Oracle Linux Overview

Oracle Linux is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Operating Systems for Business. It is most often compared to Ubuntu Linux: Oracle Linux vs Ubuntu Linux

What is Oracle Linux?

Oracle Linux and Oracle Virtualization are powerful open source foundation products optimized for building both Private and Public Cloud Infrastructure. They provide a secure, scalable, and flexible platform for running both legacy and next generation Cloud Native Applications. As the foundation for Oracle’s Public and Managed Clouds, customers benefit from the comprehensive co-engineering which ensures a robust and highly manageable platform that is battle-tested in one of the worlds largest public clouds.. Unlike many other commercial Linux distributions, Oracle Linux is easy to download and completely free to use, free to distribute, and free to update. And Oracle Linux Support levels are simple and low cost, featuring Premier lifetime support, access to additional management tools such as Oracle Enterprise Manager, zero-downtime kernel updates using Ksplice, and access to award-winning Oracle support resources and customer support specialists.

For more information on Oracle Linux, visit Oracle.com/linux and see a whitepaper here

Oracle Linux is also known as Oracle Enterprise Linux.

Oracle Linux Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Linux Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Oracle Linux Customers

See here

Oracle Linux Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

FB
Product Development Manager at Greene Waste to Energy
User
Easy development of professional-looking web pages but support is terrible

What is our primary use case?

* Installing Oracle APEX for testing purposes * Learning Oracle APEX * Making some fancy web applications, including forms that load and display images
JM
DBA Oracle at Timestamp SI
User
It has the simplicity and agility to deploy Oracle Database configurations with a single RPM

What is our primary use case?

New infrastructure for Oracle databases: deployment of several database environments with no issues and in a faster way.

How has it helped my organization?

Speed, simplicity, and performance. Every DBA and OS administrator like the simple fact that one RPM install can be very powerful and can configure all prereqs.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity and agility to deploy Oracle Database configurations with a single RPM and custom tweaks on Oracle Linux kernel.

What needs improvement?

Improve performance and integration with new releases without affecting the ability and stability of the system.

More than five years.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DG
Software Development Manager
We are using the firewall for intrusion prevention, but it needs reporting on attempted intrusions

What is our primary use case?

We are using the firewall for intrusion prevention, and it has performed well.

How has it helped my organization?

It prevents intrusions. It does what it says it will do quite accurately.

What is most valuable?

It does intrusion protection.

What needs improvement?

It does not have any reporting on attempted intrusions.

More than five years.

It is perfectly stable; no downtime.

We have scaled it. It is sufficient to meet our needs.

I have not used technical support.

We were not…
Ian Leath
CTO EMEIA at Fujitsu
MSP
Ksplice allows us to apply hot-patching without downtime and avoid scheduling issues across multiple organizations

What is our primary use case?

Fujitsu's Oracle/Intel platform has been specifically designed with Oracle in mind using Oracle VM, Oracle Linux, for our customers wanting to use Oracle product, applications, databases. We've designed it in a way that we get the best possible performance from the applications and databases on our engineered system.

• "With Oracle Linux Ksplice specifically, we have organizations looking for minimum downtime. We're able to apply hot-patching at any time; once we've proven they're tested, ready to go, we don't need to take downtime to apply them."
  • "What we found in moving from Oracle Linux 6 to Oracle Linux 7 was the whole interfacing with the application and the fact that operating had all changed, all the commands had changed. You need to be aware that there is some kind of training, some kind of handover required for your technical guys, understanding different ways of interacting with it. Bear that in mind."

What other advice do I have?

I am the Oracle practice CTO. I work for Fujitsu. We cover all the aspects of IT, for enterprise, for infrastructure, through to applications and managed services. I work for the Business Applications Services, we cover anything around enterprise solutions, enterprise architecture, anything that will aid them in their business process. In my role at Fujitsu I oversee all of the Oracle architects, so any solution owners from infrastructure to applications, and all the bits in between. All architects and solution owners report to me. In the context of, if you're wanting to use the Oracle…
CB
Consultant at Agfa Healthcare
Provides for stable Oracle deployments

What is our primary use case?

