Oracle Exalogic [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Oracle Exalogic [EOL]?

Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud is a datacenter building block that integrates compute, networking and storage hardware with virtualization, operating system and management software. It provides breakthrough performance, reliability, availability, scalability and investment protection for the widest possible range of business application workloads, from middleware and custom applications to packaged applications from Oracle and hundreds of 3rd party vendors, in both conventional and cloud deployments. As an Oracle Engineered System, Oracle Exalogic delivers faster deployment, higher user productivity, lower TCO, reduced risk and one-stop support.

For more information on Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Exalogic [EOL] is also known as Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud.

Download the Converged Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Oracle Exalogic [EOL] Customers
Sascar, Banca Transilvania, UL, Agilent, Reliance Commercial Finance, PT Bank Central Asia Tbk, Bank of Qingdao, Yarra Valley Water, FAW Car Co. Ltd.
Oracle Exalogic [EOL] Video

Archived Oracle Exalogic [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

TumiMamem
Senior Middleware Consultant at africvo group
A solution with a very good database, good automation, and good stability

• "The automation and provisioning of the environment, as well as the centralized monitoring, have all improved over the years."
  • "The solution is prone to disk failures. This needs to improve. Over the past four years we've had to replace about six of them. They've failed almost every three to six months."

What is most valuable?

The database is the solution's most valuable feature. Running the application on one machine makes it easier to position it to the client. I don't need a separate machine to run my databases. I can virtually run the databases with the application. The Linux component of it is great as well. It makes it easier to administrate. There are a lot more Linux administrators as opposed to the SuperCluster which uses Solaris and there are not as many people that use Solaris.

What needs improvement?

The solution is prone to disk failures. This needs to improve. Over the past four years we've had to replace about six of them. They've failed almost every three to six months.

The solution would benefit from the addition of real-time physical monitoring, like noting the temperature of the actual physical machine. The console should be able to tell you if it's overheating right away. Right now, it's not really in real-time. If I take my own temperature measurement versus what the console tells me, I find that my readings are more accurate than on the console itself.

I've been using the solution for three or four years.

The stability is very good. Once you configure it, it runs with no issues. Out of ten I'd give it an eight.

Scalability is quite easy. We are running two of them across two data centers, so it's quite easy to scale up and set it up. I'd rate scalability ten out of ten.

I'd give technical support a three out of five. We need to go through technical support when we experience a disk failure, which happens quite often. Once they provided the wrong disk size. We had to return them. We had some downtime because of this, whereas in the product brochure they said there's literally zero downtime. The delivery time for the disk took too long. We had to wait for more than two weeks for the disk to be delivered. Due to this hold-up, we have had more downtime than we had anticipated.

Previous to this solution, we used the Oracle SuperCluster. That solution was much more stable, but also much more expensive. The biggest issue was Solaris, the processor. There's no skillset for Solaris. Also, some of the libraries that are needed, you can only get them from Oracle. With Linux, it's generic enough that you can build solutions and you can get the libraries anyway because Linux is open source.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We had someone come and assist with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an Oracle partner. We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Oracle Fusion Middleware Technical Consultant at a tech services company
High-speed network and strong storage features allow our clients to concentrate on app development

• "Provides high-speed network, strong storage features (ZFS), High Availability out of the box, and is Integrated with a large number of products."
  • "Exalogic offers integration with other engineered systems, which increases the throughput capability and enables processing of bigger and heavier workloads."

How has it helped my organization?

This product offers a strong infrastructure with compute, storage, and network in a private cloud environment, enabling the organization to concentrate on business application development and improvement.

What is most valuable?

• High-speed network
    • Strong storage features (ZFS)
    • High Availability out of the box
    • Integrated with a large number of products

What needs improvement?

With the shift to public cloud, and with Oracle releasing Oracle Public Cloud Machine and Oracle Private Cloud Appliance, the Exalogic X6-2 version was still released, but, clearer goals in the product roadmap are necessary to be able to affirm the improvements.

More than five years.

Initially, yes, there were stability issues. A number of redesigns were needed to stabilize the Hypervisor, control the stack layer, as well as the software defined network drivers (Mellanox bugs causing compute nodes to reboot). The latter was addressed by a heavy work initiative, but required a set of patching, impacting customers' system stability.

Just cost. To expand the hardware's capability requires a massive investment.

Depends on the level paid for. The Platinum Services offered by Oracle's Advanced Customer Services offers a multi-level mechanism of automatic service request creation and advanced monitoring. When all of its support features are integrated with customer's incident and change-management systems, it is a very effective model, with a proactive hardware replacement component. In cases of hardware fault, there is automatic shipment of parts without much effort to get it quickly fixed.

VMware. We switched because of the capabilities offered with Exalogic for integration with other engineered systems, which increases the throughput capability and enables processing of bigger and heavier workloads.

