Oracle Enterprise Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Enterprise Manager is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Database Development and Management tools. It is most often compared to AppDynamics: Oracle Enterprise Manager vs AppDynamics

What is Oracle Enterprise Manager?

As an IT operations professional, your job is more critical than ever because cloud operations are now a fact of life. For example, you must address the concerns of corporate compliance auditors one minute, and the next minute, deal with end users who signed up for cloud services without consulting you first. So, what are you to do?

Not to worry! Oracle provides a single solution for managing both situations. Oracle Enterprise Manager provides a “single pane of glass” that allows you to manage on-premises and cloud-based IT using the same familiar interface you know and use on-premises every day.

For more information on Oracle Enterprise Manager, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Enterprise Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Enterprise Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Oracle Enterprise Manager Customers
7-Eleven, Halliburton, Cisco, Garmin, Nationwide, Korea Telecom, Allied Irish Bank
Oracle Enterprise Manager Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

reviewer960693
Software Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

What is our primary use case?

For masking purposes, and for case studies with the other existing masking tools existing in the market.

How has it helped my organization?

It has a very good user interface, and the controls are user-friendly. Many useful options are available.

What is most valuable?

The masking features are good, and many new options and features are available in OEM for masking when compared to other tools.

What needs improvement?

With regards to masking still, some options could be added like running in simulation mode, creation of audit file option, file summary, file after masking.

Less than one year.
JQ
Senior Enterprise Database Engineer at Genesis Financial Solutions
User
It has eased the responsibilities among our DBAs

What is our primary use case?

I use Oracle Enterprise Manager for database administration and to manage our IT help desk. It is also used to scope database issues which need support in a production environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle Enterprise Manager has eased the responsibilities among our DBAs. We can now assign individual tasks to separate DBAs.

What is most valuable?

I have found the singular GUI feature very helpful. Fewer DBA resources can be allocated with Toad licenses.

What needs improvement?

They should improve the hover text context. This would provide assistance whenever a task is attempted by a DBA.

More than five years.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Enterprise Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Alessandro Guimarães
Gerente da Unidade de Negocio Oracle at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Streamlines diagnosis of database issues, has tuning capabilities for most issues found

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Enterprise Manager primarily for database management, with a focus on performance monitoring. Our environments are composed of both standalone and cluster databases which, in turn, are deployed in Oracle appliances like ODA and Exadata, as well as others hardware vendors. In addition, we use the tool to create, configure and manage high-availability environments using Oracle Data Guard and Real Application Clusters, automation of manual activities and patching.

• "With ASH Analytics, ADDM, Real-Time SQL Monitoring, SQL Tuning Advisor, we can measure SLAs, detect performance hotspots, perform deep diagnostics into specific tiers, tune applications, and remediate."
  • "It can also help with capacity planning, sizing, and maximizing overall performance in a large scale environment."

What other advice do I have?

To me this is the best product for enterprise database management. I rate it a 10 out of 10. Now, before you implement, you can do several tests with the Enterprise Manager templates VMS, available from Oracle. Also, check the compatibility matrix and try to always keep your system up to date.
    Gokhan Atil
    Database Architect, Oracle ACE Director at Bilyoner.com
    Provides comprehensive management and monitoring for Oracle products

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control to monitor and manage our Oracle and MySQL databases.

What other advice do I have?

First, check the compatibility index and be sure that your targets are supported with the version you’re planning to install. I also advise keeping your system up-to-date by installing patches regularly.
    it_user521991
    Oracle DB A
    I'm able to monitor the cluster levels; all the information is consolidated in one place

• "I mostly use the top events, and look at how the execution is happening on the database; and monitoring the cluster level rates. I even look at the execution plan."
    • "I would say mostly backup and recovery, through the Enterprise Manager. Or any corruptions, to be able to fix them through Enterprise Manager."

What other advice do I have?

When looking at a vendor the most important criterion I'm focused on is timely support. A person available, and the ability of the person in support to fix the problem immediately. I also prefer anyone that is a market leader or that has a lot of options, and they know what they're doing. I give it an eight out of 10 because I still feel that there are more improvements that need to be done. Go use it first and see whether it's meeting your requirements. Then, if you're happy, go from there.
    it_user522069
    DB A at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Real-time alerting allows me to get right on issues and correct them as quickly as possible

What other advice do I have?

In choosing a vendor our most important criteria are affected by the fact that we work for the Children's Hospital Research Institute. They're a non-profit so budgets are always tight. Cost would be the primary factor, and vendors being willing to negotiate, for non-profit companies, on the prices. Be sure that you have the people with the skill sets to be able to use the tool, or be willing to invest in the training to learn how to use the tool. It's a more mature stable product.
    it_user522051
    Is Business Analyst at Emerge
    Facilitates data capture and processing based on what we need for analysis

What other advice do I have?

