Oracle Service Bus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Service Bus is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) tools. It is most often compared to Mule ESB: Oracle Service Bus vs Mule ESB

What is Oracle Service Bus?

Oracle Service Bus transforms complex and brittle architectures into agile integration networks by connecting, virtualizing, and managing interactions between services and applications. Oracle Service Bus delivers low-cost, standards-based integration for mission critical SOA environments where extreme performance, scalability and reliability are critical requirements.

Oracle Service Bus enables companies to use the values of their enterprise applications portfolio. From on-premise, to the cloud to mobile devices, Service Bus allows companies to leverage their existing investments in new ways by extending the performance and scalability leadership of Oracle SOA and API Management.

Download the Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Oracle Service Bus Customers

MakeMyTrip Ltd., Griffith University, Colab Consulting Pty. Ltd., Pacfico Seguros Generales, IGEPA IT-SERVICE GmbH, Guangzhou Municipal Human Resources and Social Security Bureau, Pacfico Seguros Generales, Bank Audi S.A.L., Rydges Sydney Airport, Intelligent Pathways, Nacional Monte de Piedad IAP

Oracle Service Bus Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Service Bus pricing:
  • "The price of this solution is better than the subscription-based Mule ESB."

Oracle Service Bus Reviews

Mustaque Ali
Oracle Fusion Middleware Technical Lead at Saint-Gobain ADFORS CZ s.r.o.
Reseller
A pretty good solution with helpful plugins and reasonable pricing

• "Overall it is a pretty good solution."
  • "The interface console is very slow. Even in production, we need to increase the RAM or CPU. And even after that, the performance is still not good in production."

What is most valuable?

Overall it is a pretty good solution.

The most valuable aspects of the solution are mainly the SOA, and the JMS patch. There are some out-of-box items that are good, and, for the most part, they do provide good plugins. We have done the integration with the ESB.

I'm very comfortable with Oracle. I have a good understanding of how the solution works.

What needs improvement?

Mainly our integrations are under JMS. We are looking at some products which have good features and performance related to the JMS. Even if tomorrow if you're planning to replace JMS with Kafka or some other product, then it will be feasible to do it very quickly. However, in Oracle, we have seen a lot of difficulties when we go to integrate Kafka with the replacement of JMS.

The personal settings are not up-to-date, in terms of orchestration. In Italy, we use SOA, however, we have faced a lot of difficulties when we have orchestration projects.

Sometimes, we have seen data loss from the EM. We can't even recover the data from the back end table. Even if we ask the Oracle support team to get a patch they're taking one or two months for the production issue to resolve. These issues are killing the business and productivity. For this reason, management decided to replace Oracle with some other products that are also based on the current application - such as SAP and TIBCO. We're updating our system anyway, so it is a good time to get rid of Oracle.

With Oracle right now, we have to hire more people in the support team to look into all the issues we're facing. That is killing our delivery times and everything.

If I want to do certain integrations or use certain plugins, it occasionally can be really difficult to do the configuration in Oracle Service Bus.

I've been working with the solution for about 12 years at this point. It has been over a decade.

Technical support hasn't been too good as of late.

They say that they are good in terms of dealing with an existing issue. If you highlight it, they can quickly respond with the patch or they can respond with the previous tickets. However, with the new tickets, they will acknowledge your tickets, yet they take forever to actually resolve them.

I've only ever really worked with Oracle products. I did not previously use a different solution.

The cost is reasonable. The price is fine. However, you need to see results from support. When issues pop up in production, delays in support can lead to revenue loss. For this reason, our company is looking into other options. The solution isn't worth the price if it's costing you money in the long run.

Right now, we're doing some due diligence before buying a product. The concept is the same in all the products, only the components are different, the way of integration also are different but the concept is same with the ESB. That's what we are discussing with the technical team. We might look at TIBCO or other things such as MuleSoft.

What other advice do I have?

We aren't using the latest version of the solution. We're working on an older one right now.

After more than a decade of working with the product, I can say that it is a pretty good solution. That said, before buying, a company needs to take into account their overall infrastructure to understand the volume of data they will need to process, et cetera. Based on those requirements, you'll need to find a product that works for you.

While I like Oracle, there's no denying the support issues.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

PaulPerez
Integration Architect at pymma
Functional message delivery service, but there are issues with monitoring

• "The ability to master the process in one location."
  • "There are issues, especially if you want to create some compensation in your service bin."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an integration architect and we're a customer of Oracle.

What is most valuable?

What's valuable is the ability to master the process in one location. That's the main difference between other firewall products and this. Usually, there's an issue when you want to integrate many services together because you can't save contacts in one place. For example, if you have A, that calls B, that calls C, that calls D, there's no place to store your contacts and that's a problem. We can do that with Oracle.

What needs improvement?

The main inconvenience is the composition between services. Using software initiation, occupation with BPM, or BPI is better. There are issues, especially if you want to create some compensation in your service bin. If you have six or seven services you call in the same process, it's very difficult and that's the main issue. I get compensation with the WBS tool.

Another point relates to monitoring. When you want to show what's happened in your system, you have to deploy a direct system on each service. It's simple to put the monitoring on your BPM and that's the main difference for me. Also, connectors can be on Apache Kafka, on Oracle, or OpenESB, or on Mule, it's the same thing. It's how you execute the process. For example, OpenESB support is the difference between the interface with the service and the implementation. Oracle is more intelligent. When you want to invoke a service B, for example, you don't directly invoke service B but ask the system for the best and most accurate implementation of B for your system and it provides that. You can't do that with a simple ESB.

