Oracle Exadata Overview

Oracle Exadata is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Oracle Database Appliance: Oracle Exadata vs Oracle Database Appliance

What is Oracle Exadata?

Oracle Exadata Database Machine is a modern framework, engineered to run databases and to scale out database servers.

The main benefit of Exadata is speed. It hosts operating systems, CPU memory, and hard drives. It runs all types of databases, including online transaction systems, processors and data warehouses, while solving poor performances of old database architecture.

The Oracle Exadata Database Machine features a simple and fast database storage system that protects and backs up your critical data. It accelerates data warehouse performance for faster access to business information. It is ideal for companies looking to build up their infrastructure from scratch.

For more information on Oracle Exadata Database Machine, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Exadata Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Exadata Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Oracle Exadata Customers

PayPal, EBS, Organic Food Retailer, Garmin, University of Minnesota, Major Semiconductor Company, Deutsche Bank, Starwood, Ziraat Bank, SK Telecom, and P&G.

Oracle Exadata Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Data Engineer at Prodxia
It provides efficient runtime processing, but I would love a diminished logging service

What is our primary use case?

Omnichannel multiprocessing.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides efficient runtime processing.

What is most valuable?

Hybrid columnar compression.

What needs improvement?

Try to diminish the logging service.

Less than one year.
AM
GIO IT Infra Build Er. DBA at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
The reports are always readily available.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for EIMS (Enterprise Information Management Systems). We run this in the night time, and every day in the morning. Then the reports are readily available, so there is zero failure.

• "The technical support team are real professionals. I admire their technical skills and supports. Their supports are really admirable."
  • "We had issues with system restoration."
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Exadata. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Practice Director at Forsys Inc
Unified,Integrated,scalable appliance with all components supported by one vendor ,Oracle

What is our primary use case?

Extreme Bare metal Performance for the business to scale up as per the heterogeneous database loads

What other advice do I have?

I would truly recommend this to all SMEs and Big Enterprises for consolidating databases with a unified next-generation platform.
Head Of Section Of DB Ms Support And Deployment at Sportmaster
Provides scalability and high performance; our business solutions run more quickly

What other advice do I have?

When looking at vendors to work with we look for good, fast implementation of the solution, reliable support, and lower cost. It's a good solution for a data warehhouse, analytics, etc. It's just a good, reliable solution.
Exadata Certified and Oracle Certified DBA Consultant at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
It provides fast communication between the storage and database.

What is our primary use case?

performance

What other advice do I have?

You should evaluate your requirements and budget.
Head of Oracle DBA at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good storage performance, our business applications run very fast

What other advice do I have?

I totally recommend buying Exadata. It's very good product. I haven't ever seen anything better than Exadata for Oracle Database.
Enterprise Architect at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Performance means we can switch datacenters within a reasonable time, and be fully live

What other advice do I have?

No vendor is reliable. We say there's a difference between proven in PowerPoint and proven in practice. We always find out in practice if it really works. Personally, what I like to see is somebody who understands the business. What I see is that a lot of vendors are mainly focused on technology and not on the business functions you want to build. I believe that technology can be bought while the intellectual property is in the business services that you deliver to an organization. That's what I look for.
Sr. Director Technical Services at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Database in a box; we can scale heavy workloads and consolidate lighter ones

What other advice do I have?

It's a great investment for the large enterprise. I think with Exadata in the cloud, that's coming, that we're starting to look at - and they're obviously trying to push here at the conference - I think it'll open itself up to a lot of other customers that probably wouldn't have gone with such an expensive on-premise solution. We're excited about that, too. I would definitely recommend it to any colleagues.
Lead Administrator
We have been able to consolidate databases in one box, with intelligent storage

What other advice do I have?

Personally, my requirements when looking for in a vendor: Definitely one is they have to be leading in that technology in the industry. The vendor should also make me want to use the latest proven technologies, we cannot take chances with that. Whichever is the case, whatever we are using a product for, that particular product has to be the industry best. That is one thing. Another thing is definitely that it needs to be a known partner like Oracle. They know the people we know, so that gives comfort that, middle of the night, if you have an issue, you can call this person. In short, proven…
Oracle DBA at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
it's just given me a better customer experience, one vendor to go to for support, one vendor to get patches.

