Oracle OBIEE Overview

Oracle OBIEE is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Reporting Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft BI: Oracle OBIEE vs Microsoft BI

What is Oracle OBIEE?

OBIEE is a multifaceted network of tools that can create a more fluid and better-integrated data flow for your business. This service is actually a platform that is made up of six individual elements, rather than a single tool with multiple features. These services include: presentation catalog, BI presentation service, BI scheduler service, BI server service,administration client, and metadata repository.

The purpose of the OBIEE is to have an entire system for all of your enterprising needs. The various tools within the suite can take your data, organize it, analyze it and then glean the pertinent information from it, sending it on to the relevant parties who can then use it for metrics, pattern analysis, and future projections. The essence of the platform is to integrate your current IT together with their tools in order to give you the overall best return on investment with minimal fiscal obligations.

Oracle OBIEE is also known as OBIEE, Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition, Oracle BI, Oracle BI EE 11g.

Oracle OBIEE Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle OBIEE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Oracle OBIEE Customers

Banca Transilvania, BeckmanCoulter, Hong Kong Housing Society, HealthShare, Ivanhoe Cambridge Unifies, and Home Credit, and Finance Bank.

Oracle OBIEE Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle OBIEE pricing:
  • "It is reasonable, but it depends on how you're going to use it. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees."

ZA
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Great machine learning capabilities on the cloud with good security mechanisms for larger organizations

What is our primary use case?

We mainly used the solution for their warehouse. OBIEE is a complete package and it includes OLAP analytics as well as OLTP. We use both features of OBIEE.

• "They are introducing AI. There are good forecasting features and machine learning."
  • "The solution is too expensive for small firms."

What other advice do I have?

We were using the latest version of the solution at this time. I would suggest that any company considering the solution carefully consider their budget first. The licensing is comparable to Microsoft. You need to make sure you can afford the solution. From my experience, OBIEE is the best solution. I have five-plus years of experience working with Oracle. If you are a giant firm, if you can afford this technology, so go for it. This is a good technology. They have various solutions for customers. They have financials. They have utilities as well. Oracle has a supply chain, they have a…
Satish Kopalle
BI Analytics-Tech Lead at StratApps
Extremely flexible, easy to set up and great for reporting

• "The solution has great reporting and forecasting capabilities."
  • "There's a lot of redundancy, especially in relation to creating the code."

What other advice do I have?

We are just Oracle customers. We handle several clients. We don't have any kind of owned Oracle products, however, we are giving support to Oracle clients. We use multiple deployment models, including the cloud and on-premises. One thing from an Oracle standpoint is that we only concentrate on Oracle products - whatever the number of products you have in our chain. There are certainly other business users that also use Tableau as well as business objects and maybe Power BI. These are competitive reporting tools. The same users of Oracle might also have similar tools within one of those…
Learn what your peers think about Oracle OBIEE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Robin Saikat Chatterjee
Head of Oracle Exadata Centre of Excellence at Tata Consultancy Services
Running Oracle OBIEE on Exalytics with in-memory caching coupled to a Repository on Exadata

What is our primary use case?

First Of I am an Administrator of OBIEE more than a developer or User, so my review will be more from that perspective. OBIEE is now not a big focus area for Oracle given that they now have various cloud PaaS solutions available such as Oracle Analytics cloud that does a similar job. However, OBIEE has always been a complex beast with a lot of not well-integrated moving parts.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to run it in Exalytics within memory coupled to a Repository on Exadata is where it flies. So it's not meant for mom and pop shops, but if you are a global 500 fortune 1000 company, this is a tool that can get you what you need on time and even in real time."
  • "One significant improvement is the need for simplification. The set up could be more intuitive. An enterprise setup with HA and DR are pretty complex and to get a robust solution one has to play around with Real Application Cluster data sources and FAN notifications as well as WebLogic clustering and external load balancers. SSO also is not that simple to set up especially if you want all your Oracle systems to use the same SSO solution, i.e., no cheating with direct LDAP connectivity."

What other advice do I have?