The initial setup is straightforward, but post-setup requires a very detailed and accurate design/architecture to avoid re-work in the storage and network layers.

Pricing and licensing are two very delicate aspects when talking about Oracle, especially engineered systems. The prices are quite high compared with other similar products, so the CapEx analysis and investment return have to be very well studied.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product eight out of 10. After years of stabilization (a lot of known bugs and issues with compute nodes rebooting due to InfiniBand HCAs and driver bugs, etc.) the product has achieved stability as a private cloud appliance.

Make sure you align the application and integration architecture with the sizing and the product's distribution. As its virtual datacenter is oriented to the network structure, once the VMs are created with an initial network configuration, it is not possible to change, despite destroying and recreating the VMs. This is acceptable in some cases, as long as the remaining automation process can reset the VMs.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Dell EMC, IBM and others in Converged Infrastructure. Updated: November 2021.
    552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    MA
    System Admin at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Enables you to control middleware licenses and apps. ​EMOC needs more attention and simplification.

What is our primary use case?

decrease the licenses cost of oracle apps and FMW. AS Exalogic support oracle trusted partitioning license policy to license oracle apps.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way my organization functions by migrating apps to one consolidated platform that is dedicated to WebLogic and Oracle apps.

What is most valuable?

• Good performance : Exalogic is designed especially for Oracle middleware and applications hosted on WebLogic servers or any other application running on the top of Linux/Solaris OS, Exalogic HW is integrated with Elastic cloud software that performance optimization and good performance for Fusion Middleware modules. Also, Infiniband switches add high I/O throughput.
    • Good platform for building easy clusters of vServers through ZFS storage: Exalogic has internal ZFS-ES storage which is supporting NFS sharing. Through NFS, WebLogic cluster (based on shared files system) can be implemented in an easy manner.

What needs improvement?

• EMOC needs more attention and simplification.
    • The integration with EM cloud manager should be straightforward.
    • The ZFS interface (BUI) should be simplified.
    • Modifying the OS template should be more flexible.
    • Backup and restore using the Exabar tool should be redeveloped.
    • You can not restore a deleted VM directly; you have to create a VM and then restore to it.
    • You have a limitation with creating attached volumes to the VM (just 4 volumes including the template volume).
    • The included ZFS doesn't support replicating data inside the local disk (attached volume). You have to convert the local storage (attached volume) to shared storage NFS.
    • It doesn't support OVA.
    • You can not share the internal ZFS storage with any platform other than Exalogic, so it is a closed box.

Three to five years.

We have encountered stability issues: a storage failure that led to Exalogic being fully down' sometimes the storage cluster OCFS2 used for the OVM repository had stopped working and could not be mounted; finally, after many months, Oracle support discovered problems with InfiniBand (IB) host channel adapters (HCAs) that connect ZFS storage to the hosts and many firmware upgrades.

Sometimes while restarting the VM servers, they get stuck or no NIC is attached to the VM.

We stopped the update phase for adding more resources based on a management decision.

Customer service is 5/10.

Technical support is 5/10.

We previously used a different solution; we switched to get one platform for WebLogic-based apps.

Initial setup is complex and you have to fill in a very complicated sheet.

Implementation was done by the vendor team. Their level of expertise was about 5/10.

For pricing and license, you have to pay for Exalogic HW plus elastic cloud software for all cores at all nodes, so it will be expensive, including when upgrading. For example, to upgrade from 1/8 rack to 1/4 rack, you have to pay for 144 CPUs (144 * .05 (core factor for Intel CPU) * 10000 (price list for elastic cloud software )) + 22% for support per year + 130000 (price list HW upgrade) + 15600 HW support per year + services.

But Exalogic will help save on MW licences, which are more expensive than HW, as described elsewhere.

Before choosing, we evaluated other options; normal HW.

What other advice do I have?

The best thing from my point of view for Exalogic is that it enables you to control Oracle middleware licenses and apps, which are very expensive. It supports a trusted partition policy for licenses, so Exalogic is helping to reduce Oracle MW and apps licenses, as you are licensed only per the physical cores assigned to the VM server only and you can increase the licenses by increments of 2, 4, 6, etc. physical cores. You can not find this feature outside Oracle HW such as Exadata, Exalogic, PCA, etc. For normal physical HW, you have to pay for all cores in the physical sever, even though you might have a small load. For VMware, it will be a big problem and a licensing nightmare, as you have to pay for all of the VMware CPU cores in the cluster, even though you might only be using 4 cores!!!!! It is an unfair policy.

Exalogic is not easy for administration.