We went with Oracle because we were looking for stability, a vendor that is reliable, being able to get help, troubleshooting when there's a problem. I think those are the important ones. I would recommend looking into it.
    it_user521871
    Lead / Senior Systems Analyst at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides a "health check" of our system and application so we can tweak performance

What other advice do I have?

When looking at, and selecting, a vendor to buy from, the most important criteria I look for are the stability of the product, scalability, and technical support after that. We went with Oracle because it is the main brand. It's good to use. We're not having issues with it.
    it_user522057
    DBA at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Monitors all our Oracle infrastructure and as a DBA I also use it for SQL monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We primarily using this for the monitoring, it monitors all our Oracle infrastructure. As a DBA I also use it for SQL monitoring and for performance tuning analysis.

What is most valuable?

It's user friendly.

How has it helped my organization?

We have Oracle Accelerator. We heard this is a better tool for monitoring Accelerator. But it's more than monitoring just that, we have extended the monitoring to DB2 and SQL Server platforms.

What needs improvement?

I think they have already listed some things in 13c. I heard it includes a couple of features we are looking for like monitoring templates. I want to explore those features. Probably they will be included in 13c.

We have been using it for the last…
    it_user522258
    Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    ​Fast and compatible, easy to customize, has improved our security

What is most valuable?

The look and feel I think. Fast and compatible. It's easy to customize.

How has it helped my organization?

Security.

What needs improvement?

The performance, I feel. The performance needs to be increased a little bit.Sometimes it will take some time to open forms, so I feel it should be a little bit faster.

Downtime is there, but it depends on the user's needs.

Scales well.

They're good.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it. You should learn it; you need to know about it before you start using it. There are tools and thing which can help. There is development training you can…
    it_user522156
    Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Presents the full picture, everything in one place

What is most valuable?

Everything you do; you can see the whole picture. You can everything in one place. That's very good, very convenient.

What needs improvement?

Easier to read. For example, on the home page of information, under Adm, that should be a little bit easier to read. Sometimes you have to spend a lot of time to read and understand what's going on there.

Very stable.

Scaling is okay.

I've opened tickets a few times. They are quick to respond, get back to you quickly. I'm happy with it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend learning and using OEM right away. It will cut down the time put in by…
    it_user521940
    DBA with 10,001+ employees
    Enables us to proactively monitor multiple databases and avoid downtime

What other advice do I have?

Every step and all the documentation is there on the Oracle site, so there is nothing for me to suggest. It is the most up-to-date tool as of now for monitoring, that's it.
    it_user44463
    Lead Database Administrator
    As a troubleshooter, I was able to quickly resolve memory issues with this product

What is most valuable?

The speed at which I can drill down to isolate issues.

How has it helped my organization?

As a troubleshooter, I was able to quickly resolve memory issues. Finding the top 10 longest running queries helped to control query performance issues.

What needs improvement?

Metrics settings could be improved to be more intuitive. Installation process could be easier.  There could be better configuration documentation.

10 years.

No issues.

Stability is good. No issues.

I do not have a need for this product's scalability.

Which solution did I use

it_user744699
    Database Administrator Manager at a international affairs institute with 11-50 employees
    Able to monitor several other database products across various OS platforms

What other advice do I have?

Excellent product for enterprise monitoring: The tool is able to monitor several other database products across various OS platforms. All database-related tasks can be performed on an Oracle DB from inside this tool. I do recommend deploying agents on everything you can find, then going to see what useful data exists in your management views.
    CA
    Team Lead, Database Administration at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Wait-events can be viewed and investigated in real-time, making resolution easier

• "Some of the most valuable features are its real-time performance view/dashboard, metric history, real-time monitoring and alerts, as well as quick access to Oracle's tuning and diagnostic options."
    • "I feel more dashboards can be added, especially those useful to higher levels of IT management."

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Enterprise Manager is great for monitoring and administering Oracle hardware and software. However, administrators should ensure that their actions are limited to free and licensed features only, otherwise there may be trouble at the next Oracle license review.
    it_user240024
    Managing Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The Database Consolidation Workbench provides a flexible approach for various customer scenarios.

• "It is a comprehensive, end-to-end solution for managing database consolidation, something that has been missing and difficult to do."
    • "It needs to support the Database versions lower than 10.2."

What other advice do I have?

This is one of the most important additions to Oracle Enterprise Manager from both the business perspective and DBA point-of-view. Start first with upgrading OEM 11g or 12c to 13c as the Database Consolidation Workbench was introduced first in Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 13c as part of the Real Application Testing option. Run different scenarios within different projects in order to pick the best strategy. Always validate at the end.
    it_user515583
    Senior Database Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Some of the valuable features are Database Management, SQL Tuning, and Performance Management.

