Oracle Hyperion OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Hyperion is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Business Performance Management tools. It is most often compared to Anaplan: Oracle Hyperion vs Anaplan

What is Oracle Hyperion?
Oracle Business Analytics Suite.

Oracle Hyperion is also known as Hyperion.

Download the Business Performance Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Oracle Hyperion Customers
ITNL, Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd., Zaklady Farmaceutyczne Polpharma S.A., Daelim Industrial Co. Ltd., Barco N.V., SITA, McGregor Fashion Group B.V., PCCW Ltd.
Oracle Hyperion Video

Archived Oracle Hyperion Reviews (more than two years old)

IP
Managing Consultant at ifb international AG
User
There is an integrated solution with Oracle EPM which we utilize

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for Enterprise Performance Management (in most cases), planning and budgeting, and as a reporting/allocation tool.

How has it helped my organization?

We provide customized solutions for finance offices in any industry.

What is most valuable?

Oracle has an integrated solution for Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) and Hyperion. It keeps the two platforms opened up to each other.

What needs improvement?

Oracle EPM Cloud solutions have simplified the security model. Nevertheless, it would be better having  a more differentiated security model.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I have worked for more than seven years with Oracle EPM and Hyperion.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

We provide customized solutions for finance offices in any industry.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I have worked for more than seven years with Oracle EPM and Hyperion.

Adnan Nasir
Senior Hyperion Systems Architect at Loudoun County Govt.
We are using it primarily for our budgeting analysis and to complete our whole budget cycle within the application. The Decision Package features needs improvements for business users.

What is most valuable?

Hyperion has made our budgeting process and forecast analysis easy and robust, and it is a reliable tool. Primarily, we are using Hyperion for our budgeting analysis and to complete our whole budget cycle within the EPM application. We take the HR data from our legacy system, which is Cyborg, and then load it into Hyperion. We have a very specific type of planning application (PSPB) which is meant for public-sector planning and budgeting for governments, and it has most of the built-in, out-of-the-box calculations for us that we used to do in traditional Excel before and there was always a chance of human error. Security was an issue because we did a lot of emailing back and forth with the sensitive HR data.

How has it helped my organization?

It secures our sensitive data because it's security-enabled and is reliable with it's back-ups, migrations and restoration methodology. We can do LCM exports and import into target servers and applications. You can back up everything. Security tool is also integrated into the application. I'm happy with the security, how it is handled, and how users can integrate with their Active Directory. You don't have to go out of directory to get user names and passwords.

We're evolving with Hyperion as we move along in our yearly cycles. We have come to the point where the end-users are trained well on it. We don't have to go back and forth with emails, sending Excel files, anymore. We used to have big Excel files that you might not even be able to send through emails. Sometimes you have to put them in some common shared drive and then other users have to get it and then approve it and then send it back. That was not only insecure but it was also a hassle.

With Hyperion, all the design is done in one database, which is the central repository for all users. We have around 30 departments and they have different cost centers, and 150+ users are using the application. They're all managed by a team of around 10 budget analysts in our budget department, so the big advantage is it's all in one central repository for them. We have security-enabled for all the cost centers, and departments can log into it and they only see what they're supposed to see based on their access and based on what department they belong to.

With a big entity like government sectors, we have around 3700 employees. Like I said, we have a lot of users for this application and Hyperion has made it easier to access the data, process it, and perform data integration. Data consolidation is easier and running the reports is very easy. Hyperion has some good built-in reports and we are building our budget book from it, which is a big achievement for us.

We used to build a budget book, which is this thick book you have to print, and so putting it together was a huge challenge because you have to combine all the Excel reports with all the word narratives, format it, and then publish it for the public. Now, it's all being done using Hyperion. We're entering data into Hyperion and then pulling the reports out of there and combining the smart view add-on in Excel. Users can connect to the databases in Hyperion and then using Excel, they can pull the grids/reports, build the budget book, and then publish it.

It's easy, robust, reliable, more secure, and has built-in calculations which avoids human errors.

What needs improvement?

