Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Data Integration Tools. It is most often compared to Oracle Integration Cloud Service: Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) vs Oracle Integration Cloud Service

What is Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)?

Oracle Data Integrator is a comprehensive data integration platform that covers all data integration requirements: from high-volume, high-performance batch loads, to event-driven, trickle-feed integration processes, to SOA-enabled data services. Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) 12c, the latest version of Oracle’s strategic Data Integration offering, provides superior developer productivity and improved user experience with a redesigned flow-based declarative user interface and deeper integration with Oracle GoldenGate.

ODI12c further builds on its flexible and high-performance architecture with comprehensive big data support and added parallelism when executing data integration processes.  It includes interoperability with Oracle Warehouse Builder (OWB) for a quick and simple migration for OWB customers to ODI12c.  Additionally, ODI can be monitored from a single solution along with other Oracle technologies and applications through the integration with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c.

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) is also known as ODI.

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Customers

Griffith University, Kansas City Power & Light, Keste, Raymond James Financial, Valdosta State University

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Video

Archived Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Reviews (more than two years old)

RK
Team Leader Development at DB Systel
Automation using Knowledge Modules enhances our data integration process

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for Data Integration in Data warehouse projects.

How has it helped my organization?

This automation using Knowledge Modules has improved our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature that we use is the Knowledge Modules.

What needs improvement?

The performance of the user interface is in need of improvement.

Five years.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for Data Integration in Data warehouse projects.

How has it helped my organization?

This automation using Knowledge Modules has improved our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature that we use is the Knowledge Modules.

What needs improvement?

The performance of the user interface is in need of improvement.

Five years.
Assistant Manager - MIS Analyst at TCS Private Limited
A reduction in manual work during data integration is a welcomed improvement

• "It's completely user-friendly."
  • "Overall the product is fine, but sometimes its reports unknown errors while we compile ETL scripts."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is a data integration and merging tool. It easily connects to many databases like MySql, SQL Server, etc. It's completely user-friendly. We can easily manage packages, ETL, and Procedures.

How has it helped my organization?

Before adopting this solution we used to work hard. We now feel better because our manual work is completely over.

What is most valuable?

We can easily create ETL processes and schedules. We can check logs on a daily basis. It handles multiple routines very smartly.

What needs improvement?

Overall the product is fine, but sometimes its reports unknown errors while we compile ETL scripts.

Three to five years.

My impressions are good in terms of the stability.

I find that the scalability of this solution is good.

Interaction with technical support is not my area.

Before this solution, we were using SQL Server.

I think that the initial setup is amazing.

We used a completely internal team to implement this solution.

We found that the cost compared to other integration tools is a little high, but the solution works great.

We evaluated SQL Server prior to choosing this solution.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Data Integrator (ODI). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Alan Yves
Big Data / Business Intelligence / Datawarehousing at DWgrain (Client Health BIS)

• "​All our systems can be widely integrated by ODI, such as transactional systems, our data warehouses, and B2B integration."
  • "It would be really good if Oracle considered enabling the tool to integrate with some other platforms that are deprecated simply for commercial reasons"

What is our primary use case?

Several projects benefited from the ODI data integration capabilities such as Loading OLTP system's data to Data warehouses, pulling data from cloud-based databases and loading to on-premises DW, for example: extracting data from a SQL server which is based on Azure infrastructure.

Perform data integration from cloud to cloud.

Data migration between OLTP systems.

Event-based integration such SOA, for example, BPEL performed calls of ODI scenarios based on EBS events.

How has it helped my organization?

All projects where I have implemented ODI solution highly benefited of high data volume integration.

What is most valuable?

There are several very important features that we use daily.

• All our systems can be widely integrated by ODI, such as transactional systems, our data warehouses, and B2B integration.
  • ODI is really powerful for BI projects with traditional star-schema loads. For example, we integrated Salesforce to an Oracle data warehouse with it.ODI is a platform agnostic, you may have any data source and any target to integrate and ODI will enable you to connect.
  • It facilitates real-time data replication from Microsoft SQL Server to an operational database sitting on Oracle Database.
  • It provides for legacy systems integration. It integrates any SQL server database.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement, even when something is really good, but I think ODI is one of the best ETL tools in the market. However, I've always waited for the web service feature to be improved in next versions, so at last the 12C version the web service has been improved, some of the limitations of the 11g version were solved. Also, it would be really good if Oracle considered enabling the tool to integrate with some other platforms that are deprecated simply for commercial reasons, although it looks like the cloud option offers some extra connectors (for example, in Salesforce CRM).

More than five years.

I've never had any issues with stability.

I haven't had any issues with scalability.

Technical service is a 6, and Oracle needs to improve this.

Besides ODI I have used SSIS and Power Center Informatica, both are similar and typical ETL tools, ODI up until 11g version had some differences, for example in ODI 11g we call the integration object as"Interface" wheres in  Informatica it is called "Mappings" which has been implemented in the ODI 12c version.

I still could see the Oracle solution being more robust and more logical, not to mention when it comes to customization, in ODI I felt more freedom to develop and customize the built-in code and designer objects such as the models, interfaces, for example, you can run updates in the repository tables"SNP's".

Also, ODI handles high data volume more efficiently, of course, your database must be well tuned a good hardware helps a lot. The other difference is that you have more flexibility to manage the ODI metadata since everything is based on database .

Getting the right JDK during agent config on Solaris was challenging on one occasion. It needs a Solaris expert to do this but in general when one knows the bits and pieces of the tool it should be straight forward .

I was usually part of the implementation team to implement the product .

oracle would better provide these kind of information .

What other advice do I have?

The setup of the environment requires experts on site, but it is very worth it since at first for customers it can be quite complex. The vendor needs to enable the customer on a frequent basis during implementation, but the results are great.

RA
Business Analyst at Paunaste OÜ
Knowledge modules can be modified to fix small issues

What is our primary use case?

To have a common ETL tool in the DW team, start a common way of ETL development, set up a process registry, and daily process flow.

How has it helped my organization?

It increased ETL development efficiency 1/3 in time. It has a short learning curve for newcomers, compared to previous MS DTS packages and scripting.

What is most valuable?

Reusing existing ETL development pattern in the next similar tasks. It's flexible to add new common procedures. Knowledge modules can be modified to fix small issues.

What needs improvement?

ETL process registry solution is missing. To manage dependencies between loading packages. Versioning logic and release process are not well supported.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

• It increased ETL development efficiency 1/3 in time.
  • It has a short learning curve for newcomers, compared to previous MS DTS packages and scripting.

What is most valuable?

• Reusing existing ETL development pattern in the next similar tasks.
  • It's flexible to add new common procedures.
  • Knowledge modules can be modified to fix small issues.

What needs improvement?

• ETL process registry solution is missing.
  • To manage dependencies between loading packages.
  • Versioning logic and release process are not well supported.

DB
Principal Owner at New Frontier Professionals LLC
User
I like the separate environments for dev, test and prod from one management facility, though the GUI could be improved.

What is our primary use case?

Multiple data sources: "Most" of them, Oracle databases (some MS SQL, some Sybase, lots of files and some web services). Because the environment was overwhelmingly Oracle, ODI (we started from OWB) was a much better and cost-effective solution for us than Informatica.

How has it helped my organization?

Far more efficient and robust than OWB, (it was the natural evolution for us).

What is most valuable?

Separate environments for dev, test and prod from one management facility.

What needs improvement?

Click intensive on mapping Lots of mouse clicking GUI could be improved.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

Far more efficient and robust than OWB, (it was the natural evolution for us).

What is most valuable?

Separate environments for dev, test and prod from one management facility.

What needs improvement?

• Click intensive on mapping
  • Lots of mouse clicking
  • GUI could be improved.

JC
User at Momentum Consulting
User
It lacks a suite of tools suitable for fully processing data and moving it into decision support warehouses. It does have the ability to easily load slowly changing dimensions

What is our primary use case?

High volume batch loads to move data from transactional systems into the decision support warehouse.

How has it helped my organization?

It worked fine, but we needed a tool that would include quality and master data seamlessly.  This is more of a standalone ETL tool.

What is most valuable?

I found nothing overly amazing about this tool, although I appreciate its ability to easily load slowly changing dimensions.

Dava Wang(汪燊)
Data engineer at realestate.pingan.com
Besides loading data, we do most of our transformations in it. However, the stability of the software could be improved.

