Oracle Database Overview

Oracle Database is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Relational Databases. It is most often compared to SQL Server: Oracle Database vs SQL Server

What is Oracle Database?

Oracle Database 12c introduces a new multitenant architecture that makes it easy to consolidate many databases quickly and manage them as a cloud service. Oracle Database 12c also includes in-memory data processing capabilities for breakthrough analytical performance. Additional database innovations deliver new levels of efficiency, performance, security, and availability. Oracle Database 12c comes in two editions to fit your business needs and budget: Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition 2.

For more information on Oracle RDBMS, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Database is also known as Oracle 12c, RDBMS.

Oracle Database Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Database Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Oracle Database Customers
Agncia Nacional de guas, Anbima, Aria Systems, Asiana Airlines, Astelit LLC, Australian Finance Group, Banco Occidental de Descuento, Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, BT, Caja de Seguros S.A., Casas GEO S.A.B. de C.V., Comic Relief UK, Corsair Components Inc., CSAM Health AS, CSOB Group, Datacraft Solutions, DenizBank A.S., Department of Treasury and Finance WA, Office of State Revenue, Deutsche B_rse AG, Deutsche Lufthansa AG, Deutsche Messe AG, Digicel Haiti, DPR COSEA, Essar Group, Essatto Software Pty Ltd, Farmšcia e Drogaria Nissei Ltda., Fomento Econ‹mico Mexicano S.A.B. de C.V. (FEMSA), FundaÊo Petrobras de Seguridade Social, Future Group, GFKL Financial Services AG, Grupo Posadas S.A.B. de C.V., Grupo Sinosserra, Guerra S.A. Implementos Rodovišrios, Hanatour International Service, Hays plc, Henan Mobile Co. Ltd, Hochschule Hof, Hong Kong and China Technology (Wuhan) Co. Ltd (Towngas Technology), Industries Corpa_al C.A., Infrastructure Development Finance Company Limited, Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatstica, Instituto Mexicano de la Propiedad Industrial, Kcell, LinkShare Corporation, MercadoLibre Inc., MetLife Inc., Nextgen Distribution, €BB-IKT GmbH, Octagon Research Solutions, Pacific Lutheran University, Paragon Data GmbH, Ping ltd., PJSC Trustbank, Prodaub _ Processamento de Dados de Uberl_ndia, Purdue University, Redknee Inc., Robi Axiata Limited, Shanghai Infoservice Technology Co. Ltd, Shanghai Sihua Technologies Co. Ltd, Sistema de Aguas de la Ciudad de M_xico, Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council, Suddenlink Communications, Suprajit Engineering Limited, Tallink Grupp, Terminales Ro de la Plata S.A., Therap Services LLC, Think Passenger Inc., Trafigura, Transmed S.A.L Lebanon, ValeShop, VelQuest Corporation, Vodafone Group plc, West Virginia Network, WIND Hellas Telecommunications S.A
Oracle Database Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Osama Mustafa
Cloud Expert | DevOps | Oracle Consultant at confidential
Apr 17, 2019
The most valuable feature for me is the pluggable database because it provides database consolidation and the solution for utilizing your resource.

What is our primary use case?

I have been working with Oracle products for more than 10 years, and as a consultant, I did a lot of implementations that include different database vendors. To be honest, Oracle Database provides you with different features that don't exist in any database, or you can find relevant features in other vendors, but it will not give the same capability Oracle Database has. Let's take for example RAC or real application cluster that provides HA for Oracle Database, it's considered as one of the best solutions for the database. I have worked on different environments for different big client names… more »
it_user811680
System Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 17, 2019
A good source for relational databases

What is our primary use case?

We use the relational databases for government contracts.

More than five years.

It is a very solid and stable product.

It is scalable. This is probably why it is so expensive!

It is expensive.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,892 professionals have used our research since 2012.
YK
Reviewer342
Lead Database Developer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Oct 7, 2018
Gives us good performance on large amounts of data while AWR helps us find problems

• "I really appreciate the performance of Oracle. When using AWR records you can really see where a problem is. You can get advice about which queries are the heaviest for the database. You also can see advice for indexes. If an index isn't used, then you can just remove it to improve performance. This is a really good feature. Also, the JDBC connection is quite good. Finally, the object types are really good, the types of tables you can use in PL/SQL are also really helpful."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Oracle Database if you have enough money and you need a big, stable system in which performance is important. We are starting to think about other solutions because of money and because of the cloud. Oracle is on the cloud, but we have started thinking about another cloud, which could use PostgreSQL and Microsoft Server. That may be our solution in the future. The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are their ability to handle a huge volume of data, security, and then price. Price is not the first one, but it's an important one. And finally, the cloud could be…
    David Gubly
    DBA Team Leader at Hadassah Hospital
    Jul 1, 2018
    We are more organized and make less mistakes using it, but it is very expensive

What is our primary use case?

We are using the database mainly at the hospital, where I work now. We have been working with Oracle Database to save all the data related to the patients.

• "Using the product, we make less mistakes, are more organized and faster than if we did it any another way."
    • "There are a lot of bugs in the Oracle Database, and it would be better if the bugs would be solved more quickly than they are today."
    • "In general, the support is not good since most of the time the person whom you are given to is not so professional."

What other advice do I have?

Oracle has a very good database, but it is very expensive today, and there are a lot of competitors. Main criteria for selecting a vendor: * Name * Release of new versions * Stability.
    MA
    Maurice Aelion
    Senior DBA & IT Consultant at MA Consulting
    Jun 28, 2018
    Enables us to combine all the sophisticated architectures in the market

What is our primary use case?

We’re using Oracle Database at our customers and for any vast applications, for data warehouses, online transaction processing applications, with packaged applications like Siebel and SAP that work with Oracle. Oracle is the main enterprise database for the finance sector today, in general.

