Oracle E-Business Suite OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle E-Business Suite is #1 ranked solution in top Field Service Management tools, #1 ranked solution in top Activity Based Costing Software, #1 ranked solution in top Benefits Administration tools, #1 ranked solution in top Enterprise Resource Planning for Manufacturing tools, #1 ranked solution in top Product Configuration and Quoting tools, and #3 ranked solution in top ERP tools. IT Central Station users give Oracle E-Business Suite an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle E-Business Suite is most commonly compared to JD Edwards EnterpriseOne:Oracle E-Business Suite vs JD Edwards EnterpriseOne. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 38% of all views.
What is Oracle E-Business Suite?
Oracle E-Business Suite is the most comprehensive suite of integrated, global business applications that enable organizations to make better decisions, reduce costs, and increase performance.

Oracle E-Business Suite was previously known as Oracle EBS, OEBS.

Oracle E-Business Suite Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle E-Business Suite Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Oracle E-Business Suite Customers
Colab, Portobello, Saudi Telecom Company, DG Khan Cement, Dubai Holding
Oracle E-Business Suite Video

Archived Oracle E-Business Suite Reviews (more than two years old)

Onur DINCER
Principle Oracle Apps DBA at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Administrators can apply patches on the fly with minimum downtime, however customization deployment is complex

What is our primary use case?

EBS r12.2. can be used in many industry  like oil and gas, energy, construction,health and care industries to implement Purchasing,HR,Finance modules in it.

How has it helped my organization?

It was complex to follow HR processes, such as leave application, approvals, and job applications. Now, they are integrated and managed from only one screen.

What is most valuable?

Online patching, which lets administrators apply patches on the fly and with minimum downtime to make it active.

What needs improvement?

Deployment of customization is complex, thus nobody is using it. Instead, we are deploying the same code on both filesystems (fs1, fs2). In order to follow standards, the deployment process should be as easy as before, in R12.1.

More than five years.

No, but you have to apply latest technology patches after base installation.

Yes, while using Shared Appl_top, you have to use NFS or related technology. But if your admin apps node fails, the second node cannot continue without the primary node. Manual interaction is required.

A seven out of 10.

It was easy.

Do not enable any module that you do not use. Check them and disable, if necessary.

No, decision was already made before the project.

What other advice do I have?

If your requirement is not so complex, give a try. For smaller ERP solutions, Oracle EBS is a complex solution which has complex requirements.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner .
SS
Chief Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
Improved visibility into manufacturing and gives a good, in-depth analysis

What is our primary use case?

Process costing.

How has it helped my organization?

Improved visibility into manufacturing.

What is most valuable?

Costing: very good, in-depth analysis.

What needs improvement?

Reporting.

What is our primary use case?

Process costing.

How has it helped my organization?

Improved visibility into manufacturing.

What is most valuable?

Costing: very good, in-depth analysis.

What needs improvement?

Reporting.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle E-Business Suite. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GM
Managing Director at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
I can customize summarized reports to be available on the dashboard but we would appreciate sending notifications through SMS

What is our primary use case?

Management of supply chain in the petroleum industry: from requesting quotes from suppliers to issuing LPO, managing credit; and selling in cash, credit, and discounts.

How has it helped my organization?

Generating reports is more efficient: generating financial reports, employee reports, volume reports, and time attendance reports.

What is most valuable?

Accessing vital information on the dashboard: I can customize summarized reports to be available on the dashboard.

What needs improvement?

Sending alerts through bulk SMS. With the growing use of mobile phones, we would appreciate sending notifications through SMS.

NG
Assistant Vice President, Global Projects Delivery at comviva
Provides a well-centered database that is feature rich

• "It provides a well-centered database that is feature rich."
  • "The UI interface is not great."

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way we worked. Everything is now on a very well-centered database. Before, we would have things saved on Excel, but it would be on different versions, or someone would have it saved on e-mail, and it would not be saved as an Excel file. It became frustrating. On Excel it is definitely harder to keep things. With so many people in the company, everybody had his own version. Definitely that created a big disconnect. The Oracle E-Business Suite was not able to get reports. It was not able to get the connectivity. Now, we can use this solution to streamline the documentation and products of our organization.

What is most valuable?

The database is feature rich, no doubt. It is also a a tool that can easily connect an entire company. From this, you can build any BI orders. The reporting solution is good and it has a good database that connects with everything.

What needs improvement?

The UI interface is not good. In addition, there is a constant challenge that new things are evolving and people are looking at new ways of connecting. They do not want to log into web interfaces. And, the standard UI does not give you flexibility. You need to have a specialist who will work on the workflow. If changes are made, alerts are required. This provides challenges.

Additionally, if inventory gets linked with our OEM portals, you enter some number, order number, find the OEM number and then an inventory which you have ordered. You receive the GRN updates your inventory also, links with OEM, and we really good because then you'll know the third party hardware or whatever solution you're purchasing, what is the end of life, where is the end of support, when is the warranty ending, what is the new product coming?

All things can be related. Right now it is a stand alone system that is not integrated, whereas today you're talking about global solutions things can be in database. Even if it is not loud, even then things can be dated because you have only given purchase order to your OEM, you're under warranty. We have the right to get the information. OEM has the right to push information but then ERP is not supporting us. None of the effort goes into that.

Less than one year.

The product does not crash. It is stable.

We have not experienced problems with the scalability of the product. The only problem I have noticed is that sometimes the scales are not available easily in the market. Maybe in the future we will move to Linux or Interface Servers that will provide a lower cost solution. We will have to evaluate this in the future.

We are currently using the technical support because we have a relationship with Oracle to be able to raise tickets. We generally have not had many challenges.

The cost is high for this product.

What other advice do I have?

When deciding on a solution, I suggest looking at the vendor, the stabiliy of the product and the tech support provisions. A business has to run smoothly, and the solution has to help ease that process.

Yasser Ghonaim
IT Operations Service Delivery Senior Manager at e-finance
Helps manage our Financial Systems but it is costly

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is for Governmental Fiscal Management Information Systems (GFMIS). This is a complete solution to manage the whole country Financial System.

What needs improvement?

Its user interface is not completely a web interface. It uses a lot of traffic which costs too much for a large number of users scattered throughout the country as they connect from their terminals to do their tasks.

It costs too much.

It costs too much.

Gustavo Gonzalez
Chief Technology Officer at IT Convergence
Financials and Project Management suites give us flexibility in configurations

• "Very flexible in terms of configurations and it's capable of integrations."
  • "Reporting is a big area for improvement. It needs to provide the ability to extract data from the suite. Oracle has also been making a great effort to make E-Business Suite more user-friendly but there are still areas where a focus on User Experience would help."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Oracle E-Business Suite as our back-office system for HRMS, financials, and projects. We first implemented in 2003 and we've been upgrading to the release 12.2.6 which is our current version. It has been integrated with other Oracle and non-Oracle products.

How has it helped my organization?

Since 2013, IT Convergence has been growing at a two-digit pace and Oracle E-Business Suite has been supporting the operations and every new subsidiary/country that we have expanded to, minimizing risks.

We were able to grow from 250 employees, as of our first HRMS implementation, to more than 800 employees. In terms of financials, a 4x growth in revenue since the first implementation was possible by having world-class business software like Oracle E-Business Suite.

What is most valuable?

The most important features are related to the Financials and Project Management suites. Flexibility in configurations and how it supports business globally in a single instance are definitely the most valuable aspects of the tool.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is a big area for improvement. It needs to provide the ability to extract data from the suite. Oracle has also been making a great effort to make E-Business Suite more user-friendly but there are still areas where a focus on User Experience would help.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate it an eight out of 10. It is very stable and has all the required functionality. It's very flexible and capable of integrations. I think the technology has some room for improvement and the lack of embedded reporting creates a need for external reporting.

Rajinder Sachdeva (Pmp, Oracle Certified Master.)
Infrastructure Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Significantly enhanced our inventory procurement processes

What is our primary use case?

Financial, procure to pay, order to cash, inventory management, enterprise asset management, human resources management, and iStore.

How has it helped my organization?

We have saved millions of dollars in inventory. Before this system, we did not have integration and every shop was ordering inventory individually, without checking with the other shops.

With eAM (Enterprise Asset Management) we have seen improvements in preventive maintenance, asset tracking, planning, cost analysis for maintenance, and integration of procurement.

What is most valuable?

Inventory and enterprise asset maintenance.

What needs improvement?

The iStore could be better.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10 because it required some customization.

Gerente de Aplicaciones Oracle at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Enables us to create accounting from transactions handled by multiple legacy systems

• "The supplier invoice payment process is very easy and is integrated from the requisition to the payment (and to creating the asset)."
  • "The GL and FAH modules have become real-deal players for an organization with many legacy systems that handle transactions and where there is a need to create accounting from these transactions."
  • "Standard reporting needs to be changed. Many of the standard reports look the same as they did in version 10.7, 20 years ago."

How has it helped my organization?

I have been involved in many implementation projects. Recently, we implemented the FAH module in a national bank in Costa Rica, and the accounting creation from several core systems was reduced from days to hours.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and has many functions for facilitating day-to-day work (transactionally speaking). There are a lot of reports and queries available. The GL and FAH modules have become real-deal players for an organization with many legacy systems that handle transactions and where there is a need to create accounting from these transactions.

The supplier invoice payment process is very easy and is integrated from the requisition to the payment (and to creating the asset).

I like very much the way we can control inventories.

What needs improvement?

Standard reporting needs to be changed. Many of the standard reports look the same as they did 20 years ago in version 10.7.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution at nine out of 10 because there is always room for improvement. Oracle E-Business Suite is very customizable, with a lot of interfaces and processes that can be programmed in different ways. It provides a lot of workflow approvals for different business processes and is adaptable and scalable.

I am a functional consultant for e-Business Suite (and training to go to the Cloud). My experience as a functional consultant covers these modules: GL, AP, AR, PO, FA, ENG, OM, INV, WIP, BOM, FAH, CE, CST.

Program Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Provides us with a transparent view of our financial system

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage back-office work, financials.

How has it helped my organization?

Helped make us compliant and provides a transparent view of our financial system.

What is most valuable?

Financial reconciliation Reporting

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integration with other systems.

More than five years.

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage back-office work, financials.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Financial reconciliation
  • Reporting

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integration with other systems.

Dadan  Rahdian
Consulting Manager at PT. Metrodata Electronics Tbk

• "The customer gets a better cost calculation and an integrated system between departments."
  • "Oracle EBS provides the customer with faster financial closing because of its accurate calculations."
  • "Valuable features include Ledger and Subsidiary, Operating Unit, and Inventory Organization and Location."
  • "On-site cloud support is slow and unresponsive."

What is our primary use case?

We implement Oracle EBS R12.2.5 in various companies, including financial and manufacturing distribution companies. The Oracle solution covers finance, procure to pay, order to cash, and inventory with process manufacturing or discrete manufacturing.

How has it helped my organization?

With Oracle EBS, the customer gets a better cost calculation and an integrated system between departments. Oracle EBS also provides the customer with faster financial closing because of its accurate calculations. Customers have previously used local ERP, Acumatica, SAP, and old systems such as FoxPro.

What is most valuable?

• Ledger and Subsidiary
  • Operating Unit
  • Inventory Organization and Location
  • Subinventory and Bin
  • In our financial information, we can utilize trial balance on the operating unit level. This feature is very useful for our distribution company.

What needs improvement?

Currently, Oracle is focusing on their Cloud ERP. Since Cloud ERP is being rebuilt from scratch using a different technology, it seems that their on-premise support is slow and unresponsive. This differs with SAP Strategy, whose cloud solution is moving to their on-premise solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a Consultant for Oracle EBS & Oracle Fusion.
LW
Manager of Oracle Applications at Stowers
User
Payroll and online benefits enrollment replaced the existing paper process

• "Payroll and online benefits enrollment"
  • "Has good dashboard and drill-down features."
  • "HRMS analyzers should be automatically updated to be the most recent because Oracle support always asks for the latest version of the analyzer output."
  • "We need more user-friendly fast formulas for all HRMS modules."

What is our primary use case?

Used for finances and the HRMS including online annual benefits enrollment. Its drilldown features add value. HTML pages should have better performance.

How has it helped my organization?

• Removed paper/spreadsheet time-cards
  • Replaced the paper process with electronic online process for annual benefits enrollment, view pay slip online, view W-2 online, etc.
  • Able to submit government reports electronically

What is most valuable?

• Payroll and online benefits enrollment
  • Dashboard feature
  • Drill-down feature

What needs improvement?

• New hire on-boarding, employee off-boarding, etc.
  • More user-friendly fast formulas for all HRMS modules.
  • HRMS analyzers should be automatically updated to be the most recent because Oracle support always asks for the latest version of the analyzer output.

it_user817998
Associate Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
User
On-Time Payroll and its features are user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for HR Operations Maintaining employee master data, payroll, and recruitment are some of the key features which we are mostly relying on the system to provide.

How has it helped my organization?

On-Time Payroll and its features are user-friendly. The online solutions a faster response and our business is running smoothly.

What is most valuable?

Employee Central and the core HR functionality is exciting! Being built around a robust Oracle database, the enhancement and configuration are simple.

What needs improvement?

All good. So far, we have no major product issues. We expect Oracle to go into continuous innovation mode and provide simplified integration solutions.

Three to five…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

All good. So far, we have no major product issues.

Three to five years.
it_user809760
Program Manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
An integrated platform with an easy of integration to a third-party system

• "An integrated platform with an easy of integration to a third-party system."
  • "Needs more real-time visualizations, in terms of smarter dashboards and reporting competing with the speed of HANA."

What is our primary use case?

Looking for a comparative study on different solutions available in cloud. Pros and cons, challenges, and benefits of moving from a on-prem solutions to the cloud world. Planning required before starting.

How has it helped my organization?

• Better planning
  • On time shipments and smart accounting
  • An integrated platform with an easy of integration to a third-party system.

What is most valuable?

Shipment planning using Oracle Transportation Management has helped for:

• Accurate freight estimation
  • Faster and accurate route planning
  • Tracking shipments to ensure on time delivery
  • Improving the customer experience.

What needs improvement?

Analytics, especially in terms of predictable.

More real-time visualizations, in terms of smarter dashboards and reporting competing with the speed of HANA.

it_user521712
Applications Manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
The basic data collection and reporting abilities are keys for us

What is most valuable?

The basic collecting of all of the data, and being able to report off of it.

How has it helped my organization?

Many efficiencies.

What needs improvement?

It needs a better user interface; the forms and HTML split would be better if they were consistent.

We haven't had any issues in the last eight years at least.

It has scaled well for our needs.

We're happy with the timeliness and the resolution, after we open a ticket.

What other advice do I have?

What is most valuable?

The basic collecting of all of the data, and being able to report off of it.

How has it helped my organization?

Many efficiencies.

What needs improvement?

We haven't had any issues in the last eight years at least.

It has scaled well for our needs.

We're happy with the timeliness and the resolution, after we open a ticket.

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to understand your business, your processes, and the application before you implement. I would also recommend taking some training.

it_user755364
Managing Director | Oracle Competency
Reduces human intervention, which in turn saves time and money

• "The integration of the various modules is definitely the most valuable feature for us. Our clients being business-minded, which involves customers and suppliers."
  • "The issue of frequently applying patches and updates to fix bugs. Oracle should improve upon this issue, especially since it happens too frequently."

What is most valuable?

We pay bills and look to Oracle primarily for products which can integrate into our existing systems.

How has it helped my organization?

Due to the integration, we can just access just one software for AP, GL, PO, AR, and everything just integrates together. It has helped us to reduce data entry, because we can just enter data once and it is accessible from the other modules. It certainly reduces human intervention, which in turn saves time and, ultimately, money.

What needs improvement?

For Oracle R12.1.3, we have used it for a considerable length of time in most of the projects we support. We also have used other products, which are 12.2.4 and 12.2.5 for the last three years.

