating more than 150,000 processes per day without performance issues.

Technical support is an Achilles' heel for all Oracle products, and this is no exception. It takes forever (several months) to have an issue resolved.

Yes, we used Microsoft technology-based process platforms, such as K2 and Captaris Workflow, but they just didn’t cope with standards (BPMN 2.0) and were particularly weak when you needed a full-fledged, all guns blazing solution.

Setup process improved immensely with the 12c version, and it’s very well documented. No issues.

As with all Oracle products, the licensing over VMware is an issue. You have to license the whole hardware, not just the amount of CPUs you actually use. I would suggest to go to Oracle VM if you need to virtualize this platform.

Also, check the current Oracle process-based platform in the cloud (Oracle Process Cloud Service), as it may serve your needs, and it’s much cheaper to start and run.

Yes. IBM BPM, Appian, K2, and Captaris.

What other advice do I have?

Get a few guys very good an Oracle’s application server suite of products, namely WebLogic, as well as good Oracle DBAs. They will ensure very good platform health and no technical issues with the product.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an Oracle Platinum Partner.
it_user736194
CEO at a tech vendor
A whole development platform used to create your BPM that is well-integrated with WebLogic Server and JDeveloper

• "The default Workspace does not meet all our needs and sometimes you need to create your own custom Workspace."

What is most valuable?

Oracle BPM is a whole development platform (stack) used to create your BPM application. It is well-integrated with WebLogic Server and JDeveloper as IDE is for development. Of course, all of this is quite complex, but once you get it, it is very powerful.

What needs improvement?

Alternatively, you can customize it, but you can hardly find examples for it.

More than five years.

On par with other enterprise supports.

Just standard web applications.

The learning curve is steep, but it is a complex technology.

Oracle has changed its licensing policy and incentivises for you to select Oracle Cloud over other cloud providers, which sometimes might not be what you want.

What other advice do I have?

When starting a project, get at least one super-experienced consultant to draft your architecture and project plan. Once you have the vertical slice, you can replicate it for the different processes you need.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an an Oracle Partner with a lot of experience in Oracle and Java development platforms.
it_user511731
Deputy project manager with 501-1,000 employees
The database access feature is valuable for us. The operations and credit analysis areas need to be improved.

What is most valuable?

The database access feature is valuable for us.

How has it helped my organization?

It has not improved the way we work in our organization.

What needs improvement?

The operations and credit analysis areas need to be improved.

We have been using the product for less than a month.

We had stability issues. We found several issues in the development and production environments.

Not applicable.

I would rate the technical support at a four out of 10.

We switched solutions because we wanted a solution which provides agile flexibility in our credit process.

Oracle solutions are highly priced when compared to competitors.

We did not evaluate any alternative solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate any other solutions first. Oracle BPM has a lack of vision and is very complex to develop and maintain. Support is also very expensive.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We have a business relationship with the vendor in other related products database solutions, content management solutions, and banking solutions.
it_user71436
Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
11.1.1.6- Better functionality and lots of bug fixes
We've used 11.1.1.6 in production for SOA/BPM/ADF for over 6 months now, and I'm alot happier with it than any of the previous versions. Struck threads significantly dropped, better functionality, and lots of bug fixes. If you're waiting for the 'perfect' release that's bug free, you may be waiting for some time! For us, this has been a good release.

it_user69813
Solution Architect with 51-200 employees
MSP
New case management functionalities in Oracle BPM Suite 11.1.1.7
Today I’d like to highlight a nice feature of the newest Oracle BPM Suite Release. I am very happy that Oracle enriched the Suite with certain Case Management functionalities that fit into the existing Service Component Architecture (SCA). In the past month I already had the chance to play a bit with the beta software. With this post I’d like to share some of my experiences. Why Case Management? Business Process Management becomes more and more important. With BPM Suite processes can be modeled, implemented, simulated and executed in a multi-user environment. There are also a lot of different reports available to monitor processes during runtime. We see in our projects, that this kind of automation is especially valuable for processes which are based on routine…

Why Case Management?
Business Process Management becomes more and more important. With BPM Suite processes can be modeled, implemented, simulated and executed in a multi-user environment. There are also a lot of different reports available to monitor processes during runtime. We see in our projects, that this kind of automation is especially valuable for processes which are based on routine work. Some examples are “Hiring”, “Order-to-Cash”, “Order Management”, “Travel Request Management” and so on.

However - we also notice quite a high amount of processes, which are too complex and too flexible to model them in BPMN. We call it knowledge-intensive work. Of course if you have a lot of time you might be able to model almost everything but is it a benefit to have processes which are not readable anymore? How fast is your time-to-market? How easy is it to implement process changes? How can you support the job of the knowledge worker? Some typical domains with a high amount of knowledge-intensive work are Insurances, Banks, Healthcare, Civil Services and Government Agencies.

