Arief Gunawan
Product manager at Metrodata Electronics Tbk PT
Great for building disaster recovery systems, very stable, and offers good scalability

• "On-prem, Oracle is the number one database technology."
  • "Oracle needs to improve its cluster technologies. They need to improve in the cluster technology using ARC due to the fact that sometimes people think that they have a redundant server when they are using ARC with the cluster and think that will increase the performance. In reality, if they are using ii with a big workload, sometimes the performance is not increasing, and can sometimes actually impacts it in such a way that there's some degradation in the performance."

What is most valuable?

The best feature on Oracle Database is the Data Guard. It's great if you want to build some sort of disaster recovery solution.

ARC is one of the best features. It's quite simple and flexible. It offers really simple guidance that helps make using it a breeze.

On-prem, Oracle is the number one database technology.

What needs improvement?

Oracle needs to improve its cluster technologies. They need to improve in the cluster technology using ARC due to the fact that sometimes people think that they have a redundant server when they are using ARC with the cluster and think that will increase the performance. In reality, if they are using ii with a big workload, sometimes the performance is not increasing, and can sometimes actually impacts it in such a way that there's some degradation in the performance.

Oracle has covered all the aspects of the market requirement. Let's say someone who searches for a security solution that has high availability, security, manageability, and performance. That's all of the IT requirements, basically, and they are all covered by Oracle. There aren't features lacking, in that sense. That said, while that's a true statement in terms of on-premises deployments, and Oracle really is is the number one database technology, when it comes to the cloud, it's still a question about how good Oracle really is. Most of our customers are using Azure or maybe AWS. Not Oracle. That's the one area that Oracle should improve.

I've been working with the solution for 11 years. I mostly only handle the core technology.

Right now, I would say that Oracle is one of the best solutions for our customers in terms fo stability. If they handle big productions or process a lot of paper, this is the perfect choice for them.

If they need to, companies can easily add more nodes to the cluster. It's easy to use its cluster technology to scale. I would say it's rather easy to expand the solution if you need to.

If we talk about the MOS, My Oracle Support, it's more of a self-service. Currently, sometimes it's not as reliable as we wish it was. Mostly, our internal team handles support as we can't really rely on Oracle. We'd only go to them if the problem is related to the product, for example, if it's got some bugs or something like that. For troubleshooting, our customers come to us for assistance. From a technical aspect, we are quite confident that we can support all of the customer's needs ourselves without using Oracle.

We previously used MySQL, although that too is an Oracle solution. It's part of our portfolio alongside Oracle DB.

When people talk about Oracle, especially Database, most of them mention that Oracle is an expensive product. However, if it's suitable or not or if it really is "expensive" depends on their requirements. Today, Oracle is one of the best choices, regardless of pricing.

Even though on paper their pricing looks expensive, everything can be negotiated. Companies may be able to come to an understanding with Oracle at a price point they can accept.

In our market, there are a lot of open-source products like EnterpriseDB. There are also commercial products like PostgreSQL. With Postgre you have to have MySQL with it right now.

If a customer prefers to use an open-source product, I'm quite confident with MySQL.

What other advice do I have?

We are an Oracle Platinum Partner.

I'd first advise any company considering Oracle to learn the benefits first before they talk about the pricing. We like to do an assessment with the customer right away. The first thing we need to know is their pain points and basic requirement and also if they have a common problem in their system. I will judge that against the benefits of Oracle's technology, which is in the database. At the end of the day, if the features can solve your problem, then money comes as a secondary concern.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. There isn't a perfect solution on the market, however, this comes pretty close.

Omar Al-Qaysie
Senior Chief Engineer at ministry of electricity
Reliable and stable with excellent features

• "It is reliable. It's very stable."
  • "The solution can be quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

I use Oracle in two systems. The first one is called the Complaint Management System, and the second one was for Human Resources for the Ministry of Electricity in Iraq.

The Complaint Management System is related to a call center. There is a call center responsible for writing down the complaints from the customers about their network electricity. If there is an error they reach out to us. There is an operator there writing down this complaint using his terminal. There are many different call centers in the country and all of them write up these complaints using the Oracle Database.

What is most valuable?

Oracle has always been a wonderful database.

It is reliable. It's very stable.

The solution has everything you are looking for in terms of features on offer. It's very complete.

What needs improvement?

The solution can be quite expensive. It would be ideal if they could work on the pricing model in order to figure out how to lower the licensing.

It takes time to learn Oracle. There's a bit of a learning curve. It's not easy to use at first, however, slowly, day by day, you can get and develop your skills.

