Oracle Enterprise Manager Overview

Oracle Enterprise Manager is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Database Development and Management tools. It is most often compared to AppDynamics: Oracle Enterprise Manager vs AppDynamics

What is Oracle Enterprise Manager?

As an IT operations professional, your job is more critical than ever because cloud operations are now a fact of life. For example, you must address the concerns of corporate compliance auditors one minute, and the next minute, deal with end users who signed up for cloud services without consulting you first. So, what are you to do?

Not to worry! Oracle provides a single solution for managing both situations. Oracle Enterprise Manager provides a “single pane of glass” that allows you to manage on-premises and cloud-based IT using the same familiar interface you know and use on-premises every day.

For more information on Oracle Enterprise Manager, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Enterprise Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Enterprise Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Oracle Enterprise Manager Customers
7-Eleven, Halliburton, Cisco, Garmin, Nationwide, Korea Telecom, Allied Irish Bank
Oracle Enterprise Manager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Enterprise Manager pricing:
  • "Based upon 3 days of implementation by a single person, plus licensing costs would be approximately $60,000, including the virtualized hosts."
  • "Evaluate your requirements carefully. Elaborate DR and HA setup of OEM can become expensive."
  • "Be careful to only enable the packs for which you have a license as this is an issue we see time and again."
  • "There are a few bugs with the software which require opening SRs with Oracle Support which contribute to the day-to-day cost. Perhaps 8 hours per month is spent dealing with support, just as a rough guess."
  • "The solution is inexpensive to purchase."

James Lui
Team Lead - Oracle Applications DBA at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very helpful to have the ability to enable centralized control & administration of Oracle products from a single console

What is our primary use case?

Provide 24x7 monitoring of application system availability for both on-premise, and on-cloud application systems, and forecasting data relating to overall system utilization (or under-utilization.)

• "The 13cR2 updates to the OEM family, strongly integrate Cloud (off-site, hybrid and on-premise) services providing a seamless way to see all of your resources regardless of where they are deployed."
  • "Reporting and statistical charting is largely still left up the end-user to develop custom solutions."

What other advice do I have?

Analyze your daily monitoring and service intervention needs, based upon the available (or target) headcount, otherwise you may find yourself inundated with more alerts and notifications than can actually be handled by your staff. Don't just turn on all the alerting and notifications out of the box. Start with what you know you want and are capable of responding to, and closing effectively. Enable those. Then work outwards towards the nice-to-know, or discovery alerts. Currently, depending on your implementation and use timeframe, you may also want to evaluate the Oracle Management Cloud…
Kopano  Ramaphoi
Information Technology Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good user interface and very interactive but difficult to adjust to for first-time users

What is our primary use case?

I was previously using it for my own personal use. I didn't need much. I was using it to connect a database. I connected the database, and then the Linux host. I also wanted to test various remote hosts. Unfortunately, since I was installing on a machine that didn't have enough resources, I was not able to connect it to deploy those agents. For me to have done that, I needed a platform that had adequate resources like RAM and storage. After installing it, it just consumed everything that I had. I only have 16GB RAM. It was not enough for me to try others. I was basically using it to test how… more »

• "There are a number of different user interfaces you can choose from."
  • "There's a lot of documentation to go through as a new user."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We have no relationship with the vendor. There is a more up to date version, 18.42, however, I have not started using it yet as it requires some patching. Currently, I'm on version 18.4, which is quite stable. I would recommend the solution to others. In fact, I've already met many people in which I have done just that. It's only been a month using the product and already I've noticed that it is quite effective. Since I haven't done quite a lot in terms of production learning, I will just rate it at seven out of ten at this time.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Enterprise Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Robin Saikat Chatterjee
Head of Oracle Exadata Centre of Excellence at Tata Consultancy Services
OracLe Enterpise Manager allows us to quickly drill down when there are issues and to get a real time view of the Oracle database internals

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise Manager is a single window plane of glass which allows one to look into every aspect of the systems deployed in an organization. We use it to mange our internal infrastructure, including Oracle Exadata, Oracle Exalytics, Oracle VMs, ERP solutions (such as Oracle Applications and Fusion Middleware, like SOA and AIA), and Oracle Linux servers.

• "This solution allows us to quickly drill down when there are issues."
  • "We use it extensively for performance tuning testing, monitoring, and configuration."
  • "The product is pretty comprehensive, but quite resource hungry. This might be due to the majority of the application seemingly being written in Java."
  • "Better mobile access would be useful."

What other advice do I have?

If you are an Oracle shop, or even an Oracle SI, then familiarity with Oracle one stop management solution is an imperative. Everything ties into this solution, so it has become a de facto standard for Oracle-based software given that the base is free to use with Oracle products. There is no downside to deploying this solution in your data center.
Chris Bradham
Senior Technical Director at AEM Corporation
Represents the best of the breed. Very powerful product and should be used to automate more key DBA type tasks.

What is our primary use case?

We use OEM for managing Production, Test and Development environments. It provides a centralized location for proactively administering all database components with the ability to do much more.

• "SQL Tuning Advisor, ADDM, Top Activity, ASM Space Manager, Incident Notifications"
  • "Patching. It's extremely difficult to determine what requires patching and the process to patch each component is slightly different."

What other advice do I have?

The product is very powerful and should be used to automate more key DBA type tasks. Performance tuning bad SQL becomes extremely simplified as long as you leverage the out of box capabilities and you have purchased the Tuning and Diagnostic Pack. Those are a must have to really take advantage of the capabilities.
VB
Senior Project Manager - IT Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Mature and reliable with excellent support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a database.

• "The tried and tested services that Oracle provides is second to none."
  • "The solution is considered expensive."

What other advice do I have?

We're working with the latest version of the solution. We're on the service industry side of the business. Whatever our clients need we work to accommodate. Whether they prefer an Oracle server or a Microsoft option, we'll work with them to meet their needs. We don't exclusively deal with Oracle. We would never push our clients to use specific technologies. We just suggest options and highlight the features that best apply to their use cases. Then, we simply follow their wishes and deliver on their expectations. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten overall. They're very competitive in the…
AT
Database Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good graphical user interface and good monitoring but does not scale

• "Due to the infrastructure's size, the introduction they offer is very, very useful. It helps with an overall understanding of the product."
  • "The solution has a very large resource system. It's too big. There are too many items."

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Oracle. We have a business relationship with the company. I have more than 20 years in the IT sector. I am a database engineer. We tend to use the latest version of the solution, however, we have clients on older versions. We have one client, for example, on version 12. I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten, overall. We're mostly satisfied with the product.
Prerak Trivedi
Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
OEM provides an easy way to reach the root cause of a problem and resolve it.

What is our primary use case?

Web services and environment status by ping service and SOAP & Restful web service request. check on JVM and other transaction monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a license contract with Oracle and if you have a lifetime agreement on service on any product from Oracle then this product is worth using. Otherwise it's best to explore the option of using an open source product. Not worth it for start up companies.
AS
Manager Database at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Full monitoring visibility, simply to use, a complete package

What is our primary use case?

The main usage is for monitoring performance, a major part of the software is you can define some virtualization for RAM utilization. You can set up something and then you will start getting alerts which you can do some optimizations from the information.

• "It is the best monitoring tool for Oracle databases."
  • "In my experience, the monitoring could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I am going to continue to use this product in the future. I rate Oracle Enterprise Manager a nine out of ten.
See 4 more Oracle Enterprise Manager Reviews