Oracle Identity Governance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Identity Governance is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile Identity tools. It is most often compared to SailPoint IdentityIQ: Oracle Identity Governance vs SailPoint IdentityIQ

What is Oracle Identity Governance?

Oracle Identity Governance reduces the total cost of ownership for organizations by empowering user self-service, simplifying audit and compliance tasks and automating IT operations. By delivering a comprehensive platform for access request, role lifecycle management, access certification, closed loop remediation and privileged account management, Oracle Identity Governance is a solution that address today's requirements and enables organizations to quickly adapt to emerging requirements. Oracle Identity Governance suite provides many benefits, including: Increased end user productivity, Increased IT productivity and automation of provisioning tasks, accelerated useronboarding and stringent controls over sensitive access to shared privileged accounts, Reduced total cost and risk and Increased efficiency.

Oracle Identity Governance is also known as Oracle Identity Manager, Oracle IAM, Oracle Identity and Access Management Suite.

Download the Identity Management (IM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Oracle Identity Governance Customers

Werkbank, Oshkosh, PeerPay, Boingo, Kellogg's, Pella, Slanska, Avaya, D+M

Oracle Identity Governance Video

Archived Oracle Identity Governance Reviews (more than two years old)

CS
ICT Service Delivery Manager at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
It has a quick response time but because of the bugs we have already had some major incidents and complete unavailability

• "It has a very good response time."
  • "It responds fast but because of the bugs we have already had some major incidents and complete unavailability."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the on-premise deployment model of this solution. We chose this solution because we have a lot of Oracle products and other Oracle products aren't compatible with Active Directory.

What is most valuable?

It has a very good response time but on the other hand, we have experienced a number of bugs. It responds fast but because of the bugs, we have already had some major incidents and complete unavailability. That's why we are not happy with the current version and we decided to upgrade it. We also tried to change the architecture setup to have less of an impact when the bugs occur and to have more availability. Oracle helped us to design the new architecture.

We didn't make concrete plans yet about when to switch because we are still working on the high availability setup path. It will be a high availability setup, each data center with an active process failover in case something blocks it.

What needs improvement?

The reason we are upgrading to the next version is because today we have stretched clusters across data centers. We experienced major problems with the cluster software and the product, which is coherence. In the next version, that part will be handled by the database. We hope that we will get rid of those stability problems because of the bugs that are in there.

I have been using this solution for the past seven years but it has been deployed at my company for longer.

It's not so stable in our environment. It might have something to do with our old network. We're replacing the network now but it's very latency-sensitive.

There are quite some setbacks and I think Oracle is very well aware of them. There is no real service level management on the contract side. When you log something, you do get priority, but in general, you need to escalate something for them to look into it. The quality of their answers are often not so splendid either. We already had some commercial discussions with them on how we could improve it, but it's so expensive that while it's not affordable for a company like ours, you can hire a technical account manager for products, which isn't something we can do.

It is a complex product. There are not a lot of engineers with knowledge about it. That's the first problem. I think it's a general problem. We do have one consultant and one internal person just for the line support and installations. We know from experience from a consultant that worked with different customers that they all have the same problem.

We have one consultant working on this product and it's a full-time job here.

The hardware and the operating system obviously cost money. With Oracle, you have the product itself and the management product which might be expensive sometimes as well.

As a customer, it's not okay that the salespeople sell you a product that they don't tell you all the ins and outs about and you are expected to manage it. You discover all of these things afterward if you don't ask the right questions.

What other advice do I have?

In the current setup, within our network, I would not rate it too high. It's maybe a six or a seven out of ten. Although, it might be related to the performance of our network.

It's a good product as such, but you need to be aware that you need some people who are having the knowledge.

SB
Senior Consultant at MillenniumIT
Seamless target systems integration improves efficiency by alleviating demands on the help-desk

• "This solution has improved the organization in several ways, including saving many help-desk password-reset calls, IT staff productivity, and quicker user on-boarding."
  • "Simplify & add more functionality to Identity Cloud Service (IDCS)."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for internal employee user lifecycle management and the automation of access provision for target systems. This IAM solution is implemented on-premise with complete high-availability and a separate DR site.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved the organization in several ways, including saving many help-desk password-reset calls, IT staff productivity, and quicker user on-boarding.

What is most valuable?

The features that we find most valuable are:

• Trusted reconciliation with target systems helps eliminate orphan accounts and alert administrators if unauthorized account detected.
  • Segregation of duties and role mapping helps streamline organization application efficiency and access certification for higher management
  • Workflow capabilities with customization help to achieve expected multi-level approvals with email/SMS alerts during access and account creation to responsible parties.

What needs improvement?

The improvements we feel are currently needed are:

• Immediate IAM product certification to new version 12c with other Oracle products such as CRM/ERP and SAP etc.
  • Simplify and add more functionality to Identity Cloud Service (IDCS)

Features that we would like to see in the next release are:

• Introduce a matured Privileged Access Management solution to make the IAM stack fully compliant with any customer environment.
  • Provide a solid roadmap to Oracle PAM or similar product under Oracle IAM umbrella.

Less than one year.

Good!

Excellent!

Technical Support - Overall Good

Rate - Excellent

Efficiency and we save a lot of time and money.

Get the right product which you can customize as per your business needs. IAM is a journey and you cannot switch products after 2-3 years; hence consider strong roadmap of the product.

Yes, CA and IBM products.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, SailPoint, ForgeRock and others in Identity Management (IM). Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Luis Barrera
IT Security Manager at Claro
Enabled us to save time and resources needed to perform mundane manual tasks

• "The most valuable feature is the flexible automation functionality which has optimized our user access privilege management. This has allowed us to create and delete user accounts more accurately and efficiently. This feature has enabled us to save time and resources needed to perform mundane manual tasks."
  • "You need full visibility because the suite of features are complex and you have to be clear on what you want to implement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this product is user access attestations management, from initial user account creation to privileged accounts management, including user provisioning, and self-service access. The complete lifecycle management tool enables accurate and efficient account provision.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past, we had to manually create user accounts. Now, our identity management system automatically manages users' access privileges. All we need to do is send the orders through.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We are happy with the platform. We haven't identified a need or a specific point to be improved. As a matter of fact, we are looking at more creative ways to use the system for our identity management needs. I'm looking to purchase additional modules for our system.

It's stable.

The solution is scalable. We currently have around 200 or so users.

In my opinion, our experience with technical support has been a positive one so far.

The initial setup was a bit complex primarily because you have to create a connector for every system enabling connections across the network. This is not an observation in regards to the platform itself.

The full deployment took about a year and we only require two people for maintenance.

We implemented through a vendor. We hired a consultancy company to do the initial setup and implementation.

After purchasing the solution we only needed to pay for the implementation phase to build the connectors etc. and the annual standard licensing fee for support.

What other advice do I have?

We are very happy with the performance of the platform.

My advice for anyone thinking about implementing this solution is to first consider the scope and make sure it's clear; the scope and the features that you want to implement. You need full visibility because the suite of features are complex and you have to be clear on what you want to implement.

On a scale of one to ten, ten being the best, I'd rate the product an 8 out of 10.

Operations Engineering Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Its most valuable feature is its scalability

What is most valuable?

Scalability.

What needs improvement?

Ease of use (updating entries) Backup strategy

More than five years.

What is most valuable?

Scalability.

What needs improvement?

• Ease of use (updating entries)
  • Backup strategy

More than five years.
JV
Senior IT Risk Management and Compliance Assurance Security Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
User
Improved use and dependability; allowing us to pass audit each time

• "OIM in my organization has improved its use and dependability, allowing us to pass audit each time."
  • "The proactive controls which can be configured to a granular level allowing the organization the flexibility to meet the changing demands of the workforce."
  • "Automation of validation exercises performed by humans over Recon Exceptions generated as a result of an access synchronization event over a user's need for access or not."
  • "I have yet to see its full functionality exercised in my organization."

What is our primary use case?

Based on what I have read in its OIM Service Manual and seen as a user with admin rights, the product certainly has a lot of capabilities and promise on identity and access management. However, I have yet to see its full functionality exercised in my organization.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization tremendously. When compared to its introduction five years ago, OIM in my organization has improved its use and dependability, allowing us to pass audit each time.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Reconciliation exceptions. Automation of validation exercises performed by humans over Recon Exceptions generated as a result of an access synchronization event over a user's need for access or not.

Saurabh Tripathi
Security Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It has enough flexibility to unify the access management needs of any organization into one place

What is most valuable?