• "​The installation of the client ODI Studio is easy.​"
  • "Besides loading data, we do most of our transformations in ODI."
  • "In our DW/BI solution, ODI is the main tool to integrate the data in a daily batch way."
  • "Most of the functions are very straightforward, like the data model, mapping, package, and load plan. Thus, a new user could get started very fast."
  • "​The stability of the software could be improved. Sometimes, the software just crashes. ​"

What is our primary use case?

We use ODI to integrate data from the OLTP database to the data warehouse. The source database systems including Oracle, MySQL, flat files... Our business background is OTA and the total data is about 100T.

How has it helped my organization?

In our DW/BI solution, ODI is the main tool to integrate the data as a daily batch. Besides loading data, we do most of our transformations in ODI. ODI is quick to use.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The ODI scheduler for agent sometime fails with no sign, which impact the ETL solution severely.

The property window in the ODI studio always does not refresh as it should.

Sometimes, the mapping or package automatically gets edited.

The stability of the ODI studio is not strong enough. It crashes occasionally.

Informatica and SSIS are also good ETL tools besides ODI.

The installation of the client tool: ODI studio is easy.

Basically the ETL tools is determined by the database.

Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The enhanced security model and debugger are nice new features while the new layout is an advantage and disadvantage
The new release of Oracle Data Integrator (ODI 12c) is now available. Let´s find out what the new features of ODI12c are that this version includes. First, is there anything fancy in the installation process? Just one note here: to be able to use ODI Studio, the enterprise installation needs to be selected (instead of the Standalone option) while launching the ODI installation program. For the configuration part, creating a new login to ODI repository you are requested to specify a new wallet password. ODI12c provides you with a possibility to store your credentials in a wallet that is protected by a password. How much it helps to protect and manage your credentials with a single password! Goodbye Interfaces, Welcome Mappings First of all, we do not deal with…

First, is there anything fancy in the installation process?

Goodbye Interfaces, Welcome Mappings

First of all, we do not deal with interfaces anymore; mappings are offered to the developers instead. On this background let´s talk about common features and functions across various ETL tools, like Informatica Powercenter, which has many advantages. As the previous version of ODI and Powercenter are totally different technologies, there is no tool to convert the flow automatically. Either you need to use the Powercenter workflow manager to build a new ODI package, or you can use a Powercenter mapping to create a new ODI interface, keeping in mind all the constraints that ODI11g may have, including its inability to load multiple targets. What changes now? Source and target data tables can now be dragged and dropped to the same canvas, which was not the case for the previous version.

Example canvas with components panel:

Moreover, all objects have IN and OUT connectors. There is also a possibility to use multiple targets within the same mapping as the OUT connector can be mapped to many IN connectors. The split component may be used to direct rows to the desired destination based on particular conditions. And speaking of the split option - a new components panel has been added, containing operations like join, filter, lookup or split to simplify mapping creation (see picture above). The star icon (distinct component), enables selecting particular rows. Finally you can take advantage of the reusability of mappings, which can be applied across various projects by simply connecting to other components.

All these changes made Oracle Data Integrator more like Informatica Powercenter (or other ETL tools) when it comes to the creation of the transformation mappings. However, it’s good to remember that their main paradigm continues to be different, as ODI is still considered an ELT tool while Powercenter is a traditional ETL tool. Of course there will be supporters of both and the choice may depend on budget or functionality.

More Nice Features

We also found some other features that make our lives easier. One of them is the auto completion and syntax highlighting in expression fields. Another one is that when one column is selected all the related columns are highlighted across the mapping. The entire path for transformations is perfectly visible. Nice, isn’t it? I prefer that much more than checking every single box to track all modifications.

Undoubtedly, adding a debugger was long awaited. It provides you with options to set breakpoints, inspect the values of variables, debug sessions or data. Step by step, you can easily review your work.

We also enjoyed the enhanced security model. Security is assigned to a role and the same level of security is shared by all users belonging to that role. Additionally, ODI standalone agents are managed by WebLogic Management Framework, which gives us the benefit of centralized management. You are offered a wizard to carry out the configuration:

Agents can be controlled by Node Manager.

Any drawbacks?

As always, there is a discussion around new releases on which features are useful and which are not. Some changes, like the layout, can be considered both as an advantage and a disadvantage. In 12c this is the case for the complexity. You are now able to see more objects at the same time, providing you with some new options like the components panel, but on the other hand it makes everything less transparent and a decent screen size is needed.

To read the complete post, go to:

Disclaimer: The company I work for is partners with Oracle and other vendors.

Product Owner, Lead Entrepreneur and Chief Technology Officer(CTO) at a think tank with 1-10 employees
Could use an add-on solution that might know how to avoid performance issues. Benefits from not having to maintain a separate ETL instance.

• "I do not have to maintain a separate ETL instance. I can change the SQL when something is not performing correctly."
  • "It can integrate with more recent databases like Cassandra, Hadoop, and other more recent Big Data databases."
  • "If there was an add-on tool to hide the performance issues and solve them for me, then I might be interested in that as it would provide me value."

What is our primary use case?

We are moving data from everywhere to everywhere else all the time. We will be moving data to a cloud solution in the future and ODI seems to be able to do it as well.

How has it helped my organization?

The tool is declarative, and it only runs on the target staging databases, so I have full control over it and I can change the SQL that the tool generates. I do not have to maintain a separate ETL instance. I can change the SQL when something is not performing correctly.

What is most valuable?

It can integrate with more recent databases like Cassandra, Hadoop, and other more recent Big Data databases. Going forward, that is very important.

What needs improvement?

When I do a BI type of project, I like to pick the simplest declarative solution that I can find. So ODI appeals to me at a base solution level, but that sometimes puts a lot of burden on me personally to fix all of the nuances of the platform that I am integrating to and from. Some might argue this is just a part of the job, but if there is an add-on tool to hide the performance issues and solve them for me, then I might be interested in that as it provides me value. I can see a great deal of value of ODI plus an add-on solution that might know how to avoid performance issues on the target database with, for example, the proper use of SQL functions.

it_user521808
Development Manager
Extracts, transforms and loads the data, does the job for us

• "It is an ETL tool, which does the extract, transform, and load."
  • "I rate it a seven out of 10 because there is room for growth because ODI is still new, in comparison to Informatica, which is a mature product."

What is most valuable?

It is an ETL tool, which does the extract, transform, and load.

What needs improvement?

At this point we are seeing what we need, so I don't know if there is anything, any big improvements that are needed. This is basically just transforming and loading the data. It's doing its job.

I rate it a seven out of 10 because there is room for growth because ODI is still new, in comparison to Informatica, which is a mature product.

We have been using it now for two years.

So far it has provided what we need, it's working fine.

It's scalable. Right now, we have a pilot project that we started with ODI, which went fine. We will be ramping that up for the other integrations and hopefully that will all go fine.

I think the support at Oracle is tremendous. We have a whole stack of Oracle products and the support with Oracle has always been very good.

We chose ODI because we have the Oracle Stack and we wanted to be in the Oracle space. We wanted a tool that will work long-term for Oracle, so that's why we chose ODI.

All ODI, all the ETL tools, they have mappings and knowledge bases and the like. Based on that, I don't think it is too complicated. It is fine. There is a learning curve, but this is going to be orchestrated by IT, not by business users, so I think it's fine.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend the ODI. The reason is that now Oracle, after a long time, has put its weight behind an ETL tool, which is ODI, and so Oracle is going to stand behind it, which means that it has a long life. That's another reason which we chose it.

Informatica is a gold standard in ETL and, before ODI, Informatica used to be the king of the ETL. Now, because Oracle is putting its weight behind this tool we think that, long-term, ODI will have a better future. When we had the option of choosing an ETL tool, we went with ODI because we wanted to choose something for the long-term.

Owner at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Has a mapping functionality that makes the tool very open and accessible

What is most valuable?

ODI is a very accessible tool, especially since the mapping functionality has been added.

How has it helped my organization?

We added DevOps to ODI. You can use the ODI versioning or our component, and complement both with lifecycle management, fully-automated deploy and integration with issue tracking.

Three years.

Not with ODI itself, but with deploying programs written in ODI. That is why we developed our solution.

No issues.

Customer Service: It could be better. Technical…

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We added DevOps to ODI.

Three years.

It could be better.

It could be better.

OWB: We switched because the this tool was at the end of its life.

It was straightforward.

It was implemented in-house by experts.

Not applicable.

