Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control is the #22 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Management tools. It is most often compared to VMware vRealize Automation (vRA): Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control vs VMware vRealize Automation (vRA)

What is Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control?

Oracle Enterprise Manager is Oracle's integrated enterprise information technology (IT) management product line, which provides the industry's only complete, integrated, and business-driven enterprise cloud management solution. Oracle Enterprise Manager creates business value for IT by leveraging the built-in management capabilities of the Oracle stack for traditional and cloud environments, enabling customers to achieve unprecedented efficiency gains while dramatically increasing service levels.

Download the Cloud Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Customers

Grupo Aeromexico SAB de CV, Grupo Arcor, Australian Finance Group Ltd., Cerner Corp., Bimbo S.A. de C.V., Kovaion Consulting India Pvt. Ltd., Shelf Drilling Ltd., Sascar, Banca Transilvania, UL

Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Video

Archived Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user913104
Database Administrator at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good threat detection, but the solution needs to improve real-time monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution strictly for monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The real-time threat detection has been the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

There is a lack from the point of view of monitoring on the system. The performance of the system and its resources are things that I think can be improved. There needs to be real-time monitoring available on the solution.

I've been using the solution for two years.

We have been satisfied with technical support.

We installed in our repository with the agent. We installed on-premises and with an agent deployment.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises…

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution strictly for monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The real-time threat detection has been the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for two years.

We have been satisfied with technical support.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would rate this solution seven out of ten.

AM
Senior Consultant at Cloud Integrators Limited
Better control and quicker problem resolution through a centralized management console

• "Once this solution is configured, it will help administrators centralize their management of the environment."
  • "Because this solution provides insight into all of the areas within the IT stack, it would benefit from enhancements in security."

What is our primary use case?

We are an Oracle reseller and I have worked with different customers using this solution. This review is largely based on one of my customer's experience with the solution.

This solution allows customers to be able to monitor and manage the complete Oracle IT infrastructure in a single console. Many customers want to consolidate their infrastructure; they gain more in support services, performance, and security because the more you have consolidated, the better the service delivery, and the better the return on investment. The customers who have benefited most are fully consolidated using Oracle storage, Oracle hardware, Oracle databases, and Oracle applications.

In the event that there is an increase in workload, there is a single point of support services. When there is a mix of technologies, you have issues with services, and this is the reason that a unified platform is beneficial.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution is designed to maintain critical business applications, and sometimes there are a large number of them. Once this solution is configured, it will help administrators centralize their management of the environment.

With version 12c, it allows you to not only administer but provides valuable insight into the physical server. This includes information such as CPU usage, storage, workload, and details about the operating system.

Ultimately, this solution provides for centralization of everything. The administrators are notified of relevant issues, so a local administrator can attend to fix the problem. This means that problem identification and resolution is quite fast.

Prior to having a single point of management, IT services would not necessarily be able to quickly find the problem. For example, it may arise because of the operating system, CPU utilization, or maybe the hardware. You would not necessarily know what has happened within the environment.

What is most valuable?

The current version of this solution has an extensible architecture that not only looks to support the users, but also the hardware, including the storage, as well as all of the applications that you're implementing. There have been enhancements in the security and the reporting.

The most valuable feature is that you have a central line of management, by way of the console, for the administrators. It is a very big advantage.

It also provides valuable insight into everything that you do, including memory and storage utilization.

What needs improvement?

Because this solution provides insight into all of the areas within the IT stack, it would benefit from enhancements in security. This is a major concern for our customers.

The cost for the licenses needs to be improved because they are expensive and scare many customers away from Oracle. This is unfortunate because Oracle products give the customer what they need. In the case of this solution, it is optional, rather than built-in to Oracle 12c. With this in mind, the cost should be lower, otherwise many users will not adopt the product.

One suggestion that I have for the vendor is to ensure that their sales team has technical knowledge about the products for which they are selling. Some customers have been misguided on certain products because the sales team did not fully understand them. Oracle needs to look into people who have strong skills in both selling and implementing the technology.

Approximately two years.

The first release of version 12c contained bugs. However, many of them have been fixed and the second release is a lot more stable.

The product itself has no issues. The only challenge comes from having to perform backup and recovery of the entire production environment.

This solution is highly scalable. There is no limitation on how many nodes you are going to be able to monitor.

Generally, once the installation is complete, customers do not expand the usage of the product.

I do not use the technical support for this solution myself. Also, I have not heard any followup from my customers about the quality of their local support services. Often, I will travel to perform a full deployment. Once the deployment is complete, I normally do not hear back the from customers. They deal with the Oracle support themselves, if necessary.

