Oracle Database Appliance Overview

Oracle Database Appliance is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Oracle Exadata: Oracle Database Appliance vs Oracle Exadata

What is Oracle Database Appliance?

The Oracle Database Appliance saves time and money by simplifying deployment, maintenance, and support of database solutions for organizations of every size. Optimized for the world's most popular database--Oracle Database--it integrates software, compute, storage, and network resources to deliver database services for a wide range of custom and packaged online transaction processing (OLTP), in-memory database, and data warehousing applications. All hardware and software components are engineered and supported by Oracle, offering customers a reliable and secure system with built-in automation and best practices. In addition to accelerating the time to value when deploying database solutions, the Oracle Database Appliance offers flexible Oracle Database licensing options and reduces operational expenses associated with maintenance and support.

Oracle Database Appliance is also known as X5-2.

Oracle Database Appliance Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Database Appliance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Oracle Database Appliance Customers

LifeLock, Incarlopsa, Al Yusur Industrial Contracting

Oracle Database Appliance Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

AQ
Chief Information Officer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
All-flash has helped reduce our report processing time

• "The performance due to the all-flash of ODA is very nice."
  • "The main thing would be to make ODA more affordable, to make it a more economical machine. Also, I would like to see virtualization, so you could implement all of your functions on one machine. Finally, improvement in the speed and performance would be good."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would depend on the needs of the company. If the need is like ours, number of transactions per day, number of transactions per year; and whether the operation time is 24 hours, eight hours; these are the types of things to consider when deciding. Also, what is the downtime you can afford? ODA performance has been very good for our requirements. I would rate it at eight out of 10 because the product is stable, it has very low downtime, and the support of Oracle is very good.
KT
DBA at LSC Communications
User
We primarily use it for OLTP which has improved our costs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is OLTP.

How has it helped my organization?

Cost.                                                                                                                                         .

What is most valuable?

Oracle RAC.                                                        .

What needs improvement?

Patching: Oracle Database Appliance patching comes out two to three months after the regular patching cycle.                     .

Three to five years.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database Appliance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Enterprise Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Puts our storage, server, and database all in one box; it's more cost effective for us

• "I give it a nine out of 10 because it gives the customer easy access to a complete database solution within 30 minutes."

What other advice do I have?

I give it a nine out of 10 because it gives the customer easy access to a complete database solution within 30 minutes. That is, someone can go live with in 30 minutes of buying the product, it's very fast to use. For instance, if you have a small company that you want to set up, and you don't need to put your infrastructure on the cloud, you buy this product and you are ready to go in the next 30 minutes. That's one of the reasons why I give it that rating. As well, it's easier to manage, because you have a central point of management which is the Oracle ODA. You can manage it by using the…
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

Database consolidation and for X6-2L also database performance improvement due to NVMe storage being used, which dramatically increases I/O performance

• "We value the appliance architecture with its “everything-in-a-box” highly standardized setup."
    • "In my opinion only one single command should be used for all ODA models, as it’s confusing."

What other advice do I have?

If you go with 1x ODA then at least establish a Data Guard standby system on a Linux server, e.g. Public Cloud. I suggest to use 2x ODAs in each DR setup.
    Sr. Director, Systems & Databases at GTech
    Capacity on Demand enables us to configure CPU cores according to licenses, increasing or decreasing as needed

• "NVM Express (NVMe) solid-state drives: This technology brings outstanding I/O performance for midsize databases. We have tested it by doing POCs on customer sites and the results were quite satisfying."
    • "Virtualization features could also be improved. A web-based GUI would be a good start."

What other advice do I have?

To others looking into this product I would recommend they take a look at ODA X7, which has been released. ODA X7 delivers more system resources and it also delivers Standard Edition Oracle Database support for the HA (High Availability) model.
    Oracle DBA at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It hosts many applications and deploys ODA. Patching cycles have many bugs that need to be addressed.

What is most valuable?

Offers easy deployment and setup.

How has it helped my organization?

It hosts many applications and deploys ODA quickly.

What needs improvement?

Patching cycles have many bugs that need to be addressed.
    IT Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Valuable features include an easy installation, good performance, and stability. I would like to see some improvement in the capacity.

What other advice do I have?

The physical installation is easy. They have single mode and high available mode options, depending on the budget. So it has all-in-one features in it. It has an easy installation, good performance, and it is stable.
    Owner - Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It’s very easy to deploy. Once received, you can unpack it, rack it, install it in less than one day and having a fully usable machine very quickly.
    Owner at a tech services company
    ​The solution has good stability and it is easy to work with.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, if your organization is constantly evolving and looking for less infrastructure support/planning for virtualization, then this solution is a one-stop-shop and a nice product. If you are a mid-pace organization and can handle regular databases or Exacta, then you can skip this step.
    Senior Oracle DBA at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    The manufacturer guarantees that the setup works if you keep up with the patches.

What other advice do I have?

The ODA is a great server solution for mid-size companies but be aware of the limitations when it comes to real application cluster. Also, make sure the solution provides enough disk storage for the life time of the product.
    Senior System Engineer with 51-200 employees
    It is easy in terms of management of virtual infrastructure. There are no solutions like this one.

What other advice do I have?

Overall it is a great product for consolidating Oracle Databases. With the newer models there are a lot of optimizations both in hardware and software. For example the cluster interconnect card went from 10GbE in ODA X3-2 to InfiniBand QDR in ODA X5-2. The "oakcli" has added features with the new patch bundles.
    Database Administrator
    This box allowed me to consolidate the three most critical databases in one single reliable server.

• "Easy management (it saves a lot of installation and patching time)."
    • "I would be happy to see the Oracle Auto Service Request (ASR) pre-installed in it instead of installing it in a separate machine."

What other advice do I have?

The biggest disadvantage of this server is its availability when you patch the whole machine, i.e. when you patch the entire ODA firmware, not the databases within it. When you do this kind of patching, you must restart the entire server and plan for downtime. This box has a network subnetting IP address pre-configured in it for internal communication between the nodes. If your network has the same network subnetting IP address, you must change it in your network. This box (as of x4-2 and I don't know about the new models) doesn't allow you to change its internal subnetting IP address.
    Database and Application Systems Expert at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    It has led to improved performance, it saves maintenance costs, increases stability and reliability and is a single vendor solution.

What other advice do I have?

It is highly recommended in an environment where no Sys Admin, Infrastructure and Network Team exists. DBA can rack and stack with the easily performed installation.
    CTO/Architect at Viscosity North America
    Easy to install, quick to deploy, and easy to consolidate platforms, as opposed to building an environment up from scratch.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very low-cost, simplistic solution, especially from the infrastructure side. If you have minimal staff and a mid-size environment, this is a perfect platform.
    Software Engineer, Middleware/CRM/Billing at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    It has High Availability and failover, which means you can have an all-ERP solution in one box, so you can use your database with your application server.

Valuable Features:

It has many valuable features, including High Availability and failover. This means you can have an all-ERP solution in one box, so you can use your database with your application server together.

Improvements to My Organization:

My clients like the failover feature, which is included for free.

Room for Improvement:

It takes too long to implement and Oracle should do something about it. They also need to perform more R&D on new releases before releasing it into the marketplace.

Use of Solution:

I've performed many deployments of it over the last two years.

Deployment Issues:

There were a lot of issues during delivery, but once it was fully implemented, there were only minor deployment issues.

Stability Issues:

There were a lot of issues during…
    Product Categories
    Data Warehouse
    Download our free Oracle Database Appliance Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Quick Links