It is OK.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great tool to work with.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We developed a DevOps solution for ODI.
Consultant - Oracle ACE with 51-200 employees
With the Knowledge Modules, we're able to create our own reusable integration strategies for connecting to RDBMS, Hadoop, cloud services, etc.

• "The Knowledge Module approach provides an easy and reusable way to create our own integration strategies. It's easy to create these Knowledge Modules to connect to new technologies, for instance."
  • "It needs easier security."

What is most valuable?

The EL-T approach that will first load into the target dataserver before doing the transfer is a great architecture improvement compared to standard ETL tools that use a staging area and usually process the data in Java. With ODI, almost all the job is pushed down on the underlying technology, for instance the Oracle database or the Spark server.

The Knowledge Module approach provides an easy and reusable way to create our own integration strategies. It's easy to create these Knowledge Modules to connect to new technologies, for instance.

ODI is really the tool for any kind of integration because it speaks the language of the technology we connect. We can work with RDBMS but also in Hadoop, cloud services, flat files, web services, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Thanks to the flexbility of the tool, we could build 3 mappings using variables and the substitution API in replacement of 300 mappings in Oracle Warehouse Builder. It's much easier to maintain!

What needs improvement?

- Development Lifecycle

- native REST integration

- Easier security

5 years

A bit unstable and buggy in the 12.1.2 release, but most of it is fixed in 12.1.3, so I would definitely recommend to jump to that version.

I used Oracle Warehouse Builder (OWB) which is now at the end of its life. ODI is much more flexible and has the great advantage to be able to connect to a lot of different source or target technologies.

It was quite straightfoward.

We did a migration for Oracle Warehouse Builder to Oracle Data Integrator 12c using the migration tool provided by Oracle. And I've to say I'm surprised to see a migration tool working so well!

In-house

Paolo Borghi
Oracle Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees

• "It allows us to use many languages to develop and to integrate practically all the technologies of the Oracle suite as well as those from non-Oracle vendors."
  • "I would only point out some minor bugs or glitches in the development interface (ODI studio)."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

My organization develops solutions using all the Oracle EPM products, and ODI has helped us to integrate all the different technologies.

What needs improvement?

I think that the product as an overall solution is good. I would only point out some minor bugs or glitches in the development interface (ODI studio), but I do not think that any of them are worthy to be reported here.

There are some difficulties in moving a repository from an environment to a different one due to the internal numbering through which ODI references the objects belonging to a repository. This often causes troubles in the porting, and for this reason you always must pay attention during this operation.

I encountered many problems with the ODI web agent (service that actually executes all the integration tasks) in the 11g version, which was not stable. For this reason, I always suggest using the standalone agent instead of the web one, mostly due to the fact that they do not have significant differences.

Scaling issues depend mostly on the tools that ODI uses to integrate the technologies. For example, if the number of records inside a table, which is the source of an integration task, increase greatly, the performance of the ODI integrating flows may degrade a lot. Their tuning, by the way, depends on the database (i.e. table partitioning, indexes or hints).

I only experienced once the customer service provided by Oracle on ODI and was supported by capable and helpful people.

The level of technical support is quite good. Apart from the first approach used to identify if the problem you are pointing out is a real issue or not, the second level support is really efficient and comprised of competent and clever people.

The initial setup is not really easy. To use ODI you must:

• Install the ODI studio (client)
  • Create and configure a master and a work repository to develop on them, being sure that they can reach the database schemas you’ll work on (relational structures involved in the integration)
  • Install and configure an agent (if you need to communicate with more than a server and to schedule integration tasks), choosing properly where you need it and opening all the communication doors to allow it to reach all the parts of your architecture

I implemented it with an in-house team, since my company is a consultancy and also an Oracle partner.

Even if ODI allows implementing a very smart solution with an high level of customization, I think that keeping the model of what you are developing as simple as possible is always the best choice. This is due to its future maintenance. Keep in mind that, even if you may be a very keen developer and you can propose the best and most parametric solution ever, if another (less expert) person inherits the responsibility of what you have developed, they may encounter difficulties in solving problems. For this reason, the easier you keep the complexity or technicalities of what you have created, the better it is.

This is also valid for performance - one of the basic rules of the informatics development is “divide et impera”, which means that you should always try to create “objects” as small as you can to improve performance and to be able to identify quickly where a problem is.

Being an ODI developer, I never had to pay for this product. I know that the pricing/licensing is not really low, but the product is really good.

I tried many integration tools, both Oracle and other vendors. I think that ODI is one of the most complete and open solutions, since it can work with almost any technology and it gives you the ability to develop the same solution in a wide variety of ways depending on the one you prefer.

What other advice do I have?

Always keep in mind that ODI offers a huge number of solutions to any task you are developing. There is not a best practice in solving a problem; being able to identify the best solution for your particular problem is up to you and it may also be difficult to identify. This does not mean that the solution you have in mind is not correct.
Always try to maintain an ordered environment, keeping only what you really need, and perhaps organizing the items in different projects or folders, or even different work repositories.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an Oracle partner, and we develop with all Oracle business intelligence products.
it_user515439
User at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Provides us with a relational database. It needs more roboust functioning and ease-of-use for development using reusable jobs.

What is most valuable?

Provides us with a relational database.

What needs improvement?

It needs more robust functioning and ease-of-use for development using reusable jobs.

We have used this solution for one year.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

There were scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is good. Technical Support: Technical support is good.

We had a vendor team help us with the implementation.

Which other

What is most valuable?

Provides us with a relational database.

What needs improvement?

We have used this solution for one year.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

There were scalability issues.

Customer service is good.

Technical support is good.

We had a vendor team help us with the implementation.

We looked at FDMEE.

What other advice do I have?

It needs improvement with reusability.

AP
Assistant Manager at a integrator with 501-1,000 employees
I have found most of the middleware and hardware to be valuable.

What is most valuable?

I have found most of the Oracle Fusion middleware and hardware to be valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

We are Oracle partners. We have our clients and they need this solution. We implement it according to the clients' requirements.

What needs improvement?

I think that the Oracle Fusion Middleware stack could be improved.

I have used it for almost ten years.

I had some deployment issues. Sometimes, issues will be erased if the OS and the system do not meet the system requirements and prerequisites before deploying a specific application.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

What do

What is most valuable?

I have found most of the Oracle Fusion middleware and hardware to be valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I think that the Oracle Fusion Middleware stack could be improved.

I have used it for almost ten years.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 10/10.

We have always used Oracle because we are Oracle partners.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I performed the implementation. If there was something that I was unsure about, I contacted the support team for clarifications and update patches. Overall, it depends on the situation and the time frame.

I have seen a decent ROI for the Oracle and Veritas Backup Exec products.

We looked at alternatives, but they could not provide us with the complete set of features.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution if they are trying to move to fusion stack.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Oracle partners
Gurcan Orhan
Data Quality Software Development Manager at Yapı Kredi Bank
A tool that can talk or learn how to talk, with any database or operating system in its own language.

What is most valuable?

Flexibility, ease of customization, extensive features, ease of deployment, and the ability to access to all kinds of different source system technologies. No need for extra hardware for transformation step. Easy to learn & develop.

Now, ODI has Cloud Service which you can deploy your repositories to Oracle Data Integrator Cloud Service for you to use both on prem, Big Data and cloud environments.

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) can support any type of databases that has a jdbc driver in a native way. I have accessed and retrieve data from an Ingress database. Big data connectors are implemented to ODI 11.1.1.7 (out-of-the-box) and upper version that support many well-known Big Data architecture.

Knowledge Module architecture helps you to build your data integration activities with less effort.

You can switch to source, staging area or target to improve your querying performance. If you have to do a join from different source systems, you can decide which data to move to where and figure out the place for best output.

Variables can help you to perform loops and conditional statements in packages for helping ETL

How has it helped my organization?

It helped me to reduce a slowly changing dimensions type 2 with the same output, from 22,000 seconds to 168 seconds.

Loaded 10.000+ files to a table from 1000+ different sources under 20 minutes with approximate 300GB of data per day.

What needs improvement?

They need to work on the multiuser development environment and include the ability to comply with different kinds of SDLCs.

I've been using it for more than 10 years, since Oracle acquired Sunopsis.

There were no issues with the deployment.

I've experienced no issues with performance. Since sky is the limit, you can do what you want to do within ODI in several ways.

It's been able to scale for our needs. ODI will fit your needs.

10. I generally create a service request per year and they are being solved within a week.

They're very efficient.