There are a lot of YouTube videos and tons of material on Google that you can access. You can also easily find so many training institutes all over the world if you really want to understand aspects of the product. It would be ideal if Oracle could initiate some sort of learning center in Iraq. Even if it's just on Youtube, if it can be catered towards Iraqis to showcase the technology in the form of online Youtube videos or webinars, it would be extremely useful for expanding the solution within the Iraqi market. Right now, competitors like Microsoft can easily come in and just say "here's what we do, and at less cost than Oracle".

The initial setup is a little complex.

I've been using the solution for about ten years at this point. It's been around a decade, and therefore I've used it for quite a while.

The solution is stable most of the time. Unfortunately, I faced a few different issues. I was luckily able to solve them.

It's very important, if you choose Oracle as a solution, to also get the support as well. You can technically live without it, however, if you run into issues, Oracle can help you when you have the support that they offer.

In my case, I didn't have support so I had to kind-of feel around for a solution. I made the mistake, after the first year, of not renewing my support and I really should have.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it outward, it can do so.

While it's my understanding that technical support is good, frankly, for the first year, I didn't ask them for any help. Therefore, I don't have any experience with Oracle support.

That said, I have full faith that they will respond very well to any issues.

In my case, I had support for the first year of service and then did not renew it. You really should renew though.

The initial setup was not really so straightforward. It's actually rather complex.

There are two ways to start with Oracle. You can go in by yourself and try to learn as you go or you can study a bit at an institute or school so that you can get pretty comfortable with the product. If you have some knowledge, there's less of a learning curve during installation.

The support does cost extra, however, it is worth the extra money. It really comes in handy if you run into problems.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a partnership or special business relationship with Oracle.

I really enjoy using the solution. It is stable and reliable.

It's more expensive than Microsoft's options, however, I personally prefer working with it. It's worth the extra money.

Aside from stability issues and a certain level of complexity, it's quite a good solution. I would rate it eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Arief Gunawan
Product manager at Metrodata Electronics Tbk PT
Competitive pricing, stable, and scalable

• "The pricing is very competitive. Oracle is still the number one database company. From the technical aspects, Oracle Database is the best solution for small, medium, and big industries."
  • "I'm in Indonesia. From what I know, Ali Cloud has already built a center in Indonesia, and Google also has a data center in Indonesia. I have heard that Amazon will also build a data center in Indonesia, and the same will be with Azure if they deal with the Indonesian government. I'm quite appreciative of what Amazon has done by deciding to have a local data center. I expect Oracle to do the same, but Oracle doesn't seem to have plans to build a data center in Indonesia. This is something that needs to be improved. Oracle should follow all the other cloud providers who see a potential market in Indonesia. It would be better for Oracle to be equal to other cloud providers and have a data center in Indonesia so they can compete. Having a local data center means that they can avoid performance issues, the latency of the network, and all the things that are related to the network for internet-based solutions. Customers in Indonesia expect a local data center."

What is our primary use case?

I have been using as well as selling Oracle Database from version 8 till version 19C. We have on-premises and cloud deployments.

I am working on cloud-based solutions. We are introducing Oracle Cloud infrastructure to our internal sales teams to show that Oracle has an Oracle Cloud as well, and it is called Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The pricing is very competitive. Oracle is still the number one database company. From the technical aspects, Oracle Database is the best solution for small, medium, and big industries.

What needs improvement?

I'm in Indonesia. From what I know, Ali Cloud has already built a center in Indonesia, and Google also has a data center in Indonesia. I have heard that Amazon will also build a data center in Indonesia, and the same will be with Azure if they deal with the Indonesian government. I'm quite appreciative of what Amazon has done by deciding to have a local data center. I expect Oracle to do the same, but Oracle doesn't seem to have plans to build a data center in Indonesia. This is something that needs to be improved.

Oracle should follow all the other cloud providers who see a potential market in Indonesia. It would be better for Oracle to be equal to other cloud providers and have a data center in Indonesia so they can compete. Having a local data center means that they can avoid performance issues, the latency of the network, and all the things that are related to the network for internet-based solutions. Customers in Indonesia expect a local data center.

I have been using Oracle Database for almost ten years.

It is stable and scalable. Stability and scalability are our prerequisites for all cloud solutions. A solution must be stable and scalable to be used. Oracle has already covered that part.

It is scalable. Many customers of ours are using Oracle Database as their database infrastructure. Our customers are from all industries, such as communication, manufacturing, distribution, retail, etc. We plan to keep selling this solution.

We have our own technical support to help customers to implement or maintain Oracle solutions.