• The automatic user management lifecycle with role-based features is great.
  • It is also an application that makes it easy for on-boarding, automatic access privilege, and single sign-on with internal as well as external applications.
  • It also has enough flexibility to unify the access management needs of any organization into one place.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to integrate multiple applications in one place. From there, we can manage all application access controls with many available features.

What needs improvement?

There were issues when we deployed it, though Oracle helped us resolve them. Also, there can be stability issues if the requirements are not all integrated appropriately.

We have been using this for the last five years.

We had issues that Oracle helped us to resolve.

No, we did not have any issues with stability, but it depends on how your system is integrated. If all requirements are integrated correctly, there should not be any issues with stability.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

In our experience, I would rate customer service as a seven out of 10.

In our experience, I would rate technical support as an eight out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners.
it_user723987
Solution Delivery Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Helps provision required accesses through policies, though there were setup complications

• "It helps provision the required accesses through policies, approvals, and whatever would be the business requirement."
  • "I would like to see more segregation managed through Oracle Identity Manager."

How has it helped my organization?

The ability to customize operations, unlike other products like Tivoli and, perhaps, NetIQ. I think Oracle Identity Manager provides a lot of flexibility to customize solutions, especially in the field of organizations, where you have X amount of applications to manage.

What is most valuable?

It basically manages the identity and lifecycle of every user in the organization. It helps provision the required accesses through policies, approvals, and whatever would be the business requirement. That's the most beneficial feature of this tool.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more segregation managed through Oracle Identity Manager.

Yes. Every product has its drawbacks, and this one too has some stability issues. For these, either you could follow regular performance tuning, patch a bridge, or maybe use ESLs with Oracle.

It seems scalable. My client has 30,000 applications and I think a lot of them are already using this tool. I remember putting in an application where 20,000 entities needed to be onboarded and it managed itself.

My contacts with them have been very poor in terms of resolution and complication. I would not give them more than a five out of 10.

No, I did not.

It was straightforward. One or two complications. Some were resolved, some were not resolved, and some were self-resolved. So I would not say I'm entirely happy.

Not really. I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a large scale organization, then this is the right product because it gives you a lot of opportunities to do customization and custom development. These are very much required when you have a big organization with different kinds of applications; some which are outdated, some which may not get the required support in the market.

I think their latest version has actually improved this product a lot in terms of functionality, performance, and features. There are some features the new release has which our old customers were looking forward to.

it_user719784
Security Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Aligns Well To Business Flow, The Connectors Are Good But It's Costly

What is most valuable?

The best part of Oracle Identity Manager is how well it will align to the business. There are features that are more generally required by business and you can easily get them with Oracle Identity Manager. If you compare it with Azure, with the latter you need to do customization and there are a lot of limitations in each of the tools. The connectors we have for Oracle Identity Manager are good, so you don't need to do custom connectors and all.

How has it helped my organization?

When I joined my project, they had been using a meta directory for identity management and application provisioning. There were around 150,000 active accounts, out of which many were redundant. They had left the organization 10 years ago. They were still active and they were paying for the maintenance of those accounts on a monthly basis. And there was no data clarity. So the moment we on-boarded Oracle Identity Manager, we started data cleansing, and started to do unmanaged account reconciliations.

With the help of support, we were able to reduce the cost of every identity which was active and was not in the organization.

What needs improvement?

One thing is the size of the infrastructure that is required for Oracle to implement. In addition, the maintenance cost and pricing.

With an Oracle implementation, we need to have a high availability of infrastructure where you need a minimum of four servers. Compared to SalePoint or with Microsoft Identity Manager, the infrastructure cost is notably less.

With a project for Oracle Identity Manager, the implementation cost is along the lines of a year. If you have 10 connectors or eight connectors and you have workflows, the implementation cost will usually go from eight months to 12 months, minimum. Whereas if you implement a SAP solution or a product like SalePoint, the implementation cost or time is reduced from 12 months to eight months, or even six months.

Six to seven years.

Yes. First, the audit engine. They have not advanced their audit engines from where they started. In version 9.1 it was same issue on the JMS Queues. The audit engine was getting in to queues. I had two clients whose audit engine queue was more than a million. They were not able to process those records because the audit engine was taking too much time and the reconciliation and the amount of data which we used to import was huge.

And after getting in to a year of implementation or two years of implementation, UPA tables get to a stage where they are not able to process the records. We start getting timeouts while processing the records and Oracle was not able to troubleshoot the issue.

Second, is the availability. The moment you install Oracle Identity Manager, the biggest problem is system performance. Even if you go with 8GB or 10GB of RAM, eventually after a week or so, you need a restart for it to survive, even in production. You can see logs where things are failing and the server is responding very slowly.

These things happen often with Oracle but when you compare with SIM or SalePoint, you will not see the system usage or system CPU usage to that extent.

I have done implementations up to 150k. We were provisioning 20 connectors. To be very frank, the experience I had was provisioning and reconciliation was on the scheduler.

Nowadays, if you compare scalability with cloud-based solutions, where you can implement Oracle in a SAP solution, you can extend the scalability. It is auto scalable. But if you need to extend to one or more server, it's not possible. It's not easy in any client-based environment. Scalability is something which is not possible in Oracle or as simple as any SAP solution at the moment.

So there are pros and cons of cloud-based solutions. For cloud-based solutions, you can extend to where there is no issue on the performance. But the limitation is you can't customize everything based on the client's requirements. With Oracle, that was the advantage, but the scalability was still a concern. Until last year it was a concern.

There is the team which handles the incident. And any major issue goes to a second level and then there is an AT which comes into the picture when there is a major issue and your client has a platinum partnership with Oracle. So, in scenarios where you are getting involved with the level-one team or level-two team, they come up with bookish knowledge and they will ask you questions. For instance, for small issues they will ask with you thousands of parameters in your web logic or in your OIM or in your database. And eventually when things are not getting resolved, then we move it to level-two and then AT. And that is when you actually should get results.

One of my client's audit issues was happening from almost nine months. And my previous client was the biggest client for Oracle, a premium client for Oracle, but still they were not able to resolve the issue.

I have only worked on Oracle. For the last year I have not been getting any clients who are ready to implement Oracle. So, that's the challenge for me. That's why I moved from Oracle to other solutions.

Initial setup was very complex when compared to others. Oracle is way more complex than any other implementation. SalePoint and Microsoft Identity Manager are simpler.

If I rate the cost, Oracle is the costliest at the moment. And there is no competition around Oracle and other tools. Oracle is somewhere in millions while a product like SalePoint is much less. So, I am not sure how to rate it. From a service provider perspective, or custom integration perspective, clients are proposing Oracle. So, if I propose Oracle, the only friction I get is the cost. It's too much for the client. Any small client will not be happy to use Oracle at the moment.

If I had to pick an identity management team, I would definitely pick Oracle. It's my favorite. From an implementation point of view, being a developer, I still prefer Oracle over anything else. But if I look at the market and see where things are going, I would go with SalePoint at the moment. SalePoint, or if you have any SAP solutions, I would go with Okta.

What other advice do I have?

Nowadays, what people do is they look for queries, they look for solutions on the internet and they implement them. That will take more time implementing because they don't understand what they are doing. They need to understand the tool before they implement any solution. This is something I tell my juniors as well who work under me. You can't just bypass the basics and get the solution and implement it.

So, if you talk about implementation aligned to the business, Oracle is best. The only tool which I can compare with Oracle at the moment is SalePoint. Other than that, there is no tool which can compete with Oracle from a business implementation standpoint, where it is aligned to the work flows, the customization, which we can do in Oracle.

Regarding performance, I have used SalePoint and it is better than Oracle. And infrastructure cost, which is aligned to the Oracle suite. There are so many things which you need to do on an Oracle implementation, whereas SalePoint is just a small plug-in which you can implement anywhere.

it_user522075
Java Developer at a government
Helps us to define roles and get people to specific tasks. It is hard to implement due to the security that we have to manage.

What is most valuable?

The solution helps us to define roles and get people to specific tasks. From this point of view, it is an amazing tool.

What needs improvement?

It is really hard to implement Oracle Data Manager because we have a lot security that we need to manage. We have a lot of security, so it is a bit difficult to implement, but it is still a good product.

In Canada, we have some difficulty in getting training about this. They ask for at least five people in a class and we only have three people in our team. It's impossible to get the training. We register in Ottawa, but sometimes the class is canceled because we do not have enough people to take the course.

We are learning a lot about the cloud, and I think that a cloud feature is being added this year. I am learning how the clouds can be used and the possibilities of using it. It's good for me to learn about these features.

We had some down time during the first release. We want to go to the next release. I spoke with the guys over there. It seems that it's easy to push the data that already exists in the new release. We will see. I think there will be more stability. We need to try.