Not many people are aware of the new feature called Decision Package. We have a very specific tool in Hyperion called Public Sector Planning and Budgeting. It's for government entities, and it's a part of Decision Package. It's used for government entities to budget their positions, their allocations to different departments, their expenses and to create new budget requests, and to create new positions and do their analysis on it.

The Decision Package is a new feature within this application, and they released it around 2 or 3 years ago. It's working well, but it has a lot of complaints from business users. It is meant for business users, not a technical person, but they always get back to me and ask me a lot of questions and I have to troubleshoot a lot.

Oracle development is still working hard on it, I know, but it's been 3 years and it's still not 100% mature. I have a lot of issues with it. That's one of the areas that I would like to see improvement because we are one of the pioneers in the United States to implement that module in the government sector, so not a lot of users and clients are using it and we don't have a lot of help from our peers. When we talk to different peers, if they don't have it, we don't have something in common to talk about. That's our pain point, and users are having a lot of trouble and we have a lot of complaints about it.

Other than that, Hyperion is a fantastic planning tool. It works great. I always encourage users to use it instead of their accreditation auxiliary reporting, but this tool it puts me down sometimes in front of the business users. If I can't troubleshoot it and I can't give them the answer, I have to create an Oracle SR that can't be resolved in time. We have missed deadlines because of that and I had to create some workarounds from my side. That's how we got it resolved, but it's a huge pain.

It has a lot of limitations, too, on reporting of the text and formatting. For example, with the Budget Book, that's for the whole county and we publish it and we build it out of Hyperion, and if we use the reports from Financial Reporting Studio, we cannot format the way we would like to. It has a lot of limitations on text and formatting. I have tried a lot of formulas to get the format that I want, but it's not fully capable of handling a lot of text data and formatting that I need. That's another area in reporting that needs a lot of improvement.

Some stability issues are there with the Decision Package and the kind of application we have built. It has all the out-of-the-box functionality from Oracle, but it's really complicated. It's not just any hyperlink application, which all or most of the clients are using. It's very particular to government entities and how they budget their chart data and their expenses for the whole county. It's a lot of data. We have a data budget worth almost $2.5 billion, which is a lot to handle with all the different accounts and awards, projects, programs that are within our hierarchy.

It has some stability issues. Some bugs are still there, but we have workarounds which are working fine. I would like to see improvements in the specific area that I was talking about.

We are using two tools for reporting. One is the SmartView app that's used with Excel. I like it a lot. I told all of my users to use it because it has all the drilling and rolling and all the capabilities for analysis of online database applications. The other tool, which is called Financial Reporting Studio, is not user-friendly at all and it can improve a lot. It has potential to have some improvement from Oracle from a development point of view. It needs a technical developer to build the reports out of that tool, which is not good for the business users. They try to learn it but it's too complicated for them and it's clumsy and it's not as simple as using, of course, the Excel reporting that they are used to. There are not a lot of options that are available for reporting in Hyperion other than these couple of tools.

What other advice do I have?

A lot of functional users or managers involved in buying Hyperion don't realize what they're buying and what it's capable of. So, requirement analysis is the key thing. Before you talk to an implementer, determine what it is that you need and what tools Hyperion has available.

There are different tools for different purposes -- planning, forecasting, financial analysis, etc. The tools in Essbase is a little different from the tools in Hyperion. Before Oracle acquired Hyperion in 2006, it wasn't so mature, but not with the acquisition, it's expanded a lot and it much bigger than it was 10 years ago. You now have different out-of-the-box functionalities for each tool that serves the purposes of your requirements.

The key thing is to analyze and see, do you need Essbase or do you need Planning? Within Planning, what is the specific tool? We are using Public Sector Planning and Budgeting, and within that tool we are using the Position Only Model, and in that tool we are using the Decision Package Enable Application, so that's a key thing.

You need to see what you need and go for the implementation. That's why the implementer partners are there.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Anaplan, Wolters Kluwer and others in Business Performance Management. Updated: October 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user694662
Team Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
You can handle and process a lot of data in a very short time.

What is most valuable?