Healthcare IT.

How has it helped my organization?

Stable Oracle deployments.

What is most valuable?

Easy Oracle integration: Oracle preinstall packages available on YUM.

What needs improvement?

Kernel updates.

it_user860853
Oracle Propositions Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Virtualisation, Linux have contributed to reduced cost and time to create customer bids

What is our primary use case?

Fujitsu uses OVM and Oracle Linux extensively with Fujitsu hardware to provide our customers with a certified, scalable, pre-tested platform to run Oracle Applications and technology.
Suk Kim
senior managed consultant at a tech services company
With Ksplice, which is provided free, it can be patched without downtime.

What is our primary use case?

Ksplice is a really cool feature. The availability is maximized because it can be patched without downtime. Oracle Linux provides free Ksplice.

What other advice do I have?

If you convert UNIX to Linux... and if stability and service downtime are to be minimized, Oracle Linux is the solution.
it_user769605
Managing Partner at Viscosity North America
Video Review
The container engine is built on the Enterprise Linux kernel, it's extremely stable and secure

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to important criteria when selecting a vendor, I think experience is there, but they really have to care. They have to own the problems; I think owning your client's problems is the number one thing.
it_user769608
Alliance Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Video Review
Moving to OEL not only cuts costs, there is no code change and no technology challenge

What other advice do I have?

I'm getting excellent support from Oracle as of now, the team dynamics are very good, my team finds it extremely comfortable working with the OEL team. We may have a lot more accounts in the next financial year.
it_user769617
CEO at C3dna
Tuned for the performance of Oracle Stack; mature, stable, scalable

What other advice do I have?

It is not only the Oracle operating system, but also the support that goes with it, and also the reliability and the backing of a large company. That is most important.
Shrikant Navelkar
Director at Clover Infotech
Video Review
You can run mission critical application while patching in the background, no down-time
it_user769602
Enterprise Architect at SRC.SI sistemske integracije d.o.o.
Video Review
Up-time could be two to three years, which is unbelievable compared Windows

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator from Slovenia and we work extensively with OVM and Linux products.

What other advice do I have?

Linux is a 10 out of 10. I would say that it's very affordable, that it's very stable, it has a great community behind it, and it's also very scalable and it performs really, really well. Up-time could be two to three years, which is unbelievable compared to the Windows world, for example.
it_user769596
Developer at a tech services company
Video Review
Open source provides cost savings yet we still get Oracle performance and support

What other advice do I have?

I would say, from my experience, that you need to make sure that all the features you are using are compatible with the OS version, the Oracle version that you are going for. So far, we haven't seen any problems, it is fully certified with Oracle, and all the features are working without any issues, it is very performant. You can go for it as long as all your features are supported with this operating system. We are very happy.
it_user769590
Developer at Miracle Sweden
Video Review
Stable, flexible, easy to work with

What is most valuable?

It's stable, you have flexibility and dynamics, and it's easy to work with.

Linux is very stable.

Scales well as well.

It works quite well, if there's a problem you can open a ticket and the support works quite well.

It depends on the complexity of the environment, but you can download images and there are all kinds of tools nowadays, so it's quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

I always liked Linux and Unix and Nix operating systems, so I always favor them before anything else. Always recommend them.
it_user769587
IAM Architect at Federal Identity
Video Review
I can develop, deploy, and test rapidly; I love the portability, moving it to other versions

What is our primary use case?

My company is based out of Virginia. I do a lot of work with the federal government.

What other advice do I have?

I wish my enterprise would adapt it, so I give it a 10 out of 10 in my book. But I guess we'll have to give it a seven and eight out of 10 from an enterprise level, just because they haven't bought in yet. If you're going to go into the Oracle industry, learn Oracle Linux, learn the ins and outs, and it'll help you out. Like I said, with the whole cloud infrastructure, the whole cloud architecture, I think Oracle Linux is the way to go.
it_user769584
IT Infrastructure Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Video Review
We are able to deploy a valid distribution of Linux; direct support from the vendor is key

What other advice do I have?