The scalability depends on what you need to manage, the security needs, and the quantity of people.

I was not working on the installation. I'm just working on the part of development of plug-ins and doing Java because I am one of the Java developers. The installation does not seem too bad. I know some guys who are working to build it and put Java in place on all the servers and on all the connectors.

What other advice do I have?

I'm new at this, but I know that the tool is working. I'm not sure if the problems are coming from us or from the implementation itself. We need to balance the complexity versus the quantity of users and the way that we manage all the connectors.

OpenShift Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Some of the valuable features are provisioning workflows and identifying life-cycle management

• "Identifying connector framework for unifying provisioning capabilities from OIM."
  • "It would be great if the Oracle Fusion Middleware team worked on making it compatible with other application servers, as it exists in OIM9.x."

How has it helped my organization?

OIM contributes majorly to simplifying the user management and role management capabilities of corporate users (employees, contractors, partners, and customers) from regulatory compliance requirements by enabling least privileged access.

What is most valuable?

• Provisioning workflow
  • Accessing policies to automate provisioning requirements
  • Identifying lifecycle management
  • Identifying connector framework for unifying provisioning capabilities from OIM

What needs improvement?

This applies to the latest version of OIM support in WebLogic and WebSphere application servers only. It would be great if the Oracle Fusion Middleware team worked on making it compatible with other application servers, as it exists in OIM9.x.

No issues were found related to stability.

OIM is the right product and it is a good fit for enterprise deployments. There are no issues related to scalability, as long as it was configured as per Oracle enterprise deployment guidelines.

I would give customer service a rating of six out of 10.

I would give technical support a rating of six out of 10.

Depending upon requirements, it takes 10 days to three months to set up an environment.

it_user704019
Rådgiver at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Most areas need improvement including GUI and core functionality

• "t is too complex, has too many bugs, and is an immature product, even the best case, beta version."

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able, after eight months of coding our own Java classes, to implement a Joiner/Mover/Leaver process.

What is most valuable?

I won't lie to you. Since we didn't have an IDM, the idea of an IDM and all of its functionality has been valuable.

What needs improvement?

Most areas need improvements, all the way from the GUI to core functionality, logging, traceability, configuration, and bugs causing crashes. I don't know where to start. It is too complex, has too many bugs, and is an immature product, even the best case, beta version.)

One of the 5-6 consoles (Design Console) is a blast from the 1970's. It crashes constantly. The vendor is aware of it, but has stated that this is not a priority for them to fix.

There were no issues with scalability.

I would rate technical support as the worst. We have had constant meetings with them to follow up on our tickets. If you don't ask them for an update on a daily basis, they will not work on your case. Our average solution time is six to eight weeks, and this includes production issues. I have waited eight months for an answer, and the answer was, "If it fails when you do that, then don't do it."

We used an ETL-engine to push users earlier. It didn't have any "IDM functionality" so we switched to what we though was the best solution available.

I dare you to get an installation up and running in a PoC environment in less than a week. In my opinion, if you haven't done it before, you can't do it in less time.

What other advice do I have?

Don't use it! Find something else. Ask me for advice. We are currently switching to another vendor/product.

CE
    Senior Identity & Access Management Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    One of the most important features is single sign-on

• "The most important features that have impacted our environment recently are the Single Sign-On solution, role based provisioning, and the automated provisioning of accounts to target systems."
    • "The development and the administration side could be a lot more intuitive and easier to use than it currently is, in terms of functionality and what it tries to achieve as a Single Sign-On entity for an enterprise environment."

How has it helped my organization?

One of the most visible improvements would be the fast turn around for getting users access to the system on the day they start work and getting users out of the environment on the last day of work.

What is most valuable?

The most important features that have impacted our environment recently are the Single Sign-On solution, role based provisioning, and the automated provisioning of accounts to target systems. This is because we operate in a large environment with huge user turnover. Lots of applications are manually provisioning and deprovisioning, which can be quite daunting when done manually.

What needs improvement?

The development and the administration side could be a lot more intuitive and easier to use than it currently is, in terms of functionality and what it tries to achieve as a Single Sign-On entity for an enterprise environment. However, on the development and administration side, the learning curve is steep and quite challenging to master.

We don’t really have any issues with the platforms stability as it is up and running with minimal downtime that is caused by the OIM itself. I would rate the platform as very stable.

At the moment, we have not had any issues with the product’s scalability.

The technical support from the product owners could be a lot better. Their default mechanism seems to be referring you to documentation, which most times does not solve your issues immediately. I believe that when you reach out to technical support for help, you want someone who can help address your needs immediately, not telling you how to investigate the issues yourself.

This is the first implementation of a Single Sign-On solution.

I was not here for the initial setup, but from what I have seen so far, it seemed pretty complex.

What other advice do I have?

Document, Document, and Document. The product is very vast and complex and it can get pretty large in a short amount time. It pays to document every thing you do. Other than that, I think it’s a great product and it has a lot of potential.

it_user685398
    Principal Consultant & Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    I have found the connector framework, based on ICF, to be the most valuable feature.

• "I have found the OIM Connector framework, based on ICF, to be the most valuable feature."
    • "OIA needs to improve its governance features."

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way my organization functions through customer implemented OIM and OIA. It keeps us compliant and away from risks and federal penalties.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

OIA needs to improve its governance features.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Oracle's support is not as good as that of other vendors.

We started with OIG.

The initial setup was complex, due to suite level integration.

Oracle licenses are expensive. I suggest making pricing and licensing decisions that align with architectural requirements and the project's budget.

I evaluated CA and RSA before making my decision.

What other advice do I have?

Go with Oracle if you expect more customization features from the product.

Saurabh Tripathi
    Security Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Provides periodic certifications of access for compliance.

What is most valuable?

• Centralized life cycle management of identities: the centralized view of people requesting access to provisioning to targets and governing the access from one place
    • Periodic certifications of access for compliance

How has it helped my organization?

The organizational benefit is increased efficiency and simplicity so that we can manage the identify lifecycle faster and better, and so we can govern the access from a central place and make it easier.

What needs improvement?

Oracle is probably already working to make the overall user experience lighter, including the UI.

I have been working with all versions over the last seven years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues; it's manageable and easy.

The current version is stable. Past versions have stability issues.

There are some scalability issues with every product; most of them are related to load and performance but these can be handled and they are improving day by day.

Technical support is good, depending upon the severity and relationship with Oracle; but overall, you will get an answer.

Technical support is 3.0/5.

It's flexible enough but requires enough technical knowledge to set up.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Cyberinc is an Aurionpro company and Aurionpro is a Platinum Partner for Oracle.
    Customer Relations at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    Classic Enterprise Provisioning/Reconciliation

What is most valuable?

Rich authorization engine for delegated admin
    Robust workflow capability with BPML engine
    Extensive connector support
    Diagnostics are pretty good

How has it helped my organization?

Used it for external user registration, password & profile management

Attempted to model a hierarchical role model but the OIM Access Policies, which map roles to entitlements, don't provision entitlements from inherited roles. This is a flawed design, IMO, limiting you to a flat role model.

What needs improvement?

A lot of Dependencies - Oracle database, WebLogic, SOA
    A lot of things still have to be done in Design Console, which still has a 90's UI.
    No REST interface for Identity as a Service that I'm aware of
    Doesn't hide its complexity

Expensive
    Weak support team
    Built on, and relies on ADF for extensibility

3+ years

Poor

Hit and miss

If you're anticipating a lot of growth, you may be able to keep costs more predictable with CPU-based licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Classic enterprise provisioning system provides self-service, resource attestation, password synch, delegated admin. My use is for external user registration system into OID for target system.

it_user521919
    Principal IAM Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    It provides a centralized view of people requesting access to provisioning.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the comprehensiveness; the whole identity lifecycle management; the centralized view of people requesting access to provisioning, to SLD, and to access review; basically, the whole suite.

The features are there. Oracle has always had a good vision about where the product is going.

How has it helped my organization?

The greatest benefit is increased efficiency so we can manage the identify lifecycle faster and better and so we can govern the access from a central place and make it easier.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to focus on profile-based provisioning and make what we call the birthright access management. We need to have an easier way for people to find out the birthright rules and based on the birthright roles, the people get access they need to get what they want done.

By profile, I'm referring to job profile. Take engineering as example. To do their jobs, all engineers need access to some applications and systems. There are typically multiple engineering teams, e.g. the access needed by network engineering team can be quite different from security engineering, corporate software engineering, and customer facing software engineering. However for each of these engineering teams, people tends to have the same job profile (title, reporting to, department, etc.) and they may require the same access rights to a common set of apps / systems.