I do spend some time training the administrators to help orient them with respect to the product, and they are happy with that, but I do not generally hear feedback beyond this.

Prior to the current version, my customer was using version 11g.

This is a straightforward product, and there were not any challenges during deployment. Keep in mind that this product is deployed only after everything else has been set up in the environment. Once everything else is running, this solution will help you to monitor everything. It is not a complex setup.

This is generally a one-day deployment, depending on how complex the environment is and how many agents you are going to be monitoring. In my environment, there were only three or four agents, so it only took me one day to deploy a four-node cluster. In my case, the agents were only for monitoring, so I did not have to worry about the configuration. It was not as complex as I was expecting.

I had performed a couple of installations on my site, in advance. Normally, before deploying at a customer site, I work with solutions in my test environment. This made it very easy to deploy. Also, this particular customer was already using a previous version of Oracle, so I was comfortable with all of the technologies that were there.

I handled the implementation of this solution for my customer.

My customer has absolutely seen a return on investment. At the end of the day, problem resolution becomes much more seamless. There is a single management console, and even the Oracle Support Team is able to access it so that they can fix things quickly. The turnaround time in problem resolution is definitely improved.

The licensing costs are largely too high. Particularly in the African market, companies struggle a lot in terms of IT costs.

Our customer was contacted directly by Oracle, who suggested that they consider Oracle Grid Control. Rather than Grid control, they instead opted for Oracle Cloud Control. It was implemented immediately after they upgraded to version 12c.

What other advice do I have?

I find that this product is highly complete because it points to almost everything in the environment. This includes the hardware, the operating system, the database, and the applications. The primary users of this solution are system administrators.

There is a challenge in upgrading from a previous version, such as 11c, to version 12c. It comes about because version 12c has a new Enterprise Manager Control, which is limited in terms of features, but does contain functionality for administrators to support customer IT environments and maintain uptime.

Many of my customers were reluctant to upgrade immediately after version 12c came out. Rather, they were more comfortable waiting for the second release. With this, many customers in East Africa have begun to adopt the new environment. Most of the bugs that were present in the first release have been fixed in the second.

There are some customers who are discouraged by how often there are major releases of this solution. It seems that almost every two years, a new product comes onto the market. Some customers have complained, for example, that a new version is about to be released, but they have not yet upgraded to the current version. In our domain, one of the biggest challenges is that the customers take a long time to adopt some of the new technology. Sometimes, by the time they get to understand the benefits and features of the newer product, it is too late.

Some customers have inquired about backup and recovery, and whether this solution will recover from the loss of data. This is something that depends on customer policy. Different customers will try different backup solutions, such as Snapshot, or using a High Availability approach that integrates Oracle Data Guard with Real Application Clusters (RAC) or Oracle GoldenGate. The Cloud Control solution is responsible for the management of everything within the environment, so it is not something that controls backup and recovery. Rather, it streamlines the management of services, environment, and application workload.

There is also an issue in this industry with a lack of people in pre-sales who have technical expertise in the products. Because of this, some customers are misguided. My advice is to make sure that you speak with somebody with such expertise before moving forward with any solution.

In summary, I would highly recommend this solution. As an engineer, over the years I have found it highly cumbersome and hectic when monitoring many services and applications. It becomes difficult to be able to meet your SLA, or service-level targets. But, with Oracle Cloud Control, you are able to meet your SLA targets.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, VMware, Apache and others in Cloud Management. Updated: October 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Saaim Abrar Abrar
MACS Snr CP, Senior Oracle Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Proactively monitors every server before a problem happens with patch management

• "Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control gives us diverse monitoring capability that can be extremely powerful."
  • "The product does have room for improvement in patch management."

What is our primary use case?

Managing deliveries is our primary use case: Oracle servers, Oracle networking, delivery receipts, applications, Tomcat/Apache, host machines, and checking the host data center.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control has improved our organization in many ways:

• Before implementing this solution, the patching was done manually. Now, we do the same task with patching management.
  • Before, we used to monitor every server every day. Now, we don't have to monitor it, because we have an in-place solution.

We get alerts from Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control. We can proactively monitor every server before a problem happens on it.

What is most valuable?

The accuracy is the most valuable feature for us. Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control gives us diverse monitoring tools, monitoring capability that can be extremely powerful, security patching, database consolidation, etc. all in one packaged distribution.

What needs improvement?

The product does have room for improvement in patch management. It is complex, but since the documentation is very much elaborated, we followed the documentation.

The deployment took around two days. The whole deployment, all the production servers (we have around three hundred servers), took around three months.

I would like to see more security features in Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control like application data integrity.

We're using the plan for two years now.