The deployment and activation process is similar to other cloud providers. The cloud deployment takes around 45 hours because you need to activate the services after Oracle provisions the services. After a customer orders for the cloud, Oracle provisions the services. The service is ready maybe in a week. Oracle sends us an email to activate the services.

We have consultants to deploy Oracle Cloud Infrastructure and Oracle solutions in our company. We have around 20 engineers who are Oracle Certified or Oracle Database Professionals.

We provide services for implementation as well as for after-sales and maintenance if customers take our technical support. We have enough technical support to help customers to implement or maintain Oracle solutions.

Its price is already low. Oracle has a competitive and cheaper price as compared to others. Oracle Cloud is cheaper than other clouds. The pricing is very competitive for Oracle Cloud to be in the market. Their pricing makes customers interested in using this product even though Oracle doesn't have a local data center at this moment.

What other advice do I have?

It is the cloud era, so everyone is talking about cloud solutions. Oracle must improve its solution to be equal to other cloud providers. Oracle Cloud still has a data center out of Indonesia as compared to other competitors who already have a local data center in Indonesia. A provider with a local data center will be the best if you are using an internet-based product or a cloud-based solution.

Customers will prefer a solution that has a local data center because it eliminates the problems related to the network and performance. If Oracle has a local data center, the only thing that a customer will have to consider is the pricing. Oracle already has cheaper pricing than others, but cheaper pricing is not enough for a cloud solution at this point. Customers also expect good performance when they are accessing the cloud.

I would rate Oracle Database a nine out of ten. I cannot give it a ten because there is no perfect product.

RK
Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
One of the best DBs for business-critical data and scaling for heavy requirements

• "The features that I have found most valuable are things like cluster setup and RAC One. We are using the main CQN and third party plugin support right now. We are relying on different languages support that we are getting from the Oracle side. It is one of the major areas in which Oracle excels compared to other databases."
  • "There are a lot of additional costs. That is the reason we are only leveraging for transactional related purposes, so that we do not spend so much on doing the same thing on Oracle. That is the reason we are looking for open source databases now."

What is our primary use case?

It is deployed on AWS Cloud, but it is an IaaS setup, not the PaaS one.

We are using or leveraging Oracle DB for storing the transaction related details. Along with that we are heavily relying on the CCQ and setup that Oracle provides. They were sending a notification for any changes or transactional log audit purposes that we are using.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved vis-à-vis our use cases and requirements, there is nothing. Nonetheless, we are trying to move to other companies because of the licensing cost that we're incurring on a monthly basis. Other than that we are not seeing any performance issues or require additional add-ons based on our use cases.

I have been using Oracle Database for around four years.

It requires patching that we need to do manually from our end. To use the patches released from the Oracle side requires maintenance.

We have a dedicated team of DBA's that took care of the maintenance and dispatching. There are times reserved for that purpose, and during that time whenever a business requirement is very low or there is less load on the DB, that is when we do it.

It is quite stable.

The RAC One feature that I mentioned is one of the highlights of Oracle. We're using that for scalability and management. If we're increasing we can easily plug the nodes into the DB and we can distribute the load. It's not a problem.

Right now we are creating these transaction logs from different DBs that we have in place so it's not directly any application or anyone in these dealings. ETL jobs are defined and in place so that we can extract and dump the logs into the Oracle DB.

We have a team of administrators working on it.

Our team used to do it without any kind of technical challenges. Anything which we are not able to solve from our end our DBA team used to reach out to them.

We have a separate team who is doing all the tickets and stuff.

The initial setup is a bit complex because we need to define rules and permissions for each and every user's perspective. The initial setup took us a bit to put everything in place.

We were getting help from the Oracle DBA support when we we set up Oracle.

Right now we are paying per license to Oracle and for whatever additional features we are leveraging. For that we need to pay extra on top of the license.

What other advice do I have?

As I mentioned previously, as per our use cases, the features that Oracle is currently providing are more than enough. We haven't seen any new features that should be included because all the features that we need to support our business requirements are there.

Oracle is a great DB. If you very heavily rely on it for very business-critical data and certain scaling is required or heavy requirements from the technology perspective, I would say Oracle is one of the best DB's. But for that you need to pay a heavy amount for the licensing costs. Everything is included in the package, but apart from a few additional features we also need to pay extra.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Oracle Database a 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
AL
Head Of Information Technology at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, with good technical support, but very expensive

• "The scalability is quite good."
  • "They should be putting more emphasis on the Windows platform. Usually, they run very well on the Linux platform, however, their performance on Windows is a little bit lower quality."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for our online transaction system - that is debit cards - and we are using it for our loan origination system as well. There are two systems that are deployed on it and we are getting a good experience from it.

What is most valuable?