I am imagining that users could select security engineering and then a number of access requests could be generated for a list of apps / systems that a typical security engineer needs access to.

But first they need to work out the product stability issues and make it easier to upgrade, support, and troubleshoot; those kinds of things.

Sometimes, it does not meet our expectations in terms of stability. I would give it a 3.5/5 for stability.

Given that it's an OEM product, the scalability is not really a critical factor for us. People can wait for minutes, hours, even days to get access granted. For OIM, it's not really a high criteria.

Technical support is pretty good. The only comment is that it depends on which company you come from. Some companies have great relationships with Oracle's product management, so they can get access to the best resources faster than others. We happen to be one of the customers that have a close relationship with Oracle, so no complaints.

We did not really have a previous solution. OIM has been here for years. Many, many years ago, we had a homegrown solution, but it’s no longer there. For the several past years, I know it's just been OIM.

Initial setup is not a part of my job function.

I just joined, so there's no initiative to reevaluate that part.

What other advice do I have?

I would certainly short list OIM on a list of candidates along with some others in the market. With Gartner publishing every year, you have a good review for all the products on the market. For me, Oracle is at least top 5.

A vendor must have a quality product with easy-to-use features. Right now, user experience is a big thing in the market. Many vendors offer similar solutions. Ease-of-use and the quality of that is the main factor for us.

it_user521784
    DBA Manager|Principal Database Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It has improved our user-level management. Installation is straightforward and documentation is available.

What is most valuable?

This solution is for single-sign-on. We are trying to extend that feature to include other enterprise applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The user-level management has improved when you have this solution in place. It's very difficult for us to manage the user access at the corporate level. It is a 24/7 job and we are global with multiple locations. We have user groups who manage all user access on the global level. That is easier to do with Oracle Identity Management in place.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it expand to other applications as well. There are certain non-Oracle applications where the integration might be difficult. It would be good if that integration could be simplified.

The solution is stable.

It is scalable as we expand into other applications. You need to fine-tune in some areas when expanding and maintaining the application.

In this area, I don't see great support. There are a few guys we know in the Oracle support group, so we can escalate a case if they are there. The issue can then be resolved fast. It would be good if more of the team members could catch up to that level.

This installation is straightforward. A lot of documentation is available from the Oracle website. We were able to implement this in-house, without spending too many dollars. I think it is pretty good.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product. There may be some issues during setup, but once it’s stabilized, it's a perfect product.

it_user521946
    Principal Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It automates onboarding and other manual business processes. Connectors to cloud-based applications would help.

What is most valuable?

It has more for our in-house systems like ERP, Active Directory, and Exchange and the integration of IDM with all those systems. It was very customizable. We do all our customizations in Java.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used this product to automate our manual business processes, like onboarding and other processes.

What needs improvement?

Everybody's been moving onto the cloud, and it's not a cloud-based solution. That is one of the things that is missing. There are competitors that are moving ahead in the market. They have some powerful connectors for cloud applications like Workday. We don’t have any feature for connecting to Workday. It should be a cloud-based solution with connections to cloud applications.

It was pretty stable. With the volume of data that we have at this point, it was stable.

We don't have large volumes of data. From a scaling point of view, we didn’t face any issues.

For a couple of issues, we reached Oracle technical support and we raised issues with them and they were very supportive.

Initial setup was not too complicated: easy to medium.

it_user521832
    Solutions Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is stable and works under high load. It has a connector for most of the legacy products.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Identity Manager’s most valuable feature is that it is a pretty stable product, and it works on a high load. It also has a connector for most of the legacy products, so it connects pretty much smoothly: so provisioning is pretty good with this product.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle Identity Manager helps to organize, control, and maintain the user IDs and user access keys for an organization. It also has an Activity Manager, for handling situations such as an employee leaving the company.

What needs improvement?

The look and feel could be improved. I have worked with and looked at different products. The look and feel of those were pretty good or better than this product.

This is a stable product, but the look and feel is not that great.

It is pretty good on scalability as well.

Technical support is good. Most of the support is online, and they take their time. It should be a little bit more of an active response, geared to stabilizing the situation and helping clients fix their issues.

We were using something, which was acquired by Oracle and then we migrated to Oracle. We also have a lot of data to process, and Oracle performs well for that.

Considering the market, it is pretty straightforward to set up.

What other advice do I have?

Try the different products and you will feel the difference. It may be a little difficult to go with this product, but it does help developing at a later phase, so there they will get advantage. So if they really want to compare, compare it full-fledged, considering all points, not only the top one or two points; then decide whether it is good.

it_user521949
    IT Manager at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It enforces policies around maintaining identities and expiration. It is cumbersome to deploy; there are multiple layers in terms of trying to get it to work.

What is most valuable?

It brings centralized management of all the identities for the E-Business Suite; that's the central feature.

How has it helped my organization?

It streamlines the management of users, and it also provides compliance, in terms of the policies around maintaining identities, expiration, and so on.

What needs improvement?

It is cumbersome to deploy; there are multiple layers in terms of trying to get it to work; and they're also limited in terms of the number of products it can integrate with.

As far as deployment being cumbersome, I think it's just the nature of the product. For the version that we have, you need to have your own directory services or ID on top of that. Then you have to integrate it to Active Directory; that's another layer. Even the number of different products, packaged in terms of, "Do you want to do provisioning, or are you just looking to do authentication and authorization?"; all that mix is really difficult to configure.

It's very stable. Now, we do have it deployed with some high availability options on the back end, and we have multiple app servers, and that combination is very stable.

It scales well, because you can add more nodes. You can scale it vertically as well as horizontally.

I would give technical support an average score; it could be improved, it could be much better. I think it takes a long time to get to the issue resolution. You end up supplying the same information multiple times.

It's best to bring in a consultant who understands all the nuances, because of the difficulties with initial implementation. Once successfully deployed, is a fairly stable and easy to maintain, but that initial implementation is a high wall to scale for it to be successful.

We didn't look at other options because the Oracle product, at the time, was the only product that can fully integrate with Oracle E-Business Suite and manage those identities.

EL
    Enterprise Access Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It provides a consistent user interface and technical support is good.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it provides a consistent user interface. That's the primary thing, the consistent user interface.

How has it helped my organization?

Over time, it will improve the way my organization functions. We've had some challenges as far as rolling it out, but that's the goal. We have a consistent set of processes, so we need a consistent toolset to be able to disperse across our organization.

What needs improvement?

One of the things they don't have is, they don't provide support for what are called service accounts, non-human accounts, non-human IDs. That's critical.

In addition to that, we have some role mining capabilities that Oracle really hasn't included or defined what they're going to do, how they're going to incorporate that. They've been converging these two products for a very long time, Oracle Identity Manager (OIM) and Oracle Identity Analytics. There's still that component that's still outlying.

We've had some stability issues. We've worked closely with Oracle to resolve them. Just recently, we got performance issues. We're going to the new version. It was released last year. There are about a dozen customers that have it. We've discovered some performance issues. Oracle has worked closely with us. It's gotten to the point where it's ready to go. We're going live with it this weekend, the new version.

Scalability is one of the problems that we've had. Now that we've had it in production, and we have X number of concurrent users, we're having some performance issues. That's what they've helped us with, as far as they’ve given us some patches to correct the issues; it's become a little more acceptable. We're not at end state yet, so that's another thing we're going to continue to work with them on.

We meet often with Oracle. We have, literally, meetings at least twice a week with our technology staff. I coordinate a monthly meeting with some of their executives and our executives. We have a lot of visibility with Oracle. Overall, technical support is very good.

I was involved with the initial setup. It's not so straightforward. It's a very complicated space. It's a complicated tool to implement. There seemed to be a lot more customization and configuration that we needed to do; we initially believed we could just work out of the box.

Several years ago, I actually coordinated a proof of concept. We looked at several different vendors. We eventually landed with two vendors. We actually had kind of a bake off. Both of the vendors came in. We put them through a series of tests, we had usability tests, scripted tests. We had them demonstrate a lot of their functionality, and then we evaluated them. The OIM product came out on top.

We decided to go with Oracle because, when we did those different types of tests, they scored better than the other provider in all aspects.

When I’m selecting a vendor such as Oracle, it's important for us to make sure that they deliver on time, that they have a solid road map, and that they have the resources to back what they commit to.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the product. I recommend that they consider pilot rollouts when they go live, not a big bang, so they can gradually understand, once they implement it, what the real impacts are. That's pretty much the biggest “a-ha” that we had. Build the knowledge and understand how it functions, not just based on the documentation, but try it out, test it out, and come into it, eyes wide open.

