Oracle Cloud Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Cloud Platform is the #6 ranked solution in our list of PaaS Services. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure: Oracle Cloud Platform vs Microsoft Azure

What is Oracle Cloud Platform?

The Oracle Cloud Platform (also known as Platform as a Service or PaaS) provides a shared and elastically scalable platform for consolidation of existing applications and new application development and deployment. The Oracle Cloud Platform delivers cost savings through standardization and higher utilization of the shard platform across multiple applications.

Oracle Cloud Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Cloud Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Oracle Cloud Platform Customers

Sascar, Banca Transilvania, UL, Grupo Aerom_xico SAB de CV, Grupo Arcor, Australian Finance Group Ltd., MakeMyTrip Ltd., Kovaion Consulting India Pvt. Ltd., Kalpataru Ltd, Shelf Drilling Ltd.

Oracle Cloud Platform Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Cloud Platform pricing:
  • "There is a subscription cost rather than licensing for this product."
  • "On a monthly basis, we pay around $2,500 for licensing fees, with no additional costs. We do pay extra licensing for other on-premises solutions, but these are not related to Oracle Cloud Platform."

Oracle Cloud Platform Reviews

SB
Senior Architect, Technology Transformation Group at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Flexibility in supporting different capabilities and integrations make this excellent for moving to the cloud

• "Just having the many options and features offered by the product through the cloud is a major benefit."
  • "The product could use some more development and maturity so it has more peripheral functionality already integrated."

What is our primary use case?

We are both users as well as a company of consultants who do the implementations of the product for customers. In comparison to an on-premises solution, I am going to say that simply the ease-of-implementation and ease-of-usage are the primary uses for us. The options and ease of deploying the cloud product make opportunities for us to work in different ways with our customers.

What is most valuable?

What is most valuable to me is a very general thing. It is just having the many options and features offered by the product. What I mean is features in terms of the accessibility of the internet, maybe some flexibility in supporting different capabilities and integrations. It is valuable to have that flexibility.

What needs improvement?

To improve this product is hard because it is already good and convenient. But I think that Oracle can add even more functionality. There are just certain functionalities that still need improvement or some brushing up and maturity to bring them up to where they should be. Even more integration and user-friendliness is possible in certain ways.

For example, at our company, we need to have some extra services right now to so we need to subscribe to them from another supplier. It would be nicer if these capabilities were already integrated as a part of the product. If some of these components could be built inside the cloud, that would simplify the architecture.

I have been using Oracle cloud for between four to five years in some form.

The stability for financials is okay. I work with it doing financials so that is what I know best. But other functionalities and practices we need to check out and test in the newer versions. I am not very aware of all the modules and all the broader possibilities. But for the financial, it is okay.

Scalability still is a question mark in some forms that we have not had to test out. It should be scalable because it is on the cloud and that is one of the advantages.

The Oracle technical support is okay. It is nothing great. It is the same way that it has always been now for the last 25 years. It has not changed with the onset of the cloud products. Oracle has been like that no matter whatever product of theirs they are supporting, the support you get from them is always the same.

You are looking at a cloud SaaS product, so installation and maintenance are not required. It is maintained by the Oracle providers themselves. So, I mean it is easy to setup in the first place.

Our deployment took somewhere between four to six months. When we work with clients, how long it takes depends on the customer needs and what kind of customers it is.

We did not need to use a consultant for the deployment or integration. That is because I am the consultant.

We have some form of a cloud solution in addition to our physical footprint. So we have a mix actually in our architecture. It is somewhat simple and maybe a little small, but it is all we need because we have a very small user base. We have plans to move everything entirely to the cloud.

Because we do client support and consulting, we only require internal staff for support of these products.

There is a subscription cost rather than licensing for this product.

What other advice do I have?

I do recommend the Oracle Cloud Platform. I recommend it for our use and we also do Oracle consulting. We use Oracle and we also recommend Oracle products.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as eight and one-quarter. It is better than an eight, but not so close to nine.

