PK
Freelance Software Engineer + Director of a company at a outsourcing company with 1-10 employees
Highly reliable, perfectly stable, and scalable

• "It is one of the most reliable database systems."
  • "With the new version, we never came across any important limitations. There was nothing that needed improvement. However, in versions 9 and 10, we sometimes had problems, and big and complicated queries did not get through. In versions 11 and 12, I did not experience any problem. There could be some more information about load balancing and all these things. For me, it was just a part of the infrastructure maintained by other people. So, I cannot really say what they need."

What is our primary use case?

In the last project, we had a big warehouse. It was a logistics company, and we had all company data stored in this. We also had insurance use cases. We had all contracts, customer data, and all kinds of stuff.

What is most valuable?

It is one of the most reliable database systems.

What needs improvement?

With the new version, we never came across any important limitations. There was nothing that needed improvement. However, in versions 9 and 10, we sometimes had problems, and big and complicated queries did not get through. In versions 11 and 12, I did not experience any problem.

I have been using this solution for decades. I worked for a company developing insurance software in the nineties, and we used Db2 and Oracle.

It is perfectly stable.

It is scalable. The number of users differed a lot. There were not that many who used it directly. It was mainly was used by programs written by me. There might be around 100 users who used these programs.

I have not interacted with them recently. I don't know whether our database administration team contacted Oracle. I just know it was usable from our layout or view.

We have used Oracle, SQL Server, and Db2, and all of them were okay for our purposes. In the new project, we will probably use Oracle, but we might also use SQL Server. I'm pretty neutral this way, as long as it works.

I am not the one who does the database administration and installation.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is certainly a valid option.

I would rate Oracle Database a ten out of ten. It is one of the best solutions.

Oracle Database Administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to scale, excellent stability with good performance

• "The most valuable features are stability, its backup and recovery, and its performance."
  • "I am not very satisfied with the support at times. You don't always get the support at the time you want and need it."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use the Oracle Enterprise Edition, and in the first days of 2021, we will be installing Oracle Exadata cloud for our customers.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better.

My experience has been perfect, but there is always room for improvement for everything.

I have been working with this solution for more than 20 years.

When I first started I was a developer, now I work as a database administrator, consultant, and integrator.

This solution is very stable,

Stability is one of its main advantages.

I would rate the stability of this solution an eight out of ten.

In terms of scalability, it's a very powerful tool.

If you are using real application clusters, now after many years, it's very easy to expand your environment.

When you compare it to scaling 10 years ago, it's much easier now to expand the environment.

I would rate the scalability an eight out of ten.

Now after many years it's straightforward.

With the many different environments, it can get complicated at times.

When there are too many operations systems with too many hardware platforms, such as HP-UX, Solaris, UNIX, and Windows.

It's common at times to have some issues, but it's not something that can't be resolved.

It's not cheap, but sometimes, you get what you pay for.

It's expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the budget and the device, I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

If you have the money, then you should invest in this product, because you can't compare it with anything else on the market as far as a database is concerned.

I would rate Oracle Database a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SK
Senior Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable and scalable, recommended for formatted and structured data, and works well for a huge amount of data

• "As compared to SQL Server, Oracle Database performs better when you have a huge amount of data. We didn't face any problems when we had a huge amount of data. There were also no issues with importing/exporting and migrating the data."
  • "We faced some difficulties in the network configuration area. All these things can be fixed with the support of Oracle's networking team. We didn't face any other major problems. Its deployment can be easier. It should be easier to configure for a developer. If a developer is planning a database and trying to configure it, it should be easy for him because many times, we cannot directly get help from DBAs."

What is our primary use case?

Over the past seven years, we have done many projects, and in many of those projects, we have used Oracle as a source. We are using an ETL tool from Informatica, and we have used Oracle as a source for our projects. For our configuration and repository databases, we normally use SQL Server. We are not using Oracle Database for that.

What is most valuable?

As compared to SQL Server, Oracle Database performs better when you have a huge amount of data. We didn't face any problems when we had a huge amount of data. There were also no issues with importing/exporting and migrating the data.

What needs improvement?

We faced some difficulties in the network configuration area. All these things can be fixed with the support of Oracle's networking team. We didn't face any other major problems.

Its deployment can be easier. It should be easier to configure for a developer. If a developer is planning a database and trying to configure it, it should be easy for him because many times, we cannot directly get help from DBAs.

It is stable.

It is scalable. Around 40 to 50 customers are using Oracle Database.

Their technical support is fine.

Until version 11g, I didn't face any problem. You can completely set it up in about two hours. I tried version 12c installation once, and it was slightly different than earlier versions. Oracle Database has worked well from version 8 to version 11. These versions have the same type of things, but I faced some difficulty with version 12c, but that could be because we are not used to it. I need to go through it properly.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others if they are very particular about formatted and structured data.

I would rate Oracle Database a nine out of ten.

Santosh Kurakula
Group DWH and BI Senior Manager at Virgin Mobile Middle East and Africa
Constantly innovating with good performance and reliability

• "The stability has been good so far. It's reliable."
  • "The pricing needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as a relational database, or we can use it for certain kinds of AP integrations.

What is most valuable?

The performance is much better than the Microsoft SQL in some ways. The stability has been good so far. It's reliable.

What needs improvement?

The pricing needs to be improved.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

There are only certain people who use the solution. Not many users have access to much of it. We only have real access to some of the databases. I would say there are only one to five of us who can access Oracle at the moment.

I've never spoken to technical support. Therefore, I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I'm also familiar with Microsoft SQL. However, we do not currently use anything else as a relational database at this time.