We switched because of ODIs impressive increasement in development productivity.

It was straightforward and very easy. Almost the same as setup>next> next>next.

In-house.

Worth every penny.

There are various options in licensing, either per seat or per target core count. It depends how you want to use it.

We also looked at Informatica Power Center, AbInitio, Business Objects Data Integrator (BODI), and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS).

What other advice do I have?

If you want a robust, flexible solution with no extra hardware that is easy to learn, then ODI is the right product for you. ODI is a tool, that can talk or learn how to talk, with any database or operating system in its own language. This is the power of ODI.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner
it_user521880
Director - Special Projects at Sandals Resorts International
The user interface is the most valuable feature. It is intuitive.

What is most valuable?

The user interface for the data integrator tool is probably the most valuable piece. I'm a relatively newcomer to the ODI. We opted to use ODI instead of Informatica. Relatively, I do not have a lot experience with a lot of VARs, but I've been able to understand a lot more about the direction Oracle is heading through the tool. It was very intuitive. It helps to have a good background in data manipulation, but it's very intuitive and has given a good appreciation of what the tool can do.

How has it helped my organization?

We use ODI to extract and transform data to load into our data warehouse from our source system, which is Oracle EBS. We have found that it's very efficient; very fast. We can easily customize and review even out-of-the-box analytics that came with Oracle. We’re able to easily go in and modify and correct any anomalies that we have.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps more learning resources related to ODI would be helpful. I'm not sure if that's what restricted the buy-in. Even though the product has been out for 4-5 years, there are still a lot of people who aren't using it or have opted to stay with Informatica. It could be because there aren't enough self-study or self-research resources related to the product. That surely could be improved in the near term.

We've had it implemented for two years.

Any stability issues I've had, have been related to the data itself. It really depends on how whomever has implemented the product. If it stands up, it works well.

We get very good and very timely response from technical support. Maybe, we just don't have very complicated questions, but we get very, very good response; very quick answers.

We decided to move away from Informatica after we attended an Oracle conference about three years ago. We learned a lot more about where Oracle was going with it. One of the key reasons was not just moving forward with the newer technology; it was also because of the compatibility with the applications we use versus the applications that were available in Infomatica.

We have the capability to extend it to other data sources, all of the non-standard data sources. We don't have to build out huge data structures in order to feed them in through Infomatica. We can read Excel spreadsheets and a bunch of other sources.

As a customer to a consultant team, I was involved in the installation and deployment of ODI. There were some challenges, which was probably due to the relative inexperience of the team that handled it. Eventually, they were able to get through it. Fortunately, my internal team as costumers were also able to do our research and participate in that discovery, too.

What other advice do I have?

You would have to evaluate what your key purpose is, and your existing, internal talent and experience. It's my belief that you should always try to have internal talent that is very confident, rather than having to always rely on consultants. If your talent has the experience in Infomatica – I don't think Infomatica is going anywhere – then it might be the best choice for you. I don’t think your office will fall apart. I think you have to evaluate which one will work for you.

We were new customers to data integration, so we decided to go with newer technology that had already come from the same source.

it_user521922
Database Administrator at Tarrant County College
I like being able to schedule jobs, especially when they're multi-step.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is being able to schedule the jobs, especially when they're multi-step.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't know why we have different database environments, but we do. The business wants the data to be collected in one place, so they can do reporting and so on.

What needs improvement?

I don't know if this is because of us or because of the tool, but sometimes I had a problem with the agent getting held up. I would come in and my jobs would be failing. Now I have implemented a script to bounce the agent nightly and this problem no longer occurs.

Now that I am balancing my agent, it's been running for 2-3 months without any issues. It's been pretty stable. Prior to that, the agent was falling. I was having to check it all the time to see if the jobs ran.

One other thing that I would like to be improved – it might just be me, probably user error – is when I try to set up the feature to have it email me the notifications of what happened; I haven't been able to figure that out. I set it up but I don't get an email when it does fail.

When I initially set it up, I did open several tickets with Oracle support. I'm going to give them a middle-of-the-road rating. There were a couple of tickets where I just closed and said, "Forget it". I found a workaround; I did it a different way. There were a couple of tickets where I got really helpful people and I was very happy.

Probably because of user error – as I’ve mentioned, I had no prior experience with it – my first attempt was a bust. I was fortunate enough that I worked someplace where they sent me to training. The second time around was very easy; maybe the training was what I needed. For somebody like me, I recommend training first.

I think some people have that ability to just look online. I thought I followed all the instructions, and it would not work. It might help that, the second time around, I used the more up-to-date version. I know they change things on the install process sometimes. Second time easy; first time headache.

When I came on board, I believe we had already purchased the licensing for this. I got to be the lucky person to implement it.

What other advice do I have?

Good luck. I do think the training was beneficial but I know everybody doesn't have that as an option. If you do have the option to do some training, I think that could be a really big help; it helped me.

I don't feel like I am fully utilizing it but based on the things I do use, once you get the hang of it, it's a pretty cool data integration tool.

it_user521565
Senior System Administrators Admin at American Tower
We use it with BI Apps, with which it is bundled.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's bundled with all the other Oracle products. We use the ODI with BI Apps. It does all the ELT along with our data warehouse for BI purposes. That’s good. It comes as a bundled package. If we want to use the newest, latest version, we can install it separately.

It's very user friendly. We used to use Informatica; compared to that, it's easier.

How has it helped my organization?

The learning curve is a little less because if you are already in the ELT business, you know how it works. Overall, it's good.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them make some more improvements on the troubleshooting side, to help with the troubleshooting because right now, the errors are not very clear. I think they are already working on it; it's in the latest release, but yet to be included in the BI Apps bundle.

It is still not as stable as the old BI Apps and ELT tools were, but it's getting there. BI Apps doesn't come with the latest ODI yet, but in the future, it might be better.

It works with Oracle Fusion, so it can be spread across the cluster. It's pretty scalable.

Technical support is good. That's the standard. It's good.

We upgraded because the old version was no longer supported. The new version comes with ODI, so we didn't have a choice. But, we like the product.

It didn’t come with any other option. However, even if we had another option, we would have gone with Oracle, because we are a big Oracle shop.

Initial setup is straightforward. If you are from a technical background, it's pretty straightforward.

We didn't actually look at anyone else. We looked at different Oracle partners who provided this software, but the product was Oracle from the start.

What other advice do I have?

We learned some lessons, such as how to plan out the entire process, and so on. Oracle documentation is good. If you follow that, you should be fine.

When I’m choosing a vendor such as Oracle, support is the most important criteria.

Technical Advisor at Gluent Inc
Video Review
ODI is a flexible tool that can adapt to fit your business, not the other way around.

What is most valuable?

The biggest feature for ODI is the fact that it uses the power of the source or target database to actually perform the ETL processing. So a typical data integration tool might have its own ETL engine, and that would be an additional server, additional costs, something else you have to maintain. ODI actually has the ability to create and generate code that runs potentially on your Oracle database, or even on a big data target, on Hadoop or somewhere like that. So, you have that flexibility, and you don't have to have that additional cost in maintenance.

A couple other additional benefits of Oracle Data Integrator would be the use of what's called a knowledge module. So this is like a code template that uses the metadata that you have available within ODI, and within your mapping, to generate that code, that then can be executed, like I said before, on the source or target system. The code will be generated in the native format of that database or that technology. So, again, you have sort of a hands-off.

These knowledge modules are built in. They can be developed and modified. So, the biggest thing, I always think, with ODI is, it fits around your data warehouse needs. Rather than taking your production, or your business, and trying to make it fit a tool, you do the opposite. You make the tool fit your business.

What needs improvement?

One thing that is included, and it's going to improve, is the integration with a configuration management tool. Right now, they integrate with Subversion. And we know in the future, there's going to be more tools implemented there for configuration management and some new features there. So right now, it's kind of one of those features that, it's been released, but it's sort of a beta version of that feature where a lot more functionality will be coming down the line.

So ODI is actually quite a stable product. As a testament to the product team that develops it, they're not going to release something that is extremely buggy or things like that. So, I do see that often they will release features that are highly anticipated and highly sought after. And they might release them a little early. So there's definitely patching that comes into play there, to kind of get the full solution there.

As far as stability, the Oracle Data Integrator has agents that run either in WebLogic, as a Java deployment there, or on a server as a Java agent, or a Java deployment. As long as a client has had the product implemented, with no issues there. So that's kind of the key there, you don't want to have those agents have a blip or any issues.