The solution is pretty good. This is very powerful. Oracle Cloud Control has the capability of not only managing Oracle products, but also Microsoft, IBM products, SharePoint, etc. Lots of solutions and applications come in this domain.

Oracle is managing all the different procedures of applications, deliveries, storage, network, and load-balancing. It is a complete data-center solution.

Right now we have a cluster node with two servers clustered. It has a database. This database is on a two-node server. We can scale it up to as many as we want.

Civil administrators, supervising administrators, network administrators, auditing administrators, managers, supervisors, security consultants, etc. are all using it.

We have in the Cloud Control every person assigned to a role. We have assigned a particular role to them: indoors administration, SharePoint administration, Exchange, etc.

Some are for the main controller. Some are Oracle admins, BI publishers, BI reporting tools, managers, etc. Every person has his/her role.

I would evaluate the solution's technical support with a 7 out of 10. They are lacking. Sometimes I feel the engineers on Oracle support don't know as much as we know.

Maybe because we are using their product heavily or they're engineers who are working in Oracle support, but they don't have much breadth of knowledge in the product. What I've witnessed sometimes has surprised me. They don't know the product as much as we do. When the support goes through and the support call goes to the US, they are professional. When it comes through India, it's just terrible.

We switched due to the ease of control in managing productivity and administration. We were not using that solution as heavily as we are using Oracle Control now. It was the mobile Microsoft SCOM security package.

The initial setup is complex but since the documentation is very much elaborated, we followed the documentation. We were able to implement it by ourselves. We didn't have to ask the third-party implementers to come and implement it for us.

The deployment took around two days for all the production servers. We have around three hundred servers, so it took around three months.

I did the setup myself. We didn't have any integrator. We followed all of the documentation and I was the one who implemented all the solutions.

We have saved a lot of money on costs like wages, overtime, and manpower. The required hours were too high to maintain the servers previously.

We had lots of people maintaining the servers. Now, there are not many people needed. The company is saving a lot of money.

We had some indicators. We studied our environment. We have most of our production systems and applications on Oracle. Consequently, the Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control distro was well suited for us.

We use Oracle's product line. We know that it also supports the other products that we're using like Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, web-controllers, Apache servers, etc.

We found Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control much more suitable for us than other products for storage, switches, net logs, F-5, etc.

What other advice do I have?

If people know their environment, they will know what product suits their business department and needs. If they are happier using Oracle applications or customer applications based in Java and Oracle products. Cloud Control is much better for us.

I would rate it an eight out of ten because I found it very helpful, proactive, and easy to manage I didn't give it 10, because of the support. I don't find the support very professional.

Database Administrator at PagSeguro UOL
It eases administration, mainly regarding performance management and troubleshooting, if you have a considerable number of Oracle Databases

What is our primary use case?

We are very dependent on the product, since it eases Oracle database administration. Mostly, if you have a lot of databases in your DC.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us in the manner of productivity, since it enables us to monitor and manage a lot of databases in a centralized web portal.

What is most valuable?

Patching multiple databases

Performance monitoring

Management and optimization

Database administration

Alerts and thresholds

What needs improvement?

Stability and performance of the tool itself. Might be better used with more hardware. Normally the specifications from the docs are enough.

Three to five years.

Yes, there are some bugs. Some of the screens sometimes do not load data, and sometimes the portal hangs.

It has the ability to scale out the database and the OEM to more than one server.

It is under the Oracle support agreement. I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Yes, we evaluated Spotlight from Dell (Quest), but we chose OEMCC, since it has more features and requires no direct licensing.

I think it is a bit complex. You have to install and create an Oracle Database with a template for OEM, then you have to install and configure the OEM.

We did it by ourselves.

OEM requires no licensing, but if you want to use features like the performance monitoring page in your database, you must have the Diagnostic Pack license. If you want the tuning advisor, you have to license the Tuning Pack. The license you need is not for OEM, but for the Oracle Database.

We evaluated Spotlight from Dell (Quest).

What other advice do I have?

If you have a considerable number of Oracle Databases and they are very critical, I suggest you use this product. It eases administration, mainly regarding performance management and troubleshooting.