• "Compared to other databases, Oracle Database is very simple to manage in terms of the database itself."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, the most important thing is that they have people who know the business. We have some databases, for example, for which it is very rare to find a person who knows something about them. Knowledge is important. Support of the product is very, important as well. We need to know where to go, who to ask, who will actually help us out with the problems. Of course, bringing new innovations and being out front with what is happening in the advancing of the technology are also important. My advice, especially for big companies today, would be to go to the cloud on-premises when…
      it_user809523
      DBA at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jun 10, 2018
      We have seen an improvement in stability

What is our primary use case?

Storage of data and alerts.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past we used another product. Since the switch to Oracle the stability has improved.

We had some issues with the scalability but we managed to find a solution without overturning everything or having to go back to the basics.

The reason I do not give this product a 10 out of 10 is because of the technical support. This is an area where they need to improve. It takes too long. If you have an issue that is very complicated, not something that you can find a solution for on the internet, that you need an engineer to help with, it takes too long. Very often, I find the solution by…
      it_user809490
      Software Engineer at a media company with 10,001+ employees
      Jun 6, 2018
      Stores a lot of data in a short time

What is our primary use case?

We store our data in a database. We have a lot of data. We load it in our database everyday, then use it for reports.

How has it helped my organization?

This is the main database that we have.

What is most valuable?

Stores a lot of data in a short time.

What needs improvement?

Integration with big data would be helpful since we are planning to load a lot of big data. A lot of features have bugs or choose the wrong way to process data. Sometimes, we struggle with that.

It is very stable.

For our needs, scalability is okay.

We have a DBA who does our support.

What other advice do I

it_user515592
      Operations Engineering Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
      May 1, 2018
      Very secure, Highly scalable and high performance enterprise database

What is our primary use case?

* Security and Scalability * I have used Oracle technologies for last two decades apart from other similar vendors like MS SQL Server, IBM DB2, etc.
      it_user850737
      Head Database Administration at Co-operative Bank of Kenya
      User
      Apr 17, 2018
      High availability using real application clusters

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise systems for financial institutions hosting both core systems and business support systems. This includes both OLTP and data warehouse databases.

• "It is flexible, scalable, and a true Enterprise RDBMS."
      • "High availability using real application clusters."
      • "Auditing could be improved, especially granular auditing. The unified audit trail in 12c is great, however its extraction in a highly busy environment is quite a challenge."
      it_user798342
      Asst. Manager in production at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
      Feb 25, 2018
      Cloud installations using Oracle are not supported by SAP.​​ It gives DB consistency, supports DR, and handles large DB sizes.

What is our primary use case?

Oracle RDBMS is being used for our SAP ERP, analytics, SAP SRM, SAP SCM , SAP BOBJ, and SAP Solman.

How has it helped my organization?

It is reliable and well accepted.

What is most valuable?

It gives DB consistency, supports disaster recovery (DR), is tunable, and handles large DB sizes.

What needs improvement?

The compression does not give much value-add or provide performance benefits as was highlighted.

More than five years.

Cloud installations using Oracle are not supported by SAP.

The license cost needs to be optimized. The licensing cost is very high compared to other RDBMS.
      it_user457482
      Team Leader at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
      Feb 4, 2018
      It provides Exadata, the engineered system where you can achieve maximum performance

• "You can install Oracle Database software, patching, and create/configure Oracle databases in silent using scripts"
      • "Performance is the best key value. Oracle provides Exadata, the engineered system designed for Oracle Database, where you can achieve maximum performance."
      • "​Upgrade is the most critical phase for the lifecycle of a database. In order to be sure that the migration succeeds, you need to be up-to-date. Therefore, regularly install the patchset and security updates."
      • "Be informed of the known issues using My Oracle Support.​"
      it_user219420
      Technical Project Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jan 18, 2018

What is our primary use case?

Most recent involvement was the migration of a large database from a non-relational legacy database requiring redundancy with aggressive recovery time objectives (RTO) and recovery point objectives (RPO) for the disaster recovery (DR) environment. We also had a requirement to have the migration completed and the data validated within a single long weekend. Significant assistance in tuning both the migration process and the production database was provided by Oracle Consulting Services, which provided excellent and very professional advice.

• "Significant assistance in tuning both the migration process and the production database was provided by Oracle Consulting Services, which provided excellent and very professional advice."
      • "It provided better insight and diagnostics when data problems were encountered by the application."
      • "RAC clustering allowed us to improve performance and provided additional redundancy."
      • "Initial setup was complex because of the odd way the application used the database, the application vendor's conversion tools, and our stringent requirements."

What other advice do I have?

Do a couple dry runs do thorough testing to ensure that everything will work as expected.
      it_user521772
      Vice President, Global Technology at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Nov 25, 2017
      Performance is the key point for us, keeps us within SLA and increases customer satisfaction

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria for us when selecting a vendor are the support model and their willingness to work with us. I would definitely encourage checking out this solution. Work with Oracle and you'll find out whether you can use it. They're pretty good at coming to your site and giving demos and all that kind of stuff.
      it_user522141
      DBA Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Nov 22, 2017
      Streamlines data retrieval and incorporates many security features

What other advice do I have?

Even though it is really expensive compared to other databases, like SQL and other non-SQL databases out there, Oracle has been like a monopoly. They are very high, premium. Still, consumers want to use it because it meets customers' needs. It's pretty simple to use. You pretty much find all the technical stuff online even if you are a newbie, for you to get up to speed. It just takes your willingness to learn and understand it.
      it_user522138
      DBA
      Nov 22, 2017
      Row Locking and the reliability are what make it valuable for us

What other advice do I have?