Solutions Architect at a government
    Streamlines server consolidation and interoperability with data warehouse or BI data

• "Server consolidation. In a cloud architecture, moving the HA VM from one to other is faster. This is because of the InfiniBand network fabric between the compute nodes and storage nodes (ZFS Storage)."
    • "Scalablility: When we need to upgrade from an eighth-rack to a full-rack, the real downtime is less then an hour."
    • "Enterprise high-speed interoperability: With IPoIB we can deliver to other environments, either IP-Ethernet-based or IP-InfiniBand-based protocol, both with minimum bandwidth capacity of 10Gbps, 20Gbps, or 40Gbps, redundantly."
    • "Middleware application services, such as statistics, data mining, could be better."

How has it helped my organization?

Internally, server consolidation. In a cloud architecture, moving the HA VM from one to other is faster. This is because of the InfiniBand network fabric between the compute nodes and storage nodes (ZFS Storage). It's easy to achieve the goal of always available functionality.

Externally, interoperability with data warehouse, BI or a big data environment.

What is most valuable?

Manageability: When we deploy the solution for a customer, we generally need to integrate with an existing network. With the Exalogic Configuration Utility we can provide either as an isolated or integrated network segment.

What needs improvement?

• Highspeed transactions per second for business areas such as public-service, telco, banking, online store, payment gateway).
    • Middleware application service, suchas statistics, data mining, could be better.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Seven out of 10.

Yes. We switched because of

• highspeed InfiniBand fabric interconnect
    • proper connectivity with Oracle Data Warehouse, OLTP, or OLAP.

Straightforward when we can isolate the network segment to be integrated. Possibly complex when we don't have any information about an existing network.

Get the price of the license you will need for the middleware that will be running on top of the Exalogic. Otherwise, you can use another middleware solution, as long as it can run on top of Oracle Linux.

Yes. VMware ESXi with commodity hardware, and Huawei FusionCube.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing make sure you have network planning confirmation and existing network services, such as DNS and NTP server.

it_user531591
    Storage Administrator & Sistemista at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Problems take too long to resolve with Oracle support. There are scalability and stability issues.

What is most valuable?

The ability to have ZFS (shared file systems) with InfiniBand, and an InfiniBand connection to the Exadata database is very useful.

How has it helped my organization?

We used it create a new filesystem, and a stretched cluster with a few simple and quick steps.

What needs improvement?

Whenever there is a problem, opening a service request to get help from Oracle is an endless story.

For example, I had problems that I lived with for eight months. The answer that goes out of fashion is "the latest fw", but updating it also requires a downtime of 48 hours. It doesn’t mention when these interventions fail and must be rescheduled.

I have used Oracle Exalogic for two years.

To be honest, there was a stability issue. As I mentioned, we had to live with some bugs for months.

Scaling up the server required long machine stops of 24 to 48 hours. The interventions did not always end successfully. Sometimes they failed and needed to be rescheduled.

Technical support makes my life difficult.

The purchasing department chose this solution. Economically speaking, it is probably a cheaper option than others available, but for the technicians who work with this machine, it is fine as long as things are going OK; but every problem requires months to resolve.

The initial configuration is complicated. They deliver to you several sheets on which you need to declare, for example, a huge amount of VLAN and IP addresses. To make matters worse, the help they give you to understand exactly what you're setting is ridiculous.

We implemented it with the vendor, of course; but again, it would be nice to have more professional explanations.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to evaluate other solutions!!!

it_user502803
    Oracle Technology Anayst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It provides strong data integrity. VM template creation is too complicated. Manually installing VMs is easier.

What is most valuable?

Storage. Strong in data integrity.

How has it helped my organization?

It doesn’t improve the way my organization functions. It has only one feature that improves app performance, but in a specific way. Everything else can be done with any other infrastructure hardware/software.

What needs improvement?

- Management console: Awful to use it, complicated, too many options spread around many menus that don’t make any sense.
    - Networking: Everything is locked. It doesn’t allow you to change an IP address after creating a VM.
    - VM template creation: Too complicated. Better install manually.

I’ve been using it for 8 months.

I encountered deployment failures for a simple VM (disk problems). Every deployment or configuration change in Exalogic is a surprise. It is not reliable.

However, once it’s running, it does not stop.

I’d say technical support is 9/10, but you need to keep up the pressure or else it will be “forgotten”.

I previously used a different solution.

I did not choose this product. I run it for a customer in his environment.

I wasn’t part of the initial setup. I can’t give my opinion.

Oracle implemented it.

I’m an outsourced provider for this client/product. I don’t have financial numbers regarding ROI.

What other advice do I have?

I’d go for this product only if I have a really specific application to run, and it has proven better use with this product. Otherwise, I’d look for anything else.

it_user531807
    Enterprise Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It provides better performance for WebLogic-based applications. Initial setup was complex.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the Oracle Enterprises Manager Ops Center (EMOC) and the Data Centre Segmentation through Accounts.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved our organization by giving us better performance on WebLogic-based applications.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more than four virtual disk capability in future versions of this product.

We have used this product for three years.

We received a high level of customer service.

We evaluated other solutions and chose this one because of the lower cost.