Andreas-Stylianou
Database & Flexcube System Administrator at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Enables me to create user profiles for all the instances that have the same profile

• "Using Enterprise Manager, I was able to create user profiles for all the instances that have the same profile. Secondly, it's easier to manage performance, to automate the AWR reports to run every half an hour, or hour. Then, if you have a performance issue you just open the report and you can see what was running the last one hour, the SQL statements, or what was causing the performance issues."
  • "Of course, that you can manage and create the backup strategies from a central environment for all your environments, so you don’t have to do so on each database. You can set up the policy you want for each database, but you do it from a central environment."
  • "Because all our banking infrastructure is based on Oracle, I’ve tried to register Enterprise Manager on the middleware level, let's say, WebLogic applications. But I cannot say that I can do all the administration from Enterprise Manager, that I can do from the WebLogic Admin Console. So, I think here it needs some improvement: Things that you can do on the WebLogic Admin Console, you should be able to do them on the Enterprise Manager, so you don’t have to log into the Admin Console."
  • "Sometimes the alerts are coming a bit late, for example, an alert for the CPU. It depends on the threshold that you have, how long you want to check the CPU of the machine. I got some faulty alerts with Data Guard. I had stopped a synchronization for maintenance and then I re-synchronized Oracle Data Guard. It took some time to appear in Enterprise Manager and send me the right notification that Data Guard was up and running and synchronizing. I realized this because I went directly into the database to check the status of Data Guard, and it was telling me that it was running okay. But in Enterprise Manager, it needed some more time to update the interface."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to administer the different databases we have, development, UATs, and production databases. We use it to have a central environment so we can make policies for all users; whether the passwords have expired or not.

The reason we have this is because before, let’s say I had 10 to 12 databases. I had to go to each server and log in to the enterprise manager, and do this job on each server. Another of our concerns that this helps us address is to get notifications regarding if the space is, let’s say, 80% used. In that case, I need it to send me a notification so I can maintain; or on the host level where our systems are, to have alert notifications regarding space or CPUs.

Our main use of Enterprise Manager is on the database level.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Enterprise Manager, I was able to create user profiles for all the instances that have the same profile. Secondly, it's easier to manage performance, to automate the AWR reports to run every half an hour, or hour. Then, if you have a performance issue you just open the report and you can see what was running the last one hour, the SQL statements, or what was causing the performance issues. And, of course, the alerts.

What is most valuable?

The most important, of course, is the monitoring feature, because we want to monitor the host and the databases.

And, of course, the notifications, if the backup succeeded or not.

What needs improvement?

No issues with stability, really.

Sometimes the alerts are coming a bit late, for example, an alert for the CPU. It depends on the threshold that you have, how long you want to check the CPU of the machine. I got some faulty alerts with Data Guard. I had stopped a synchronization for maintenance and then I re-synchronized Oracle Data Guard. It took some time to appear in Enterprise Manager and send me the right notification that Data Guard was up and running and synchronizing. I realized this because I went directly into the database to check the status of Data Guard, and it was telling me that it was running okay. But in Enterprise Manager, it needed some more time to update the interface. It doesn’t happen really often, that I get faulty alerts or late alerts.

Another example is when the database is down and then you start the database, it needs some time to load everything from the database. I don’t know if some maintenance can be done on the agent side that is installed on the database server. But the lack that I'm seeing might be from 20 seconds to two minutes. It depends.

I cannot think of any scalability issues.

In general, we have experience with Oracle support. For some things they are giving us solutions quickly. For some other cases they need more time, but for Enterprise Manager specifically, I have never used Oracle support.

I used Oracle Grid Control 10 a few years ago, as a consultant, and it was very useful. So when I came here and we started having more and more environments, I said, “Okay, the only way to manage all these environments is to have Oracle Enterprise Manager." And it’s impressive how much better Oracle 13c is, how much improved it is over Oracle Grid Control 10.

The installation, I think is, straightforward. It's not very, very complex.

You need some background on the order, what you have to install first and what second, and you need to check which versions of support that will be your back-end or WebLogic. But if you have a bit of background and you go through the main Oracle Database to get the versions that you need, I think there's no issue with installation.

We are using the free version. We are not using any licensed packages of Enterprise Manager, so I’m not quite sure how much each package is. As I understand it, there are different plug-ins that you need to buy for Enterprise Manager, but I’m not sure how much they cost.

The only solution I could think of was Oral Enterprise Manager because our infrastructure is based on Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

To implement, you need to have a good server with a reasonable CPU, and good RAM on the server. You need to check the configurations that need to be done on each database where you want to install the Oracle agent, so it will be automatic; you need to make some changes on the host, the host that you want to register. I don’t think there is anything else complex in order to do this.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.  To be a 10 it needs to be more viable for using it for middleware software.

it_user836457
Senior DBA at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Quickly generates advice on how to improve a query's performance

• "One of the clearest examples is the agility of discovering processes/sessions that are burdening the database environment. With this agility, the DBA can more quickly verify this type of problem, in addition to checking locked sessions and not having to do several searches in views and tables of the data dictionary. The tool already does this for you in an agile way."
  • "Another feature is the Resource Manager, where we can manage the consumption of resources of certain queries, separately in resource groups. Depending on the characteristics of the query, queries can be placed in groups that consume less database and hardware resources."
  • "One of the things that can be improved is the quality of results generated by BI Publisher. They are somewhat confusing when it comes to analysis."
  • "The installation steps are very complex and the documentation for them is very generic and does not make very clear the correct steps from the installation to the addition of the host and database."
  • "Another point that can be improved is the agent instability in the monitored hosts, because sometimes an agent has to be resynchronized to recapture the information."

