Oracle OBIEE OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle OBIEE is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Business Intelligence Tools. It is most often compared to Oracle Analytics Cloud: Oracle OBIEE vs Oracle Analytics Cloud

What is Oracle OBIEE?

OBIEE is a multifaceted network of tools that can create a more fluid and better-integrated data flow for your business. This service is actually a platform that is made up of six individual elements, rather than a single tool with multiple features. These services include: presentation catalog, BI presentation service, BI scheduler service, BI server service,administration client, and metadata repository.

The purpose of the OBIEE is to have an entire system for all of your enterprising needs. The various tools within the suite can take your data, organize it, analyze it and then glean the pertinent information from it, sending it on to the relevant parties who can then use it for metrics, pattern analysis, and future projections. The essence of the platform is to integrate your current IT together with their tools in order to give you the overall best return on investment with minimal fiscal obligations.

Oracle OBIEE is also known as OBIEE, Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition, Oracle BI, Oracle BI EE 11g.

Oracle OBIEE Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle OBIEE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Oracle OBIEE Customers

Banca Transilvania, BeckmanCoulter, Hong Kong Housing Society, HealthShare, Ivanhoe Cambridge Unifies, and Home Credit, and Finance Bank.

Oracle OBIEE Video

Oracle OBIEE Reviews

ZA
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Great machine learning capabilities on the cloud with good security mechanisms for larger organizations

• "They are introducing AI. There are good forecasting features and machine learning."
  • "The solution is too expensive for small firms."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly used the solution for their warehouse. OBIEE is a complete package and it includes OLAP analytics as well as OLTP. We use both features of OBIEE.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's a very good tool.

We have implemented the solution effectively in large organizations, like utility companies or banks. Their budgets are pretty high and they can pretty much afford the costs involved in the solution.

For their OLTP reports, like online transaction reports, we use BI Publisher, and for warehousing, we use OBIEE to populate the dashboards for the business. That's why it's so useful for us. Oracle gives us lots of features and visualizations. In the recent version of 12c, they had introduced many features in visualization as well as dashboards.

They introduced AI and forecasting in their latest versions and they are now working on the cloud. They are also giving the latest version of OBIEE with cloud, called Oracle Analytics Cloud enterprises.

They have a new security mechanism that is very strong.

There's great forecasting features both for on-premise and cloud deployment models.

What needs improvement?

Thanks, Ms. Julia Frohwein for the review. I would like to explain the points which I had written in the first post.

The solution is too expensive for small firms.

The solution is too expensive for small firms due to their licensing cost. Not every company has the budget to purchase the solution.

I believe that the solution is beginning to integrate more security measures, however, more must be done.

The on-premises version does not have any AI or machine learning capabilities. They're saving those for cloud versions.

I've used the solution for five years or so. However, the last time I used it was in November of 2019.

We're actually currently using Microsoft Power BI as opposed to Oracle.

Power BI is a good tool for every business. Microsoft Power BI, as compared to OBIEE, is much cheaper than OBIEE. OBIEE, as a product, is pretty expensive for a lot of these small organizations or small companies. Microsoft Power BI is the most useful tool as compared to cost. It's cost-effective for every organization, from small to large.

I've noticed that Microsoft is adding more visualizations and comparing themselves to Oracle in order to position themselves as competitive. Of course, they also have items like machine learning, etc., that Oracle offers.

It's a pity that they are moving from on-premises in a lot of ways. There are two changes in the cloud site because they have introduced a few new steps to configure OBIEE in the cloud. There are pretty easy steps to configure OBIEE in the cloud. As a service-oriented company, we are only using their interface.

Every technology now has been shifted to Cloud. Every technology now has been introduced to the cloud instance. If you're talking about Microsoft, they have also introduced Azure cloud as well as Amazon and Oracle clouds. However, now they want to shift their Oracle technology to only cloud and in the future, we are seeing that most of the companies will shift their data to the cloud.

I was involved in the setup of both the cloud and on-premises versions of Oracle OBIEE.

