Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Overview

Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control is the #14 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Management tools. It is most often compared to VMware vRealize Automation (vRA): Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control vs VMware vRealize Automation (vRA)

What is Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control?

Oracle Enterprise Manager is Oracle's integrated enterprise information technology (IT) management product line, which provides the industry's only complete, integrated, and business-driven enterprise cloud management solution. Oracle Enterprise Manager creates business value for IT by leveraging the built-in management capabilities of the Oracle stack for traditional and cloud environments, enabling customers to achieve unprecedented efficiency gains while dramatically increasing service levels.

Download the Cloud Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Customers

Grupo Aeromexico SAB de CV, Grupo Arcor, Australian Finance Group Ltd., Cerner Corp., Bimbo S.A. de C.V., Kovaion Consulting India Pvt. Ltd., Shelf Drilling Ltd., Sascar, Banca Transilvania, UL

Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Database Administrator at PagSeguro UOL
It eases administration, mainly regarding performance management and troubleshooting, if you have a considerable number of Oracle Databases

What is our primary use case?

We are very dependent on the product, since it eases Oracle database administration. Mostly, if you have a lot of databases in your DC.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a considerable number of Oracle Databases and they are very critical, I suggest you use this product. It eases administration, mainly regarding performance management and troubleshooting.
Database & Flexcube System Administrator at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Enables me to create user profiles for all the instances that have the same profile

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to administer the different databases we have, development, UATs, and production databases. We use it to have a central environment so we can make policies for all users; whether the passwords have expired or not. The reason we have this is because before, let’s say I had 10 to 12 databases. I had to go to each server and log in to the enterprise manager, and do this job on each server. Another of our concerns that this helps us address is to get notifications regarding if the space is, let’s say, 80% used. In that case, I need it to send me a notification so I can maintain… more »

• "Using Enterprise Manager, I was able to create user profiles for all the instances that have the same profile. Secondly, it's easier to manage performance, to automate the AWR reports to run every half an hour, or hour. Then, if you have a performance issue you just open the report and you can see what was running the last one hour, the SQL statements, or what was causing the performance issues."
  • "Of course, that you can manage and create the backup strategies from a central environment for all your environments, so you don’t have to do so on each database. You can set up the policy you want for each database, but you do it from a central environment."
  • "Because all our banking infrastructure is based on Oracle, I’ve tried to register Enterprise Manager on the middleware level, let's say, WebLogic applications. But I cannot say that I can do all the administration from Enterprise Manager, that I can do from the WebLogic Admin Console. So, I think here it needs some improvement: Things that you can do on the WebLogic Admin Console, you should be able to do them on the Enterprise Manager, so you don’t have to log into the Admin Console."
  • "Sometimes the alerts are coming a bit late, for example, an alert for the CPU. It depends on the threshold that you have, how long you want to check the CPU of the machine. I got some faulty alerts with Data Guard. I had stopped a synchronization for maintenance and then I re-synchronized Oracle Data Guard. It took some time to appear in Enterprise Manager and send me the right notification that Data Guard was up and running and synchronizing. I realized this because I went directly into the database to check the status of Data Guard, and it was telling me that it was running okay. But in Enterprise Manager, it needed some more time to update the interface."

What other advice do I have?

To implement, you need to have a good server with a reasonable CPU, and good RAM on the server. You need to check the configurations that need to be done on each database where you want to install the Oracle agent, so it will be automatic; you need to make some changes on the host, the host that you want to register. I don’t think there is anything else complex in order to do this. I would rate this product an eight out of 10. To be a 10 it needs to be more viable for using it for middleware software.
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, VMware, Apache and others in Cloud Management. Updated: April 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior DBA at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Quickly generates advice on how to improve a query's performance

What is our primary use case?

The use case was the monitoring of the database, which included consumption of resources such as CPU, memory, processes, and I/O.

• "One of the clearest examples is the agility of discovering processes/sessions that are burdening the database environment. With this agility, the DBA can more quickly verify this type of problem, in addition to checking locked sessions and not having to do several searches in views and tables of the data dictionary. The tool already does this for you in an agile way."
  • "Another feature is the Resource Manager, where we can manage the consumption of resources of certain queries, separately in resource groups. Depending on the characteristics of the query, queries can be placed in groups that consume less database and hardware resources."
  • "One of the things that can be improved is the quality of results generated by BI Publisher. They are somewhat confusing when it comes to analysis."
  • "The installation steps are very complex and the documentation for them is very generic and does not make very clear the correct steps from the installation to the addition of the host and database."
  • "Another point that can be improved is the agent instability in the monitored hosts, because sometimes an agent has to be resynchronized to recapture the information."
IT Administrator at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Provides very useful insights for application and database performance tuning

What is our primary use case?