This product could be stable if there was a good support team supporting it. If there is a team of experts supporting it, you are guaranteed of its stability. Sometimes it becomes unstable, then a good support team jumps into it and makes it stable again.

It has been able to scale for our needs.

The support at Oracle is good. It is not very good, but okay. The Oracle support is through the Oracle MetaLink, where you open up the Oracle SR, then get the support needed. For this, we spend at least a day or two providing them with information and it is time consuming. Hence, I think it is okay. However, in case of any urgency, we need to go to the escalation route for any urgent support that is needed and need to go over the issue with them. We struggle in terms of getting the right support.

We used Oracle Applications 11i. The reason for switching is because we opted for the new release of r12, which had more advantageous features.

Initial setup really depends on the module. It is not very consistent, because different people have developed the different modules. You have to get used to it.

From the beginning, we were only using Oracle. It is not a small product; it is a big company. Going from Oracle to another vendor would be very costly. That's why they are not thinking about it. Maybe for the next five to 10 years, my company will be using only Oracle, but I am not completely sure.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to assess your timeline, duration, and everything else that is relevant to a successful implementation and actually using the products. It really helps if you have a solid performance assessment done prior to starting the implementation.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: The company is a Gold Level Partner with the vendor.
it_user757425
General Manager IT
Valuable features include order to cash and procure to pay process, which are flexible and integrate well

• "Order to cash and procure to pay process: They are valuable features because of their integration and flexibility."
  • "Movement of CIP Inventory cannot be monitored in Inventory module when we are using the CIP Account or movement of CIP Inventory in Asset module, which is not flexible like Inventory module."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

The tool reduces manual processes and controls in our systems.

What needs improvement?

Fixed Asset process has no need to wait until supplier invoices, but can be done after GRN. Movement of CIP Inventory cannot be monitored in Inventory module when we are using the CIP Account or movement of CIP Inventory in Asset module, which is not flexible like Inventory module.

For eight years.

A seven out of 10.

Accurate Accounting. We switch to get better control of our processes.

It was not complex.

We did the implementation of Oracle EBS internally without a vendor.

Find a best Oracle partner and get a better discount.

What other advice do I have?

Use an experienced Oracle consultant.

it_user600960
Head of Unit NUCLEAR at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Defines and manages workforce competence through the management of learning path, course completion, and learning certification

• "Rapidly implement jobs, positions, grades, and steps within setup of organizational structure."
  • "More flexibility in configuration related to the Payroll module, in order to easily implement the local legislation."

What is most valuable?

Our client implemented the Oracle Human Capital Management part of the solution. With these features, they can:

• Rapidly implement jobs, positions, grades, and steps within setup of organizational structure.
  • Measure and monitor performance for personal goals and corporate objectives.
  • Define and manage workforce competence through the management of learning path, course completion, and learning certification.
  • To do this before on paper basis, it was very time consuming. Now, they can use the gained time to properly manage their workforce.

How has it helped my organization?

Our client has not only implemented the Oracle Human Capital Management (HCM) solution. They did also the integration with other solutions, such as the Work Management solution, so when there is a certain work order to be issued, they can easily and rapidly identify the proper available resources to perform the work.

What needs improvement?

We implemented this product for one of our clients. This client has used the solution since 2010. In 2015, they upgraded the solution from version 12.1.3 to version 12.2.4.

I would rate the level of the technical support as a seven out of 10. There are big delays in the issues of resolution times

Our client previously used an internally developed application. They switched because this application covered only a small part of their needs related to human capital management, and it was difficult to maintain due to the lack of IT specialized resources.

The initial setup was straightforward. Our team has a lot experience in the Oracle E-Business Suite implementation and we also cooperated with professionals from Oracle Romania. Lastly, the client was actively involved in all the stages of the project.

All pricing and licensing information is public and available for everybody. I advise others to check this information in advance in order to correctly decide what to ask to the vendor.

Our client evaluated other options from smaller and similar companies, as Oracle, but Oracle’s solution was suitable for them at the time in terms of features and possibilities for integration with other already existing solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Be careful at the number and complexity of the reports needed to compare with the pre-defined reports. If the gap between the two is big, then they have to consider a bigger duration for the project and its corresponding additional price.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We partner with the vendor for different big projects.
it_user674601
Oracle DBA & EBS Functional Administrator with 501-1,000 employees
It has a low risk in implementation against all other products

What is most valuable?

Easy in implementation.

What needs improvement?

Maybe the contract, which is too complicated.

Six years.

None, but some issues with the Java launching.

Sometimes, yes.

It is good.

No, none at all. We did start with two products, but it was not perfect in terms of integration.

Oracle licencing is very complex, and the pricing is too expensive .

No, it…

What is most valuable?

Easy in implementation.

What needs improvement?

Maybe the contract, which is too complicated.

Six years.

None, but some issues with the Java launching.

Sometimes, yes.

It is good.

Oracle licencing is very complex, and the pricing is too expensive .

No, it was strategic to go with Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle has a low risk in implementation against all other products.

Operations Engineering Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
It has improved our business processes

What is most valuable?

The system is reliable and the backbone of financial and other core systems in many organizations worldwide.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our business processes.

What needs improvement?

Interfaces (downstream and upstream) End user interface (UX design) Performance The EBS Design to some extent is still monolithic. Maintenance activities still require a lot downtime.

I have used the solution for five years.

Customer Service: Satisfactory. Technical…

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our business processes.

What needs improvement?

• Interfaces (downstream and upstream)
  • End user interface (UX design)
  • Performance
  • The EBS Design to some extent is still monolithic.
  • Maintenance activities still require a lot downtime.

I have used the solution for five years.

Satisfactory.

Support on Unix platforms is good.

I used Oracle Applications 11.0.3. This was an upgrade (out of place) to 12c.

It is very complex as its tightly coupled with business processes and also involves a very large number of interfaces.

Vendor plus in-house.

it_user516645
Oracle ERP Specialist and Solution Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers integration for business areas in one database.

How has it helped my organization?

As the brand name says, Enterprise Resource Planning, and that's all. It offers integration for all business areas in one database.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvement in the overall UI.

We have been using this for more than 20 years.

Technical support is fair.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvement in the overall UI.

We have been using this for more than 20 years.

Technical support is fair.

it_user517470
Senior General Manager Information Systems
Valuable features include expense management and the accounting suite of products. I would like to see more automation.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our efficiency and time to market.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more automation.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Customer service is good. Technical Support: Technical support is good.

We used a home-grown solution.

How was

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our efficiency and time to market.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more automation.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

Customer service is good.

Technical support is good.

We used a home-grown solution.

The setup was moderate.

We implemented through an SI.

The ROI has yet to be calculated.

Be careful.

We evaluated SAP.

What other advice do I have?

It is better to work out the requirements properly and minimize the customizations.

Senior Developer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
​Whenever you are growing, you get new products on the database server level, application server level and software. It definitely grows as your needs increase.

• "It's quite secure and fast, and we get an end-to-end solution."
  • "They started on the mobile app and tablets, but still I see there are no short-forms used in EBS."

What is most valuable?

It's quite secure and fast, and we get an end-to-end solution.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

They started on the mobile app and tablets, but still I see there are no short-forms used in EBS, which are not I’m seeing coming on the tablet. Maybe increasing that will help because now everyone carries their tablets and handheld devices. You don’t need to go back to your seat and do anything if you are in the store or anything: warehouse.

You don’t need to spend time going back from there, you can solve the issue.

I’ve been using it for the past 13 years (approximately).

I started using Oracle applications from around 2003, from version 11.9 onwards. I have done some work on 10.7 as well, and from there, onwards.

It’s quite stable. Wherever you have issues you can get some patches on a one-off. We have CPU half-yearly and all those kind of things that makes it like whatever known issues, you can get rid of those beforehand.

Overall, support is good. Earlier, we used to have MetaLink, now we have support with Oracle.com. We can pay the Support Representative or we can find so many documents and all that, but still there is a thing if you need anything development related, then SRs and getting solution may take up to years of time. That is a kind of thing I’d like to get rid of.

If a person is knowledgeable, it’s good enough.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely I’d say data and different application, new servers and 12c and Database, all these have very cool features and In-Memory and EBR.

They should use these things more to get the most out of the solution.

it_user521694
Oracle Application DBA Consultant at a leisure / travel company with 10,001+ employees
It's a very cool technology to manage the financials, payroll, manufacturing units, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

Primarily, performance and responsiveness, and also, good support.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm basically an administrator, so I don't know much about the business functionality, but I feel it's a very cool technology to manage the financials, payroll, manufacturing units, et cetera.

What needs improvement?

I don't think so. As far as I know, it's doing its best in pretty much all the areas. As of now, I can't tell anything.

For the past six years I've been working as an administrator for Oracle E-Business Suite.

I believe it's pretty stable. I think it's one of the best ERPs available as of today.

I think they're pretty responsive.

Basically, most of the time, usually we go through the normal process of creating a service request, and at times, if there is a major issue or any critical problem, they would step in and they personally help out the customer.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely encourage anybody to start using the E-Business Suite as an ERP solution. I think most of the companies are using it. Oracle applications are so popular that many customers are already using it.

it_user436182
Finance Professional at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable features are straight-through processing because we need to make sure that we have a good end-to-end process. To create a report sometimes requires a developer as opposed to just me.

• "The most valuable features are straight-through processing because we need to make sure that we have a good end-to-end process."
  • "It is still a little outdated as far as what we consider a twenty-first century software. You're still using Oracle forms, that sort of thing."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are straight-through processing because we need to make sure that we have a good end-to-end process. The biggest thing that we also look for is the ability to easily research invoices, where you can attach to the specific invoice line item the detailed payments, etc. We look at it as our biggest factor.

It's important that we can constantly be able to monitor what we've spent relative to the government's money. We always make sure that we have everything in proper order since it is not our physical money. It is somebody else's.

We are an integrated contractor, which basically means that we are contracted by the United States government to operate a program specific to their needs, and to ensure that the program is spending their money correctly, and to make sure that we come in on-budget or even under-budget for the government. We would definitely need to ensure that whatever we do is very much in line with all of the government polices and regulations. We need to ensure that a software that we utilize adheres to that.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest thing that we utilize EBS for is mainly Finance and HRMS. Those are our two biggest modules that we utilize within EBS. So we want to make sure that whatever we are utilizing it for will be easy for the employee to gain access to say, their HR data, or for our acquisition management department to be able to see where the invoice stands in the process of being paid. Those are just a couple of examples.

What needs improvement?

It is still a little outdated as far as what we consider a twenty-first century software. You're still using Oracle forms, that sort of thing. Payables is a prime example: there's the web interface and then the forms interface and we hate having to switch between the two areas. To create a simple report, at least in my opinion, sometimes requires a developer versus just me, as the user, going in and doing what I need to do. It's extremely difficult to do some data mining on a whim. If there's something repetitive in nature, then we can set it up with a developer, it works, but in our opinion we know that things could work better than the way they are currently.

We've really had no issues with deployment.

The current version that we're on, which is 12.2.4, is decently stable. However, the problem is that the system doesn't allow for us to have a lot of users on it. The hardware that we have is able to run beautifully when there's not a lot of people on. I equate it to, 'The machine's a Ferrari, you can't tow a boat with a Ferrari.' Essentially, the system will go fast when it's allowed to go fast, without the bogging down of users, but that's one of our problems right now. It seems to be that multiple users on the system have caused a lot of back-log.

So far, it seems like we can do a lot of things with EBS relative to customizations. We don't seem to have any real restriction in that area. But some things like, me as the cash manager, setting up banks tends to be a lot more cumbersome than it should be. There seems to be a lot more involvement with doing those types of basic things than they should be in the real-world sense. It seems to be a little bit more like it was geared towards a developer to set up the bank rather than a professional.

Since I'm not the support side of things in the organization, I don't directly deal with technical support, but there are people, such as DBAs and developers, who have been in talks with Oracle about some of the issues. They didn't seem like they had any real problems other than some of the solutions are a little slow to come about. It could be because our organization is very unique, some of the solutions that might need to happen could be a little bit more involved with trying to develop a solution that we need. I don't think we've had a situation, however, where we weren't able to get the needed support.

I wasn't actually at the company at the time, but for upgrades for which I've been apart, they did seem to be a little bit more difficult. A lot of it could be on our end, mainly because of how we do a lot of customizations. We had to do these customizations, unfortunately, because E-Business Suite didn't allow for a specific industry like ours to have more to an 'out-of-the-box'-type of developed software. There was a lot of customization. Now, they have improved from version to version, but for our business, we're still very much away from being cloud-based. Our software sits on a non-internet network. It really is hard for us as an organization to sometimes do business in the environment of, 'Everyone wants to move to an internet system', i.e. the cloud. There are organizations such as ours that have trouble at this point being on an internet-based system.

With our customizations, it stopped a lot of the upgrade that we just had last year. When we did the upgrade, a lot of these customizations were a constant battle where one would not work, another would work, and then when you'd fix one, something else would happen. There were a lot of issues, which we are, as an organization, trying to pull away from customizations. Oracle has not really been geared a lot towards what our line of business was. We have to do a lot of customizations in order to allow for that software to work as we need.

What other advice do I have?

Minimize your customizations if you can. If not, get a lot of training because a lot of the screens are not as intuitive. I'm kind of a rare breed, I guess, as I do have some 'IT sense', so I can maneuver through screens, but when it comes to other people in my group who are really not 'IT minded' at all, they're usually asking me for help when there are some set-ups in their own modules. Setting up is the biggest key, and if you mess that up it's going to propagate the rest of your EBS experience, so you need to have a proper set-up.

it_user521856
Sr. Director (Technical) at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Its integration with Oracle Database is valuable. The UI needs improvement. They need to get rid of Java.

What is most valuable?

The functional knowledge is the most valuable feature. Oracle EBS has many different problems, but I think the main feature is the functionality, how it works together. You can probably find other products that work with Oracle database, but because that’s their own product, EBS tightly integrates with it. I think that's the most valuable thing.

How has it helped my organization?

We needed to use financial software, anyway. I think it comes from the historical fact that we had Oracle software; we always had Oracle Database. So, from a licensing point of view, it made perfect sense. It integrates well.

We have a very strong presence from the PL/SQL developers point of view. We have good resources. We have a lot of in-house developed software and it has to integrate with Oracle. We do a lot of invoicing and so on feeding into the Oracle EBS system from our in-house system.

It was natural. The system is naturally a good fit, actually.

What needs improvement?

Their UI is not the best. It is an area with room for improvement, big time. I think they can go completely out of Java, the applet version. If they make it completely browser driven, like HTML and so on, that will be the best. Today, once in a while, it'll get out of sync. You don't have the latest version of Java. It uploads a whole slew of Java products and applets, which is very heavy-duty stuff. It doesn’t have to be.

These days, actually, everybody uses HTML-related stuff. They have started using it. It's a mix of both, actually, but they're not there yet. That's why you see a lot of other products that complement it.

I met one company at an Oracle conference that did just the re-skinning, just because their skin is not up to the mark; there's a lot of outdated stuff.

I would say 12.1, we upgraded two years ago. At this point, we are a little bit stable. We do have sometimes hanging systems, but I think it's mostly stable now.

We do have some problems sometimes, but we are a small shop, we have 35-40 users, so it's not a huge shop. If you have a 200-something, or 500, users, I think they definitely would have issues. Personally, I haven't encountered many problems.

Once in a while, I'll have some problems. I'll have to restart the system. If it's in the middle of the day, we have all the users get kicked out, and then just a restart. It doesn't happen that often.

It was not easy to set up.

That's actually one of the reasons we use Salesforce; we're loving it. We use Salesforce for our sales and marketing; no software, no maintenance. I have only a 2-3-person team. I myself oversee the department. I have one developer and one support person. Effectively, that support person is not even 100%, so he probably uses 20% of our time, maybe sometimes a little more than that. The developer is very rarely used. If you add all these three persons, it's not even one person who is actually managing the entire team.

