BT
Head of Department at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Good in-memory and Data Redaction features, scales well, and the support is fast

• "The Data Redaction feature is easy to use and we are quite happy with it."
  • "Sometimes, the patches supplied by Oracle to update the software do not work."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Oracle Database is one of the products that we implement for our customers. We also use it ourselves. It is used to store large amounts of data including things such as customer data and shipment data.

We have our own private cloud so it is possible to host Oracle in that way, but we more commonly use an on-premises deployment because the size of the data is huge. In some ways, we have no choice but to host it on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The Data Redaction feature is easy to use and we are quite happy with it.

With Oracle, we are happy with the performance the majority of the time. It is only when we have a very large amount of data that it begins to slow down.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, the patches supplied by Oracle to update the software do not work. Ultimately, we have a lot of issues because of this because we have to use trial and error to solve our performance issues.

We have a lot of performance issues, especially with a huge amount of data being using during a peak time.

In the future, we expect that Oracle will incorporate some NoSQL functionality. Right now, there is a lot of demand for storing JSON data. We would like to perform actions similar to that of Elasticsearch. One of the reasons that we choose Oracle is because they are quite aggressive when it comes to improving their product, and they are always providing new features.

We have been using Oracle Database for a couple of years.

Stability-wise, Informix is better than Oracle. Oracle gives us patches to improve the product, but sometimes the patches do not work and we subsequently have issues. By comparison, Informix does not provide many patches. Instead, remains stable for a few years without needing many changes.

Oracle is quite good in terms of scalability. 90% of our applications run on Oracle, so we have a lot of users.

We have bought quite a large number of licenses, so the support that we get is very good. They are fast, normally responding to us within one hour. This is according to an agreement that we purchased from them.

When we purchase a server, it is another team that installs Oracle. After this, we create the database schema inside of Oracle.

We have two types of people in the company who help us with Oracle. One handles the normal, day-to-day operations, whereas the other is used for deployment, setup, and maintenance.

When we buy a new server, the deployment team completes the installation and initial setup. After installation, they help us to fine-tune the database. When the application is deployed in production, they help us to troubleshoot day-to-day issues that we encounter.

We have a global license and it is renewed every two years. Seeing as a lot of our applications use Oracle, our team has been able to negotiate a better deal.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it. For people who have a huge volume of data and they need good response time, Oracle is a good choice for them.

RV
Consultant at a recruiting/HR firm with 501-1,000 employees
Good database with good processing and very good stability

• "From a database product perspective, I would say, they're good in what they provide. There's not much concern."
  • "If their database encryption features could come in bytes, that would be a major improvement. They should bring the encryption model to their standard databases as well."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for auditing purposes.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of the solution is the capability of running extreme processes for database processing requirements.

What needs improvement?

For our organization, the price is the main factor that needs improvement. They charge you exorbitantly for a license, and, I would say, they are not doing justice to today's industry requirements when it comes to a pricing model. They talk about cloud hybrid on-prem solutions, and they tell you that you have a cloud solution that will benefit your company considerably, however, it's just a lot of cut-throat pricing that they offer.

From the perspective of using the database in a legacy product, some people are usually stuck with it, and they need to continue working on that. That's a new thing they have not been able to change. The licensing model works in a different way altogether. It's not really very friendly for management to take decisions when it comes to executing licensing right for a product like this.

If their database encryption features could come in bytes, that would be a major improvement. They should bring the encryption model to their standard databases as well.

We've been using the solution for about seven years now.

In terms of stability, it's got a little bit more stability than it used to be. It's good. It's been quite stable, however, I believe the stability is limited to a standard model of licensing that we are provided.

Technical support has been very good for us. We have no complaints. We're satisfied with the level of service we've been provided. They are very helpful.

The licensing costs are very high. We feel the solution is price gouging its customers.

The solution has a standard license, which is different from an enterprise license. If you need the encryption feature, you need to go up to enterprise licensing which has a whole lot of other features that you may not even be using. Encryption is a top requirement in the industry, however, you're forced to use the enterprise edition if you need to use anything like this. That said, it is always better to go to a standard edition, which has more limited capabilities but can still fit into your product perspective.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not reselling this product. I'm using this for designing my own product, and I'm giving it as a solution to my customer. If I need to work out pricing for my customer, there may be my own raw materials that come into play.