The fact that you can handle and process a lot of data in a very short time is the most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

We showed a lot of demos of these solutions, and a lot of clients that we demonstrated to are very much impressed. It has increased our clientele, so we have a lot more of clients in my company for this application.

What needs improvement?

It's way ahead of the competition. IBM Solutions have gone down a lot in the last few years and the future is Oracle. So, for now, I don't see any features in IBM that should be improved. It's very good for now.

I don't think that this product needs any improvement for now. I am quite satisfied with the application that we have, it is working just fine. For clients who have a good understanding of the product, it is enabling them meet their deadlines. So for now, I don't think it is necessary for me to consider.

I have used this solution for five years.

Stability is good.

Nine out of 10.

Previously, we were using IBM.

The setup was very straightforward, it is easy to use.

This was the only option that was given to us.

What other advice do I have?

I would always recommend this solution.

It is very versatile, it is easy to use, easy to access, and easy to set up.

I am very satisfied with and keen on this solution.

Ricardo Giampaoli
EPM/BI certified Consultant, Oracle ACE and TeraCorp Consulting CEO at TeraCorp Consulting

Valuable Features

As a developer, I would say that the repository itself is the most valuable feature since I can easily get information and change the behavior of Planning and Essbase.

For businesses, the ability to create forecasts in a fraction of time it took before the implementation is the most valuable feature. Also, the easy manipulation of data for hypothesis tests is very useful.

Improvements to My Organization

It provides faster and more assertive forecast cycles. It enables businesses to improve their process since with this tool you can do things easier and quicker as the business can create more complex models than were possible before.

Room for Improvement

The security could be improved, as it would be good to have security by attributing dimensions.

It also needs more power for conditional formats to disable or enable read/write in the forms based on more conditions, not just changing colors.

It needs more flexible forms similar to SmartView.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for over 10 years.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There were issues mainly because of a Java memory leak.

It's limited because of WebLogic.

The technical support for EPM is bad. I don't remember anytime that the service support helped me with something. The problem is bigger when you have an environment with more than one product like Hyperion Planning and ODI. This happens because the products have different owners within Oracle and then different supports and, because this, if you open a trouble ticket of loading data to planning and you say the words ODI, you'll be push around the two separate support teams indefinitely, even if your company has an Oracle support director just for you.

EPM is an enterprise suit that is made of some independent tools, and to have all of them working together, it makes it complex no matter your level of knowledge. The bigger the environment, the bigger is the challenge you need to face. Maybe one day Oracle will integrate all their tools. It'll be easier, and the good thing is that I saw a lot of improvements over the years.

Other Solutions Considered

I'm a consultant and my only evaluation was on the database. I decided on Oracle because of the database and during my career, their other tools are starting to come naturally.

Other Advice

Because Oracle products are development frameworks, your final results are as good as the people who implemented them. Make sure that your implementation team is the best it could be, at least for the first implementation. If something is implemented incorrectly at the start, it'll cost you a lot more to fix than to build a new system from scratch. Sometimes it can be so badly designed that it is impossible to fix.

I've been working on implementation for 19 years and I have seen bad implementations everywhere. In fact, I have seen the same tools implemented in the same team by two different people, with one being a success and the other a failure. In the same company, one department says that the tool does not work for them and another says that the tool is the best. The only difference was the implementer. Make sure you get a good team to implement it. The tool has its flaws, but most of time (99%) it is the implementer's fault that you have a bad or slow model.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're platinum partners.
it_user486594
Datawarehouse Systems Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It’s lightweight and stable. The simplified interface has gaps in the workspace.

Valuable Features

We used another product that was Excel based previously, but Planning is more on the web and lightweight, so you don’t have to worry about the Excel versions. It’s also centrally managed.

Room for Improvement

The biggest issue we have had for end users was that we lost control of functionality. Some of the problems we have had have since been fixed, but we are having issues with tabbing in all directions and scrolling through in ADF. They fixed this in a simplified interface, but it only lets you launch one application at a time. We cannot move to that interface because we are dependent on the shared workspace launching multiple planning applications.