The basic difference between on-premise and cloud is the fact that we as implementers are responsible for the entire picture. We have to build and install the server then handle the installation configuration and then move the data from the source application tool to the warehouse. That's only for on-premise whereby the whole responsibility is taken by us.

The cloud, the infrastructure service, means that the responsibility is taken by Oracle. The cloud handles the technical aspects for the most part. We are only using to the warehouse because the source application moves the target in-house. The on-premise solution has three basic processes: infrastructure, installation, and configuration and then we do the implementation. In the cloud, you mostly just have to implement it.

I can't recall the exact pricing. There are three different categories. The pricing is available online. If you go to their website they're quoted there and they charge per hour band per day as they have different offers for their customers. If you want to know about their pricing of the particular categories, on their website their prices will be available there.

Their prices have changed from the last year. Right now I don't have any sense of price. However, I was part of the implementation team, and I noticed their pricing is not much higher but it's moderate pricing.

There's a lot of competition right now between a few giants, including Microsoft, Oracle,  Amazon Web Services, and SAP as well as Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

We were using the latest version of the solution at this time.

I would suggest that any company considering the solution carefully consider their budget first. The licensing is comparable to Microsoft. You need to make sure you can afford the solution.

From my experience, OBIEE is the best solution. I have five-plus years of experience working with Oracle. If you are a giant firm, if you can afford this technology, so go for it. This is a good technology. They have various solutions for customers. They have financials. They have utilities as well. Oracle has a supply chain, they have a financials, they have HRMS modules, they had a procurement module, and they have a utility stack. They have more products than anyone else. That's why they have an edge on other solutions.

I've been on webinars during the pandemic and have noticed Oracle push towards AI and machine learning, specifically on the cloud. I've also been on webinars with AWS and Microsoft and they are chasing this technology as well. Still, Oracle right now has the edge.

I would rate OBIEE nine out of ten due to the fact that their various features and their product stack are very competitive. Their various product features definitely attract customers.

Satish Kopalle
BI Analytics-Tech Lead at StratApps
Extremely flexible, easy to set up and great for reporting

• "The solution has great reporting and forecasting capabilities."
  • "There's a lot of redundancy, especially in relation to creating the code."

What is most valuable?

The flexibility to work with this on the cloud only if you would like is very helpful. There are fewer log-ins required. It's easy to connect to the live system.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The solution is stable.

We've found the technical support to be very helpful.

The solution has great reporting and forecasting capabilities.

What needs improvement?

If I want to develop a new repository, any new table, any new schema that I want to incorporate into the RPD, then in my local schema, can't directly connect to the cloud. I do not have complete end-to-end access to it. In such cases, I need to install some local DV. I don't know if that is the right path or not, however, as far as I'm concerned, I'm just creating some tables, some sample space in my local DB and from the DB I just try to import into my local RPD in order to publish to the cloud. It is double work. If I'm in a non-cloud environment and I need not connect to the local DB, I need not re-import everything into my local space. I can connect to the available on-premise DB and connecting to that on-premise DB I can create the RPD.

In terms of linking to the cloud, there are many restrictions. From a business standpoint, it is a great way to approach things. That said, from a developer's standpoint, it's a bit tough to develop the code and progress the code to the next environment like that.

There's a lot of redundancy, especially in relation to creating the code. Developers, in fact, have to deal with many hurdles, including security restrictions and vendor communications.

I've been using the solution for the next nine years at this point. It's been almost a decade.

The solution is stable. In fact, we are working to build out capabilities so that users who might use Tableau or Power BI can handle reports and other tasks right on top of this product. We're working to make it even more flexible for future users. So far, it's going very well.

Technical support is pretty good. I have no complaints as, whenever we raised any kind of tickets to them, within a short time, within a week, they have closed everything and solved the issue. We are pretty impressed. They have provided a wonderful solution as of now and whenever we've raised a new patch request, the upcoming patches have been fine.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have too many issues with the process.

I typically handle the initial setup for clients.

The solution is a bit expensive for a lot of clients. Many might not have the funds available for Oracle products. Most believe it to be a costly product. Nobody has compared it to the other reporting tools, however. They might not understand the costs involved.