What is most valuable?

Database Management, SQL Tuning, Performance Management, SQL Monitoring, Performance Tuning Pack, SQL Diagnostic Pack, ADDM, AWR, and real time SQL monitoring.

What needs improvement?

it would be helpful if OEM is integrated with OBIEE reports and free report viewer without a license.

We have been using the overall OEM for over eight years.

There were no deployment issues.

We used DBArtisan, Embarcadero technologies, and Quest tools.
    it_user521883
    DB Manager at Secure-24
    MSP
    we have a thousand databases and the way you can get to the metrics, quickly figure out the ETA to fix a problem, these are the things that I love.

• "I think the look and feel and the accessibility to the databases, the scale of environment support."
    • "We could use it but definitely with some effort we can streamline much better and sometimes some box here and there, like 13C you have to really wait, but there are great features. Just have to make sure it is a stable product."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it. Yeah, just get the stable product right now, 12C, and probably 6 months down the line I could even recommend 13C.
    it_user515430
    User at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Allows you to manage databases via groups. Performance tuning tools need improvement.

What is most valuable?

Managing databases via groups Running AWR and ADDM reports is simple and quick. Performance graphs are good to share with application teams and database users.

How has it helped my organization?

Warnings and alerts are sent to the primary DBA.  Primary DBAs address the alerts in a timely manner, instead of waiting for it to become an issue.

What needs improvement?

Performance tuning tools need improvement.

We have been using this for five years.

The system has minimal issues with stability. The system has about 1500 databases currently.

There are no issues with scalability. the system is stable…
    it_user515322
    User at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Valuable features include SQLrun and the performance page.

What is most valuable?

Valuable features include SQLrun and the performance page.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us in terms of automated switch-over and fail-over.

What needs improvement?

The SQLrun sometimes does not work, and it crashes most of the time.

We have been using this for two years.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Customer service is good. Technical Support: Technical support is…
    it_user515415
    Sr Oracle DBA at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    One of the valuable features is performance drill down.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is performance drill down.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see drill-down tabs.

We have been using this for eight years.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

We did not use a previous solution.

The implementation was done in-house.
    it_user436065
    IT Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It makes it very easy for us to manage our infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

I think the fact that I can manage all of our infrastructure, all the hardware and software, from one place which makes it very useful.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes it very easy for us to manage our infrastructure so that's important from a company perspective.

What needs improvement?

It's very expensive.

I think it's fine, there's no issue there.

I think it's fine, there's no issue there.

It's implemented just fine. It's fairly easy. Combination of an easy product and also technical expertise as well.

What other advice do I have?

It's very expensive.
    it_user522195
    Senior Oracle DBA at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    You can plug into the solution and you can perform any sort of operation with one click of a button.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it. There are a lot of people who like to write scripts and stuff. If they are comfortable writing scripts then definitely they could use it. But many things can be done which cannot be done through scripting. I would recommend you give it a try. Definitely once you give it a try you will like using it.
    it_user486507
    Software Engineer, Banking Officer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    The best features are the usability and the interface.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a great product, but make sure that you have people on staff that are familiar with it, or get your staff familiarized with it, because there are a lot of things that you need to learn to maintain it.
    it_user517617
    Director at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We actively monitor the databases and can get ahead of any issues.
    it_user500253
    Lead Architect (Oracle Ebusiness Suite, OBIEE, BI Apps, EPM) at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Metric Extensions can be defined on any target: hosts, databases, and so on.

What other advice do I have?

It is one of the best, state-of-the-art products from Oracle; truly a single pane of glass to manage IT infrastructure.
    it_user522018
    DBA at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    You can get a healthful overview of all your targets in one snapshot.

What other advice do I have?

PoC is a good starting point. It doesn't hurt to have a PoC and have some of the environmental test or something monitored by that environment. You learn from that. Then you take the best practices, which are already there from the various laws and Oracle published notes and you incorporate that. It's not hard.
    it_user522108
    Senior Client Partner at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It is web-based. You can access it from anywhere. Access to taxation data would be great.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a solution that is accessible, because of the global nature of the workforce, I think this is a good solution. From the features perspective, I see there's still more that could be done, as I have mentioned.
    it_user522063
    DBA at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    We use it for day-to-day performance monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. It's very good. It's pretty user-friendly. You just go with the flow. Just click on what you need to see and take it from there. We don't see any specialized training required to use it. We integrate it with Oracle E-Business Suite and it works fine. I'm very happy with it.
    it_user522126
    Oracle DBA at Group Dynamite Inc
    I see which SQL is causing the problem, drill down, and apply a profile to that SQL.