Use of Solution

I’ve used Planning for four years.

The product is more stable than our last solution. Initially, you will have problems, but once you settle, you settle down.

We came from 11.1.2.1 and upgraded to 11.1.2.4. We scale in horizontal multiple planning instances. We don’t have insight into how it was doing in terms of load balancing, but sometimes we go to equal memory use rather than the CPU usage. There is no way to track it, but it’s easy to scale out. The difficult part in 11.1.2.4 where we are seeing a performance issue right now is where we have multiple instances. We have them both up and running, but there are issues.

If it is a priority one ticket, they tend to have the information. If they already have the knowledge to help us, the issue flows through. They don’t have information support though, so there can be weeks or months of back and forth. I also go to the Oracle community when I check for batches of the latest things. There is some useful information and Community is an easy tool.

We did a non product replace upgrade because we are not replacing the hardware infrastructure. We also did a parallel enrollment running because we did not want to take a risk. The parallel enrollment ran with a fresh install from 11.1 to 1 and we then went our own way because Oracle told us that we shouldn’t migrate directly from 11.1.2.1 to 11.1.2.4. We moved the data when we went live and all the facts came through.

Other Advice

Based on the number of products available right now, I definitely think this is one of the good products. They might have issues in the current version, but hopefully those will get fixed soon. The simplified interface is coming up to level but we may still have gaps on the workspace with that simplified interface.

it_user486534
Data Governance And Master Data Management Delivery at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
In finance, if you have a central repository feeding all of your downstream systems of the metadata that you use, you reduce the number of account reconciliations.

Valuable Features

Hyperion tools are very useful in finance. For example, the data relationship management is good for anything that you need to store hierarchical information about, and can be used for data enhancement and modeling. It has a lot of features that assist other parts of the organization as well, but the tools evolved around financial organizations.

Improvements to My Organization

In finance, if you have a central repository feeding all of your downstream systems of the metadata that you use, you reduce the number of account reconciliations and report reconciliations that you have to do. It also gives you data quality.

Room for Improvement

I think that Oracle in general is moving towards cloud technology to remove some of the costs associated with, for example, the EPM suite. The EPM suite, as its capabilities increase, requires upgrading your servers and keeping up with the technology. By going to the cloud, customers are able to avoid those costs.

Once the Oracle products are installed, they're pretty stable. A lot depends on how they're set up, and a lot depends on making sure that you adhere to best practices.

All the Hyperion products that I'm involved with scale very well. They're designed to handle large businesses. People sometimes want to do strange things. They push the tools to the limit, for example. They want to do consolidation of the product level or a customer level, and then it gets a little more complicated.

Most of the problems that we find with the products that we deal with go to Oracle for service. They have a good service organization 24/7.

Our organization has staff dedicated to the infrastructure. There are a lot of intricacies to setting up the products. It's useful to get professional people involved, especially with some of the more complex stacks features that you need to make the whole suite operate. As the products have evolved, they've merged more of the technologies together, so they're more dependent on making sure that you set the right parameters.

Other Advice

I would rate the product a nine out of ten. For what they're designed for, the tools are very useful.

it_user486564
Financial Systems Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees

Valuable Features:

We use mostly S-space planning, and have HFM and FDM as well. We're able to support fifteen to twenty countries globally from Cincinnati, and they can do all their consolidation on our one HFM application.

Room for Improvement:

We have had a little difficulty with financial reports being buggy in the client.

Use of Solution:

We have been using it for about six months.

Stability Issues:

It has been pretty stable. We're on premise. Every once in a while we will have crash, but it’s usually nothing a reboot can’t handle.

Scalability Issues:

It seems to scale pretty well. We just recently brought on another country and are in the process of building the application for them.

Other Advice:

A big benefit for most of our users is that you can use it in…

Room for Improvement:

Use of Solution:

We have been using it for about six months.

Scalability Issues:

Other Advice:

A big benefit for most of our users is that you can use it in Excel with a Smart View API. It does require a little bit of training when you first start using it though. I would rate it an eight out of ten.

it_user486561
Senior Hyperion Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

Valuable Features

For me, Smart View has been the most valuable feature, because you can use most of the Excel points.

