YL
Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalable with good technical support and excellent stability

• "The solution is very stable with the performance being very reliable."
  • "The security of the solution could be improved. It's an area that isn't as good as it could be."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for Oracle RAC - Real Application Clusters.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable with the performance being very reliable.

We've found that it is very easy to scale the solution.

The installation is very simple and straightforward. The deployment process happens very quickly.

Technical support has always been helpful and knowledgeable.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about ten years or so. It has been approximately a decade. I've used the solution for a long time.

The solution is stable. The performance is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very good.

The solution can scale quite well. A company that needs to expand it, it can do so with relative ease. We haven't found any issues or shortcomings in that respect.

We have about 50 or so people in our organization that are using it at this time.

Although it hasn't been fully decided, we may increase usage in the future.

We have dealt with technical support in the past. They have been helpful and responsive. We're quite satisfied with the level of service we receive. I have no complaints.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not overly complex. It's very easy. A company shouldn't have any issues with the initial setup.

The deployment is very fast. It takes about an hour or so.

We have 10 engineers that are capable of implementing the solution.

I handled the implementation myself. I did not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant.

We do not have to pay for a license in order to be able to use the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We don't have a professional business relationship with Oracle.

I would rate this solution, on a scale from one to ten, at a ten. We are extremely satisfied with its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations and users.

KD
PCI DSS Program Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, reasonably priced, and straightforward to set up

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "The quality of technical support could be better. They could respond faster."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for the core banking system, for cloud disaster recovery, for business continuity planning, and lots of other business cases. We use it for the core banking system and card system for applications.

What is most valuable?

The Oracle BI, Business Intelligence, is its most valuable aspect. Oracle BI has been very helpful for me during my career. To have business analytics and to deal with big data with the multiple organizations I've worked for has been great.

The solution is very stable.

We've found the solution to be scalable.

The initial setup isn't too complicated.

The pricing isn't too bad.

What needs improvement?

Their cloud services should be improved and expanded.

The quality of technical support could be better. They could respond faster.

I've been using the solution for 12 to 15 years at this point. It's been well over a decade. I've used it for quite a while.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is there if you need it. It expands quite well.

Technical support is okay, however, sometimes it takes a while for them to respond It would be nice if they were faster. We aren't 100%v satisfied with the level of service we get from them.

I also use Microsoft.

While it depends on the testing scenarios, depends on the application that we're going to serve, and depends on the hardware you're using, it's not hard. I wouldn't describe the process as complex.

We're fine with the licensing and costs.

What other advice do I have?

We are simply customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Oracle.

I use various versions of the solution, however, every year, they release a new version and I end to install it.

I use multiple deployment models, including on-premises and cloud.

I'd give the solution a perfect ten out of ten rating. It really is a fantastic product. We've been very happy with its capabilities and reliability.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Noor Parkar
Sr. System and Storage Administrator at a government with 51-200 employees
Stable, flexible, and very user-friendly

• "You can scale the solution if you need to. Its scalability is good."
  • "The solution is a bit expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for critical financial applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable. The performance is quite good.

The product has been very user-friendly and very easy to use.

The flexibility is very, very good.

You can scale the solution if you need to. Its scalability is good.

What needs improvement?

The product could offer easier ways to configure everything.

The initial setup could be more simple and straightforward.

Technical support could be quicker to respond to queries.

The solution is a bit expensive.

I've been using the solution for about two years or so. It's been a while.

The solution has proven to be very stable. The performance is good. There are no bugs. It's not glitchy. It doesn't crash or freeze on us. It's reliable.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so easily.

We do have plans to continue to use the product in the future.

We have about 100 users on the solution currently.

We've dealt with technical support in the past and found them to be slow to respond. They should work on getting back to clients faster in the future.

The solution's initial setup isn't as straightforward as it could be. It's an aspect that could be adjusted.

If a company has all the prerequisites and all of the deployment considerations on hand, the deployment time is about one hour. It shouldn't take too long.

We have two administrators on our team that are capable of handling any maintenance that may be required.

