Oracle Database Appliance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Database Appliance is #6 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools. IT Central Station users give Oracle Database Appliance an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Database Appliance is most commonly compared to Oracle Exadata:Oracle Database Appliance vs Oracle Exadata. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 42% of all views.
What is Oracle Database Appliance?

The Oracle Database Appliance saves time and money by simplifying deployment, maintenance, and support of database solutions for organizations of every size. Optimized for the world's most popular database--Oracle Database--it integrates software, compute, storage, and network resources to deliver database services for a wide range of custom and packaged online transaction processing (OLTP), in-memory database, and data warehousing applications. All hardware and software components are engineered and supported by Oracle, offering customers a reliable and secure system with built-in automation and best practices. In addition to accelerating the time to value when deploying database solutions, the Oracle Database Appliance offers flexible Oracle Database licensing options and reduces operational expenses associated with maintenance and support.

Oracle Database Appliance was previously known as X5-2.

Oracle Database Appliance Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Database Appliance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Oracle Database Appliance Customers

LifeLock, Incarlopsa, Al Yusur Industrial Contracting

Oracle Database Appliance Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Database Appliance pricing:
  • "The price should be lower."

Oracle Database Appliance Reviews

SJ
Lead Oracle DBA at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Affordable, user-friendly, and offers good technical support

• "The solution is pretty automated, which takes out the possibility of human error."
  • "The product is quite complex to set up, initially. It would be ideal if it was simpler."

What is our primary use case?

We support their warehouse and we are looking into the network data warehouse product, which is tightly integrated. This is pretty much the go-to product for that process due to the fact that it's all in one box, and is pre-packaged. It's all Oracle servers, and Oracle hardware, and Oracle software and it's all in one.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to have different vendors and servers. Everything was all over the place. Now that we are on Oracle, everything is centralized, removing a lot of complexity.

What is most valuable?

The deployment is super-simple as everything is pre-packaged. There's very little configuration to worry about.

We manage everything through the appliance. It's easier to manage from our side of the managed databases and add more storage, et cetera. It's very easy to mimic what we need. we can easily add more storage whenever we want. The scalability is great.

We had Commodity servers - those bales servers on-premises - and there was a lot of maintenance going on with that. After moving to RDA, life is much easier because everything is managed through those deployed solutions. It's easier to manage this way.

From a maintenance point of view and from an upgrade and migration point of view, it is very easy because most of the upgrades are fast. We can take one down and finish the upgrade and move onto the next as necessary. It's easier to manage the patches and upgrades.

The pricing is great. It's much better than what the competition is offering.

The product is pretty user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

There aren't really any features that the solution is lacking.

Any limitations within the solution are case by case. The solution may work for some, but it isn't for everyone.

The product is still evolving. It could still, for example, be more user-friendly. It's not quite perfect yet.

I've been using this solution since last year.

The solution is pretty stable. I don't recall bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash. I find it pretty reliable overall.

The solution can easily scale. We've found that if we need to add more storage, it's very straightforward to do so. If a company needs to scale, it's not a problem with Oracle.

In our case, because we are on-premises, there are some limitations due to the fact that we only have two servers. We understand our limitations and we know it will work well for us over the next five years or so. And then, if we need to expand, we can plan for that.

We have about 500 active users within our company on the solution. We have reporting applications and a lot of data manipulations, and all that going on, on this database. It's mostly IT personnel on it currently.

We've worked with Oracle a lot, compared to other previous solutions. The company sells it with support and clients get account managers that they can reach out to. Overall, technical support has been good. I'd rate it a nine out of ten. They are very knowledgeable and responsive. They are very good. We've been satisfied with the service provided.

We used to have similar databases on different servers, and we had to work through different vendors. We had different storage, then different servers, then different vendors and the backup solution was on another vendor as well. There was a lot of coordination required. It added a lot of complexity to everything. With this kind of a solution, everything is on one kind of a black box. We don't have to worry too much and the level of coordination required has dissipated.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's quite complex. Once you get the hang of it and get it going, it's easier for others on our application team. It's also easier to manage int he long run. The main problem is that it's quite different from what we used to do, so there's a bit of a learning curve during the setup.

The pricing is really good for us. We have no complaints there. It's not as expensive as other products on the market. The excellent price point is one of the reasons we moved to RDA.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Oracle.

Due to the current contractual agreements, et cetera, within our organization, we are not doing or considering anything on the cloud - from the database side at least.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. There are still some limitations. That said, it did simplify a lot of things for us, compared to our old setup.