Improvements to My Organization

We can do budgeting on time and provide an accurate forecast. You can also have budget, actual, and plan within the same report.

Room for Improvement

We usually do granular level of forecast or budget, and Oracle needs to start supporting that.

It is stable.

We have had more data to manipulate every time on promises. We have to scale a lot. It would be great if they could bring out all the cloud functionality on promises.

Most of the time it takes three months and you don’t get results. I think the Oracle support is concerned about the cloud. …

It is stable.

Other Advice

If you get the product, attend boot camp training and then start getting hands on. I would rate it a 7 out of 10.

it_user486567
Hyperion Subject Matter Expert at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

Valuable Features

The ease of use and the integration with our business are the most valuable features. We require less IT support, so the business and functional people can do more and more of the work they want to do.

Improvements to My Organization

I think they are going to have a better, faster, cheaper close process and BI. From a reporting standpoint, it won’t be pure BI.

Room for Improvement

There should be more effort put into integration processes. There area lot of products that work best together, but figuring out how to get them all to work together is still a challenge. Since there is a lot of overlap between the products, knowing exactly which parts of which products to use at what time is a challenge, and is where technical requirements still exist for us.

Stability is actually really good. About fifteen years ago, Hyperion implementations were sketchy. There were a lot of failed applications that never got off the ground. There are much less today. Most implementations are successful now, and Oracle has become significantly more efficient in standing them up. There are not many issues.

Scalability is great. I think that it’s one of the strongest points. I've worked as an independent for a lot of different types of companies, and I've seen Hyperion work well at large international banks and mid-size manufacturing companies.

Tech support is pretty good. There are certain issues that pop up that are critical or require patching of the application, and that can be a long, drawn-out process. If I could make any change, it would be providing a way to quickly realize where there is a true problem, so you don’t have to work through level three, then two, then one, which takes weeks of time to finally get to resolution.

Since every company does it a little bit differently, there aren’t any best practices. Larger companies have tickets and dedicated IT and technical administrators. Smaller companies have advanced super users who pretty much do everything. Some companies follow very strict processes of taking new implementations and running them through dev tests, then into prod. Other companies make changes right in production. It’s really across the board.

It's complex. Oracle is addressing that issue with the cloud services. It's surprisingly popular as well. I was surprised at how quickly companies were putting their financial data up on the cloud. A lot of that is because the implementation process is a pain point, because there are so many ways to do it. Between Windows, Linux, all the different external applications, hardware and software configurations, it's tough. If you can relieve that, then you pull the hardest and most expensive part out of the equation, from an IT perspective. A tool for that would really service the business, since all of your investment dollars are really going towards the functional implementation.

Other Advice

Focus on functionality and on your business. Make sure you understand what the business wants to do. No company uses more than fifty or sixty percent of the functionality of an application, so don’t get caught up on every single bell and whistle and try to implement all the features. Just implement the parts of the product that are specific to your needs. I would rate the product a solid eight out of ten.

it_user486546
Manager, Systems Implementation at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees

Valuable Features

It is a multi user web based system, which is easier for us to deploy since we have a global presence. That was our most important goal at the time we purchased the solution. The forecasting and the fact that all the users can have input are valuable as well.

Room for Improvement

They could make it less complicated. Less maintenance and lower costs would be great. Also, I would like to see some improvement in the reporting studio. It practically hasn’t been touched and is kind of static.

Use of Solution

We have been using the product since 2007.

At the beginning, it was not that stable, but the software has been getting better.

It's not very scalable. If I wanted to add another hundred users tomorrow, it wouldn’t do that. We are not on the cloud system though, so it probably works better if you are.

The support at Oracle is so specialized, even within a single product, because each product has several components. When you have a problem, you have to go through a lot of different specialists within Oracle to find a complete answer. I prefer to just have a single stop with one person taking care of the issue.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It is not going to be cheap. It's a premium product, so it's going to be expensive.