For sure, choosing a vendor that has been around a long time is important for us. The relationship with the vendor is important, because if you have to run a business on top of this operating system, you need to be sure; you don't want to have nightmares, because production is first of all. Then, all the other stuff.
it_user769581
Senior BI Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Video Review
Because it's well known, I can leverage the skills in my organization; but needs better bug logging

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest start to get some knowledge on your own, know what it is about. Then, when you approach the expert, you know what to ask. Make a dichotomic approach, the right questions. Basic training is always recommended. I would not go too deep in unnecessary training; do basic training and then start working on it.
it_user769575
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
We can stabilize environments because the drivers and kernel are optimized for stability
it_user769572
Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Video Review
If you are running Oracle systems there is no vendor conflict when you need support

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Linux with multiple clients for multiple applications.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding criteria when selecting a vendor, if I am working in an Oracle world, I would what's important is being "family." If you are using Oracle as a database, using Oracle Linux is a good choice, because you are in the same family. Support is coming from the same vendor. The chances of vendor conflict - for example, being able to pull in people from different vendors; if I'm using Red Hat Linux I would be pulling people from Red Hat Linux, I would be pulling people from Oracle databases - that kind of scenario would not be there. Support would be seamless. In terms of advice I would say…
Mike Turner
Product Lead at Zenotech
Video Review
Red Hat compatibility allows us to move very easily between platforms, including the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We're quite heavy Linux users. We do high performance computing on Linux so we like a Linux which is compatible with several platforms, so we don't have to cross-compile for too many Linux editions.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of important criteria when selecting a vendor: support, and stability of the product as well. Obviously having the packages certified by Oracle, a known stable platform, makes it easy. We don't have to worry about doing an update and then breaking things. That's probably one of the key things for us. I'd say try it out, it's simple to get running, get it onto a CIN and then just give it a go.
it_user769578
President at Viscosity NA
Video Review
UEK kernel is optimized for Oracle databases; online kernel patches with zero downtime

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, the cool thing about Oracle Linux is that the customers are going to be running an Oracle database on it. At the same time, if they’re going to be running Oracle databases on top of Oracle Linux, you have one vendor to call for support, you have one vendor to choke at the end of the day if things go wrong. It's a 10 out of 10. You are going to get great support from Oracle Linux. The portal that you would log into for support for Oracle Linux is going to be the same portal that you would log into to get your database support. It will be the same portal that you log…
CTO/Architect at Viscosity North America
Video Review
Paying only the support cost and getting Ksplice are key features for us

What other advice do I have?

I always tell them, if you're running Oracle workloads like database, that's a natural fit for Oracle Linux. Because, like I said, It's pre-configured, you get to validate configuration, you get Spacewalk, support. It's a nice little bundle. When selecting a vendor, the things we focus on are high availability, scalability, and business requirements. All those things come together. We figure out whether it's a RAC solution, OVM solution, virtualize, a middle-tier stack that all fit in together. I would say it's a nine out of 10. Start using it. If you're familiar with Red Hat, you're going to…
it_user769599
Chief Innovation Officer at Viscosity North America
Video Review
It's on the fastest machines on planet Earth, it's more secure and more private

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Oracle Linux regularly because it's a standard that works well with the Oracle Database, it works well with all the different needs. When you look at the topology in a general IT department, it fits very well. In the cloud, Linux runs the cloud. Linux is a 10 out of 10. Windows, not so much; maybe down at two or three, especially on the privacy side and security, in my opinion.
it_user656313
Oracle Unix/Linux Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
We use it to implement a virtualized environment. The documentation can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product to have. It is even better to run it on Oracle hardware.
it_user603813
Owner Consultant at a tech services company
I like the Operating System alignment with Oracle Database.

What other advice do I have?

If you are searching for an operating system build to run your Oracle products, then Oracle Linux is the best product to do that.
it_user660024
Solutions Architect Senior Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
LXC containers lock down applications within the OS.

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation, follow best practices and if you do not have standards in place, follow up on NIST/IRS standards for OS configurations to protect yourself and your client.
System Engineer at a tech company
It is free and provides support for Spacewalk.