What other advice do I have?

We are just Oracle customers. We handle several clients. We don't have any kind of owned Oracle products, however, we are giving support to Oracle clients.

We use multiple deployment models, including the cloud and on-premises.

One thing from an Oracle standpoint is that we only concentrate on Oracle products - whatever the number of products you have in our chain. There are certainly other business users that also use Tableau as well as business objects and maybe Power BI. These are competitive reporting tools. The same users of Oracle might also have similar tools within one of those solutions.

My intention is let's migrate everybody to Oracle in order to connect certain scenarios on how to migrate those existing tools to Oracle. We're asking: what are the core competencies, what are the advantages of using this Oracle tool, and what are the flexibilities in order to migrate from these other solutions to Oracle. With Tableau, for our client, we have conducted several demonstrations on how to migrate the particular Tableau reports to OBIEE via the DV.

The way in which we have developed preferred reports has impressed them. They help play with their existing repositories as well. They can easily connect to their repository to an existing OBI repository to the direct source tables so they can easily use external additional sources. They can easily connect all their existing models and they can play here and there and experience all of that flexibility they have there in Tableau currently. We've written a custom SQL where they can create, they can dump everything in, and extract.

On the other hand, for particular business users, if they want to change the logic to Tableau it is not feasible for them. We are here for them to give support from Oracle and we need a lot of knowledge from business stakeholders to come up and check the flexibility by using this Oracle product on top of their other reporting areas.

I would 100% recommend Oracle, especially to people who on other platforms and want to adopt new typical areas specific to the cloud. If they want to enhance their reporting capabilities, Oracle is perfect for them. If they are looking for forecasting, this solution is great. There's a kind of flexibility you just won't typically see in other solutions.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle OBIEE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SW
Finance Systems Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A business intelligence suite with a useful scheduling feature, but the graphical capabilities could be better

• "I like the scheduling feature. It has an inbuilt scheduler which is very good, and it allows us to create agents, and those agents can be scheduled. It's quite flexible in that respect and goes into our IT infrastructure. The outputs are sent encrypted to various endpoints. Some are internal, and some are our clients, and it's encrypted at a high level. I do find Oracle OBIEE flexible. If there is stuff that's not in your model or schema, it's very flexible to create SQL scripts and create the data you want. It's quite nice to create a dashboard in OBIEE, and that's pretty straightforward in the way you drag and drop everything. You can create sections, and you can add elements to your page. That bit of the interface is relatively straightforward."
  • "The graphical capabilities could be better. They are also cumbersome, and they are limited compared to Tableau, Power BI, or even Business Objects to a certain extent and Cognos. The error logging isn't great either. The errors that come out when you schedule aren't easy to understand. I find how they filter within a query quite cumbersome and difficult to debug if somebody else has done it. You can see as you build, and I think that's where the problem is. It doesn't lend itself to debug something. For example, if you create a formula that's quite complicated, it's not easy to understand what goes with what. It becomes spaghetti, and it's very difficult to unpick. That's really my gripe about it, and in some ways, it's too flexible. It tries to be a Jack of all trades when it's not. I think a lot of these products, if they concentrate on trying to produce your reports, then that's fine. But when they're trying to do all sorts of other things as well, then it isn't very easy. We get lots of support from Oracle, but I think the problem is that we get many invalid file operations. Nobody understands why. It can be a multitude of reasons, but no one reason could cause it. That's just one of the issues we've had in the last year. But the scope of reporting has gone through the roof over the previous 12 to 18 months. We want an end-of-life OBIEE in our environment because some of the infrastructure runs unclustered. We weren't allowed to go clustered for some reason, and we never knew why. Unfortunately, going down that route means that the platform we run it on, WebLogic, has now become non-standard within our organization. Everything's been moved off it and onto other platforms. Unfortunately, our OBIEE runs on that platform, and we're being pushed down different routes, and we don't know where we're going at the moment. Within the next two years, I don't think we'll have OBIEE in our part of the business. In the next release, I think having the capability of being able to develop and then promote to a production environment rather than having to have separate environments will help. I know that Tableau and Power BI can be created on a desktop application, and then when it's ready to go live, you can promote it."