The raw materials that come into play should be considered in order to make a better pricing model, which in turn can help me get a better solution for my clients. If the base product that you use is so expensive, like this is, it doesn't make sense. I would start looking at other products. That's what I'm doing. I need to better scale my capabilities.

I'd recommend Mongo Database over this product for that reason.

I'd rate the solution overall eight out of ten. It's very good. It's just a bit too expensive for my purposes.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ricardo Tinga
Head of IT Division at Industrial Property Institute
Easy to use, relatively straightforward to implement and very stable

• "I've never faced any stability issues with the product. I don't recall any bugs, glitches, or crashes. I'd say it's fairly stable and shouldn't cause anyone issues in that regard."
  • "It could be slightly more intuitive, but other than that, we really like it as a solution."

What is most valuable?

One of the best aspects of the solution is that it is very easy to use. In my opinion, for how I use it, I find it quite straightforward.

What needs improvement?

Occasionally I do have some technical issues. However, there are very good communities that can help solve problems, so It's not too bad.

For our type of usage, we don't have any particular requirements or needs that the solution doesn't provide. I can't speak to any features that may be lacking in general. Right now, I don't find that it's lacking in any regard.

I've been using Oracle Database for about five years now.

We are working with the software that moves the current update store. We don't have problems with any new features or applications or integration, so I believe it to be very scalable.

Currently, we have about 3 people using the database. There is only one developer and the rest are admins that are simply connected to the database.

We have never faced many issues in terms of having trouble with the solution. For that reason, we haven't really dealt with technical support, so I can't speak to how good or bad they are.

We did previously use a different solution, however it was associated with a company that gave us the software and when they switched to Oracle, we, by default, did as well.

At the beginning, I may have found it a bit tricky, and other new users might too. At this point, after a number of years, I don't think it's too difficult. However, it may be because I'm used to the system. Those coming at it completely new may find it a bit complex.

The initial setup is quite quick. For us, it didn't take more than an hour or so. It was probably less than that.

I don't deal with the accounting, so I can't speak to the pricing of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're not an Oracle partner. We're just a customer.

We're quite comfortable with this solution at the moment. It provides us with everything we need.

I'd highly recommend Oracle Database to other companies and users. We haven't had any issues at all using it aside from a few small technical issues. It's good software. It's very stable and reliable.

Personally, I would rate the solution nine out of ten. It's almost perfect.

SC
Datacenter Operations Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, has a good user interface, and is scalable

• "There's a good online community that can help users troubleshoot issues."
  • "The pricing could be better."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for high transaction services.

What is most valuable?

I primarily use the Oracle Clock feature. For me, it's the most valuable aspect of the product.

The user interface is quite good.

We haven't had any problems with support.

We've found the integration with other solutions to be acceptable.

The stability is great.

We've found the solution to be scalable.

There's a good online community that can help users troubleshoot issues.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be better and more constant at higher-speed transactions. The solution could be more stable and offer more data. In SQL, I find more consistency.

The licenses could be improved. They should examine their structure. The pricing could be better.

The initial setup is complex.

It would be nice to have cloud and on-premises options available. It would be ideal if there could be integration with cloud services.

I've used the solution for a while.

The stability has been pretty good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is good. If you need to scale it up as a company, you can do so. I have not heard of anyone having any problems in that regard.

We have 2,000 to 3,000 users not eh solution typically.

We mostly deal with large businesses.

We haven't had any issues with technical support. However, I haven't really had a chance to interact with them, and therefore can't really speak from personal experience.

There are lots of communities that deal with Oracle. Typically, if you have a question or a problem, you can find an answer online and you don't necessarily need to turn directly to Oracle support.

The initial setup is not very straightforward. The Oracle manual is complex and the steps involved are not so easy to explain. The initial process and configuration can be tricky.

The deployment itself took about half a day or so.

