Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Overview

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Data Integration Tools. It is most often compared to Informatica PowerCenter: Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) vs Informatica PowerCenter

What is Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)?

Oracle Data Integrator is a comprehensive data integration platform that covers all data integration requirements: from high-volume, high-performance batch loads, to event-driven, trickle-feed integration processes, to SOA-enabled data services. Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) 12c, the latest version of Oracle’s strategic Data Integration offering, provides superior developer productivity and improved user experience with a redesigned flow-based declarative user interface and deeper integration with Oracle GoldenGate.

ODI12c further builds on its flexible and high-performance architecture with comprehensive big data support and added parallelism when executing data integration processes.  It includes interoperability with Oracle Warehouse Builder (OWB) for a quick and simple migration for OWB customers to ODI12c.  Additionally, ODI can be monitored from a single solution along with other Oracle technologies and applications through the integration with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c.

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) is also known as ODI.

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Customers

Griffith University, Kansas City Power & Light, Keste, Raymond James Financial, Valdosta State University

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Alan Yves
Big Data / Business Intelligence / Datawarehousing at DWgrain (Client Health BIS)
Mar 18, 2019

What is our primary use case?

Several projects benefited from the ODI data integration capabilities such as Loading OLTP system's data to Data warehouses, pulling data from cloud-based databases and loading to on-premises DW, for example: extracting data from a SQL server which is based on Azure infrastructure. Perform data integration from cloud to cloud. Data migration between OLTP systems. Event-based integration such SOA, for example, BPEL performed calls of ODI scenarios based on EBS events.

• "​All our systems can be widely integrated by ODI, such as transactional systems, our data warehouses, and B2B integration."
  • "It would be really good if Oracle considered enabling the tool to integrate with some other platforms that are deprecated simply for commercial reasons"

What other advice do I have?

The setup of the environment requires experts on site, but it is very worth it since at first for customers it can be quite complex. The vendor needs to enable the customer on a frequent basis during implementation, but the results are great.
RA
Business677
Business Analyst at Paunaste OÜ
Jan 29, 2019
Knowledge modules can be modified to fix small issues

What is our primary use case?

To have a common ETL tool in the DW team, start a common way of ETL development, set up a process registry, and daily process flow.

How has it helped my organization?

It increased ETL development efficiency 1/3 in time. It has a short learning curve for newcomers, compared to previous MS DTS packages and scripting.

What is most valuable?

Reusing existing ETL development pattern in the next similar tasks. It's flexible to add new common procedures. Knowledge modules can be modified to fix small issues.

What needs improvement?

ETL process registry solution is missing. To manage dependencies between loading packages. Versioning logic and release process are not well supported.

Three to five years.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Data Integrator (ODI). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,892 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DB
David Barragan
Principal Owner at New Frontier Professionals LLC
User
Nov 27, 2018
I like the separate environments for dev, test and prod from one management facility, though the GUI could be improved.

What is our primary use case?

Multiple data sources: "Most" of them, Oracle databases (some MS SQL, some Sybase, lots of files and some web services). Because the environment was overwhelmingly Oracle, ODI (we started from OWB) was a much better and cost-effective solution for us than Informatica.

How has it helped my organization?

Far more efficient and robust than OWB, (it was the natural evolution for us).

What is most valuable?

Separate environments for dev, test and prod from one management facility.

What needs improvement?

Click intensive on mapping Lots of mouse clicking GUI could be improved.

Three to five years.
JC
Jill Corcoran
User at Momentum Consulting
User
Aug 5, 2018
It lacks a suite of tools suitable for fully processing data and moving it into decision support warehouses. It does have the ability to easily load slowly changing dimensions

What is our primary use case?

High volume batch loads to move data from transactional systems into the decision support warehouse.

How has it helped my organization?

It worked fine, but we needed a tool that would include quality and master data seamlessly.  This is more of a standalone ETL tool.

What is most valuable?

I found nothing overly amazing about this tool, although I appreciate its ability to easily load slowly changing dimensions.

Less than one year.
Dava Wang(汪燊)
Data engineer at realestate.pingan.com
Aug 1, 2018
Besides loading data, we do most of our transformations in it. However, the stability of the software could be improved.

What is our primary use case?

We use ODI to integrate data from the OLTP database to the data warehouse. The source database systems including Oracle, MySQL, flat files... Our business background is OTA and the total data is about 100T.