Initial setup was complex in the sense that it was a new deployment and it involved three Exalogic appliances.

We implemented this product through a vendor team.

Eliminate EMOC annual licensing. It should be free as an OVM.

What other advice do I have?

It is good for Oracle in an Oracle environment.

it_user533091
    Senior Engineered Systems Consultant at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
    Platform for presales demonstrations, proof of concepts, training, and hands-on labs with customers. Automated tasks, templates, and an effective UI provide easy service provisioning.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are a fast and effective UI, and easy provisioning. Automated tasks can be instituted during service delivery. I use the available templates for PeopleSoft and ESB.

How has it helped my organization?

We use this platform internally for presales demonstrations, proof of concepts, training, and hands-on labs with our customers.

What needs improvement?

• Expand the templates and appliances like those that are available in OVM 3.4, such as the Oracle database firewall used in IPoIB private networks.
    • Use of Virtual Network Services (VNS 1..02) for multi-tenancy (MT) use cases, and building secure enclaves.
    • Continued evolution of the integration with EM 13c to extend MWaaS/PaaS and IaaS on Exalogic into the Oracle Cloud.
    • Tell the great story of WebLogic Partitions for separation and promotion up/from the Oracle public cloud (using Exalogic as the on-premise platform of choice).
    • Using OVAB or something like that to support Exalogic would be nice to have. The OVAB studio is not supported on Exalogic. That nurtured a service opportunity for application deployments using OVAB on Exalogic.
    • Setting up different InfiniBand partitions in the EMOC would be a nice to have for additional MTs.

I have used it for three years.

The root filesystem on the physical computer nodes began to fill-up as images were added with each quarterly PSU upgrade. We might want to expand that filesystem to account for that. Also, provisioning more than a dozen VMs can be problematic for the proxy servers to handle, and some of the jobs fail. There seems to be no issue with less than 10 VMs.

There were no scalability issues to date.

We received very good technical support.

We had previous experience with HP’s CloudSystem Matrix and CloudSystem Enterprise. The Oracle platform has a much better and tighter integration between the network, storage and software.

The setup was straightforward using the ECU.

We did not evaluate any other options before choosing Exalogic.

What other advice do I have?

If you are using only LINUX/Solaris and Oracle Fusion MW products, then this is a great platform.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are one of the largest partners with Oracle in North America.
    Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Video Review
    The most valuable feature I've seen is the integration it has with Exadata.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature I've seen in the Exalogic platform is the integration it has with the Exadata. When I'm running WebLogic based wordloads, that really need low latency to an Exadata for improved input, improved latency, that's the big value of the Exalogic.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits is it reduces the latency, reduces the amount of time for the Exalogic to get data from the database on the Exadata. When you're running OLTP applications that are very time sensitive, that's where it really comes in to play because you see the performance noticeably improve compared to other solutions.

What needs improvement?

There's a lot of additional features I would like to see in the Exalogic. The user interface would be nice to better integrate into Enterprise Manager 13 and eliminate the whole EMOC layer to the Exalogic. That causes a lot of confusion both internally as well as clients that use the platform.

I have been working with Exalogic systems for the last three years

A few, mainly due to how the OS deals with infinniband. Once you learn how that works your fine.

Stability of Exalogic's been great. In a virtualized environment, runs OVM, doing a lot of work with it. In fact, we've been using some of the Exalogic here at this event to run some of our hands-on labs that I've been doing as community efforts and haven't had any issues with stability on it, no big panics. With any system, you do have to patch it. If you don't patch it for a year or two, you might start getting some bugs.

Scalability, you can take it up to a full cabinet and that's not been an issue at all. It's a lot of horsepower in a single cabinet.

Technical support for Exalogic is okay. It's acceptable. Again, it's a complicated platform and it has some limitations that tend to have to call support a little more often.

What you really look at on an Exalogic is what's your application and would the benefit of the lower latency when you connect to the Exadata really improve your application to the point that that's the solution you want to go to.

The initial setup on the Exalogic when you're running it is pretty straight forward. It's an engineered system so most of it's up and running. You put it in the data center, do some configuration on it, and you're up and running in a day.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: I'd give Exalogic probably a 7.5. The reason is, the issues with the Emoc system and that integration, that user interface is very different. Also, some of the limitations on the Exalogic. You have to use Oracle's OS load, you can't run Windows. There's some limitations to how it works that causes some confusion. That's why I'd rate it a little lower.

My recommendation for peers if you're looking for a need to reduce the latency for your workload, definitely take a look at it. It's definitely going to be the fastest thing out there to solve that issue for your connectivity to the Exadata when you're running a WebLogic based application. You need to take a look at it for that reason alone. Be prepared for some of the limitations and make sure your application works within those limitations.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're partners.
    it_user528921
    Database Administrator at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It has a good I/O response rate. The storage system needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the product is the infinity band solution, but only if you have all of the components – Applications, Middleware, Database – running in the same cloud or in the same box.