Go through the concepts. Once when you get the concepts, then you can easily figure it out. Everything is available, but you have to know what you are doing with the database otherwise you can screw up very badly.
      it_user522093
      DBA at CSG
      Nov 22, 2017
      Containers and pluggable databases give us more control of resource levels and planning

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to check the application side, what applications they are going to attach to Oracle Database. Make sure the applications are fully compatible with the Oracle Database.
      it_user522036
      System Admin
      Delivers High Availability and reliable database functionality

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to choosing to work with a vendor we look for the value proposition. Price to performance, the ratio, that is the biggest thing to look at. Oracle Database is value for money. Choose the vendor, horses for the courses. Choose the right vendor and just move forward.
      it_user521715
      Database Admin
      Nov 20, 2017
      I find it easy to use and it's scalable, it will meet our company's needs

What is most valuable?

Ease of the database.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of anything to improve the database features.

More than 12 years.

Stable, absolutely.

It's scalable, it will meet the needs of our company, moving forward.

I had some issues that were resolved by the Oracle support team. There was an issue that I reported myself and the response time was adequate, within expectations. Eighty percent positive.

I don't know. From the time I was employed here it was already installed and working and up…
      it_user521766
      Program Manager (Software Asset Management) at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Nov 19, 2017
      Mature product means there are many who have the skills to use it

What is most valuable?

It's a leading relational database brand; that makes it valuable There's a good amount of knowledge on the market Availability of skills It's quite a mature product Very advanced now Market leader.

What needs improvement?

It is already a market leader. The latest comparison to products like SAP HANA, and in-memory computing, and container computing, container-based database structures; these are the areas where I think there is good competition.

I've been using it about 20, 25 years.

It's a very stable solution. You have to configure it to your requirements. It's one of the leading databases. You can have a mission-critical database system to make it available…
      it_user158715
      Sr Oracle Database Administrator at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Oct 5, 2017
      Oracle 12c, A Cloud Ready Database
      Oracle released the latest version of its flagship database product last year. The release was a big one because Oracle changed the fundamental architecture of the database. This was done to provide flexibility to manage and provision a database in the Cloud environment. In 12c, Oracle introduced the much touted Multitenancy feature consisting of the Container and Pluggable database concept. Even though five hundred other new features were released along with it, every discussion of 12c will revolve around the new Multitenant Databases Architecture. One of the requirements when developing the Multitenant Database was that it should allow organizations to consolidate multiple databases into a single database instance, with ease. This allows for efficient sharing of Operating System…
      Adnan Nasir
      Senior Hyperion Systems Architect at Loudoun County Govt.
      Aug 24, 2017
      The advantage of using Oracle's RDMS solution is that it is integrated with Oracle's other products, including our ERP and EPM solutions.

What other advice do I have?

You should consider whether you're going to go physical or virtual, Windows or Linux, etc. You should do your due diligence and know what you want. We decided to put Essbase and Database on Linux. We put everything else on Windows, the reason being that our databases needed more resources and liability. Linux provides more security for databases, and it's a more robust setup for a Linux admin. So be sure to consider this before jumping into an implementation of the Oracle RDBMS solution.
      it_user516438
      System Architect
      Jul 31, 2017
      Some of the valuable features are flash back, RMAN, and Oracle secure backup.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features are flash back, RMAN, and Oracle secure backup.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced our backup time.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see Oracle support fix issues faster after we log a complaint.

I did not encounter any issues with deployment.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Customer service is very good Technical Support: Technical support is not very good.

Which solution did I use previously and

it_user522111
      ERP Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jul 30, 2017
      Some of the valuable features are Oracle Wallet and Data Guard. We are also using the GRANT feature for high scalability.

What other advice do I have?

I think they'd need a little bit of training, but once they know the ins and outs, it is more robust. As long they have the training, and understand the basic architecture, and then it is easy to use.
      it_user521847
      Territory Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jul 30, 2017
      The most valuable features are security and stability.

What other advice do I have?

The product sells itself. It's a good product. We had it since version 8. We're currently on Version 12C, release 1, and the product is not bad. It's a good product. It's the support that we have some questions about.
      it_user515451
      Vice President of Global IT at a logistics company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Jul 25, 2017
      It has given us the ability to scale.​ I would like to see lower costs.

What is most valuable?

It has given us the ability to scale.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see lower costs. It has expensive annual maintenance.

We have been using this solution for three years.

There were no issues during deployment, but there was some occasional locking.

It has excellent scalability.

Customer Service: Customer service is very good. Technical Support: Technical support is very good. They are responsive and meet our SLAs.

We did not have a solution prior to this one.

What about the

it_user436032
      ERP Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jun 25, 2017
      All our financial data, as well as sales, revenue and all other data is there, and it's easily accessed.

What other advice do I have?

There's no other database that supports us like Oracle. My recommendation is, if you are starting a new system for example, I recommend a backend database because it's a universal support. Any applications you can use in the Oracle Database. For example, if you go for iSeries, it supports only db2. Oracle is not like that. It supports SAP, it supports JDE, it supports any. So, it's a universal database.
      it_user521568
      Principal Software Architect at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
      Jun 19, 2017
      It provides accessibility and speed for retrieving data.

What other advice do I have?

It's well worth the investment. It might scare you up front because, yes, there are other, less-expensive options out there for your database, but if you plan on building an enterprise application, it's what you have to do. Spend the money. I love it; it's the best.
      it_user521886
      Programmer Analyst Team Lead at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
      Jun 19, 2017
      ​The high availability and the performance are the most valuable features.​

What other advice do I have?