I don't think there are other products like it out there. Again, there's always room for improvement.

it_user521601
    Specialist at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We're evaluating it because we need an application to allow role-based access.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Identity Manager is not in production yet. We are evaluating the product. There is a very strong motivation to get it out there into production and there is a need for it. Sooner or later, we will be doing it.

We need an application to allow role-based access. That is our next phase of implementation. We need to get there. Once our current engagements are completed, that will become our number-one priority. Right now, as I’ve mentioned, we are evaluating it. Apparently, it seems like it's meeting our requirements.

What needs improvement?

My pain point was while migrating my current user base. There is a certain point during that phase of the install where, if you get past it and make a mistake, there is no possibility of going back to a point before the mistake was done. If you cross that point, you have to start all over. That was my bad experience. I had to try it over and over to understand the point of failure. I had to do an install eight or nine times to get one right. After that, after I got my first install right, I learned that they have come up with a new mode of install called the LCM, life cycle management. That was pretty impressive. With the lessons I had learned before the LCM and with the new mode of installation, the LCM, I felt the install was, meaning the release, was done really well.

I have been using it for two years now.

Stability is as good as how you manage it. If it is in the hands of a bad administrator, it is only as good as how that administrator is.

As I’ve mentioned, we are still testing the waters. We haven't gone into experimenting how good the scalability is.

A certain team, the A-Team, is fantastic, but it's extremely difficult to reach out to that team. The last time I was in touch with them was a long time ago.

For the first year, I went around and around, and it never went anywhere. We had to escalate it so we could get our access to the right folks. There was also a learning curve, both for us and for the service techs out there who were handling my case. I think they're learning better than I am, because I'm spanned out across to other projects as well. That being their number one priority, I'm hoping that they ramp up at a quicker pace, so that, for the wider user base, it becomes a point of advantage.

Tecnologías de la seguridad y ciberseguridad en Telefónica at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The GUI is old. We need to reboot the product often.

What is most valuable?

Because OIM has a Java API, you can develop scripts and automate tasks. Integration with other products written in Java is easy, more or less.

How has it helped my organization?

The user just has to search the product+role in OIM and request it, with an approval workflow. The account is created automatically.

What needs improvement?

The GUI is very old and could be more user friendly; not all administrative operations can be done with the web interface. You need a Java client for fine tuning. Search operations are very slow, and you often need to use a wildcard. Users expect much-easier, Google search-type operations.

Stability can also be improved.

I have used it for two years.

• We see a lot of Java exceptions in logs
    • The task scheduler often doesn’t work.
    • It loses its connection with BBDD clusters.
    • We need to reboot the product very often.
    • Data sources stop working after a few days of intensive use

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 9/10.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup was complex; a lot of customizations are needed for the product to work.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Try to implement newer versions (OIM 12c, for example), or change to other vendors (IBM, CA).

it_user455391
    IT Admin at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Writing custom connectors makes it flexible enough to reach all types of target systems.

What is most valuable?

The capability of writing a custom connector makes this product flexible enough to potentially reach all types of target systems.

How has it helped my organization?

As an SI, I have implemented this product at multiple customers and it has improved overall user management.

What needs improvement?

Capability of building custom forms: Currently, the form building has very limited customization capability.

I have been using it for 2.5 years.

Password Sync had some issues, where some passwords from Active Directory use to fail while synchronization.

In customer identity management, the product suffers performance issues when scaled up to large numbers of users.

Technical support is pretty decent; would rate it 6.5/10.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup had medium complexity in terms of custom connector building.

It is very expensive.

I did not evaluate other options. The customer chose this product.

What other advice do I have?

It is one of the best in breed, but is very expensive.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a vendor partner.
    it_user446703
    IAM System Engineer - Cyber Security at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    The provision and deprovisioning means its more secure. The Design console is a bit dated and complicated to use when in development.

Valuable Features:

Connectors and the ability to provision and reconcile information. We can remove all access in one hit, but also easily provision a user with accounts all from one place.

Improvements to My Organization:

The provision and deprovisioning means its more secure, less administration is required, and all the information about an identity is stored in one place. It saves costs of having to administer a user in every area or application.

Room for Improvement:

The Design console is a bit dated and complicated to use when in development. It’s the biggest issue out there for all Oracle OIM developers who want to develop connectors (custom). Also, they need more easy to understand guides on how to use the API’s within OIM to create notifications or event handlers. I have been on a development course and this is still an area I struggle with. If we had a better understanding of the dev side of things we would do so much more with this product.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

We have had no issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

It's scaled for our needs.

Other Advice:

It’s a difficult product to fully understand but with time will become a lot easier to use. I have only used Oracle so I cannot compare it with other products.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a well established partner.
    it_user465630
    Software Engineer Team Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features, most notably Single Sign-On, Identity Management, and Identity Connector Framework, which can be implemented to provision with diverse interfaces.

How has it helped my organization?

It has assisted us with UI customization, as well as connecting to other frameworks using the OSB (Oracle Service Bus) and Custom Connectors.

What needs improvement?

The product requires improvements for UI customization with the current sandbox. Many people prefer that sandbox be removed from the product, as it has caused major challenges with wide implementations. Another improvement would be to provide the user-friendly option of replicating out-of-the-box attributes.

This solution has been successfully implemented and managed for the past 3+ years.

Deployment of sandbox is a major concern, as its stability was underprivileged if implemented with multiple sandboxes from different out-of-sync locations.

Scalability is reduced if the load increases above approximately 100,000.

I would rate this a 7. Since they have wider support level every 12 hours, a service request might change to different time zone. Therefore the same request must be provided again to the new support assistance.

No comment. I personally was not involved during the initial phase.

I personally was not involved during the initial phase.

It was an in-house implementation. Full re-testing will be required if the implementation involves a sandbox and we need to have eyes on the request page labels post-implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend for people to wait for the new version, in which the concept of a sandbox will be removed.

I rate the product a 7. The product provides good out-of-the-box functionality, and Oracle provides fair technical support, but the product does have its drawbacks. Performance is bad, and tuning must be performed by Oracle, which will take time. Customization of the product’s existing features is not user-friendly.

it_user480711
    Co Founder at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    The self-service tool for end-user access request and password change has reduced helpdesk calls. The underlying architecture of the product is quite complex.

What is most valuable?

The following is a list of features that I have observed being used by my client that I have implemented:

1. User identity provisioning & lifecycle management
    2. User Identity Profile/Attribute management
    3. Self-Service Tool for end-user access request & password change
    4. Role and Entitlement provisioning in target application/s
    5. Auto de-provisioning of user identities
    6. Audit capabilities & Report generation

How has it helped my organization?

I have seen an organization benefit through the automation of mundane repeat tasks related to setting up user identities, and managing user access as per a defined role. One of the key business driving factors for OIM implementation has been SOX compliance. End User Self-Service like password reset and access request is another feature that helps to reduce helpdesk calls.

What needs improvement?

The underlying architecture of the product is quite complex and hard to maintain and troubleshoot. Self-Service capabilities are quite limited, and the out-of-box capabilities are limited and customizations are quite complex.

I’ve been using it for four years.

Releases prior to 11gR2 PS2 were hard to deploy due to lot of shipped bugs. Every implementation was like dealing with an endless series of patches.

Once you get it working right, it turns out to be quite stable. 11gR2 PS2 can be considered as the first bug free stable release.

Scalability has never been an issue.

Technical support is horrible. It is faster to find the resolution ourselves than rely on support. Product team engagement has been helpful but it’s hard to get direct access to the product team resources. They are good at responding as per SLA without issue resolution.

I have worked with Microsoft FIM and SailPoint IQ as well. This was not by choice but the client environment was a multiple identity management platform. Silo based deployment had resulted in a solution that meant that there were multiple identity management solutions supporting the company’s global needs.

It was complex, primarily due to dependencies on various underlying technologies like Java, WebLogic, SOA, Database, and BI for reporting etc. Version compatibility was critical and any mismatch could lead to partially functional implementation. Things got better with 11gR2 PS2.

I was part of vendor team responsible for implementing the solution.

What other advice do I have?

One thing for sure, is that it is the most comprehensive solution out there in the market. During the preliminary stages when the concept of Identity Management was not well defined, every vendor came up with a product offering solution for very specific use cases. Now, the offerings are quite mature but they still have trace and limitations bound to their origins. If you are looking for a simple, and quick, tool to get started with, there are many options out there in the market but then there are limitations that require customization or creating features from scratch.

it_user456360
    Founder at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Provides us with an integrated platform for all governance products.

What is most valuable?

It provides us with an integrated platform for all governance products. We now have the ability to have a complete end to end solution with a UI framework that makes customization an easy task.