• "They just have a lot of products, and they work well together."
  • "It would be nice to have a single click button to, say, migrate my VMware VM into the Oracle VM, or vice-versa."

What other advice do I have?

They have to look at their existing infrastructure, what they have, and what makes sense. If they already have a big presence of VMware, it won't make sense to start with Oracle VM products. If they are just starting out, and want to test the waters and see what features, I would definitely recommend Oracle VM first. It does offer a lot of features that VMware does, with the right parts.
User at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reduces cycle time for batch processing.

What is most valuable?

Performance and storage is good.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduces cycle time for batch processing.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better application performance.

We have been using this for six months.

There were no real deployment issues.

There were no stability issues so far.

There were no scalability issues so far.

Customer Service: Customer service is excellent. Technical Support: Technical service is excellent.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

Dev Lead PeopleSoft FIN at a religious institution with 1,001-5,000 employees
I like the storage cell because of the amount of RAM and memory. It doesn't transfer as much data out as other systems do.

What other advice do I have?

What size of database are you working with? What kind of reliability and stability do you need? Is the cost worth what they would get out of the stability. I like the Oracle database. I find Oracle as a whole has a very stable database. As far as the Exadata is concerned, as I’ve mentioned, I didn't have a choice in the matter. Nonetheless, if given my druthers, I would stick with it because it is reliable, even though it is kind of expensive. My rating reflects its reliability. If I was rating it just on cost, I would rate it much lower.
Sr. Programmer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Smart scan and smart indices are the most valuable features. I would like to see improvement in retail store response times.

What is most valuable?

Smart scan and smart indices are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved the query performance.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvement in retail store response times.

We have been using this solution for three years.

There were deployment issues, but the dev team fixed them.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

Customer Service: I would give customer service a rating of 7/10. Technical Support: I…
IT Specialist with 10,001+ employees
The solution offloads the storage. This gives us better performance without impacting the CPU.
Senior Oracle RAC / Exadata Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides terrific performance and huge space savings in compressed backups.

What other advice do I have?

This is a really good solution. Initially, query issues are expected but once stabilized, an amazing performance is expected.
DBA Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It helps analyze network performance.​ I would like to see improvement in terms of upgrades.

What is most valuable?

Stability and performance.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides data analytics and helps with warehouse needs. It helps analyze network performance.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvement in terms of upgrades.

There were deployment issues with the upgrade process. There was conflicting documentation and varying responses from Oracle support.

There were stability issues during upgrades.

There were no scalability issues.

Customer Service: I would give customer support a rating of 5/10. The FEs are usually good…
Co-Founder/CTO/Chief Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
By going to Exadata platform, we forced the best practice to a single stack version.

What other advice do I have?

Understand pricing and cost of skillset acquisition. In addition, define the organizational layout for supporting the Exadata, since Exadata is a “converged and engineered system” per se.
DBA - Oracle Exadata at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Exadata comes pre configured, just need to create your databases and load your data.

What other advice do I have?

You should carefully plan your Gridisk/ASM disk layout, One big +DATA and +RECO, or one by database. Also think about your ORACLE_HOME: just one or many? Having several Oracle_Home gives you flexibility in patching (you can stop only one database) but increase DBA works, several Oracle_Home to be patched.
Senior Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
We can consolidate all our databases into a single box.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to go with Exadata. It is definitely worth the investment.
Database Infrastructure Cloud Architect-Oracle,AWS Migration,Upgardes(Cassandra,Postgres,Hadoop BI) at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
The storage cell offloading software is the most valuable feature. We saw a 50x performance gain for migration.

What other advice do I have?

Negotiate with Oracle for licensing and consolidation of licensing.
Manager
Decreases the time to do the payroll.

What is most valuable?

Speed and stability.

How has it helped my organization?

Payroll used to take two and a half days. It now takes one or two hours.

What needs improvement?