The Data Guard feature is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is quite good.

I have always found the technical support to be very helpful.

What needs improvement?

The solution is expensive. They should work at making the pricing more reasonable.

They have to work on their flashback feature. Right now, it is a cumbersome process.

It is actually very heavy on the storage. If Oracle could do something about it, that would be great.

I've been using the solution for the last 23 years at this point. It's been over two decades. I've used it for a long time.

The stability is quite good. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The product is quite scalable. You can add as many servers as you would like to. It's not a problem.

The product is not deployed for the user base. It is deployed for the backend service. The amount of actual users is only one or two people.

We do not have plans to increase usage. The cost is too much of a factor now. I'm not sure if I will be using it anymore.

Technical support has been great. I am satisfied with the level of service we receive.

We have Oracle Database and SQL Central Server Database in our environment. We're moving to SQL based on the generally high cost of Oracle.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

I'm very comfortable with Oracle as well, so for me, it was very, very convenient. I can't speak to the end-user or a user with the lower skillset in terms of their capabilities of setting it up. However, if you have some experience with Oracle, it's not bad.

The deployment only takes 45 minutes to an hour. It doesn't take long.

I have installed it personally and it is very straightforward. However, it is possible to use an integrator or consultant to get the proper assistance.

We don't really calculate the ROI on the database itself. We calculate the ROI for the system. On whichever system is deployed on a database, we calculate it on a community basis. Therefore, of course, we get the ROI from whatever technology we deploy.

While I'm a fan of Oracle as a solution, I am not a fan of the cost. It is very expensive.

For medium to small organizations, the current cost might not be viable as compared to SQL Server, which is much cheaper than Oracle and provides approximately the same functionality that they have.

You can choose a core-based license or a user-based license. There are no extra costs above the standard licensing fees. Typically it is a five-year contract that can be paid monthly or yearly.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

I'd advise those considering the solution to always keep their logs on a different database. Also, they have to make sure the parameterization they do in their initial setup is very, very extensively thought out.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

AhmedElbadry
NMS Service Automation & RPA Technical Lead at Vodafone
Easy to use, stable, and offers good technical support

• "Technical support is helpful."
  • "Sometimes they tell us we can't upgrade the database for now as there's a vulnerability Oracle couldn't find a solution for."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a black box for us. I'm working on it for maintenance and check everything - check the cables, check the relationship between cables to serve this product, et cetera. Sometimes our customer needs to extract some information from the system via our extension for the database to extract this info directly from the database and not from the system.

We didn't interact more on the database so the use cases are mostly related to the extraction of information in tables. To check the database status, we have another system, a geosystem, so we check the replication between the two systems. Some operations are a little more than general development on the database.

What is most valuable?

The database is very easy to use.

We are making some automation scripts. We are working to minimize and reduce the logs and it's very helpful to be able to have the capabilities to do this.

The solution is very stable.

Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

We didn't have any complaints about Oracle Database except for the vulnerability we see in some aspects of the product. Sometimes we receive some vulnerability email from the security team and it's sent to the product owner to check the vulnerability. Sometimes they tell us we can't upgrade the database for now as there's a vulnerability Oracle couldn't find a solution for. After one month or two, they're back to us and let us know they've solved it. They need to do a better job of patching security issues they find and making those patches happen faster.

The solution is a bit expensive.

I have an intermediate amount of experience with Oracle. I've used it for a while. I've been used it for about a year.

The stability of the solution is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable.

The solution is very scalable. Ours was managing about 5,000 servers all over Egypt. The performance and historical transaction on sites is good, and if you need more storage on your database, you can do so with relative ease.

We have 200 users logged in at any given time.

Support is very good. If I have an issue, I simply open a case with Oracle. They are very helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the support. They've been good.

We did previously use Microsoft SQL. We found it to be very fast and responsive. We're still using it, actually. It is the database for our distribution.

I cannot speak to the implementation process. I'm not sure how easy or difficult the setup is as I did not handle any aspect of it.

That said, if I have the manual and steps for installation, I can install it.

We have three people on staff that can handle maintenance. They're all engineers.

We had a vendor that handled the implementation for us.

I find the pricing to be high. They should work to lower it if possible.

We pay a yearly licensing and support fee to Oracle. I can't speak to the exact costs, however.

What other advice do I have?

I can't recall the exact version number of the solution, however, it's my understanding that it is version 11.

I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten. We've been quite pleased with the overall capabilities so far.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies. We've been very happy with its capabilities overall.