What other advice do I have?

I would give the same advice that I saw at the conference, with the old DBA and the young person that had no clue of what was going on behind the scenes of that database. How that young person, with a little bit of knowledge, was able to resolve an issue a lot quicker than the older person with all their fancy scripts. Right now, we're at the very same version of OEM, so we haven't changed anything. Our company is very difficult when it comes to change. They've got a mindset that if it's not broken, don't fix it. They always look at us, especially IT, as an expense. Enterprise Manager Express…
    it_user521820
    Sr. Software Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    We can define RES service or sub-service and have multiple platforms hitting the service. We use this as a security layer.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to others. One of the things with Oracle is that they are expensive. They have to cut down their costs so that a smaller organization can easily adapt to these features. Although those who have an enterprise platform and wouldn’t mind spending the money on this product, should go for it.
    it_user521547
    Senior System Analyst at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The database monitor is the most valuable feature for us. System response is too slow.

What is most valuable?

Monitoring of the database is the most valuable feature, because we want to know what's going on there.

How has it helped my organization?

It is timely, if you want to add some memory or whatever. That's seems to be timely.

What needs improvement?

I don’t think the response system is that good. It is too slow.

It's pretty stable.

Scaling requires a little more configuration work.

I have not had to use technical support.

Initial setup is pretty straightforward. We don't integrate it with anything else. It runs as a standalone piece.

What other advice do I have?

it_user522192
    Oracle Database Architect at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    We use it to monitor sites without scripting, maintain all databases in one place, and standardize code.

What other advice do I have?

I feel that it's a good tool. The only thing is that you need to read the documentation before starting anything. As you mentioned about the size, you need to know how may databases you want to monitor in the company, and pick the right size.
    it_user522087
    Lead Database Administrator at Accertify inc
    Database environment monitoring minimizes downtime and notifies us of performance issues.

What other advice do I have?

There is online documentation. He has to go look around and see what he can get, and then implement it if he wants to.
    it_user522081
    Senior Application Manager at HDR inc
    We are able to track our engineers' time correctly. The methodology for pulling data together is complex.

What other advice do I have?

The reason why we chose this vendor is because they were familiar with the product now, and they gave a better judgement of the product itself. Oracle is more flexible and you can convert it as per your business. That is why we have this solution. Whereas in other ERP products like SAP, we cannot customize the product and we need to use what exactly they provide. We are going to see how it is helping the organization. That is the way we are going to do research.
    it_user521916
    IT Manager at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The graphical interface makes it handy to monitor the databases. Because of stability issues, we didn't roll it out into production.

What other advice do I have?

Based on our experience, if you are looking for a certain type of requirement, it would work. The main requirement for us was stability since we run machine-critical applications. Resiliency is really the main requirement from our side, even beyond scalability. We run a company that provides services for banks and financial institutions, and resiliency is the most important factor, especially for a product like OEM. Security is equally important but for OEM, we don't really expose anything, so it's fine. It's more of a monitoring interface.
    it_user521577
    Sr. IT Professional and Database Expert at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    You can check your SQL executions and how the SQLs are progressing in terms of any blocks or contention in the database.

What other advice do I have?

Stability and responsiveness are the two major factors while choosing a product. Right now, response time is the most critical aspect for our organization and that is what we need. If you database scalability is more or if your infrastructure is as big as the product we have, Oracle is the only solution out there. There are other competitors, but they are all NoSQL database tools. Thus, Oracle stands out.
    it_user521619
    Oracle/SQL Server Database Administrator at Chevron
    My company chose it because we can see that it's going to be more aligned with the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

My company choose to use this product because I can see that it's going to be more aligned with the technology, with the cloud. It's more robust, and we can see it's going to be an essential product for IT. When I’m deciding whether to work with a vendor such as Oracle, I look for kind of a mix that includes reliability and strategic too: How does it fit into the enterprise system? I recommend Oracle Enterprise Manager.
    it_user521964
    Division Officer at a government with 10,001+ employees
    Automated alerts tell me when I have an issue before a user calls.

What other advice do I have?

Go to training first. We did it the other way around: We tried to figure it out, and then go to training. That’s fine, as long as there isn’t a big gap between when you're going to implement it, and when you've been trained. We probably would have saved a lot of angst and issues if we were properly trained first. Our biggest issue is learning all the features. There are more bells and whistles than we're probably using; getting familiar with the capabilities, and then actually being able to execute them. I'm happy with it. I think we're not leveraging it enough, but for what we use it for…
    it_user521925
    DBA at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The new versions have user-friendly graphical interfaces. We are using multiple nodes and we have faced scalability issues.