The maintenance is pretty easy. It doesn't take up a lot of time.

Oracle needs to offer better pricing.

Our first option was Oracle, however, we also looked at Postgres SQL.

There are a few key differences, including the license. They also differ in terms of the reliability of services and the specifications. It is a more complicated process. It is a very very complicated process to customize things, for example.

What other advice do I have?

My company is an Oracle partner and reseller for end controls. My company is a management and service provider.

I'm using three versions of the product - Versions 3, 11, and 12.2.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been mostly happy with the product.

MR
General Manager (IT/MIS) at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
A leading database that's stable and easy to set up

• "It's one of the leading databases on the market."
  • "On the ERP side, they do not seem to be improving the on-premises version. They seem to want to push the cloud option on users."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the Oracle E-Business Suite ERP system and the backend of that application is Oracle Database. We are using the customer care and billing application and the backend of that application is also Oracle Database.

What is most valuable?

The customer care and billing capabilities are very good.

It is very stable. We are getting good performance from it. The reliability is excellent.

It's one of the leading databases on the market.

We get good support on the database side.

The cloud setup is very simple.

The solution works well for enterprise-level organizations.

What needs improvement?

We've used the solution for so long, it would be hard to switch off of it.

On the ERP side, they do not seem to be improving the on-premises version. They seem to want to push the cloud option on users. The roadmap for each seems to be diverting, and the on-premises side simply isn't getting the same amount of attention.

The pricing could be high.

In our company, we've been working with the solution here for 15 years.

The solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. We do not find that it crashes or freezes. It's reliable.

The scalability is very good. They are providing the structure, the architecture, and everything you need to scale. It's very easy to scale to whatever size you need. Usually, we can do scalable sites with no issue.

Technical support is okay for the most part. On the database sites, things are okay. However, if we talk about the application sites, sometimes we are getting a response time that is delayed.

The initial setup, for the cloud implementation, is very straightforward. Companies won't have any issues with the deployment.

The solution is very expensive as they are charging their products in different categories. For example, we have to pay on the application side, on the technology side, and on the licensing. On an enterprise level, if we compare with other solutions, there are a lot of open-source options which would be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I'd rate it at a perfect ten if the could and on-premises versions we treated with equal weight, and they didn't try to simply push cloud on users.

On the enterprise level, it's very stable and reliable. It's great if users are looking for enterprise quality. However, there are options available in the Unix and Linux systems as well.

EK
ERP Database Administrator at a non-profit with 201-500 employees
Optimal performance, seamless install, and highly stable

• "I have experienced good performance from the solution."
  • "Since the solution is from Oracle it tends to be complex when trying to integrate with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solutions as a backend, essentially it runs the database. We have the database to support the ERP, which is our customers, and it is running on Java.

How has it helped my organization?

The original Oracle Database is good for us, especially because even if the ERP is running on Java, we still get good performances. We are able to tune the database to get more optimal performance out of it. For example, we are storing information on the database and we have not had anybody complaining about lag or degradation, it is really good for our company.

What is most valuable?

I have experienced good performance from the solution.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, I wish it was easier to run on other cloud services, not just Oracle Cloud. It is possible to run it on other cloud services but it is incredibly difficult to plan and deploy it. However, it is supported by many other cloud services, it is just not easy, but I think maybe that is the direction they are headed.

Additionally, they could make management for security a little more intuitive. It is good so far but it could be easier.

I have been using the solution for four years.

The solution has never crashed. I have never needed to call Oracle to get a support ticket.

We have a really lightweight set up, we have the solution configured for 400 people.

We were using Oracle partner support and they have been very good.

The installation was easy, we had a lot of documentation. We installed the solution on Red Hat Linux and there were sufficient documents informing us on what to expect, hot to install it, and what to set up before you install. The install was seamless.

The deployment did not take long because we installed the solution in our primary location. We did not have to co-locate, the total time was approximately two hours.

The price is a little high for the solution, especially when you try and configure it in certain ways. We are using the application-specific user license, which is a little inexpensive. We pay approximately $4,900 USD annually.