The technology has a good I/O response rate that permits very high data processing between the frontend and backend layers.

How has it helped my organization?

We used it a lot for BI Operations, for JMS, and other business operations that need a very fast response for webservices and the result was satisfactory. On comparison with other solutions, VM for example, we saw a 70% performance improvement.

What needs improvement?

The storage system needs to be improved. Perhaps the newer version (X4) is better but on X3, we had many storage issues.

I used it for three years.

I had an issue with the GFS of the storage.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

Technical support is an issue for Oracle, not only for Exalogic products; it needs to improve. We didn't see good response from support, not as far as the response time, but about its effectiveness. We had a lot of boring situations, so the level of technical support was very bad.

We started using our applications over VMware solutions (vSphere). We were having some I/O constraints that forced us to research other solutions.

Initial setup was not totally straightforward, but not complex either. We did the 2 Box setup in about three weeks, including all Oracle Fusion Middleware products.
    I guess the most complex part was the partition setup, some network definitions, etc.

It’s very difficult to define pricing and licensing. Nonetheless, if you want a mid-range solution (you don't have much space on your datacenter, etc.), and you want to group technologies, such as network devices, storage systems, etc., and software licenses too of course, well, it can be a good choice.

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated IBM blades and other similar architecture. We started to bring back some environments to para-virtualized hosts, some with full virtualization, others only using the blade hosts, or IBM LPARs, etc.

What other advice do I have?

Well, first check if your requirements are aligned with the solution. For example, if your solution will need to connect or consume external resources (webservices, B2B, SAP, etc.) that are not in the same cloud. If this is the case, then it probably is not a good idea to choose this solution.

Robin Saikat Chatterjee
    Head of Oracle Exadata Centre of Excellence at Tata Consultancy Services

Valuable Features

The product is best used to create private clouds for middleware based on the Oracle stack and on Oracle Enterprise applications that use the WebLogic platform.This is simply the best-performing platform for this particular use case. However, the product is not appropriate for other technology stacks. Even though it might in some cases be able to run them, the results will not be as optimal. For example, Oracle E-Business Suite version 12.13 is not based on WebLogic, but on OC4J; hence, the advantages of running it on Exalogic are not as significant as the benefits with E-Business Suite 12.2, which is WebLogic based.

Also, virtual machines in Exalogic need to be based on special templates that allow VM access to the native InfiniBand protocol, something which is not available in all the other virtualization solutions that use InfiniBand as a backbone but do not expose it to the VMs.

Improvements to My Organization

As mentioned, we do not internally use this product, but we have implemented it for our clients. When combined with other engineered systems such as Exadata, we have seen from 20% to 60% better performance overall with certain operations showing much, much improved execution times.

Room for Improvement

Currently the management functions of Exalogic are not as smooth as one would desire. Basically, it is designed with one objective in mind and that is performance. Because of this, the user interface might not be as user friendly as one would expect.

Also, one of the shortcomings of the current product is that it does not allow the internal ZFS to be expanded with multiple storage trays. This would be a very useful capability and it would also enable active-active failover at the storage layer.

Use of Solution

We have implemented this solution for several of our customers starting from 2013. We have used multiple versions of this product in both bare metal and virtualized setups.

On the whole, once we understood how things worked, we were able to use the product well; initial versions of the software had problems with dynamic scaling of resources. It was difficult to adjust the memory and CPU resources of the virtual machines; however, this has been addressed in the current software releases.

The customer service and technical support we have received has been very good. We have had a chance to interact with the Oracle Exalogic A-team on occasion and they have been very generous of their time.

The initial setup is a little complex as there are a lot of moving parts that have to be filled in a spreadsheet at the outset; because there can be many different virtual IP addresses that must not clash with any others in the DC, even if the sub nets will never be routed out of the Exalogic rack (because if you create an IP over IB subnet, then any external system in the same subnet will automatically become unreachable). It takes a lot of preplanning to get things just right.

Implementation Team

As we are ourselves qualified for implementation, it was a combination of the vendor team (Oracle) and our in-house team that did the installations. My advice to anyone who is implementing it for the first time would be to seriously think about engaging an SI, as there are a lot of gotchas that the default Oracle OCS team is not going to be walking you through during the actual five days or so of installation.

ROI

At the clients where the systems have been installed, the system pays for itself within two years and by utilizing COD and Oracle VM-based licensing, they were able to restrict software license costs to make this a very compelling proposition.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated multiple solutions for different clients. However, as mentioned, this is the one that provides the best possible performance.

Other Advice

As mentioned, this is the best platform for WebLogic. I strongly recommend coupling this with Exadata, as there are multiplied benefits with this approach. The solution is not for everyone, though smaller companies can go for an IaaS op-ex model now, but the real target audience is organizations who want the best possible performance from the Oracle stack.

it_user504225
    Development and Line Manager System Integration at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It provides a standard approach to monitoring and troubleshooting.