I definitely encourage checking out this solution. Work with Oracle; they're pretty good at coming to your site, giving demos and so on. The top-most important criteria when I’m choosing a vendor such as Oracle is the support model and the willingness to work with us.
      it_user522033
      Oracle Exadata /Oracle 12c Multi-Tenant/Oracle Golden Gate Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 13, 2017
      With multi-tenancy, you can set up background processes and memory at the container level.

What other advice do I have?

When you upgrade from 11g to 12c, consider your execution plans. Before upgrading, check it out in the QA and development environments. The third thing is, when you go about upgrading from 11g to 12c, plan how many databases you are going to make as pluggable, and how much memory it requires, and what flat file from exactly you are moving to upgrade. These are the three things you have to keep it mind when it comes to upgrading from 11g to 12c. Although it is smooth coming into production, you have to be careful. Until now, it has been very smooth. We didn't raise any issues, but we have…
      Altin Karaulli
      Founder at a tech company with 51-200 employees
      Mar 26, 2017
      It's stability means we spend less manpower on buggy maintenance.
      it_user521931
      IT Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jan 11, 2017
      The asset properties feature is the most valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

You should use it. I would recommend it. I would also recommend to do some certification programs so as to get the best out of this product and get a detailed exposure of the core issues.
      it_user521736
      Master Software Designer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
      Jan 11, 2017
      It's scalable and easy to figure out. Basic database knowledge should be sufficient.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution based on the track record, performance, and the support. It's really easy to figure out. I wouldn't think anybody needs any training on it. The basic knowledge of any database should be sufficient.
      it_user449478
      Technical Trainer at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
      Jan 9, 2017
      Container Databases help reduce server sprawl and improve resource management.
      it_user480213
      Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      Dec 17, 2016
      Performance, Durability, Security.

What other advice do I have?

For colleagues who are in the financial business and are looking into what kind of product they want to use for their databases - I would recommend using the Oracle Database because in terms of the security and in terms of the audit process it's top notch. When it comes to audits, as long as we say we are using Oracle Database, then they give us a certain assurance. They're confident about it.
      it_user522009
      Database Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 16, 2016
      A combination of stability, scalability and transportability.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the products I have experience with. I don't just say yes or no, or give just one or two options; I give you a bit more. I recommend the product I have, Oracle RDBMS Suite. I think they're still trustworthy, if not more. When I select working with a vendor like Oracle, I look for the sum of their accomplishments. I don't really go for companies because they have been in business for 50 years. I also look for agility; what they bring; transparency; the offering, of course; what they're bringing in and the ideas behind it. Is it going to be sustainable for five years or more…
      it_user436146
      President at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
      Nov 24, 2016
      It has been around forever, so the scalability is the most valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of scalability, make sure it's going to be what you need. Know exactly what purpose you're going to be using your database for. I'm one of the few people who knows a lot of different kinds of databases and which is best for what you want to do.
      it_user521868
      Oracle DBA at Roketsan Missiles Inc.
      Nov 23, 2016
      It has had a multiple-concurrent-user control system from the very beginning.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle is the most ACID-compliant database, and it is the most professional proficient OLTP database in the world today. Look at the prices for additional add-ons. For example, partitioning costs in Oracle are a little high and partitioning is a very powerful tool of Oracle Database. Be aware of that partitioning option. Look at the disaster solutions, for example, because that involves a data dump. Look at whether it is SQL compliant or not. Determine whether you really need an OLTP database. Oracle Database is an OLTP, ACID-compliant database, and maybe you do not need that; maybe you need…
      it_user521862
      Oracle DBA at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Nov 9, 2016
      We're operating an Oracle RAC system, so we can scale when required.

What other advice do I have?

It's very professional and there are good structures implemented there. When you are willing to pay, you can get everything. Basically, what you pay for with Oracle is the maturity of the product, and that is something you can rely on. Know how Oracle works. They say it's always been like that: you first sell, then you fulfill. You have to know that and that it's okay. You have to know that the new features will not work immediately. When we're looking at a vendor like Oracle, we look at two areas. One is the technical part and the other is that it's a huge company. When we have problems…
      it_user437655
      Senior Principal Engineer/Architect, Oracle ACE Director at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
      Nov 8, 2016
      Implementing a tiered storage strategy with Heat Map and Automatic Data Optimization features

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it, eight to nine. Because, one of the areas for improvement, for me to write a PL/SQL procedure, that can be implemented for the product. They already have this for compression. Why didn't they implement in the data movement? The writing procedure was not easy to write, yes. I would like to have that, yeah.
      it_user521754
      Sr. Database Consultant at IGT
      Nov 3, 2016
      It provides reliability, in terms of handling large volumes of data.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of data security and reliability, if that is of paramount importance, I would definitely suggest Oracle. If cost becomes a factor, in terms of the licensing models I’ve mentioned, then probably I would recommend a cheaper solution - maybe even open source - but that comes with a tradeoff of the data not being reliable. For financial institutions, financial organizations, you would not want to put your data at risk. I think it's tradeoff with those aspects when making your choice. The most important criteria when I’m looking at a vendor such as Oracle are the support and licensing. I…
      it_user521907
      Senior Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
      Nov 3, 2016
      Our customers are interested in the high availability features.

What other advice do I have?

I think when it comes to the product, the mindset is switching. Oracle is like a legacy RDBMS. People are switching to open systems. We have all of the new SQL databases, with no license costs. Especially if you also look at cloud solutions, that's where I think you need to have NoSQL or the latest technologies. That’s where they need to focus. I'm not an end user of Oracle. We don't run any products on it. We have thousands of customers, and they come to us for disaster recovery. That's our business. We use all of the database solutions. In a previous life, I was an Oracle DBA, and I know…
      it_user521667
      Software Developer at a security firm with 501-1,000 employees
      Nov 3, 2016
      The small things that it does compared to the free alternatives are valuable. Its optimization could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Take cost into consideration and pick whichever really suits your needs. Every single database has its strong and weak points. I wouldn't say it's an end-all, be-all solution, but it just happens to work for us.
      it_user521589
      DBA at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Nov 3, 2016
      PCI compliance, high availability, and high performance are the features I most appreciate.