How has it helped my organization?

The audit became a breeze as the entire provisioning approval process has been brought under the the gamut of OIM. All SOX audits became very easy as the entire audit information required is available from OIM system with respect to user access control.

What needs improvement?

The product suite is abundantly heavy & complex and requires a lot of simplification. I feel that this simplification is highly important. Also, the lifecycle management of the application is very very substandard and also has to be improved significantly.

I have been using this product for three years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We had no issues with the performance.

Scalability is costly as the system resources are consumed very quickly.

It's average.

I had not used a similar product to this previously.

It is complex as the entire implementation takes a lot of efforts from the business, in partucular technology and the main implementation teams.

Although vendors are less equipped with quality implementation teams. However it is, for an initial period, advised to have an experienced implementation partner.

There were no other options looked at.

What other advice do I have?

Please choose your solution carefully and plan the infrastructure with entire applications in place.

it_user436173
    Senior Oracle Database Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It's very complicated to set up. The product does exactly what we'd expect it to do, but it took us a long time to get there.

Valuable Features:

We use Identity Management primarily within our installation of E-Business Suite. Identity Management gives us the ability for people who use Oracle Application Manager to login using their standard network username and password.

Improvements to My Organization:

We are a pharmaceutical company. We use E-Business Suite and Identity Manager to bind into E-Business Suite. That gives us the ability to carry out an e-signature so that we can track and trace anything going on, or what's going on in the database base, back to what user signed for a particular step in a manufacturing sequence, and when they signed for it. So with Single-Sign On, we can basically audit each step of a particular piece of manufacturing, who carried out the step, and when they carried out the step.

Room for Improvement:

Identity Manager is very complicated to set up. I guess where that comes from I believe, is we use it to buy into LDAP, and Microsoft and Oracle don't get on a corporate level, so it's going to be very difficult for them to get onto a software level, making it very, very complicated to set up. Now, we did eventually get there and the product does exactly what we'd expect it to do, but it took us a long time to get there.

Deployment Issues:

Deploying it was difficult for the initial setup because it was complex. After that, we've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

It's very stable. We haven't had any issues with instability that were big.

Scalability Issues:

It's scaled just fine for our needs.

Initial Setup:

We use Oracle Linux and WebLogic, and Identity Management, giving us a High Availability level that we're using with the Oracle Access Manager solution. Those 3 products in the stack -- the OS, the middleware, and then the Identity Management software to go into the middleware -- was such a complicated process to set up. I think Oracle should have provided some sort of flow chart or guide to get these products installed faster and configured in such a way that you are comfortable.

IAM Solutions Architect, CISSP at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Provides us with better control of our identity data and entitlements in target systems. The process of integrating with target systems can be simplified.

Valuable Features

Reconciliation and provisioning engine, but we also use other features like requests, approvals, and reporting.

Improvements to My Organization

We now have better control of our identity data and entitlements in target systems. Automation of provisioning, updating and deprovisioning of accounts in target systems.

Room for Improvement

The process of integrating with target systems can be simplified. Setting up a connector is a cumbersome process involving several interfaces, configuration objects, etc.

Use of Solution

It's been in production for three years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

Minor issues with stability and performance, but after tuning properly most of these were solved.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Depends on the support agent. It can vary from good to very poor. In general, it takes a lot of time before support requests are routed to higher instances like development teams.

Initial setup has got better then previous versions, but still has place for improvement. The setup involves a lot of sub-components with many dependencies etc. The documentation is not entirely clear with regards to dependencies.

Implementation Team

I work for a consulting company that has implemented Oracle Identity Manager at clients. It might be that my views are biased, but I would certainly recomend to have technical expertise before starting an implementation project.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I would recommend purchasing the licenses before the end of Oracles fiscal year. You tend to get the best discounts then.

Other Solutions Considered

We are currently involved in the process of evaluating other vendors.

Other Advice

Gartner and Forrester offer reports comparing and ranking different vendors. At the initiation of our implementation project, Oracle was ranked as a leader. The picture has changed since then. In my personal opinion, the choice of technical solution should always be subordinate to companys needs, issues and use-cases. When these are defined, the company should compare several different solutions to each other and focus on ease of learning and use of product.

it_user446739
    Business Analyst - IAM at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    We’ve outsourced infrastructure and application management, but application development and implementation is in-house. I would recommend this approach.

Valuable Features

• Provisioning
    • Certification
    • Self Service

Improvements to My Organization

It helped us reduce the user management cost, and strengthen IT security by reducing the risk.

Room for Improvement

New application onboarding requires a lot of complex configurations and setups to complete the onboarding of a new application.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for over six years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

Stability is sometimes a challenge.

It’s a very scalable application.

6/10

It's complex as the product has compatibility with many different operating systems, databases and application servers. The initial setup requires a lot of complex configurations during installation.

Other Solutions Considered

I have evaluated many IAM options, including cloud and open source products on the market. OIM fulfills the requirements for my organization.

Other Advice

Try to focus on the IAM processes and functional side of the field, rather than technical development.

Sr. OIM Consultant at a international affairs institute with 10,001+ employees
    I like the delegated administration, centralized account management and attestation.

Valuable Features

Centralized account management Provisioning, reconciliation Attestation/Re-certification Delegated administration

Improvements to My Organization

Application access is provided to and removed from end users in a timely manner, which removes delays in the on-boarding/off-boarding process. It also improves productivity and security.

Room for Improvement

It could be more stable and faster.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for eight years.

I've had no issues with deployment.

There are issues with stability in the long run.

There are issues with the scalability in the long run.

Customer Service: 6/10 Technical Support: 6/10. You need to have serious…

Valuable Features

• Centralized account management
    • Provisioning, reconciliation
    • Attestation/Re-certification
    • Delegated administration

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

It could be more stable and faster.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for eight years.

I've had no issues with deployment.

There are issues with stability in the long run.

There are issues with the scalability in the long run.

6/10

6/10. You need to have serious leverage with the Oracle account managers to get support issues fixed quickly.

It was straightforward in our case. This depends on the customer requirements and also how well planned the project is.

Implementation Team

We did it with an in-house team with help from the vendor.

Senior Technical Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It replaced the old Oracle SSO and OID, helping us save on support for off-the-shelf products. I would like to see a better installation process.

Valuable Features

• Oracle Identity Federation
    • Oracle Internet Directory (LDAP)
    • ODSM
    • OIM
    • OAM
    • Oracle Virtual Directory

Improvements to My Organization

Also, it easily integrates with other applications, even with custom apps.

Room for Improvement

• Installation process
    • Technical support
    • More relevant documentation about specific parameters (as I still have no clue what they are responsible for)
    • Better documentation for HA and clustered setup especially with F5 Load Balancers

Use of Solution

We've been using this solution for more than two years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We had some small issues with stability, particularly with memory leaks in some functions of this product. However, Oracle came up with the right patches.

We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

4/10 for Australian customer service. It seems like Oracle customer service does not know its product as well as I know it.

4/10 for Australian technical support. I noticed that US technical support is quite knowledgeable, so I recommend asking for support only from Europe or North America as they have good engineers there.

The initial setup was complex, as any enterprise identity management product would be. First, it's not clear what to download from Oracle e-delivery. Secondly, it's not one product but a complex, multiple-component system. We have to first install OID, and then find the right repository creation utility RCU. Apart from this, you need to install SOA first for OIM, and there are multiple patches for the database and infrastructure. Only after all prerequisites have been met is it possible to install.

People from a pure Oracle DBA background can't do this. You need to have all-arounders with knowledge of SSL and PKI infrastructure, plus a little bit of skill with Linux. They also need to have Oracle Database skills and not follow template thinking.

Also, due to the nature of the organization, my employer is paranoid about security, so it is done in a very secure configuration, including reverse proxies, traffic encryption (SSL), and High Availability setup with F5 Load Balancer. It was just really complex.

Implementation Team

It was implemented in-house by two or three experienced contractors/consultants, including myself.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It has many built-in components, and some components, if you don't actually use them, you don't need to purchase them.

Other Solutions Considered

We did not consider other solutions as we needed a certified and supported configuration to perform an integration with Oracle E-Business R12. Also, the potential integration with other identity management systems was a factor.

Other Advice

Just go for it. Stability and scalability are very good. Once installation is done and it is stable, you will not experience too much trouble.

it_user432642
    IAM Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Out-of-the-box connectors help to reduce the amount of development needed.

Valuable Features

Automated Provisioning to applications is one of the features that is really helpful. Also, there are a lot of out-of-the-box connectors available from Oracle that help to reduce the amount of development needed.