DanielMoreno
IT Architect at Orbis Data
Great database with good stability and a very good interface

• "The pricing of the solution is pretty good."
  • "I work with many clouds and I would say, in comparison, others have a better presentation of services and they have clearer steps in terms of implementation."

What is our primary use case?

We are solutions implementors. My first project was an e-commerce platform and mobile application for clients where clients could check credit cards and their status. It's information about the last products purchased. We used the Oracle Cloud Platform for this.

How has it helped my organization?

Since implementing the solution, our service times are much better. We have noticed the better implementation of services with the Oracle Service Bus. There has been an overall reduction of complexity in regards to services.

What is most valuable?

The database is the solution's most valuable aspect.

We appreciate the solution's computing capabilities. It has good Meter Machines. There are good expansions as well.

The database by far is one of the best databases we are using. It has resolved many problems. It's more complete in comparison to all the other databases.

The interface has been renewed and it offers a very good user experience.

The pricing of the solution is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

The marketplace could be improved very much. There are some competing clouds that have marketplaces with solutions that within a few weeks have a total ecosystem running, and that is where Oracle is very limited.

I work with many clouds and I would say, in comparison, others have a better presentation of services and they have clearer steps in terms of implementation. Oracle could be more clear in the presentation of the hierarchies of services. The configuration for a canvas needs to be very clear. Right now, it's not as good as it could be.

I've been working with the solution for about three years at this point. It's been a while.

I have a very good impression of the solution's stability. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very good overall.

The scalability seems to be very good. There seem to be many ways you can automatically scale if you need to. If a company would like to expand this solution, they can do so. However, the scaling process could be a bit more clear.

We have many clients and their sizes vary. One of my clients is a retailer and it has about 2000 employees. They have many physical stores and have e-commerce where they have been using Oracle Platform.

Technical support is very good. We have an engineer assigned to our account and they are a very fluent communicator and have been very fast at resolving problems normally.

We have so far been satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup isn't overly complex. The only complexity was in understanding the way that the user gains access to the services. In other Cloud services, like Amazon, you have a URL that directly allows the user to go to a service. In Oracle, you have to know specific URLs, and there are too many steps to get right to your services. In that sense, it's not as straightforward. They could definitely make the process easier.

In our case, deployment took about two months or so.

The model is basically if you aren't using the solution you won't have to pay. We can turn off the machines if we don't need them and we won't keep incurring bills.

The solution seems to offer pretty competitive pricing. We haven't found it overly expensive. It's very competitive in comparison to other options.

We did look at Amazon among other solutions. The decision was basically made after a series of negotiations.

What other advice do I have?

It's one of the best databases in the market. We've found it to be very stable in the new versions. You can plug it into other services easily. As a database solution, it's been very good and you can implement it very quickly.

Overall, I would rate the product at a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Cloud Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MA
Senior System Administrator at a marketing services firm with 201-500 employees
Eases the deployment of Oracle Linux server instances and provides good database performance

• "I like having the ability to easily run Oracle Linux server instances and to deploy Oracle Middleware and WebLogic servers. Oracle's Infrastructure as a Service products are also very useful, and we're using those right now within Oracle OCI."
  • "I think that there could be a more user-friendly environment when it comes to the options that Oracle presents through the Oracle Cloud Platform."

What is our primary use case?

Right now we're using two cloud platforms, one being Oracle Cloud Platform and the other Microsoft Azure. We've been using Oracle Cloud Platform since 2018 and Azure since 2015.

We use Oracle Cloud Platform with the OCI Infrastructure as a Service offerings, and we're essentially using it for the compute instances and nothing else. We have deployed some servers running Oracle Linux which are being used as our main development environment. Then, we also have servers for our UAT (User Acceptance Testing) environment. Neither of these use cases are for production environments, and they are only used for development and testing.