What other advice do I have?

If someone came to me and asked my opinion, I would recommend this product.
    it_user521865
    Senior Database Administrator at Robert Half
    It presents the health of the database at a particular point, in real time.

What other advice do I have?

My high rating reflects its ease of use and that it contains a host of features, anything and everything a database administrator would want it to perform; all the way from creating a database to adding space, to performance monitoring, to back up and recovery, to exports and imports, and security. You name it, they have it. Cloud is the big buzzword. The reason why companies are moving from on-prem to cloud is cost-cutting. IT companies knowingly or unknowingly have spent top dollars on IT, but the thought process is changing. It all boils down to cost-cutting. Basically, the IT companies…
    it_user522171
    Senior Manager For Application And Database Architecture at Wesco Aircraft
    It provides visibility for Oracle and non-Oracle hardware, software, and middleware.

What other advice do I have?

Try to understand what OEM can do for you. Exploit it and its feature set. For example, I can modify the back-end storage through OEM. I don't have to go to my ZS4 console to see how much space I have, how to administer it, or how to allocate storage space to a particular project. I can do that through OEM. That's the power of having a single pane for control. When I’m looking at a vendor such as Oracle, support is the most important criteria. Over the years, Oracle product has improved the stability, so that the most important thing now is how fast they can provide solutions when I need their…
    it_user522240
    Healthcare Operations Supervisor – Optum Health San Francisco at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    I can see the whole picture and analyze the data.

What other advice do I have?

I like it. I would encourage a colleague or friend looking for advice to use Oracle.
    it_user521988
    Database Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The automating diagnostic monitor (ADM) is valuable. I don't see anything like a dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

It's pretty self-explanatory; just log in and explore the options. That's it. I believe training would help. An expert can go over several options and make it easier.
    it_user522186
    Database Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    It is easy for the novice DBA to drill down and find problems that might otherwise be difficult to find.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the reputation and the size of the company. These products are often very expensive. It is better to go with someone who has been around for a long time and who would continue to be in business, as opposed to flavor-of-the-month products. When I am looking at a vendor such as Oracle, the most important criteria that I am looking for from them are market reputation, the scale of the company, and the stability.
    it_user522135
    IT Specialist at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It monitors SQL Server components in addition to Oracle database components.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very robust tool. You will find there are many links and it's easy to navigate, but it might take you some time to learn where everything's at.
    it_user522168
    DBA at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
    What makes it valuable is that we have one single pane that we can access to get all of our information.

What other advice do I have?

Look into OEM, especially if you have a lot of databases that you want to monitor, or other products. It provides a single pane of information that you can use, and drill down capabilities to find exact problems. When I select a vendor such as Oracle to work with, I look for them to be reliable, provide value and so on.
    it_user522066
    Lead App Adviser at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It moves data, runs business rules, and runs calculation scripts. It's new and the user interface is clunky.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend using the product for similar situations, just because it does technically integrate all the Oracle products together, especially in the EPM space. Reputation is a big part of the decision regarding which vendor to work with. The other part is strategy: Do they have partners that can help us strategize on implementation? We don't need people on the keyboard, we need people helping us with setting up the big picture.
    it_user521574
    Bhavinee Patel at Apple
    The GUI is user friendly. We can see the monitoring tools for the host or database.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very flexible, straightforward installation. It's user friendly, usable day by day and we can see the database monitoring, host monitoring, everything. When I’m looking at a vendor such as Oracle, I look for good tech support, reliability, and stability.
    Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Video Review
    The neatest feature is the single pane of glass for the whole stack. As an admin it gives me the ability to look all the way up from my storage to the application tier.

What other advice do I have?

Enterprise Manager, I'd probably rate it a nine and a half. If you're not running it, install it and run it.
    it_user521859
    Enterprise Architect at Revenu QuŽbec
    It automates alerting. I would like to see better support for Oracle GoldenGate.

What other advice do I have?

Go only with the out-of-the-box configuration first. Let it run for a while like that to learn the product. Learn a few things before trying to configure everything in it. When I’m selecting a vendor, price is a big factor. Licensing is a big factor. It has to do the job we need it for. Those are the most important criteria.
    it_user488784
    System Architect at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
    It reduces overall required downtime. Better stability is required.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Oracle solutions like T5 Super-Cluster, T5-8 and Oracle Solaris 11 operating systems, as they are highly scalable and fault-tolerant systems.
    Farooq Khalid
    Manager DBA at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We checked various Monitoring software but OEM provided us with the greatest ability for productivity

What other advice do I have?

