Oracle Cloud Platform Overview

Oracle Cloud Platform is the #3 ranked solution in our list of PaaS Services. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure: Oracle Cloud Platform vs Microsoft Azure

What is Oracle Cloud Platform?

The Oracle Cloud Platform (also known as Platform as a Service or PaaS) provides a shared and elastically scalable platform for consolidation of existing applications and new application development and deployment. The Oracle Cloud Platform delivers cost savings through standardization and higher utilization of the shard platform across multiple applications.

Oracle Cloud Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Cloud Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Oracle Cloud Platform Customers

Sascar, Banca Transilvania, UL, Grupo Aerom_xico SAB de CV, Grupo Arcor, Australian Finance Group Ltd., MakeMyTrip Ltd., Kovaion Consulting India Pvt. Ltd., Kalpataru Ltd, Shelf Drilling Ltd.

Oracle Cloud Platform Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Cloud Platform pricing:
  • "It's not that expensive. I think it's maybe half or one-fourth of our actual on-prem cost, especially in Oracle Data Integrator. It's pretty cheap. Maybe around $30,000 or $40,000 per month."
  • "There is a subscription cost rather than licensing for this product."
  • "On a monthly basis, we pay around $2,500 for licensing fees, with no additional costs. We do pay extra licensing for other on-premises solutions, but these are not related to Oracle Cloud Platform."

PT
Enterprise Analytic Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Easily upgradable but it lacks customization abilities for users

What is our primary use case?

We are using the public model of this solution. We have a strong Oracle investment in data within our reporting platform. This was a logical extension because Oracle provides seamless integration. That's why we picked it.

• "In terms of features, upgradeability to the latest version of Oracle suites has been a good feature. All we have to do is just patching or an upgrade, it's pretty easy. Then, it gets regularly updated. That's what I like about it."
  • "The packaging part of the software needs improvement. It lacks customization abilities for users. Giving them VMs for machine learning or running their own programs like Azure and Amazon, for example. Things like scalability based on the requirement of the tools. Oracle still lacks these kinds of things. For example, if you need a VM from Oracle, you need to pay for a monthly fee. They started developing containership but it's still at the initial stage and it's still lacking. They also need to develop integration between packages."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be, if you have enough to invest in Oracle, I would recommend going for it. If an organization has OBI, Oracle Business Intelligence reporting platform, which is quite mature, and they want to move into cloud, Oracle's a good fit for them because it's easier to move. If you don't have anything set and you don't have that much of investment in Oracle, I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend Amazon because of the sheer fact that it's a much more stable integration. You get a lot more options. You can play a lot more in terms of upscaling or downscaling the solution. I would…
SB
Sr. Architect, Technology Transformation Group at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Flexibility in supporting different capabilities and integrations make this excellent for moving to the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We are both users as well as a company of consultants who do the implementations of the product for customers. In comparison to an on-premises solution, I am going to say that simply the ease-of-implementation and ease-of-usage are the primary uses for us. The options and ease of deploying the cloud product make opportunities for us to work in different ways with our customers.

• "Just having the many options and features offered by the product through the cloud is a major benefit."
  • "The product could use some more development and maturity so it has more peripheral functionality already integrated."

What other advice do I have?

I do recommend the Oracle Cloud Platform. I recommend it for our use and we also do Oracle consulting. We use Oracle and we also recommend Oracle products. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as eight and one-quarter. It is better than an eight, but not so close to nine.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Cloud Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DanielMoreno
IT Architect at Orbis Data
Great database with good stability and a very good interface

What is our primary use case?

We are solutions implementors. My first project was an e-commerce platform and mobile application for clients where clients could check credit cards and their status. It's information about the last products purchased. We used the Oracle Cloud Platform for this.

• "The pricing of the solution is pretty good."
  • "I work with many clouds and I would say, in comparison, others have a better presentation of services and they have clearer steps in terms of implementation."

What other advice do I have?