What is most valuable?

InfiniBand (internal Exalogic network) minimizes any network outages. Exalogic has a very speedy and stable connection to Exadata (DB server) via InfiniBand. This feature is vital for products such as Oracle Fusion SOA Suite that heavily depend on DB speed and stability.

Scalability: We can easily and out of the box upgrade any domain.

How has it helped my organization?

• Standard approach for monitoring and troubleshooting
    • Less time spent on troubleshooting, as there is almost no fallout of lost messages
    • Number of non-completed requests decreased significantly due to the stable internal network

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to dynamically size the virtual servers. Today, this requires a full reboot.

I have been using it for three years.

Not anymore. Several months ago, we had some stability issues but, following patches delivered by Oracle, the machines are very stable.

Technical support is 7/10.

We used to work with VMware farms. Due to network issues and resource starvation under heavy load, we were exposed to significant support from operational teams for the non-completed and lost transactions.

As far as my colleague and I recall, no other option was considered, because Oracle “gave us an offer, we couldn’t refuse”. J

The box required design that was done mostly by Oracle; it was complex, and the implementation of the first machine took about four months with extended Oracle support.

License costs depend on your business relationship with Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

The product is good but complex, and requires extensive internal knowledge to build it up and support.

ICT Consultant at Intesa Sanpaolo

What is most valuable?

It's vendor-managed, preconfigured, and engineered. It's important mainly for reducing time and complexity in the setup and first delivery of IT environments.

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved the delivery of virtual machines and setting them up with WebLogic (Application Server).

What needs improvement?

Live Migration of the vServers will be a plus, as well as a more robust EMOC/EL control behavior.

We started using it in 2013, so for about four years.

We had no issues with the deployment.

We faced, a few times, problems with the stability of the platform due to storage issues.

We have had no issues scaling it as needed.

The overall rating is sufficient, but we expected a little bit better. And for our level of complexity, we'd like a more responsive attitude from the Oracle Support.

We moved our WebLogic Servers from a Linux standard infrastructure to the Exalogic Platform in order to have a single "family" environment.

The initial setup was fine, and it was performed according to our prerequisites.

We proceeded in two ways. First, the initial setup was provided by the vendor team. After that, we managed the platform on our own, and designed the best vDC configuration.

What other advice do I have?

It can be a good choice if you like to avoid labour in setting up the storage, network and computing. After this, you need to be prepared to rely on your team or the vendor support team because you’re going to face small but frequent issues.

it_user480237
    Group Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The most important benefit for us is the stability.

Valuable Features:

We use Oracle Database with the real application clusters and the Exalogic is the most matching real application cluster. We are now using the Oracle X3, X4, and X5 in our production environment. From the X3-2, the Exalogic started applying the very first technologies for cache writing, and so I believe Exalogic is the most stable rear echelon type database, especially for financial systems.

Improvements to My Organization:

There are many benefits of Exalogic, but I believe the most important point is production stability. There's almost no down-time. It's very important, especially for financial services because 24/7, nonstop services are required.

Room for Improvement:

The current Exalogic X5-2 is enough for financial systems. Exadata's current speed is almost enough but sometimes much slower than the older mainframe systems, so some performance improvements would be helpful.

Stability Issues:

Very stable.

Scalability Issues:

Yes. It scales well.

Other Advice:

We needed to migrate by hand all of the MSS SCSI servers and all the database servers. Unfortunately, Oracle and GoldenGate don't support all the systems, so we decided to migrate by hand.

Team Leader at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
    It's directly connected to Exadata using Infiniband, so it can take advantage of SDP to ensure lower latency and high bandwidth to connect to Oracle Database.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Engineered Systems are the best solution for Oracle and non-Oracle applications: hardware and software are combined together to ensure high availability and maximum performance. Oracle Exadata contains all the advantages of standard Oracle Database, but on top of that there are exclusive features such as IORM (IO Resource Manager) and HCC (Hybrid Columnar Compression). IORM (in combination with Database Resource Manager (DBRM)) permits you to isolate I/O requests to avoid I/O saturation. HCC provides different levels of compression to reduce space allocation and to decrease I/O.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle Exadata and Oracle Exalogic are standard-based. Customers can easily migrate their existing applications based on Oracle Database and Oracle WebLogic: they can take advantages of Engineered Systems with minimal effort during the migration process. Customers can benefit from high performance without modifying Java or SQL code and they can decide to use specific features after migrating to Exadata/Exalogic. Also, Engineered Systems can be used to consolidate complex environments: for example, our customer was able to decommission about 20 blades, using a single 1/8 Exalogic x4-2. Finally, Exadata and Exalogic simplifies patching/upgrading process, unifying firmware upgrades, ILOM upgrades, OS patching, Database/WebLogic upgrade/patching in one "single-vendor" activity.

