Oracle Database Appliance Overview

Oracle Database Appliance is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Oracle Exadata: Oracle Database Appliance vs Oracle Exadata

What is Oracle Database Appliance?

The Oracle Database Appliance saves time and money by simplifying deployment, maintenance, and support of database solutions for organizations of every size. Optimized for the world's most popular database--Oracle Database--it integrates software, compute, storage, and network resources to deliver database services for a wide range of custom and packaged online transaction processing (OLTP), in-memory database, and data warehousing applications. All hardware and software components are engineered and supported by Oracle, offering customers a reliable and secure system with built-in automation and best practices. In addition to accelerating the time to value when deploying database solutions, the Oracle Database Appliance offers flexible Oracle Database licensing options and reduces operational expenses associated with maintenance and support.

Oracle Database Appliance is also known as X5-2.

Oracle Database Appliance Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Database Appliance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Oracle Database Appliance Customers

LifeLock, Incarlopsa, Al Yusur Industrial Contracting

Oracle Database Appliance Video

Oracle Database Appliance Reviews

reviewer1274235
Lead Oracle DBA at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Sep 27, 2020
Affordable, user-friendly, and offers good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We support their warehouse and we are looking into the network data warehouse product, which is tightly integrated. This is pretty much the go-to product for that process due to the fact that it's all in one box, and is pre-packaged. It's all Oracle servers, and Oracle hardware, and Oracle software and it's all in one.

• "The solution is pretty automated, which takes out the possibility of human error."
  • "The product is quite complex to set up, initially. It would be ideal if it was simpler."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Oracle. Due to the current contractual agreements, et cetera, within our organization, we are not doing or considering anything on the cloud - from the database side at least. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. There are still some limitations. That said, it did simplify a lot of things for us, compared to our old setup.
Suresh Swaminathan
Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 30, 2020
Has drastically reduced the amount of processing time from seven days to one day

• "The Oracle database is able to get the data, process it, and return it to the company's CEO's and CFO's within a single day, and thus they are able to find out yesterday's P and L by today. It has drastically reduced the amount and time of processing from seven days to one day."
  • "In terms of what can be be improved, I'd say Artificial Intelligence, AI. It would be really helpful if AI was incorporated within the solution."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Oracle Database Appliance. Oracle is the benchmark in the field. Still, I would recommend you doing a proof of concept with Oracle Database first and then consider the other databases.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database Appliance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer746640
Deputy IT Director at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Sep 16, 2020
Let a product do what it does best and this product is very good with its base purpose

What is our primary use case?

We use the histories to make reports like the MIS (Management Information System) reports. Mainly it is a database.

• "The database is solid."
  • "Oracle could improve its capacity for built-in visualization."

What other advice do I have?

I think for people interested in using Oracle Appliance the main thing is to rely on Oracle for the bigger stuff that it does. Maybe it cannot provide the kind of reports that we want. This is how we have determined the importance of Hadoop to our processes. Hadoop is part of my recommendation to other users who try this product. Oracle can do what it does best and Hadoop can help with reporting on the data. For other use cases, companies may need a different solution to enhance what Oracle provides — to complete one small part of the picture. When you find it, you should use it. On a scale…
Muhammad Usman Muzaffar
Senior Vice President IT Operations at ZTBL
Aug 15, 2020
Quick performance with all-flash memory, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

End User response time for Core Banking Application

• "The most valuable feature is the performance."
  • "We would like the ability to add more storage without having to upgrade to Oracle Exadata."

What other advice do I have?

The Oracle Database Appliance is a product that I recommend. It is really good for small businesses where there are database-intensive applications that need high performance. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
reviewer1033794
IT Systems Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Nov 7, 2019
A quick initial setup, good stability, and excellent system performance

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an operational system.

• "The performance of the system is the solution's most valuable aspect. In combination with the database, it gives perfect results. It's a better system than using other kinds of integrated systems. In general, the ODA control is much simpler to use and offers up the best performance."
  • "Technical support is not so great. It could be much better. The maintenance, for an enterprise system, isn't so great. It's also extremely expensive."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's a very good system.
reviewer888918
Consultant at a tech services company
Dec 9, 2019
Scalable, simple to use and easy to maintain

• "The solution is simple to use and easy to maintain."
  • "If we were able to use Oracle Database to create mobile apps, that would be great. I don't know multiple languages, like Java, etc. I need to learn a separate language, right now in order to do this."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.