Oracle Database OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Database is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Relational Databases. It is most often compared to SAP HANA: Oracle Database vs SAP HANA

What is Oracle Database?

Oracle Database 12c introduces a new multitenant architecture that makes it easy to consolidate many databases quickly and manage them as a cloud service. Oracle Database 12c also includes in-memory data processing capabilities for breakthrough analytical performance. Additional database innovations deliver new levels of efficiency, performance, security, and availability. Oracle Database 12c comes in two editions to fit your business needs and budget: Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition 2.

For more information on Oracle RDBMS, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Database is also known as Oracle 12c, RDBMS.

Oracle Database Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Database Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Oracle Database Customers
Agncia Nacional de guas, Anbima, Aria Systems, Asiana Airlines, Astelit LLC, Australian Finance Group, Banco Occidental de Descuento, Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, BT, Caja de Seguros S.A., Casas GEO S.A.B. de C.V., Comic Relief UK, Corsair Components Inc., CSAM Health AS, CSOB Group, Datacraft Solutions, DenizBank A.S., Department of Treasury and Finance WA, Office of State Revenue, Deutsche B_rse AG, Deutsche Lufthansa AG, Deutsche Messe AG, Digicel Haiti, DPR COSEA, Essar Group, Essatto Software Pty Ltd, Farmšcia e Drogaria Nissei Ltda., Fomento Econ‹mico Mexicano S.A.B. de C.V. (FEMSA), FundaÊo Petrobras de Seguridade Social, Future Group, GFKL Financial Services AG, Grupo Posadas S.A.B. de C.V., Grupo Sinosserra, Guerra S.A. Implementos Rodovišrios, Hanatour International Service, Hays plc, Henan Mobile Co. Ltd, Hochschule Hof, Hong Kong and China Technology (Wuhan) Co. Ltd (Towngas Technology), Industries Corpa_al C.A., Infrastructure Development Finance Company Limited, Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatstica, Instituto Mexicano de la Propiedad Industrial, Kcell, LinkShare Corporation, MercadoLibre Inc., MetLife Inc., Nextgen Distribution, €BB-IKT GmbH, Octagon Research Solutions, Pacific Lutheran University, Paragon Data GmbH, Ping ltd., PJSC Trustbank, Prodaub _ Processamento de Dados de Uberl_ndia, Purdue University, Redknee Inc., Robi Axiata Limited, Shanghai Infoservice Technology Co. Ltd, Shanghai Sihua Technologies Co. Ltd, Sistema de Aguas de la Ciudad de M_xico, Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council, Suddenlink Communications, Suprajit Engineering Limited, Tallink Grupp, Terminales Ro de la Plata S.A., Therap Services LLC, Think Passenger Inc., Trafigura, Transmed S.A.L Lebanon, ValeShop, VelQuest Corporation, Vodafone Group plc, West Virginia Network, WIND Hellas Telecommunications S.A
Oracle Database Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Database pricing:
  • "Our licensing costs are between $40,000 and $50,000 per year. Those are the costs that cover maintenance and licensing."
  • "The pricing is something that Oracle should work on to make the product more affordable, especially to businesses in third-world countries."

Paul Stearns
President at Advance Consulting Enterprise
Gets the job done, doesn't fail, and suitable for massively scalable applications

What is our primary use case?

We use it internally for some small odds and ends. Two of our biggest clients use this solution. One client has more or less a data warehousing application. Another one has more of a transactional and pseudo accounting application. I am currently using 12c, but I have also done some work with version 18. This July, we're going to upgrade most of our main databases from version 12 to version 18, which is fairly current. I believe they have version 20 available at this point.

• "The thing that probably stands out the most about Oracle Database is reliability. I have been working with Oracle Databases for over 25 years, and I have never lost any data due to a machine going down or any events that were not stupid human tricks. I've never lost anybody's data using Oracle. It gets the job done and doesn't fail."
  • "It does what I want it to do. It has got a lot of features. Anytime I need a feature, I am able to find it in Oracle Database. It has never happened that I found a feature in any other database, but I was not able to find it in Oracle."
  • "There is a lot of room for improvement. Ease of use is probably the biggest complaint. They're getting somewhat better, but it is not as easy or intuitive as it could be in terms of maintaining and managing the database."
  • "Their support portal requires a person to become well-trained in how to use it. They are pretty good at handling absolute critical emergencies, but with the exception of absolute critical emergencies, getting problems solved from their support system is difficult and takes a long time."
  • "Probably about 80% of their online documentation is useless. When you go to the Oracle documentation, you have to plow through page after page of stuff to get to anything that looks anything like an example of what it is that you might actually do. There are lots of other people who have filled that gap, and there are also websites where you can easily find the answers to most of your questions."

What other advice do I have?

As a consultant for the last 40 years of my life, the conversation with anyone who wants to use a product would be a lot more in-depth and detailed where I'd be asking, "What is it you want to do? How do you want to do it? Where do you want to go?" It isn't the kind of thing for which I'd say, "Yeah, Oracle's a Swiss army knife, the best thing since sliced bread." It is one of the more robust products from a stability point of view. There is a bit of a learning curve. From a transaction point of view, if you have the right hardware, Oracle is probably as or more scalable than anybody else. If…
Emmanuel Morka
Head, Database Administrators at Ecobank Transnational Incorporated
Very robust, ideal for companies that need mission-critical databases, and extremely mature

What is our primary use case?

We work with a bank and our core banking application sits on Oracle Database. Most of the applications in our ecosystem are all developed on Oracle RDBMS, so Oracle Database. They are all running mostly on Oracle Database. I'd estimate that 75-80% of our applications all run on Oracle Database in our environment.