Improvements to My Organization

Automated Provisioning to applications has removed the effort required to manually create accounts in applications, which increases our productivity.

Room for Improvement

UI customization is still a challenge as it requires a lot of effort to develop.

Use of Solution

I've been using this product for the last four-and-a-half years, and have kept it up to date to get all the new features.

Issues at deployment depend on the load of the system. Our system is a bit heavy and requires good hardware. …

Use of Solution

Whether there are stability issues depends on the load of the system. Our system is a bit heavy and requires good hardware.

The scalability depends on the load of the system. Our system is a bit heavy and requires good hardware.

In our experience, the level of technical support has been good.

The initial setup was a bit complex if you compare it to other IDM tools. Installation and setup take a long time as it's not just a one-click installation.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with our in-house team. My best advice is to always follow the certification matrix before proceeding with installation.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're an Oracle Platinum Partner.
    IAM Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    It helps in streamlining the identity lifecycle management, beginning with bringing in an employee, contractor or partner into the system until the day they leave the organization.

Valuable Features

Its value for us comes from the fact that it allows us to manage the entire identity lifecycle, including the on-boarding (provisioning), off-boarding (de-provisioning), modifications to the identities, self-service, password management, and administration of identities.

Improvements to My Organization

It helps in streamlining the identity lifecycle management, beginning with bringing in an employee, contractor or partner into the system to until the day they leave the organization.

It also streamlines many front desk operational tasks such as password management, personal and business detail updates, and it improves the governance around identity management.

Room for Improvement

Features need to be implemented that take into consideration solutions and products outside the Oracle stack. The industry is moving towards more generalization to compete in the market, and Oracle has to adapt to those changes.

Use of Solution

Personally, I have used this for a a decade now, but with my current employer and in this role, we have been using it for the last six years.

We've had very few issues with deployment, I would say. But since we have the expertise and Oracle’s support to tackle from the product perspective, things are taken care of in such cases.

We've had very few issues with stability, I would say. But since we have the expertise and Oracle’s support to tackle from the product perspective, things are taken care of in such cases.

We've had very few issues with scalability, I would say. But since we have the expertise and Oracle’s support to tackle from the product perspective, things are taken care of in such cases.

Customer service has been satisfactory. Oracle has a lot to improve in their customer service in and around this product.

Technical support has been satisfactory. Oracle has a lot to improve in their technical support in and around this product.

We focused purely on what the product had to offer and the designed and architected it around those lines, which made the initial setup decently straightforward rather than complex with workflows to manage later.

Implementation Team

We implemented the solution in-house using a Managed Service Provider (MSP) to handle the keyboard activities where our internal team worked on architecting and designing the solution with short term engagement with vendor professional services (PS).

Other Solutions Considered

We have evaluated a few other market leaders in the area as part of our solution upgrade. When we did an apples-to-apples comparison, with our IT foot print, moving with OIM into the next version as well was the right decision.

Other Advice

Evaluate the product and solution against your existing IT Infrastructure and hybrid model of on-premises and off-premises applications. Based on the footprint weight, you need to implement your IAM Identity Management system.

it_user420084
    Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Identity Manager is its integration with other Oracle products. Specifically, its in the same stack as WebLogic and Database. This provides us a consistent set of products and tools, which is valuable for the continuity of both our IT and business operations.

How has it helped my organization?

We provide it as a service to the government. Identity Manager solves a very real problem that they have which is to control all identities they have in their system as well as access to those identities. So it really is essential to the entire life cycle of tracking identities, a problem that IM solves.

What needs improvement?

I'm more looking forward to seeing what they do for the new cloud services that they're rolling out, which is actually a different product, but they are offering identity as part of a cloud offering. This would be an improvement over the software offering.

The company overall has been using them for quite some time. Our project has been around for three years.

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability seems to depend on the day of the week. Overall, it's pretty stable, but it's software so, like anything else, it has problems.

For what we've done, it's scaled. It's difficult to say what scale we're measuring against because we're not the size of a Google, but we do have several hundred thousand identities in our system. For our purposes, it's scalable.

We work with Oracle, open a service request, and they resolve it. Dealing with Oracle support is separate from the product team, and dealing with support can be very challenging a lot of times. It's very difficult to convince them and to get them to understand the problem, and then to involve the right people to solve it. Once they get the right people there to solve it, then the support is fine.

The client was using a Sun Microsystems solutions, so Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems and the client re-evaluated what solution they should use going forward, and they made the switch to Oracle.

I came in a little after they had already started, but I was there for the initial go-live. These are large, complex products, so I wouldn't say they're easy, but we have people who know what they're doing, so it wasn't a problem.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Identity Manager is not the easiest to configure nor is it the lightest weight, but again, it's all integrated together and it's a consistent set of tools.

Senior Infrastructure Engineer with 10,001+ employees
    It has helped in the automation of account handling and creation for multiple systems.

Valuable Features

I feel the Provisioning and Reconciliation Engine as well as the Adapter Factory are most the valuable, apart from the standard features which most identity management solutions provide.

Improvements to My Organization

It has helped in central user management and the automation of account handling and creation for multiple systems. It has also helped in data interaction between customer and third party data, which is an integral part of any business these days.

Room for Improvement

Unfortunately while working with v9i, we had to do a lot of customizations because the product did not support much. With v11i, some of the customization has been reduced. However, the GUI is some what a bit more complicated, and it could be improved with a single GUI.

It's very poor, just 3/10.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Oracle is still very expensive, and is not generally used by SMEs.

Other Advice

With the new version of the products, its best left to the choice of the implementer to analyse the pros and cons of the different vendors before deciding on which product to choose.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Business partners with Oracle.
    it_user217167
    Senior Security Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It has helped in automating and reducing manual processes but all the functionalities are overly complicated.

What is most valuable?

Provisioning Reconciliation engine Adapter factory

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped in automating and reducing manual processes.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be more flexible and should have friendlier UI with more integrated features within a single UI.

I have used this product for over three years.

We faced many issues while migrating onto this solution.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 6/10. Technical Support: 3/10.

Which solution

What is most valuable?

• Provisioning
    • Reconciliation engine
    • Adapter factory

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped in automating and reducing manual processes.

What needs improvement?

I have used this product for over three years.

We faced many issues while migrating onto this solution.

6/10.

3/10.

No previous solution used.

It was pretty complicated. Everything should be UI and the 'All Design' console features should be available within the administration console.

We implemented it through an in-house team.

It is pretty good.

We had a few options like BMC, Novell, and Tivoli IDM's

What other advice do I have?

Hire experts to do the implementation as all the functionalities are overly complicated.

it_user194679
    Solution Architect with 51-200 employees
    General stability of the product needs to be improved but it allows for more centralized user management.

Valuable Features

Reconciliation User Roles Privileges Management

Improvements to My Organization

It allows for more centralized user management, improving system administration efficiency and reducing costs.

Room for Improvement

Connectors that are available for integrating with different products. General stability of the product needs to be improved.

Use of Solution

I am not exactly a consumer of the product but an implementer of the solution. I have been working on Identity and Access Management for around two years. We are a vendor and solution provider for this suite of products.

Many issues were faced during installation and deployment some of which were resolved by involving Oracle Support.

The product does have some…

Valuable Features

• Reconciliation
    • User Roles
    • Privileges Management

Use of Solution

The product does have some issues with stability certain operations such as custom adapters and event handlers do not work properly.

We have not had the need to scale the product.

Average.

Poor.

it_user204828
    Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Our clients like that it saves them time and helps with user management but the performance should be improved.

Valuable Features

User provision and user de-provision access to resources like email.

Improvements to My Organization

We are a Consulting company but for our customers it saves time, help the user management and after implemented the company’s help desk is trained to support their employees.

Room for Improvement

Performance.

Use of Solution

3 years

No issues.

6 out of 10.

Complex in compatibility between Operation System version, Data Base version, Fusion Middleware version and so on.

In-house.

Other Solutions Considered

Valuable Features

User provision and user de-provision access to resources like email.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

Performance.

Use of Solution

3 years

No issues.

6 out of 10.

In-house.

Lead Solutions Architect at Cox Enterprises
    Hard to set the SAN setup correctly for LCM silent installations​ but it shaved 6 hours per environment setup

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the attestation of identities and the robust set of identity analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

The way we have designed and implemented the solution has set us up to become a shared service model. This platform allows for us to customize any solution to meet the business capabilities.

What needs improvement?

With Oracle, it's always about the learning curve and the nature of how the product is integrated. It takes tons of training and getting the right experienced people involved in order to launch the initial framework. Some of the adapters also do not work very well or have limited functionality.

