Oracle Essbase OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Essbase is #4 ranked solution in top Database Development and Management tools. IT Central Station users give Oracle Essbase an average rating of 10 out of 10. Oracle Essbase is most commonly compared to Microsoft BI:Oracle Essbase vs Microsoft BI. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is Oracle Essbase?
Oracle Essbase is an OLAP (Online Analytical Processing) Server that provides an environment for deploying pre-packaged applications or developing custom analytic and enterprise performance management applications.

Oracle Essbase is also known as Essbase.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Oracle Essbase Customers
CHU de Rennes, Bellco Credit Union, Akindo Sushiro Co. Ltd, Deutsche Telekom AG, Samarco MineraÊo S.A., PCCW Ltd., QDQ media S.A.U., Boiron Italia, Specialized Bicycle Components Inc., Akindo Sushiro Co. Ltd., Air Canada, Daelim Industrial Co. Ltd.
Oracle Essbase Video

Oracle Essbase Software Reviews

Ricardo Giampaoli
EPM/BI certified Consultant, Oracle ACE and TeraCorp Consulting CEO at TeraCorp Consulting
Everybody uses it for financial purposes, but it can also be used for other analytic purposes, such as mathematical models, statistical models, and so on.

What is our primary use case?

Very large and complexes environments implementation, 10000+ users with 24x7 global operation and multiple EPM tools working in sync.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides for faster and more assertive forecast cycles. It enables businesses to improve their process since with this tool, you can do things easily and quicker as the business can create more complex models than were possible before.

What is most valuable?

It's very flexible and powerful and can do almost anything you want if you use a bit of imagination and knowledge.

What needs improvement?

• It needs a faster way to extract data.
  • It needs better documentation, as there's a lot of undocumented commands.
  • It needs a better API.

More than 10 years.

There were issues mainly because of a Java memory leak and abnormal shutdowns that sometimes corrupt the cube.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

The technical support for EPM is bad. I don't remember anytime that the service support helped me in something. The problem is bigger when you have an environment with more than one product like Hyperion Planning and ODI.

This happens because the products have different owners within Oracle and then different supports and, because of this, if you open a trouble ticket of loading data to planning and you say the words ODI, you'll be push around the two separate support teams indefinitely.

Even if your company has an Oracle support director just for you.

I've always used the same tools.

EPM is an enterprise suit that is made of some independent tools and to have all of them working together makes it complex no matter your level of knowledge. The bigger the environment, the bigger the challenge is you need to face. Maybe one day Oracle will integrate all their tools. It'll be easier, and the good thing is that I saw a lot of improvements through the years.

Always talk with a Oracle representative and negotiate a discount. I already saw 99% of discounts and a free licence once.

Some times is cheaper if you get a hardware together (helps to negotiate a discount)

I'm a consultant and my only evaluation was on the database. I decided on Oracle because of the database and, during my career, their other tools are starting to come naturally.

What other advice do I have?

Because Oracle products are development frameworks, your final results is as good as the people who implemented them. Make sure that your implementation team is the best it can be, at least for the first implementation. If something is implemented incorrectly at the start, it'll cost you a lot more to fix than to build a new system from scratch. Sometimes it can be so badly designed that it is impossible to fix.

I've been working on implementation for 20 years and I have seen bad implementations everywhere. In fact, I have seen the same tools implemented in the same team by two different people, with one being a success and the other a failure. In the same company, one department says that the tool does not work for them and another says that the tool is the best. The only difference was the implementer. Make sure you get a good team to implement it. The tool has its flaws, but most of time (99%) it is the implementer's fault that you have a bad or slow model.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're platinum partners.
Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Quest Software, IDERA, and more!