Or Nal
Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up, simple to use, and offers good integration capabilities

• "Everyone in the company is quite used to the Oracle functionality."
  • "I would like an end-to-end in terms of processes. There are different modules, however, there's not that end-to-end that we are looking for in terms of process automation."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution mostly as the ERP system at the moment.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is the solution's most valuable aspect. The user levels are easy to take on.

Everyone in the company is quite used to the Oracle functionality.

It's easy when you want to integrate certain solutions that are being developed. When adding modules, the process is quite seamless.

The initial setup was pretty easy.

What needs improvement?

We are in Zimbabwe. At the moment we are having challenges with foreign payments. The pricing for us is quite high due to the exchange.

We wanted a fully-fledged solution that has got payroll, HR, finance et cetera, basically everything finance and administration we'd like to see sustainability management. This solution doesn't offer exactly what we need all in one package. We want to upgrade, therefore, we're currently seeing what else is on the market to see if there are competitors that have the kind of full packaging we require.

There's an issue with business process automation. I would like an end-to-end in terms of processes. There are different modules, however, there's not that end-to-end that we are looking for in terms of process automation. That is what is lacking right now. I have seen Microsoft, for example, really work well when it comes to process automation.

I've been using the product for about six years at this point. I started using the solution around 2014 if I recall correctly.

The version we are using is extremely stable. We've found it to be a reliable product. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. We haven't had to engage with technical support on any issues as it just seems to run very well.

The solution offers good scalability depending on the setup. Since we have an on-prem product, we have a big data center. In terms of the database replication, I think maybe it was more expensive. We didn't have to deploy an active/active setup on the DB side.

We haven't really needed to reach out to technical support. That's a testament to how well this product runs.

That said, in the past, I recall dealing with them, and for the most part, they were great. There were a few issues they were a bit slower to respond to, however, overall, as I recall, they were good.

When you are running a business you want a faster turnaround time. However, there are also some issues where they will be operating within their SLA, be it 24 or 48 hours. Still, sometimes you just need those quick turnarounds, such as maybe one or two hours, to get things done.

We did not find the initial implementation to be complex. It was rather straightforward. As time went on there were some little customizations being made, however, it was just rather straightforward in general. We didn't struggle with the implementation at all.

The pricing for us, being based in Zimbabwe, is expensive. The exchange is not so good. While we have some constraints now, we don't foresee this being an ongoing problem.

Although we don't have an imperative to move solutions, we are looking at other options to see what is available on the market.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Oracle.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been largely happy with the product's performance.

Daniel Robus
Go To Market Executive at #Liferocks Consulting
Good user experience makes this a good product for those who are restricted from pushing fully to the cloud

• "It can be an essential solution for those who can not just push to the cloud because they have critical data restrictions."
  • "If you get away from the financials core of the product, it is not so good at handling peripherals."

What is our primary use case?

The business case around using the different Oracle products in this category generally comes down to the discussion regarding migration to the cloud. Specifically, Fusion would be migrating away from an on-premise-heavy environment to a subscription cloud environment. People are generally not looking at E-Business at the moment because of the push to the cloud. In certain countries where there are public sector rules regarding data sovereignty and data storage, they would look at E-Business as their solution because it can base critical data on-premises. From my vantage, everybody is moving to Fusion or should have moved to Fusion, but the fact is that some people still can not. Those who can not will use E-Business.

How has it helped my organization?

I have seen companies that were making decisions based on excel spreadsheets move to making management decisions off the system data. Proper transformation through having a tier one ERP solution in place.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in E-Business Suite is the ability to have one source of the truth when it comes to data. This allows for decisions to be made in different disciplines but use the same data. Powerful.

What needs improvement?

I think the capability for deployment is not great when you get out of financials. That is, when you get to the edge products around the E-Business core, I think that needs improvement. For example, if you are in manufacturing and the core focus of your work is financial procurement and HR, I think E-Business is very good. When you get away from that focus and you get into the more specialized area of work, then EBS needs improvement. They are trying to fit everything into the cloud, but they are adopting pieces rather than adapting them to the cloud.

One other improvement could be adopting more of the NetSuite total-business solution. I think that is a weakness that E-Business is really more like a module that connects things than a complete solution. I think that they should be looking at making it a total business solution.

I have had experience with this product for the last 20 years.

I think E-Business has the capacity to scale pretty well. Oracle is generally good for that aspect of product management.

When I was on the support side, I thought it was great. I think where support does fall over sometimes is in the turn-around time and not from a technology perspective. The turn around can be too long.