OBIEE is a powerful BI tool, but it is not as agile as some of the newer PaaS based solutions, eg, Oracle Analytics Cloud. On a scale of one to ten with ten being the best, I'd give Oracle OBIEE a rating of 7 out of 10.
Ricardo Giampaoli
EPM/BI certified Consultant, Oracle ACE and TeraCorp Consulting CEO at TeraCorp Consulting
It's easy to manipulate and to create new dashboards.

What is our primary use case?

Very large and complexes environments implementation, 10000+ users with 24x7 global operation and multiple EPM tools working in sync.

What other advice do I have?

Because Oracle products are development frameworks, your final results are as good as the people who implemented it. Make sure that your implementation team is the best it could be, at least for the first implementation. If something is implemented incorrectly at the start, it'll cost you a lot more to fix than to build a new system from scratch. Sometimes it can be so badly designed that it is impossible to fix. I've been working on implementation for 20 years and I have seen bad implementations everywhere. In fact, I have seen the same tools implemented in the same team by two different…
MS
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Great condition-based analysis with good flexibility and pretty good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We implemented this solution for reporting purposes primarily. We got it for the client a few months back. This whole system is an EBS system. We used the solution to pull the data from the EDA source system and convert it. Once a data valid solution is developed, we model the data model using RCB, and then we create reports for the service contract module.

• "The solution is easy to use and very flexible."
  • "The solution needs to be easier to scale."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not the latest version of the solution, however, I do have information on the latest one as well. I'm using the 11G version. The latest one is 12C. I worked on it two years ago. Our company loves the benefits of this solution and has used it for a long time. Even with new products on the market, they continue to use the product. I'd advise companies considering using the solution to make sure they explore the product quite a bit before fully implementing it. Overall, I'd rate the solution at eight out of ten. Each version continues to get better and better. I would definitely give 10 out…
VaclavBiba
BI/DW Consultant at Neit consulting
Very user-friendly with good visualization and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to take reports and for its dashboards.

• "The visualization is very good."
  • "The pricing model could be improved. Right now, it's quite confusing. Many customers have this feeling that it's a super-expensive option."

What other advice do I have?

We're an Oracle partner. Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. The solution is better suited for medium or large organizations, mostly due to the high price tag. A smaller company would be hard-pressed to afford it. That said, I would recommend it to others to use.
RG
AVP at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Access role management is valuable feature; implementation is cumbersome, requires expertise

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for public reporting, creating a dashboard for our users so they can create their own reports. If they're using Tableau and other things, we give them a dashboard to use. It provides a structure or enterprise solution or framework, which gives you a free hand to create your own reports. We have some form of partnership with Oracle and I'm an ABB.

• "Ability to create our own reports."
  • "Implementation is cumbersome and requires expertise."

What other advice do I have?

It's important to have an understanding of your requirements because if people are looking for visualization and realization, this is a very good solution that can work with thousands of users generally and can work on billions and billions of records. I rate this solution a seven out of 10.
MI
General Manager Information Technology at a engineering company with 201-500 employees
Useful for connectivity with Oracle E-Business Suite, reasonable price, very stable, and good support

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for analysis purposes for different areas, such as sales, production. We are also using it for the financial data and quality module. We have customer complaint dashboards and all sorts of things.

• "The primary reason for using OBIEE is connectivity with Oracle E-Business Suite. It makes it easy to connect with our Oracle E-Business Suite. There are the standard dashboards available, which we sometimes use, and now we are looking for customized dashboards."
  • "In the on-premises version, the feature for connecting and selecting the data between the databases looks a bit cumbersome, but I am not sure. The person who is using it takes a lot of time to design a data warehouse. When I ask him why is it taking this long, I get a response that this is something that he has to design, and there are different tools that are available. He has to write the ETL and design the warehouse according to the customer's requirement, which takes a lot of time. Its visualization should be enhanced, and there should be a feature where you can easily create your custom data warehouse."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Oracle OBIEE an eight out of ten.
See 8 more Oracle OBIEE Reviews
Download our free Oracle OBIEE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.