What other advice do I have?

You should buy this solution. That's what I'm saying, in my company, a very big company. Every time someone asks, that’s what I say, because I'm involved with Oracle a lot. That's normal.
      it_user521571
      IT Manager / Chapter Lead for DEV Content BE at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Nov 3, 2016
      It works well in Solaris in a UNIX system.

What other advice do I have?

It all depends. If you want something out of the box that will work, then Oracle is a good solution. If you want to pack it with a bit more and actually do some customization and all these kind of things, then I think that MySQL is much better; MariaDB as well; also, PostgreSQL. If you're actually looking for a relational database, then that would be that. If you're more interested in NoSQL databases, document storage, then I would recommend MongoDB, Cassandra, and those kinds of things. Again, it really depends from what's your use case.
      it_user521796
      Associate Director at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
      Oct 30, 2016
      Some features enable cloud technology. Technical support gets a high rating.

What other advice do I have?

When I select working with a vendor such as Oracle, they have to be reliable, with a good reputation. They have to have a good support organization. They have to be cheap, fast and scalable.
      it_user522024
      Programmer at Royal Oman Police
      Oct 20, 2016
      The search and security features are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Determine how the Oracle database will be used in your organization. For example, if you want to build a new system, and you want your system to connect with another system, to another organization, you must use Oracle, because the other organization uses Oracle, and it is easy to communicate with it.
      it_user75741
      IT Admin at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Aug 31, 2016
      The data miner automates creating and testing several models. The warehouse builder offers the best data modeling implementation tools for multi-dimensional schema.

What other advice do I have?

Make your best estimate regarding project size and data volume. Fully understand all of the products available.
      it_user473751
      Manager Database Administration at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Aug 31, 2016
      The Active Data Guard feature provides the comfort of routing reporting requirements to a standby site while at the same time redoing the application.

What other advice do I have?

Just go for it and explore its features. You will find a pretty easy way to manage your routine tasks.
      it_user489099
      DB Admin with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Aug 28, 2016
      Multitenant Architecture reduces operating cost and it could lead to license cost savings depending on the aggregation of DBs.

What other advice do I have?

The current optimal use case is test and development environment. If you would like to use MTA in advance, you can check it out on Oracle Cloud (PaaS). Because Oracle Cloud can be used as a prepaid system, you can try a variety of optional features without caring about the license costs. Oracle Database is the industry standard product for a long time. This has been achieved precisely they provide what the customers really want in every new version.
      it_user436152
      Chief, Application Management Branch at a government with 501-1,000 employees
      Aug 28, 2016
      We appreciate the fact that Oracle Database is the industry standard for RDBMS solutions.

What other advice do I have?

There's always room for improvement, but we're happy overall.
      it_user426513
      Consultant at a recruiting/HR firm with 501-1,000 employees
      Aug 28, 2016
      11g: Vertical scaling is the most valuable feature for us. What needs to improve is the real-time query response.

Valuable Features

Vertical scaling is the most valuable feature for us in our use of it with version 11g.

Improvements to My Organization

For the company, the greatest improvement came with the integration and higher availability of data. We need to track our customers' needs, and the data with Big Data Solutions is now stored and used to get end user reports via QlikView.

Room for Improvement

What needs to improve is the real-time query response. We will be changing the Database over to SSD soon, which will improve those response times.

Use of Solution

We are using an IBM AIX POWER machine with Oracle 11g. We want to upgrade Oracle Database to 12c.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We have had no issues with the stability. …
      it_user486519
      Computer Specialist at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
      Jul 28, 2016
      The Autolink login is an important feature in the environment that we are in now.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you know what pieces you need, since Oracle has a lot of components and add-ons that you can buy. Also, make sure you know what you are going to do with the product before you buy it, and research the marketplace to see if it is the best product for your needs. While there are many options, Oracle is recognized as one of the leaders in the marketplace. You just have to see if it is worth the money for what you want to do with it. I would rate it an eight out of ten.
      it_user486513
      General Manager at Grupo luthe
      Jul 28, 2016
      The most valuable feature is security.
      it_user486543
      Systems Engineer, Crew Escape & Life Support F35 Lightning Ii at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
      Jul 28, 2016
      It has been stable. We don’t have much downtime.

Improvements to My Organization

It helps us to manage and run the company.

Room for Improvement

As a developer, I use the reporting side. We need a better reporting tool with some kind of data warehouse capability. We are happy with the product, though, and are just looking for new features. Most of the time we end up using any additional features they provide.

Use of Solution

We have used the product for twelve years.

It has been stable for all of our twelve years of use. We don’t have much downtime. The product is really good.

It meets our scalability requirements right now.

We are quite happy with the support we get.

We haven’t experienced any problems regarding product…
      it_user486582
      Senior ERP Developer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jul 28, 2016
      We have our students, HR, payroll and financial all in one database.

Valuable Features

You can do just about anything with Oracle Database.

Improvements to My Organization

We use it for everything. We have our students, HR, payroll and financial all in one database.

Room for Improvement

We use a third party software called illusion banner on top of the customization that we have, so we wait for their improvements or do customization ourselves.

Use of Solution

I have been using the product for 14 years. I started with Oracle 7.

I have never had an issue with stability.

It needs to be scaled based on how you're using the app.

I have reported few bugs. They do good job, and there are often solutions available on the Internet.