We handled the implementation ourselves. We didn't require any outside assistance in the form of a consultant or integrator. We handled everything in-house.

We pay for licensing on a yearly basis.

It's a bit expensive. We would like it to be a bit cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. I cannot recall the exact version number at this time.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

AlaaMedhat
Technical Team Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, stable, and offers great technical support

• "Technical support is great."
  • "If you want to scale, it will get even more expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data storage.

What is most valuable?

Oracle is one of the strongest solutions on the market.

The user experience and the tools provided with Oracle are great. For example, there's the SQL developer, and these tools are really easy and user-friendly. You get used to it very fast.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The solution scales well.

We have found the solution to be quite stable.

Technical support is great.

What needs improvement?

The solution has a high cost. Due to this, people are going for open-source instead.

If you want to scale, it will get even more expensive.

I've been using the solution for ten years or so. It's been a decade or so.

The stability of the solution is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability potential depends on the package that a company gets. If you purchase Datadog, it will be easy to extend and have multiple nodes. The more features you purchase, however, the higher the price. Scaling comes at a cost.

Technical support has been very helpful. They respond on time and you don't waste any time waiting for the tickets. You just get the answer directly usually in the same hour or on the same day at a maximum. We are extremely satisfied with them.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's very straightforward.

The cost is very high. All the customers that I know are planning to move to an open-source database for this reason.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user.

We used to use 12C, however, we recently moved to 19C.

I would recommend the solution if the company has a budget and if you have a project that will provide revenue to cover the price for the actual product. If a company is going to start a product that will not give the right revenue at the beginning, I would suggest PostgreSQL.

I would rate the product at an eight out of ten. It loses a  few points mostly due to the high price tag.

Pedro Simoes
Senior System Administrator / CyberSecurity Analist / SQL Server DBA at Glintt
A robust multi-model database management system

• "I like that it's a robust product. It has very good features. One good feature is Oracle REX because, in SQL Server, we don't have that. SQL Server has something similar, but it's not the same stuff."
  • "It's not very user-friendly, and it's a little complex. Another issue that I don't like is the licensing complexity."

What is our primary use case?

We developed some products, and most of them run in Oracle because our company is an Oracle partner. In fact, we're using Oracle and SQL Server, and I have more experience with that (SQL Server). But the main core of the company is more related to Oracle.

How has it helped my organization?

More robust product

What is most valuable?

I like that it's a robust product. It has very good features. One good feature is Oracle RAC because, in SQL Server, we don't have that. SQL Server has something similar (SQL Server AlwaysOn), but it's not the same stuff.

What needs improvement?

It's not very user-friendly, and it's a little complex. Another issue that I don't like is the licensing complexity. It's because of the SQL Server. We have several distinct editions, and I know that if I get the Enterprise Edition, I will have all the products. But with Oracle, I can get the Enterprise Edition, but if I need some kind of encryption, I need to pay more. If I need some kind of replication, I need to pay more, and so on. Every time my team needs some of this stuff, we have to ask Oracle. So, what's the point of the license?

I have been dealing with Oracle Database for more than 20 years.

I think it's a stable product, but we had to add some special patches in the past because of bugs in the product, especially on Oracle REX.

We always have support from Oracle.

The initial setup is more complex than SQL Server. SQL Server is very easy to set up and log in. Oracle is a little more complicated.

Oracle Database is expensive. We also need to buy additional products.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Oracle Database to potential users. But I would tell them that it depends on their main goal. It depends on how they want to use the database. They also have to consider the costs because Oracle is more expensive.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Oracle Database an eight.

Anand Sanghvi
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reliable, secure, good support, and it is easy to set up

• "It's a secure market leader."
  • "The consumption of memory and the client memory has been increased exorbitantly in the most recent past."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to develop applications for our clients.

What is most valuable?

It's a secure market leader.

What needs improvement?

With performance devices, it requires the system to be upgraded to the newer version, which was something that was unlike before.

If the memory consumption can be kept low for the client, at least, then that would be great.