What is our primary use case?

The use case was the monitoring of the database, which included consumption of resources such as CPU, memory, processes, and I/O.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a case where a particular DML command could not perform the required update command on a table, and in this case we saw, within a few minutes, that we had another session doing an exclusive lock on the table. It was caused by an index rebuild command without the "online" option, that marked it to be rotated daily.

What is most valuable?

I believe that one of the most valuable resources this tool has is the ability to check offending processes, which are burdening the hardware resources, and to generate advice quickly that can improve a query's performance.

There are others features as well, such as AWS and ASH report which, in Enterprise Manager, are generated in a more agile way, and with a more friendly interface, helping to detect abnormalities in the database.

What needs improvement?

Another point is in the installation of the product. The installation steps are very complex and the documentation for them is very generic and does not make very clear the correct steps from the installation to the addition of the host and database.

More than five years.
IT Administrator at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Provides very useful insights for application and database performance tuning

What is our primary use case?

Database performance tuning Weblogic server diagnostics Proactive monitoring and alerts for full Oracle infrastructure

How has it helped my organization?

The solution provides very useful insights for application and database performance tuning. We were able to do away with guess work in determining where the bottlenecks were in application performance.

What is most valuable?

Central management of Oracle infrastructure for more efficient administration Advisors provide quick access to Insight and best practice information for performance tuning and configuration.

What needs improvement?

Oracle Data Guard monitoring: There are no alerts for redo log transport failure.

What is our primary use case?

• Database performance tuning
  • Weblogic server diagnostics
  • Proactive monitoring and alerts for full Oracle infrastructure

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Central management of Oracle infrastructure for more efficient administration
  • Advisors provide quick access to Insight and best practice information for performance tuning and configuration.

Andreas-Stylianou
Database & Flexcube System Administrator at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Makes it is easier to manage your backups and create email alerts regarding the status of your backups

• "You can create a system group (database, application, and web server), so you can monitor performance as a system."
  • "It is easier to manage your Oracle Database backups and create email alerts regarding the status of your backups (Succeeded or Failed)."
  • "When registering a host, only if your host is running Linux will you get all the information which is available on EM. It would be nice if in future releases to include IBM AIX (primarily)​ and Microsoft Windows (secondly)​."
  • "You cannot use Enterprise Manager as replacement for a WebLogic console."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case was to have a central web interface where we could administrate all Oracle Database instances.

After installing, I found out that it is not only a database administration console. You could manage hosts, middleware apps (WebLogic), and many more plugins, which are available to download for other vendors' software and databases.

Our banking environment is based on Oracle Databases (11.2.0.4) and our banking software is Oracle FLEXCUBE (12.0.3), which is running on WebLogic (10.3.6). In total, I have about 15 databases registered in Cloud Control and four to five WebLogic consoles, all of which are self-monitored from Oracle Cloud Control 13C monitoring software, and configured to send an email alert when a metric threshold is triggered.

I have registered a testing Microsoft SQL Server environment, but I did not find it very useful (it cannot be used as an alternative or as SQL Server Management Studio).

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control has been really useful for our organisation. Before Enterprise Manager, I had 15 different database consoles with no centralised monitoring or alerting system. With EM, it has been easier to monitor all DB errors. For example, it is possible to register your My Oracle Support account, so when you get an error, it will automatically search for a document in My Oracle Support.

Also, you can create a system group (database, application, and web server), so you can monitor performance as a system.

What is most valuable?

Host-based monitoring is a big advantage of Enterprise Manager.

Now, with EM, it is easier to manage your Oracle Database backups and create email alerts regarding the status of your backups (Succeeded or Failed). I know when a target is up or down (this can be an Oracle Database instance, Listener, WebLogic Server, or even a deployment in the WebLogic Server).

What needs improvement?

When registering a host, only if your host is running Linux will you get all the information which is available on EM. It would be nice if in future releases to include IBM AIX (primarily) and Microsoft Windows (secondly).

When you register a WebLogic server (in our case WebLogic 10.3.6), you can actually do certain things. You cannot use Enterprise Manager as replacement for a WebLogic console.