Other Advice

It’s not going to be simple. If you are a small company, there probably is a better product out there. If you’re a huge company, it is probably going to be a fit for you. I would rate the product an 8 out of ten.

it_user27945
Manager, Database and Security at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The fact that it's a consistent system without any big issues is huge for our users to make decisions based on financial results.

Valuable Features:

The reporting is the most valuable feature for us. If, for example, finance wants to know their P&Ls for their various channels, they can get that data. The fact that Hyperion is a consistent system without any big issues is huge for our users to make decisions based on financial results.

It's not complex, at least our set up isn't complex. There are lots of tools and we have our core services. We don't have a lot of strategic finance data in it, so our footprint is fairly small, making it easy to manage.

Improvements to My Organization:

The biggest business benefit is allowing P&L reporting to happen when needed. It helps us drive financial results to where it needs to be.

Room for Improvement:

Our system is user-managed at our location. So long as the system is up and running and available, our users can do what they need to do. Occasionally, though, we get issues such as process hangs or something similar, although they're usually known bugs the fixes for which we can find in Oracle support fairly easily.

Deployment Issues:

We have some process hangs occasionally, but they're usually small and easy to fix. Other than that, we don't have any major issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

Stability has been good on as we have a small footprint. It's reliable and we don't have to do much with it; we just let it run.

Scalability Issues:

We've had not had to scale it up at all. We basically have had the same hardware with that for the last 5 years.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It's not a complex thing and it went in great. We actually migrated from an old environment to a new environment on that one. We brought data forward, although there were some small issues here and there as we got it up and going, but nothing that wasn't documented or fixed.

Implementation Team:

We implemented it ourselves with our in-house team.

Other Advice:

It goes back to your reporting and what you want to get out of it. Hyperion seems to be a very good product and it seems to be pretty stable. It's something that you can give to your users to just use. It's pretty hands-off most of the time.

it_user436227
Sr. Financial Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Speed of data is the biggest key for our users.

Valuable Features

Speed of data is the biggest key for our users. The smart view application within Hyperion is very user friendly. Quick changes can be made on the fly and users getting the data that they need to make decisions.

Improvements to My Organization

I think that having it within Microsoft products as an add in makes it accessible around the clock. Someone could be working from home, log in, jump in see what their numbers are, see what their financials are, so it's a very good tool.

Room for Improvement

We're trying to push out a complete costing battle to the organization where it's going to impact finance, marketing, purchasing, inventory, across the board. That's the key feature that we want to start using and implement for better business decisions across the board. I don't think that we're effectively using the tool to the best of the ability yet. Right now we're good with Hyperion.

There hasn't been much down time, so that's a good thing. We can actually lock the users out easily so that when we're doing updates it's not impacting at a high level. Communication efforts are a lot easier that way, so it's a benefit.

As of today it is pretty scalable. We want to expand it out a bit so we came to the conference to get some additional information and we'll continue to use Hyperion moving forward.

The tech support end I don't directly deal with myself, we have someone else on our finance team who deals with those issues so I can't speak to that but as far as I know it's fine.

Other Advice

We don't know everything yet. We're happy with what we have. I think just have your requirements ready. Be as open as possible and open to new interfaces. It's a different view but it's very user friendly.

it_user448791
Managing Director at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
We haven't had issues with performance and scalability.

What is most valuable?

The entire ETL function is of great value and no feature on its own will function alone. So in my eyes there is not one feature that really stands out on its own.

How has it helped my organization?

I work in a consulting role but I believe that by implementing it a lot of organizations’ manual processes have been automated.

What needs improvement?

FDM has become redundant and is being replaced by FDMEE. FDM will not be supported in the near future anymore and no further development/improvements are done on this product.

It is a manual setup of the type of data that you want to load. To build the application you have to setup and create various locations, maps, categories, etc. You also need to define your input data structure to a certain extent. There is allot of manual work when it comes to creating an application but once the application is created there shouldn’t be any issues when it comes to loading data.

I've been using Oracle Hyperion Financial Quality Data Manager for four years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We've experienced no issues with performance.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

99% of the time we do our own troubleshooting.

