MA
Technical Development Lead at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use with good performance and very good integrations

• "The ease of use has been great."
  • "The product is pricey and expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our applications are actually generating data on Oracle Database. They're connecting finance, HR, et cetera. Everything is on Oracle Database.

What is most valuable?

The stability has been very good. Its performance is excellent.

The ease of use has been great.

It's an excellent product. It's a pioneer.

The integration capabilities are very good.

What needs improvement?

The product is pricey and expensive.

We've been using this product for well over a decade. We've used it for about 14 or 15 years.

The stability of the product is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The product can scale. If a company needs to expand, it can do so.

We have both internal and external users. The amount of users ranges into the thousands.

We do use support. We actually pay for support and we have used them to assist us during implementation. They have been very helpful.

We have a Microsoft SQL Server as well, however, a different team is working on it. I don't deal with it directly.

While I did not actually implement the solution, I don't see where there would be any problem with the solution.

We have a technical team of 20 to 30 people who can handle deployment and maintenance.

We have paid support. When we did an upgrade recently, we got support from Oracle in case there were any issues. They also offer support during installation.

This is quite an expensive product. It's not cheap.

We pay a yearly licensing fee to Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very pleased with the solution over the years.

If a company is considering implementing this solution, I would advise that they first look at their requirements. A company should look to see whether they actually need an Oracle Database or not as it's a costly solution. It may be possible that the unique company requirements may be able to be covered via a cheaper database. However, they won't know for sure until they properly do an evaluation.

SP
Technical Specialist at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Partitioning is most valuable, and it is stable and fairly easy to set up

• "Partitioning is most valuable."
  • "The setup for Enterprise Manager Grid Control can be a bit easier."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for OLTP and data warehouses. We're using versions 10, 11, 12, and 19.

What is most valuable?

Partitioning is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The setup for Enterprise Manager Grid Control can be a bit easier.

The additional options are expensive. If you want to buy a rack, partitioning, diagnostics, or tuning, those options are expensive, but it is difficult to say if it is a negative or not. We've bought the product, and we use it.

I've been using Oracle Database for 30 years.

It is really stable. Its stability is fine, but just don't make any changes. The more changes you make and the more developers you've got, the more unstable it's going to be. So, if you've got a stable environment in terms of development, then it has to be stable.

Scalability depends on how much money you've got. It depends on the quality of your hardware. Scalability is not an Oracle problem.

In terms of the number of users, we have maybe 5,000 people who we can log on to one system and put in expense claims. We don't have plans to increase its usage.

They're normal. We don't make many calls. We have maybe six calls a year with Oracle support, which is not a lot. Our environment is pretty stable. It is really stable, and we haven't had any outages. When it is smooth sailing, it is easy.

I did the setup, and it was fairly easy. I have been doing it over the last 17 years.

I did the setup. For its maintenance, one and a half people are enough.

You buy it when you need it, and then you pay the maintenance. We bought the licenses over 10 years ago. We haven't changed our licenses. We are not buying new licenses, and we are not looking at other devices. So, it is difficult to say whether it is cheap or expensive. There is nothing to compare to.

The additional options, such as a rack, partitioning, diagnostics, or tuning, are expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise making sure that you train properly. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mohamed_Farouk
Information Technology Manager at OrchidaSoft
Easy to set up with lots of features and in general good to work with

• "The initial setup isn't too difficult."
  • "The main issue with Oracle is the maintenance required."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution based on the requirements of a client.

How has it helped my organization?

We primarily use it for a client that has a huge amount of data and has another application that also has lots of data. It's very good at handling jobs that have huge datasets.

What is most valuable?

I'm not a regular user of the solution.

It's a great product overall.

The initial setup isn't too difficult.

The product does have a lot of features. However, I've barely explored them.

What needs improvement?

The main issue with Oracle is the maintenance required. They should work to make it less maintenance-heavy. This is especially true if you are using it on Linux. You need more experience and skills in order to maintain it on Linux in general.

We've had corruption occur if the power gets cut off. We had a bad experience with some cases. However, this might have been due to our own infrastructure issues that have since been dealt with.

We've used the solution for three or four years.