We have used Oracle IdM Products for 3 years now but just started using the new R2 framework 6 months ago.

Yes, we encountered issues with determining if we wanted to use the LCM installation over manual. Once we determined that LCM was a good choice then it was a pain getting the SAN setup correctly to allow for these silent installations.

In our sandbox environment we had stability issues but only because all the components are on the same server. Once we worked out the kinks of first time R2 users, the platform seemed fairly stable.

We did not encounter issues with scalability since we architected the solution to scale out enough to handle data.

Oracle is pretty good about helping as long as you have the solution built according to their specifications. The trick with support is making sure the hand-offs are done in a timely manner since you may start with someone from a 6 time zone difference. I always get the duty manager involved with critical issues so that these gaps are addressed.

Depending on who you get, some of these folks are really sharp and there are some still learning the product.

We used Microsoft ILM and FIM to manage our identity management provisioning and used Symphony for our Access Management side. We made the switch because Oracle offered a more robust solution for us to become a shared service for Identity Management.

As with any Oracle product, it's never straightforward. We knew what goals we needed to achieve but the challenge was having numerous design sessions to cover the possibilities, risks, and impacts in order to achieve those ambitious goals.

We had a combination of both in-house and outside professional services to help. I would rate our outside expertise very well.

Too early to determine at this point in time but we have some ROI on the deployment side by shaving 6 hours per environment setup by using automated installations.

Not including licence, we had a generous project budget to set-up and replace our legacy platform. The day-to-day cost is based on 3 people we have to support it. Of course our team & infrastructure is growing so the cost will rise by nature of supporting the service.

We evaluated products such as at Microsoft, Okta, CA, and IBM. The Oracle platform was more aligned with our business road maps and meets the desired capabilities the business needs.

What other advice do I have?

Get people who have performed R2 installations and designs. This is important because if it's not done right the first time then you will be spending a lot of time either fixing issues or having to re-build everything. When you have such a robust system such as this, it gives you many ways to architect solutions.

it_user181875
    Co-Founder at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    The security functionailty is valuable although it still needs some improvement

What is most valuable?

Governance feature

How has it helped my organization?

Security Online resources

What needs improvement?

Security Mobile app

Five years.

Yes we did have issues with deployment.

Yes we did have issues with stability.

Yes we did have issues with scalability.

Customer Service: 6/10. Technical Support: 5/10.

What is most valuable?

Governance feature

How has it helped my organization?

• Security
    • Online resources

What needs improvement?

• Security
    • Mobile app

Five years.

Yes we did have issues with deployment.

Yes we did have issues with stability.

Yes we did have issues with scalability.

6/10.

5/10.

Yes, a customer used a different solution. We switched because the new solution can cover/manage most of the in-house systems/suites of apps.

Very complex due to the different sub-components.

Yes, we implemented with the help of vendor team support. Their level of expertise was about 7/10.

Short term, it was great but longer term, it became an issue.

What other advice do I have?

Do a traceability and survey on what you need in the next 5 years, 10 years, etc.

Identity and Access Management Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's a complex product and it runs a bit slower than its competitors but it does automate user creation.

What is most valuable?

Automated User Creation and provisioning of connected resources in the case of Identity Manager, Access control to protected web resources with regards to Oracle Access Manager.

How has it helped my organization?

OIM eliminates the need for manual creation of users and assigning of various resources. It reduces the time needed for onboarding new users.

What needs improvement?

The management of workflows could use some improvement as well as the overall performance of the product. Because this is such a complex product, we find that it runs a bit slower than its competitors.

I have used the Oracle products for 7 years. I have experience with both the 10g and 11g versions of the product.

Yes we encountered a lot of issues with deployment due to the fact that we are a highly customized environment.

No, this has not been much of an issue for us.

No this has not been much of an issue for us. The product scales quite well with the size of our user base.

The customer service for the product is satisfactory.

The level of tech support could use some improvement.

We did use a different product before going to Oracle and we made the switch due to lack of support for the other product.

The setup was complex due to too many customized provisioning workflows within our organization.

We implemented the product through a partner of the vendor. Their expertise was what we expected.

Yes, we evaluated both Sun Identity Manager, and CA Identity Manger.

What other advice do I have?

I would say this is a good product but some time would have to be spent in planning and learning.

it_user176979
    I & A Management Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The product is excessively resource intensive but it does streamline account lifecycle management and single sign on.​

Valuable Features

Provisioning Single Sign On.

Improvements to My Organization

It has streamlined user account lifecycle management and single sign on.

Room for Improvement

I did not give it 10 out of 10 because of the time it takes for new versions to mature before they are bug free. The product is excessively resource intensive (i.e., hardware requirements) especially in the later versions.

Use of Solution

I have used this solution for the lasts ten years.

Some issues, such as multi data-center deployments had issues, which were resolved after working with the vendor's A team.

Customer Service: 9/10 Technical Support: 9/10

The set up is fairly complex and requires certain degree of…

Valuable Features

• Provisioning
    • Single Sign On.

Improvements to My Organization

It has streamlined user account lifecycle management and single sign on.

Room for Improvement

Use of Solution

I have used this solution for the lasts ten years.

9/10

9/10

The set up is fairly complex and requires certain degree of training and/or experience.

Implementation Team

We did the implementation in-house.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes we also looked at solutions from CA and IBM.

Other Advice

Use the previous version.

Senior Oracle Functional Consultant at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Automatic onboarding of employees and off boarding of employees is useful but sometimes there are stability issues

What is most valuable?

Automatic Onboarding and Offboarding.

How has it helped my organization?

Automatic onboarding of employees and off boarding of employees, also single sign on feature is one of the key features.

What needs improvement?

Though Oracle advertises integration of Oracle Identity Manager – Oracle GRC and Oracle EBS works, but it never works in real time.

3 years.

Yes we had lot of bugs, but Oracle resolved them.

Yes sometimes.

Customer Service: 6.5 out of 10. Technical Support:…

What is most valuable?

Automatic Onboarding and Offboarding.

3 years.

Yes we had lot of bugs, but Oracle resolved them.

6.5 out of 10.

7.5 out of 10

No previous solution used.

It was quite complex to set-up.

We implemented it with a vendor team.

6 months of implementation and it took almost $500k.

No, we are a big Oracle shop.

What other advice do I have?

If they are not an Oracle shop, I recommend evaluating other software as well.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Oracle Partner
    it_user2841
    Developer at a integrator with 51-200 employees
    A very good tool -- something which you can rely on. Worth every dime you invest in it.

Valuable Features:

Oracle Identity manager (OIM) is an application for identity administration and provisioning -- it's a solution which helps organizations to automate various tasks like adding, updating, disabling and or deleting user accounts from various applications from a single place. By implementing OIM in the infrastructure any organization can improve its compliance. With each step generating reports and optionally asking for authorization, there are very few places to look for a security hole. OIM is built on Java architecture which provides a scalable, robust and secure platform, Hence I would already give it a plus one score. OIM when combined with other applications like Oracle Adaptive Access Management (OAAM), Oracle Virtual Director (OVD), Oracle Internet Directory (OID), etc gives the best results.

Room for Improvement:

I could not come up with any cons from using this product.

Other Advice:

The second place where OIM scores well is the Out Of the Box connectors which come bundled with OIM. The concept of self service is tightly and rightly integrated with OIM. With granular functioning which could be customized to suit the organization's needs, OIM really stands out in User Account Creation, provisioning, SSO, Compliance support etc to name a few. If you cannot find what you are looking for, you can build it and integrate it with OIM which makes it a good choice when choosing an Identity access management framework for your organization.
    Alliances Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    Pros: Works with other directories out of the box, Great UI and Tools. Cons: Difficult to setup

Valuable Features

Once integrated, the administration console, integrated workflows (Entitlement requests) for approvals and self service features.

Room for Improvement

Since it was a suite of tools the customer used and we just needed to use OIM, it was a learning curve to get the products integrated and working together.

Use of Solution

Just a couple of months during a Pro Services engagement

Very good support

We needed to integrate a product using Active Directory with OIM. Getting the initial OIM product up and running in the lab was complex for first timers as well as understanding whether to use the adapter factory or if we could use an existing pre-configured connector.

Other Advice

This product has many features…

Room for Improvement

Use of Solution

Just a couple of months during a Pro Services engagement

Very good support

Other Advice

This product has many features that we were not required to worry about due to the workflows that were already created by the customer who was using the Identity governance features as well.
    Senior Technical Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Good solution for mid and large level organizations for reducing total cost of ownership

What is most valuable?

Provisioning, Reconciliation, Identity Connector Framework, Sandbox Customization, Access Request Processing, SOA Integration for Approval Processes