Oracle Database In-Memory OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Database In-Memory is #2 ranked solution in top Embedded Database Software and #9 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. IT Central Station users give Oracle Database In-Memory an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Database In-Memory is most commonly compared to SAP HANA: Oracle Database In-Memory vs SAP HANA. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is Oracle Database In-Memory?

Oracle Database In-Memory transparently accelerates analytics by orders of magnitude while simultaneously speeding up mixed-workload OLTP. With Oracle Database In-Memory, users get immediate answers to business questions that previously took hours.

Oracle Database In-Memory delivers leading-edge in-memory performance without the need to restrict functionality, or accept compromises, complexity and risk. Deploying Oracle Database In-Memory with any existing Oracle Database compatible application is as easy as flipping a switch - no application changes are required. Oracle Database In-Memory is fully integrated with the Oracle Database’s renowned scale-up, scale-out, storage tiering, availability, and security technologies making it the most industrialstrength offering on the market.

The ability to easily perform real-time data analysis together with real-time transaction processing on all existing applications enables organizations to transform into Real-Time Enterprises that quickly make data-driven decisions, respond instantly to customer demands, and continuously optimize all key processes.

For more information on Oracle Database In-Memory, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Database In-Memory Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Database In-Memory Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Oracle Database In-Memory Customers
Shanghai Customs
Oracle Database In-Memory Video

Oracle Database In-Memory Reviews

Mohammad Dastpak
Database Administrator at a energy/utilities company
Easy to deploy and has good performance

• "Normally, every database server uses hard disks. In-Memory has a feature, apart from their database, which is very good. When we start our server, all your data needs loading memory. We can use that. It's a very good feature. I think they added this feature in 2019. We can mount memory in the partition, create partitions in there, and create table space from that spot to share. It's a really good feature. We use it a lot."
  • "We use some partitions in In-Memory. We have a very large table and a low dose. It is very expensive in data to load all of them into In-Memory. It takes up more memory slots in the server, as well as a lot of RAM. We use last partitions on the table. We always need to create a script and make a schedule that can load a last partition in In-Memory. Oracle doesn't have features to do this automatically. I would like them to allow us to load last partitions, as well as other table partitions, in In-Memory. I think a good feature would do that automatically, letting you see a table, load a large partition, and monitor loading memory. It's quite a good feature."

What is our primary use case?

My solution has a big database with terabytes of data and we use Database In-Memory for a lot of our data. Normally, we partition it and create big tables, but we can use In-Memory for data that we use every day or every hour. We put some partitions in In-Memory from some tables and we use that. It normally has good performance.

What is most valuable?

Normally, every database server uses hard disks. In-Memory has a feature, apart from its database, which is very good. When we start our server, all your data needs loading memory. We can use that. It's a very good feature. I think they added this feature in 2019. We can mount memory in the partition, create partitions in there, and create tablespace from that spot to share. It's a really good feature. We use it a lot.

What needs improvement?

We use some partitions in In-Memory. We have a very large table and a low dose. It is very expensive in data to load all of them into In-Memory. It takes up more memory slots in the server, as well as a lot of RAM. We use the last partitions on the table. We always need to create a script and make a schedule that can load the last partition In-Memory. Oracle doesn't have features to do this automatically. I would like them to allow us to load last partitions, as well as other table partitions, in In-Memory. I think a good feature would do that automatically, letting you see a table, load a large partition, and monitor loading memory. It's quite a good feature.

I have been using this version for about four months.

We have used this feature for four months and it's stable. I used to load one terabyte of data in my memory servers each time. I think it worked okay. I don't have any problem for now.

I live in Iran. Iran is sanctioned by the US government so Oracle can't provide any services to us. I study on my own. I use Oracle documentation and watch YouTube videos. I don't have any company to support us.

It is very easy to deploy. I always work in Linux, Oracle Linux. If you want to work from the GNOME GUI, it's really simple. You must state a parameter in Linux and then use their installer. Click next, next, next, then finish. It's simple. In Oracle 80 and 90, we have an installation system in a common UI. It's very simple. You must have the prerequisites and after that, install RPM in just one comment. Check your configuration and set up the database. It's simple.

Deployment in the GUI version, if you want to use that, is I think 14 to 20 minutes. In the command line, it would take 10 to 15 minutes. I can't remember exactly, but something close to that.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle is the best database, but I love open-source software. Oracle always has the first original features for three or four years and we use them because they are stable and we can buy in a large scale and use it for our office. It has no problems. I think Oracle is ten out of ten.

About Oracle Database In-Memory, in particular, I would rate it as eight out of ten. It's a new feature. I think it's improved from the last version three years ago.

Oracle's new features and data are very useful for us for storing data, loading it, etc. Oracle features based on processes are good. In Oracle, we just have four functions based on data types, but in post-production, we have more than ten functions. That is very useful for us. We'll add more functions and features like index and categorization based on data type, output, and large data. That would be very useful.

Private Cloud
JongGun Shin
Oracle ACE, DBA at Goodus,inc
User friendly with a good interface but very expensive

• "The application development is very user-friendly."
  • "The pricing could be improved. It would ideal if it was more reasonable."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an email database.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's a very good solution.

The application development is very user-friendly.