What is most valuable?

I like the scheduling feature. It has an inbuilt scheduler which is very good, and it allows us to create agents, and those agents can be scheduled. It's quite flexible in that respect and goes into our IT infrastructure. The outputs are sent encrypted to various endpoints. Some are internal, and some are our clients, and it's encrypted at a high level.

I do find Oracle OBIEE flexible. If there is stuff that's not in your model or schema, it's very flexible to create SQL scripts and create the data you want. It's quite nice to create a dashboard in OBIEE, and that's pretty straightforward in the way you drag and drop everything. You can create sections, and you can add elements to your page. That bit of the interface is relatively straightforward.

What needs improvement?

It becomes spaghetti, and it's very difficult to unpick. That's really my gripe about it, and in some ways, it's too flexible. It tries to be a Jack of all trades when it's not. I think a lot of these products, if they concentrate on trying to produce your reports, then that's fine. But when they're trying to do all sorts of other things as well, then it isn't very easy.

We want an end-of-life OBIEE in our environment because some of the infrastructure runs unclustered. We weren't allowed to go clustered for some reason, and we never knew why. Unfortunately, going down that route means that the platform we run it on, WebLogic, has now become non-standard within our organization.

In the next release, I think having the capability of being able to develop and then promote to a production environment rather than having to have separate environments will help. I know that Tableau and Power BI can be created on a desktop application, and then when it's ready to go live, you can promote it.

I have been using Oracle OBIEE for about four years, but I don't use it a lot.

Oracle OBIEE is very stable. The only issue have is scheduling too much at the same time. It can get overloaded, and unfortunately, like most things, there are always bottlenecks.

You're actually pushing it down a tunnel in effect, and if that tunnel's not large enough, it can't cope with the load. Some of the files and some reports are a lot bigger, and OBIEE has a limited 64,000 rows of output. It's not suitable for really extracting large amounts of data.

If I wanted to extract all the transactions on a report for one particular day, then that would blow the 64,000 rows of output. This means that we have to run it separately, and we can't schedule it. It has to be a manual task, or we have to get work done by our development people to provide that report as a standard report. This can be quite difficult at times.

Oracle OBIEE is scalable because you can cluster them and have multiple servers. You can spread the load up to a point. You can have multiple environments running under the same cluster. In our production space, we have two environments. We have a test environment, and we have a production environment. Being clustered, you can cluster those together.

When I used Cognos, it seemed as though it didn't cater to telling stories. It's like you've got to get the data out into something like Excel or another tool to do the visualizations. It can be done, but it's quite fiddly.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Oracle OBIEE a seven.

Robin Saikat Chatterjee
Head of Oracle Exadata Centre of Excellence at Tata Consultancy Services
Running Oracle OBIEE on Exalytics with in-memory caching coupled to a Repository on Exadata

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to run it in Exalytics within memory coupled to a Repository on Exadata is where it flies. So it's not meant for mom and pop shops, but if you are a global 500 fortune 1000 company, this is a tool that can get you what you need on time and even in real time."
  • "One significant improvement is the need for simplification. The set up could be more intuitive. An enterprise setup with HA and DR are pretty complex and to get a robust solution one has to play around with Real Application Cluster data sources and FAN notifications as well as WebLogic clustering and external load balancers. SSO also is not that simple to set up especially if you want all your Oracle systems to use the same SSO solution, i.e., no cheating with direct LDAP connectivity."

What is our primary use case?

First Of I am an Administrator of OBIEE more than a developer or User, so my review will be more from that perspective. OBIEE is now not a big focus area for Oracle given that they now have various cloud PaaS solutions available such as Oracle Analytics cloud that does a similar job. However, OBIEE has always been a complex beast with a lot of not well-integrated moving parts.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle OBIEE has improved our organization by providing business intelligence tools and solutions as advertised. We get the dashboard reports, email blasts, and dynamic access as needed. However, to get the best performance you need to understand and tune the system appropriately.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to run it in Exalytics with in-memory caching coupled to a Repository on Exadata is where it flies. So it's not meant for mom and pop shops, but if you are a global 500 fortune 1000 company, this is a tool that can get you what you need on time and even in real time.Previously we only had the option of using times ten caching bunt now we have the otion of using DBIM facility. We were one of the first SIs to adopt this technology in one of our customer implementations.