We would like to see smooth reporting for the indexes, which can be easily done. If we want an entire report for each consolidation, we would have to do it manually. If the system could be smarter with artificial intelligence then it would be better.

I have been using Oracle Database for five years.

It's quite stable. We don't experience any downtime.

We are not a full data center environment as of now. We develop for our customers and we have not scaled it.

We have 20 dedicated users in our company and may increase usage in the future.

Technical support is fine.

We have some people who have been working with Oracle for a long time, so we don't usually require much support because the knowledge bases are already established.

The initial setup was fine. It was not a challenge.

Definitely, it's an expensive product.

Because it's dominant in the market for database-related products, the price is a bit expensive compared with others.

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty good solution. It's secure in the market for relational databases. It's been the best storage for several years.

If your purpose is to get into the relational schema then Oracle is the best. If you are interested in structured data then Oracle is the best choice. If you are interested in unstructured data then go with something else.

I would rate Oracle Database and eight out of ten.

Prasad Bagaregari
Enterprise Analytics at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Has good performance dynamics and is stable, scalable, and easy to use

• "Oracle Database has good performance dynamics with respect to oncoming data and fetching of data which gets loaded."
  • "They need to work on non-relational data a bit more. If Oracle Database can support non-relational data streaming, it would be great."

What is our primary use case?

My use case is a lot of banking solutions. Data sometimes is static in nature, but in a majority of the cases, it is dynamic as well. Oracle database is a focalization database.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Database has good performance dynamics with respect to oncoming data and fetching of data which gets loaded. All of the same processes are done by a system database administrator or even user initiated financials.

I've found performance streaming to be a valuable feature.

It is also a stable and scalable solution.

It is easy to install and easy to use as well.

What needs improvement?

They need to work on non-relational data a bit more. If Oracle Database can support non-relational data streaming, it would be great.

Pricing could be improved as well.

I've been using it for more than 10 years.

As for the stability of this solution, it's a hundred percent reliable.

Scalability differs depending on the schema created in Oracle Database to access the database artifacts. For example, in a normal recessional database, which does not have much centralized or decentralized schema, scalability can be very high. However, in cases where there is a centralized schema, the scalability has to be defined by the database administrator.

Our whole engineering team currently uses this solution.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate technical support at 9.5.

The initial setup is very straightforward, and Oracle Database is very easy to use.

The licensing is on a monthly basis. Improvement in pricing would be nice.

What other advice do I have?

When you are into domains such as NIC, BFSI, retail, and account switching, then Oracle Database is definitely your best option. There are some aspects of Oracle Database that need improvement, but it can still be considered a good solution.

All in all, I would rate it at nine on a scale from one to ten.

Hybrid Cloud
WG
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Great performance, very easy to use, and extremely stable

• "The performance of the solution is impeccable."
  • "While working with 20-30 terabytes is okay using this solution, if you have Big Data, data that's much bigger than that, you will run into issues. It's a problem I have right now. They should support much more data."

What is most valuable?

The performance of the solution is impeccable.

The simplicity and ease of use is fantastic. Compared to other databases, it's not a complex tool to manage.

What needs improvement?

Aside from that, the solution isn't lacking any features that I can think of. It's an almost perfect solution, aside from the data issues we face.

I've been using the solution for many years. It's been a long time.

The solution is extremely stable. There are no problems with it there. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or fail. It's completely reliable.

Scalability is a problem for us. We need something that can handle Big Data. By Big Data, I mean more than 30 terabytes of data. Anything under that, and the solution might scale okay, however, for us, scalability is a problem because of the vast amounts of data we need to work with.

Technical support is excellent. They're really great. I have no complaints in regards to the level of support they provide to us. We've been satisfied with their service.

I've looked at Axway Data, and it is a very good solution as well, however, it is a bit expensive and offers little support for very Big Data.

What other advice do I have?

We work closely with many integrator companies, however, we don't have a business relationship with Oracle. I'm a technical architect, so I just make some recommendations, and that's all.

I'd recommend the solution, so long as you aren't working with very very Big Data like we are. I could also recommend Axway, which I believe is also good.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.