The Oracle support team needs to understand the product better than the customers do.

We have been using this solution for one and a half years.

We had no deployment issues.

We had minor stability issues.

We had no scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service was OK. Technical Support: Technical support was OK.

Which

Senior Software Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
MSP
We tuned so much code by using all the techniques and it is working fantastically.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle solutions are excellent and evolves according to the customer needs. Whenever there is a bug we recommend to the customers directly so that they are aware of whats going on rather they find out them selves. This helps service improvement as well customer relations hips.
Infrastructure Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
I find the Storage Base Indexes, Caging and Hybrid Column Compression most valuable.

What is most valuable?

Storage Base Indexes, Caging and Hybrid Column Compression.

How has it helped my organization?

Put all the List of Value tables on Flash Storage for fast Reading in Oracle ERP, Performance Improved.

What needs improvement?

eAM, Inventory, Financial and Procurement and HR

6 Years

Customer Service: 7 out of 10 Technical Support: 7 out of 10

IBM AIX P5

Straightforward

What about the

Data Quality Software Development Manager at Yapı Kredi Bank
Performance is one of the key features, allowing us to bring in more data. It provides us with more subject areas for reports. And now supporting the Cloud service.

• "It is a highly relevant option with extreme performance."
  • "I would like to see more database features and maybe more archiving features, because we need to do data archiving."

What other advice do I have?

Get the database on Oracle first. If you are in an Oracle stack, it would be much better to use the Oracle products. If you are driving a Ferrari, you wouldn’t put a Mercedes engine in it. If you are writing a query, you cannot rely on other brands. I'm an architect, so when I look for a product, I look for performance.
Managing Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Oracle Exadata X6-2 is sized, tuned, and tested for all Oracle Database workloads, and includes unique software and protocols that make it the most powerful and efficient system for running the Oracle

• "Exadata with the In-Memory option is several levels about SAP HANA."
  • "Sometimes it takes too long time to get help with technical issues."

What other advice do I have?

If a company is looking into Oracle Engineered Systems, I would suggest first that a health check is performed on the current system, in addition to making a PoC on the (new) systems under consideration. In the history of Oracle Corporation, there seldom has been a product so successful, complete and flawless. Client satisfaction is extremely high and stability of systems using Exadata is close to infinite availability.
Sr. Director, Systems & Databases at GTech
Thanks to Smart Scan, the amount of data transferred from storage to database nodes significantly decreases.

• "Backup/Restore performance: Fast backups, fast restores (especially useful for creating clone environments)."
  • "Certification should also be improved. Today, Oracle doesn't certify applications with engineered systems."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend others to define their needs and the things they expect from Exadata. I strongly recommend doing a PoC to ensure that Exadata meets their expectations. Of course, reviewing the Exadata related documents and real life stories will give a better idea about the tasks that are done for implementing an Exadata environment and the tasks that are done to get the most benefit from Exadata.
MA
Statistics Analyst at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides workload offloading to the cell layer.

What other advice do I have?

The team should be familiar with RAC; some HW and network knowledge. The team should understand the new Exadata SW related to the cell layer. Consider the COD feature to pay as you go. Integrating Exadata with Oracle Cloud Enterprise Manager gives you the power of monitoring and managing the box. You can also enable the notification mailer through EM or cell.
Director at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Single appliance with no additional tooling required for deployment. The need for additional licenses for core Oracle products is an area for improvement.

What is most valuable?

Performance with use of storage compute.

How has it helped my organization?

Single appliance with no additional tooling required for deployment reduces overall maintenance and cost of ownership.

What needs improvement?

Cost, need for additional licenses for core Oracle products.

Two years.

Yes, Cisco switch is not a standard within our company. Need to deploy with Oracle switch, after initial validation and setup, un-plug all network, replace the Cisco switch, and recable. This is time consuming and should not be required if Oracle would simply put in a different Cisco switch.