The licensing model is complex, you are charged for many configuration setting used. You could deploy the solution and expect a cheaper rate but you might have deployed the solution with some of the costly features and now have to pay for them.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Oracle Database an eight out of ten.

KH
Data Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great performance, very scalable, very stable, and easy backups

• "I found the ease of backup, partitioning, and robust indexing most valuable. The main feature of Oracle is the structure of the database. The way your backups are taken on the online backup system and the way it restores and handles partitioning of your data are also valuable. Its performance is great, and it is also very flexible."
  • "It should have flexible licensing across different platforms. It has got different licensing models for Intel Power and SPARC servers."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for different applications. We are using it for our data warehousing, ERP, and EBS systems.

What is most valuable?

I found the ease of backup, partitioning, and robust indexing most valuable. The main feature of Oracle is the structure of the database. The way your backups are taken on the online backup system and the way it restores and handles partitioning of your data are also valuable. Its performance is great, and it is also very flexible.

What needs improvement?

It should have flexible licensing across different platforms. It has got different licensing models for Intel Power and SPARC servers.

I have been using this solution for more than 15 years.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. You can start with a small server, and you can scale it up by just increasing your licenses.

In terms of the number of users, for our data warehouse, there is only one application user. Other users interact with the database through the application. After you log onto the application, the application logs in to the database with a single user ID.

Oracle technical support is a bit tricky. They want you to first use all the available resources, such as the online knowledge base and so on. After you have exhausted those, you can approach your technical person by logging in to the system.

We have used other database systems, such as MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server.

Its installation requires someone who actually knows the database setup, such as an Oracle DBA. For a production system, you would need an experienced person.

You first need to set up the environment such as servers, storage, etc. It might take you two days to set up the environment. The installation of the database might take you a day or two depending on the features that you want to add. If it is just a straightforward database, it would normally take a day. If you want to do partitioning and replication, it would take another two or three days.

I handle the installations. Its deployment and maintenance are minimal. You need three people: one specialist in hardware, one specialist in operating systems, and one specialist in database software.

You buy it initially, and then you pay for yearly support if you need support. If you don't need support, you can also use it without the support.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate Oracle Database a nine out of ten.

SR
Web Developer at a government with 10,001+ employees
Stable, simple to set up and is much more organized in the latest version

• "The latest version is a lot more organized than the previous version. We can check out the regular files and our dictionaries and our created files, which are a little better organized right now."
  • "The previous version was a little clunky."

What is our primary use case?

Once we get the installation done, we migrate items to our new DB and we maintain the service with tasks such as clearing the caches and taking the backups, and checking the logs. We look at what it's doing - if something's wrong or if there are any kinds of issues. Occasionally, we do some performance tuning.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup was pretty simple.

The solution is pretty stable.

What needs improvement?

The previous version was a little clunky.

I'm not exactly experienced in troubleshooting. There are issues that I can't really fix. Sometimes I'm helpless with Google also. Trying to learn to identify the exact issue I was getting a Boolean error. I need to improve my knowledge. I'd like to have more documentation or assistance in this area.

The solution could be more user-friendly,

I've been using the solution for five or six years. It's been a while.

It's a wonderful product. Those that have a lot of experience working with the product, those with ten or 15 years of experience, will be able to understand its core processes. Those with only a few year's experience will feel there's a certain lack of transparency.  That said, I haven't had any issues with bugs or glitches, and when it is set up correctly, it doesn't crash or freeze.

The initial setup is not complex or difficult. It's straightforward and pretty easy to set up.

If you are experienced it is an easy task for you, however, it is a process. We have to check every step. If we've done something wrong in any step, then the whole installation process will be for nothing. New errors will come up. We have to document everything and we have to have the requirements clearly laid out. I've learned the hard way that you cannot take shortcuts.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Oracle.

We have our primary DB on Oracle 19C.

We have to manage everything, including the frontend and backend.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. If it was more user-friendly, I would rate it higher.

I would recommend Oracle Database to others. We have some colleagues who are doing some small-scale businesses. For them, it might not be suitable. Not everyone should get into Oracle. It is a standard product, however, you need to understand your exact requirements.