SS
Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has drastically reduced the amount of processing time from seven days to one day

• "The Oracle database is able to get the data, process it, and return it to the company's CEO's and CFO's within a single day, and thus they are able to find out yesterday's P and L by today. It has drastically reduced the amount and time of processing from seven days to one day."
  • "In terms of what can be be improved, I'd say Artificial Intelligence, AI. It would be really helpful if AI was incorporated within the solution."

What is most valuable?

I use Oracle databases with multiple clients mainly for analyzing financial transactions. They use it to find the profit and loss for each and every day of trading activity.

Finding out out a single day's profit and loss used to take them almost seven days to calculate. For example, if they wanted to find out something new, they could find the profit and loss of the day's data only by the following week. So we introduced Oracle Database Appliance for the extra data and to gather all the information we have across all the systems. We built a warehouse database that will accommodate all the information and we reduced the time to determine the entire transactions of P and L into a single day.

The Oracle database is able to get the data, process it, and return it to the company's CEO's and CFO's within a single day, and thus they are able to find out yesterday's P and L by today. It has drastically reduced the amount and time of processing from seven days to one day. This is our main use for Oracle. The business intelligence and data warehousing features are the best part of Oracle Database Appliance.

What needs improvement?

It could be that we may not be using Oracle and GoldenGate in the way we are supposed to be using them. We have faced a couple of issues with GoldenGate. Whenever we have issues, the Oracle support will take the time to understand how GoldenGate works. The stability of the GoldenGate could be improved, although it is pretty stable.

In terms of Database Appliance, the important thing is how you design it. If the underlying design is good, then Oracle will perform exactly how we want it to perform. But if the underlying design or the underlying architecture is bad, then Oracle is not going to give the expert the results he needs. It all depends upon the developer who designs it. I haven't seen any drawback with the Oracle database assets, and for the past five years I've been using it in our team.

In terms of what can be improved, I'd say Artificial Intelligence, AI. It would be really helpful if AI was incorporated into the solution.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Oracle Database Appliance an eight.

I've been using Oracle Database Appliance for five years. I moved to AWS Cloud Platform and now we are migrating the Oracle appliances to the Cloud Platform, which is an AWS platform as a service.

Oracle Database Appliance is really reliable. The stability and scalability of Oracle Database are reliable. I would say that it is more reliable than scalable. With the 19c, I've seen that it is stable in most cases but we had certain issues when we tried to create scale on 12c. We had issues when we used the previous, older version of Oracle, 12c. It was not that easy to use 12c because we had to get certain hardware.

In terms of scalability, it is not bad. It was not that easy to scale. I don't think it's easily scalable.

I think more than 400 or 600 people are using it in the company.

Their technical support is really good. It has really good products and I'm pretty satisfied.

The initial setup of Database Appliance is straightforward. But It depends upon the applications that you're using.

If you want to use it on top of the database, it's going to be straightforward. But if you want to do it at some other part of the process the third party client has to do an APA call. It depends upon the way they implement it. If it's going to be a third party vendor using it he'll have to make APA calls, then it's going to be a bit complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Oracle Database Appliance. Oracle is the benchmark in the field. Still, I would recommend you doing a proof of concept with Oracle Database first and then consider the other databases.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database Appliance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BN
Deputy IT Director at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Let a product do what it does best and this product is very good with its base purpose

• "The database is solid."
  • "Oracle could improve its capacity for built-in visualization."

What is our primary use case?

We use the histories to make reports like the MIS (Management Information System) reports. Mainly it is a database.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable part of the Oracle Database Appliance is just the ability to use the database. We make the reports on our own and let Oracle do what it does best.

What needs improvement?

We try to operate through the ODI, or Oracle Data Integrator, to maintain data integration. We have plans to use Visual I/O for data mapping, data flow, and things like that. Oracle could improve the capabilities for visualizing without other, third-party tools. But it is OK.

We are not looking for any new features in the product. Whatever additional utility we need we have been able to do using Hadoop for now. For us, the product can stay the same. The only way it can improve is by doing even better with integrations to other products like Hadoop.

The company has been using this product since before I came here. It has been in use for a very long time. I would say it is maybe 10 years or more.

Over the course of these ten years, I would say that this product has been stable.

We have recently moved the Oracle Database to work with SAP (Systems Applications and Products in Data Processing). We did this because we are planning to start now to scale up. We have a very good profile now to work with. I think scalability is good.

I think we already have 100 users working with this product in their organizations. We are planning to scale up.

Most of the time we are doing the technical support by ourselves. When Oracle does not offer much support, we have to do it by ourselves.

We started with Oracle. We did not use another product before that.

The initial setup is easy to do because we have the ability to do it in house. We are able to deploy this product by ourselves, without an integrator. That suggests it is easy enough to do.

