Ossama Benaziz
Operations Director at ALTERSIS Performance
Good support, works well for self-service portals and information systems

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and Oracle Database is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We have good knowledge when it comes to Oracle integrations. There are many use cases but it is most often used for specific software development projects, such as portals. We have some enterprise portals, for example, and it is also useful for self-service applications such as payments or other requests. It is often used for information systems.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is a complete product with all of the functionality that you need, and there is no need for any special features.

We have been working with Oracle Database for a couple of years.

What do I think about

What is our primary use case?

It is often used for information systems.

What is most valuable?

We have been working with Oracle Database for a couple of years.

We have approximately 10 customers who are using Oracele.

Technical support is perfect.

The installation is quite straightforward. As long as you follow the proper process, there is no problem with it. Typically, it takes three or four hours to deploy.

For security aspects, our customers prefer an on-premises deployment over a cloud-based one.

We have two database administrators who are responsible for maintenance. One is a senior-level engineer and the other is a junior.

Our customers sometimes complain about the price of the license, as it is very high for them.

Arsen  Ghulyan
Deputy Director of Digital Banking at IDBank
High performance, reliable, and scalable

• "The performance and reliability are the best features of the Oracle Database."
  • "The client-side of Oracle Database could improve. The client graphic user interface works on Java and sometimes it freezes, these should be fixed."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Database for automatic banking systems to store the information about the accounts, the card being used, and all the other customer profile information.

What is most valuable?

The performance and reliability are the best features of the Oracle Database.

What needs improvement?

The client-side of Oracle Database could improve. The client graphic user interface works on Java and sometimes it freezes, these should be fixed.

I have been using Oracle Database for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

Oracle Database is scalable, it is one of the most scalable solutions.

We have approximately 1,000 users using this solution. We plan to increase usage in the future.

The support is very good, they have done some presentations in Armenia and we are working very closely with them.

The installation is easy for a person who knows how to do it and for a person who is not familiar with this kind of tool it is difficult. However, generally, it is okay for me because I have worked with a DBA before.

The solution is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others this is a stable and scalable product, which you need to use in case you have, for example, huge data. If you would like to have more transactions and a secure platform, this is a good choice.

I rate Oracle Database an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VC
Sr. Solution Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
A stable and scalable database solution with a useful query optimization feature

• "I like the query part and the optimization of the query to get the data. I also like its speedy recovery and stability. In the security part, the loss of data is minimal for any crashes that could happen. First of all, it might not occur, or if it happens, the recovery of the data is smoother than others."
  • "It would be better if the administrator part could be simplified. At the moment, we need specialized skills for managing or administering Oracle Database. If that is simplified, my juniors or basic database engineers could use it. Right now, we need specific administrative skills to manage the Oracle Server."

What is our primary use case?

We are using a BI solution and Oracle Transaction Server for transaction data. So, transactional data is being stored in the Oracle Database.

What is most valuable?

I like the query part and the optimization of the query to get the data. I also like its speedy recovery and stability. In the security part, the loss of data is minimal for any crashes that could happen. First of all, it might not occur, but if it happens, the recovery of the data is smoother than others.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if the administrator part could be simplified. At the moment, we need specialized skills for managing or administering Oracle Database. If that is simplified, my juniors or basic database engineers could use it. Right now, we need specific administrative skills to manage the Oracle Server.

I have been dealing with Oracle Database for more than a decade.

Oracle Database is a stable solution.

Oracle Database is definitely scalable. For the project we are working on, the team size is around 500 to 600 engineers. But not everyone is working on Oracle. Even if we go with the 10% or 5% count, you still end up with 20 to 50 people who are dealing with the SQL queries, day in, day out.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this database solution to potential users, but it depends on their specific business needs.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Oracle Database an eight.

AS
Deputy IT Manager at ICAPP (Americana Group)
Stable and flexible, easy to use with a user-friendly interface

• "The interface is user-friendly."
  • "Oracle is not easy to integrate with other systems, which is something that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily deal with infrastructure and do not manage applications but in the company, we use Oracle for our financial applications.

What is most valuable?

Oracle is a product that is easy to use.

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I began using Oracle approximately 10 years ago.

This is a stable database product and we plan to continue using it.

Oracle Database is scalable. We have approximately 100 users in the organization.

I have not been in contact with Oracle's technical support.