What do I think

Database Administrator at Qualys
If there are any patches or other updates, everything is combined as a single patch. We had lots of storage issues and disk failures.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest going with the product, but again it depends on the application, the budgeting and all that. The budget for the application depends on how critical the application is. If it's really critical and revenue generating, then I'll recommend going with this product. But if it is not so critical, then I'll recommend going with something is less costly. Mainly, we already had experience with the Oracle database and that's why we chose this one. Technical support is one of the things we look for in a vendor, because any issue we get we want to get a response as soon as possible. We also…
Database Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helped us with database consolidation. The storage nodes have multiple bugs.

What other advice do I have?

We always believed that Oracle is a leader in improving technology. We always believe in their solutions. Oracle Exadata is a great product without a doubt. Our gut now says why not go like we wanted and migrate to Oracle RAC. We didn’t want to spend time to put everything together, the network, the storage, and so on. Why reinvent the wheel when every best practice is already there? The "gotcha" is that if you increase the number of cores, you must be prepared to pay for the license. Those are things that we weren't initially aware of, but then it all came handy to us when we need to go with…
Data Center Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We have consolidated our infrastructure. It provides scalability, performance, and availability.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product if cost is not a factor. The implementation costs are, frankly, higher, but your return on investment over a period of time is less. If you're looking for that, then I would definitely advise to go for this product.
Senior Principal Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
As an integrated system, it has a reduced footprint in the data center and is stable.

What other advice do I have?

Engage me.
Director of Information Technology at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It has enabled us to implement business intelligence. They can make it faster and more scalable.

What other advice do I have?

If we needed to use it for batch requirements like before, it is still one of the best solutions. But, right now with the needs that we have, it isn't enough. If you are looking for batch processing, this solution is the way to go. However, if you are looking to do what we do, which not many companies do, then it is not suitable. We are into the internet business and we process trillions of records in a day all over the world. So, probably it is not for us. But for most of the companies, it is suitable. In my previous company, we had this solution. Actually, the product rating all depends on…
DBA at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
The number one feature is speed. Patches are quarterly.

What other advice do I have?

There are still a few issues that we are working on, but from a performance point of view, ease of use, scalability and reliability, plus we took a performance option for the storage – we were at capacity, so now we are good with the capacity, too – overall, I feel like everybody is happy with the product. When I am looking at vendors like Oracle, the primary criteria will be the support. When you go through an issue, we need an immediate solution; it’s a 24/7 application. We don't anticipate anything. For example, something like, when we were going through a patching, and suddenly I found an…
Database Engineer at a leisure / travel company with 10,001+ employees
It has computing power at the storage level, which reduces latency.
Sr. Oracle Database Architect at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
You can take an object, put it in the flash cache, and it runs fast.

What other advice do I have?

The main thing I would tell people is, whoever is going to maintain it has to know what he's doing. When you spend your money and you don't have the good people, you don't get your money back. It's a waste of money. You have to know who you are putting on it, so they can give everything back to you. Otherwise, it's a good product. It's a good product. It's stable.
Senior Oracle DBA at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Offloading is valuable. It integrates well with our other products.

What is most valuable?

Offloading is the most valuable feature of Exadata. It integrates well with our other products.

How has it helped my organization?

Conservation Performance

What needs improvement?

There are little things that need fine tuning, such as storage. It’s also missing some features that you would expect from a data warehousing tool, such as snapshots.

It is stable.

It scales well for our needs.

Technical support is good.

We also looked at Teradata, but Exadata is perfect.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely take some courses on Clusterware, ASM,…
DBA at a religious institution with 51-200 employees
Everything goes into one machine. Google searches help me more than Oracle support.

What other advice do I have?

One thing that's good is that everything is into one machine; the database and the application that we are using. Oracle cannot blame the third-party vendor. It's an OEM problem, so Oracle itself needs to support this product. That's the only advantage that I see. Oracle loves to blame somebody else for their issues. That’s why I am not keen on this product. I use a lot of Linux servers and they all do the same thing.
Sr. Director Technical Services at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's one package. My DBAs like administering it. My application owners like its reliability on the back end.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great investment for the large enterprise. I think with Exadata in the cloud that's coming, that we're starting to look at and they are obviously trying to push at conferences, I think it'll open itself up to a lot of other customers that probably wouldn't have gone with such an expensive on-premise solution. We're excited about that, too. I would definitely recommend it to any colleagues. We're very happy with it.
Technology Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Speed is the most important feature for us.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it if cost is not a factor. It's been good; so far we have not experienced any issues.
VP at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is robust, stable, and performs well.