Database performance tuning Weblogic server diagnostics Proactive monitoring and alerts for full Oracle infrastructure

How has it helped my organization?

The solution provides very useful insights for application and database performance tuning. We were able to do away with guess work in determining where the bottlenecks were in application performance.

What is most valuable?

Central management of Oracle infrastructure for more efficient administration Advisors provide quick access to Insight and best practice information for performance tuning and configuration.

What needs improvement?

Oracle Data Guard monitoring: There are no alerts for redo log transport failure.

Database & Flexcube System Administrator at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Makes it is easier to manage your backups and create email alerts regarding the status of your backups

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case was to have a central web interface where we could administrate all Oracle Database instances. After installing, I found out that it is not only a database administration console. You could manage hosts, middleware apps (WebLogic), and many more plugins, which are available to download for other vendors' software and databases. Our banking environment is based on Oracle Databases (11.2.0.4) and our banking software is Oracle FLEXCUBE (12.0.3), which is running on WebLogic (10.3.6). In total, I have about 15 databases registered in Cloud Control and four to five WebLogic… more »

• "You can create a system group (database, application, and web server), so you can monitor performance as a system."
  • "It is easier to manage your Oracle Database backups and create email alerts regarding the status of your backups (Succeeded or Failed)."
  • "When registering a host, only if your host is running Linux will you get all the information which is available on EM. It would be nice if in future releases to include IBM AIX (primarily)​ and Microsoft Windows (secondly)​."
  • "You cannot use Enterprise Manager as replacement for a WebLogic console."
Database Engineer
The documentation and knowledge bases are extensive,so often you can resolve your own issues

What other advice do I have?

Its one of those products that you can, and should customise to your own requirements. Don't expect a one off install then leave it to take care of itself. Proper procedures will greatly assist, and time spent discovering features can be very rewarding. Agent deployment is straight forwards, and the agents are light weight and easily maintainable
Regional Team Lead - Applications & Systems Integration at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I was particularly interested in the monitoring and alerting features. The interface could use some work.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the size of the Oracle footprint that you need to monitor, it's a good idea perhaps to pursue an Oracle Licensing Agreement with the vendor. This will allow you to implement management packs more easily. I would recommend this for larger environments of 25 or more databases.
Database Team Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Real-time SQL, performance monitoring and SQL Tuning Advisor are very effective to find problems and to resolve them.

What other advice do I have?

Implementing this version is so much easier than the earlier ones. You do not need to install agents into the client one by one. You can install the agent from one point (i.e., from the OEM Cloud Control 12c screen). You just need some firewall actions before installing the agents. Implementation is easy, there is no need for a lot of engineering.
VM
Head of Oracle Development at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It helps to monitor many of the different targets and resources.

What other advice do I have?

My opinion is that this product must be used in companies that have many Oracle databases.
Oracle DBA with 10,001+ employees
Users see the real-time behavior of the database and can diagnose where an issue may exist.

What other advice do I have?

Take time to study how to use the product. It is very helpful, if it is put to maximum use.
Database Administrator at a recruiting/HR firm
RMAN backup jobs can be created and all the database instances can be monitored from one place.

What other advice do I have?

The product is good for monitoring all databases, but in some cases it's not easy to maintain. For example, if the server crashes and we need to restore the monitoring system, it's very complex. This product is very good for monitoring purposes as well as for cloud databases.
Associate at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The two most valuable features we've found are the email notifications and the live, real-time monitoring. It would be nice if there was a way to seamlessly clone the configurations.

What other advice do I have?

What it does, it does well, but it's so complex. There are a lot of quirks to get it to do what you want it to do. Do blackouts before you take anything down, because if you don't, you will get a gigantic shit storm.
Database Expert with 501-1,000 employees
EM12c - A Step Backwards?
Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c is mostly a better product than the 10g version we were using before. But I am getting really frustrated with the Explain Plan functionality. A big part of my job is performance tuning and monitoring running SQL. And to do that you need a clear, quick, stable view of the query plan, along with all pertinent information, such as the total cost of the plan. in EM10g, we had that. EM12c, though, is a huge step backwards. Specifically: 1. When using the "Real Time: 15 sec refresh" function, every refresh shows the "Graphical" version of the Plan. You have to then switch to the "Tabular" version, if that's what you prefer. 2. The "Tabular" view in EM10g included a summary top line showing the total cost, total IO cost, total CPU cost, etc.…