The solution isn't widely used by our company. I'm the only one testing it. The people in our company don't use Oracle at all.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they would be. Whenever I have a problem or issue, I google it and search for answers online.

While I don't have much personal experience, my understanding is that the initial setup isn't too difficult. It's pretty simple and straightforward.

In our organization, we don't use Oracle, aside from in labs. We use Oracle in our labs just for testing and connectivity. We have versions of Oracle in our labs and other SQL devices.

We don't really use the solution too much in the company and therefore don't have a license. We test it for customers. I can't speak to the licensing process or costs.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's mostly been a positive experience, working with the product.

Between Oracle and SQL, I would recommend SQL to other users and companies.

HB
Domain architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up on their engineered systems, but the support needs improvement and they are pricing themselves out of the market

• "It is easy to set up on their engineered systems."
  • "It needs to be more stable, as recently we have experienced some issues."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is as part of our financial systems.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to set up on their engineered systems.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be more stable, as recently we have experienced some issues.

The support should be more customer-friendly.

The pricing should be reduced.

I have been using Oracle Database for a few years.

We are using the latest version.

It used to be stable and scalable, however, we have had recent stability problems on the Exadata platform.

We have the necessary number of people using the application.

We have Oracle support but we are not satisfied with it.

It needs to be responsive, and more customer-friendly.

We use different products for different requirements.

We are switching away from Oracle.

When it comes to storage, we are a large organization with many different databases. We haven't migrated between the databases, however, that is now starting to happen as we are moving off Oracle. We won't remove it completely, but we are moving away from it.

It depends on how it is being deployed. For example, if you have multiple designs and you are deploying it on their engineered systems then it's not complex. But if you are running it on a traditional hardware system then it is slightly complex.

I don't know how long it would take to deploy on the monitoring systems, but on the engineering systems, it would take two to three hours.

We did not use a consultant, vendor, or reseller to deploy this solution. We implemented the database ourselves. The engineering system is always done by Oracle, and we don't have a choice. Oracle always deploys the physical equipment.

We have a team of 12 to maintain this solution.

They are pricing themselves out of the market.

What other advice do I have?

We will continue to use this solution in the future.

I wouldn't recommend Oracle Database to others who are planning to use it.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

VZ
Divisional Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A robust solution with valuable concurrency, consistency, and security features

• "The concurrency, consistency, and security features are the most valuable. It is also a very robust solution."
  • "There are plenty of options and features in this solution, but they are, somehow, not being used very well. Therefore, training and support should be increased and improved for this solution. They can make people aware of how to make proper use of their server so that people can optimize it because its cost is just too much. They can provide training on the policies and procedures to be used for archiving and all such things. There should be some kind of segregation in licensing. With a full license, all options should be available. There should also be a basic license with limited functionalities. This kind of basic license would be useful for us because we don't use most of the functionalities."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our business purposes.

What is most valuable?

The concurrency, consistency, and security features are the most valuable. It is also a very robust solution.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Oracle Database since 1988.

It is absolutely stable.

It is scalable. We have around 2,000 users, and they use it daily on a 24/7 basis.

We don't use Oracle support. There is an administration team, and they get in touch with Oracle. I only get in touch with our administration team.

We are also using Microsoft SQL Server. Oracle Database has more advantages, but Microsoft SQL Server provides value for money.

I don't set it up, but from what I know, it is not very difficult.

We take the help of the agents from whom we buy the support. For its maintenance, we have two people. One person is from our company, and the other person is provided by Oracle.

It is very expensive. We pay in dollars, so the inflation and conversion cost is also there for us. They charge on a yearly basis for the license.

What other advice do I have?

They are coming up with lots of features that will allow a lot of work to be done with respect to the database. They are going to give JSON storage, where JSON objects can be directly stored.

I would rate Oracle Database an eight out of ten.

FH
Product Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good database and storage with a straightforward initial setup

• "Overall, from a technical perspective, the solution is very strong."
  • "The database environment needs to be cheaper. By making it less expensive, Oracle would be more competitive with other database vendors."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used mainly for the database.

What is most valuable?

The database is very good for holding our client's data.

Oracle has a very good RIC (Retail Integration Console). It gives good visibility.

Overall, from a technical perspective, the solution is very strong.

What needs improvement?