While I can still query the database and then access it, I was never involved in deployment or installation.

The pricing could be better. It would be nice if they could offer a one-year subscription package or something similar.

What other advice do I have?

I cannot speak to which version of the solution we're using at this time.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I've been pretty happy with its capabilities overall.

I would recommend the solution to others. If you look at the progress being made in Oracle, they are coming up with and bringing up some new features. It sounds good. They are more into the cloud now, too, and getting into new features and stuff like that there. They're improving constantly.

SM
Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Transactional data storage that can be traced and directed to an FTP server

• "The feature that I worked with and that excited me the most is one that is not available in other databases, and it involves the use of Java Runtime."
  • "The integration with other vendor solutions needs improvement. It is difficult to connect to other hardware."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is in a financial institution to store our transactional data.

What is most valuable?

This product has a number of features. The feature that I worked with and that excited me the most is one that is not available in other databases, and it involves the use of Java Runtime.

There is also a feature that will trace the transaction and direct them to an FTP server. That was excellent. It is provisioned with very little additional cost.

What needs improvement?

The database has a lot and not everything is known to every user. The licensing is a bit complicated.

I am trying to configure the GoldenGate and I find that you have to connect to the classic one in big data, I should use only one instead of two to stream the data to streaming platforms.

I would like to see more focus on the features that are supporting the new technology, rather than just focus on the hardware.

I have been working with Oracle Database for approximately seven years.

This solution is stable and we have not had any issues.

It's a scalable solution.

We have subscribed to the site, where we can ticket the problem. There is a library of issues that have been recorded worldwide. You can search the library resources to find your problem and follow that research to resolve it.

The initial setup was straightforward. The challenge comes with performance tuning, where you need more experience.

What other advice do I have?

I do more than 70% of work on an Oracle database, which is why I would recommend it to others.

MB
Project Lead Performance Engineer & Automation at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Scalable, reliable, but installation could be easier

• "I have been satisfied with the technical support from Oracle."
  • "I have been looking for a virtualization database engine from Oracle. They have third-party vendors that can do it but if Oracle comes with its own virtual engine, it would be helpful. Additionally, the solution could be more user-friendly and improve the Transparent Data Encryption."

What is our primary use case?

I work for an insurance organization and we have been using Oracle Database for our application architecture. We store all the user-level information in the Oracle Database that our company deals in, such as policy information. Before I joined this organization, they were only using the Oracle Database but now we are migrating from Oracle to the SQL Server Database. For any new applications that are getting built or designed, we are trying to use SQL Server instead of Oracle.

What needs improvement?

I have been looking for a virtualization database engine from Oracle. They have third-party vendors that can do it but if Oracle comes with its own virtual engine, it would be helpful. Additionally, the solution could be more user-friendly and improve the Transparent Data Encryption.

I have been using Oracle Database for approximately 10 years.

Oracle Database is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 2,000 users using this solution.

I have been satisfied with the technical support from Oracle.

We use SQL Server.

The installation was not a good experience it took a lot of time.

We have a 10 person technical team which consists of administrators and managers that do the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

We have been paying for an annual enterprise license Oracle Database.

What other advice do I have?

If I had the choice to pick between Orcale Database or SQL Server, I would choose SQL Server.

I rate Oracle Database a seven out of ten.

BH
DBA Dept. Manager at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Flexible, with helpful features such as Application Clusters and Data Guard

• "Oracle Database is very flexible."
  • "The price of the Oracle Database should be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

You can put any application on Oracle, but it is especially used for financial and billing use cases.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Database is very flexible.

Two of the valuable features are the Application Clusters and Data Guard.

What needs improvement?

The price of the Oracle Database should be cheaper.

I have been using Oracle Database for approximately 20 years.

The stability is good, and we plan to continue using it in the future.

This is a scalable product. You can grow, and you can add things to do. We have approximately 10,000 users in our organization.

I use technical support once in a while and I find that they are improving. Over the years, there has been a big improvement in terms of support.

Prior to Oracle, I ran Adabas. Currently, I also use MySQL.

We have done hundreds of installations. Some of them are quick, whereas others take a long time. There is no one answer as to how easy or difficult it is to set up.

We have five database administrations who maintain it.

The pricing is expensive, which is a major issue. We pay a yearly maintenance fee.

What other advice do I have?

The Oracle Database is a monster, with many faces and many parts. It can be used for everything. I cannot see any room for major improvement, other than perhaps the price.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Florent ADODO
IT Assistant at Hotel 2 Fevrier
Offers excellent backup security, is stable and powerful

• "Offers a lot of backup security and is very powerful."
  • "The monitoring system is not very user friendly and could include a graphic interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are a hotel and the use the database for many things. It's connected to an API, and we use that to connect directly to the database.

What is most valuable?

This is a powerful solution. It offers us a lot of backup security and we can make an image and a backup of the database every day. It's also very responsive so that when information is updated, it takes less than five seconds to update everything.

What needs improvement?

I think this solution could be a little more user friendly and they could include a graphic interface for the monitoring of the system. The current monitoring system is not very user friendly.

I've been using this solution for five years.

Stability is solid and powerful.

The scalability is fine, we have about 50 people who have access to the interface - we have a front office team, managers, housekeeping team, finance, sales and others. There are lot of users eligible to connect and update information.

The technical support is very good, they are very responsive.

The initial setup is fine, it took about a day for deployment and some extra time for configuration. We use it for the hotel and that requires creating rooms, codes, things like that. It depends what you need to do. We were able to deploy the solution ourselves but for specific tasks you need support.

We pay an annual license fee to Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product.

I rate this solution a 10 out of 10.