Oracle Data Guard Overview

Oracle Data Guard is the #20 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Oracle Data Guard vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Oracle Data Guard?

Oracle Data Guard ensures high availability, data protection, and disaster recovery for enterprise data. Data Guard provides a comprehensive set of services that create, maintain, manage, and monitor one or more standby databases to enable production Oracle databases to survive disasters and data corruptions. Data Guard can be used with traditional backup, restoration, and cluster techniques to provide a high level of data protection and data availability.

Oracle Data Guard is also known as Active Data Guard.

Oracle Data Guard Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Data Guard Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Oracle Data Guard Customers

Athenahealth, Discover Financial Services

Oracle Data Guard Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Data Guard pricing:
  • "This is the best solution if you want something similar that's less expensive than Oracle Grid."
  • "If you want to have everything automated and done smoothly, you have to add additional licenses."

MahdiBahmani
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
Very stable but difficult to implement and maintain

• "It's a very good solution if you want to protect your data across two data centers, or you have a middle man or many administrators who use these solutions for protecting their data. It's very reliable compared to other solutions that are most often not storage-based."
  • "The IP implementation and maintenance are a little bit hard to manage across Oracle solutions, including Oracle Data Guard."

What other advice do I have?

Most of my projects are on-premise, and most of them are based on low-cost engineers and information on the internet. Right now, the cloud is really good if you change units. There is a direct limitation on some solutions because of the cost being high for this type of software and I chose not to use the cloud. The solution is quite functional, however, I do find that some features are not great in real production. You need to have the software to ensure the continuity in the case of using Oracle. I'd rate the solution six out of ten due to its difficulty in terms of maintenance and audio…
Adriano-Simao
IT System Integrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Works very well and hardly requires any interventions

What is our primary use case?

We have a primary database and a secondary database. Both databases are on different sites, which are geographically distant. One site is used as the primary site, and the other one is used as the secondary site. We have configured Oracle Data Guard to instantly replicate the data from one database to the other database on a different site. That's what we do with the Oracle Data Guard at this point. It's about business continuity.

• "We have found the replication feature the most useful. We use this feature the most. The ability to recover a database with less effort and the use of Oracle Data Guard Broker to administer the complete environment are also very useful features."
  • "One thing that can be improved is the GUI. It would be good to have a very nice GUI to easily configure and administer, providing different presentations to the database administrator. The feature that can be included is the integration with third-party monitoring systems, that is, monitoring systems from other vendors, not only from Oracle."

What other advice do I have?

It's mandatory in order to be ready for any incident when someone has a similar environment. When we talk about Oracle, we are talking about the venue database, translation of database, online translation of database, and atomic translations. When we need to guarantee the stability of the database, we have to be careful. In financial enterprises that use Oracle as a secure relational database management system, the data that you have is very important, and it is the asset that brings the most value to the company. I would recommend that every implementation that goes to the production…
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Data Guard. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MS
Oracle DBA Customer Capacity Leader at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Adds an extra layer of a high-availability platform and minimizes the application outages

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this solution is for the high availability. If the database or server crashes, the switches go over to the standby database becoming the primary database. We use Data Guard in order to have a high-availability solution and high-availability configuration in our data center.

• "We chose this solution for the availability of the databases. We can't afford Oracle Grid, this is the best solution if you want something similar that's less expensive."
  • "For every standby server you have, you must pay a licensing fee, which is the main disadvantage."

What other advice do I have?

They could enhance their GUI or they should have a cloud control tool. They should have Data Guard tools in order to troubleshoot whenever there is a problem. There isn't anything in place for the configuration. Everything has to be done manually within the standard guide in Data Guard-related commands. Having a GUI with Data Guard is something that would be appreciated. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
MS
General Manager - IT at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Backup and recovery that is flexible, easy to maintain, and synchronizes your data to access at any time

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for data protection, disaster recovery, and it's used as a backup database to restore the primary databases. It gives the client comfort in case of any incidents, disaster or any catastrophic situation because it maintains, manages, and monitors the database and keeps a backup.

• "The most valuable features are the backup and restore. With this in place along with the clustering, the database is safe from hacking, hardware failure, power failures, and system crashes."
  • "When the data replicates into the standby database there is a possibility of having a microsecond amount of data loss. The data loss occurs when there is a network disconnection between the primary and secondary standby database located in the data centers or if there is a crash in the primary database."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is for small to medium-sized businesses, who can't afford to have two data centers or two servers. Oracle Data Guard has many features to ensure that the database is in place. In case the primary database goes down or is corrupt in any way, you can recall the data immediately to restore the primary database. It's important to know that backup is in place at any given time. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
MG
Lead Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The disaster recovery is good but it is a rather complex solution

What is our primary use case?

We implemented Oracle Data Guard for disaster recovery, even though one can't implement disaster recovery across multiple sites using stretch clusters, and implement a server pool at both sites. You have to build a dedicated server pool on each of the locations.

• "The solution has been stable so far."
  • "It is a rather complex solution, so it could be more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

I don't really have any advice for other users, because we only use the solution's basic functionality for disaster recovery. Personally, I would advise others to avoid it due to its complexity. On a scale from one to ten, I rate this solution a seven. From a functionality point of view, I can't complain about Data Guard. But I would avoid it as it adds more complexity to a configuration, which is not necessary. From a setup point of view, Oracle has experienced people that will help you with it.
HO
Computer Engineer at Nestle
A robust and efficient solution that scales easily

What is our primary use case?

We have a couple of Oracle systems that are attached to different types of applications. In terms of Data Guard, we use it for factory monitoring.

• "Technical support is very good. If at any time we write a ticket, we get the appropriate answer on time."
  • "The database administration needs improvement. With Oracle, we have a lot of features for administrating data, but it might be too many. It needs to be simplified. It should be automated. Looking at Enterprise Manager, there are too many KPIs in place."

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we are using the on-premise version on the solution. I would rate this solution eight out of ten. I would recommend the solution because it is a good product and it's working fine. But I'm not sure if it's suitable for every consideration or any environment.
Mehmet Cem Fenerci
Database and Infrastructure Architect at MNG Kargo
Has high availability but could be cheaper

• "We use Data Guard for online replication from data center, to data center for high availability. This is the most important feature."
  • "It is a very useful administrative IT tool. It saves on costs."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very useful administrative IT tool. It saves on costs. I strongly recommend Data Guard. I've been using it for eight years and I would strongly recommend it. I'd rate Oracle Data Guard a seven out of ten. To make it a ten, the core base license could be cheaper. The cloud environment would also make it cheaper.
SN
Intersystem Manager at Interplast
An excellent disaster recovery solution that's very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for disaster recovery.

• "The solution is really very stable. One good thing about it, compared to other products, is that you can just run it and forget about it. Unless you come across some interruptions in the network, it works like a charm."
  • "The implementation is complex for anyone who's jumping into it without any experience. It's all command-line driven implementations. For some, that's a turn-off."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. I would rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher if the GUI was better, but it's a very stable solution. For disaster recovery, I think this is one of the best native Oracle products that you could use, provided you have the Enterprise edition.
See 1 more Oracle Data Guard Reviews
Download our free Oracle Data Guard Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.