• "The solution has very robust integrity due to how it is designed and implemented."
  • "The solution can be quite expensive for small and medium-sized enterprises. Not too many companies can actually afford the pricing."

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we're using the 12c version fo the solution and we're migrating over to the 18c version soon. We're mostly using the on-premises versions, however, we're likely to migrate over to the cloud in the future. Having used other products, I can say that hands down Oracle DB is a fantastic product. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CD
Infrastructure Manager at Lactanet
Reliable and robust with good support

What is our primary use case?

We work in agriculture, and where we're located we have two sites in two separate cities in Canada. These are all transactional databases and they have information in them about the dairy industry in our country. We use it for storing data related to dairy cows, dairy farmers, or farmers in general, and we have all the information in the transactional database that holds everything from billing to individual animal data. We probably have about 12 terabytes of data on the Oracle databases.

• "The reliability is the solution's most valuable feature. We've had great success with the solution."
  • "The main thing we find could use improvement is the licensing costs. It is quite expensive relative to other database vendors. Cost always comes up as an issue for us as we consider upgrade paths. It's not as easy as we would like it to be."

What other advice do I have?

We started using version 7 of Oracle, and now, after so many years on the product, we are up to version 12. We have six different main production databases that we use for various things. They're all on-premise. They either run in a Linux environment or IBM AIX Unix environment. And we also use a backup Oracle cloud for backing up some of those databases. The main advice I would give other organizations would be to prepare for the costs. Oracle is kind of more expensive than in most other database software. It's also important to have a good understanding of how Oracle works and the…
AO
Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reliable solution that is transparent to the end users

What is our primary use case?

I am an end-user of the Oracle database. The only use of Oracle is the repository of the data. So from the end-user side, it is transparent. A database is a good database if it does not slow down production or data processing. That the database prevents data from being exposed to any malware or any malicious scripting is a good idea. Oracle has these capabilities.

• "It is a reliable database warehouse solution that is transparent to the end user."
  • "The pricing is the one sticking point for the solution because it is very expensive."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I have for other people considering this solution is that if they have money then they should go for it. We do not experience performance issues or trouble with throughput. It is probably a good idea to do some research for use in documentation which can be searched or located on the Internet. I think every company that is looking into creating value from their software assets, they have to do research or evaluation first on the Internet. They should be sure, before making an investment that the product fits their requirements, probably they will contact a distributor or supplier to…
BR
Oracle DBA at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Reliable with good performance and very good stability

What is our primary use case?

The solution is the main database storage for the application that we have. We offer an online purchasing system to our major customer, which is a government. They deal with their purchasing through the solution.

• "Especially with VMs, the solution can scale well."
  • "The initial setup is a bit complex."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and end-user. I've used various versions of the solution, starting with 10 and moving to 18. We're still a few versions back, and therefore aren't using the latest. The latest is 20 and they are about to release 21. I'd advise those considering implementing the solution to do some preparation beforehand. This will help ensure a successful setup. I would rate the solution nine out of ten. There are some improvements that can be made here and there. However, it's largely stable and works well.
OlegKhaykin
Project Management - Architecture Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, stable, and easily scalable

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for support servicing. The whole IT infrastructure uses Oracle. Oracle is a focal point. It's transactional processing as well as data warehousing.

• "The solution can scale well."
  • "It takes a significant amount of time after submitting an initial SR with Oracle Tech Support before your case reaches a technical expert with whom you can actually work on the issue resolution. Before that, you have to deal with people who are not experts."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and end-user. I would advise organizations considering Oracle to not do on-premises. The best way, nowadays, is just to pay money to Oracle and use Oracle-managed databases from the cloud. They don't require a data center for the hardware. Cloud computing, is what people should do instead. I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. That said, I am aware that it is quite an expensive option for most organizations. Even our company, which is quite sizeable, finds the overhead costs high.
KR
Information Technology Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Flexible and easy to use with good performance

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the storing of data. It can also be used for other purposes. For example, at the bank, and other financial institutions, they are using the database for transacting their information.

• "It's extremely easy to use and the performance is great."
  • "The integration could be improved. If you are integrating with other Oracle products, it is fine, however, if your goal is to integrate with third-party products, Oracle isn't as good."

What other advice do I have?

While we mostly work with on-premises deployments, I've recently also tried the cloud deployment. We work with a variety of versions, including 11G, 12C, and 18C. I recommend Oracle. I always do. They are an excellent company with a very good product. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. Everyone should keep in mind that the way of the future is to move to the cloud. Oracle is working to support this. They're encouraging everyone to move to the cloud.
Arief Gunawan
Product manager at Metrodata Electronics Tbk PT
Great for building disaster recovery systems, very stable, and offers good scalability

• "On-prem, Oracle is the number one database technology."
  • "Oracle needs to improve its cluster technologies. They need to improve in the cluster technology using ARC due to the fact that sometimes people think that they have a redundant server when they are using ARC with the cluster and think that will increase the performance. In reality, if they are using ii with a big workload, sometimes the performance is not increasing, and can sometimes actually impacts it in such a way that there's some degradation in the performance."

What other advice do I have?

We are an Oracle Platinum Partner. I'd first advise any company considering Oracle to learn the benefits first before they talk about the pricing. We like to do an assessment with the customer right away. The first thing we need to know is their pain points and basic requirement and also if they have a common problem in their system. I will judge that against the benefits of Oracle's technology, which is in the database. At the end of the day, if the features can solve your problem, then money comes as a secondary concern. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. There isn't a perfect solution…
See 76 more Oracle Database Reviews