Oracle, oh, my God. I have a team for hardware; you need some Oracle-related hardware stuff. Of course, they're not only doing the Oracle stuff, but you have to have someone. We have an Oracle apps DBA. I'm outsourcing that one. I have a functional guy; he uses 25% of his time now, but at one point, he was using 50% of his time. We also have our in-house PL/SQL developer. You can see how many people. It’s a lot of resources. Oh, man.

Upgrading is a nightmare. I mean, I shouldn’t describe it as a nightmare, but I get nervous whenever they upgrade. It's a lot of work; a lot of coordination; a lot of testing and all those things.

If it was in the cloud, I wouldn't worry about any of those things.

We did look at other products. We did look at Workday, and Salesforce also has a product called FinancialForce. Actually, the Workday partners are very, very expensive. They force you to choose one of their suggested partners; Oracle doesn't have that problem. I get it dirt cheap from somebody from India, Brazil, or somebody else, and I can get it done. As much as Workday’s licensing costs, it costs as much for doing the implementation. I wouldn't do that, but maybe there are companies who will do that. If I have to do that, no, not in the route, unless there is some overwhelming benefit in the 5-7 year timeframe.

We also looked at NetSuite, but not as much as Workday. We actually were thinking of doing more on that, but we didn't have anybody come to our site to show that.
With FinancialForce, they had some other comment there that they would not be pursuing that direction. We didn't feel comfortable that they would keep it for a long time or not.

What other advice do I have?

You have to have patience, and be willing to spend more time due to the fact that eventually it pays off. Sometimes, the first impression is the best impression. Oracle EBS is not that. The first impression might be terribly bad, but once you get through there, you dig deeper, you'll get your money's worth.

They are not super efficient in the cloud business yet. They are getting there. We are using it on-premises. Fusion is the cloud-based offering for EBS. We never went that route. We're not comfortable yet.

it_user522246
IT Manager at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It matches with our requirements and pulls the data from an instance that is nowhere related to the Oracle Applications.

What is most valuable?

It matches with our requirements and pulls the data from an instance that is nowhere related to the Oracle Applications; it pulls out exactly what we require.

How has it helped my organization?

In one shot, we know what is happening. For example, if someone submits something from Salesforce, it immediately shows what the outcome. This data you can either transmit or not transmit. In this way, it is helping not only us but the customers as well.

What needs improvement?

We didn't go with the standard features of the Oracle SOA Suite in which the Oracle APIs were included; these APIs we wrote on our own. That might be the issue for us. If we had to use the standard ones, which were a part of the Oracle SOA Suite, it could have been better for us.

Rarely, we have experienced any downtime issues. That might be because of the DBS alerts that are missing.

It has scaled a little to our needs. I would give it a 6/10 rating for its scalability.

When we have to open a ticket with the technical support, it is resolved in a timely manner. However, for this purpose, we are not using the Oracle SOA support team; instead, we are using RemedyForce, which is a part of SFDC.

We did not look at any other solutions before because we got an analysis done by the Oracle team itself. They analyzed everything and recommended it to us.

What other advice do I have?

I'm really happy with this product.

There is a new software called MuleSoft that has come up and is similar to this product. I want to review it to see if it is better than this one. I have heard it is more simple to deploy than the Oracle SOA Suite.

it_user521625
Sr. Program Manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
We are using it for our entire supply chain flow management.

What is most valuable?

This is our ERP and we are using it for our entire supply chain flow, i.e., from the start of the billing to the shipping process. We are using the Oracle E-Business Suite for mainly our supply chain management.

What needs improvement?

We are looking for improvement in the response time that we get.

In addition, we are not getting regular updates in terms of their patches. Many times, we log a SR and then we get a response from Oracle that they need to apply a patch. Thus, if they can inform us ahead of time for such issues, it will really help.

I have been using this product for more than 10 years.

It's quite stable. We have had no downtime. It's working fine. It's quite stable for us.

We are looking for more scalability. It should be more scalable.

The support at Oracle is good. It's not very good but good.

The Oracle support is through the Oracle MetaLink, where you open up the Oracle SR and then get the support needed. For this, we spend at least a day or two to provide them with information and it is time consuming. Hence, I think it's good.

However, in case of any urgency, we need to go with the escalation route to get the support that is needed and need to go over the issue with them. We need to struggle in terms of getting the right support. They have support in both the US and Indian time zones. Sometimes, we don't get the right support person in the Oracle SR call and that is also one of the struggles that we have with Oracle.

It is straightforward and quite good. In the Oracle application, we don't have an issue with that.

What other advice do I have?

We are looking for reliability whilst selecting a vendor. They should be more knowledgeable in the supply chain area. They should have proper knowledge in the domain area and that's what we look for.

it_user522042
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The procurement and inventory features are valuable.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the records management, procurement, and inventory.

I have been using it for several years.

We have not had any downtime.

It is very scalable. It will grow as my company grows.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product.

What is most valuable?

I have been using it for several years.

We have not had any downtime.

It is very scalable. It will grow as my company grows.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're Oracle Gold partners.
it_user522012
Oracle Apps at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use Financials, so we like the integration between APAR, PO, and fixed assets.

What is most valuable?

Basically, the most valuable feature is the suite; basically, your integration between APAR, PO, fixed assets. We're using Financials.

What needs improvement?

Again, integration: The reason I'm mentioning this is, basically, you can have an ERP ordering system, and it doesn't have to be Oracle. Also, it's not really an ordering system; it's not friendly, for that matter.

Maybe more real-time; that would probably be better.

I have been using it for about 15 years. The company has had it maybe four years.

It's fairly stable. We haven't really had any big issues.

We believe it is scalable. We certainly have to change our process, and maybe have to acquire more products, but we think Oracle will be able to provide all of our needs.

Technical support is OK. They're no better or no worse than other companies. You have to know what to do. Basically, for us, when we go to support, we're prepared. We make sure we have all our data – from our financial system or whatever – ready, so we will save time.

However, we do find, sometimes, depending on the time of the day, if you open the support ticket with Oracle, let's say, if you're doing it in the afternoon, or late afternoon, then it actually goes to Asia-Pacific. That problem, basically, is that you won't get any updates in the morning, if we try to. You would get something in the afternoon. If it's not urgent, maybe that's OK, but we'd like to have something, basically, in the same time zone, at least.

For one thing, there are not many things available out there. Oracle bought them all, basically. Oracle is basically a local company for us. It's pretty easy to use, so that was another one of the reasons. Also, at the time, my company was trying to go IPO. They couldn’t really claim all the financials from the spreadsheets. You have to have some kind of ERP system, so Oracle was one of the options.

Initial setup really depends on the module. It’s not very consistent, I think because different people have developed the different modules. You have to get used to it.

What other advice do I have?

When we are selecting a vendor to work with, we look for a couple of things. One simple thing: basically, it has to be logical. Meaning that, whatever application's there, it makes sense to use. Also, it should be easy to implement and easy to support. Hopefully, it will work with our other systems. We also look at ease of use.

it_user521688
Senior Manager, Information Technology (Oracle) at Expedia, Inc.
Manual activities are being automated. We don't spend hours generating invoices and accounting reports.

What is most valuable?

Oracle E-Business Suite is a financial and accounting reporting tool that we use for accounts payable, creating invoices, and accounts receivable. We process a lot of transactions, so the greatest benefit is that all manual activities are being automated. We don't have to spend hours to generate invoices and accounting reports. All the manual insurance processes have been automated, making it easy for the business to handle day-to-day business activities.

What needs improvement?

I think the standard reports in the AR and the GM modules need improvement. I would like to see a few new reports, including customized reports and summaries.

We have been using Oracle for almost five years.

Oracle E-Business Suite is quite stable. We did have some challenges when we when we started, but now it is more or less stable. The system was not initially optimized to find the transaction database. When we upgraded our systems in May, it took almost two to three months before our Oracle E-Business Suite implementation matched the business systems. Now everything is working smoothly.

We use technical support very often. We open service requests, and if the ticket level is a seven, we see a good response. They need to improve on their turnaround time on the Sev 2 and Sev 3 service requests.

We used to be PeopleSoft, which was a financial system, and it was not meeting all our business requirements, and was not scalable. That's why we switched to Oracle. Additionally, Oracle is more compatible with PeopleSoft than SAP.

When we introduced Oracle E-Business Suite, I was part of the implementation team. We used to be PeopleSoft, so I was part of the PeopleSoft internal auditing team, and I was also involved with the upgrade. The new implementation was very challenging because we needed to do a lot of customization. There were also many new business requirements at that point in time. But, when we later performed an upgrade, it was not too complex.

We did evaluate SAP, but found Oracle to be more compatible with our financial systems.

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criteria is that the applications be more customer centered, and that manual activities are automated.

Oracle E-Business Suite is a very awesome product. It has a lot of capabilities, and you can gain a lot of business knowledge through it.

it_user522249
IT Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
With one database and one instance, we can operate in more than six countries across the world with a small IT staff.

What is most valuable?

For us, the most valuable feature is that we have one database, one instance; yet we operate in more than six countries across the world, so it makes it easy for us to run with a very small IT staff.

What needs improvement?

Its features are good, but I think they need to look around at the other products in the market. There are a few industry standard features which are missing from this product. We are discussing one of these with them where synchronizing calendars across different countries is a big thing.

On the reporting side, they should give financial reports more in AxelBase to filter and sort data to make it faster and easier to close the books.

The other area is definitely the support side. Turnaround time needs to be faster. They need to improve working with the end user, and asking very specific questions to help resolve an issue. People should collect different types of information before sending the problem back and forth.

As a company, we've been using it for five years.

It didn't start that way; but at this point, it's pretty stable. Don’t forget there were improvements in the reporting side, the performance side, and in the UI experience.

I would say that it is scalable.

I have good and bad experiences with Oracle support. Sometimes it's very difficult to open up an SR, to keep it open, and to get a timely answer when you need it. It feels like everything has to be marked severity 1, critical, 24/7: sometimes in order for it to get something done. They might have heard that a lot, obviously.

We often have problems if we have to cross teams. If I have a problem, and then all of a sudden they decide, "That's receivables," so now you have to open a separate ticket with receivables. Receivables work differently than everyone else, so you're going to have to prioritize it higher and make it 24/7. It can be frustrating sometimes that all the support teams don't work similarly.

It's okay, but the real pain comes when you're moving from one area to another. Configuring the APR system is not that easy and it is not easy to get something out of it that you configured. You need to keep on working on an environment’s configuration to bring it up to speed. Now, you're sure this environment is all up-to-date, and everything is working fine. Now, we need to move into the next environment where people are going to test the system.

Currently, there is no automation for migrating an entire configuration to a different instance. You need to manually resolve all the errors. It is very difficult to even identify where and what went wrong. If you are really senior, and you have a lot of experience working on it, then it might easy for you to go and see, "We are missing that."

It would also benefit from a full-fledged comparison when something went wrong. If we could run something that will identify, "Here is the configuration here.This is a mismatch." That would also work well.

it_user521943
Project Lead (Oracle Apps Technical Consultant) at Tech Mahindra
It provides an end-to-end flow.

What is most valuable?

We have a lot of modules such as finance, receivables, and so on. The end-to-end flow is there. The features that Oracle has provided are good as an end-to-end solution. We use that and it's good, actually.

How has it helped my organization?

They have provided a lot of front-end programs, with which we can import data from different systems. Data from various systems comes through a single system. Then, from that data, we can generate the reports. That one single system gets data from many downstream systems.

The main thing is, if you want additional functions or any customization, you can also do that on top of the product. That route is more beneficial.

With reports, we have various options. We can generate reports in a particular format, and so on, with various options.

What needs improvement?

Right now, I don’t think the version that we are using supports mobile devices. I think it is on the desktop only, although we can select laptops. I’d like to see a mobile version.

It’s pretty stable.

As I’ve mentioned with the customization, you can do that. So, in that way, it's scalable.

Actually, I believe I was using Oracle already, but that was on the database side. That was limited to my field only, and so that's the reason I moved.

I was not involved in actually setting up the product, but I am involved in some of the customization we do. Sometimes we have to do setup, but that is not initial setup. We make some modifications.

Setup was mostly straightforward; it was not that complicated. We had some user manuals and some recordings, which made it easier.

From the beginning, we were only using Oracle. It's not a small product, it's a big company. Going from Oracle to another vendor would be very costly. That's why they are not thinking about it. Maybe for the next 5 to 10 years, my company will be using only Oracle, but I'm not completely sure.

When I’m choosing a vendor such as Oracle, I look at all factors such as scalability, price and so on. Nowadays, there is a lot of freeware available in the marketplace. We look at performance but also at big data. For example, Hadoop is freeware, so price is definitely one of the factors.

What other advice do I have?

The kind of features they have provided is very helpful. It's very user friendly.

Look at the features Oracle provides and also at the customization options. For some products, there are limitations; for example, you cannot customize it. We can directly do the customization in the Oracle application. It’s not like we are developing some third-party application, and from there importing the data. We can directly customize the main application; this way, it is easier. Nonetheless, there are some risks involved with that as well… :)

it_user521904
Accountant at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It gives us real-time information.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its ability to give us real-time information.

What needs improvement?

Of course, we'd like to see those reports re-introduced. Right now, we have more reports for the general ledger module. We would like more reports for the other modules: fixed assets, AP, revenue, and so on. That's where the problem is.

I have been using it since 1997, 19 years.

It has not been consistently stable. One time, when they did an upgrade to R12, it messed up some of our reports. That's why we went to GL Wand for some of our reporting solutions.

We’re still using this solution day-to-day. We're still sticking with it, of course. We just kind of make do with what we have right now.

Technical support has been fine. We haven't had any problems. Whenever we’ve had a hiccup or something, there's always been a representative to help us. They're knowledgeable and the response time is okay.

The initial upgrade, as I’ve mentioned, took away some of our valuable reports that were in the original Oracle EBS. That was really annoying.

The other thing was that, when we did the upgrade, it brought up some bad data from prior years. It took a few years to figure out what was going on. It still, even to this day, four years later, still pops up information from 10 or 11 years ago. Luckily, we're not a big, big company; we're just a local government.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, we kind of solved our reporting issues in the general ledger part with GL Wand, or Excel4apps, but we're still trying to figure out the other modules through custom reporting. It’s taken time. I really wouldn’t have an answer for anybody.

I like to work with vendors who have a good reputation and good customer support.

it_user521550
Manager, IT Applications at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is an integrated solution and it is stable.

Valuable Features

It's integrated. For any ERP solution, that’s really where the value comes in; just one solution to cover a whole bunch of areas and having the integration.

Use of Solution

I have been using it probably 20 - 25 years.

It is very stable. From an internal standpoint, nothing is going to drag it down.

We did recently have an issue with the supplier network, Oracle Supplier Network, where some certificates were changed that caused a brief outage for us. But that's the exception, not the rule.

It is scalable. We're not a huge company but we haven’t had any issues with that. I have run it at much larger organizations with no issues there.

Technical support is mediocre. It used to be a lot better. The last 10 years or so, it's degraded, where it's hard to get an expert that can really help. It seems to be, a lot of times, their preference is just to get it back in your court and not necessarily help but put the onus on you and hope that you take a few days to respond and then it'll auto-close.

Initial setup is complex. I think any ERP is going to be a complex setup. That's just the nature of the beast.

Usually you'd have a partner that can add the bandwidth. I know we did an upgrade about three years ago. We had a partner come in and help us with that. It's a probably nine-month project, end to end, to do a major upgrade from 11 to 12.

Other Advice

When I start working with a vendor such as Oracle, expertise is a requirement that I look for. Ultimately, it comes down to the team that you're getting from that partner. I always say the best partner in the world still has a B team, and the worst partner in the world still has an A team. Your job is to find that A team in whatever partner you choose.

it_user416409
Project Manager, Oracle ERP Implementation Project at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The Oracle Process Manufacturing module provides custom production, raw material conjunction and finished good tracking.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features of the product are Oracle Process Manufacturing, the module for custom production, raw material conjunction and finished good tracking; Oracle Cash; Procure to Pay; and the full circle. Finally, the Oracle financial module, the journal, the provisining and the balance sheet are also valuable. The whole product is good. It's difficult to distinguish actually because it is an integrated product.