• "​The installation of the client ODI Studio is easy.​"
  • "Besides loading data, we do most of our transformations in ODI."
  • "In our DW/BI solution, ODI is the main tool to integrate the data in a daily batch way."
  • "Most of the functions are very straightforward, like the data model, mapping, package, and load plan. Thus, a new user could get started very fast."
  • "​The stability of the software could be improved. Sometimes, the software just crashes. ​"
it_user93825
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 28, 2018
The enhanced security model and debugger are nice new features while the new layout is an advantage and disadvantage
The new release of Oracle Data Integrator (ODI 12c) is now available. Let´s find out what the new features of ODI12c are that this version includes. First, is there anything fancy in the installation process? Just one note here: to be able to use ODI Studio, the enterprise installation needs to be selected (instead of the Standalone option) while launching the ODI installation program. For the configuration part, creating a new login to ODI repository you are requested to specify a new wallet password. ODI12c provides you with a possibility to store your credentials in a wallet that is protected by a password. How much it helps to protect and manage your credentials with a single password! Goodbye Interfaces, Welcome Mappings First of all, we do not deal with…
it_user804942
Product Owner, Lead Entrepreneur and Chief Technology Officer(CTO) at a think tank with 1-10 employees
Jan 21, 2018
Could use an add-on solution that might know how to avoid performance issues. Benefits from not having to maintain a separate ETL instance.

What is our primary use case?

We are moving data from everywhere to everywhere else all the time. We will be moving data to a cloud solution in the future and ODI seems to be able to do it as well.

• "I do not have to maintain a separate ETL instance. I can change the SQL when something is not performing correctly."
  • "It can integrate with more recent databases like Cassandra, Hadoop, and other more recent Big Data databases."
  • "If there was an add-on tool to hide the performance issues and solve them for me, then I might be interested in that as it would provide me value."
it_user521808
Development Manager
Nov 22, 2017
Extracts, transforms and loads the data, does the job for us

• "It is an ETL tool, which does the extract, transform, and load."
  • "I rate it a seven out of 10 because there is room for growth because ODI is still new, in comparison to Informatica, which is a mature product."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend the ODI. The reason is that now Oracle, after a long time, has put its weight behind an ETL tool, which is ODI, and so Oracle is going to stand behind it, which means that it has a long life. That's another reason which we chose it. Informatica is a gold standard in ETL and, before ODI, Informatica used to be the king of the ETL. Now, because Oracle is putting its weight behind this tool we think that, long-term, ODI will have a better future. When we had the option of choosing an ETL tool, we went with ODI because we wanted to choose something for the long-term.
it_user636159
Owner at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Nov 1, 2017
Has a mapping functionality that makes the tool very open and accessible

What is most valuable?

ODI is a very accessible tool, especially since the mapping functionality has been added.

How has it helped my organization?

We added DevOps to ODI. You can use the ODI versioning or our component, and complement both with lifecycle management, fully-automated deploy and integration with issue tracking.

Three years.

Not with ODI itself, but with deploying programs written in ODI. That is why we developed our solution.

No issues.

Customer Service: It could be better. Technical…
it_user278157
Consultant - Oracle ACE with 51-200 employees
Aug 25, 2017
With the Knowledge Modules, we're able to create our own reusable integration strategies for connecting to RDBMS, Hadoop, cloud services, etc.

• "The Knowledge Module approach provides an easy and reusable way to create our own integration strategies. It's easy to create these Knowledge Modules to connect to new technologies, for instance."
  • "It needs easier security."
Paolo Borghi
Oracle Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Aug 24, 2017

• "It allows us to use many languages to develop and to integrate practically all the technologies of the Oracle suite as well as those from non-Oracle vendors."
  • "I would only point out some minor bugs or glitches in the development interface (ODI studio)."

What other advice do I have?

Always keep in mind that ODI offers a huge number of solutions to any task you are developing. There is not a best practice in solving a problem; being able to identify the best solution for your particular problem is up to you and it may also be difficult to identify. This does not mean that the solution you have in mind is not correct. Always try to maintain an ordered environment, keeping only what you really need, and perhaps organizing the items in different projects or folders, or even different work repositories.
it_user515439
User at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 30, 2017
Provides us with a relational database. It needs more roboust functioning and ease-of-use for development using reusable jobs.

What is most valuable?

Provides us with a relational database.

What needs improvement?

It needs more robust functioning and ease-of-use for development using reusable jobs.

We have used this solution for one year.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

There were scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is good. Technical Support: Technical support is good.

We had a vendor team help us with the implementation.

Which other

AP
Aslam Pasha
Assistant Manager at a integrator with 501-1,000 employees
May 16, 2017
I have found most of the middleware and hardware to be valuable.

What is most valuable?

I have found most of the Oracle Fusion middleware and hardware to be valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

We are Oracle partners. We have our clients and they need this solution. We implement it according to the clients' requirements.

What needs improvement?

I think that the Oracle Fusion Middleware stack could be improved.

I have used it for almost ten years.