So as far as scalability of Oracle Data Integrator, from the high availability standpoint, if you use WebLogic for your agent, you can use the clustering capability within WebLogic to create multiple nodes on different WebLogic servers. And then run your agent through that process there. So if something fails, if the main agent fails, it can fail over to the secondary agent or, again, another agent in your cluster.

I'd probably put them up there around an eight, yeah. Being a system integrator of Oracle products, typically I'm on behalf of a client. So oftentimes it depends on who your client is and what their level of support is, as far as response and how things go. But I've always had great response with those guys.

A lot of the projects I've worked on recently are Oracle VM apps projects. So, it's the folks that are in the Informatica version of VI apps, and looking at moving to the latest and greatest, which has Oracle Data Integrator behind the scenes. I'm not saying they're actually talking about using Informatica, they're just, that's what they have. And they're looking to migrate. Quite often where we come into play, ODI is typically chosen at that point. And then they call us in to help with it.

It's not too difficult. It's tough to look at it from the perspective of someone who hasn't been doing it for a while. And oftentimes, that's what you need to kind of make that determination. But as far as just getting up and running, you can get it installed, configure an agent, quite quickly. And then the next step would really be getting ready to build a mapping. And they actually introduced in the most recent release, or maybe even when 12C came out, they introduced a feature that would basically get everything, topology, the models, all the data stores, everything, ready to go for you, just in one simple wizard. And then you could actually start building mappings quickly.

A lot of it is when they have home-grown ETL processes. So they'll manually script their ETL code. It's basically something that's difficult to maintain. So we talk about how we can use ODI to keep everything centralized. And even if we're not using ODI to actually build out mappings within the product, we might still be able to run that PL SQL or whatever it is, the script for ETL, from within ODI.

So we still have everything consolidated and contained and then the other approach, or reason for moving to ODI, would be the need to get off of that middle tier integration server. That we don't need with ODI.

As far as why consider Oracle Data Integrator, I think the big thing is the ability to consolidate all of your ETL into one place. Whether it's an Oracle to Oracle, source to target load, or even Oracle to Hadoop, or anything in between. SQL Server, MySQL, XML. ODI can basically talk to all of those different technologies. From a consolidation of all of your data warehouse or your data integration, if you will. And also, just use the same approach for mapping and creating processes for all of those different types of solutions. You have everything logically defined. And so when you're developing, it actually doesn't look any different than an Oracle source, and target doesn't look any different than a Hadoop source and target.

What other advice do I have?

So I would rate ODI a nine. And that's really because, just looking across the other ETL tools, so I mentioned Informatica, there's a lot of other ones out there. I've seen what ODI does from a sort of a declarative design approach, and the push-down of work to the source and target. I've seen that replicated in other tools that have come out after Oracle Data Integrator. That's a big key.

It puts it kind of at the top, if you're going to look at a scale across all of the ETL tools. The other aspect to that rating is how they're integrating a lot of the big data technologies now. And it's a big deal from an Oracle standpoint, it's kind of how things are going. And it also just makes sense to, again, keep everything consolidated in one place. You already have an investment in ODI, it makes sense to try to drive some of your other big data type Hadoop loads or whatever it may be from that same place.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a partner.
Architect (Datawarehouse / BI) at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

The ODI topology and designer are the most valuable features. The topology gives me total freedom in switching between technologies / ETL agents. The mapping designer gives me a good graphical overview of ETL mappings.

How has it helped my organization?

The speed in which we create/generate our ETL mappings has increased by at least a factor of four as compared to Oracle Warehouse Builder.

What needs improvement?

Overall performance needs improvement. Especially when running ODI clients on Windows desktops. ODI seems to generate a lot of network traffic.

ODI Studio can be very slow. Objects (mappings, packages, tables, etc.) can take minutes to open for editing when you are running ODI Studio on a Windows client when you have your repository database running on a server. It gets even worse when you are working on the same repository with multiple developers, which is not uncommon. :) The solution to this problem is running the ODI Studio in a virtual desktop on the same database server.

I have used it for over two years.

Migrating from 12.1.2 to 12.1.3 did not go as smooth as it should.

Sometimes the ODI agent shows running in WebLogic (middleware), while it cannot be reached by the ODI clients.

More than six or seven developers working in the same repository is the maximum.

Oracle support does not always seem to deliver. At one time during the migration of 12.1.2 to 12.1.3, we had issues taking over six months to resolve.

We previously used Oracle Warehouse Builder, which was discontinued by Oracle. Oracle Data Integrator is Oracle's strategic choice for ETL tooling going forward. We could not risk running out of support. That is why we had to buy licenses for Oracle Data Integrator (whereas Oracle Warehouse Builder came free with the Oracle database - until version 11.2).

The initial setup is really not straightforward. You really have to think about the architecture in which you want to use ODI (i.e., agent(s), repository setup, topology). But this makes the software as flexible as it can be.

As with all Oracle products, you need a licensing specialist to look at your needs.

We considered moving forward with Oracle Warehouse Builder, but dismissed OWB because it was running out of support.

We also considered Informatica PowerCenter, but it seemed to be even more expensive an option than ODI. With ODI, we could still use some of the present Oracle skills (mapping design), so the learning curve seemed less steep compared to Informatica.

What other advice do I have?

• Think about the architecture in which you are going to use ODI very well.
  • Think about where to place an agent and, if possible, put your ODI repository as close to this agent as possible.
  • If possible, run your agent closer to the target than to the source.
  • Try splitting up your repository into multiple work repositories for groups of developers of no more than five developers.
Principal and Owner at Sandwich Analytics

What is most valuable?

The most important aspect of the product is the ability to work with almost any data source or target. I can readily develop processes that use relational, file, XML, JMS messaging, web and big data sources or targets.

I can control the style of integration through "knowledge modules", and if they don’t do exactly what I want. I can write my own or customize the Oracle supplied ones.

The ability to execute third-party (or in-house developed) Java code by installing JAR files allows a great deal of flexibility; for example, I can add custom processors to do access web APIs that use token based authentication.

Another key feature is that we do not need to pass our data through some form of ETL engine hosted on a server; in some cases for example transforming data within a data warehouse all of the processing is done in single SQL queries thus reducing network traffic.

Finally, the rich SDK supplied with ODI allows developers to create virtually any form of development or deployment automation.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows a single skill set to handle virtually all of the data transport and transformation needs of a company. It moves the ETL processing to where the data resides and saves network traffic and the need for dedicated transformation engines - hardware that needs to be purchased, managed and supported.

What needs improvement?

There needs to better support of external version control software, currently only SVN is present, but I hear the GIT is planned in future patch.

From a DevOps point of view it would be useful to add better separation between ‘code’ and ‘executable’ exports, at the moment a piece of code will contain the embedded executable which bloats any source control objects (this may only be relevant to those the develop their own source and code control processes).

I've been using it for the last 10 years.

We've had no issues with deployment.

12cR2 is a new version, and there are a few issues with stability, but I expect most to be resolved in the first patch.

There have been no issues with the scalability.

I rarely engage with support.

As an independent consultant, I work with other ETL products, and switching is requirement of my employers. However, of the products I used recently (Informatica and Talend), I feel ODI gives me the most flexibility.

Set up of ODI Studio and the ODI repository is relatively simple, it is all done through a single JAR file executable. The complexity comes when you need to create ODI agents - there are three flavors of agent and the best choice of agent will depend on your agent management needs and infrastructure. The ODI agent executes ODI code and interacts with the host OS, typically one agent is sufficient, but more may be needed.

The licensing model has changed a few times over the years - read the Oracle price list or speak to sales.

What other advice do I have?

Plan your ODI infrastructure, especially where data is transformed to ensure you get the best balance between license costs and performance. Get your developers trained in best practices so that avoid unnecessary pit falls.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: ​I am an Oracle ACE and occasionally write technical articles or present at conferences. Oracle has no editorial control on my writing. Oracle may offer me hospitality.​
it_user453990
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The tool has a in-built "Knowledge Modules" using Oracle ADF which supports all possible databases for data integration.

Valuable Features:

The tool has a in-built "Knowledge Modules" using Oracle ADF, and this provides by default, all possible databases and technologies for data integration, such as file system, Oracle RDBMS, Teradata, and Microsoft SQL Server. This ensures that customers do not compromise their requirements and also falls within many companies budget and technical feasibility.