No different solution was used before.

If you read the prerequisites from My Oracle Support, then installation is straightforward even without the manual. What you need to understand is what to install first, then second.

The implementation was done in-house.

I did not evaluate other options because our core banking system is based on Oracle.

Database Engineer
The documentation and knowledge bases are extensive,so often you can resolve your own issues

How has it helped my organization?

The big win here is alerting - if configured sensibly (don't use the out of the box settings) with some planning this can be a real asset - alerts can also be sent to your problem management system and steered towards exactly the right group of people using target labels such as "line of business" or "department".

What is most valuable?

Alerting, patching, general monitoring. Each host to be monitored requires and agent to be installed and configured - this process is mature and works well.

What needs improvement?

It's much more than a monitoring package - sometimes when scratching beneath the surface you end up with issues . Such as agents requiring security, scan listeners moving about after fail overs, some patching processes failing - these are relatively rare though and considering the breadth of the product I would not consider this an issue.

No system works well.

IF configured correctly this product is fully scalable.

8/9 out of 10 - Oracle support is generally very good - sometimes they need nudging / issues need escalating bit the support model is good.

generally good - the documentation and knowledge bases are extensive - so often you can resolve your own issues.

You need to install oracle middleware and an oracle repository DB back end

Install scripts are good however with proper planning/sizing there shouldn't be any issues.

In-house

OEM is invaluable in many ways, other products can replace bits of it - but the product should be used as a single point from which to view as much of your enterprise as possible.

You will probably already be an Oracle user and so will have an existing license agreement. Add-on's can be pricey though.

Nothing else was considered for Oracle database monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

Its one of those products that you can, and should customise to your own requirements. Don't expect a one off install then leave it to take care of itself. Proper procedures will greatly assist, and time spent discovering features can be very rewarding. Agent deployment is straight forwards, and the agents are light weight and easily maintainable

Regional Team Lead - Applications & Systems Integration at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I was particularly interested in the monitoring and alerting features. The interface could use some work.

What is most valuable?

My interaction with OEM was primarily for governing Oracle 10g/11g databases. I was particularly interested in the monitoring/alerting features, table maintenance automation, performance dash-boarding, and Active Data Guard management.

How has it helped my organization?

I used this with clients, but not internally. For those with larger footprints, but with an inexperienced staff, it really helped to cushion the issues brought on by skill gaps. It also provided greater visibility of database performance for administrators. This helped prompt decisions around capacity and availability.

What needs improvement?

The interface for Data Guard could use some work. We had challenges with switchover/failover testing.

I have used this solution for three years.

We have not had any stability problems.

We have not had any scalability problems. My largest installation had approximately 16 databases. We did not challenge the server's existing compute resources.

Technical support from Oracle was not required during my implementation.

There was no previous solution. The solutions deployed had a fair Oracle footprint, so it was determined that OEM would be the best fit.

The initial setup was straightforward. OEM's GUI is pretty comprehensive and user-friendly. The documentation is very clear in terms of prerequisites and steps to be executed.

The base product, including DB Control, is free. However, additional Ops Center management packs, e.g., Tuning, Lifecycle Management, must be licensed in accordance with Oracle's guidelines. It's very easy to get confused about this. We recommended a comprehensive review of the licensing documentation, or a sit-down meeting with the vendor, prior to installation.

We did not look at any alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the size of the Oracle footprint that you need to monitor, it's a good idea perhaps to pursue an Oracle Licensing Agreement with the vendor. This will allow you to implement management packs more easily. I would recommend this for larger environments of 25 or more databases.

Database Team Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Real-time SQL, performance monitoring and SQL Tuning Advisor are very effective to find problems and to resolve them.

What is most valuable?

Real-time SQL, performance monitoring and SQL Tuning Advisor are the features that I use the most. These features are very effective to find problems and to resolve them.

Besides these, setting alert mechanism, getting AWR reports and monitoring the Exadata hardware are the most useful features.

Also, adding clients remotely from the Oracle Cloud Control 12c screen makes this version different from the earlier ones.

What needs improvement?

There are still doubts as of how to use this tool for administration issues such as storage or replication operations. DBAs still prefer to administer databases by manual commands. They rather use this tool to monitor databases and alert mechanisms.

To be more specific, most DBAs (that I've met) prefer to use “Sqlplus”, “putty”, “secureCRT” command line tools or “Toad” tool to manage replication or to manage storage(tablespace, control file etc) instead of using EM Cloud Control.

They do not feel relaxed using EM Cloud Control for those subjects. Oracle may emphasize on those subject on the trainings. Or Oracle Support Engineers can motivate the customers about using those features if they are really stable.