I had some deployment issues. Sometimes, issues will be erased if the OS and the system do not meet the system requirements and prerequisites before deploying a specific application.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

What do

Gurcan Orhan
Data Quality Software Development Manager at Yapı Kredi Bank
Mar 24, 2017
A tool that can talk or learn how to talk, with any database or operating system in its own language.

What other advice do I have?

If you want a robust, flexible solution with no extra hardware that is easy to learn, then ODI is the right product for you. ODI is a tool, that can talk or learn how to talk, with any database or operating system in its own language. This is the power of ODI.
it_user521880
Director - Special Projects at Sandals Resorts International
Dec 12, 2016
The user interface is the most valuable feature. It is intuitive.

What other advice do I have?

You would have to evaluate what your key purpose is, and your existing, internal talent and experience. It's my belief that you should always try to have internal talent that is very confident, rather than having to always rely on consultants. If your talent has the experience in Infomatica – I don't think Infomatica is going anywhere – then it might be the best choice for you. I don’t think your office will fall apart. I think you have to evaluate which one will work for you. We were new customers to data integration, so we decided to go with newer technology that had already come from the…
it_user521922
Database Administrator at Tarrant County College
Dec 8, 2016
I like being able to schedule jobs, especially when they're multi-step.

What other advice do I have?

Good luck. I do think the training was beneficial but I know everybody doesn't have that as an option. If you do have the option to do some training, I think that could be a really big help; it helped me. I don't feel like I am fully utilizing it but based on the things I do use, once you get the hang of it, it's a pretty cool data integration tool.
it_user521565
Senior System Administrators Admin at American Tower
Nov 3, 2016
We use it with BI Apps, with which it is bundled.

What other advice do I have?

We learned some lessons, such as how to plan out the entire process, and so on. Oracle documentation is good. If you follow that, you should be fine. When I’m choosing a vendor such as Oracle, support is the most important criteria.
it_user272565
Technical Advisor at Gluent Inc
Video Review
Oct 31, 2016
ODI is a flexible tool that can adapt to fit your business, not the other way around.

What other advice do I have?

So I would rate ODI a nine. And that's really because, just looking across the other ETL tools, so I mentioned Informatica, there's a lot of other ones out there. I've seen what ODI does from a sort of a declarative design approach, and the push-down of work to the source and target. I've seen that replicated in other tools that have come out after Oracle Data Integrator. That's a big key. It puts it kind of at the top, if you're going to look at a scale across all of the ETL tools. The other aspect to that rating is how they're integrating a lot of the big data technologies now. And it's a…
it_user243015
Architect (Datawarehouse / BI) at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 2, 2016
The topology gives me total freedom in switching between technologies / ETL agents.

What other advice do I have?

* Think about the architecture in which you are going to use ODI very well. * Think about where to place an agent and, if possible, put your ODI repository as close to this agent as possible. * If possible, run your agent closer to the target than to the source. * Try splitting up your repository into multiple work repositories for groups of developers of no more than five developers.
it_user431094
Principal and Owner at Sandwich Analytics
Sep 28, 2016
I can readily develop processes that use relational, file, XML, JMS messaging, web and big data sources or targets.

What other advice do I have?

Plan your ODI infrastructure, especially where data is transformed to ensure you get the best balance between license costs and performance. Get your developers trained in best practices so that avoid unnecessary pit falls.
it_user453990
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 28, 2016
The tool has a in-built "Knowledge Modules" using Oracle ADF which supports all possible databases for data integration.
it_user486495
I/T Sr. Software Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 27, 2016
ODI makes data transfer easy. Improved reconciliation and external authentication would be helpful.

What other advice do I have?

I haven’t checkout out other solutions, so I don’t know where it scales, but from a developer’s standpoint, I’d give the product a seven or an eight. On infrastructure, I’d bring it down to a five.
it_user453978
Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jun 9, 2016
The features that we have applied to our project have helped to reduce manual effort and increase our scalability.

What other advice do I have?

You should use Oracle Data Integrator for your data transformation, or at the very least give it a try.
it_user450624
Manager of Oracle Technology/DevOpsManager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 31, 2016
The client can be configured so that Excel data can automatically be pumped into Oracle Forms directly. It requires a client, which I don't think is the best way to go about connecting data.
it_user448707
Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
May 31, 2016
One of the benefits of it is the usage of the principle ‘write once, execute anywhere’.

What other advice do I have?

To benefit the most of Oracle Data Integrator it is important to assemble a team with the experience to make the project a success.
it_user448323
ODI Developer at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 31, 2016
It provides good integration with other Oracle products.

What is most valuable?

The possibilities provided by using knowledge modules and the integration with other Oracle products.

How has it helped my organization?

The old fashion PL/SQL codes have been translated into ODI, improving the way of maintenance. Several developers can work on the same project easily.

What needs improvement?

The software is developed on Java so it is very hardware dependent. You will need enough hardware to run the software otherwise you will struggle with it.