Room for Improvement

We are now working on ASM Cloud and CX. We have already spoken with Oracle and we’ll probably implement it on February 17.

Use of Solution

I have been using it for 10 months, from the first of January 2016.

It's a stable product. There are bugs in every IT product. Oracle also has some but their service and support is very good. You can get service from the middle level or you can raise an SR and get 24-hour service. If any issues arise, either we can fix them or they can fix them. There's no problem.

I’ll mark scalability as 70-30.

When I have faced any problem with the database table, if there’s something wrong at the application level, or when I am applying the patches, I just raise an SR, a service request with the Oracle support team. Based on the priority, they will provide feedback. The last couple of months, I have been getting some good feedback from them. From that point of view, the service is good.

Setup is always complex because you have to choose the server configuration, hardware configuration, bandwidth, and so on. On-premise setup is always very difficult. Now that services are cloud-based, it is Oracle’s headache, not my headache.

Other Advice

Buy and use this product. It's a good product. I'm using it and I've benefited. Buy and use this. There will be challenges.

it_user521910
Consultant/Solution Architect at Sunrun
It connects to a lot of our backend systems such as manufacturing, payroll, and HR.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is mostly the integration process that connects to a lot of our backend systems, such as manufacturing and other processes that do payroll, HR, and those things. There's a kind of integrated solution system.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a single-point solution, where we use one application that connects to a lot of systems, as opposed to trying to buy multiple best-of-breed systems or integrating them together; instead of having a lot of features in one system. It is easy for us to maintain and support the system, as well.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more connections with the third-party application, such as banks and credit card companies. They could develop a seamless integration. Right now, we use batch processing for sharing the data that comes out of a file system. We would like to have that online connection, a real-time connection, where you can go and pull the data whenever you want.

We've been using it for five or six years now.

Stability is great.

We have had some patching issues, but at the end of the day, once we patch it out, and we bring up the applied solution, it works.

I would not see scalability as an issue, but we are not a large company, as such. We have around 2,000-plus employees at the company, but we do run all kinds of applications on it. It's pretty decent. We have not had any issues.

We worked with Oracle On Demand and with support. Most of the time, they are great. Because we are a support customer, we have a big advantage there. They are responsible for managing our systems. We go with them, and log whatever the technical request there. Most of the time, we get resolutions fast.

We were initially a start-up company. We looked at Oracle, but initially, for a start up company, Oracle is not the most suitable option, but we know that our company is going to grow, so the solution had to scalable. We chose Oracle because it has the most scalability for us to go and do that.

Initial setup was complex because it extends to a lot of our applications’ integration points. Once you find out the solution, what to do then, the next time, it kind of streamlines the process.

When we were making the decision, we looked at a lot of other companies such as NetSuite and PeopleSoft. Given the Oracle presence and a lot of technology support available in the Bay Area, and being a company in the Bay Area, we chose Oracle as the best product for us to go with.

What other advice do I have?

Look into the Oracle product and see if it will satisfy your requirements. Then, instead of buying 10 different products and integrating them, maybe you'll see that a product provides 80% of those benefits; go with that product, which I think Oracle does.

The most important criteria when I’m choosing a vendor such as Oracle is knowing that when new products come out, they will increase our company’s efficiency in terms of managing scalability, see that we can run these applications, and maybe they will help us increase sales and productivity. That's what we look for in most of them.

They are continuously improving the products, making sure they are staying with the competitors to make sure that they are following the industry standards and bringing customers up to speed so that we can use industry leaders.

it_user522030
Database Admin at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Everything is done electronically, so the process is more transparent and accurate.

What is most valuable?

It is paperless; all of the human resources transactions, all of the travel expenses, all of the procurement. No paper; everything is done electronically. The process is more transparent, more accurate, very cost saving; then, high availability.

What needs improvement?

For ERP-wise, we would like to measure employee performance more; what projects they work on, how many hours they spend on each project, to provide employee performance metrics. I think something is missing there. We would like something like that.

I have been using it for two years.

We have some glitches. We have some application server memory issues that generate huge Java dump files. Then the workflow process is broken because the mail server goes down periodically.

Our company is a fairly small company; we only have 800 employees. We don’t think in the next five or 10 years that the growth will be phenomenal. That's why our current setup will be sufficient.

Support is very good. We also have a management service provider. We work with a company called Emtec that provides management services. Because our IT team is fairly small, we need extra help. They do a good job.

We didn't have a consolidated ERP system, so that's why we migrated to Oracle ERP. We had several small applications working together; the integration is really a challenge.

When we select working with a vendor such as Oracle, we like to choose the industry leader, because the company will be there for a long time. They have the reputation, they have the knowledge, they have the full suite. With some companies, one part of the product is very good, but they don't have the whole solution. We want a one-stop shop to solve all of our problems.

Initial setup is very, very good; straightforward.

When we implemented it, we used another company, AST. Their two-year contract has ended, which is why I chose Emtec. Overall, AST did a very good job. They do the job from scratch: so many app servers, so many test environments, dev environments, and production environment. We use Hyperion; we use BI; we use the EBS. That integration is very complex to understand, initially. Overall, we understand the whole thing.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Oracle’s E-Business Suite, of course; it’s a no-brainer.

it_user522915
IT Validation Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
The Order Management and Financial modules are easy to use and customizable.

What is most valuable?

The Order Management and Financial modules are the product’s most valuable features because they are easy to use, customizable and useful. Order Management manages sales orders, shipment transactions, customers data, list prices, etc. The Financial module manages all aspects related to payments, receivables, invoices, budget, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Thanks to Oracle EBS, we can manage all company processes (inventory, manufacturing, logistic and finance) on one platform.

What needs improvement?

The Oracle Process Manufacturing (OPM) module manages full end-to-end traceability with embedded quality and multiple cost methods that provide complete visibility into plant operations. At the moment, we have an old version and it is an area of the product with room for improvement.

I know that the new version has been improved and it works better; some bugs has been resolved, some features are improved.

I have been using it for 10 years.

I have not encountered any stability issues. Over the last two years, some patches were not applicable because of the new release. We are considering upgrading to the new version.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is good. You can contact support to ask a question or to open a request. The first type of contact is immediate, as in you ask the question in a forum and the answer is immediate. This is for basic knowledge or for small problems. On the other hand, a request is a particular issue and you can show a critical problem that often requires a patch or running a script. I have tried using both of these and I have almost always received some answer.

I did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was quite complex because ERP can manage a lot of processes; therefore, a company must consider what it wants to manage and set up.

I think that there are two efficient ERP platforms, SAP and Oracle; they are similar in term of price and licensing. The other platforms are for small or medium companies.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options because we have Oracle knowledge inside the company.

What other advice do I have?

ERP is quite complex to manage. Therefore, it’s necessary to have a DBA, some developers and functional resources. In addition, the price is consistent, and the product is very reliable.

it_user436152
Chief, Application Management Branch at a government with 501-1,000 employees

Valuable Features

For us, the Finance module is the most valuable piece of E-Business Suite.

Improvements to My Organization

With the Finance module, we can manage our finance organization from a single system for accounting purposes. This is important to ensure that we have consistent financial information across our organization.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see Oracle continue to optimize it by making it faster. The functionalities are pretty good as-is, but they just need to make it function faster.

Use of Solution

I've been working with it for about two years. The installation I'm working on has been around for 10 years roughly.

We have no issues with deploying it.

We haven't had any issues with crashing or downtimes or anything due to the product. It's been pretty stable, in our experience.

I believe it is scalable. I think it is one of the industry leaders for financials. Currently, we are roughly about a terabyte of data using it and have had no problems scaling it for our needs.

We've found that technical support has been challenging as they are not always the most forthcoming with information nor are they the most highly-trained techs when you open SRs. There have definitely been issues there, especially compared to the costs that you pay for the support.

Other Advice

There's always room for improvement, but we're overall happy with it.

it_user486585
Financial Systems Manager at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees

Valuable Features

Oracle gives you the capability to do anything you need to do in multiple ways. There are different avenues to achieve the same result, and you can pick the one that best fits your company’s policies and procedures.

Improvements to My Organization

It's an end-to-end ERP solution. From a work order to financial reporting, everything is captured within one system. It's a single point of data entry, so once you enter data into the system, it flows all the way downstream.

Room for Improvement

One of the benefits is also one of the pitfalls. Sometimes users are overwhelmed by the multiple ways in which you can operate. They don't want all of that flexibility.

We're hosted, which adds a level of complexity. The system overall is stable, but our hosting partner is not the best.

We haven’t had any scalability problems. We have both small and large groups using it, and we are continuing to role it out to other organizations within the company.

We have two levels of support. My team is an internal support organization. Then, if need be, we have external support. With external support, you roll the dice. Some issues get resolved relatively quickly, while others drag on. It depends on the person working it.

Since we are hosted, we can’t do rollouts ourselves. We have to schedule them. A lot of our issues have been with our patching, since our hosting partner always seems to break something, which is frustrating. If we had the product all in-house there would be no issues. It’s relatively straightforward to set up.

Other Advice

Make sure that you understand the integration points between the different applications that you’re utilizing. You could make some major mistakes in setting it up. I would rate the product a nine out of ten. We’re pretty happy overall.

it_user27945
Manager, Database and Security at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The initial setup was pretty straightforward, and we didn't start out with any customizations or anything like that.

Valuable Features:

It essentially runs our business, from our financials to manufacturing to supply-chain to planning instances. They all tie together with E-Business Suite to keep our business on track and running.

Improvements to My Organization:

After we migrated to Oracle EBS from PeopleSoft, we had a little bit of a learning curve adopting new technology with a new look and feel. But our users have really latched onto it and learned it, and it matches up pretty well with our business process and what our users expect to be able to do.

Room for Improvement:

The biggest area for improvement would be in the area of user adoption. After we did our first upgrade and went through the whole process, our users hated Oracle. So my biggest complaint would be the lack of Oracle support for end-users to resolve their issues after that first upgrade. It just wasn't a good experience.

Use of Solution:

We implemented it back in 2012.

Stability Issues:

It's been pretty stable. Any issues that I've seen are just day-to-day, normal issues. Every now and then we might see performance issues which are easily solved with a good team of DBA who can usually diagnose the problem. From the software perspective, there are patches available when we run into bugs and other issues.

Scalability Issues:

We've had not had to scale it up at all.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was pretty straightforward, and we didn't start out with any customizations or anything like that. I think it was pretty straightforward, getting that business process around it.

Implementation Team:

We had our hosted partners and DBA team install it. I think a lot of things we had to match back were business processes from our ERP. Whatever ERP you're going to pick, there's going to be little hits against it. There are going to be a lot of things it does well and a lot of things it doesn't do so well. We seem to match up pretty good for what we're wanting to accomplish with it.

Other Advice:

Advice depends on what your business is. If you're a financial company, you might have different requirements. For a manufacturing company, like us, it seems to be the best fit for what we want to do. Again, it's your requirements and what you're trying to get done with it.

it_user436206
Oracle Applications DBA/UNIX SA at a agriculture with 1,001-5,000 employees
With the Financial Management module, our users have access to different types of analytics, such as general ledger, payables, receivables, and others.

Valuable Features:

For us, its value lies in the fact that it's an ERP solution our enterprise to manage the business well. Specifically, we have the core Financial Management module on our project which helps the business user analyze data. They have access to different types of analytics, such as general ledger, payables, receivables, and many others.

Improvements to My Organization:

It has everything in one place. We can just access one piece of software for payables, GL, PO, projects, and everything just integrates together. It's helped us to reduce data entry because we can just enter data once and it's accessible from the other modules. It certainly reduces human intervention, which in turn saves time and, ultimately, money.

Room for Improvement:

We seem to be constantly applying patches and updates to fix bugs. Oracle should really improve upon this issue, especially since it happens to frequently.

Stability Issues:

It's been stable, but we've got to constantly patch. I guess this is something we always have to do with Windows-based applications.

Scalability Issues:

It's been scaling just fine for us.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was very complex. Installing it is not bad, but it's configuring it that's difficult. It's getting the setup correct, and that's what takes time. It's company-specific, but we're pretty vanilla. Even with that, it still takes many months to upgrade. The documentation is there, but it might be helpful to have someone who's done this one or two times before.

Bill Dunham
Principal - OATC "Oracle Applications and Technology Consulting" at OATC, Inc.
Video Review
The change to the configurability of the UI is one of the most valuable features in EBS 12.

What is most valuable?

Probably one of the most valuable features that we've seen has been around the E-Business Suite change, as far as the UI is concerned. As far as the E-Business Suite 12 2.5, the look and feel has drastically changed from 11i to 12.1, to 12.2. The UI from an end user's perspective, being able to configure the UI, such that they have buttons; using it on an iPad or an iPhone, mobile application integration, all these different technologies coming together. It is kind of one of those things where the E-Business Suite's starting to get that new look and feel that has been lagging for a couple of years.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are around ease of use, trying to make those end users lives easier, to be able to make transactions, point-and-click transactions, having the ability for drop-down lists to be much easier. As far as the UI is concerned, over the years, you'd have to go through multiple tabs to put a transaction in. Now, you can go to one screen and have the options right in front of you. Pick the options you want, press save, and away you go. Oracle's trying to improve the ease of use for the end users.

What needs improvement?

As far as additional features of the E-Business Suite, I would like to see more of the framework applications in use. Oracle is slowly transitioning there. We do realize that the older form's version of the technology has a lot of intelligence built in them; very difficult for Oracle to make that migration to the new technology. Ideally, it's getting to one platform. Perhaps, the removal of Java from that integration right now. Java continues to be an issue for organizations that are running multiple products. If they have multiple products that they're using, E-Business Suite, maybe third-party products. You've got different versions of Java that are required for each. That becomes a problem. It's an ongoing issue. We do know and we've heard Oracle's heading towards some type of new solution, if you will. Certainly, trying to focus on becoming a fully frameworked product, versus the old form's technology.

As far as stability of the E-Business Suite 12.2.5, the product was released in October 2015. It's been out for several months. There are, obviously, from a patching perspective ... I'd say Oracle's improving the release. With any release of a product, there's always going to be a need for patches and things like that. Being that the product's fairly new, there's a low number of users that are actually making that transition to 12.2.5. With that, the repository of issues within Oracle support is slowly building. One user may have an issue where another has not, that issue by that one client may have the solution available to them now in the support repository.

The solution's very scalable. Oracle, E-Business Suite, the various releases, 12.2.5, 12.1, 11.5, they're being used by organizations, small and large. From very small organizations, to multi-billion dollar organizations, they're very scalable solutions.

Oracle's technical support has drastically improved over the years. The support.oracle.com, or My Oracle Support, is a very good tool. We do encourage our team members, as well as our end users, to look there first. Literally, sometimes it's trying to find a needle in a haystack. Certainly, the information's typically there, based on the search ability what you're searching for is putting specific criteria to find that. Sometimes, people are so broad that they get many, many hits. The ideal situation is putting in something very specific, that you may be able to find what you're looking for, and not having to scroll through pages and pages of results, if you will.

I think investing into, or even investigating into the products, typically, some organizations might buy the E-Business Suite, they own more product than they realize. If they buy 100% of the product, they're only using maybe 20% of the functionality. It's taking advantage of that other 80% and implementing those features and functionality into their business, that's a return on investment that some organizations don't take, for various reasons. They don't know they have a product, and perhaps they start investigating their maintenance agreement, and they find that they own something, and now they want to implement that.

Looking at some organizations, they have some folks that are dedicated to looking at new technology, it's constantly looking out to see what can be applied to the business. Some organizations don't do that; they don't have the time or resources to do that. Organizations that do, you look at them, they're fairly progressive. It's trying to, at least, maybe identify someone that can help, I'll say, support the investment that they've made into the organization. You have companies that are investing millions and millions of dollars into these products, and really only taking advantage of a very small footprint of their total ownership of the product.