The initial setup for E-Business is pretty complex. I think that the difficulty is similar to implementing NetSuite as well. With NetSuite, you can get it up and running in three to four weeks for core financials. With Oracle, on the box, it says that it can be done with the setup rapidly and that may be true. But it is actually the internal change and adoption that are the biggest problems. In other words, I think that it is actually more of a problem as to how quickly business people can change rather than how difficult it is to deploy.

I have implemented, supported, maintained, and looked after all of the different deployment types (on cloud, hybrid cloud, and on-premises).

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten there one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Oracle E-Business Suite as an eight-out-of-ten.

I would recommend E-Business Suite to others who are looking into implementing it and sometimes do.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle E-Business Suite. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Robin Saikat Chatterjee
Head of Oracle Exadata Centre of Excellence at Tata Consultancy Services
This software scales very well across various implementations.With the new version Oracle has added Enhanced online patching capabilities to reduce downtime and made the product compatible with19C.

• "When correctly configured, this is a very stable solution. We have customers running their process automation manufacturing based off of this solution."
  • "This software scales very well across various implementations."
  • "One issue with the product is because it build on a lot of older technologies, there is a substantial technical debt in the system."

What is our primary use case?

I am an Oracle applications architect/DBA/sysadmin, hence my review will be from this perspective.

My task is to size and deploy solutions both for building our internal solutions and for our various customers. We also work to migrate On premise Installations to Oracle cloud infrastructure using Oracel cloud manager for Ebusiness suite

How has it helped my organization?

We have had a lot of success in implementing Oracle EBS for various customers. For example, the shared services modules have helped to reduce manpower in many areas of finance, where previously each individual organizational unit had their own staff.

What is most valuable?

• The robust architecture
  • Ability for near zero downtime patching
  • High availability
  • Security
  • RAC
  • Data Guard in the architecture

These make for a very resilient solution in an ERP platform.

What needs improvement?

One issue with the product is because it build on a lot of older technologies, there is a substantial technical debt in the system. For example, the use of Oracle forms which are a much older technology, and are basically a two-tier client server setup shoehorned into a three-tier architecture, it might create issues over a wide area network. It would be good if the EBS team enables multitenant fatures beyond the current single pdb cdb architecture allowing for pdb snap clones in the same oracle cdb database.

More than fifteen years across various versions ranging from 11.

This software scales very well across various implementations.

There are both knowledgeable and unknowledgeable support people in the vendor organization. Hence, it is imperative to keep pushing on various issues in order to get a resolution.

We are part of the Oracle Centers of Excellence within our company, so we only have experience with the Oracle ERP products. However, we do have capabilities on various Oracle ERP products, like J.D. Edwards, PeopleSoft, etc., and can contrast among these solutions.

Initial setup is complex, hence it is recommended to use a system integrator (SI).

As we are system integrators for this solution, we have implemented it in various locations using our own in-house team.

At our various customers, the software tends to pay for itself in less than two years.

Licensing and costing of Oracle EBS is very complex. We recommend to use a system integrator during the negotiation process since Oracle sales representatives sometime do not know the actual minimum requirements and may oversell the necessary licenses through ignorance.

Since we are focused on Oracle ERP technologies, we do not have a mandate to do comparisons on other products.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely one of the more robust on-premise solutions. Given the sensitive nature of ERP financial information, there will always be concerns in taking such software to the cloud, which is why we still see a future for this software.

It was recently announced that there will be at least one more version of Oracle EBS which will come out to satisfy customer demands.

Other
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Oracle Platinum Cloud Elite Partners. We implement this solution and other solutions for our various customers.
KO
Senior Audit Officer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flexible, stable, and not difficult to set up

• "The most valuable feature is its flexibility."
  • "The reporting needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for many things from procurement to payment. We have a lot of models and it is used extensively in finance as well as HR.

I have been a user and I have also worked as a system auditor.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its flexibility. You can create a lot of modeling solutions for a single activity. Many different approaches can be used to solve the same problem, so it is not rigid. Any time we have a group discussing solutions, I am happy because if a person has a different view then it doesn't matter because it can be geared towards a common aim or goal.

There are a number of forms and tables that come with it and once you become knowledgeable, it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The reporting needs to be improved. I think that there are times when you have to build too many custom reports in order to achieve what you want. This comes out of the fact that it is so flexible because if you don't go by the standard, in terms of the implementation you choose, then it means that you have to come up with a lot of reports. I have seen some of the reporting that they are now doing through Hyperion, which is very nice, but I don't know if it will solve the problem.

I have found that when somebody is not experienced with Oracle, it is difficult to use.

I have been working with the Oracle E-Business Suite for close to 10 years.

In terms of stability, it is a very good system. I would rate the stability an eight out of ten.

We have sent requests to Oracle for technical support when we've had issues. They haven't been able to solve all of our problems, but most of the time, they were able to help us.

Over time, I have used several versions of this same product.