DM
Systems Analyst at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
Robust, stable, and easy to use

• "We find technical support to be very responsive. They briefly describe everything on phone and we handle the operations. I'd say we've been more than satisfied with their level of service. They're quite helpful and knowledgeable."
  • "We don't really find that any features are lacking."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use the solution for database purposes. We are maintaining the standard edition version and normally not on a very big scale.

What is most valuable?

We are only really utilizing the solution for database purposes and only taking the database for backup purposes, on a daily basis. The database and getting the required data on the database have been very helpful.

It's easy to use, it's robust, and it offers good security that we can count on.

Most importantly, our users are familiar with the interface and the operational capability of this product. That's why we chose to use Oracle.

While we don't interact too much with the database and interact more with our front-end application, we get good reports as it simply runs in the back end.

It's a very comprehensive database, although we are using only the standard version, not the enterprise version. Even the standard version is quite good. It's very reliable.

What needs improvement?

It all depends on the requirements we have. Right now, it's fulfilling our current ERP requirements.

We don't really find that any features are lacking.

We have been using it for the last 10 years.

The solution is very stable. I haven't experienced bugs or glitches. There haven't been crashes. It's quite reliable. An organization shouldn't have to worry about it's stability at all.

It's scalable.

However, in terms of our usage, it's quite limited. We are using only three to four modules of this application. We're a very small scale operation. It's the reason why we are using the standard edition and not the enterprise one.

We only have about 10 to 15 users that are using these applications.

It's not used on a daily basis. It's just occasional use.

It's my understanding that we've always used Oracle. I can't recall if there was something before that was used.

The initial setup is very simple. It's not complex at all. To deploy it only took about one hour. It's quite quick and easy.

It's a very good application. Once we installed it and it started running, we haven't needed to perform regular maintenance on it and we haven't faced any issues. We installed it four or five years ago. It's been a long time and it's been in perfect working order since we launched it. The solution is seamless.

We're just a customer and we have the licensed product. We are continuously updating the license on an annual basis.

It's a standard license, with a worldwide standard licensing cost for Oracle that we are paying. The fees are at about 22%.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product. I'd recommend it. It's very robust. It's scalable. On side of security, it's a very secure product. And support is available from Oracle via their local partners. We are already very satisfied with this product and I would recommend it to other users as well.

I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Vikas Dixit
IT Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Exceptional features with good availability, and reasonably priced

• "All of the features offered by Oracle, more than meet the expectations."
  • "As of now, Oracle is branded to Oracle only, the option of migrating to other databases is not available."

What is our primary use case?

We have 5 Oracle servers having 3 RAC and 2 Stand Alone servers.All using Oracle 12c R2 SE.

1 DR standalone server is also there .

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle was the first choice at the time of creating our application because of our very low load.

Now when our application has become mission-critical, Even with the SE version we are able to deal with a complete load very efficiently and effectively.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the performance and its inbuilt services.

In Oracle we can find out most services are inbuilt. scalability, high availability, split brain handling , Null handling  ,it working of execution plan . All these features have helped us many times .

What needs improvement?

As of Now Oracle has gained an image of Customer binding database.

Once some one opted for Oracle database , it becomes very difficult in many ways to move on other database.

As of now oracle can be considered as Top of the list and many of the database are not enough close to oracle concepts and it's standards so it's kind of responsibility to Oracle to bring a fair competition in market.

In return ,it will help Oracle itself. Take an Example of Football. Consider Oracle a high level Club who have it's own Practice and playing Area but only his own rules are implemented. Any player who is a beginner and cannot afford such a high clubs will start practice in small arenas which have some what similar rules .Once Player's practice gave him confidence to go for a big club ,he will feel comfortable in choosing a club whose rules are known to him , Not someone for whom he has to change his playing technique.

So Oracle should consider working in this direction so that he can keep the control over the wind of Market.

I have been using this solution for two years.

We are currently using Oracle 12c SE Release 2.

In terms of stability, we know that Oracles releases quarterly batches but we have still been faced with many bugs over the last year.

I cannot say that it is stable.

This is an area that needs improvement.

It's a scalable solution.

As known to everyone, One of the best.

This is one of the portion where Oracle have to be little bit loose .I have raised only around 7-8 tickets including 2 P1 , but it always looks like I am talking to a bot with pre recorded  statements when the person is not able to answer. Most of the times information is attached , but they still insist very hardly to send it in there format so that there machine can read it .

Nope , Oracle was used from Starting.

All is easy, given that you must know what are you using it for.

Depending on the services included, it seems little bit expensive.

In starting we didn't evaluate much, but giving the condition of ending support , we do not have any choice so we are looking for other options including upgradation as well.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle is good for large scale environments.

New startups MUST always think of other options before going to Oracle.

Private Cloud