Improvements to My Organization:

We had a customer whose core business was a logistics suite. ODI was used for their reporting purpose in some key BI reports such as "Container Load Plan (CLP) Reports", "Master Data Management Reports", "Business Partner Reports - Non Shipper Reports ", "Customer Consignee Details Reports". The customers requirements were delivered by using OTM (Oracle Transportation Management) as the Source OLTP System by us. We were also able to integrate ODI with their transactional system and therefore, we generated the reports through an ETL & data warehousing model. Due to this, the customer was able to get a deep-dive insight into their business performance across the south-east Asian logistics industry.

Room for Improvement:

Although we're satisfied with its overall performance in terms of integrity, scalability, and usability, it could be improved by including a separate UI for viewing the session runs through the operator layer of ODI. They could also reduce the complexity of having to move between tabs in the same window.

Stability Issues:

There have been no performance issues.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a service provide for the product and have a Diamond level partnership with the vendor due to the level and number of solutions we have delivered to varying customers across industries.
it_user486495
I/T Sr. Software Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
ODI makes data transfer easy. Improved reconciliation and external authentication would be helpful.

Valuable Features

ODI is integrated with Hyperion Planning, Essbase and other Oracle products. Data transfer is also easy since ODI already knows the metadata of these applications between the different databases. There is also ease of development in terms of the interface and customization with scripts, as well as data lineage and tracking, which are advantages to us.

Improvements to My Organization

We hadn’t upgraded in a long time, so all of our business users were creating their own solutions with spreadsheets, for example. We realized we were behind and purchased a whole stack of Oracle products that have simplified the way we move and track data. The accountants enjoy being able to reconcile where the data is and how it is changing. That’s the reason we bought the tool.

Room for Improvement

It would be nice to improve reconciliation. Additionally, better external authentication support through Microsoft Active Directory would be useful. Right now, it doesn’t support this very well. You have to buy Oracle’s special product instead.

When you start integrating products, it's not that stable. For example, if you upgrade other applications, like Hyperion Planning, it's going to break ODI.

I still need to learn a bit more about scalability in ODI, but I don't think you can scale it like DataStage.

Technical support for ODI has been awful, but I think it differs by product because support for OFSAA is wonderful. When I gave tech support a problem, the answer I got was “Oh. Well, keep testing.”

Initial setup for version 11.1.1.7 of ODI was a little difficult, but installing 12c was really easy.

Other Advice

I haven’t checkout out other solutions, so I don’t know where it scales, but from a developer’s standpoint, I’d give the product a seven or an eight. On infrastructure, I’d bring it down to a five.

Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The features that we have applied to our project have helped to reduce manual effort and increase our scalability.

What is most valuable?

The main features we use and has helped us to implement our ETL process are

• Data transformation
  • In memory engine
  • KM customization
  • User friendly GUI
  • Versioning
  • Big Data support
  • Security support
  • Easy deployment
  • Reusable Mapping
  • Multiple Target Load
  • ELT Architecture
  • Application Server support for other vendor servers such as IBM Websphere

How has it helped my organization?

The features that we have applied to our project has helped us reduce manual effort and increased our scalability and growth. I worked on multiple domains where requirements were adversely different. We used many ODI features to enhanced our data transformation capability.

What needs improvement?

I am personally satisfied with current version, however, I think they should be able to provide a feature where we can easily use a configuration tool for TFS, GIT etc. This is essential for code management.

I've been using it for six years.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no performance issues.

9/10

8/10

I have not used any other product. However, I have seen other ETL tools in use such as BODS, SOA, and Informatica and I did not like them as I did not that they were user friendly.

It was straightforward. I used an application server for the initial setup and I did not find any challenges.

We performed an in-house one. If you have a technical team for ODI, then they can easily perform any implementation. If not, then you should have the vendor perform your implementation.

10/10

It is not as costly as other ETL tools.

What other advice do I have?

You should use Oracle Data Integrator for your data transformation, or at the very least give it a try.

Manager of Oracle Technology/DevOpsManager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
The client can be configured so that Excel data can automatically be pumped into Oracle Forms directly. It requires a client, which I don't think is the best way to go about connecting data.

Valuable Features:

I'm not very comfortable with ODI, but it is one of the Oracle product that we use. I know the interfaces and that it's used for financials. The ODI client can be configured so that Excel data can automatically be pumped into Oracle Forms directly.

Room for Improvement:

It requires a client, which I don't think is the best way to go about connecting data. Basically, you need to establish a connectivity between the client and the database, so when you launch something through Reports, in can be shown in the Excel.

Also, I think they should have something like Google Docs, where an engine opens up a document directly instead of having to depend on a client for connectivity. That would make working with it much more efficient and better.

Deployment Issues:

If you are applying it on more clients, it becomes a thick client because to have the client installed, it needs memory from the desktops. This slows down deployment.

Stability Issues:

If it has a client that demands more thick clients than thin clients, that means that you need to give more memory and more CPU for your desktops that are also using those same resources.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't had problems with scaling it.

Initial Setup:

I wasn't involved in the implementation, but I haven't heard that it was particularly complex.

Implementation Team:

I believe we implemented it with our in-house team.

it_user448707
Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

It is a clever integration tool to extract data from every possible source, and it can transform the source data to a format the targets can handle. It is suitable for data warehouses and data migrations.

How has it helped my organization?

We replaced many manual actions and tasks with mappings in Oracle Data Integrator, and created schedules, and then used SOA Suite services to automatically transfer large data amounts between different systems.

What needs improvement?

The integration between the Oracle Repository and versioning tools like TortoiseSVN.

We’ve used 11G for four years, and 12.1.3 for two years.

One of the benefits of it is the usage of the principle ‘write once, execute anywhere’. You set up the architecture in the topology within Oracle Data Integrator.

We've experienced no issues with performance.

We haven't needed to scale it yet.

We haven't needed to use it yet.

Previously we used Oracle Warehouse builder, and custom made PL/SQL data warehouses. We’ve chosen Oracle Data integrator over other solutions because it is the successor of Oracle Warehouse builder, and Oracle Data Integrator provides a more structured working-method, and the data warehouse is easier to maintain.

The installation is rather straightforward, with the available documentation it must be possible to do the installation by yourself. You must have sufficient knowledge of Oracle Data Integrator to make the correct decisions during the creation of the architectural setup.

We used an in-house team but hired interim experts, and created a team with combined knowledge levels, from rooky to expert. The initial setup is rather complex, and needs an experienced architect to make the correct decisions. The change of success is highly depending on the decisions that are made during the setup.

I have no info on the ROI or the licensing, but I know the license costs are high, so Oracle Data Integrator is only suitable for the larger companies.

What other advice do I have?

To benefit the most of Oracle Data Integrator it is important to assemble a team with the experience to make the project a success.

it_user448323
ODI Developer at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides good integration with other Oracle products.

What is most valuable?

The possibilities provided by using knowledge modules and the integration with other Oracle products.

How has it helped my organization?

The old fashion PL/SQL codes have been translated into ODI, improving the way of maintenance. Several developers can work on the same project easily.

What needs improvement?

The software is developed on Java so it is very hardware dependent. You will need enough hardware to run the software otherwise you will struggle with it.

I've been using it for the last four years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

When developing on huge internal repositories, the…

What needs improvement?

I've been using it for the last four years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

When developing on huge internal repositories, the performance is often quite poor.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

I have managed to solve my questions/issues via OTN or forums.

I haven't used any other products.

The first time might look a bit complex but using the right documentation it should be easy to handle.

It was already implemented on the projects where I have worked.

I didn't look at any other similar products.

Oracle Fusion Middleware Administrator at a tech services company
It has made it possible for our organization to rapidly build robust integration. There are no tools/dashboards to monitor/administrate this in-memory database.

Valuable Features:

The ability to build integrations that process large amounts of data (in GBs), be it file transfers ,DB operations, and web service calls, etc.

Improvements to My Organization:

ODI has made it possible for our organization to rapidly build robust integrations that process large data. The learning curve of this technology is also very smooth and can be picked up by any one with minimal programming experience.

Room for Improvement:

ODI's "in-memory RDBMS" is still a black box for programmers as there are no tools/dashboards to monitor/administrate this in-memory database. As a result, inconsistent data processing issues generally force us to restart the ODI server.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Other Advice:

The product may not be as evolved as Informatica, but still has a lot to offer in the Fusion Middleware Product Suite. Keeps all the promises of an ETL/ELT tool, but when it comes to Administration and maintenance the product still leaves a lot to be desired.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
it_user448791
Managing Director at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
It can basically automate any task that you can think of, such a executing scripts for servers outside of your Oracle environment.