The licenses are quite expensive. They should work on making it more affordable for their customers and it needs to be simplified. The database environment needs to be cheaper. By making it less expensive, Oracle would be more competitive with other database vendors.

We don't use the solution ourselves. We're an Oracle partner. We deploy the solution for our customers.

The stability of the solution is okay. I don't recall experiencing bugs or glitches. The solution hasn't crashed on me before. It's quite reliable. Stability is never an issue.

We deployed the Oracle database on the HCI environment. We can expand and scale it easily. It just requires expanding the hardware itself.

Typically, if a customer has a problem with the solution, we will look into the issue. We are the ones that maintain the solution for our clients.

However, technical support is good.

The only downside is that occasionally when we do need to communicate with the technical support team, we need to do so via one of our engineers. There's a bit of a language barrier, so a little translation is often needed.

The initial setup isn't complex. It's quite straightforward. We do, however, have an expert in Oracle on staff, so that may make things easier for us.

Deployment took about one month from beginning to end.

Pricing on the solution is higher. There are less expensive database options on the market.

What other advice do I have?

Our organization is partners with Oracle.

We mostly implement the solution on-premise because our customer is a governmental agency. The protocol is that they cannot store information on the cloud as it is far too sensitive.

I would advise other organizations to try it out. I'd recommend the solution.

I would rate the solution about eight out of ten. I would rate it higher if the licensing costs were not so high.

YL
Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalable with good technical support and excellent stability

• "The solution is very stable with the performance being very reliable."
  • "The security of the solution could be improved. It's an area that isn't as good as it could be."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for Oracle RAC - Real Application Clusters.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable with the performance being very reliable.

We've found that it is very easy to scale the solution.

The installation is very simple and straightforward. The deployment process happens very quickly.

Technical support has always been helpful and knowledgeable.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about ten years or so. It has been approximately a decade. I've used the solution for a long time.

The solution is stable. The performance is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very good.

The solution can scale quite well. A company that needs to expand it, it can do so with relative ease. We haven't found any issues or shortcomings in that respect.

We have about 50 or so people in our organization that are using it at this time.

Although it hasn't been fully decided, we may increase usage in the future.

We have dealt with technical support in the past. They have been helpful and responsive. We're quite satisfied with the level of service we receive. I have no complaints.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not overly complex. It's very easy. A company shouldn't have any issues with the initial setup.

The deployment is very fast. It takes about an hour or so.

We have 10 engineers that are capable of implementing the solution.

I handled the implementation myself. I did not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant.

We do not have to pay for a license in order to be able to use the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We don't have a professional business relationship with Oracle.

I would rate this solution, on a scale from one to ten, at a ten. We are extremely satisfied with its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations and users.

KD
PCI DSS Program Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, reasonably priced, and straightforward to set up

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "The quality of technical support could be better. They could respond faster."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for the core banking system, for cloud disaster recovery, for business continuity planning, and lots of other business cases. We use it for the core banking system and card system for applications.

What is most valuable?

The Oracle BI, Business Intelligence, is its most valuable aspect. Oracle BI has been very helpful for me during my career. To have business analytics and to deal with big data with the multiple organizations I've worked for has been great.

The solution is very stable.

We've found the solution to be scalable.

The initial setup isn't too complicated.

The pricing isn't too bad.

What needs improvement?

Their cloud services should be improved and expanded.

The quality of technical support could be better. They could respond faster.

I've been using the solution for 12 to 15 years at this point. It's been well over a decade. I've used it for quite a while.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is there if you need it. It expands quite well.

Technical support is okay, however, sometimes it takes a while for them to respond It would be nice if they were faster. We aren't 100%v satisfied with the level of service we get from them.

I also use Microsoft.

While it depends on the testing scenarios, depends on the application that we're going to serve, and depends on the hardware you're using, it's not hard. I wouldn't describe the process as complex.

We're fine with the licensing and costs.

What other advice do I have?

We are simply customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Oracle.

I use various versions of the solution, however, every year, they release a new version and I end to install it.

I use multiple deployment models, including on-premises and cloud.

I'd give the solution a perfect ten out of ten rating. It really is a fantastic product. We've been very happy with its capabilities and reliability.