What needs improvement?

So there is no simple setup for HA deployment. you need to manually create a cluster deploy into the cluster , reconfigure the datasources to high availability data sources etc. Unlike hyperion for example which has automated configurator scripts that do a lot of the under covers work for the administrator and hence simplifies the ha installation.

More than five years.

This is a pretty stable solution. There is also good help from Oracle.

OBIEE is an ultra-scalable solution as long as you are willing to pay the price. Exadata, Exalytics and in memory allow this to scale to any enterprise,  and we have global 500 companies who are using this solution today.

Oracle's Technical support is knowledgeable and able to help with issues. We faced some challenging problems when upgrading very old versions of OBIEE to 1c but got some excellent support for the same.

No we mostly concentrate on the Oracle technology stack though there are other groups within my company that look at other vendor solutons. Oracle Analytics cloud now provides similar functionality in a PaaS like platform. Going forward this may be the future path for obiee users.

Setup can be quite complex for this system,.

We do these kinds of implementations ourselves. We are an Oracle SI.

We implement this for our customers who have seen multifold speedup in reporting and better visibility into their organizations. It's challenging to put a dollar value, but they have recouped their investments as compared to the systems that were replaced.

Setup cost, pricing, and licensing for OBIEE are all geared towards more substantial enterprises. A full blown HA - Dr setup can have many moving parts.

We evaluate solutions on a case by case basis based on the specific implementation as we implement BI solutions for different clients.

What other advice do I have?

OBIEE is a powerful BI tool, but it is not as agile as some of the newer PaaS based solutions, eg, Oracle Analytics Cloud

On a scale of one to ten with ten being the best, I'd give Oracle OBIEE a rating of 7 out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Oracle Platinum partner cloud elite and hence implement Oracle technologies among others.
Ricardo Giampaoli
EPM/BI certified Consultant, Oracle ACE and TeraCorp Consulting CEO at TeraCorp Consulting
It's easy to manipulate and to create new dashboards.

What is our primary use case?

Very large and complexes environments implementation, 10000+ users with 24x7 global operation and multiple EPM tools working in sync.

How has it helped my organization?

With a good model implemented, businesses can easily take decisions to improve anything they want.

An example I like to give is a retail company for which we developed online BI for sales. With this model, the managers follow the sales in real-time and can make decision like when, how much, and where to start a sales campaign during the day. This helps all managers to fulfill their quotas easily.

What is most valuable?

It's a great tool for the businesses as it's easy to manipulate and to create new dashboards. For the development side, it requires a good datamart to make things easier. It's very robust with a lot of resources.

What needs improvement?

It needs better parent-child dimension options that don't need to pass through OBIEE to build it. It's an easier way to update the model in case of a change of dimension size or sources.

Also, it needs better and more dynamic graphics. There are a lot of tools with better graphics and big part of BI is about this.

More than 10 years.

There were issues mainly because of a Java memory leak.

The scalability is limited because of WebLogic.

The technical support for EPM is bad. I don't remember anytime that the service support help me in something. The problem is bigger when you have a environment with more than one product like Hyperion Planning and ODI. This happens because the products have different owners within Oracle and then different supports and because this if, you open a trouble ticket of loading data to planning and you say the words ODI, you'll be pushed around the two separate support teams indefinitely, even if your company has an Oracle support director just for you.

EPM is an enterprise suit that is made of some independent tools and to have all working together it makes it complex no matter your level of knowledge. The bigger the environment the bigger is the challenge you need to face. Maybe one day Oracle will integrate all their tools. It'll be easier and the good thing is that I saw a lot of improvements over the years.

Always talk with a Oracle representative and negotiate a discount. I already saw 99% of discounts and a free licence once.