We have downtime…
      it_user486525
      Sr. Oracle Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Jul 27, 2016
      Helps you store and root through data as fast as possible.

What other advice do I have?

Do as much as you can in the database. It is the fastest product you can have, when working with data. The product is an eight out of ten.
      it_user486549
      President & Founder at OraPub, Inc.
      Jul 27, 2016
      The most valuable feature is the high concurrency in terms of transactions.

What other advice do I have?

You need to get a good overall understanding before you drill down. There is too much to learn, so get a basic fundamental understanding and then let the problems guide you in learning more.
      SY
      DBA0225
      DBA at a university
      Jul 17, 2016
      ​Usability is the biggest value.

What other advice do I have?

For people who are thinking about introducing Oracle Databases - they need to have knowledge beforehand about how to operate the databases in terms of security, and how to respond to the failures.
      it_user480726
      Analyst at a tech services company
      Jul 17, 2016
      The reference information which is available is helpful if I encounter problems.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle is the number one product I recommend as long as the customer has sufficient budget.
      it_user480216
      Developer at a tech services company
      Jul 15, 2016
      The Japanese documentation is quite important for us.
      it_user480219
      Information Control at a government
      Jul 15, 2016
      The important feature for us is that there's no need to index the data.
      it_user291060
      Database Expert at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
      Jun 14, 2016
      It has high availability, is reliable, and is manageable with several views and packages to monitor and troubleshoot issues and bottlenecks.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle RDBMS has a lot of features and is extremely stable, but all this come with a price, and in this case a big one. So, I would advise you to use Oracle RDBMS mainly for medium and large enterprises. For small enterprises, I advise using other RDBMs, like SQLServer or PostgreSQL.
      it_user27945
      Manager, Database and Security at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 31, 2016
      It's pretty straightforward, it's easy to manage, and there's pretty good support for it.

What other advice do I have?

You have to have a good plan of what you want to do, what your business is going to need. Are you going to need a Cadillac RDBS software system -- Oracle? Can you do it with one that isn't a standard versus Oracle Enterprise Edition? Stuff like that. Be sure that you know what your requirements are. Be able to look into the future and see what they are going to be in three, four, or five years hence.
      it_user436173
      Senior Oracle Database Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      May 31, 2016
      Oracle is our product of choice because of its stability, scalability, reliability, and flexibility.

What other advice do I have?

For installing the database or looking at the database, I would say look at the components that you need within the database. What we generally find is that most of the features that we want, or most of the features that are available in Enterprise Edition, we actually wouldn't use, so take time and you might actually see them only by using Standard Edition.
      it_user436206
      Oracle Applications DBA/UNIX SA at a agriculture with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 31, 2016
      The amount and complexity of data it can handle is really great, especially in agribusiness.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very powerful, stable tool. You do have to follow the instructions closely during setup and you have to be willing to pay a premium for a superior product.
      it_user450624
      Manager of Oracle Technology/DevOpsManager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 31, 2016
      You can tune it and customize it the way that you need it. I find that it is stable.

What other advice do I have?

If you are using E-Business Suite, you don't have any other option to explore another database. Depending on the nature of business, if you don't need an RDBMS, go with an open source database which would be much easier to manage and, particularly, to grow vertically instead of just horizontally.
      it_user431388
      DBA and Database Performance Evangelist at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 31, 2016
      I'm excited about the sharding feature that they're implementing. It seems like it's going to help companies that have data all over the world to make it more efficient and perform better.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: I would say it's the leading [solution], a ten, of all the vendors that are out there and security, stability, scalability, all of that. I'm excited about the sharding feature that they're implementing and it seems like it's going to help huge companies that have data all over the world to make it more efficient, more perform better.
      it_user284961
      Senior Product Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
      May 31, 2016
      One of the new features I've been using lately is the In-Memory column store.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: I would give it a nine. The only reason I don't give it a ten is because they do keep inventing and adding more stuff. The stuff that they told me yesterday and today that'll be available in the next release, let's say next year, not only is it stuff I wanted, it's stuff I didn't even dream of. I'll be excited. If I had those features today it'd be a ten, but they're on top of it.
      it_user436440
      Oracle Specialist at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
      May 31, 2016
      It's a database that's easy to recover if you need ways to restore and recover.

What other advice do I have?

I think security is a concern in the database, so you need to take care before granting some privileges to a DBA and it can become very easy to break. I would say to be very careful before granting permissions or configuring the database.
      it_user420015
      President at Oraclewizard.com Inc
      May 30, 2016
      The enhancements to the PL/SQL language provide a way to secure data from SQL injection flaws.

What other advice do I have?

I would give it a 9 because when we first started doing it, we found just little irritating niggles. I wish they had implemented it a little bit different, but overall a 9. Absolutely do it because if you value your data, you want to be able to secure your data from SQL injection flaws.
      it_user420792
      Senior Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      MSP
      May 30, 2016
      I consider one of the top features to be the concurrency and consistency model that allows many simultaneous users with little or no locking.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle database can do many things that you may think it is necessary to supplement with other products. Look into how you may use all of the features to get value-for-money - then it might turn out in the long run to be cheaper than having to integrate multiple products.
      it_user448833
      Database Administrator (DBA) - Oracle 11g at a tech company with 51-200 employees
      May 30, 2016
      It increased operational efficiency manifold, as it offers lot of features automating operations, and faster failover mechanisms.

What other advice do I have?