To access Oracle Cloud Platform, we have a VPN site-to-site connection from our site to Oracle Cloud. We don't have the FastConnect option because we don't have a very good reason to use it.

As for users, we typically have around 20 people who are connected to the Oracle environment and who do their work on it. Regarding maintenance, we have three people on technical staff for that, who are DBAs and architects.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't improved our organization in a direct, or highly visible, way because we only use it for development and testing. However, I enjoy the ease with which we are able to deploy Oracle Linux server instances and other Oracle products.

What needs improvement?

Also, when you compare it to Microsoft Azure Marketplace, there aren't as many options to choose from, and some features are not available in some operating systems. In particular, I'd like to see more readily-available features such as Fusion Middleware as a service, in the same way that they have WebLogic as a service within OCI.

I have been using Oracle Cloud Platform for the last three years.

It's very stable, especially when it comes to accessing the Oracle Cloud Platform through VPN.

It's very scalable and we haven't had any issues in that regard.

We have not previously used a similar solution to Oracle Cloud Platform. We started with Oracle Cloud Platform because we were already using Oracle products and we decided that deploying Oracle products on Oracle Cloud Platform would be a more sensible idea than deploying on other cloud solutions.

The setup was very straightforward and it only took one to two days for the initial deployment.

We used Oracle consultants through Oracle's ACS, along with three technical personnel including DBAs and architects.

What other advice do I have?

We're not using that many products within Oracle Cloud Platform, but nevertheless I can recommend it. Especially when it comes to the Database as a Service, which we use a lot. I can easily vouch for that if you are looking for good database performance.

In addition, if any companies or clients are currently using Oracle Database on-premises, I can certainly recommend that they migrate to Oracle Cloud Database.

I would rate Oracle Cloud Platform an eight out of ten.

Other
CS
Arquiteto de Soluções at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Stable with good pricing but not yet mature enough

• "The simple infrastructure of the service is very useful."
  • "The scalability requires some improvement. This is one of the most important things they need to get better at."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Oracle Cloud to migrate workloads from customers on-premise to the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a customer that had been on-premise Oracle product, hardware, and software.

The hardware was aged already. In fact, it was discontinued. It was the most cost-effective to move to the cloud and investment in terms of licenses was significantly less.

What is most valuable?

Currently, Oracle Cloud is one of the cloud providers that has a better cost and the right commercial conditions here in Brazil.

In general, for customers who already use Oracle database products, this solution has some advantages. They're migrating to the cloud, however, the simple infrastructure of the service is very useful.

What needs improvement?

Oracle Cloud is still young compared to AWS or Microsoft. They still need to develop in many areas. They need to expand their services portfolio. They don't have even half of the services provided by AWS, for instance.

The scalability requires some improvement. This is one of the most important things they need to work on.

There are many other services that they need to add to the infrastructure - such as analytics, machine learning, and IoT.

We've been using the solution for about four to six months, so it's been about half a year.

The stability is very good. We have no problems. We have a client that migrated from AWS to Oracle Cloud. It's been one year, I believe, and he is still satisfied running production there with no issues.

The solution isn't quite AWS yet. They have some issues with the outer scaling, for instance. They need to improve in that area a bit.

We tend to deal with medium-sized organizations. One of those customers has about a bit more than 100 servers there. I would say there are 120 servers running on Oracle.

We have clients that do plan to increase usage in the future. It will require some scaling.

Oracle offers very good support. We're quite satisfied with the level of support we get.

Technical support is very good. I would say it is better than AWS. They are investing on partnerships, so we get a lot of support from Oracle Cloud. Much more than from AWS. For AWS we are just a small partner, however, we've gotten much more attention from Oracle Cloud than AWS, or even Microsoft.

It was a smooth and similar transition from on-premise to the cloud. I think it's very good.

I'm afraid that I cannot comment much about the process as I'm not very technical. It was our VBAs with customers and the Oracle architects and analysts that made the implementation.

It's my understanding that the deployment too approximately one month.