I started with this product.

The initial setup was rather complex but I knew what I needed to do to achieve the end result. There are also allot of reading material on these products if you get stuck.

We used an in-house team. My advice would be to know what you want to achieve with the tool because it is very flexible.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend implementing FDM as it is falling away and will not be supported in the near future.

it_user436062
Sr. Consultant at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable feature for us is that it's a tool that supports the entire planning and budgeting forecast for the whole company. We still have issues and bugs because it's a new release.

Valuable Features

In Hyperion, we use the Public Sector Planning and Budgeting module. The most valuable feature for us is that it's a tool that supports the entire planning and budgeting forecast for the whole company. We don't need to go outside of the product in order to perform our planning and budgeting.

Improvements to My Organization

We used to rely on Excel before we implemented Hyperion, and we don't have to do that anymore and rely on those spreadsheets. The tool does all our budgeting and forecasting without much manual work. It's now all automated, saving us both time and from many human errors.

Room for Improvement

We still have issues and bugs because it's a new release. I wouldn't call us guinea pigs, although we were one of the first implementors, but there are bugs that I wish they'd fix.

For example, some of the forms don't work properly and we have started a couple of SRs that they are working on it. But the timeline they've given us seems kind of slow, especially for a severity-one ticket.

We just upgraded from 11.1.2.2 to 11.1.2.4, which came with a huge change to include the ASO cube within planning itself. This was the best change for us. Previously, we had to create a separate app each time we needed an ASO cube. Now it sits within the planning cube so there are options that allow you to choose whether you want that app within or outside the planning solution. We actually implemented it as within the planning solution, so that it syncs two cubes by itself.

It's stable and we have had no issues. It's actually more stable following the upgrade.

We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

I wouldn't say I'm 100% satisfied. The worst part I hate about it, is that when we talk about one issue, sometimes that issue just comes up and their first question is, can you reproduce the issue? That's the first thing they ask you. Sometimes it is reproducible, but not all the time. I think that's what I hate about it.

I was involved in the upgrade, and since we had 11.1.2.2, already it wasn't like we had to do everything from scratch. We had a baseline where we said, "Okay, this is what I want and from 11.1.2.4 this is what I'm expecting." It was a little tricky because it was a new feature and we had learn new stuff, but at least we didn't have to do it from scratch so it didn't make it that difficult.

Other Advice

I would definitely recommend Hyperion especially if they're doing it for their budgeting and forecasting tool. It's so easy compared to Excel or something similar. It's manual versus automated, and who doesn't like automated? I had times when I had to actually run the process myself at 12:00 at night, but now it's all automated.

it_user436188
Sr. Technology Engineer at a renewables & environment company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We've found it really useful as an add-on for the financial part of Excel because it's functionality is geared towards finance users. Oracle should have provided better documentation.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature in our experience is the user interface. We've found it really useful as an add-on for the financial part of Excel because it's functionality is geared towards finance users. Our finance users tend to like anything that can make their work inside Excel easier and more efficient.

Improvements to My Organization:

It empowers users to perform ad hoc analyses themselves rather than having to go to IT or somewhere else. That makes it much more efficient for our users to do their jobs because they have access to data analysis in front of them instead of having to find that information elsewhere.

Room for Improvement:

Oracle should have provided better documentation, and should update it more often. Right now, the documentation is not easy to understand and makes Hyperion that much less user-friendly.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deploying it.

Stability Issues:

I think that Hyperion is, traditionally, very complex. It always seems to be buggy to a degree. We're always finding something that doesn't work quite the way we want and expect. But in terms of overall stability, it's very stable.

Scalability Issues:

There are definitely certain limits. I'd say that it's not very scalable.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup wasn't not very straightforward. Installing Hyperion products requires a lot of effort and a lot of technical knowledge.

Implementation Team:

We implemented it with our in-house team.

Other Advice:

The product itself, right now, especially on the Hyperion planning side, is the industry leading software for what it does. Although it's buggy, I think that's as far as you can get on the enterprise solutions. This is way better than anything else out there.

it_user341055
Assistant Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
In the most simplest way, it allows the availability of data to be predefined as well as customized based on user inputs and requirements.