I feel that this a 5 star product because of how easy it is to configure and the vast features that are available.
    it_user436146
    President at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    The agents for setup makes it easier to monitor databases as well as servers and SANs. Using, setting up, and maintaining the agents can be tedious.

What other advice do I have?

If you are going to be database-heavy, and that is what you are going to be monitoring the most, then Enterprise Manager might be your best bet. If not, there are other options out there to look at to see which pieces you need to monitor. Do we need to monitor applications, servers, and networks? Figure out which part you're going to need for that.
    it_user436173
    Senior Oracle Database Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    As the DBA it give me a graphical representation of what's going on with my Oracle footprint, and it's quick to display where I would have issues and where I can correct them.

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation, because we found and still find it extremely complicated to bind the latest versions of the database into Enterprise Manager. It was much easier in earlier versions, but much more complicated now.
    it_user436206
    Oracle Applications DBA/UNIX SA at a agriculture with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's great being able to see that all the information you need is in front of you on the screen.

What other advice do I have?

Follow the directions as the setup and implementation are all nicely laid out for you.
    Manager of Oracle Technology/DevOpsManager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is intuitive when it comes to performance tuning, metrics, and monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

You need OEM if you are having Oracle databases. OEM is very expensive, but it does some nice things like memory advisors and ADDM reports. There are products that complement OEM, but they can't replace it.
    Oracle Specialist at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    I like the reports. It allows me to have a place to check all my targets.

What other advice do I have?

Before deploying a new service, be sure you configure it very well, because it's very boring and time consuming to later do this. It would be good to do this during the deployment phase. That is what I would think.
    it_user448812
    Senior Managing Consultant at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
    Provides monitoring and alerting to know when there are issues, and the ability to address issues automatically with corrective actions.

What other advice do I have?

It's overall capability for Oracle products is very good and offers the ability to monitor and manage many Oracle products from a single environment and is seamlessly integrated to monitor and manage those products out of the box. If you run Oracle Products from Oracle OVM, Oracle Database, Web Logic, etc. Oracle Enterprise Manager is by far the best way to provide a single console and monitoring and alerting solution.
    it_user448638
    Business Owner at Techno Consulting
    Helpful in performing operations for monitoring and management from one place.

What other advice do I have?

Do it once and do it right.
    it_user436107
    Sr DBA at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    I can drill down to the user level or the SQL level and see what was happening at any point in time. The UI is not good and is still pretty ugly.

What other advice do I have?

If you're using one or two databases, Enterprise Manager is not something you want to use because Oracle has other products that can make it simpler. But ff you are using more than five or six databases, Enterprise Manager is the way to go.
    it_user436200
    Database Admin at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Automation in patching, applying security patches, and PSU's has been important for us. We've had many struggles patching automation.

What other advice do I have?

If you're a newbie who doesn't want much hands-on in a CLI, it's a good solution.
    it_user436104
    Data Modeler at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The most valuable feature is the ability to manage all the databases, hardware, and middleware from one pane of glass.
    it_user436020
    Lead Oracle Database Administrator at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Database will send alerts and create instances that will allow our team to be both reactive and proactive.

What other advice do I have?

One piece of advice is just why, if you don’t have Oracle Enterprise Manager, you aren't taking advantage of it. I assume your DBA's might be spending extra hours and off hours, and if you set up and deploy Enterprise Manager the right way, you will see at least a 50% decrease in unnecessary, mundane work.
    it_user435981
    Programmer/Analyst at Lidestri Foods
    The most valuable feature is that it goes hand-in-hand with our EDI. There are performance issues that we see tied to SOA Suite and the B2B functioning.
    it_user432612
    Sr Application/Oracle Programmer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    As a DBA contractor, I like the ability to be able to group my hosts/targets and set up different configurations to monitor based on the needs of my clients.

What other advice do I have?

Do some research, follow the documentation and any advise that might be out there. The Oracle communities are good sources.
    it_user431829
    Professional Services Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    The Lifecycle Management Pack has allowed the organization to have an almost real-time view of security and compliance across every single database within the estate.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Enterprise Manager is an Enterprise Management tool and should be treated as such. It's not a glorified DB console. Companies should look to configure it in a way which takes away all the low-level, least value-add activities that DBAs have to do on a day-to-,day basis. As an organization look at the value the product could bring and deploy it as you would any other software asset.
    Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    We are alerted of potential problems before they happen and are also able to quantify and report on those metrics

What other advice do I have?

Do not expect to have a full implementation complete in a couple of days. There are many hours of work and many different steps to go through. There is a lot of collaboration that must happen with other teams; database, networking, storage, applications, developers, identity management, firewall and others. Find out how long it takes to process your longest change request and multiply that by 30.
    it_user103347
    Senior Oracle DBA at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Performance tuning and segment and memory advisor are features that are very valuable in the solution

What other advice do I have?

