RM
Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees

What is our primary use case?

We use this on-premise and cloud technology for our client databases.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle thinks about the global customer, but the technology is only part of the solution.

What is most valuable?

The database performance. We can optimize the database for authorizing expenditure and other resource-heavy functions.

What needs improvement?

They could improve the storage and network overhead. They could minimize the storage to improve performance further. You have to optimize the resources according to your project.

What is our primary use case?

We use this on-premise and cloud technology for our client databases.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

We have been using the Oracle Database for a few years. I am the Customer Service Manager. Claro Colombia is the first telecommunications company in Colombia and a subsidiary of an American company based in Mexico. It's considered to be the third-largest company in South America outside China.

Oracle Database is stable and reliable.

Oracle Database is scalable and can be used with various sizes of projects.

We have to plan to simplify the setup, as it includes integration. The traditional infrastructure needs to adapt to the new technology, and Oracle introduces extra data into the mix. You have to establish if the project is small, large, or medium. This means the system is designed for the size of the customer or project.

We used integrators and consultants, including internal resources and external consulting. We used our internal install team with external consulting assistance.

I would rate the Oracle Database an eight out of 10 as a solution.

RT
Team Leader at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Robust and accessible with helpful technical support

• "Technical support has been helpful so far."
  • "The installation of the product could be designed to be simpler."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for our accounting system.

What is most valuable?

The solution is the best in the world. It's robust and accessible.

Oracle is the best on the market. They offer an exceptional product.

Technical support has been helpful so far.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be a bit cheaper. There are less expensive options.

The installation of the product could be designed to be simpler.

I've been using the solution for about three years. It's been a while.

Technical support has been great. We've been most satisfied with eh level of support we get. Everyone is helpful and responsive.

I also have experience with the SQL Server, which is less expensive. It's also easier to set up and deploy,

The initial setup isn't exactly straightforward. It's a bit more complex than, for example, an SQL Server, which is much more straightforward and simple to deploy.

We used a specialist when deploying the solution originally.

The solution is more expensive than the SQL server. If a company needs a less expensive option, it shouldn't necessarily choose Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

I use multiple versions of the solution, including 12C and 11G.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution to others. Oracle really is the best, even though the initial setup can be a bit difficult.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AV
Information Systems Computer System Controller at a insurance company with 11-50 employees
A stable multi-model database management system

• "I like that it's stable. What's good is that Oracle manages the infrastructure. We have got better because they update the server by default or whenever it's needed. They try to fix it server by server because of their own support plans."
  • "It could be cheaper and easier to manage. Support could also be better. Performance could be better. Sometimes testing impacts the prediction performance. We have a complex server that serves both prediction and testing. Sometimes testing applies to many other deployments that impact the service provided. It's a problem for our company."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Database in most of our prediction environments. We're working on managing most of our applications for prediction and testing and running it on Oracle.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's stable. What's good is that Oracle manages the infrastructure. We have got better because they update the server by default or whenever it's needed. They try to fix it server by server because of their own support plans.

What needs improvement?

It could be cheaper and easier to manage. Support could also be better. Performance could be better. Sometimes testing impacts the prediction performance. We have a complex server that serves both prediction and testing. Sometimes testing applies to many other deployments that impact the service provided. It's a problem for our company.

We have been using Oracle for more than 20 years and Oracle Database for many years.

It provides stable services, and we don't worry about that.

I think it's scalable because we're now doing an integration, and we have been providing the capacity required for that. We currently have about 2,000 users and plan to increase usage.

Oracle's technical support isn't good enough. Our own professionals manage some issues.

It could be cheaper. We pay for the license on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Oracle Database an eight.

Yasin Bin Wasim
Information Security Engineer at a security firm with 11-50 employees
A stable and scalable solution with good performance, but it is expensive and difficult to install and administer without prior knowledge

• "Its performance is good. It is also stable and scalable."
  • "Its administration side is very difficult. To install Oracle Database, you need to have some prior knowledge. You must learn their commands. I was new to this, so I found some difficulty in it. Its installation should be easier. It is expensive, and it should be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

It is for my personal use. I am using it for implementing data loss prevention (DLP), for which Oracle Database had to be installed first. I didn't use it for any other product.

What is most valuable?

Its performance is good. It is also stable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

Its administration side is very difficult. To install Oracle Database, you need to have some prior knowledge. You must learn their commands. I was new to this, so I found some difficulty in it. Its installation should be easier.

It is expensive, and it should be cheaper.

I have been using this solution for around six months.

It is stable.