What is most valuable?

It can do so much more than just load data. It can basically automate any task that you can think of, such a executing scripts for servers outside of your Oracle environment, executing any task that the IT team wishes to execute can be done via ODI. I created a button on a user’s machine once, this button executed only her job in ODI regardless of all the other jobs that were created. I love working with ODI because it tests your thought limits and creativity and the possibilities are endless when it comes to innovative tasks.

How has it helped my organization?

I work in a consulting role but I believe that by implementing it a lot of organizations’ manual processes have been automated

What needs improvement?

With ODI there is a lot of manual work to be done with the initial setup.

I've been using it for four years.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

99% of the time we do our own trouble shooting.

I started with this product.

The initial setup was rather complex but I knew what I needed to do to achieve the end result. There are also allot of reading material on these products if you get stuck

We used an in-house team. My advice would be to know what you want to achieve with the tool because it is very flexible.

it_user448446
Business Intelligence Developer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
The designer tab shows the operator, topology and security workflow together and you can access them at the same time without any problems.

Valuable Features

In my opinion the notable difference between ODI 10 and ODI 11 is the possibility to keep multiple interfaces open at the same time. This makes it very comfortable to work with. Another technical feature that I like, is the possibility to create a dataset. This is the Oracle set operator inside the interfaces such as UNION, INTERSECT, MINUS. It has a friendly interface where you can see all tools very clearly because the designer tab shows the operator, topology and security workflow together and you can access them at the same time without any problems.

Improvements to My Organization

With ODI 11, I have spent time developing different interfaces at the same time instead of developing them one by one. ODI doesn't have an interpretable language in its architecture, so if you know Oracle you can write mapping SQL statements that you need for getting the data. This allows you me to have a greater adaptability.

Room for Improvement

I would like more different tools of transformation. In the current version I have only worked with lookup and filter, and sometimes is not good enough for what I use it for.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for seven months.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We had issues with the early versions but lately the product is performing well.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Oracle provides good support for this tool.

The initial implementation was simple, and there are no issues to report.

Other Solutions Considered

I tried PowerCenter a few months before Oracle Data Integrator. I wanted to try the Oracle ETL to compare it with the tools of PowerCenter.

Other Advice

ODI is a great ETL tool that you can use for implementation. It’s not complicated to use, and with knowledge of SQL and PLSQL you can customize it a lot.

it_user447042
Director, Enterprise Analytics at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Able to develop transformations more rapidly than other solutions, such as Informatica.

What is most valuable?

The product separates business logic (data mapping) from how data moves from source to target. A Knowledge Module defines the steps to move data from an Oracle DB to SQL Server for example, leaving only the transformation logic for the developer to define. This results in an ability develop transformations more rapidly than say Informatica.

How has it helped my organization?

We spend much less time developing integrations because all we need to focus on is the business logic.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is a little slow. When compared to Informatica, the UI is more intuitive, but because it is Java based, it does hang at times. This can be tuned, but it is something that could be streamlined.

I've been using it for over five years.

It is adequate.

It is adequate.

I have used a number of ETL tools. I like this one because it is part of Oracle Business Intelligence applications which is my primary focus. I would choose it over Informatica because you can develop more rapidly.

It was straightforward as the installation is fairly easy and well documented.

What other advice do I have?

As with all software, read the installation guide cover to cover before you start.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are platinum partners with Oracle.
Vice President, Global Technology at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has helped identify data quality issues in upstream source systems. As a result, data quality rules have been implemented in order to capture them during data entry.

Valuable Features

The most value feature of this product are the Knowledge Modules. Oracle Data Integrator comes with a comprehensive library of Knowledge Modules that helps automate the data flow, reduce the learning curve, and shorten the implementation time.

Improvements to My Organization

The use of this product has helped identify data quality issues in upstream source systems. As a result, data quality rules have been implemented in order to capture them during data entry.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see in the next version/release the ability to scale a package workflow or data flow process during the execution at run time. Once a workflow is developed, a snapshot of the code is taken and a scenario is created. It is the scenario that is executed during run time. In order to add a step to the package workflow, you must modify it and re-create another scenario. Thus, making such changes to package workflow can impact other packages that are dependent.

Use of Solution

I have used this product for more than 13 years. I was first exposed to this product back in 2003. Before Oracle Corporation purchased the product, it was formerly known as Sunopsis. I learned to develop workflow packages with version 3.

We experienced no issues with the deployment.

It’s a perfectly stable product and we’ve not experienced any issues.

We have been able to scale it for our needs.

Oracle technical support for this product is excellent.

Although the initial setup was straightforward, you must decide if you will create one schema for the master and work repository or separate schemas. However, the product provides a step-by-step menu-driven UI, which makes the installation a breeze.

Implementation Team

The implementation was done by both a vendor and internal resources. In addition, name standards for objects (e.g., packages, scenarios, procedures) should be considered and each package should be design independently from other packages (e.g., Modular Programming).

Other Solutions Considered

MS SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) was considered. However, the internally-preferred vendor company was Oracle. The availability of a license and expertise in product usage helped in the decision-making process.

Other Advice

The most important decision is the deployment strategy of the Master and Work Repositories that is the use of Single or Multiple Master Repositories. The company’s internal policy will determine which strategy can be used. However, the most common implementation I have seen is multiple master and work repositories. It performs and works as advertised.

it_user435039
Software Specialist (Business Intelligence) at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has relatively comprehensive ELT features (i.e. execution of data transformation and validation processes), with scheduling.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features of ODI are the relatively comprehensive ELT features (i.e. execution of data transformation and validation processes), with scheduling.

Improvements to My Organization

In our experience with ODI, we've found that the best use of it was with the development of our data warehouse.

Room for Improvement

There are a couple areas for improvement. First, it needs better error handling (i.e. messages, debugging). Second, it also needs the ability to perform more complex interfaces (i.e. multiple sources to targets).

Use of Solution

I've used it for over a year.

We have had no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues…

Room for Improvement

Use of Solution

I've used it for over a year.

We have had no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling it for our need.

In our experience, technical support is just average.

It is relatively complex for a first-time setup. There is a need to set up separately the RCU configuration of agents, and there's definitely a learning curve to this.

Implementation Team

We implemented with our in-house team.

it_user435336
Solution Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

• Direct infusion of statements to the database, which allows the full use of database capability
  • Ease of creating data flow and transformation
  • Flexibility on technology on transformation

How has it helped my organization?

My customers started to increase their ETL performance with great margins. This was especially the case when ODI was used with Exadata, which allows each statement to be executed much faster.

What needs improvement?

The main problem with ODI is that you have to create each step of the transformation as a new interface. A big data flow can have more than 100 interfaces, which can make it difficult to trace the data. However, in v12, this approach changed to become more flexible.

Another complaint is with the user interface performance -- as the work repository gets bigger, issues arise.

I've used it for seven years now.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no stability issues.

It has been able to scale for all our needs.

7/10

I have a lot of experience on Oracle environments. I've started to have projects with my client using Oracle solutions. In my experience, ODI is a tool that is 100% compatible with all Oracle environments.

I can say that the level of complexity of the initial setup is medium. It is not straightforward because each customer may need specific logic on ETL approaches, so this means that your Knowledge Modules are mostly customized. Although except after the first installation and environment definitions, it is pretty easy to do after that.

I am a part of a vendor team. I think the most important thing is to decide where to reside this tool and its agent. This architectural question will help in the future to execute ETL processes. Secondly, the naming standards of all projects, immediate tables, Knowledge Module and folder names etc. are pretty important. Thirdly, versioning is crucial. All these standards should be done at the beginning of your use.

The product has a wide range of options on licensing.

What other advice do I have?

The Knowledge Module is the heart of this solution. If you have nicely written Knowledge Modules, then you will not have any performance issues. The language should be kept as common as possible and all in one solution. You can write in many different languages, but the maintenance will need a wide variety of knowledge in the future. This can be very tricky in the long term. Do not forget to clean temporary tables after each execution of ETL. Otherwise, the database will be full of unnecessary data.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is platinum partner.
it_user435309
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We like that v10 has a local database that allows you to train a client on.

What is most valuable?

The Knowledge Module is the most valuable feature in our experience with it.

How has it helped my organization?