The E-Business Suite, there is certainly, if you're operating or implementing, from a set-up standpoint, usually from an upgrade standpoint, the set-ups are minimal. You're always going to have some type of set-up in the application. If you're doing a fresh implementation, the setup material's available for you, step-by-step set-up documentation by Oracle. It doesn't mean that you'll get a perfect solution by the end of the day, but it'll lead you down that path of being successful.

When looking at new solutions, considering that Oracle E-Business Suite is the core, and looking at other products that may integrate; key is going to be integration. Someone that's certified, has a certified integration with the Oracle E-Business Suite, you don't want to be looking at third-party solutions that don't have the integration, those that are part of that program are basically required to keep their products at the certification level of each release of the product. That 12.2.5, they must be integrated with that. At 12.2, 12.1, 11.5.10, they've got to have their products integrated at that release. Very critical, when looking at third-party products, to integrate with Oracle E-Business Suite.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: looking at the E-Business Suite right now, having worked with the product since 1991 and looking to see where they're at today, I'd say maybe a 7. They're heading towards that fully integrated product, that new technology, like the framework technology. If they get there, I'd give them a 10. Right now, probably a 7, because we have multiple technologies we're still dealing with.

Recommendation to peers: Looking at their business requirements for selecting the product, ensuring that every time you're looking at purchasing a product, derive that selection from defined business requirements. We get some organizations that just go out and buy things, then you go back, and they figure out that they bought a product that doesn't fit the solution they're trying to solve. Really, evaluating internally, getting clearly documented business requirements, mapping those through product selection, and literally having the organization sign off on that, so you're not investing all this money into a product that may not be used, because it's not fulfilling a solution.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're partner.
Senior APEX Consultant at Insum Solutions Inc.
Video Review
The benefits of APEX and EBS is that APEX actually lives outside of EBS which means that when upgrading EBS, you don't have to do as much work to get it done.

What is most valuable?

The benefits of APEX and EBS is that APEX actually lives outside of EBS. When you develop customizations you don't have to embed them inside EBS. Now when you upgrade EBS or apply patches to it generally everything gets overwritten. If your customizations are inside EBS they get overwritten. In order to upgrade EBS you have to take those customizations out, park them on the side, do your upgrade and then take those customizations and reapply them to the product. Which is risky, time consuming, very expensive. If they're outside an EBS, in APEX that means if you upgrade everything the only thing you have to touch are the pieces of the API that may have changed in the upgrade. You don't have to do as much work to get that upgrade done.

Another aspect of it is that APEX is fundamentally PL/SQL solution with a lot of SQL. It lives inside the database. Therefore your existing EBS team who are already experts in SQL and PL/SQL can get up to speed very, very quickly with Apex. Apex is a declarative environment therefore it's a very rapid application development environment so you can do stuff really quickly.

What needs improvement?

There's a new version of APEX coming out to very, very soon, APEX 5.1 and that contains probably the last pieces of my wish list. Which would be very intuitive and easy to use, declarative set of tabular forms where's it's like a spreadsheet. You can see a lot of rows and update them simultaneously. That is a big step forward. Typically when we do conversions from Oracle forms applications, oracle forms is quite good with that multi row update and that in the past has been a weakness with APEX. This new version will completely wipe that problem out.

The scalability is really good because since APEX is inside the Oracle Database and it's just PL/SQL code with the SQL statements, it scales with the database. Which means it is completely scalable. For example shop.oracle.com which is the Oracle site for buying Oracle stuff is an APEX application. That's up 24/7, it's hit around the world, multi-lingual, you can buy the products in Farsi in German and all those languages.

Well APEX is a kind of a funny product in the Oracle space. Number one it's a no cost feature of the database. It doesn't get a lot of attention from the Oracle sales people. That's a fair comment, there's no commission for it. Therefore it's kind of like a hidden thing inside the database and a lot of people at organizations that have Oracle and very good Oracle people actually don't know it exists. That's part of what we do is we try to raise the awareness of APEX in the Oracle space. One of the big features of Oracle is if you want to do some customization and make a web application on top of an Oracle database it needs to be considered because it is a world class tool right now. Scales beautifully, it's got in their mid-tier the ORDS product, the Oracle Rest Data Services, mid-tier portion which is very light and small that has restful services which opens up the entire world to an APEX application. It can touch any database that has rest services exposed and it can go on to the cloud and if you want your list of Amazon books or go to Netflix, all of that stuff is easily available through that ORDS technology.

Training for APEX goes through several steps like anything else. You start as a beginner, go through intermediate and become senior. It's very easy to take that first step and become a very good confident beginner because it is a declarative environment all you need to do to get started with APEX is a little bit of SQL knowledge and not even PL/SQL when you start because it's all declarative. Oracle gives you some very good starting documentation. There are some good books now by the A press publisher, beginning Oracle Application Express. There's a couple of very good introduction books. If you work through those you'll be able to be very productive APEX developer.

APEX by itself is easy to learn and it's extremely powerful because it sits right sort of in the mid-tier between the Oracle backend and the JavaScript front end. The backend you since it's got a very easy interface into PL/SQL you've got all the rich environment like SQL analytics, very powerful Oracle engine underneath you and you can reach all of that stuff very, very easily from APEX. On the front end the tool gives you a lovely set of themes and templates for putting out your HTML and cascading style sheets and your JavaScript for the front end stuff. You can use APEX out of the box and get a very good user interface but if you want to customize it or brand it's nothing more than HTML, CSS and JavaScript which is all under your control.

If you're doing customization on top of an Oracle database you've got lots of competing technologies. For example ADF which is an Oracle product that Java based technology. You can use .NET. There is all sorts of other web technologies that can be used. You can even put things like Excel and Microsoft Access, those have jet engines in them that will talk to an Oracle database. All of these things can do what APEX does. A lot of that is driven by like, if you're an organization and say you've got a bunch of .NET programmers. Well if you've got .NET programmers use .NET.

Years ago I was in a small shop and we were using Visual Basic 6. Visual Basic 6 at the time was going to be deprecated by Microsoft. With this team I was looking down the road and I was looking at using Java and I was looking at using .Net going forward. Since those are heavy in the mid-tier, I was seeing maybe tiers at 2:00 in the morning for this team especially the team when they saw curly braces the Java they got with catatonic. I was really nervous because these folks were coming from like a Fox pro background and a VB park. They were just really uncomfortable with the Java stuff, .NET stuff. Then I found application express and I went back to my team, showed it to them, we got to the apex.oracle.com workspaces up which is a free cloud based solution that allows you to kick the tires. We kicked the tires and realized we were saved. We went down that road because it was very easy for my team to come up to speed very quickly with that product and we did that.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: with the current version I would say eight because like any other tool it's got its strengths and there are a few weaknesses, but I consider it a very high quality product. I've been with APEX now for over ten years. I built the farm on APEX and I've been very successful with it and many of my clients have been very successful using the product.

Basically if somebody comes to me like a young millennial says, "Okay, should I learn APEX?" The short answer for me is, "Yes." The company I am with, Insum, we've been doubling over the last few years because there's a huge amount of uptake of APEX right now. We have some very large clients here in the States some of the major banks use APEX for their production systems. We're into other large industries that have really found it very very useful and we jumped into it with both feet. We have no direct competitors because the people that theoretically are our direct competitors are basically our joint venture partners. There's so much work out there that we don't step on each other and it's growing every day.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're Gold Partners.
it_user436086
Financial Analyst at a local government
We're able to generate our financial statements and to develop our own customized reports how we want. I'd like to see the reporting improved.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features for us are the abilities it provides for us to generate our financial statements and to develop our own customized reports exactly how we want. We've found it to be very, very good for a government entity or public-sector company. We do things a little differently from most private sector companies, and most EBS solutions, except for the Oracle product, are really focused more on private industry than public. So we really need that customization capability, and it's able to be customized for a functional-level user, which is ideal for our group.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see the reporting improved. Right now, we do not own any of the hub or any of modules for financial reporting. We use this archaic thing called Discover. Discover is fine for a tech-finance person to handle, but a functional user doesn't understand it. It's not really used very well. The reports are not very pretty because we have to do a lot of extra formatting and publishing in order to do our annual reports. We actually have an additional outside system to do our annual reports. That's how bad it is.

Use of Solution

We were early adopters. In 1998 is when they went to 11i and then they upgraded in 2012 to 12.1.3.

We've had no issues deploying it.

It has been consistently stable because when we implemented it, we basically kept it vanilla. We have no customizations, and it's fully supported by a hosted Oracle group. We didn't have to do much in that instance, because we kept it vanilla.

We're the city, so there's not much growth, it's more like volume of transactions. We are one of the largest cities, or the largest city, in Virginia, so we have a lot of transactional information that we have to do on a regular basis, and being able to track that in our unique, public-sector way is very important. They have been able to sustain us for this long, and we've been fairly content with it, but we have not taken any advantage of all the automation that could be used in that product.

One of the things is the timing is very, very slow for turnaround of most things. We get handed off to different people. We do not keep the same person who started researching the problem usually following up with us. We usually feel like we have to start over every time we get somebody new to figure out what's going on. If we had somebody from start to finish, we think we probably would have gotten resolution quicker and been able to keep that knowledge base of what's happened in the past. A group, or a smaller group of people, would have been more ideal.

The initial setup was simple and straightforward because we kept it vanilla with out-of-the-box functionalities.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with our in-house team.

it_user436014
Senior ERP App Analyst at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oracle has now made taxes a separate module for E-Business Suite, and with it, the tax team knows exactly what they have access to and what issues they need to fix.

Improvements to My Organization

We had an issue in which access should be made by the tax team and not necessarily the team entering the transaction. Oracle, however, has now made taxes a separate module for E-Business Suite, and with it, the tax team knows exactly what they have access to and what issues they need to fix. The tax module allows us to set up rules for the tax team to better do their job.

Room for Improvement

We've proposed many changes to Oracle. For example, we'd like to be able to customize a single specific piece of E-Business Suite without having to customize the entire structure. I'd also like an auto-review function so that we're able to see certain information without accessing it only if the management team asks us to.

Use of Solution

We've been using it since 2004.

We've had no issues with deployment.

The stability is really 50/50 right now. It could be issues with certain pages or data, or it could be a training issue on our end.

It's scaleable. Oracle provides pretty good data plans for E-Business Suite so that you can customize using Java if you want.

The level of technical support depend on which analyst I'm getting through to. Sometimes they're pretty good, and other times they just throw their hands in the air.

The initial setup is pretty good now. Every page has help associated with it.

it_user436098
Senior Manager, Oracle Applications Support at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
SLA gives me flexibility to do things that I need without involving development.

Valuable Features:

I love SLA because it gives me flexibility. Not me, my team. I don't deal with it anymore. SLA gives me flexibility to do things that I need without involving development, not that I mind, but it's better to do it yourself. For example, adding descriptions that I need for for my Latin American business. It's a great thing. It's like a couple of clicks you have it without any development involvement. I love that. So SLA is good, AME (Approval Management Engine) is also very good. It's excellent.

Room for Improvement:

If you upgrade to 12.2.5 you won't have iProcurement problems. But if you upgrade to 12.2.4, you're going to get those in abundance. It's going to keep you employed till the rest of your life. So you upgrade to 12.2.5 to get rid of those. However, if you upgrade to 12.2.5 you will get localization support at zero level because it hasn't been added yet to the release.

So go figure, what I going to do when I have the whole world of Oracle in Latin America and I can't take 12.2.5? We opted for a broken iProcure that we're going to fix ourselves.

Use of Solution:

We've been using Oracle EBS since 1998.

Stability Issues:

Well, let's think about it. This product could be stable if it's a good support team supporting it. If there is a teams of experts supporting it, yeah, it is stable. But sometimes it becomes unstable and then a good support team jumps into it and makes it stable again.

Scalability Issues:

It's been able to scale for our needs.

it_user436149
Financial Systems Admin at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Look at your processes and your internal procedures and see if you can modify those as opposed to trying to customize the application to fit what you currently do.

Valuable Features

Being able to get all the financial data into one system that talks to each other and get our financials published every month.

Improvements to My Organization

We've been on it for so long that it's hard to think.

Room for Improvement

The mobile apps, I think, are the up and coming thing for us. To make it easier for people to do things on the go. I know that they do have a bunch of them but, in a lot of cases, you can only view information on a lot of the mobile apps. Like you can't action on any of them. I think with procurement you can't create requisitions on the mobile app. You can just see the status of them.

Oracle Alerts is kind of a forgotten application and it's great for just sending users notifications about the status of things. It's much easier than learning WorkFlow so we still use it a lot. It used to be that when email was character based you'd send out the email and everything looked great. Now when you send out an email and you try to put stuff in columns it's just clear text so the columns don't line up. They've never added the feature to be able to send the email in HTML format. That would be nice to just, I mean, it's not a big thing and it hasn't changed a lot but it would make life a little simpler.

Use of Solution

We've been a customer for over 20 years.

We've had no issues with the performance.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Pretty good. We're pretty satisfied. If we raise something to a P1 they work on it 24/7. We don't have any issues with that. We don't raise a lot of problems because there aren't that many problems anymore. We keep our customizations down to a minimum.

I wasn't involved in the initial set up. I was involved in all the upgrades thereafter. They vary, some were great some were pretty straightforward others were problems all the way along. Their migration paths, they've gotten better over the years so they're not quite as bad.

Other Advice

I would say look at your processes and your internal procedures and see if you can modify those as opposed to trying to customize the application to fit what you currently do.

it_user436191
Finance Business Systems Manager - Sr. Principal at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
For simplicity, we like to cut down on the number of interfaces that we need. It makes upgrading easier because of the integration and it helps me to oversee things from a functional perspective.

Valuable Features:

The integration of all the various modules is definitely the most valuable feature for us. We're a business outfit, so we have customers, we pay bills, and we look to Oracle primarily for products that can integrate into our existing system. If it doesn't, we look at something else, but we always start with Oracle first.

We use the billing module heavily. In fact, one of the things I was looking for were some of the new features in 12.2.4, which which include federal billing features. That's really going to be helpful for us and that's what we're upgrading to right now because we've had to have customizations before. We're hoping that the inherent functionality that we'll be upgrading to will allow us to drop some of our customizations. We try to keep our Oracle as vanilla as possible, so having those enhanced features is something that we're really looking forward to.

Improvements to My Organization:

For simplicity's sake, we like to cut down on the number of interfaces that we need. It makes upgrading easier because of the integration and it helps me to oversee things from a functional perspective. We are doing an upgrade right now, but it also makes it easier to plan for your upgrades and to follow through on those plans.

Room for Improvement:

We have project contracts for government customers, and that has been a little bit tougher to implement, because I don't think Oracle has a lot of clients on that. We implemented that about two or three years ago, but we haven't found a lot of people who are using it. What I'd like to see is not necessarily something in the functionality of the software, but rather a way to meet some of the other customers who are using the product, which would be helpful.

Also, we would like to do more with iExpense. We use iExpense right now for purchasing cards, but we do not use it for employee vouchers. I think we cannot use it two ways at the same time. We're using it right now for the purchasing cards, but we don't use it for employee vouchers. I think we would like to have more functionality in that area.

Use of Solution:

We've had it for twenty years, so it predates my tenure there. We're really simple; we are one legal entity, one operating unit, one ledger. We are embarking right now on implementing Multi-Currency as we do have some international business. We probably are going to do more with multi-org in the future, but we haven't started that yet. It's called Multi-Org, but it's not a module, it's just functionality. For example, we right now have one legal entity in the US. We just opened our office in Singapore, so if we have a need to establish a separate set of books for them, then that would be Multi-Org and we'd set up a new set of books for Singapore. But right now have everything in one US ledger.

Deployment Issues:

I've been there six years and the only big thing we've really implemented is Project Contracts. Actually, we did hire an outside consultant, because that product is quite specialized. I don't recall there being any big issues with deploying that.

Stability Issues:

It's very stable. There's a little bit of bugginess in the billing area, but generally, because we've had it for so long, we've worked out a lot of our issues.