The SQL is great in Oracle. If you use other databases, you often have to find another syntax and develop in other languages.

The user interface is great.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved. It would ideal if it was more reasonable.

The design isn't that great. It's kind-of buggy and doesn't seem to cater to the Korean market.

There seems to be issues relating to migration. It's difficult to migrate off of it if you need to.

I've probably been using the solution for about a decade. It's been about ten years now.

The stability has caused us some issues. We've dealt with bugs in the past. It's not flawless.

The scalability is pretty decent. We've had clients that have scaled in the past, however, they didn't use Oracle to do so. That said, I believe it scales.

We don't have contract-level technical support. In the past, we've used MOS support at oracle.com. It was just for a service request. They utilize more of an open-source system and it relies on open-source technical knowledge. It would be more helpful if Oracle could directly answer our queries. However, that's just not the case.

We've found another similar solution called Ignite that we are looking at implementing.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's nearly always a cloud environment, which makes things fairly easy. Everything is already set up for the most part. Companies that want to utilize In-Memory just need to work with the existing cloud infrastructure.

The product is quite expensive. Organizations should be prepared for a rather high price tag. Our clients may end up moving to an open-source option to lower costs.

What other advice do I have?

We're Oracle partners. We've been partners with Oracle for a long time.

Our IT department first changed from on-premises to cloud. Our clients seem to like a hybrid deployment model. Now they are considering looking for other solutions that may not be as expensive or may even be open-source.

I'm not really a database expert. My understanding is that some customers want to make a product from the portal website using the In-Memory DB. Others tend to want to migrate from an Oracle In-Memory database to another email database. It's difficult when users want to migrate off of Oracle or simply to another Oracle solution. They tend to run into a lot of issues. Personally, this solution wouldn't be my top choice, as it makes things difficult.

There are a lot of alternative email database solutions. I'd just advise other companies to take a look at the options to see which would work best for their use case.

That said, while we migrated to another solution, it's still a pretty good tool, and issues just seem to arise if you are migrating.

Overall, I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If the pricing was more reasonable, and the migration was easier, I'd rate it higher.

Hybrid Cloud
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle Database In-Memory vs. Progress OpenEdge RDBMS and other solutions. Updated: September 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Paulo Martins
Technical Leader at European Commission
Has the ability to support large amounts of data once the architecture is in place

• "The scalability of the solution is very good. It's able to support large amounts of data."
  • "Technical support is below our expectations currently. It could be improved."

What is most valuable?

The stability of the platform is the most valuable feature. The solution can support large amounts of data once the architecture is in place.

What needs improvement?

The solution could benefit from AI improvements.

Technical support could be improved.

The usability of the solution could be better. They should make it easier in terms of system administration and for getting examples of statistics from the databases. An interface or dashboard for statistics would be better. Right now, we're using cloud controls to do that, but it's not good enough.

I've used this solution for the past five months and was an Oracle Database administrator from 2000 to 2005.

The database is very stable.

Technical support is below our expectations currently. It could be improved.

The solution was already in place when I began to work for the company. I don't know if they previously used a different solution or not.

We have ULA agreements with commission in place with Oracle. The pricing is okay for now.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model in the virtualization environment.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If technical support was better and usability was improved, I'd rate it higher. It's the best solution on the market right now, but it's more for big data. For us, it's the best solution we can get for our specific needs.

SumitGadgilwar
Solution Architect at ixtel
MSP
Simple to implement, very fast, and easily scalable

• "The solution is very fast."
  • "The solution is quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a warehouse. In the front end we are using MicroStrategy, and we are using Oracle as a database.

What is most valuable?

The warehouse is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The solution is very fast.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure about the improvements needed in the solution.

The solution is quite expensive.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. Almost everyone in the company uses the solution.

The solution's technical support is good.

I did not install it myself, but the database administration team did, and they found it simple. In one day they were able to administrate the data stack file.

Our team handled the implementation.

Oracle is a costly product.

Choosing this solution was the choice of the database administrator. I didn't participate in the process, so I'm not sure what was used before of if other solutions were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd advise others to look at the solution, but to be mindful as it is costly. Whether it is right for a company or not depends on the requirements. If they have the budget, they should go for Oracle. If they do not, I'd suggest they look at something open-source like MySQL or Oracle SQL.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Paresh Nayak
Oracle Cloud Infra Architect at Sterlite Technologies Ltd
Has improved database performance and has fast caching

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of this solution are: Fast caching Improved database performance

What needs improvement?

They should lower the price. My customers think that it's too expensive.

We have been using it for the last two to three years.

It requires a lot of resources, man power, and DB power, to make it stable.

It is scalable.

The initial setup is complex. They want to achieve what Oracle is offering. Oracle offers everything under one umbrella inn one offering. Whereas if I go for PostgreSQL I have to buy a small component separately from a third-party vendor. …

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of this solution are:

• Fast caching
  • Improved database performance

What needs improvement?

They should lower the price. My customers think that it's too expensive.

We have been using it for the last two to three years.

It requires a lot of resources, man power, and DB power, to make it stable.

It is scalable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend In-Memory because it is a robust and scalable RDBMS. We are able to achieve high availability.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

They should improve the licensing cost.