We had good support from Oracle during the implementation process. They were very helpful.

The price here in Brazil is very competitive.

We've had clients that have evaluated Microsoft Azure. However, they get much better commercial conditions, costs, and benefits from Oracle than any other cloud provider. Even IBM, which is very aggressive here in Brazil.

What other advice do I have?

We're Oracle partners.

We're using the current version of the solution.

The solution has very good infrastructure. They are being very aggressive as they want to expand their footprint. In a few years, they will compete in a more balanced way against AWS and Microsoft and Google as well.

Overall, I would rate the solution six out of ten. As it matures, it will become much better and be much more competitive.

SJ
Lead Database Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Very robust, with competitive pricing, but needs better integration capabilities

• "The environment is super fast so you get all the underlying machines behind the data. It's a good processing machine, especially in the Generation Two Cloud."
  • "The solution requires tighter integration capabilities."

What is most valuable?

It's a very robust solution, especially for the environment that you move onto the cloud. It's quick and easy to access, and easy to manage.

Everything is governed by Oracle itself, including backups, and policies.

The solution makes it easy to access testimonial articles, etc.

There's an autonomous database, which is very useful. It's very efficient and easy to use and allows users to spend more time in other areas other than backup and recovery.

Pricing is very competitive. You are getting a good stack in Oracle because you're getting exit data and the backend along with the real application clusters, etc.

What needs improvement?

The Generation One Cloud doesn't have a great interface. We're using Generation Two and it's much better.

We have not tried it yet, but Azure integration would help a lot. Nowadays, it's all about having a multi-cloud platform. Integration with Azure is something we need to look into, especially on the SQL server to make sure the 2019 and 2017 SQL servers are supported.

The solution requires tighter integration capabilities.

There should be regional expansion in the availability of the solution. AWS and Azure offer much more availability right now. They have availability for almost all regions.  Cloud is something that almost every region needs to have it, so they need to make sure availability exists in Qatar.

Overall, every solution can use small improvements here and there. This solution is the same. We're still in the early days of using it, however.

We've been assessing the solution and have not deployed it yet. We're assessing it alongside Microsoft Azure and AWS. We do have hands-on experience with the solution, however.

The solution is stable. Like any other cloud platform, every day there are improvements and enhancements being done, as well as products that have been added. It's becoming more and more stable.

The solution is scalable. It had to be to manage the workload we have. Scalability is one of the most important aspects of any cloud solution.

We have about 100-150 users. We use it on a medium scale, and not too heavily right now.

We haven't spoken with technical support yet.

I've personally worked on Amazon Cloud Services. I'm certified in it. We're currently in the evaluation stage of a few different products.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's straightforward with easy to manage sites. Deployment takes three to five minutes and the machines get provisions fast. We were impressed overall with the setup procedures.

Currently, there's just one person managing the solution, and eventually we'll need help from a system administrator and an AD person.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

We're looking at a pay-as-you-go option for licensing. Ultimately, we're likely to pay monthly.

In terms of comparing the solution to Azure, the pricing is pretty competitive.

We've been evaluating AWS, Oracle Cloud and Microsoft Azure.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. We're new to the cloud, so we need more time to evaluate its capabilities.

ShadiAbu Omar
Senior Java EE & Oracle Fusion Middleware Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, with good availability and good security

• "The security on the solution is very good."
  • "The solution isn't very mature. The on-premises deployment has more features and the cloud needs to work to match those options."

What is most valuable?

The sign on is very good.

The availability of the solution is excellent.

The stability offered by the cloud has been great.

There are a lot of really good product features. It offers everything from mobility, to analytics, to business processes.

The front-end is like Jet, and it's pretty user-friendly.

The security on the solution is very good.

What needs improvement?

They must improve the integration layer. It must have everything and be able to integrate with on-premise options a lot of features are not provided on the cloud.