For Oracle databases and Oracle products in general, OEM is the best monitoring / console solution to get live and historical overview on your systems
    Database Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Provides complete integrated solutions to achieve the level of business service quality

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Enterprise Manager is a set of system management tools from Oracle that are used to monitor the Oracle environment, automating tasks to make database management easier for business. Enterprise Manager uses web based architecture and its HTML based console can be accessed from anywhere through browsers. Oracle Enterprise Manager provides complete, integrated solutions to achieve the level of business service quality required of enterprise applications, tools for managing configuration, performance and availability, and when combined with other management packs and plug-ins, it provides…
    it_user101802
    Oracle DBA at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Very useful for infrastructure related tasks. Great real time performance tuning of SQL queries.

What is most valuable?

Overall monitoring of Oracle databases and operating systems. Real time performance tuning of SQL queries.

How has it helped my organization?

By using OEM, less time and resources are spent to monitor and manage databases.

What needs improvement?

It comes with some monitoring bugs, which once reported to Oracle support is always solved.

I have been using this solution for the last 6 years.

No issues at all, very easy to deploy.

A very stable product.

Up until now I have not had any issues.

Customer…
    it_user101799
    Sr. Oracle, MySQL and Teradata DBA at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    We have found that OEM has improved significantly the monitoring and tuning of our databases

What is most valuable?

Monitoring and tuning of Oracle databases.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved significantly our monitoring and tuning of our databases.

What needs improvement?

Installation and configuration.

6+ years

Yes, configuration is a pain.

Nope

Nope

Customer Service: 4 stars, sometimes support takes time to figure out the issue and provide a solution.Technical Support: 4 stars

Used to monitor manually before.

How was the initial

it_user101664
    Lead DBA at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    I can easily visualize bottlenecks in database performance tuning with historical graph trends

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared for a lot of heartache before it beds in. Get the latest patches for the project, and read up on most common bugs issues before implementation;
    it_user100476
    MySQL DBA at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
    It's easy to find blocking or locking queries, to kill queries, and to explore table structure.

What other advice do I have?

Use as many features as possible but the more you rely on Enterprise Manager, the more you must remove and SPOF by having redundancy (RAC clusters or whatever failover solution you choose) and having a hot backup in a separate data center using data guard or some other replication technology so that if your data center goes down you can still bring up Enterprise Manager some where else.
    Oracle Consultant & DBA - Cloud Support Engineer at Amazon Web Services
    Top features are the ability to consolidate information and access to my databases into a single portal

What other advice do I have?

Follow the installation guide step by step, there won't be any surprises. Check your memory, CPU & disk requirements before implementation.
    Database Senior Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Excellent in monitoring and the ability to quickly drill down, see and identify issues. Smooth initial deployment.

What other advice do I have?

It is a must if you have more than a couple of databases to monitor and manage, it can also do a lot of other stuff and monitor various types of targets. It has a good system for testing applications. It has a lot of potentials but best advice is read through the documentation and know what you are getting, check with somebody who is already using it to get the best idea.
    it_user92496
    Database Manager at a recruiting/HR firm with 51-200 employees
    I really like that Statspack has evolved into AWR, ADDM and ASH reports, fully automated out of the box.

Valuable Features:

I really like how Statspack has evolved into AWR, ADDM and ASH reports, fully automated out of the box.

Improvements to My Organization:

Being able to capture performance information that occurred in the past is very helpful, when tracking down anomalies.

Room for Improvement:

I would like to see more functionality/information in Standard Edition Oracle for the same performance analysis.

Use of Solution:

I have used Oracle Enterprise Manager since version 9i.

Deployment Issues:

No, not really.

Stability Issues:

No, not really.

Good.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup is straightforward.

Implementation Team:

DBA Team implementations.…
    it_user90537
    Database Manager at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
    Valuable reporting and tuning features. Improved my companies central reporting and management tool for Oracle database

What is most valuable?

Reporting and tuning

How has it helped my organization?

Central reporting and management tool for Oracle database and middle-tier products

What needs improvement?

BI Publisher integration; EM CLI commands

Four years

Agent deployments are easy

Not with 12c OEM

Home-built shell scripts required maintenance, incurred higher overhead, and exposed the company to risk if a key employee left

How

it_user89634
    Database Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Oracle Enterprise Manager is a must if you have many Oracle databases across the landscape

Valuable Features

Performance tuning, Alerting, SQL Tuning, Database Reporting

Improvements to My Organization

Generating a graphical report on the fly, Diagnose any performance issues

Room for Improvement

There is not much negative about OEM. But with newer versions, maybe more reporting functionality can be added.