What is most valuable?

The best features are its robustness, stability, and performance.

What needs improvement?

Actually, I'm using the old version. The latest version is already out with all a lot of new features; so what I’m looking for is already there in that. Once we start using the new one, then we can come to know what additions we can put in.

It seems very stable.

Scalability is good.

Technical support is awesome. Oracle is our technical support; so when we need it, they are there.

Initial setup is complex. You need Oracle technical support to do your initial setup.

What other

Senior Database Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I like the algorithms it uses internally for the database traffic to take different paths. Patching is the biggest issue we've faced.

What other advice do I have?

You want to get everything set up before it comes in the door. While you still have that sales support with you, you want to get all of your additional support, because you have to be added in for the platinum support area. Get all of that set up before you get your product in. It's not as good as we expected, but it's definitely better than what I've seen with other companies.
Business Intelligence and Data Integration Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
As you're executing SQL, it's segregated out to a storage device. The database itself doesn't take that overhead.

What other advice do I have?

Know what versions of hardware are out there, for any type of an engineered solution. Understand where there might not be redundancy in the solution, to know if that's going to meet your needs or not. I have not given it a perfect rating because I probably wouldn't give anyone a perfect rating. It's met all of our expectations.
Lead Performance Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Because of the built-in flash, IO latency is drastically reduced.

What other advice do I have?

If they are really looking for performance, and performance is the only thing that matters to them, while having a very stable system, this product is engineered within Oracle, who knows their database more than anyone else. A combination of hardware and software from the same vendor, it is specifically designed for Oracle Database, so I definitely recommend it, if it meets all their other cost and other requirements.
Manager, Data Warehouse Development | Business Intelligence at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
High columnar compression and the flash cache are big for us.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the money, spend it; if it makes sense, obviously. If you're really I/O bound, it's a great solution; I/O bound from performance to storage. With the high columnar compression, we're getting close to 10X compression. When I’m selecting a vendor such as Oracle to work with, I look for one with a good reputation and is reliable. Reputation comes on as willingness to work with you. I consider the features that are offered; is what they're offering now going to scale, obviously? Is what they're offering now going to still be supported in the future? There are compatibility issues and…
Solution Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It is easy to manage infrastructure as a whole.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Exadata to someone in a similar job role as myself at a similar-sized company, but I would also them to understand the need of what they’re trying to do and not necessarily go to Exadata just because it's nice. They need to spend time on what they want to get out of it. Yes, it's a nicely engineered system but they also need to evaluate cost versus benefit. It's not cheap, I can tell you that.
Senior DBA at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The smart scan functionality offloads workloads to the cell server. Queries work faster.

What other advice do I have?

If a friend asked me about Exadata, I would encourage them to go with it.
CIO Group Services at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It combines hardware with the software that we use from Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

The Nike one: Just do it.
Unix/Linux Platform Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It provides performance for our highly critical applications.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it for highly critical, performance-sensitive applications. You have to do a TCO on it because it is a fairly expensive solution. There has to be a cost-benefit analysis done on that.
Director - OSP/Engineered Systems at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It provides performance and reliability.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product. I think if you have a business use and can justify the cost, go and buy it. You'll never regret it.
Senior DBA and Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The SuperCluster provides Oracle Exadata functionality along with virtualization at the firmware and the OS kernel layers.

What other advice do I have?

The SuperCluster in addition to Exadata storage also comes with ZFS storage cluster. Since the compute nodes, storage and networking components are fully integrated with InfiniBand I/O fabric this provides very high performance between various components. Also, it has built-in hardware encryption to provide data security.
Database Development Leader at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It aptly addresses the problems of database consolidation. No more arguments about running mixed workloads together.