In the Oracle BCS business process, when you create an XSG file and make the integration layer with the base in XSG, there is no validation code in the XSG. Therefore, when you add the field required or field string, it's not checking this validation as it does on-premise.  In the cloud, you need to clear the JavaScript file and validate this field. This is the main problem and they can't in the cloud.

I've been using the solution for about a year at this point. It hasn't been too long.

The product is extremely stable. On-premises solutions may face issues related to CPU usage, however, as a cloud product, you don't have these issues. It makes it very stable.

As a cloud solution, it's very scalable. It's the main purpose of having a cloud. It's very flexible and scalable as it can expand on the cloud.

Curently, we have ten people who use the solution in our organization.

I don't believe there are plans to increase usage in the future.

I've dealt with technical support in the past. It could be improved upon. We need support in the area of customization. It's a pretty new product, so it needs to provide certain features to our clients, and we need technical support to troubleshoot for us.

We didn't previously use a different solution before implementing Oracle.

The initial setup is not complex. It's straightforward. Basically, you just connect it, it's like an on-premise deployment.

I'm able to handle the implementation myself. I don't need the assistance of integrators or consultants. It's pretty easy to accomplish without the help of an outside professional.

What other advice do I have?

My organization is just an Oracle customer.

I've been very impressed with the solution. It's a very good platform.

I'm unsure which version of the solution we're currently using.

I'd advise others to move to Oracle Cloud. If they have a medium-sized business, it would work for you pretty well.

However, it's not a mature solution yet and needs a few more years to grow and build out features on the cloud that currently only exist in the on-premise deployment.

Overall, I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

SyedIbrahim
Information Technology Project Manager at a logistics company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good database, but lots of issues around bugs and insufficient technical support

• "Overall, there are some very good features on Oracle and it offers good customization capabilities."
  • "Technical support does not offer the best service and should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily deliver the solution to a variety of companies, including those involved in automotive logistics.

What is most valuable?

The database is very good. It provides exact data.

What needs improvement?

We've experienced some technical issues that have delayed projects. Bugs seem to pop up in new releases.

Technical support does not offer the best service and should be improved.

We've been using the solution for two to three years.

The stability of the solution is okay, but on the technical side, there is some troubleshooting that is needed. There aren't many people that can help with this in our region. It might be a problem in the Middle East.

The solution is scalable.

We've been in contact with technical support. We're able to create and rank tickets and escalate them if necessary. We do have issues that pop up from time to time, and it seems to take a while to get results. I'd rate the service level we receive three out of ten.

The setup wasn't necessarily straightforward, and we're still working on deployment, which we plan to complete in the coming year. The finalization of the setup was delayed when we had a few issues.

The project was very large and we handled it with the help of the ATSI team.

We're constantly looking for other options. Our team keeps an eye out for other solutions that could, for example, save us money.

What other advice do I have?

We run different applications on the Oracle Cloud platform and use the cloud deployment model.

We use the solution quite extensively on a daily basis.

Oracle is a good option for enterprise-level companies, but for small and medium-sized businesses, I'd recommend another option.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Aung Khaing Soe
Cloud Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Provides good, basic functionality needs; additional PaaS services would be helpful

• "Oracle offers more of the basic functionality needs."
  • "Lacking in additional PaaS services."

What is our primary use case?

We are a software-based company. We develop custom applications for our customers. We are currently customers of Oracle but working on forming a partnership with Oracle Cloud Singapore. I'm a cloud engineer.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Cloud offers more of the basic functionality needs than other cloud providers offer.

What needs improvement?

It would be an improvement if Oracle were to offer more PaaS services like those available in Azure. The technical support could also be improved.

Although the response time is generally quite good, there are still areas for improvement.

I think the initial setup is relatively straightforward, in line with the other cloud solutions.

I think Oracle's license costs are relatively lower than those of Azure or AWS. I think the cost is reasonable.

I have had more experience with Azure Cloud so I prefer it because of the familiarity aspect.  Once I get used to Oracle, I might prefer that solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution seven out of 10.

Other