Although it’s easy to operate, it needs expert hands, as it is different, and in fact better with a lot of features, compared to cheaper alternatives. So, good skills should be deployed to effectively use the features of the product for a better ROI.
      it_user446727
      Owner/VP of Operations at KnightWorks Consulting, Inc
      May 30, 2016
      It allows you to put 253 databases into one instance of Oracle.
      it_user436107
      Sr DBA at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 29, 2016
      It allows you to drill down to a very small level inside the database and return a result that you want. The way it tries to maintain all the data integrations is not necessary.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good, stable system. When it comes to Oracle, you need to understand what to use, how to use it, and look into the cost of it, which is very important.
      it_user436200
      Database Admin at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
      May 29, 2016
      We're happy about how if one of the Oracle nodes in the cluster goes down, the others keep running.

What other advice do I have?

I think Oracle is the way to go. It's a solid RDBMS. There's lots to learn.
      it_user436203
      DBA at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 29, 2016
      It's certainly been around for a long time. Stability is industry-leading.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Database can be implemented at a small or large shop. They have a solution for every size.
      it_user436104
      Data Modeler at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 29, 2016
      It brings reliability and security to our environment.
      it_user436065
      IT Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      May 29, 2016
      Valuable features include the fact that it is powerful, reliable and fast.

What other advice do I have?

Just make sure you read up on it and plan ahead.
      it_user436143
      New Technologies Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      May 23, 2016
      I like its ability to be tuned so that we can gather data and our developers can build their code in it without too much hassle.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Database is definitely a great tool. If you're looking for a database technology or tool, you should definitely use Oracle Database. There are many other databases in the market, but I think Oracle has really matured its product over the last ten years. It has a lot of options that do cost extra, but there are a lot of security options in there that are built-in, such as encryption, transportable table spaces, etc.
      it_user436020
      Lead Oracle Database Administrator at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
      May 18, 2016
      One of the features that stands out to me is the Real Application Cluster. This gives us the ability to have active-active clustering functionality.

What other advice do I have?

Despite the fact that it's the most expensive of the RDBMS solution available, there's a reason why Oracle Database has the largest market share. It's the best there is. If there's another RDBMS vendor that provides some functionality that Oracle doesn't, then you'd really have to evaluate what your true ROI will be. From my perspective, though, Database is worth it.
      it_user436155
      DBA at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
      May 18, 2016
      It performs automatic backup recovery and database management, both of which are useful.

What other advice do I have?

You have to really know the Oracle version type that you're working on, especially with the new Oracle chassis which is running on multi-tenant architecture. That is very important if you are, just like our company, on MTA, multi-tenant architecture. We have to really know the inside out how it works before we can actually support and maintain it. So be well prepared for it.
      it_user436125
      Lead Product Dev at a tech company
      May 18, 2016
      I think that the most valuable feature of Oracle Database is the knowledge base that's available.
      it_user436002
      Database Admin with 501-1,000 employees
      May 9, 2016
      It allows us to support large applications and to also tune them properly.
      it_user435990
      DBA Architect at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 5, 2016
      11g has helped increase the performance of our database. We're also able to maintain it easier.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product, better than older versions.
      it_user435033
      Vice Director of IT Department at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 5, 2016
      For me as a DBA, the most important features are the partitioning option, active data guard, and security options.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to have a high-performing, stable, secure, and scalable system, you will choose Oracle Database.
      it_user347580
      Principal Consultant at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
      May 2, 2016
      Without this product, it can be difficult for business users to access Hadoop without significant IT support, but the configuration should be improved as the product is refined.

What other advice do I have?

Aim to roll it out to a large cross section of your business users and structure the procedures to encourage throwaway analytics. Creating traditional dashboards and static reporting can be done with it, but this depends on the structure which makes them inherently inflexible to change. The strengths of Hadoop to store unstructured data and the ability of it to explore, search, and visualize that data means users can be rapidly exploring their data.
      it_user431076
      Lead Database Administrator (DBA) at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Apr 28, 2016
      All queries see a read consistent view of the database so that readers do not block writers and vice versa. I've encountered bugs with the implementation of optional features.

What other advice do I have?

The technology behind the base RDBMS is excellent, probably the best on the market, but its cost and complexity are negatives. The personnel who will support need to get formal training and need to be dedicated database administrators. A part-time DBA will not be sufficient for anything more than a trivial deployment.
      it_user421464
      Advisory Software engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Apr 28, 2016
      Its cross-platform compatibility provides flexibility for different platforms like Windows, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX.

What other advice do I have?

This is the best database product on the market.
      it_user430962
      Database Administration Principal at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      Apr 28, 2016
      It has ACID compliance, strong backup and recovery features, smart cost optimizer, very good stability, performance, and it includes disaster recovery solutions.

What other advice do I have?

From a technical perspective, it is the best RDBMS solution on the market so far. For mission critical solutions, I suggest engaging a senior Oracle database consultant to do the job. An experienced DBA can configure the system to leverage the full potential of the RDBMS both on the performance side and on the availability (backups, BC, DR).
      it_user419319
      Senior Principal Consultant at BroadPoint, Inc.
      Apr 21, 2016
      The flash drive recovery feature is the most valuable aspect of ODB for us.

What other advice do I have?

It has evolved pretty well generally. There are consistently new features and Oracle is making ODB more useful.
      it_user419082
      IT Specialist at US Census Bureau
      Apr 21, 2016
      The installation process has improved remarkably since the 80's when I started working with it.

What other advice do I have?

Especially for government organizations, it would always be my first pick.
      it_user420015
      President at Oraclewizard.com Inc
      Apr 21, 2016
      TDE advanced security is valuable as there are several options of different encryption algorithms.

What other advice do I have?