What needs improvement?

EMOC (Oracle Enterprise Manager Ops Center) is not very user-friendly, the user interface could be improved.

We installed the first Exalogic in 2013.

It provides a standard procedure to scale the number of compute/storage nodes.

6/10

There was no solution in place previously.

Using Exadata and Exalogic, you can get the best performance optimizing the number of CPUs, saving costs on software licensing. Also, if you consolidate your environment using Engineered Systems, you can save money on hardware (storage/compute capacity).

No other options were looked at.

What other advice do I have?

As best practice, before starting the installation you should have a look at the Oracle Documentation. Oracle provides a "Getting Started Guide" to get up-to-date checklists to verify requirements (for example IP addresses, name syntax, etc.) and to be sure your infrastructure is ready for the installation. Also, we recommend to install Oracle Enterprise Manager as a monitoring solution: it is fully integrated with Oracle Exadata and Oracle Exalogic, you can monitor hardware (compute nodes, switches, ILKOM etc.) and software (operating system, Database, WebLogic, business applications etc.).

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Bridge Consulting is partner with Oracle since the beginning in 1998. In 2013, we won an award for the best partner in Italy for Engineered Systems. We are certified in many specializations: Engineered Systems, Database, Middleware and Business Intelligence.
    it_user464589
    President at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The virtualized app servers for enterprise systems supporting all HR functions is valuable. We haven't had a patching exercise occur without significant problems.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We get better performance and utilization of resources since it was implemented. It's helped to reduce the batch cycle from over 40 hours to about eight.

What needs improvement?

It's very expensive. Oracle Platinum Services (patching) is terrible, and we haven't had a patching exercise occur without significant problems and often impact to production operations.

We began the implementation the fall of 2012 and completed in September of 2013. It has been in place since then with expansion and upgrades along the way.

Significant issues with deployment of OTD (Oracle Traffic Director).

Stability for the most part has been good with some production impact which resulted from patching and version control. The product needs a better support model.

Level 1 and Level 2 I would give 6/10. Level 3 I would give 9/10. The problem was the time it took to reach the appropriate level of support to solve the problem.

Prior to the Exa platform we ran on M5000.

This was a complex implementation. Implementation of Grid, RAC, and especially OTD was a nightmare. However, once solved, it has performed well and remained stable. This was not an issue with the solution itself but more related to the technical understanding of the network design coupled with the technical knowledge required for setup of OTD. We ultimately received level three support from the Oracle product team that solved the problem. The level 3 product team was excellent.

I led the vendor team team that managed the implementation. We also engaged ACS and OCS (Oracle Consulting Service) to assist with the implementation.

Selection of Exa was after a Proof of Concept comparison with VCE, IBM, and HP. Exa had superior performance results with a significant higher cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that you do not underestimate the work involved and if working with OCS closely manage the deliverables and hours.

it_user40242
    Sr. Enterprise Architect at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
    If you're looking for the best performance for Oracle environments, at the expense of some ease of administration, then this is for you.

Valuable Features

• Oracle application/middleware performance optimization
    • Virtualization with bare metal performance

Improvements to My Organization

Exalogic has provided us and our customers with high performance Oracle Weblogic, eBusiness Suite applications and concurrent manager platform. Even with running in a virtualized configuration, the performance seen has been better than running on non-Exalogic physical environments. The ability to connect Exalogic to Exadata via Infiniband has also optimized performance between application and database improving application performance. This is particularly true for chatty weblogic applications or eBS large concurrent manager jobs like those related to advanced supply chain planning.

Room for Improvement

The administration of the VMs is cumbersome and lacks features that are taken for granted in other virtualization platforms – many administrative and availability features, even available in traditional OVM, are not available on Exalogic. This includes not having the ability to increase VM resources while the VM is online, or even being able to change CPU and memory sizes for a VM without recreating and cloning it. There is also no live migration feature available.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for two and a half years.

There have been no issues with the deployment.

We've had no issues with the performance.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

The support on the Exalogic is much better than other, non-engineered Oracle environments. Exalogic comes included with Oracle Platinum Services – a higher level of Oracle technical support – providing Oracle access to the system and allowing for faster responsiveness and resolution to issues.

The initial setup has to be performed by Oracle or a certified partner. Stating that, the initial install and setup is straightforward and is completed in a few days.

Implementation Team

As an Oracle certified partner, we implemented in-house. My advice is to utilize Oracle certified Partners, to do the implementation or utilize Oracle ACS. We have also had experiences with network conflicts in past Exalogic implementations. And much of the network configuration can not be changed without a re-install. My advice is to ensure the network addresses and information given in the Exalogic Configurator worksheet, filled out before install, is accurate and does not conflict with other addresses in the corporate network.