What other advice do I have?

Find the appropriate workload for the machine. Looking at the data sheet, Exadata is a beast meant to solve bigger problems. You will not be able to gauge its benefits with nuggets of data.
Team Leader at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
HCC provides different levels of compression to reduce space allocation and to decrease I/O.

What other advice do I have?

As best practice, before starting the installation you should have a look at the Oracle Documentation. Oracle provides a "Getting Started Guide" to get up-to-date checklists to verify requirements (for example IP addresses, name syntax, etc.) and to be sure your infrastructure is ready for the installation. Also, we recommend to install Oracle Enterprise Manager as a monitoring solution: it is fully integrated with Oracle Exadata and Oracle Exalogic, you can monitor hardware (compute nodes, switches, ILKOM etc.) and software (operating system, Database, WebLogic, business applications etc.).
President at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Having the disk, all the memory, and all the networking, makes it a lot simpler to administer.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely do a POC on it. Work closely with Oracle Professional Services to help you with the right configurations.
Senior Principal Consultant at Viscosity
Video Review
Key benefits include consolidated databases into one platform and one environment.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a great solution for all the existing Oracle clients and if they really want to move ahead with the next generation of the Oracle Database, that's the solution to go for. Consolidate everything, move ahead with this. You get a better performance, you get better management, you get less people to manage the things, the room of errors are really less because you have specialized people, less people, and it's very valuable. Rating: so I'll say that in terms of the rating it will fall in 8 to 9. In terms of the ease of maintenance, you have all the tools and everything Oracle…
Manager, Principal Consultant at Pythian
Video Review
MSP
It's cost-effective for a lot of organizations. I would rate highly some of the specialized mechanisms that Oracle has put in place.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: I'd call it about a 12 out of 10. Of course you have to be able to afford the box. You have to be able to afford the configuration that you're going to be getting into. It's cost-effective for a lot of organizations, but I would rate the technology very high. Some of the specialized mechanisms that Oracle has put in place, especially with respect to Exadata and the late-breaking version of Exadata in particular. As I said before, I'm not intimately or even somewhat peripherally familiar with the competition, but these guys know what they're doing, and my experience has been in the past…
Director, IT at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It makes it possible to deliver high performance Oracle OBIEE applications. It needs to be changed to be a true appliance so you don’t have to manage individual components inside it.

What other advice do I have?

The device performed very well, but the biggest challenge for us was the maintenance. Any firmware, code or OS upgrade took long time, which requires a downtime window. The rolling upgrade would even take longer so we never tried it. I heard that the new version of Exadata should be improved in this area, but we have moved off Oracle Exadata platform. The DR is another challenge since ideally you would want have to a Exadata at DR site, which in most cases is cost-inhibitive. I would say that make sure you can do rolling upgrade for minimizing the downtime, and find a cost effective DR…
CTO/Architect at Viscosity North America
Once you start leveraging it with Database In-Memory and Multitenant, you've got a solid platform for enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

It is really good for what it's supposed to do. It's a great technology for Oracle-based solutions. There's pluses and minuses in everything. Any time you get an engineered system like that, you have to be geared for organizational [boundary] changes. Understand how the technology is supposed to work, how it's going to change the way you do your day-to-day business.
Lead Oracle Database Administrator at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Smart Scan gives us the ability to perform a large amount of processing on the storage side.

What other advice do I have?

We want to stay at the front of the cutting edge, and we evaluate and realize that the benefit, the return on investment that Exadata brings for a company of our magnitude and size, is tremendous. We've exploited Exadata, and it's performed very well for us.
Oracle Database Administrator & technical Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We have a complete HA environment with two Exadata machines across two datacenters.

What other advice do I have?

Start with a good POC and then make the decision.
ITA - Oracle Apps DBA at Tata Consultancy Services
Features I Find Valuable Include: Smart Flash Cache, Smart Scan and the Robust Storage.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it if you are looking for consolidation/scalability.
Sr Enterprise Database Admin at Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)
The High Availability and rolling upgrade features are the most important for us.

What other advice do I have?