While I was not part of the initial setup, I did have the opportunity to work on another one. For me, I did not find that it was difficult. I think it's a question of one's knowledge of the system.

We had implementors come on-site to assist us with the initial setup.

I provide technical support to the HR department.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is not to go with Oracle if you don't have much knowledge about it. In other words, don't buy the system based on the presentation by the marketing team. It is a very good system and I attest to it, but you need to have some personal experience with it.

Have extensive discussions about your use cases, requirements, and what everything is going to look like. Also, you should have a team that understands the system before you buy it. Don't buy Oracle with the idea that you'll want assistance. Although it's a good system, you need to be cognizant of it before implementing it.

Adil Fouari
Manager / Oracle Applications Consultant at ASAM Conseil Inc
Scalable, customizable, and the integration between accounts is good

• "The most valuable feature is the integration between accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, and budgeting."
  • "It is difficult to get answers from technical support right away."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and I work with Oracle E-Business Suite to assist my clients with financials and supply chain management. I help with the implementation of these models.

My clients buy licenses from Oracle and they have to configure the system. I am one of the functional analysts that work with CPAs and other technical people to implement the system.

One of our recent clients was a bank in Montreal and it was a very good experience. It took us a year and a half to implement.

What is most valuable?

The procurement-to-pay (P2P) process is something that we work a lot with.

What needs improvement?

It is difficult to get answers from technical support right away.

I have been working with this product for 18 years.

Oracle has been on the market for many years and it is really stable.

It is really scalable and customizable.

The technical support is good, although sometimes it is very difficult to get an answer from them right away. You have to send them all of the log files so that they can fix the problem.

I have also worked with Fusion, which is a combination of Oracle products combined together on the cloud. They did a great job of taking the best features from PeopleSoft, Siebel, and other Oracle products to create Fusion. It has a lot of features, although I find that clients don't use it to 100% capacity. I see some clients buy the license but they can't use it because they don't know how to.

It is not easy to set up a project.

We do workshops with the clients and all of their departments to find out the business processes that they have. We then try to match these processes with the features we have in Oracle and if there are any gaps, we try to customize the system to answer their business processes. Or, we try to convince them to change the way they work so it matches what Oracle is bringing. It may take a year, or sometimes a year and a half to be implemented. However, it does answer a lot of business problems.

This product is more expensive if you compare it to SAP.

Oracle E-Business Suite can be compared to SAP. It is a little more expensive and takes longer to implement projects. I would say that on average, it takes nine months to implement a project in SAP, whereas it might be a year with Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product depends on the requirements. For example, if somebody is starting from scratch and are looking for a new ERP, I would advise them to adopt a cloud solution like Fusion.

On the other hand, if they are already using the E-Business Suite then I suggest upgrading it and continuing with the same infrastructure.

AB
Functional Consultant Oracle EBS at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
Overall great package of ERP with good core processes, but difficult to understand at first

• "The solution has other core processes that can be implemented with customers according to their needs."
  • "It's difficult for some customers to understand in the beginning. A user really has to understand the processes."

What is most valuable?

The processes, for example, how you can procure to pay, are well implemented in the software.

It's the whole package of ERP which is so appealing in terms of really enjoying the product.

What needs improvement?

They are still developing out the E-Business Suite. I would like some things about contract management and the other parts of the procure to pay process to be able to standardize more for the public sector. That's the feedback I've encountered from clients. They've all chosen to go for custom made solutions now mostly due to this.

The solution could offer more integration with other toolsets. That's why NetSuite does better in that market. It's in the cloud completely and you can integrate with other software more easily. With E-Business Suite you have to use database links or something of that nature to establish better connections.

Oracle E-business is not a cloud product.

I've been using the solution for 15 years at this point. It's been a long time.

The level of technical support you receive really depends on if you know who to reach out to. If you do, it's fine. For consultants like us, it's sometimes a little bit frustrating, because we know how to solve the problems ourselves for the most part. Yet, when we need Oracle, we have to fill in all these questions about standard things that we must deliver and query results and standard programs.

We always provide enough information to be able to understand the problem. For us, we immediately get 5000 questions back when we log an issue and we've already passed that part of the process because we understand what is going on and what is going wrong. That can be a little bit frustrating. However, I understand why they do it. Oracle wants to know exactly what the issue is. For consultants, on the other hand, who recognize the issues, we would prefer not to have to go through the first line of support and rather be directed to someone we can talk to immediately. Right now, there's something like five steps before you can do that.