Other Solutions Considered

We compared commodity server based environments – but they were unable to match the performance of Exalogic.

Other Advice

Exalogic is an environment built for performance for Oracle middleware and application workloads. If you are looking for the best performance for such environments, at the expense of some ease of administration, then this environment is for you.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
    Senior Oracle DWH/BI/ODI/Linux/Exadata Consultant Exa Techstack at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    We were able to decommission blade servers, all of which are now running on Exalogic.

What is most valuable?

OVM and the InfiniBand readiness ([IBO] TCP port settings) of the VM’s in this OVM version for Exalogic are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to decommission more then 20 blade servers, all of which are now running on Exalogic.

What needs improvement?

There is still room for improvement, especially in regards to Oracle support.

Also, the SDP InfiniBand protocol needs to be usable in VM’s and patches for OVM installed for delivery.

We had no issues deploying it.

OTD (Oracle Traffic Director) is failover architecture and is not as robust as advertised. Additionally, SSO and several other features sometimes went down.

We have had no issues scaling it.

6/10

We previously used version X3-4 and upgraded to the current version.

It is an environment which runs partly via bare metal and partly via hypervisor technology, and this type of installation cannot be simple. It is also an engineered system, which means that there are a lot of tweaks that enhance it a lot, but they aren't easy. There's a rather high entry point for just setting it up.

We used both vendor and in-house teams for the implementation. First, we implemented OMCS and then, after several months, the rest of the DTAP environment. This was also the case with the functional servers (individual VM’s).

It was a little bit of a black box for me. It costs millions for the hardware and software licenses. However, the overall system runs five times faster than it did on IBM hardware.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great solution for an application server.

it_user349278
    Dy. System Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    The virtualization, especially vUser creation, is the most valuable feature for us. Reporting and bug fixes should be applied for this product on-time.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Flexibility on server creation and deployment are much easier on this machine.

What needs improvement?

Reporting and bug fixes should be applied for this product on-time.

We are the end customer and are managing Exalogic for our customer, and it's been in place for one-and-a-half years.

We had no issues with the deployment.

We have had issues with the stability as the product failed on its promise for replication of all the components. There was a zpool failure which was exceptionally problematic.

We have had no issues scaling it.

7/10

7/10

This is being used in a customer's environment, and I am unsure if they used something previously.

The initial configuration was performed by Oracle before handing over the machine to us.

The first implementation was done by Oracle, and later on we did all the new implementations.

The ROI is good, but I would suggest only a high-end customer should go for this as Platinum support is a must.

This is being used in a customer's environment, and I am unsure if they evaluated anything else.

What other advice do I have?

Certainly buy Platinum support as you will need Oracle's help every now and then.

it_user229704
    Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    My experience with Exalogic was as an implementation engineer, and infrastructure architect for a deployment using two Exalogic X4-2 deployments alongside Exadata X2-8's. Across both datacenters, we had nothing but problems - random failures, random reboots, poor performance, and not one advertised metric or feature performing as promised. Notable issues were that the computer nodes would crash for a random, or no, reason at all, taking down the entire node and every VM on it, despite HA/live migration settings being configured. The entire set up was done by Oracle certified consultants, and Oracle leadership was involved in troubleshooting the issues. I can't think of a single significant issue with performance or stability that was solved in less than nine months, and it is honestly the…

I can't think of a single significant issue with performance or stability that was solved in less than nine months, and it is honestly the worst product I have ever dealt with. If anything, a "turnkey" solution should at least WORK when the company selling it are the ones who set it up, but my team and I consistently had to teach people that didn't even know the difference between KornShell and BASH BASIC concepts. The VM's only run Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.6, so there's massive security holes out of the box, and the virtualization performance of these VM's is atrocious. The disk read/write caps out at about 40 Mb/s on the VM's because of the eight year old NFS drivers they use to power the back end. They leverage Infiniband technology, but no kernel tuning has been performed at all. We managed to get acceptable performance after hours of my own team's troubleshooting and development, and not a single thing that Oracle did during the entire process was satisfactory.

Hardware failures for this major client were subject to three weeks or more of computer nodes being out of service because Oracle's service techs didn't stock parts in advance. Predictive failure never worked once. The replication of the ZFS system was at a performance level of something five years older, with numerous issues and bugs. I lost track of the number of times something "Shouldn't have happened" when Oracle came to us with excuses.

This happened in two distinct data centers with mirrored setups, so I know it isn't a fluke. This is NOT a product someone wants to deploy in a business that requires reliability and accountability. Oracle didn't deliver on a single advertised feature working properly, and if not for my team, our projects wouldn't have even launched. The admin teams had to work 80+ hours a week just to keep the hardware from self-destructing due to the incredibly shoddy programming, support, and configuration. That's not a "turnkey" system, that's garbage.

Product Categories
    Converged Infrastructure
    Download our free Converged Infrastructure Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Dell EMC, IBM, and more!