Scalability Issues:

I think we still have enterprise licensing, for the most part, so it's easy to scale.

Initial Setup:

For one thing, we do a lot of work with the federal government, but the federal government isn't the federal government. It depends on which piece of the federal government you work with. Each of your customers in the government have different requirements and you really do have to do some customizations around billing. Because we have all these different federal government customers, some of them want the bills uploaded into a certain system that they have to process their bills, or they want the bills to be in a certain format and your other government customers don't need it in that format. We do a lot of things based on the customers’ needs, but I think the functionality in this next release is taking some of those considerations and putting them in the software, so they're there already. So the 10-34's and 10-35's that the government requires, their putting that into the Oracle functionality, whereas before we had to make those on our own.

Implementation Team:

It takes us a while, but we do things very methodically. We have not typically had outside consultants and we typically do our own upgrades. I think that that's a good thing.

Other Advice:

I would advise potential user that, if they're implementing from scratch, to really, really learn the product before they implement. Oracle is known for certain decisions you make where you come to a point to either turn right or left, and if you turn right you can't decide later to turn left. I think some people try to slam things in and take short cuts, but I've done implementations in two different companies, and I've found that doing the slow and methodical approach and really planning it out is the best way to go.

it_user436071
Software Engineer Manager at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
With all the different modules that are available, the technology stack is very good.

Valuable Features

It provides a great SLA model. Also, with all the different modules that are available, the technology stack is very good.

Room for Improvement

We do a lot of inter-company transactions, and Oracle has limitations on inter-company transactions. We would like Oracle to have inter-company transactions for more than four inter-companies, or more than five, multiple inter-companies.

Use of Solution

We've been using it for about 15 years.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We are on an slightly older version as we don't apply as many patches as Oracle recommends because we feel it's not stable. So we've definitely had some stability issues that have prevented us from moving forward for the product.

We're able to scale it for our needs.

Technical support is very knowledgeable. I think normally the Metalink support is very good and sometimes we may have to reach out to them.

The complexity of the setup depends on whether you have a lot of requirements and are using many modules. It can be as simple or complex as you make it.

Other Advice

If you have a small shop, Oracle can accommodate. If you're a big shop, Oracle can do that, too. So Oracle is a solution for every kind of business. That's what I really like about E-Business Suite.

it_user436095
IT Support at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees

Valuable Features

The integrations make it convenient for users as they only have one software package to take care of all their processes. I think that's important from a support perspective because it's like just one piece of software and we don't have to deal with different vendors. Support-wise, you don't want to talk to so many systems which interface between one vendor and another. If it's internally integrated, that saves us a lot of travel. A lot of times another problem happens during interface. Now we don't have to worry about those things with E-Business Suite and the full integrations of all the component modules.

Improvements to My Organization

It saves on cost, time, people, and human resources. It's just a very efficient solution for us.

Room for Improvement

We have some real difficulties with upgrades. Every time we perform an upgrade, we put a lot of effort into it. We perform a lot of testing, we bring in outside help, and then afterwards there's a lot of maintenance within the first few months of each upgrade.

Once we get past the difficulties and complexities of the upgrades, it deploys fine. We don't have any big issues with deployment after that.

It's a very stable product. We don't have issues with instability.

We see scalability issues when we use the Financial Statement Generator. We're in the process of moving to version 12.4, but we've had a lot of issues with FSG. With our data growing, we've seen performance deteriorating quickly. Some of the reports takes hours to generate, which, to me, is a scalability issue. We're hoping that the newer version resolves the issue, but that's yet to be seen.

Technical support is pretty good most of the time. Sometimes, though, I feel that they're throwing me the standard questions just to try and delay. I think those questions are unnecessary.

I do the setups in production, and afterwards, I'll do the support. It can be complex.

Other Advice

For me, technology-wise, it's great, and I would recommend it.

it_user436092
Business Analyst Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees

Valuable Features

We find the most value in the fact that all the modules within E-Business Suit are fully integrated into one solution. It's one place where the entire company can have access to information and functions. This is the main benefit of the product.

Improvements to My Organization

The business has all the process integrated, so if you have it in different places it would be crazy trying to do a consolidation or a financial statement or reporting for the business to have all the activity in there.

Room for Improvement

Although all the modules are integrated with each other into E-Business Suite, sometimes when you apply one patch for Accounts Receivable, for example, it can damage Accounts Payable. That's why it's important to read the ReadMe that says that touching one module will impact another. But that was highly unexpected for us. We're constantly performing patches, and it's become an area of unreliability for our business. We can't know for certain whether what we're doing with one module won't negatively affect another.

Use of Solution

I've been working here for thirteen years and we use all the financials modules, plus Property Manager. The financials modules we use are Procurement, Purchasing, General Ledger, Projects, Fixed Assets, Payables, and Receivables.

The implementation was fine. We would have loved to have something like SAP where you just perform the configuration in one instance and you can just put it back into a new instance so that you don't have to configure it again or use another application for that. But otherwise, E-Business Suite is a good tool.

I refer back to the issues when patching one module will affect another module. It's stable, otherwise.

It's scaled well for our needs.

Oracle will always have little bugs here and there. Fortunately, we have a very strong relationship with them, so whenever we had a service request that wasn't moving, we escalated it quickly. So we're OK in that regard.

I do find that sometimes first-level support doesn't know a lot and they ask the "classic" questions. Starting at level two, though, the support gets much better.

I haven't done a setup in the U.S., but I've done them in three Latin American countries. The business analysts are the implementation team and then we do the setups for the test instances. And then we go to our support team to do the configuration for UATs in Prague.

Sometimes we take advantage of all the things that Oracle gives you to go beyond just the basic stuff. We get a little creative so that there's a little more complexity to the setup in the end.

Other Advice

I worked as a contractor for Oracle for some years, and E-Business Suit is a very good tool. You will not find an ERP that doesn't give you challenges. The very first thing, even EBS or any ERP, is that you need to be clear on your processes and you have to clean them up first. Else, you're just going to put more garbage in the system and the system is so powerful that it's going to spit everywhere. It's the processes plus the data. If you can do data cleaning before or during the implementation, it will give you much more peace later on.

it_user12819
Senior IT Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
The modules are tightly integrated. We have Finance, HR, Supply Chain, and others.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is that all the modules are tightly integrated. We have Finance, HR, Supply Chain, and others. Because they're all integrated, HR data, for example, is available in the Finance and Supply Chain modules. It's an enterprise system, so integration is the best feature that it has.

Improvements to My Organization

We can efficiently access data from one module in another when necessary. This provides us with transparency of data across our different business segments.

Room for Improvement

I think the main drawback and complaints are related to the UI. It needs modernization and more user-friendly-ness. Compared to other webpage interfaces, the Oracle screens are not user-friendly, so they need to improve it. I do think, however, that Oracle is spending more time with the UI of new versions, but there are so many places where they're still using old-looking UIs.

Other areas of improvement are better and more tightly-integrated reporting tools. Most reporting today is done outside of Oracle, meaning we have to buy a third-party tool. It would help us if Oracle had a better, integrated reporting product.

Use of Solution

I have been working on it for almost 20 years.

We have no issues deploying it.

It's stable. We haven't really had issues with instability.

It's scalable for our needs and we've had no issues doing so.

Technical support is not the best and have to keep pushing. There have been a lot of times when we keep calling to get prompt support or escalations to a manager in order to get better support. This is an area that has deteriorated over time as we used to get better support. I don't know why, but with the number of clients increasing, the level of support has dropped.

The initial setup was definitely not straightforward. One reason is because we've customized the product and it's not as-is. We have so many customizations and interfaces and reports and other things, that we have to make sure that they all work with the new versions. And that takes time: for example, we did an upgrade two years ago from version 11 to 12.1.3. This was an eight-month process for us from development to testing to production. So this was a huge project.

Even when Oracle releases patches just to upgrade maybe one module, we still go through a testing just to make sure everything works. We don't just blindly put it in production because we have seen a lot of issues. We have faced a lot of issues earlier when we put up bad patches, something stops working, and then we have to fix it again. We just make sure that we test that patch before we put it.

Other Advice

It does the job. It's what we are looking for. It has a lot of features, and Oracle is constantly upgrading and adding things to that, so it's a solid product, but there is always room for improvement.

it_user436068
PMO Manager at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Setup was straightforward because we wanted to use Oracle out-of-the-box. There were a few extensions, but we wanted to adopt the processes rather than change the system to support our processes.

What is most valuable?

It immediately resolved an issue we had because, as a spin-off company, we were operating on a transitional service agreement and had to get off the previous systems. E-Business Suit allowed us to do that, having an immediate impact.

What needs improvement?

Although I don't have daily, hands-on work with E-Business Suite, I know that my colleagues are concerned with its reporting and dashboarding abilities. They'd like better reporting on data and dashboard functionalities.

We've been using it for three years.

We've had no issues deploying it.

E-Business Suite wasn't initially stable, but it has been in the last year-and-a-half.

It has scaled for our needs.

The previous solution wasn't our system, so we had to do something else. At prior companies, our executive management and some of the leadership team had experience with Oracle and always had good success. We did a lot of homework and research. There was interest in considering at least one of the manufacturing ERP systems, and we did give that solution a consideration. But from a pure finance, non-manufacturing perspective, Oracle was the way for us to go.

It was straightforward because we wanted to use Oracle out-of-the-box. There were a few extensions, but we wanted to adopt the processes rather than change the system to support our processes. We knew that there was going to be expanded scope and implementations globally. We wanted to keep it simple.

it_user436212
Director of Financial Operations at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The integration of the various modules within E-Business Suite is the key feature for us.

Valuable Features

The integration of the various, different modules within E-Business Suite is the key feature for us. For example, we use Payables, Assets, and GL, to name a few.

Improvements to My Organization

Because we're using out-of-the-box features, it's given us efficiencies in our operations. For instance, the way we use iExpress for paying invoices is an out-of-the-box functionality. We haven't had to customize anything, yet we've been highly successful in using it.

Room for Improvement

Oracle tends to be slower when it comes to bringing flashy functionalities than other, smaller entities can deliver. For us, we were eager to see a smartphone app, and now it's available and we're ready to implement it.

I learned from PeopleSoft that they already have OFAC as an engine within the product. EBS doesn't have it yet, and I wish they would because then I can integrate OFAC with my supplier database without a third-party tool.

Use of Solution

We've been a user of Oracle since 1996.

We've never had any serious issues. There have been a couple of scenarios where we were told ahead of time of a change or update over a weekend and that we might experience issues because of it.

We've had no issues with instability.

It's scaled sufficiently for our needs.

Technical support has been good. We haven't had any problems with them.

The initial setup was complex from our perspective because we were new to all Oracle products at the time.

Implementation Team

We ended up going with an outside firm to do our deployment of EBS. We just simply provided data at the time because we didn't know much about Oracle. Over time, we've become experts in some areas.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It's an expensive product, though worth it for larger businesses.

Other Advice

It's not intended for smaller entities because it's costly. For large organizations like ours, its ability to handle our data volume with stability is, for us, a perfect match.

it_user435996
Purchasing Initiatives Officer at City of Las Vegas

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for us is that it gives us the ability to process the requisitions from our end users quickly, which is tied into all of our financials. It's given us a quick, easy, seamless process to do that.

Improvements to My Organization

E-Business Suite ties together many modules -- financials, procurement, HR, and many others. So that's the biggest benefit for us: it's just one platform. We don't have to deal with a lot of different external modules. They're all tied together neatly.

Room for Improvement

I wish that it was more public-sector friendly. It just seems like with the encumbrances, they slow down the process a little bit, and most public sector entities like us use encumbrance accounting.

In the private sector, invoices are paid when goods or services are received. However, in the public sector with encumbrance accounting, funds are reserved against the budget so that there are no overages. Once funds are committed, we've agreed to purchase goods or services without having already received them. Without encumbrance accounting, we wouldn't know whether a good or service has been received until after the invoice is paid and entered into the system.

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

It's not 100% stable. As I'm a functional user, I notify IT to fix issues. Whether they do it or ask Oracle to do it, I'm not sure.

We haven't had any issues with scalability. For us, it seems to run at the same speed with the same functionality whether we have one user or a thousand.

I wish they would improve on it. For a functional user like me, technical support has been tough. With SR's, I've had to go back and forth. It seems like this is one area that hasn't improved in the ten years I've used Oracle. They have analyzers, but sometimes we just need help from Oracle support.

I was involved in the initial setup and had help along the way. The setups were easy for me, but I know that the technical portions of the install with our IT guys had some glitches.

Implementation Team

We had third-party help in some regards, but then our DBA and our system admin knew most of the areas that we needed to for setup to convert from 11i to 12.1.

Other Advice

It's complex. In my opinion, it's similar to Apple products. It's complex in nature, and once you're on it you need to stay on it. Don't be afraid of the look and feel of it, because I've been on other products and although some of the other products look and feel a little bit better at the beginning, they are all buggy. They all have their issues, and I like Oracle products.

it_user436185
Lead Business Analyst at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
A user friendly solution -- you're able to navigate and figure out where you need to go to get what you want.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature from our experience with E-Business Suite is definitely its ease of use. You do have to train people to use it, but a lot of it is just common sense. It's very user friendly and you're able to navigate around and figure out where you need to go to get what you want.

Improvements to My Organization

E-Business Suite has really improved our efficiency of going about everyday business -- so long as our users are using it correctly. A lot of that has to do with just our business processes, but the tool sets up to be very efficient.

Room for Improvement

The biggest area of improvement would be around user access and sign-in. Currently, there's no notification for changing passwords that are about to expire. Passwords simply expire without any warning.

We've had no issues deploying it.

The stability is generally good. The only real issue we've had is with runaway concurrent requests, which brings things to a crawl.

It's scaled well for us. We use it globally in 22 different countries and it's up 24/7.

Technical support is good, though it depends on which module you're asking about. Sometimes we have to escalate service requests so that they get to the relevant techs, but the service is good overall.

It was already implemented, and then I came on.

Other Advice

It's all about the data. If you don't have good data, it's not going to work correctly. It's really on the business side. They have to provide the correct data, the correct rules, and it'll work. It'll do what it's supposed to do, as long as the business provides what they need to provide.

it_user435978
Solutions Architect at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

Improvements to My Organization

We've run our business on it for 15 years now. It's provided us good functionality, good flexibility, so if we need to extend it or modify it, it's fairly easy to do, and those changes are persistent.

It's been very useful over the years and Oracle's fairly responsive to requests for changes. It takes a while for them to get through, because it takes a lot to get those processes reviewed through Oracle. It's been a good partnership for us over the years.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see more mobile applications, though I know they're working on that. It also needs simpler setups and simpler management tools. Currently the setup of mobile and some newer areas is not simple.

Use of Solution

We've been using it since 1999.

Deployment is not simple, particular with mobile applications.

It has been a very stable product. We've pretty much taken all of the recommendations that Oracle provides. We do a multi-node implementation, so we've spread it out over multiple servers so that we don't have very many performance issues. Most of the performance issues we've had are related to IO, so that's a hardware issue and not software. Again, when we do have performance issues, it's always been working in SR with Oracle and they've been very responsive.

It's very easy to scale E-Business Suite as we need more servers. We can add them and take them away as needed. During year-end, we always need more horsepower, so we just add more servers and we can take them away afterwards.

They're always hiring new people, so if you get a new person, it's somewhat chancy on getting good support, but they generally have excellent people. Eventually you can get to somebody who's excellent, especially if your problem is a challenging one. It's easy to escalate it and get it up there.

I've always thought working with Oracle support has been much better than any other vendor we've worked with. They're always improving their website and making it more helpful. I've been very pleased with their support.

it_user23346
Senior Developer at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's part of the back end of finance and they're able to do their month-end closures with much greater ease. We've been having issues gegting BI integrated into the transactional system.

Valuable Features

The reporting capabilities keep us from having to run every report for our users as they can go in and run the reports themselves. With BI Publisher, the templates are either already there or we can help them modify and customize the existing ones. Our users get data exactly the way they like it.