It's one of the best databases in the market. We've found it to be very stable in the new versions. You can plug it into other services easily. As a database solution, it's been very good and you can implement it very quickly. Overall, I would rate the product at a nine out of ten.
MA
Senior System Administrator at a marketing services firm with 201-500 employees
Eases the deployment of Oracle Linux server instances and provides good database performance

What is our primary use case?

Right now we're using two cloud platforms, one being Oracle Cloud Platform and the other Microsoft Azure. We've been using Oracle Cloud Platform since 2018 and Azure since 2015. We use Oracle Cloud Platform with the OCI Infrastructure as a Service offerings, and we're essentially using it for the compute instances and nothing else. We have deployed some servers running Oracle Linux which are being used as our main development environment. Then, we also have servers for our UAT (User Acceptance Testing) environment. Neither of these use cases are for production environments, and they are only… more »

• "I like having the ability to easily run Oracle Linux server instances and to deploy Oracle Middleware and WebLogic servers. Oracle's Infrastructure as a Service products are also very useful, and we're using those right now within Oracle OCI."
  • "I think that there could be a more user-friendly environment when it comes to the options that Oracle presents through the Oracle Cloud Platform."

What other advice do I have?

We're not using that many products within Oracle Cloud Platform, but nevertheless I can recommend it. Especially when it comes to the Database as a Service, which we use a lot. I can easily vouch for that if you are looking for good database performance. In addition, if any companies or clients are currently using Oracle Database on-premises, I can certainly recommend that they migrate to Oracle Cloud Database. I would rate Oracle Cloud Platform an eight out of ten.
CS
Arquiteto de Soluções at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Stable with good pricing but not yet mature enough

What is our primary use case?

We use the Oracle Cloud to migrate workloads from customers on-premise to the cloud.

• "The simple infrastructure of the service is very useful."
  • "The scalability requires some improvement. This is one of the most important things they need to get better at."

What other advice do I have?

We're Oracle partners. We're using the current version of the solution. The solution has very good infrastructure. They are being very aggressive as they want to expand their footprint. In a few years, they will compete in a more balanced way against AWS and Microsoft and Google as well. Overall, I would rate the solution six out of ten. As it matures, it will become much better and be much more competitive.
Bruno Trigo
Executive Director at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A scalable solution with an easy setup but it does not deploy well to other solutions

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the delivery and implementation of Oracle Cloud Platform for customers.

• "Technical support is good. We are partners with Oracle so we are always speaking with them."
  • "The main issue for the clients is that they need to understand the credit payments because if it's a currency that's not dollars or euros, Oracle will always convert it into credits and that's not easy for the customer to understand at the beginning."

What other advice do I have?

We have some customers with private cloud services where they own the machines. We also work with customers that utilize the public cloud from Oracle for deploying applications and databases. I would rate Oracle products overall at an eight out of ten but this product at a seven out of ten simply because of not being able to easily deploy to other technologies.
SJ
Lead Database Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Very robust, with competitive pricing, but needs better integration capabilities

• "The environment is super fast so you get all the underlying machines behind the data. It's a good processing machine, especially in the Generation Two Cloud."
  • "The solution requires tighter integration capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. We're new to the cloud, so we need more time to evaluate its capabilities.
ShadiAbu Omar
Senior Java EE & Oracle Fusion Middleware Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, with good availability and good security

• "The security on the solution is very good."
  • "The solution isn't very mature. The on-premises deployment has more features and the cloud needs to work to match those options."

What other advice do I have?

My organization is just an Oracle customer. I've been very impressed with the solution. It's a very good platform. I'm unsure which version of the solution we're currently using. I'd advise others to move to Oracle Cloud. If they have a medium-sized business, it would work for you pretty well. However, it's not a mature solution yet and needs a few more years to grow and build out features on the cloud that currently only exist in the on-premise deployment. Overall, I would rate the solution seven out of ten.
See 4 more Oracle Cloud Platform Reviews