If it's not implemented correctly, you can still have leakages of clear text data. Understand the product and it's limitations before you implement it. Understand where things can leak and plug those holes ahead of time. You also want to be able to basically understand the product end to end because here's another little issue: if I encrypt the table space at AES 126 or AES 128 and a policy comes out, we're now going to encrypt everything AES 256, you cannot re-encrypt the table space. You would have to create another table space, encrypt it at AES 256 and then move that data over. Then you…
      it_user419154
      Database Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      Apr 21, 2016
      The performance is valuable, especially when compared to MySQL or DB2.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's the best database technology on the market. I recommend it to anyone considering it.
      it_user419178
      Sr Enterprise Database Admin at Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)
      Apr 21, 2016
      It gives us 99% uptime while reliably capturing all the data that's important to our business.
      it_user417387
      IT Specialist at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Apr 21, 2016
      The most valuable component of the new version 12c is the additional processing power it provides.

What other advice do I have?

You probably need to consider some onsite support as much as possible because I'm not sure if the SR process is the best way to go. You probably need some expertise right there onsite that's familiar with your specific firm or agency. It's always difficult if you're just doing SRs.
      it_user419103
      Co Founder & Executive Director at SatyaMoksh Inc.
      Apr 21, 2016
      The most valuable features for us are the cloud-like traits of ODB, grid computing with version 11g onward, live database, and Data Guard.
      it_user412296
      Senior Oracle DBA/Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      Apr 21, 2016
      Its reliability and security are the features most valuable for us.

What other advice do I have?

Consider an open source solution as well.
      it_user419052
      Lead Oracle / Peoplesoft DBA at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Apr 21, 2016
      In our experience, Oracle Database is highly stable, which is the best part of it.

What other advice do I have?

There's a lot more to Oracle, and it's not as simple as you think. It's not like anybody can go and install it because you need to know what you're doing. As a team, you have to go through all the proper documentation.
      it_user417105
      Director of IT at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
      Apr 21, 2016
      The most valuable feature for us is certainly the scalability of the DB as we need capabilities for multiple terabytes of data.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product, no doubt about it. Oracle did a good job on it and that's why they have a big market share. I think if you're starting from scratch, look for other alternatives. Investigate the alternatives to see if they can meet your needs. Technically, it's almost flawless, I would say. There are bugs in it of course, but they are bugs that doesn't impact us as a company.
      it_user417087
      Data Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
      Apr 21, 2016
      It provides the ability to have portability for all the various databases, making things a lot more flexible in terms of availability and shortening the time of upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

It's the way to go. It's the cutting edge, but it's not the bleeding edge, and you can certainly build upon it.
      it_user420012
      Banner Developer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Apr 18, 2016
      There's a large set of commands in PL/SQL so you can read things in and read things out much more easily than you can do in SQL.

What other advice do I have?

The system does what you tell it to do; it doesn't necessarily do what you want it to do. You have to really ground yourself in education before you are safe working with the tools. The tools are very powerful, but at the same time, there are rules behind what it does and you have to know what they are.
      it_user419334
      Senior Principal Production Support Engineer at Intelsat
      Apr 18, 2016
      The most valuable features for us are its capability and reliability. It's dependable, rarely going down or exhibiting instabilities.

What other advice do I have?

I've seen that things are evolving very fast since we first installed Oracle DB 25 years ago and since I've been a DBA for the last 30 years. We've got a lot of expertise in database administration. Honestly, that's being de-emphasized by the cloud offerings for the whole data center. Having people look at rack hardware and install the operating system is being de-emphasized. I think somebody starting out, if they are a not a big operation, they ought to look seriously at using the cloud as an alternative to having to support a lot of IT functions in-house.
      it_user3309
      Presenter at a consultancy
      Sep 16, 2014
      Gathering Statistics and Partitions

What other advice do I have?

Gathering Statistics is important for query plans. However, in a partitioned table environment, it would seem that each partition of a table would have about the same number of records especially when the major key is something like transaction date. So why not have an option to copy the statistics from a "standard partition" when a new partition is added? OR allow for parameters in the table partition metadata to store and update the values that have to be copied for the statistics. The partition is not fully loaded until the end of the "transaction day" and maybe the auto-statistics…
      it_user127854
      Database Expert at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jul 3, 2014
      Plus- stability, minus- SQL*NET for variety platforms

Valuable Features:

Reliability, CBO

Improvements to My Organization:

Processing and accounting of credit card transactions.

Use of Solution:

16 years

Stability Issues:

I've encountered stability issues with Oracle on Windows Server after regular updates.

Implementation Team:

In-house implementation

ROI:

16 months
      it_user98628
      Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Mar 24, 2014
      Serve your business confidently and help it grow with Oracle RDBMS.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle database is one of the best database systems with largest population of experts around helping the global communities. Hence the knowledgebase is rich and vast. However, workout a strong business case in order to get it approved by the sponsor. As a technology expert, IT function needs clear strategy while selecting one product over another.
      it_user3876
      Database Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      Feb 2, 2013
      A powerful Relational Database Management System that offers a large feature set

What other advice do I have?

Oracle is a powerful relational database management system that ensures high level security, consistency and data concurrency. Oracle architecture is split between the logical design and the physical design. This structure means that for large-scale distributed computing, the data location seems local and transparent to the user, allowing for a more modular physical structure that can be added to and altered without affecting the activity of the database, its data, or users. The sharing of resources in this way allows for very flexible data networks whose capacity can be adjusted up or down to…
      it_user3309
      Presenter at a consultancy
      Dec 27, 2012
      Beware: Need to monitor disk space
      One thing that is annoying is the need to monitor the disk space available. In Oracle, the DBMS can monitor the utilization of a data file(s) but when the data files become full, the DBMS cannot just add a new data file and continue. Everything comes to a deadly halt. This approach makes no sense because the solution is just to add a new data file. So all that Oracle has to provide for are the parameters we want for all data files that are added "automagically" and we do not then run into such deadly issues.