We have a team of six people that we need for deployment and for maintenance.

There are no additional costs beyond the standard licensing fees.

It is not a product we evaluated to use instead of Oracle, but we have some small products we use with it to enhance the functionality and capabilities. For example, we use Hadoop for data modeling and other things. We plan to keep on using Oracle Database Appliance and we will do our data mining with Hadoop. We saw there was reason to use Hadoop with Oracle to have a better overall solution.

What other advice do I have?

I think for people interested in using Oracle Appliance the main thing is to rely on Oracle for the bigger stuff that it does. Maybe it cannot provide the kind of reports that we want. This is how we have determined the importance of Hadoop to our processes. Hadoop is part of my recommendation to other users who try this product. Oracle can do what it does best and Hadoop can help with reporting on the data. For other use cases, companies may need a different solution to enhance what Oracle provides — to complete one small part of the picture. When you find it, you should use it.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is worst and ten is best), I would rate Oracle Database Appliance as an eight-out-of-ten.

Muhammad Usman Muzaffar
Senior Vice President IT Operations at ZTBL
Quick performance with all-flash memory, and good technical support

• "The most valuable feature is the performance."
  • "We would like the ability to add more storage without having to upgrade to Oracle Exadata."

What is our primary use case?

End User response time for Core Banking Application

How has it helped my organization?

By adding ODA in our infrastructure, it helps to spare time for other Adminstration & Research activities..

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance. Its a pre-configured device and you just plug and play..

What needs improvement?

It has limitations of Storage as well as network connectiivty over 10G Fiber.

We have been using the Oracle Database Appliance for about six years, since 2014.

The appliance is pretty stable.

It is scalable, although it only has two storage shelves available.  The total usual storage after RAID dual parity is between 12 and 15 TB.

Technical support is very good and the people are nice.

Prior to using the appliance, we had our Oracle Database installed on a Dell server. We had some performance issues with the system, which is why we switched.

The initial setup is okay. We just have to plug in the machine and set up the applications.

Although, the purchase contract have engagement of the vendors for its deployment and in PAKISTAN we at ZTBL is the first who are deploying the ODA. since its a pre configured machine so no special training is required for its deployment. Moreover, the expertise level of the vendor is satisfied.

By deploying ODA in your infra, you can spare time for other activities instead of resolving issues of traditional system.

Should go wiht ODA , breakup the cost of hardware, setup & Licensing, you will find that ODA is much cheaper than any other solution in terms of setup and operational cost

we had reviewed traditional system configuration like servers attached wiht any SAN storage. But the performance benchmarks we have with ODA is not avavilabe in other options.

What other advice do I have?

The Oracle Database Appliance is a product that I recommend. It is really good for small businesses where there are database-intensive applications that need high performance.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Other
RB
Consultant at a tech services company
Scalable, simple to use and easy to maintain

• "The solution is simple to use and easy to maintain."
  • "If we were able to use Oracle Database to create mobile apps, that would be great. I don't know multiple languages, like Java, etc. I need to learn a separate language, right now in order to do this."

What is most valuable?

The features that they're providing as skills are the solution's most valuable aspect.

The solution is simple to use and easy to maintain.

What needs improvement?

The testing aspect of the solution could be improved. Right now, it's done by us, but if they'd improve it with tools that would make things easier.

If we were able to use Oracle Database to create mobile apps, that would be great. I don't know multiple languages, like Java, etc. I need to learn a separate language, right now in order to do this.

We primarily use the solution for data storage.

The solution does crash. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen occasionally.

The solution is scalable. We have a few hundred people using the solution currently.

We've never been in touch with technical support. We don't have the internet password needed to connect. We typically use a third party if we require assistance.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Mmusi Kekonnwe
IT Specialist Databases at Botswana Open University
Highly stable, but virtualization and support needs improvement

What is most valuable?

The databases run smoothly all night without any administrative hassles. If the database goes down on one of the servers, the load is automatically shifted to another server. You can troubleshoot the one that is down without affecting uptime.

What needs improvement?

Virtualization needs improvement. It's not easy to back up the virtual machines in the Oracle VM architecture. I would also like to see native support for Veeam Backup Software.

I've been using Oracle Database Appliance for about two years.

Oracle's support is not very good.

Setup was easy. Everything is step by step from the first to the last stage.

What about the

What needs improvement?

I've been using Oracle Database Appliance for about two years.

Oracle's support is not very good.

Setup was easy. Everything is step by step from the first to the last stage.

A company installed it for us but we were with them during implementation.

The price should be lower.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Oracle Database Appliance six out of 10.