Some times is cheaper if you get a hardware together (helps to negotiate a discount)

I'm a consultant and my only evaluation was on the database. I decided on Oracle because of the database and, during my career, their other tools are starting to come naturally.

What other advice do I have?

Because Oracle products are development frameworks, your final results are as good as the people who implemented it. Make sure that your implementation team is the best it could be, at least for the first implementation. If something is implemented incorrectly at the start, it'll cost you a lot more to fix than to build a new system from scratch. Sometimes it can be so badly designed that it is impossible to fix.

I've been working on implementation for 20 years and I have seen bad implementations everywhere. In fact, I have seen the same tools implemented in the same team by two different people, with one being a success and the other a failure. In the same company, one department says that the tool does not work for them and another says that the tool is the best. The only difference was the implementer. Make sure you get a good team to implement it. The tool has its flaws, but most of time (99%) it is the implementer's fault that you have a bad or slow model.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're platinum partners.
MS
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Great condition-based analysis with good flexibility and pretty good technical support

• "The solution is easy to use and very flexible."
  • "The solution needs to be easier to scale."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented this solution for reporting purposes primarily. We got it for the client a few months back. This whole system is an EBS system. We used the solution to pull the data from the EDA source system and convert it. Once a data valid solution is developed, we model the data model using RCB, and then we create reports for the service contract module.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helps businesses to make a very quick analysis and can help them make business decisions quickly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the fact that hierarchies are centralized.

The solution offers a condition-based analysis. For example, if the user wants to see two reports on the dashboard based on different categories or different attributes, but they want to see one report at a time, using the condition-based development, they can do so.

From version 11G to 12C the solution has made a lot of improvements.

The solution is easy to use and very flexible.

What needs improvement?

In the 11G model, there are restricted visualizations, whereas in Oracle Analytics Cloud we have multiple different variations of visualization. If there was a way of presenting the data in a pictorial way, it would be very helpful. Right now, the solution, at least in that deployment model, is lacking a number of visualizations.

The solution needs to be easier to scale.

I've been using the solution for almost seven years at this point. The company itself may have used it for about 15 to 20 years now.

I haven't had much chance to really test the stability, however, I don't recall any instances of trouble.

Scalability is not that easy. We need to apply a batch. It would definitely take time to execute and to check all the reports or development work once the batch applied.

We've used technical support in the past and have been quite satisfied with their level of service. Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. Occasionally, we would have issues that remained unanswered, however, it's rare.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It is complex. Oracle introduced another product called Oracle Analytics Cloud, and in that case, the installation of the product is very easy. Comparatively, this product's installation is difficult. It takes time and needs mission instants.

We set up the solution in-house. We didn't need to hire an integrator or consultant.

I'm not sure what the solution costs. I'm not involved with aspects of billing or contract negotiations. I don't know if we pay on a monthly or yearly basis.

I don't recall evaluating other options.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not the latest version of the solution, however, I do have information on the latest one as well. I'm using the 11G version. The latest one is 12C. I worked on it two years ago.

Our company loves the benefits of this solution and has used it for a long time. Even with new products on the market, they continue to use the product.

I'd advise companies considering using the solution to make sure they explore the product quite a bit before fully implementing it.

Overall, I'd rate the solution at eight out of ten. Each version continues to get better and better. I would definitely give 10 out of 10 for OASC, for example, which was recently launched, due to the fact that it is fully on the cloud.

DM
Architect Team Lead at ITC Infotech
MSP
Not too difficult to set up, and offers improved technical support, but needs better reporting

• "The setup isn't too difficult."
  • "I find I prefer Oracle OAC over OBIEE. It's more advanced, has artificial intelligence, and there's more that we can do with it in general. OBIEE is lacking features."

What is most valuable?

The solution is offered as a PaaS - a platform as a service.

The setup isn't too difficult.

While technical support used to be quite bad, it's my understanding that it has gotten better.

What needs improvement?

I find I prefer Oracle OAC over OBIEE. It's more advanced, has artificial intelligence, and there's more that we can do with it in general. OBIEE is lacking features.