This product can be installed on a desktop or a server to be operated. v10 has a local database that allows you to train a client for its use. This, of course, provides good knowledge transfer.

What needs improvement?

v12 has good features, but it needs to be certified with Hyperion EPM. Also, the Knowledge Module needs to be improved because it is the backbone of ODI. When we change the Knowledge Module, Oracle will not support the change in production.

We have had no issues with the stability.

We have had scalability issues that were mainly due to a bad environment. Also, if ODI is not setup for scalability, load balancing becomes an issue.

7/10 because it is hard to find someone who has ODI knowledge on the first line of support. Oracle takes a long time to respond and to provide a fix for issues. It takes, sometimes, up to eight weeks before Oracle will say that the issue is a bug.

We previously used Informatica when it was used with Hyperion, but it is not certified for Hyperion now. ODI is less expensive, and it can be installed on a desktop or a server for implementation. With ODI, you can do transformations on the source, staging or target databases.

For me, it was straightforward if installing it on a desktop. There is more complexity when installing it on a server. Agents are involved and in v10, it was not easy to install even the agents.

We implemented it with a vendor or sub-vendor team with help from the client.

The ROI is good.

Oracle has increased the licensing price for ODI.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing or designing, please have someone familiar with the product give their input. If your network is weak, the implementation may take more time.

it_user432783
Technical Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Heterogeneous technologies can be integrated with ODI, including the latest web services.

What is most valuable?

I feel that Oracle provides users with the best functionalities from ODI by constantly improving the functionalities in all areas.

How has it helped my organization?

Any IT company that relies on data coming from its clients or internal users requires data maintenance. All that collected data should be able to provide insight into the various behaviors of the clients across different platforms. For us, ODI has been key in collecting, transforming, and storing information from our various sources.

What needs improvement?

The two areas that I see for improvement would be the UI and the procedures for accessing it.

I have been using ODI for the last seven years starting with 10g. In my experience, Oracle has spent a lot of effort in improving the tool.

I never faced issues with the deployment since 11g. Oracle has made very good improvements in terms of the deployment. DBA objects take more time than the code deployment, which are the easiest and quickest ones. There is no room for errors when we have an environment in production.

We have had no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling it.

5/10 - Technical support needs to be improved.

I haven't used any other solutions since this product has the potential to provide a solution for any complex requirement.

It's straightforward to set up.

We implemented it through a vendor.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend using this for any data warehouse project.

it_user432117
Consultant Business Intelligence at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
I just have to configure the knowledge module to perform data extractions from multiple sources. I think that job scheduling can be improved.

What is most valuable?

The ability to extract from multiple sources, the flexibility of using the Knowledge module, and the ergonomics of the GUI are the features I've found most valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

Before using ODI, I was forced to develop programs with multiple technologies (Java, Python) to extract data from multiple sources. Now with ODI, I just have to configure the knowledge module to perform the extraction.

What needs improvement?

I think that job scheduling can be improved.

I've used it for four years.

We've had no deployment issues.

I think that ODI 11g is very stable. I've had no issues with instability.

We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

I have never contacted customer service or technical support of Oracle for this product. If I have a problem, I try to find a solution from the Oracle community.

I've used Microsoft, but I think that ODI is simpler to use and offers more flexibility.

The initial setup was a little complex because the architecture of the product was blurred, so I needed some weeks to understand it.

I implemented with our in-house team. You should try to have good documentation before using this product.

What other advice do I have?

Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It allows us to create scripts and share them across multiple data load processes.

What is most valuable?

Their code-once-use-everywhere approach for coding data flows. Unlike other ELT solutions, ODI allows for creating scripts ("modules") which are then shared across multiple data load processes. If you find a bug, you fix it once, and it is fixed for everyone. It is the same if you need to code a new feature. It is also worth mentioning that ODI supports over a dozen of scripting languages. Chances are that your favorite language is amongst them.

How has it helped my organization?

The main improvement was unifying and standardizing ELT processes. For example, each table in the EDW solution has a set of standard columns used solely for auditing, data lineage and debugging purposes. Because the code to support those columns is shared across the whole solution, we are now capable of getting the auditing information for every single piece of data in the entire solution, without having to code it individually for each stream.

What needs improvement?

The GUI is Java based, and is less than friendly. It feels a little bit like being in the late 1980s when I started using it. So I would say: hey, Oracle guys! Improve the GUI. Make it more intuitive. Snappier. Sleeker.

I've used it for three years.

Not really. There were some caveats when upgrading from one major release to another but that's expected with tens of thousands of highly customized ELT streams. Nothing that could not be resolved within a day or two.

It is Oracle. So, you get what you pay for. We used their customer support once or twice (for instance, when resolving incompatibility with certain versions of the JDBC driver) and got all our issues fixed.

I used DTS/SSIS, Cognos DM, and Informatica previously. They all have their little pros and cons. For ODI, the killer feature was the shared code. Plus, the whole EDW solution is built upon Oracle databases so it simply makes sense to use Oracle ELT tool.

Well, it is certainly not the "Run the installer, click Next Next Next Next and have it up and running" kind of an install. There are many types of ODI agents that need to be installed and tweaked on uncountable number of servers so it does take a while to get the whole thing functional. It is all well documented though. Don't expect any major issues here but make sure you book enough time for the initial setup.

We have implemented this with an in-house team. The main thing is to get one or two ODI gurus into your DEV team. ODI is built with unique philosophy in mind and if you try to start implementing your solution using your past (non-ODI) knowledge, you will get into trouble very quickly.

I have no idea. I was not involved in ROI related discussions. I can assume that because the tool is extremely stable and, once correctly implemented, runs practically without supervision, it is a good investment in a long run. But that's just my private guess.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you understand differences between ETL and ELT (ODI is the latter). Have a well-structured source data. And if you don't know anything about ODI, find someone who does before diving into your data-warehouse project. You can learn SSIS or Informatica yourself in days. This approach is not going to work for ODI.

Hyperion Applications Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It handles metadata management efficiently and exports data loads from our ERP system to our finance data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

It's highly flexible, and can interface with almost any technology. One of the best ETL tools.

How has it helped my organization?

It has streamlined and automated data loads, and exports from our ERP system to our finance data warehouse and to Hyperion Essbase. The post-data load tie-back to the source system was also performed using this tool. The tool has also made metadata management more efficient, and automated the process from relational source to Hyperion Essbase.

I've used it for four years.

No issues encountered.

It used to crash with large datasets.

I've never had to contact them.

This is the only ETL tool I have used and never found a need to look for another. It met all our needs.

Straighforward except for DBA involvement during installation for schema creation.

The implementation was done in-house.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product.

BI Expert at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Enhancement of the export/import features needed but a strong and reliable ETL tool nevertheless.

What is most valuable?

Strong and reliable ETL tool with high performance and helpful features

What needs improvement?

Enhance export/import features and add more features (I think they enhanced it in the 12c version)

More than 3 years 11g and now start working with 12c.

Export/import isn't stable and they don't have a clear behavior.

No issues.

Developed a project on SSIS (SQLServer Integration Services), and used to write ETL in scripts (PL/SQL).

Straightforward set-up.

What

What is most valuable?

Strong and reliable ETL tool with high performance and helpful features

What needs improvement?

More than 3 years 11g and now start working with 12c.

Export/import isn't stable and they don't have a clear behavior.

Straightforward set-up.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead it is a very good, stable and reliable product.

Database Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Enhances the strategic usage of data which compromises more reliability for large data warehouses

Valuable Features:

 Oracle Data Integrator Enterprise Edition has advanced capabilities like loading slowly changing dimensions, complex data integration process flow logic, re-usable mappings and design-time automation through scripting.  Built-in dimensional modeling tools are included in Oracle Data Integrator to simplify Oracle Data Warehouse Integration.  Oracle Data Integrator ensures automatic detection and recycling of faulty data before insertion in the target application and is performed through data integrity rules and constraints defined both on the target application and in Oracle Data Integrator.  In order to ensure real-time data integration, Oracle Data Integration suite provides all key components required to enable real-time data warehousing and operational data hubs.

Room for Improvement:

 As with any big tool, truly mastering ODI may take months.

Other Advice:

 Oracle Data Integrator separates the declarative rules from the implementation details. It can run entirely within a Service Oriented Architecture. ODI is the most integrated ETL product for running data integration as a service, accessing web services and writing to web services as a target.
Product Categories
Data Integration Tools
Download our free Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.