It is scalable. I will continue to use it because it is required for implementing DLP.

I haven't used their technical support.

I installed SQL Server.

You need to have prior knowledge to install Oracle Database. The deployment took three to four hours.

I installed it myself.

It is very expensive. Oracle licenses are expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it if it is necessary, but you need to have the budget to purchase it.

I would rate Oracle Database a six out of ten.

Ossama Benaziz
Operations Director at ALTERSIS Performance
Good support, works well for self-service portals and information systems

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and Oracle Database is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We have good knowledge when it comes to Oracle integrations. There are many use cases but it is most often used for specific software development projects, such as portals. We have some enterprise portals, for example, and it is also useful for self-service applications such as payments or other requests. It is often used for information systems.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is a complete product with all of the functionality that you need, and there is no need for any special features.

We have been working with Oracle Database for a couple of years.

What do I think about

What is our primary use case?

It is often used for information systems.

What is most valuable?

We have been working with Oracle Database for a couple of years.

We have approximately 10 customers who are using Oracele.

Technical support is perfect.

The installation is quite straightforward. As long as you follow the proper process, there is no problem with it. Typically, it takes three or four hours to deploy.

For security aspects, our customers prefer an on-premises deployment over a cloud-based one.

We have two database administrators who are responsible for maintenance. One is a senior-level engineer and the other is a junior.

Our customers sometimes complain about the price of the license, as it is very high for them.

Arsen  Ghulyan
Deputy Director of Digital Banking at IDBank
High performance, reliable, and scalable

• "The performance and reliability are the best features of the Oracle Database."
  • "The client-side of Oracle Database could improve. The client graphic user interface works on Java and sometimes it freezes, these should be fixed."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Database for automatic banking systems to store the information about the accounts, the card being used, and all the other customer profile information.

What is most valuable?

The performance and reliability are the best features of the Oracle Database.

What needs improvement?

The client-side of Oracle Database could improve. The client graphic user interface works on Java and sometimes it freezes, these should be fixed.

I have been using Oracle Database for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

Oracle Database is scalable, it is one of the most scalable solutions.

We have approximately 1,000 users using this solution. We plan to increase usage in the future.

The support is very good, they have done some presentations in Armenia and we are working very closely with them.

The installation is easy for a person who knows how to do it and for a person who is not familiar with this kind of tool it is difficult. However, generally, it is okay for me because I have worked with a DBA before.

The solution is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others this is a stable and scalable product, which you need to use in case you have, for example, huge data. If you would like to have more transactions and a secure platform, this is a good choice.

I rate Oracle Database an eight out of ten.

AS
Deputy IT Manager at ICAPP (Americana Group)
Stable and flexible, easy to use with a user-friendly interface

• "The interface is user-friendly."
  • "Oracle is not easy to integrate with other systems, which is something that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily deal with infrastructure and do not manage applications but in the company, we use Oracle for our financial applications.

What is most valuable?

Oracle is a product that is easy to use.

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I began using Oracle approximately 10 years ago.

This is a stable database product and we plan to continue using it.

Oracle Database is scalable. We have approximately 100 users in the organization.

I have not been in contact with Oracle's technical support.

We use SQL in other applications, including Salesforce.

The initial setup is complex.

We had assistance from a third party that we outsourced for the deployment. It was a two-person team of engineers.

Licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Database is a popular product that is used around the world and has a very large market share, compared to SAP.

In summary, this is a product that is really stable and flexible with a user-friendly interface, and I recommend it.

MH
IT Architect at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Reliable, feature-rich, and secure

• "I like the enterprise features as well as the stability."
  • "I believe that the simplicity of installation and configuration for logging in to Microsoft and PostgreSQL could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Database for banking and data warehousing.

What is most valuable?

I like the enterprise features as well as the stability.

What needs improvement?

The pricing model and scalability could both be improved.

The level of global support given could be improved.

I have been working with Oracle Database for 20 years.

Oracle Database is a stable product.

When it comes to scalability, Oracle Database is not at the top, but it is better than some of its competitors.

We have hundreds of users in our organization.

The local support is fine, but the global support is terrible, and not worth the cost.

Previously, we used IBM products.

We are also using Microsoft.

We use PostgreSQL, but it is not currently in production.

The pricing model could be better.

When using this solution, there are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend PostgreSQL for long-term use.

I haven't seen an alternative if they need a reliable and secure solution for a mission-critical quality control system, because Microsoft lacks enterprise features and PostgreSQL isn't well-established in banking.

I would rate Oracle Database an eight out of ten.