I can not say much about the price, because that's more of a question for management, and who deals with that directly. However, I am aware that the licenses are sometimes difficult for customers to understand. The pricing is a little bit expensive sometimes and how they come to the pricing is complex.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. Our company has partnered with Oracle.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Thanh_Nguyen
Implementation Consultant at IERP JSC
Reseller
An integrated set of business applications to streamline processes, but the user interface could be better

• "I like Oracle ERP for streamlining the entire process from PRTL and invoice payments. It also has the decision and internet sale order, and my customers can correct the internet decision. It automatically converts to the internet order, and they don't need to create the entry object. They don't need to make a secondary ledger in the parent company and subsidiary. That's very helpful for internet decisions. If they get an order at the parent company, it automatically creates the sales system in the subsidiary."
  • "The user interface could be better. It's not good because they made their interface all in one, and my customers don't want to use it. I have to customize the interface and personalize it to hide some fields on the screen. It has lots of information on the screen, and the user can't easily navigate it. It's very difficult to use. I think that Oracle should have something like best practices. They need to provide some patches to simplify the interface based on the industry niche. Because now we see everything on the same screen, but the users don't need all that information. It's complicated to use for end-users, and we have to spend more time training them. In the next release, I think they should implement most of the features in the mobile app. It should be better. Oracle didn't update their mobile application for a very long time. Connecting the mobile application is complicated."

What is our primary use case?

I'm working with a vendor to implement Oracle EDS for my customers.

What is most valuable?

I like Oracle ERP for streamlining the entire process from PRTL and invoice payments. It also has the decision and internet sale order, and my customers can correct the internet decision. It automatically converts to the internet order, and they don't need to create the entry object. They don't need to make a secondary ledger in the parent company and subsidiary. That's very helpful for internet decisions. If they get an order at the parent company, it automatically creates the sales system in the subsidiary.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be better. It's not good because they made their interface all in one, and my customers don't want to use it. I have to customize the interface and personalize it to hide some fields on the screen. It has lots of information on the screen, and the user can't easily navigate it. It's very difficult to use.

I think that Oracle should have something like best practices. They need to provide some patches to simplify the interface based on the industry niche. Because now we see everything on the same screen, but the users don't need all that information. It's complicated to use for end-users, and we have to spend more time training them.

In the next release, I think they should implement most of the features in the mobile app. It should be better. Oracle didn't update their mobile application for a very long time. Connecting the mobile application is complicated.

I have been working with Oracle E-Business Suite for 19 years.

Oracle support is good.

The initial setup is complicated. For the end-user, it'll take about two or three weeks to use one of the modules.

Oracle prices are better in Vietnam and more flexible. If we need to customize something in Oracle, it's very flexible and easy to customize.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that they need to understand the requirements and the time required to implement them. They can implement it separately in phases. Phase one is very simple. It's simple for finance, procurement, and inventory. After that, we can extend it step by step. They shouldn't implement several models at once as it's complicated.

Oracle consultants should take more time to learn the product, and they have to understand the Vietnamese. They also take time to learn the product becasue it's very complicated.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Oracle E-Business Suite a seven.

Mustapha Eldiraoui
Database Supervisor at Saudi Bin Ladin Group
Scalable but requires a huge setup for installation

• "It is scalable."
  • "We don't like Oracle EBS because it is very old. Nowadays, all the systems are on the cloud and web-based. With Oracle EBS, you need a huge setup before installing it. You need a lot of servers. There are a lot of problems and bugs in the system. We have to move from Oracle EBS to another system. In terms of improvements, it can have better training for end users and better support."

What is our primary use case?

I am a system analyst and database supervisor. I prepare the reports and take the reports from the system.

We are mainly using this product for HR and finance. We also use it a little bit for supply chain. We are using a legacy version of this product.

What is most valuable?

It is scalable.

What needs improvement?

We don't like Oracle EBS because it is very old. Nowadays, all the systems are on the cloud and web-based. With Oracle EBS, you need a huge setup before installing it. You need a lot of servers. There are a lot of problems and bugs in the system. We have to move from Oracle EBS to another system. In terms of improvements, it can have better training for end users and better support.

We have been using Oracle E-Business Suite in some divisions since 2014.

It is stable because we already know where are the problems and errors. So, we are able to handle it manually, but this is not healthy at all.

It is scalable. We have around 1,000 users.

We didn't use their technical support because we didn't pay for the license for support.

I am not responsible for installation or setup. You need a huge setup and a lot of servers before installing it.

Its implementation was very difficult. We used an implementer, but he was bad.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution but with good implementation from the beginning. After implementation, you can build whatever you want. You can create any flow.

We will continue to use this solution because we have the system license, but we will eventually move from Oracle EBS to another system. We are trying to go to HCM Fusion, but we have some problems with the management. That's why we haven't moved to Fusion.

I would rate Oracle E-Business Suite a seven out of ten.

Download our free Oracle E-Business Suite Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.