Let me try to explain the need of case management with our RYLC example. RYLC stands for “Rent your legacy car” and it was introduced in a series of articles as an overall solution example. The main target of RYLC was to explain concepts like service categories, loose coupling, canonical data model, service security and much more (see SOA Spezial magazine for details). The graphic below shows the complete End-to-End RYLC process in BPMN notation from receiving the request, selection of the car, checkout of the vehicle, returning it, creation of the invoice and cash clearance. I highlighted the checkin-part of the process, which covers the return of the car. It is based on an asynchronous message exchange pattern - the process execution stops until the checkin is completed or canceled. In this stage several things can happen.

BPMN Example - Rent your legacy car (RYLC)
The happy path of the process would be that everything goes well and the customer returns the car at the date that has been agreed during the reservation. The extension of the rental period can trigger other actions which are necessary to satisfy the customer. In worst-case the customer might have an accident or somebody steals the car.

A lot of effort and time is necessary to bring all the mentioned varieties into the process. Examples like an accident will result in claim notifications and extended communication with the appropriate insurances. It is difficult to model each potential option. This is where Case Management comes into the game. It helps us to combine different milestones with the appropriate task actions, business rules, stakeholders, resulting events as well as data and documents (see the image below). During the car-checkin different milestones like “In Rental”, “Accident” (optional), “Stolen” (optional), “Returned” and “Approved” might occur. Each milestone consists of mandatory and optional task actions. Their execution order is defined by business rules. The task actions can be system driven (implemented as services) or user driven. Of course similar to BPMN some data and documents are exchanged in each step. Case Management is mainly controlled by the knowledge worker, which means that they affect the “flow” of the case. Therefore the definition of stakeholders and their permissions is another important aspect. Some example stakeholders in RYLC are the insurance holder, driver, car park assistant, front desk clerk and the rental manager. Based on the milestones and the task actions different events can occur that trigger new situations. Case management can support the knowledge worker with the right information (but the knowledge worker keeps the decision & process authority). Better and faster process decisions are the benefits of it.

Key aspects in Case Management
To conclude: Case Management covers complex and unstructured knowledge-intensive scenarios where modeling is too expensive and time consuming. It is non-deterministic, which means that the case flow is dynamically determined at run-time. The case participants choose actions to meet goals. It can be used to enrich existing processes (like in the RYLC example above) or as separate and independent solutions.

How-to define a Case in Oracle BPM Suite?
In Oracle BPM Suite 11.1.1.7 the Case component is introduced as a first class artifact with support for milestones, events, adhoc activities stakeholders and so on. Like BPMN, BPEL, Human Task, Rules, etc. a Case can be created by just dropping it on the composite level. After completing the wizard a case component, a business rule component and an interface (exposed service) is visible (as illustrated in the image below).

Composite.xml with Case component
For now a composite can have only one Case component. Double-clicking on the case directs you to the definition of the component. Here you can define the milestones, case outcomes, data & documents, stakeholders & permissions, user events and translations. The image below shows how milestones and case outcomes can be defined.

Definition of a Case
Furthermore it is necessary to define and implement the case activities. I noticed two ways of creating them. Option 1 is to open the wizard under “New > BPM Tier” and select “Custom Case Activity”. Option 2 is to promote an existing component as a case activity. For the article I decided to go for option 2 – so I promoted the Human Task “Evaluate Claim Notification”. A case activity does have its own definition – a file with a *.caseactivity extension. You can find an example with some of the parameters available for customization on the bottom of the next screenshot.

Definition of a Case Activity
Additionally the business rule created along with the case component needs to be configured. It comes with a set of predefined functions (e.g. activateActivity, withdrawActivity, reachMilestone and revokeMilestone), Facts and Bucketsets (e.g. TEventType, TMilestoneEvent, etc.). The definition of rules is necessary to handle all the different situations of the case. Typical examples are ACTIVITY_EVENTS which trigger new activities or milestones, USER_DEFINED_EVENTS which have been specified in the case definition file or MILESTONE_EVENTS which trigger the appropriate case activities (see the screenshot below). There are many different options and I hope that some documentation material is going to be published soon.

Definition of a Case Rule
During runtime you can take advantage of the monitoring capabilities from the Enterprise Manager – as you might already know from BPMN or BPEL processes. How many case-instances have been started in which time frame? Which milestones have been reached? Did there a fault occur? Which rules and which activities have been activated? The screenshot below shows the instance information of Oracle’s "EURent" Case Management example.

Monitoring of Case instances in EM

With the new Case Management functionalities BPM Suite confirms its outstanding position. I couldn’t wait to play with the software and I am really happy to demonstrate the new product capabilities to our customers. What I didn’t mention so far is the importance of user interfaces and tight integration with content management systems like WebCenter. So there is more to come :-)

Disclaimer: The company I work for is partners with several vendors including Oracle

Download our free Business Process Management (BPM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Camunda, IBM, and more!