I've been using it for the last four years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

When developing on huge internal repositories, the…
it_user445812
Oracle Fusion Middleware Administrator at a tech services company
May 30, 2016
It has made it possible for our organization to rapidly build robust integration. There are no tools/dashboards to monitor/administrate this in-memory database.

What other advice do I have?

The product may not be as evolved as Informatica, but still has a lot to offer in the Fusion Middleware Product Suite. Keeps all the promises of an ETL/ELT tool, but when it comes to Administration and maintenance the product still leaves a lot to be desired.
it_user448791
Managing Director at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
May 30, 2016
It can basically automate any task that you can think of, such a executing scripts for servers outside of your Oracle environment.
it_user448446
Business Intelligence Developer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
May 30, 2016
The designer tab shows the operator, topology and security workflow together and you can access them at the same time without any problems.

What other advice do I have?

ODI is a great ETL tool that you can use for implementation. It’s not complicated to use, and with knowledge of SQL and PLSQL you can customize it a lot.
it_user447042
Director, Enterprise Analytics at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
May 30, 2016
Able to develop transformations more rapidly than other solutions, such as Informatica.

What other advice do I have?

As with all software, read the installation guide cover to cover before you start.
it_user439491
Vice President, Global Technology at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 29, 2016
It has helped identify data quality issues in upstream source systems. As a result, data quality rules have been implemented in order to capture them during data entry.

What other advice do I have?

The most important decision is the deployment strategy of the Master and Work Repositories that is the use of Single or Multiple Master Repositories. The company’s internal policy will determine which strategy can be used. However, the most common implementation I have seen is multiple master and work repositories. It performs and works as advertised.
it_user435039
Software Specialist (Business Intelligence) at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 11, 2016
It has relatively comprehensive ELT features (i.e. execution of data transformation and validation processes), with scheduling.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features of ODI are the relatively comprehensive ELT features (i.e. execution of data transformation and validation processes), with scheduling.

Improvements to My Organization

In our experience with ODI, we've found that the best use of it was with the development of our data warehouse.

Room for Improvement

There are a couple areas for improvement. First, it needs better error handling (i.e. messages, debugging). Second, it also needs the ability to perform more complex interfaces (i.e. multiple sources to targets).

Use of Solution

I've used it for over a year.

There have been no issues with the deployment.

We have had no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues…
it_user435336
Solution Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
May 5, 2016

What other advice do I have?

The Knowledge Module is the heart of this solution. If you have nicely written Knowledge Modules, then you will not have any performance issues. The language should be kept as common as possible and all in one solution. You can write in many different languages, but the maintenance will need a wide variety of knowledge in the future. This can be very tricky in the long term. Do not forget to clean temporary tables after each execution of ETL. Otherwise, the database will be full of unnecessary data.
it_user435309
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 5, 2016
We like that v10 has a local database that allows you to train a client on.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing or designing, please have someone familiar with the product give their input. If your network is weak, the implementation may take more time.
it_user432783
Technical Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 1, 2016
Heterogeneous technologies can be integrated with ODI, including the latest web services.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend using this for any data warehouse project.
it_user432117
Consultant Business Intelligence at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Apr 28, 2016
I just have to configure the knowledge module to perform data extractions from multiple sources. I think that job scheduling can be improved.
it_user102120
Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Aug 25, 2015
It allows us to create scripts and share them across multiple data load processes.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you understand differences between ETL and ELT (ODI is the latter). Have a well-structured source data. And if you don't know anything about ODI, find someone who does before diving into your data-warehouse project. You can learn SSIS or Informatica yourself in days. This approach is not going to work for ODI.
it_user275139
Hyperion Applications Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 27, 2015
It handles metadata management efficiently and exports data loads from our ERP system to our finance data warehouse.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product.
it_user175956
BI Expert at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Jun 1, 2015
Enhancement of the export/import features needed but a strong and reliable ETL tool nevertheless.

What is most valuable?

Strong and reliable ETL tool with high performance and helpful features

What needs improvement?

Enhance export/import features and add more features (I think they enhanced it in the 12c version)

More than 3 years 11g and now start working with 12c.

Export/import isn't stable and they don't have a clear behavior.

No issues.

Developed a project on SSIS (SQLServer Integration Services), and used to write ETL in scripts (PL/SQL).

Straightforward set-up.

What

it_user3876
Database Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 25, 2013
Enhances the strategic usage of data which compromises more reliability for large data warehouses

What other advice do I have?

 Oracle Data Integrator separates the declarative rules from the implementation details. It can run entirely within a Service Oriented Architecture. ODI is the most integrated ETL product for running data integration as a service, accessing web services and writing to web services as a target.
Product Categories
Data Integration Tools
Download our free Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.