We use SQL in other applications, including Salesforce.

The initial setup is complex.

We had assistance from a third party that we outsourced for the deployment. It was a two-person team of engineers.

Licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Database is a popular product that is used around the world and has a very large market share, compared to SAP.

In summary, this is a product that is really stable and flexible with a user-friendly interface, and I recommend it.

MH
IT Architect at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Reliable, feature-rich, and secure

• "I like the enterprise features as well as the stability."
  • "I believe that the simplicity of installation and configuration for logging in to Microsoft and PostgreSQL could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Database for banking and data warehousing.

What is most valuable?

I like the enterprise features as well as the stability.

What needs improvement?

The pricing model and scalability could both be improved.

The level of global support given could be improved.

I have been working with Oracle Database for 20 years.

Oracle Database is a stable product.

When it comes to scalability, Oracle Database is not at the top, but it is better than some of its competitors.

We have hundreds of users in our organization.

The local support is fine, but the global support is terrible, and not worth the cost.

Previously, we used IBM products.

We are also using Microsoft.

We use PostgreSQL, but it is not currently in production.

The pricing model could be better.

When using this solution, there are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend PostgreSQL for long-term use.

I haven't seen an alternative if they need a reliable and secure solution for a mission-critical quality control system, because Microsoft lacks enterprise features and PostgreSQL isn't well-established in banking.

I would rate Oracle Database an eight out of ten.

Kaan Çelik
Data Analytics and Business Intelligence Manager at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Feature rich, stability like a shield and installs fairly easy

• "When we are not able to solve a problem we immediately contacted Oracle support team to help us solve it."
  • "If you just install a database, it's easy but if you install some other programs it can be a little bit longer and difficult to install."

What is most valuable?

I would refer to Oracle's solution like a shield, it is very stable and has many features.

What needs improvement?

They could improve on making changes to their software faster, they are a large company and sometimes changes are slow. Also, Oracle can improve themselves in the cloud for Microsoft Azure systems.

I started using the solution 12 years ago.

When we are not able to solve a problem, we immediately contacted Oracle support team to help us solve it. They normally respond in a timely manner.

The installation can be easy. It depends on what you install. If you just install a database, it's easy but if you install some other programs it can be a little bit longer and difficult to install.

We have a team of approximately 10 technicians working on the deployment. Sometimes the deployment of the product can reach some barriers, not because of a fault of Oracle but sometimes the hardware systems being installed on are older and can cause some problems.

It would be a benefit if there were different pricing levels to help different size businesses. The product is a bit expensive compared to other competitors.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Oracle Database, I love Oracle.

I rate Oracle Database a ten out of ten.

JS
Data Quality Specialist at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Intuitive interface and easy to use, but monitoring processes could improve

What is our primary use case?

Most of the use cases for Oracle Database I was involved in were for data migration. I was performing analysis and writing scripts to support the data migration from one data model to a new data model within the database. I wrote PVT scripts to test to make sure that the actions expected were all completed correctly. Additionally, I did ad hoc analysis in Oracle Health data quality issues and potential issues.

What is most valuable?

The interface of Oracle Database is very workable and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The monitoring of processes that are executing could be better. I find it very difficult to find processes that had been in a suspended state in order to stop them.

I have used Oracle…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The interface of Oracle Database is very workable and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I have used Oracle Database for approximately one year.

The solution is reliable and stable.

We have approximately 10 to 100 users using the solution in my organization.

I work in a medium to large enterprise and there are dedicated teams that do the implementation and maintenance of the solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a good performing database on medium to large data sets. The SQL Developer is a full-function user interface.

I rate Oracle Database a seven out of ten.

SM
Director at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Easy to scale, easy to use, and has good support

• "Oracle Database is easy to use."
  • "I would also like to see more features added and the stability needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as the core database in the banking and insurance systems.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Database is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more security included.

I have been using Oracle Database for five years.

We are using the latest version.

The stability of the Oracle Database needs to be improved.

Oracle Database is a very scalable product.

Technical support is great, but it can be faster.

Our users have used Windows 10.

I have used Oracle Linux for six years.

For someone who has used Oracle, before it's easy.

We have a DBA and our technical team of six who maintain this solution.

The license fee is paid annually.

The fees are another area that can be improved. The pricing should be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Oracle Database a nine out of ten. Because we work in banking and insurance systems, many people use this solution.