I have used this solution for more than four years. Before this, I was using earlier versions of the product, i.e, Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g.

With the earlier release, we did encounter stability issues. But, now I use version 12.1.0.4.0. and I do not see any stability problems.

I have used the earlier version (i.e version 11g) and also, I have used dbconsole (i.e., the Oracle Enterprise Manager Console dedicated to one server). I switched to this version so as to administer my database and the Exadata hardware from one point.

The setup is not complex. Everyone can do it by using its official documents as well as the tutorials that can be found from the web easily.

If you plan to use OEM Cloud Control 12c for a corporate company, it will be better to get the Diagnostics and Tuning Pack or the Management license based on your needs. This tool will be your most important assistant. But for smaller goals, you can use the base OEM functions for free (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E246...).

If you use Oracle, you do not have many options. This product is the best for a DBA. But, if you have license limitations, then you can use it with the base functions or you can use Oracle Enterprise Manager Console (dbconsole).

What other advice do I have?

Implementing this version is so much easier than the earlier ones. You do not need to install agents into the client one by one. You can install the agent from one point (i.e., from the OEM Cloud Control 12c screen). You just need some firewall actions before installing the agents. Implementation is easy, there is no need for a lot of engineering.

VM
Head of Oracle Development at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It helps to monitor many of the different targets and resources.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control (EM CC) is the best product for monitoring many of the Oracle databases and other Oracle applications such as Siebel, E-Business Suite, WebLogic.

The product has a common user-friendly interface which provides simple maintenance and administration tasks.

How has it helped my organization?

The Oracle Enterprise Manager (EM) helps to monitor many of the different targets and resources.

It is a flexible system for metrics and for the notifications that inform the DBAs and system administrators, before the occurrance of a problem.

What needs improvement?

I think EM should be able to monitor new products from different vendors. I would like to have unified monitoring interface to monitor other software and hardware, for example: AIX operating systems, including IBM-specific features (HMC, LPAR parameters), disk and tape storages, some optical switches and other enterprise production hardware.

I have been using this solution for about a year.

We did encounter some stability issues but many of them were fixed.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

I would give the technical support a rating of about 7/10. This estimation is true for the Oracle support in general.

I used some open-source products, like Zabbix. I moved from the open-source products over to Oracle EM because it has many embedded metrics.

This product has a simple installation. All of the steps are described in depth in the Oracle documentation and I didn't have any problems with it.

From what I know, Oracle EM CC requires the Oracle Diagnostics and Tuning Pack license if you want to monitor Oracle databases.

Oracle EM is a unique product, i.e., if you need to monitor many of the Oracle products in detail.

What other advice do I have?

My opinion is that this product must be used in companies that have many Oracle databases.

it_user524421
Oracle DBA with 10,001+ employees
Users see the real-time behavior of the database and can diagnose where an issue may exist.

What is most valuable?

The performance feature is most valuable to me. It allows the user to see the real-time behavior of the database and diagnose where an issue may exist. It also has advisor functions that give recommendations on what to do to fix any problems with performance of the database.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has made it possible to reduce the size of the performance team and still be able to correctly monitor all the databases and fix issues quickly, resulting in fewer downtimes.

What needs improvement?

This product is a web-based tool and sometimes has conflicts with some web browsers. This can be improved to make it more compatible with most of the popular web browsers.

I have used it for two years.

I encountered no issues with stability of the product.

As the number of databases increased, the tool got a bit slower. Its response time increased with larger number of databases.

Oracle provides excellent technical support for the product.

I did not previously use a different product.

Initial set up seems a bit complex from the beginning. Because it’s a web-based tool, it requires proper configuration to function properly with the browser.

For all the real-time benefits you get from using the product, I can say it is worth the price for licensing.

Before choosing this product, I did not get the chance to evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Take time to study how to use the product. It is very helpful, if it is put to maximum use.

Database Administrator at a recruiting/HR firm
RMAN backup jobs can be created and all the database instances can be monitored from one place.

What is most valuable?

There are lot of features in this product that I like. Among them are that RMAN backup jobs can be created, and that all the database instances can be monitored from one place. Tablespaces can be monitored and data files can be added when required. Also, it's easy to generate ADDM, ASK, and AWR reports.

How has it helped my organization?

In my organization, the RMAN backup jobs are configured through this product. Also, we have test, prod, UAT, and QA servers. All these database instances are easy to monitor from this product.

What needs improvement?

I think the help file should include more in-depth documents for the user to collaborate with all aspects of the product even if they haven't had product training.

I have been using it for three years, and before that I used Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control.