What is most valuable?

Simplistic manner of availability, provided the input is source corrected.

How has it helped my organization?

In the most simplest way, the product allows the availability of data to be predefined as well as customized based on user inputs and requirements. While in the past, this was more complex leading to data integrity issues, it is now far more controlled in the new environment.

What needs improvement?

Improvements might relate to the integration of the visual aspect of the product. While this is more database reporting, integration with the BA module similar to PS would be very useful.

There is a scope for improvement in the governance of the product. Also, there is a growing need for the product to have a real time connectivity to other non-Oracle based ERP services to service the growing needs of the organization.

I've used it for around five years.

It's good.

It's good.

No previous solution was used.

It was slightly complex owing to the initial requirement gathering and defining the schema for the business process.

We used a vendor team.

it_user208800
Senior Consultant with 51-200 employees
It has reduced the amount of paperwork but it is a technical resource hungry software.

What is most valuable?

• Formula and form creation
  • Data migration from the source system
  • Approval stages

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced the amount of paperwork as multiple people can work on a single form, centralize formula creation window (only one person/team is responsible for creating it), It is also possible to maintain history for X number of years, and compare budgets from previous years through just one form and the process of workflow management.

What needs improvement?

• The database crashes without any warnings/reasons
  • It's a technical resource hungry piece of software
  • They need to make this software easy to implement and use

I've used it for one and a half years.

6/10.

7/10

Only Excel.

It was complex because it was a new environment.

I was the lead in implementing it.

Not very high at least for a year or two.

No other options evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Take a good look before stepping into it.

it_user205302
Oracle EPM Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scalability is a valuable feature but the reporting features could be visually better.

What is most valuable?

The Essbase cube size scalability and also the calculation scrip functions.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has been helping the organization to implement complex budgeting models.

What needs improvement?

In my opinion, the reporting features could be visually better, and prettier, than it is so far.

I've used Hyperion Planning for over eight years as well as Account Manager Oracle.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

No, far from it.

9/10.

7/10 - The Oracle support has loads to improve on in my opinion.

Yes. I have used SAP BPC and IBM Cognos. Both of them have no scalability unlike Hyperion Planning.

Straightforward.

I always implement solutions through a management consultancy team, because of their high level of expertise.

The initial cost was around US$300K and the actual cost is just the annual support fee.

Yes, we also looked at IBM Cognos and SAP BPC.

What other advice do I have?

Architect design considering solution scalability is essential for a successful implementation.

it_user202521
Manager of Business Intel at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The ability to lock and send data is important. It could be improved with a better front end and user experience.

Valuable Features:

The ability to lock and send data as well as the flexibility of user security are two very important aspects of the product.

Improvements to My Organization:

The partitioning option between databases allows for users to enter data one time, versus copying data lots of times from one cube to another. This has saved hours of maintenance and eliminates data integrity issues between the cubes.

Room for Improvement:

The product could be improved with a better front end and user experience.

Use of Solution:

The solution has been in place for 12 years.

We currently use the product for Financial Reporting, and from a functionality perspective, I would rate the product an 8/10 (once you understand it). As an intuitive, user friendly, GUI application, I would rate it a 4/10.

Deployment Issues:

We have encountered no issues to date with deployment.

Stability Issues:

At one point, a data package had corrupted, causing our cube refreshes to fail. Having to restore from the backup but losing all the data inputs caused some business issues, but we were able to overcome them.

The Essbase engine does not start up automatically when the server reboots, causing users to log connection complaints.

Scalability Issues:

To date, we have had no issues with an increase in data by date, or as we get newer version.

Initial Setup:

The initial set up was complex, as we were actually migrating from version 9 to version 11. The upgrade version path was not clear, and it was easier to recreate it.

Implementation Team:

We implemented it in-house.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

We have a corporate global licensing agreement.

Other Advice:

Finding highly qualified technical consultants for this application is difficult. There are other products with a larger community available for support and development.