The reporting could be better. We can only develop standard PDF reports. We don't have reports that show analytics. It doesn't generate barcodes at the top and it doesn't have the ability to show notes. The reporting system needs to introduce logic so that we can make the reporting more flexible.

Writing any code takes a long time. Merging data is also a long and tedious process.

I've been working with the solution for 13 and a half years so far. It's been a while.

The solution isn't exactly stable. There are some reports, for example, in relation to email compliance or other policies that are not working as they should. We're actually migrating off of OBIEE's reports to Crystal Reports as some functionality is just not possible.

The scalability of the solution is fine. It's arranged per user. However, you need to pay more if you add more.

There are no plans to increase usage as the solution is limiting in the features on offer and the client is leaning more towards Oracle OAC.

I haven't tried to contact technical support in a long while. The last time might have been 2017 or 2018. I recall support not being very good. At the time, the application was new and we had questions, and we did not really get any response. It took them a long, long time to say anything. At that time, we were installing the application and facing some issues and it was a frustrating process.

That said, their support may have stabilized and gotten better, however, I haven't really dealt with them since.

I've started working more with Oracle OAC.

The solution is a platform as a service. We pick and choose our requirements as we like. If we need more CPU or RAM or hardware, we make sure we have that in the setup. We decide how many users we want, et cetera, and the system is set up to accommodate for that.

Oracle can help set up the solution.

OAC has a more reasonable price point than OBIEE. OAC gives you more options and choices. It's more flexible.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. I'm not a partner of Oracle. I have no business relationship with the company.

There is a lot of competition in the market right now and there are so many cloud applications that users can look at, including Power BI. Some have more features and are more user-friendly. This product needs to advance its technology and catch up. It needs more advanced features.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

VaclavBiba
BI/DW Consultant at Neit consulting
Very user-friendly with good visualization and good technical support

• "The visualization is very good."
  • "The pricing model could be improved. Right now, it's quite confusing. Many customers have this feeling that it's a super-expensive option."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to take reports and for its dashboards.

What is most valuable?

The visualization is very good.

From an end-user perspective, it's a very user-friendly environment.

What needs improvement?

There are pages about its limitations in Gartner documents. My understanding is they are working to improve themselves. There aren't any really big issues and they're already in the cloud, therefore, largely there isn't too much that's lacking.

Currently, the solution is based on three pillars. The first is the BI publisher and it used to be a single product. The second is Oracle and Oracle Business Intelligence, the core component. It used to be a CBO product. Then, thirdly, you have this new Oracle visual analyzer. Now, all of these are wrapped into one Oracle analytics product. However, the integration between (or among) these three products is not 100% complete. This is the area where improvements can be made.

I've been using the solution for more than ten years at this point. It's been a while.

It's pretty stable. Now that it's the cloud era, the company is supporting it 24/7. If there is any issue, it's very well supported. It's very stable in our eyes.

The support is quite good. You do pay for it, however, it's available when you need it. We're quite satisfied with the level of service provided.

I have some experience with Microsoft Power BI.

Power BI is more self-service BI oriented. It originated in the era of self-service BI. That's both a plus and minus, depending on what you are looking for. For example, if you prefer more self-service oriented solutions, you get more freedom with Power BI. You provide your business users with more freedom and that could be good or bad. It depends on the situation.

Oracle Business Intelligence comes from the era of more IT-driven business intelligence solutions. It's more metadata-driven. You can establish stronger governance with Oracle BI in terms of implementing policies and data, data filtering, data governance, and user rights, etc. Ironically, Power BI wants to have more options to be tightly governed, and Oracle is trying to be more self-service oriented.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. Deployment typically takes three days or so.

The solution has a reputation for being expensive and has a confusing pricing model. There aren't extra fees on top of the main licensing costs, however.

What other advice do I have?

We're an Oracle partner.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

The solution is better suited for medium or large organizations, mostly due to the high price tag. A smaller company would be hard-pressed to afford it.

That said, I would recommend it to others to use.

Download our free Oracle OBIEE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.