What other advice do I have?

Just use it.
it_user417540
Oracle Database Technical Systems Consultant at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
It provides us with templates and Oracle-validated configurations that allows quicker install and configuration of Oracle Database software.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to act on the pattern: Plan – Do – Check – Act. From the way the question is formulated, the first step is done. They should now download the product, install an in-lab environment along with the related applications, check how the framework responds to the specific needs, and make the Go / No-Go decision. My estimation is that for most cases the Go decision will be taken, but that can depends on specific other elements. Another advice is to have one person providing infrastructure support with at least one Oracle Certification in this area, so easy issues become solved in agile…
it_user436146
President at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
The licensing is simpler because customers usually don't have to go to VMware, Microsoft, or any other company to get different things. The functionalities they need are already built-in.

What other advice do I have?

I would probably have them explain, at least to themselves, what they're going to use it for, what applications are going to be running on it. And if it's going to be Database or something more Oracle-based, it's going to be great for that. If it's going to be something else, it may not be the best fit, depending on exactly what they are going to do with it.
it_user418443
IT System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It gives us the ability to cover kernel bugs by using Oracle Ksplice online patching, which can be done without any unnecessary downtime.
it_user611982
Vice President of Enterprise Services at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The stability and supportability are valuable. The vendor releases security fixes and bug fixes for this product first.

What other advice do I have?

While it is very straightforward to set up an Oracle Linux server, seek advice from experienced Oracle Partners to ensure that your new servers are customized and optimized to provide the performance, availability, and redundancy you need.
it_user607413
Senior Oracle Database Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
ASMLib is pre-installed. All Red Hat-certified applications are also certified on this platform, by default.

What other advice do I have?

The UEK kernel is optimized for Oracle databases, Oracle applications, and Oracle engineered systems. So, go for it.
it_user607410
Oracle Database Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Ksplice allows us to apply kernel patches without rebooting the system. BTRFS detects file system corruption and fixes it.

What other advice do I have?

Study and learn about the Red Hat kernel and follow the news releases on the manufacturer site. Read the rich manual that Oracle offers.
RM
Unix System Administrator Ii at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
It is cost effective. The platform provides good uptime and runs on commodity hardware.

What other advice do I have?

Support for difficult problems is lacking.
ErmanArslan, Oracle ACE
Sr. Director, Systems & Databases at GTech
Fully compatible with RHEL and provides free binaries and errata.

What other advice do I have?

* Check out the validated configurations. * Read the guide to get the considerations (such as basic security considerations). * Check the certification matrix for ensuring your applications and hardware are compatible with Oracle Linux. * Get at least basic ULN support.
it_user598938
Cloud Operation Engineer at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Expect it to work well with OVM and Oracle OpenStack. The knowledge base isn’t as good as Red Hat’s.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have good Linux support staff.
it_user521934
IT Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is user-friendly. I would like to see portability to other hardware vendors.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a reliable product, this is the product. If you're looking for anything which can be scalable, you might need to look something else. Based on performance, I would rate it higher. Based on scalability, I would rate it lower.
it_user8013
Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
If you're running an Oracle database, use Oracle Linux.

What other advice do I have?

My general feeling would be "Don't worry too much." It is not that complicated. It's a very stable Linux distribution, and especially when you're in doubt, you can always reach out to the guys from Oracle. That is, of course, if you chose to pay for it, but you can try this stuff for free. You can spin it off on a VirtualBox image. Just download stuff, just give it a try and you will see how easy it is. That's my general advice. If you're an Oracle shop, it should be the first operating system in the Linux sphere to think about. Don't start doing stuff yourself with Red Hat or other…
it_user436116
Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable feature is that it's supported by Oracle with a kernel called Unbreakable Linux.
it_user486498
Solutions Architect Hyperion at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
The valuable features are the performance, the backup and the restore mechanism.

What other advice do I have?