If you are buying Exadata, be sure to go with the latest version.
Senior Analyst ( Senior Oracle DBA) at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We're able to add more users, and queries get executed very quickly for data warehousing compared to our previous solution.

What other advice do I have?

I have seen, and it's my personal experience, that if your application runs on half a rack don't go for a full rack. After all, you can upgrade from half a rack to a full rack if needed, and there is no point to move directly onto a full rack. Check with Oracle and do testing on the lower version rack first. Although sales people from Oracle will convince you to go for a higher version, which is not needed unless your design, architecture, and applications needed .
PL/SQL Developer at a marketing services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Exadata is fast, but things are different. There was a significant learning curve involved in getting it to run our heavy-duty reports.

What other advice do I have?

I'd be interested to see how the run times stack up against Hadoop or similar - but once you've spent the money, there's no going back!.
Sr. Lead - Infrastructure Design Database at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's different from competitors in that it is not designed only for a specific application (as in SAP HANA), and is not only for a certain type of workload (as in Teradata).

What other advice do I have?

The solution is relatively easy and fast to deploy. It typically takes less than three weeks from hardware delivery to having functional database servers with a built-in high-availability feature. Most importantly, it delivers an excellent Oracle database performance for any type of workload (OLTP or batch/OLAP). I have seen from 3x to 10x performance improvement for various workloads compared to previous versions. The reason I didn't give a perfect 10 rating is because some hardware are not hot-swappable, such as battery (for older models), memory and processor. While as a matter of fact…
Senior Oracle DBA - RAC and Exadata at a tech services company
There are several features I've found valuable, including Exadata Hybrid Columnar Compression, Exadata Smart Scan Technology, and Smart Flash Cache.

What other advice do I have?

Exadata is very solid and robust machine, with great performance. Highly recommended for companies (who can afford it).
Senior Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
The out-of-the-box performance and data compression allows us to manage larger volumes of data more easily.

What other advice do I have?

This product actually does what it promises to - it gives extreme performance on your data set.
Presenter at a consultancy
v1 and v2 on Linux: Its large memory capability and parallelism potential has given a big boost
On a scale from 1-5 (1=worst, 5=best), how would you rate this product overall compared to similar products? - 4, Have not used anything similar but our environment is mainly OLTP so we have to figure out how to take advantage of the normal 11gR2 features and make the optimal use of the Exadata structure and storage cells. For how long have you used this product? - 15 months Which features of this product are most valuable to you? - Parallelism - Memory - Storage Cell “intervention” for query performance - If we can modify all of our code to use /*+ APPEND */ or /*+ APPEND_VALUES */ then the compression would be significant. Seems to be a “version 1.0” for OLTP centric applications. On the other hand we also need to rethink the database, application architecture and deployment.…
Project Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
In addition to greater scalability, better reliability, and a smaller datacenter footprint, the intelligent features utilize the storage layer in a way we've found valuable.

What is most valuable?

The intelligent features have been built to utilize the storage layer in a much better way.

How has it helped my organization?

It's one of the most stable, high-performing products I've used.

What needs improvement?

More control for database admins is needed for storage indexes and pricing.

I've used it for close to five years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's average. Technical Support: It's average.

Which solution did I use

Oracle Database Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
With this solution, our data warehouse was consolidated on a single database with improved capability and performance.

What other advice do I have?

It really fit our mixed environment and it is totally directed to DW/DSS environment, as most of the heavy queries would be performed on the storage server.
Software Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
In the past we used traditional RAC database architecture. The switch was straightforward using the OneCommand tool.

What other advice do I have?

If you have OLT and are working 24/7 on an Oracle database, Exadata is the best solution for you. Before implementing this product you need to define your requirements clearly as this will help you to avoid future issues.
Oracle DBA with 1,001-5,000 employees
We had tried other storage and hardware options but nothing really got us performance we needed for some of our applications.

What other advice do I have?