Once, after migrating the server, we had an issue of not being able to start it. We wanted to restore the OEM12C to another server, but the process was so complicated and the testing was not successful. Later, we were able to continue with the previous one.

We have had no stability issues.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

The level of customer service and technical support are good. I understand the product is highly technical, so sometimes issues need more investigative time.

I used Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control and switched because this is the updated version and it's in the cloud. There are a lot of benefits behind using the cloud, and we wanted to take advantage of using the cloud through this product.

The initial setup was straightforward since we followed the setup guide, which was easy to follow. However, in some cases we faced some issues, but they were easy to figured out.

My company implemented it through a vendor team before I joined. Since the product was new and very few people had advanced knowledge of the product at that time, they preferred to implement it through the vendor team.

What other advice do I have?

The product is good for monitoring all databases, but in some cases it's not easy to maintain. For example, if the server crashes and we need to restore the monitoring system, it's very complex. This product is very good for monitoring purposes as well as for cloud databases.

it_user419211
Associate at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The two most valuable features we've found are the email notifications and the live, real-time monitoring. It would be nice if there was a way to seamlessly clone the configurations.

What is most valuable?

In our experience, the two most valuable features we've found are the email notifications and the live, real-time monitoring. They really allow us to stay on top of things.

How has it helped my organization?

As contractors, we manage a whole bunch of different environments and servers. EM Cloud Control gives me a good way to look at everything in one snapshot and to stay on top of daily monitoring.

Another big thing is that it helps with the down time. Instead of having to wait for a user to report an issue, I get an email notification, and most times I can fix it before anybody even knows that something went down.

What needs improvement?

They're moving everything off of our currents servers into the cloud. It would be nice if there was a way to seamlessly clone the configurations onto Cloud Control and then into the new environment so that I don't have to reconfigure everything.

We've had no issues with deployment.

The stability is pretty good. Sometimes it runs slowly, but that may be due to our network. Generally, though, it's good. The downside is that there is a lot of configuration overhead to get it working the way you want.

We only have one instance of it running. We're not so big that scalability is a concern.

We've had a few issues, opened CRs, and had no trouble getting them resolved. So technical support has been good.

We were using Grid Control and we switched as we didn't have a place to have just one dashboard with everything on it.

The initial setup is not hard; it's just time-consuming.

What other advice do I have?

What it does, it does well, but it's so complex. There are a lot of quirks to get it to do what you want it to do. Do blackouts before you take anything down, because if you don't, you will get a gigantic shit storm.

it_user8583
Database Expert with 501-1,000 employees
EM12c - A Step Backwards?
Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c is mostly a better product than the 10g version we were using before. But I am getting really frustrated with the Explain Plan functionality. A big part of my job is performance tuning and monitoring running SQL. And to do that you need a clear, quick, stable view of the query plan, along with all pertinent information, such as the total cost of the plan. in EM10g, we had that. EM12c, though, is a huge step backwards. Specifically: 1. When using the "Real Time: 15 sec refresh" function, every refresh shows the "Graphical" version of the Plan. You have to then switch to the "Tabular" version, if that's what you prefer. 2. The "Tabular" view in EM10g included a summary top line showing the total cost, total IO cost, total CPU cost, etc.…

EM12c, though, is a huge step backwards.

Specifically:

2. The "Tabular" view in EM10g included a summary top line showing the total cost, total IO cost, total CPU cost, etc. This is no longer available in EM12c.

3. Previously, each node of the Plan was (if appropriate) a link back to the object referenced by that step of the plan. So if the optimizer had chosen an index lookup, you could click on the index name in the plan and go to the index definition page. Superb for deciding whether the optimizer had chosen a"good" or "bad" index. Now, in EM12c, there's no drill-down functionality in the Plan. One needs to open a separate tool to analyze table or index structures alongside the EM12c Plan page. This is a terrible step backwards.

4. Not a feature in 10g or 12c, but it would be nice to be able to set one's preferred view of the plan to "Graphical" or "Tabular" and for that view to remain, no matter what refresh setting is being used in View Data.

Unless I'm missing something obvious -- and please tell me if I am! -- Oracle have really messed up here. I'm surprised no-one else has spotted these as issues. Am I alone? Or have I really missed something in the configuration?

The ability to easily view and compare SQL Plans in EM10g was great. It should have been better in EM12c. But Oracle has made it worse. It's virtually unusable now. I have to go outside EM and use TOAD to get decent Plans now. Oracle - please re-instate the original functionality.

UPDATE: Oracle have confirmed that I'm not being dim and missing something obvious. The functionality that was there in OEM 10g and 11g has been 'designed away'! I've asked MOS to raise an enhancement request to put it back in.