Performance is amazing, and it’s better than Windows. I would give it a ten out of ten.
it_user436173
Senior Oracle Database Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
With the licensing, it was clear what we had to pay for it, what we got, and what we can get in the future.
it_user436206
Oracle Applications DBA/UNIX SA at a agriculture with 1,001-5,000 employees
I like that it can run on generic hardware, which is definitely a plus over the proprietary hardware that we had on previous Oracle installations.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure you follow the instructions for installation, setup, and configuration.
it_user284961
Senior Product Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Video Review
Out of the box it's already pre-optimized and pre-configured. Having that marriage between the OS and the database is critical.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: It’s a 10, because even though there are free alternatives, I mean totally free alternatives, like CentOS, I've quit using them. For me to quit using something that's totally free, with no even maintenance charges, must mean that what I've chosen is worth every penny of whatever costs there are. Oracle Linux is clearly there.
it_user418419
Linux System Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
There needs to be more rapid upstreaming of security fixes released by Red Hat or Fedora.

What other advice do I have?

Just don't do it, unless you're locked in by your vendor, or hardware, or project manager.
it_user436065
IT Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We can get support for it as part of our Oracle infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

Study ahead of time so you know what you're working with. It's not difficult, but you should know enough to make it easier on yourself.
it_user436122
Sr. Systems Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
In Oracle Database shops, Oracle Linux tends to have a little bit higher level of trust among DBAs as the more reliable solution.

What other advice do I have?

If they decide they want to have all the tools, if you have to have the support and if the DBA's are calling the shots that, you know, it's a big Oracle shop and they decide they want to have all Oracle Linux and maybe there was a deal cut and maybe they got a better deal from them than they got from Novell who own SLES.
it_user436125
Lead Product Dev at a tech company
Easy to use and configure for other Oracle products, as I can just run a pre-validated package.
OATS Engineer-Onsite Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We wanted to move to a Linux operating system for our backend servers, and we used Oracle Linux to do that.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to follow instructions and have a Linux technician at hand. You could try to install it in a sandbox before using it in a production machine.
Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Compared to RHEL, it is much easier to install, configure, and run Oracle Database and Grid Infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

This probably isn't something you would replace another product with completely. Although it is a full Linux distribution, it is formulated for Oracle software and hardware products. Try it first for the Oracle database and see if you like it. Make sure to test out support as well. Oracle isn't the only vendor that will support this product, but they do have direct influence when something needs to change or troubleshoot.
Senior Oracle DBA at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
The first most valuable feature of Oracle Linux is its kernel design to meet business needs, especially on other Oracle products like Engineered Systems and Cloud Services.

What other advice do I have?

I have recommend Oracle Linux for the reason Oracle is the only vendor in the industry that offers a complete Linux-based solution stack—applications, middleware, database, management tools, operating system and hardware—along with a single point of support. Customers that deploy Oracle Linux benefit greatly from the latest Linux innovations as well as rigorous testing with real world workloads. IT departments can deploy applications more quickly using lightweight Linux Containers and Docker images, or combine these approaches to improve application isolation, resource control, and rapid…
it_user428364
Senior Production Support Engineer at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
Oracle has a repo pre-installer entry that is explicitly for Oracle Database, and when installing the database on Oracle Linux, I'm able to simply install the 11g or 12c pre-install settings.
Hank Uhl
Systems Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
I was very impressed with the ability of Grid Infrastructure to provide HANFS services, as well as the ability to create a custom clustered service, which I used to implement redundant Samba shares.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle’s online documentation was very adequate for most troubleshooting, however, I would infer that only after learning the terminology used for the various products. I don’t know if it’s possible to overcome this technically (e.g. better search capability with online documentation), as this is more of an educational issue. I believe it would be beneficial for Oracle, or resellers of Oracle products, to host a conference at a customer’s location after the purchase of more complex products as an introduction to the terminology and operational philosophy (e.g. Grid Infrastructure is more of an…
it_user418464
Oracle DBA, Linux system administrator, IT engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It's easily configurable for Oracle applications (mostly Database) due to the Oracle-validated meta-package. I don't think bluetooth should be installed by default.

What other advice do I have?

I can only recommend it to everyone has to work with Oracle products and Linux environments.
Download our free Oracle Linux Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.