There is a learning curve to this product and it is complex at the hardware, network and software levels. Train all your staff, not just the database administrations as the network and UNIX admns have to get familiar with the components. Exadata classes are available and the DBAs should know RAC and services well. The starter databases are a template for new databases. Run ExaChks weekly, and set up OEM to monitor Exadata, but spend time to make sure you do it correctly. If you have a large Exadata foot print look at ZFS for backups and evaluate if you have the staff to support it. If not make…
Founder and President at Viscosity North America
A single consulting resource can patch/upgrade the entire stack because patching and maintenance has become reliable and simplified.

What other advice do I have?

For new customers who are about to embark on the Exadata journey, they should consult with a vendor specializing in Exadata implementations for the first set of database migrations and technical direction. Customers should also do the proper sizing exercises either with Oracle or with the Exadata Specialty niche vendor to buy the suitable Exadata configuration what will suit their business needs for the next several years. When purchasing Exadata, they should also look into purchasing either the ZFS Storage Appliance (ZFSSA) or the Zero Data Loss Recovery Appliance (ZDLRA) to offload their…
Infrastructure Principal Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The fully converged approach of engineered systems certainly saves a lot of effort.

What other advice do I have?

The best advice is to scope upfront. Do a proper sizing exercise, get some outside assistance if you need it to get the sizing correct. If you are looking at a large deployment, consider piloting first, as you don't want to have a large amount of kit landing and then spend a long time on the migration.
Principal Global Database Architect at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The presence of storage indexes along with the Storage Server software, allows us to deliver better performance without indexes.

What other advice do I have?

First and foremost, develop or hire a deep technical talent base inhouse, even if it's just one person. The technical role is called Database Machine Administrator (DMA). Planning is winning half the battle. There are tiny little things that makes a big difference. For instance, how to decide whether to keep the indexes you have--it's not something you can outsource. Second, get the installation checklist (detailed) from Oracle and establish SLAs for each item meticulously along with the hand off details. Third, if you don't have it, consider Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control to manage…
Presenter at a consultancy
It's not "one size fits all"
Whoever is the "Oracle Support" that does the initial setup seems to think that one-size-fits-all is the solution to every application environment. Still seems to be the approach of the 1980s that if the menu comes up then the setup is complete. For all the money and hoopla it is a disappointment to have to struggle with memory issues when doing simple tasks like adding large number of partitions. There should be an option at install time to deal with DW and OLTP environments. I dont think that the training provided for "Exadata Support" persons is adequate to make the configuration modifications. So the "user" of the Exadata is left to deal with a machine configuration suitable for "oranges" when it is really "apples" that are needed. Update Once again it all boils down to how much…
BI Expert with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fast processing for a pretty penny.
Oracle’s Exadata is a self-contained database appliance. Traditional database architecture would have a server that contained the CPU, memory and enough hard drive space to house the Operating System connected through a network to an array of hard drives for all other storage. Scalability was achieved through adding additional database servers and creating a cluster, and expanding the back end array. This traditional architecture resulted in poorer performance in read and write intensive applications such as Data Warehousing due to bottlenecks in the storage array. Database appliances combine the processing with the storage achieving exponentially faster performance by having onboard dedicated storage and software to manage the distribution of data across that storage. The pros of Exadata…
Database Expert at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
If you have resources to integrate your own hardware and Software, you don't need Exadata

What other advice do I have?

The Infiniband switch has some distance limitations and a true DR (Disaster Recovery) site cannot be setup with Exadata, The operating system allowed is ONLY OEL (Oracle Enterprise Linux) which is a big limitation. One has to go through Oracle's support system - tickets and service requests to make any changes to the Exadata machine.
Manager of Data Center at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Good for Data Warehousing and OLTP Applications

What other advice do I have?

Smart Scan , Smart Flash, storage Index, Hybrid Columnar Compression, Resource Manager and Smart Scan of Data mining Model Scoring technologies are the features that places Exadata machine ahead of similar products. If you are looking for a data warehouse machine with large storage capacity, high performance, and manageability, Exadata is the best suite. But, you have to mentally prepare yourself for the fact that Exadata hardware only runs oracle software.
Product Categories
Data Warehouse
Download our free Oracle Exadata Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.