Oracle Java Mission Control OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Oracle Java Mission Control?

Java Flight Recorder and Java Mission Control together create a complete tool chain to continuously collect low level and detailed runtime information enabling after-the-fact incident analysis. Java Flight Recorder is a profiling and event collection framework built into the Oracle JDK. It allows Java administrators and developers to gather detailed low level information about how the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and the Java application are behaving.

Java Mission Control is an advanced set of tools that enables efficient and detailed analysis of the extensive of data collected by Java Flight Recorder. The tool chain enables developers and administrators to collect and analyze data from Java applications running locally or deployed in production environments.

Starting with the release of Oracle JDK 7 Update 40 (7u40), Java Mission Control is bundled with the HotSpot JVM.

For more information on Oracle Java Mission Control, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Java Mission Control Customers

Italian Air Force, Home Systems Consulting

Oracle Java Mission Control Video

Archived Oracle Java Mission Control Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user456369
Principal WebCenter Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps our application developers to improve performance in future releases of the applications they are working on.

What is most valuable?

Java Flight Recorder (JFR) to collect and save detailed performance characteristics for historic analysis and profiling.

How has it helped my organization?

This product gives us detailed information about real time JVM and performance data when we do detail after incident analysis. It help us to improve application performance by providing us with the CPUs that are using a large amount of application classes and methods by name. This helps our application developers to improve performance in future releases of the applications they are working on.

What needs improvement?

It requires fewer clicks and drill down screens to reach actual data, or a more user friendly way to search for data.

I have been using this product for over 10 years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We had no issues with the performance.

It has been able to scale for our needs.

9/10

I have always used this product.

In my experience, the initial setup is simple and straightforward. After the initial setup it is very easy to start using.

We implemented it in-house.

What other advice do I have?

Java Mission Control will help you to improve the performance of your existing systems and perform detailed incident root cause analysis.

it_user427263
Platform Software Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
We used it to spot and solve performance problems that had an impact on hardware costs and response times.

What is most valuable?

• Hot Methods show activity of specific methods and the origins from where the methods were called.
  • Threads contention shows which threads were blocked by which threads and for how long.

How has it helped my organization?

Using it, we spotted and solved performance problems that had an impact on hardware costs and response times. So it's saved us both money and time.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have a centralized console that receives information from agents installed in every JVM in order to get a big picture of our entire system.

I've used it for two years.

We had no issues with the deployment.

There were no issues with the stability.

We had no issues scaling it for our needs.

We previously used VisualVM and ad hoc programs that I developed myself.

The initial setup was very simple and straightforward.

We implemented it with our in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

The impact on live servers is minimal; however, it is important to perform performance profiling in the pre-live stages of high-transaction systems.