Improvements to My Organization

It's part of the back end of finance and they're able to do their month-end closures and other tasks with much greater ease.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to get BI integrated into the transactional system and not just the Data Mart. We've been having issues with making that happen. So, maybe making that a little easier to implement would be an area of improvement. The project summarization also needs some work, though we've heard that it's fixed in version 12.2.

We've had no issues with deploying it.

We've not had serious downtime, but we've had some issue. We run projects and we've done the project summarizations, but we've got SRs open with Oracle to work on that.

It has scaled for us, though I think we're reaching our limit on it. That's why we're going to Exadata, so I hope that that will help with the scalability.

For the most part, if it's a serious issue we can escalate to level-two support and get good responses.

I've been through two of the upgrades. We went live the year before I joined the company, but then I was involved with the 11i upgrade and the R12 upgrade. They were pretty complex. We had both functional and technical assistance for both of those upgrades. It was a lot of work and a lot of long hours. But, getting on the R12 helped with some issues we were having with the 11i.

Other Advice

You definitely need a good IT staff with the ability to cross-train. That's really what's helped us since R12 -- bringing on some of the folks we had during the upgrade and them being able to cross-train those teams.

it_user436140
Business Systems Analyst at a retailer with 51-200 employees
I like how it's standardized across our organization. It's got the same look and feel all over.

Valuable Features

I like the fact that it encompasses our whole business: everywhere from our manufacturing to our supply chain, our order cache, our whole financials -- just everything.

Improvements to My Organization

I like how it's standardized across our organization. We don't have one user with a different experience with a different system. It's got the same look and feel all over. You learn to use Oracle in one area, you can easily learn if you change positions. That's one nice thing off the top of my head.

Room for Improvement

I think it would be nice to see some streamlining of the process. There's a lot of screens to go through, a lot of levels to get down to. I see that in purchasing, I see it in accounts payable, and even AR to a degree. Sales orders is another one. When entering transactions, there are multiple tabs and multiple levels, so you can kind of get lost, especially for our new users. It's not so intuitive.

Use of Solution

I've been working with Oracle for almost 20 years now.

Ours is pretty stable, and it pretty much has been from day one.

We haven't really grown all that much as far as users or transactions that go through. It's been pretty steady, so we haven't needed it to grow by leaps and bounds. As years go on, we're getting more and more transactions in there. When you go and search something, it's been able to keep up with all of that.

There have been years where it's not so good. Honestly, in these last 5-6 years, it's been pretty solid. I've always been able to open a ticket, and if I can't find the answer myself in my Oracle support, then the ticket gets resolved fairly quickly and to a resolution, so that's nice.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I think one of the things is having Oracle in your organization requires a deep check book. It's a lot of money, and it continues to be a lot of money over the years. It's a big long-term investment.

Other Advice

It takes a lot of staff to run it. Not only do you have your Oracle staff that supports it, depending on your organization that can be anywhere from 2 to 10 people, it also includes your departments as well. Your AR, your accounts payable, and all of your finance and cost management and all of those people are required. It takes a good staff to make it work.

it_user436101
Application Engineer at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
It gives us data availability across the enterprise.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is the data availability across the enterprise from sales to manufacturing to distribution. There's also the dashboard plus it just eliminates the silos within the company. We used to have sales that operated without giving consideration to what their decisions meant to manufacturing, what an event did to the visibility and interaction. But now, all departments are able to see the effects of their decisions on other departments.

Improvements to My Organization

It's increased the speed with which we can get things done. Having that visibility of data between functional areas lets us react quicker, and lets us satisfy our customer needs quicker.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see more mobile functionality, as well as a lot more manufacturing shop floor control. I don't want to have to record information that a machine is already recording.

We're mostly happy with it. The stability issues that we have are based more on operating systems, I think, than ERP systems. Our Microsoft SQL servers have to be rebooted and the ERP system is not available, but it's not the fault of the ERP system as much as it is a Microsoft product issue.

We've had good success with scalability. We haven't had much issue with it.

We partner with a consulting firm, so all of our help desk tickets go through them. We don't deal with Oracle directly.

It took about a year and was a painful process. I would never want to do it again, but we went from a system we used for 30 years to something much more dynamic and new.

Implementation Team

We partnered with a consulting firm, and we came in on time and under budget. Can't ask for much better than that.

Other Solutions Considered

An Oracle solution wasn't our first as we selected a different solution. We failed in that implementation, and Oracle was our number two choice. We purchased the first choice and we failed, so after that we regrouped, we re-evaluated again. Oracle was again in the top three so we gave them a try.

Other Advice

What I learned is that we needed to get that solution in to run our business and then be open to the fact that neither we nor our implementation partner knew our business, so we ended up with a vanilla installation that would run our business. Then knowing that we had work in the future to do, we as a company learned Oracle and how to utilize it to fit our business.

Don't expect to put in a hundred-percent functional, whiz-bang ERP system the first time, but know that you would have a vanilla solution that you have to grow and help mature over a course of years.

it_user436053
AVP of Finance at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It performs all of our accounting transactions and is the single source of truth for all our financial statements. They need to make the interface a little more slick.

Valuable Features

This is an enormous product and it's our ERP system. It pretty much performs all of our accounting transactions and is the single source of truth for all our financial statements. That's the most valuable feature of E-Business Suite.

Improvements to My Organization

It's where everyone in our organization goes to see any and all information and data dealing with our accounting and finances.

Room for Improvement

They need to make the interface a little more slick. It's form-based, so loading of the forms is pretty annoying. I would make the user interface friendlier and more workable.

Use of Solution

We've been using Oracle probably since 1990, or even before. We've been using R12 since 2010.

We had no issues with deployment.

It's been relatively stable. There have been bugs and subsequent patches. If we don't test properly, we'll come across a few issues.

It's very scalable. You can customize it as much as you want, but too much customization results in some issues, we've found.

We have pretty good support though Oracle Managed Cloud Services.

The initial setup is very complex. I wasn't there for the initial implementation, but just knowing what I know, it's very complex to get it set up. You need an implementation team or consulting firm to come in and help.

Implementation Team

I'm sure we used a third-party implementation team or consulting firm.

it_user436050
Data Analyst at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
The biggest benefit for the company is just having all of the information under one umbrella, in one central location. It seems overly complicated and the interactions between the modules are unclear.

Improvements to My Organization:

I would probably say that the biggest benefit for the company is just having all of the information under one umbrella, in one central location. It's also very useful having the ability to create connections between the different departments within our organization.

Room for Improvement:

To me, it seems overly complicated and the interactions between the modules are unclear to me. Oracle needs to provide training sessions that teach about the interactions, and we need someone in our company who also knows how the pieces fit together. This would go a long way towards helping us fit E-Business Suite to our business. Right now, it's like trying to fit a round peg into a square hole and I feel like we're not using it the way it's supposed to be used. We have to bend the rules or try to force it to do what we want. And it's been difficult.

We use Install Base, Service Contracts, Order Management, and Deeper Repair, and a few other modules. There's just so many that if someone who understood both our business and our tool, then this person could configure E-Business Suits to meet our business needs. Currently, each department needs something different and there are so many changes for each to the solution, that the changes aren't cohesive and, in fact, create problems for each other.

I'd prefer for everything to be web-based and not as a Java program. When I compare it to familiar tools, such as Salesforce and other CRMs, E-Business Suits seems really outdated and difficult to use and navigate.

Deployment Issues:

Deploying it optimally across our various departments has been troublesome.

Stability Issues:

In my experience, it's been stable, but I think our IT department would say the opposite.

Scalability Issues:

It's scaled, as far as I know. But, again, our IT might not agree.

Other Advice:

I don't personally like it all that much, but I know that it does a lot of stuff that's important.

My advice would be to find somebody who knows everything that the tool does and somebody who knows your business. Make sure that you're building it at the beginning to fit your business.

it_user436047
IT Consultant at a university with 501-1,000 employees
We use it for our financials, and like the intuitiveness of the solution. I'd really like to see Oracle move away from the old forms entirely and go with the new.

Valuable Features

The best feature is that EBS provides a look and feel that's easy for our functional users. We use it for our financials, and the intuitiveness of the solution is very good.

Improvements to My Organization

We've seen a lot more cohesiveness in our organization since we started using EBS. Our work blends together well with is and it's not so fragmented anymore. There's definitely been an increase in the efficiency of our man-hours, as well as a reduction in the amount of time we need to manage the financials.

Room for Improvement

The product is pretty good, but it incorporates both old forms and new HTML/Java-based pages. I'd really like to see Oracle move away from the old forms entirely and go with the new. Currently, there are certain things, like entering a purchase order, that you can do in either the new or old way, and they each work in completely differently. And, sometimes there are bugs in one that's not present in the other. I'd like to see an across-the-board transition to the new pages.

Use of Solution

We were early adopters and have been using it for over 10 years. It's constantly evolving, which is nice.

We've had no issues with the deployment.

It's pretty stable as we keep up with the latest and greatest versions. My boss is really big on patching and upgrading.

It is pretty scalable. Right now, we're doing iExpense and iAsset, so we're always building upon it.

The level of technical support depends on who you get. Sometimes they'll lag along and we have to keep prodding them and babysit the ticket. Sometimes I'll have to get my boss on the thine to scream at them. Other times, they're really responsive. So it varies.

The complexity of the setup depends on what we're doing. When we upgraded to R12, the setup was painful. It depends also on consultants, functional leads, and others involved. So the setup is not just about the product itself. Also, because we were early adopters, we experienced a lot of bugs that hadn't yet been worked out, and some of the consulting at that time wasn't the greatest.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with a combination of our in-house team and outside consultants.

Other Advice

My main piece of advice is to make sure you have all your testing scripts. Make sure your functional users test before implementation.

it_user436008
Financial Business Process Consultant at DeKalb County
I can make business decision adaptations with it without changing the underlying code.

Valuable Features

At Dekalb County, the most valuable feature of E-Business Suite is the integration of all the different modules. It's truly become our financial database from a projects and procurement point of view. It's all connected and logical.

Oracle has clearly brought experts to the table for the their design and development roles. In the early days, E-Business Suit was comprise simply of programmers' coding, but that's not their model anymore. I like that Oracle's brought in experts who know payables, who know what CFO's want to see, etc. They've got real-world experience and it shows because when you stand it up for the first time, it's an absolutely useable system. From that perspective, it's 100% worth the investment.

For example, sub-ledger accounting was new to release 12. If I am an international company or I want to deal with a company outside of the United States, they record things a little bit differently in their accounting. If I want to value my company and I have inventory in the United States, we put that on our books. I could have $100 worth of inventory, so therefore my company looks like it's $100 better than maybe Italy, but Italy doesn't record inventory on their books. It's not an asset.

So with E-Business Suite, Oracle has built a product from which I can make entity/business decision adaptations without changing the underlying code.

Improvements to My Organization

What sub-ledger accounting allows me to do is recreate the accounting structure, so I could still have my primary books, which is in US GAAP, but I could have secondary books. Now that I'm working in county government, where E-Business Suite really helps is with cash management.

Room for Improvement

I am fine with where E-Business Suite is now. From a county standpoint, I would like to see them integrate fund accounting into fixed assets and cash management. Right now, E-Business Suit really isn't 100% public sector. I guess we're not the market to roll out to.

Also, I'm not impressed with the out-of-the-box analytics. It's really the bare minimum.

Moreover, out-of-the-box, Oracle E-Business Suite's cash management module does not do fund accounting. It puts a strain on our accounting staff because the data doesn't really represent properly, but I was able to get it to work by using sub-ledger accounting to redefine the delivered Oracle out-of-the-box method.

Use of Solution

I've been using E-Business Suite since 1989.

We've had no issues deploying it.

Whether we have stability issues depends on how long a module has been out. With the evolution of E-Business Suite, each new module has had its hiccups and challenges. The longer the module is out, however, the more stable it becomes. This has been our experience with GL, accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed assets, cash management, and fund accounting.

The frustrating part of that is because it's new, you don't have the expertise out there to pull on. You could call Oracle support and yes, they're going to help you eventually, but one of the things that the user group gives me is, I know people who know GL, accounts payable, etc. I can reach out to my network, but I don't have a network on new products.

So the answer to the stability question is both yes and no.

E-Business Suite is scalable. We don't have to worry about it at my organization, but I know from my prior consulting experience that it's absolutely scalable, from mom-and-pop shops to large multi-national companies.

I have up and down days with Oracle support. Like anything, it depends on who your support analyst is. They have some phenomenal analysts. Unfortunately, the lifespan, as I understand it, is only maybe 18 months. They come to know this product inside and out, but then they go on to do other things. If I look at it realistically, here we only call support when there's an issue. We're always complaining. If I was on the receiving end of that, 18 months of listening to complaints might get old. There are the people who can answer my questions and who will get it done, and then there are those who don't.

Actually, I'm dealing with a support ticket now. I have had to on multiple occasions put in the ticket 'read my question' versus what I think is happening. I don't know if it's a computer that spits out the first few e-mails, but it's "hello, my name is X, Y, Z", and as a business, you get sick of the same old stuff. I need this resolved and, honestly, the time it takes for me to log into Oracle support and read the stock e-mails has become extremely frustrating.

The setup to me is straightforward, but I've been using it for so long. For a new person, I don't think that companies could use the software without consulting help of some sort. You need to understand your business. There are very good consultants who could come in and they will ask you the right questions to help drive the setup. They're decisions that need to be made that, if wrong, you can still live with. But, there are other, more critical decisions that you make that you can't undo. So is it easy to set up? Physically going into the screens is as simple as can be. The question really needs to be, how much time do you need to put in prior to sitting down to set the system up? You really need to understand your business and you need to understand what you're trying to do.

Implementation Team

We had outside help, but what causes problems is the fact that when you're a company and you're looking for new software, you are sitting there and you're saying, "OK my old software doesn't quite do what I want," so you want to buy something else. You go out, you do your RFP, you decide you're going to get E-Business Suite. The problem is, the experts at the company know their business. They also know their business using their old system. The consultants that they get to come in, they know E-Business Suite, but they don't know your business. The two don't always mesh correctly. What I've noticed over the years is you end up re-implementing the old system you just came off of. You're not utilizing all of the neat features that E-Business Suite has.

Other Advice

If you haven't implemented it and are considering purchasing it, don't be afraid of it. Go ahead, jump in. Oracle is a phenomenal company and they will stand behind their product. The best advice is to take your time, know your business, and don't always take 100% judgement from your consultant. Use their advice, but listen to that little voice in your head of what you know as well. Have a good collaboration between you and the consultant. Don't try to do it on your own.

The last piece of advice and what many companies fail to do is the education portion. I can't tell you how many companies I've gone into to do training only after they've gone live. And it never fails that they've scaled back their education to save money. Like where I am now at Dekalb County, they never train the end users. These end users know absolute basics to get by, but they don't know all the great tools. Even though once it's implemented, they need to keep learning it. Just because you've implemented a product, you're not done. Now, after it has settled down and you've used it, you can go and see what else your product that's live can also do. So remember to get educated.

it_user435975
Director of Finance at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is still being implemented and this has been slow, so I would say we have not seen a lot of benefit yet. We do believe it will help us track our inventory from multiple ERP systems.

Valuable Features

The ability to streamline all of our information is the most valuable feature for us. Right now, we are on several ERP systems, most of which are not fully integrated so we don't have the ability to track our inventory through these systems.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

The biggest frustration I have with Oracle is that they have taken an acquisition approach. Because of this, the modules don't talk to each other. It is touted as being a fully-integrated system, but if something happens and purchasing doesn't necessarily follow through to the cost module, the amount of programming and specific manipulation required to get the modules to talk to each other is surprising to me, especially for a package from a company of Oracle's size.

Use of Solution

We are partially implemented. We have been partially implemented for two-and-a-half-years. We started two-and-a-half years ago and are probably still three to five years out of a full implementation.

We had deployment issues with the modules not fully integrating with each other.