Use of Solution

4 years

On a scale from 1 to 5 I would give it a 4.

The installation was straightforward

Implementation Team

In-house team

Other Advice

Oracel Enterprise Manager is must if you have too many oracle databases across the landscape
    it_user86742
    Database Senior Manager with 501-1,000 employees
    Previously used TOAD, switched to OEM because it offers more functionality.

What other advice do I have?

Get OEM 12c integrated into your support tool arsenal. The latest version allows you to manage and diverse group of products other than just the database, these include but are not limited to Web Logic, MySQL, Linux.
    it_user83460
    Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Effective monitoring solution that offers a one-stop shop for scaling into other areas such as jobs, reporting & cloud

What other advice do I have?

Consider EM12c over third party products. This is built to be very transparent to the Oracle database environment. Other's, such as Spotlight, Foglight, etc. are a secondary layer and this is using the ASH/AWR data, which is less impacting to anything in the database.
    it_user83301
    Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    OEM makes sense for my customers’ needs and makes it easy for me to immediately resolve any problems that arise
    Many of our company’s customers have multiple databases. Thus they often need help determining how to consolidate them, monitor them and move forward with their business plans. I bring insight to these customers by showing them how to optimize their IT environments. When it comes to helping customers identify best practices, 90 percent of the time I end up talking about Oracle Enterprise Manager. Many of these customers have adopted Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c as their primary monitoring platform. I recall a situation with an Atlanta-based tax services company that required extremely high availability during the busy tax season (approximately December 15 and April 15). We had to uphold very strict service level agreements that carried serious penalties and huge financial implications. An…
    it_user82773
    Database Expert at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Gives us the real monitoring and alerting we need to monitor our database ecosystem from one tool

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that you try OEM, it can monitor many different products and it has been well designed. When monitoring database performance in real-time I have yet to see another product that can do it as well as OEM.
    it_user79794
    Database Expert with 51-200 employees
    OEM 12c - fairly straight forward on all ends, minor stability issues that resolved itself

What other advice do I have?

If you are already paying for enterprises licenses then it’s rude not to use it!
    Head of Data Analytics at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
    Drastically reduced our diagnostic time and helps us monitor multiple instances

What is most valuable?

The performance console is a must.

How has it helped my organization?

Can drastically reduce the diagnostic time and help monitoring multiple instances. Be aware that a lot of the features need appropriate licensing.

What needs improvement?

I would say the footprint on the server. Also the GUI can be tricky.

More than 7 years

To uninstall I needed to refer to the documentation.

No and it's a good point.

Customer Service: Very good.Technical Support: Very good.

Which solution did I use

it_user8580
    Consultant at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
    New Features – EM12c 12.1.0.3 – Modify Administration Groups
    One very powerful feature in EM12c I think is Administration Groups. It allows you to do a setup of monitoring settings that is continuously up to date. Monitoring Templates as part of a Template Collections are instantly applied as soon as a Target become member of a Administration Group within its hierarchy. One issue you could have with the setup of an Application Group Hierarchy is that, after creating it you could not change it anymore and had to delete it before being able to make corrections or extend. Starting EM12c 12.1.0.3 we can now modify an Administration Group Hierarchy after is has been created, which I think is a very welcome enhancement! In the example one level (Location) is added to an existing Hierarchy. The message in the page indicates…
    it_user8013
    Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Oracle Enterprise Manager for hybrid cloud monitoring
    This post is syndicated from https://johanlouwers.blogspot.com/2013/07/oracle-enterprise-manager-for-hybrid.html Cloud computing comes in many forms, in some cases cloud computing is “just” another form of hosting and it is considered an IaaS (Infrastructure As A Service). In this cloud computing model some of your servers / systems will be located within the cloud of a cloud vendor. Amazon is a good example of this. By having your servers in one or more cloud and some (or none) located in your traditional datacenter you start creating a hybrid cloud model. Having a hybrid cloud model provides you the options to make sue of the best of breed hosting options. This can be a big advantage however in some cases also brings a challenge. Even though everything can be hosted somewhere…
    it_user1017
    eCommerce Expert at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    It is about best service levels for traditional and cloud applications through business-driven application management.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, is a transformational technology that comes with a set of comprehensive features and great practices, that help IT transform into a true enterprise Cloud that delivers on business needs. It offers a single integrated console for testing, deploying, operating, monitoring, diagnosing, and troubleshooting, today’s complex and wide IT environments. It offers a simple scalable solution for running Oracle applications. It enables you to manage everything in your datacenter, from the hypervisor to the operating system, database, and application tier. I have used this…