I haven't been particularly happy with it, but I think it is because we are transitioning from an ERP system, so that right now we don't run it as a fully web-based solution. I think all of the additional frustrations also have to do with internet speed and long wait times. Most ERP systems that aren't tied to the internet have quick response times, but with Oracle it's very slow.

We have struggled with it. The portions of our company that have implemented it are the smallest divisions, and in each instance when we've brought another one on, we've discovered that it creates a lot of challenges particularly from the volume of part numbers and transactions that are required to make anything happen.

That is actually where we are right now in our implementation, and we have paused it because we are about to go into the division that requires the most complexity and the highest number of transactions, and the scalability is a concern.

I don't interact enough with them to be able to answer. I know that we occasionally have to open service requests with Oracle. Of course, the IT team handles that and I am not part of the IT team. Sometimes the response time is a little slower than we would like, particularly when it has to do with month-end close. Very often we can't close a module because we are waiting on an SR.

It has been a very slow process that's very complicated and very rocky. We have used a consulting partner to get it implemented and there have been a lot of bumps and hurdles to get over.

Other Advice

It lacks integration between the modules, and the amount of customization required is surprising.

it_user435984
Senior System Analyst at City of West Palm Beach

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is integrity in the sense that the General Ledger module is directed connected with our payables. And our Human Resources is connected with payroll, so it's one unit from HR's perspective, which is very efficient. Also now, we have the iRecruitment module, so it's a single continuum from HR to finance. We don't have to deal with different software.

Another important aspect for us is safety in the marketplace. We know it's not going to go away and that our investment in the solution is OK.

How has it helped my organization?

I mainly support human capital solutions, so the biggest benefit for me has been with the iRecruitment module that took very paper-driven tasks to just a few clicks. It's saved me a lot of time and provided connections between tons of separate interfaces.

What needs improvement?

iRecruitment is, however, a very weak module that gets a lot of user complaints. And even though we get good responses from Oracle Support, it's really clunky and is one of the weakest module that I think Oracle has.

We also didn't like the Time and Labor module. We replaced it with Chronos, and that's made a big difference.

I've been using it since 1999. Back then, we used only basic applications such as Payables/Receivables, Ledger Projects, HR, and payroll. We went with iProcurement in 2005 and then iRecruitment in 2006.

The issues with deployment depend on which modules are deployed as well.

We've had no issues with instability.

We've been able to scale for our needs.

The TARs assigned to us have improved a lot over the years. They have a lot of scripts that can be registered as concurrent. Previously in 1999, I'd have to think twice before logging a ticket because it was a back-and-forth nightmare. Now we can chat online very quickly.

As a developer, I have no power or decision in the selection process. But I think it was market presence and the stability that won over management. We purchased PeopleSoft before Oracle acquired them, and after they did, our whole organization uses Oracle now.

I think that the initial setup is complex, especially since we were unfamiliar with the software. We were talking to consultants who were unable to relate to us. We were coming from a mainframe world and a lot of our decisions were wrong. I don't fault Oracle for that, though. It's just part of any implementation.

Getting the right consultant is key, and sometimes rapid implementation doesn't pay.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an Oracle die-hard, but I think that iRecruitment and Time & Labor are very weak.

it_user420069
Developer at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees

Valuable Features

It's out there in the market and the suite of products seem to cater really well to the business needs of our organization. When we buy Oracle's different products, we look to see how they integrate with different modules. With E-Business Suite, they all talk to each other.

So E-Business Suite is kind of one solution, and it's also a well-known product. It's highly stable and we get great support for it.

Improvements to My Organization

It's very stable, which directly affects our business from an assets and support perspective. It provides us with purchasing, financial, procurement, payables, and order management modules. These are all business assets for us that E-Business Suite directly affects.

Room for Improvement

The Oracle support site needs to be better. We go to it for pretty much any sort of issue we have, and I'd like for the search capability to be improved. Sometimes I can get as good if not better results from Google compared to the Oracle site.

Also, there have been issues where we've had to play with E-Business Suite to develop custom fixes because the solution itself isn't precisely catered to our requirements. We're able to get it to work, but it would be nice to not have to customize our own fixes so much.

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

There have been instances of instability, and we've been able to resolve those with custom workarounds from either the Oracle support site or from simply Googling the answers.

We haven't had any issues scaling it.

The support site is the only bad thing I've seen with Oracle. Unless you type in the exact right words, you don't get the right answers.

I think its quality seems to have gone down a little bit compared to the way it used to be when I started working when I always had good support.

I am more on the development side so I didn't install it. The initial setup was done by OBPS. It seems that because it's a popular product, we can find answers on the support site. For my part, development for it has been easy.

Other Advice

I think it's the leader in financial software. I've talked to people who aren't Oracle fans, but who like E-Business Suit anyways. It's a very good product.

it_user417126
Sr Director Enterprise Business Systems at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
The extensibility that we've needed over the past several years is the most valuable feature for us. The complexity around configuration and deployment need improving.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

It's allowed us to add our own customizations to it, which is highly important to our organization. We have many, many customized processes that we've needed to add on top of it in order to bring value to our company.

Room for Improvement

The complexity around configuration and deployment need improving. When I look at some of my previous companies, they spent millions of dollars on deployment and even just doing an upgrade. We did an upgrade two years ago and it took quite a bit of an investment just to upgrade as-is.

Deployment is complex and expensive.

Since we upgraded two years ago, it's been very stable. We haven't had any issues with instability since then.

There have been many times in which we could have used additional initial processing power, but we were constrained by the licensing structure we were in. That's prevented us from scaling to the extent we wanted.

We just dropped our maintenance with Oracle last year and have gone to a third-party service provider. It was less than half of the cost, and we didn't see the value of the money that we were spending at the time with Oracle.

I wasn't involved with the company that I'm at now, and it was definitely complex in the previous companies that I've been with.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The re-licensing is a large cost proposition so we may be looking at alternatives, I think, in the next couple of years.

Other Advice

I definitely think it's an investment. It's definitely a very robust product, so it's just going to depend on what type of investment a company is willing to make and what their future plans are as well.

it_user417066
Principal with 501-1,000 employees
It's a comprehensive solution that enables us to manage customers, customer service, finances, projects, HR, and other business operations. Cloud implementation would make it much easier to begin.

Valuable Features

It's a very comprehensive solution that enables us to manage customers, customer service, finances, projects, HR, and other business operations. It adds a lot of value for us because it gives us solutions to all these areas.

Room for Improvement

There are a couple of areas for improvement, I think, which are implementation via the cloud and they need to bring down the price. Cloud implementation would make it much easier to begin, and the price is a little high.

We didn't have any issues with deployment, but, again, it would be better if we could implement that solutions via the cloud.

It's a very stable product. We haven't had any issues with instability.

It is very scalable and we've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

The technical support personnel are knowledgable, but I feel they're too aggressive and kind of pushy.

E-Business Suit setup was complex, but I think that every Oracle product has a complex setup. It wasn't easy and it wasn't straightforward. In fact, it took us one to two years to complete the setup.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Oracle scales the pricing, but E-Business Suite is still very expensive for small to mid-sized businesses. I heard that this is a common complaint throughout the market for these sorts of solutions.

Other Advice

Make sure that you have a very solid project management plan prior to implementing it. Be sure to assess your timeline, duration, and everything else that's relevant to successful implementation and actually using the products. It really, really helps if you have a solid assessment performance done prior to starting the implementation.

it_user341916
Human Development Manager - Training & Development at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Now that we've implemented Fusion, with powerful competencies, it's simplified the goal-management process. But, it's too large for a small company like ours.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is definitely the ability to go in as a manager or as an individual and do everything in one place, for example, to add/change/remove a goal.

Mandating a goal plan was a really good idea because it forces you to actually think about it, and it makes it easier at the end of the day for a user.

The ability to see the goals and move them over to next year in one place is really great. They can copy, extend, and delete all in one place.

How has it helped my organization?

We've only been playing with it less than a year - so not long - but it forced us to be able to have a change in management. It is really helping management to have a conversation about goals.

Previously, goal management wasn't something we did well. Now that we have implemented Fusion, with powerful competencies, it's simplified the process. At the end of the day, the goal thing was awesome.

What needs improvement?

The account executive was good, but when it came to training HR, it really failed - on this point I'd rate Oracle as 3/10.

The webinars are OK but they definitely didn't hit the target.

This application is so large for a small company like ours, so it was very hard to train everyone with such an extensive product.

We implemented it this year.

Getting everyone on-board was a tad slow, but there were no major pick-ups, and all was well for the most part.

No issues encountered.

We had other Oracle products, but I can't remember which ones.

It was seamless and went very well.

We use a vendor who is really great.

For us it's high, because now we can focus on gathering the right amount of info about our information.

We did, but I can't remember which ones.

What other advice do I have?

I like the new version as it's easier to manage. The problem is that the timing is bad - they did quite a bit of work to the goals feature, and changed it around quite a bit. For me, it's hard work because I need to train everyone to use but it's much more fluid and easier to navigate.

We needed a lot more training and best practices for a small company. Oracle hasn't done a good job preparing best practices for small companies. However, it's great for goal management.

it_user317880
Business Systems Manager at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows for internationalization with support for multiple languages and locales, although it has just a few data spreadsheet loaders and no option to download, modify, and upload to data screens.

Valuable Features

A couple of things-- one is the support for the multiple languages, locale, so the internationalization is a valuable feature. The ability to extend the system and capture the duration of data points and extensions on customer processes, so it's also adaptable. Furthermore, I like the support for mobile apps, which I think they are catching up on.

Room for Improvement

Looking at the product on a large scale, some of the features are more spreadsheet-based with data updates. Oracle does have a few data spreadsheet loaders but these are not extensive, and a lot of data screens do not give you the option to download the data, modify, and the upload it. Spreadsheets are now becoming the fastest way to download and modify data. This would be handy especially when working with larger data sections.

Use of Solution

I've used it for 12 years.

No, you can deploy with very little downtime which is a great feature.

It all depends on what highway you are hosting it on. Based on how many resources you are provided. I've used the product across the organization for the past 12 years and depending on how much hardware, and how fast it is, in terms of design, it does have scalability built in to it.

Most of my interaction has been through the support website which is mostly technical support. Most of the support is through the customers, through the support portal. The best part about the support is the vast knowledge base. 9/10 times you can find a solution to your problem through some kind of published notes from the support website.

There were some modules that were more complicated. All I would say is that it wasn’t too simple and it wasn’t too complex.

Chief Information Officer / Director of Information Technology at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
We were able to switch from paper-based purchasing to an automated, centralized, and integrated solution.

What is most valuable?

• Integration
  • Ease of use
  • API interface
  • Personalization capabilities

How has it helped my organization?

The punch-out capabilities to other vendors e-commerce sites for shopping. The county does not need to manage catalogue content. All information is exchanged electronically including purchase orders and invoices, this automation has improved county efficiencies.

Prior to Oracle, the county procurement system was antiquated and individuals typed orders on a typewriter or filled out paper forms. Orders were faxed to suppliers and delivered to a central county warehouse that farmed out orders to departments. The county was dependent upon a 20+ year old mainframe system and there was no integration between the procurement and financial systems.

With Oracle, the county switched from paper-based purchasing to an automated solution which allows departments to place orders and receive within days or a week. The Purchasing department was centralized and allows the county the ability to better manage contracts and negotiate better prices. The purchasing operations were fully integrated with back office financial systems.

What needs improvement?

Reporting, particularly in the area of public sector encumbrances.

I've used it for 11 years.

10/10.

9/10 - there is always room for improvement. Occasionally It takes too long to work problems and there is typically an unnecessary long list of information that has to be supplied before the analyst will start work on the issue.

We previously used a custom mainframe solution that was developed in house. We switched because we wanted to leverage modern technology, with a vendor who would enhance their solution, and incorporate new intellectual property through acquisitions and/or mergers.

Oracle implementations are complex and require that the customer understands, and reviews their business processes. Often time it is difficult to revert from one configuration to another. Customer need to wisely consider things like set of books and general ledger account structure and how their business processes align with best practices and what Oracle has to offer.

We used Oracle Professional Services for our implementation. The team was extremely knowledgeable.

While I cannot provide a tangible amount for the ROI, the county has definitely seen a significant return in regards to operational efficiencies.

The county spent $8million on licenses, training, and implementation services. Oracle offers the best deals at the end of their fiscal year in June. The licensing for Oracle is very complex, and it is best to buy only what you need. Oracle, like most vendors, is not amenable to removing products that you are no longer using/need.

The county did look at SAP, but decided on Oracle E-Business.

What other advice do I have?

• Make sure you document and understand your business processes and how they align with the product and best practices
  • Ensure that you have a plan for governance and adoption
  • Limit the number of integrations and customizations. While Oracle API’s are good, they require strong technical resources to develop. Once developed, they are very stable and require little maintenance
  • Make sure you have appropriate support staff. Oracle is very complex and requires a lot of expertise to support and maintain
  • Make sure you have a plan to perform and keep up with upgrades. Again, upgrades require a lot of testing and it would be nice to have a dedicated team to work on upgrades
  • Look at Oracle’s road map for Oracle E-Business over the years. The strategy and road map keep changing
Senior Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Although it handles standard functionalities well, we were still able to customize and enhance it easily.

What is most valuable?

It handles business application standard functionalities very, very well. It allows for easy customization and enhancements.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes with Oracle support, depending on the analyst you get, you can hit walls in trying to find answers. But they’ve gotten a lot better, so I hesitate in bringing that up.

About 10-11 years by now.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 7.5/10.

Nordstrom, my current employer, didn’t…

What needs improvement?

About 10-11 years by now.

8/10.

7.5/10.

Nordstrom, my current employer, didn’t previously use a different solution.

I think we implemented via both vendor and in-house teams, and it's worked fine.

What other advice do I have?

You should research the new cloud capabilities. It’s pretty important and a cost-effective way for a company to install.

it_user3372
Senior Manager of IT at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Who’s Managing Your IT Assets?
As companies continue to grow and expand, enterprise IT asset management grows increasingly important. Enterprise asset management controls the IT assets of an enterprise from budgeting and planning through end of asset life. Without a comprehensive enterprise asset management program in place, IT assets can cost far more than necessary through waste and redundancy and overly complex management and maintenance. There are huge amounts of information gathered by many ERP, EAM, CMMS, and other systems that the dilemma for many organizations is how to identify the most relevant information. And if that wasn’t enough there is too much data being gathered in many organizations to be reasonably interpreted. About a year ago my organizations finalized its decision to retire an out dated…

About a year ago my organizations finalized its decision to retire an out dated asset tracking program and replace it with a more scalable and reliable global ruggedized support system that combines logistics data and transportation technologies. We wanted to improve our response time during emergencies and enhance our ability to track and shift personnel, equipment, and supplies.

For the last several months I’ve had the opportunity to personally study and work with Oracle Fusion Middleware and Oracle E-Business Suite.

I was a little skeptical at first, since my organization has IT assets stretched all over globe. But within two weeks I began to notice an improvement with my ability to track and manage asset location, asset configuration, and maintenance activities with a reduced requisition request cycle time by 80%, from three days to 10 minutes. Two years ago it would have taken several systems just to accomplish these tasks.

Today managers in my organization have access to a single unified source of integrated information across our supply chain, which allows us to make more informed decisions and eliminates the need to reconcile conflicting data in multiple systems.

From time to time my job requires a great deal of travel and as a result has hindered my ability to track and manage the IT assets for my organization. Even during an assignment in Afghanistan Oracle Fusion

Middleware and Oracle E-Business Suite gave me the same access and control capability that I have here in the U.S., via a Federated Private Cloud.

I recommend Oracle Fusion Middleware and Oracle E-Business Suite to any organization that’s really serious about asset management.

By implementing Oracle Fusion Middleware and Oracle E-Business Suite, your organization will be able to view every asset in their enterprise, allowing them to control and manage IT assets, eliminate waste and redundancy, and comply with ever-increasing government regulations.

Download our free Oracle E-Business Suite Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.