For additional features, if I compare OpenESB, there is the possibility to define policy between services so that when you create a connection, you can't associate the connection with the policy. That could be included in the solution.

I've been using the product for a year.

It's a stable solution.

I have no problems with the scalability, but when you define the hierarchies there can be problems.

We've never used technical support, we have our own tech team within the company.

Implementation took a few weeks, no more. It was relatively simple I believe but I'm not an expert on deployment and installation.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, not an exceptional product. You could say it's a bit greedy as it requires lots of additional resources because you have to deploy the database and then ESB on top of that. But if you have the resources and people, it's a good product.

I would rate this product seven out of 10.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, MuleSoft, IBM and others in Enterprise Service Bus (ESB). Updated: September 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Radhey-Rajput
IT Analyst at NCR Corporation
Straightforward setup with Good Features but the Connectivity needs Improvement

• "I am a part of the software developing team and I mainly use this solution for the integrating applications."
  • "The connectivity with the solution is an area that needs to be improved. On occasion, requests are lost due to losing connectivity."

What is our primary use case?

I am a part of the software developing team and I mainly use this solution for the integrating applications.

What is most valuable?

The features most valuable are all of the features relating to the integration of applications.

What needs improvement?

The connectivity with the solution is an area that needs to be improved. On occasion, requests are lost due to losing connectivity.

Also, there should be proper monitoring of what is coming into and going out of the Service bus and it should be logged.

Every request should be logged.

Technical support on the Oracle site needs improvement. When we have an issue, we create an SR for Oracle. The read the request, but they do not respond properly. When creating the SR, they ask for a lot of information from us. The requested information is provided to them but still, a solution is not provided.

It would be a benefit to have proper instruction on the different types of configuration or to have an example or suggestion for different types of Scenarios and how to configure them.

I would like the configuration information provided to us.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

The solution is stable.

We have a lot of customers and we have several enterprise applications.

This solution is scalable. We can add to it and we have multiple interfaces.

We have a lot of users, although I am not sure how many.

We have a team of thirty people working and maintaining this solution. Some are developers and some are part of the administrative team.

The technical support is good.

Technical support on the Oracle site is not as good, sometimes we will get our issues resolved but not always.

It may not be for others but I feel that the initial setup is straightforward. It is not complex.

Once I put in a request and it is approved by a manager, it takes ten to fifteen minutes to deploy.

We deploy both on-premises and Cloud. It's a private company cloud, not public.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle a good product. It can be used for the integration of this solution.

I have only received positive feedback for this solution. The features are good. It's sufficient for us.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
Anurag_Bhatnagar
Principal Consultant at Tech Mahindra Limited
Has good reporting and adapters, and easily integrates with other applications

• "The most valuable feature is the adapters."
  • "This solution would benefit from having more cloud-based adapters."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We have competencies in different ESB products including Mulesoft ESB, Oracle Service Bus, and Microsoft BizTalk.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the adapters.

This solution can be easily integrated.

The reporting is very good.

What needs improvement?

This solution would benefit from having more cloud-based adapters.

I am a solution architect and while my background is mostly in Microsoft solutions, I am familiar with the Oracle products as well. Our company has dedicated teams that are specialized in many different solutions. The choice is driven by the client. For example, if a customer mostly has Oracle products then that is the solution that we implement.

This client for Oracle Service Bus was having trouble with point-to-point integrations, so everything was being done at the back end and it affected the ability to do jobs. This is the reason that they adopted this solution.

The initial setup is a little bit complex. One of the ways it is complex is that there are a lot of features and the customer may not want all of them. Once you figure out which ones the customer doesn't want, they have to be disabled.

The price of this solution is better than the subscription-based Mule ESB.

Mule ESB is another solution that we have a dedicated team for and a lot of experience with. It is very powerful and we felt that in this particular scenario, Oracle had an edge. Mule out-of-the-box is missing a lot of features that Oracle has, and we see this year that Oracle is getting much better than Mule.

Another reason that Oracle was selected over Mule ESB is because of the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on the customer's environment and requirements. For situations where they are many integration points, whether they are on-premises or in the cloud, this is a good solution.

Overall, this is a good solution from the user's perspective, but it is a little bit complex to manage.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hector-Hernandez
Principal Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Quite stable with a very good set of features

• "The solution is quite stable overall. We haven't witnessed any performance issues so far."
  • "The initial setup is likely complex for many organizations."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently primarily using the solution for an energy company that is looking to remove the endpoint integration that they have. They want to move to an Applications Federation BOT. That's how we are seeing critical severity loss into the solution. Instead of having the point-to-point integration, we want to implement it as an Enterprise Service Bus.

What is most valuable?

The features on offer are very complete. It's a very good product overall.

What needs improvement?

I can't recall coming across any missing features. There isn't anything glaring that is lacking in the product.

The initial setup is likely complex for many organizations.

In terms of the solution itself, they should be more open with the information that they provide about the licensing process. It's incredibly difficult to understand the licensing for Oracle Service Bus and it's a whole long process to get the information from Oracle itself.

This is a very stable solution. Mostly it's focused on attending companies with high availability. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable.

We have about ten users engaged in the solution currently.

It's my understanding that the solution isn't straightforward. It's actually quite complex.

The setup and onboarding process is hard, and it's made more difficult by a murky licensing process that needs to be clarified.

The licensing process needs to be simplified. It's confusing and tedious. It's very hard to get concrete details out of Oracle in a timely manner. It would be ideal if they could be more exact and specific.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not a customer. I represent a company in charge of integrating solutions for customers, specifically for our customers. We're a partner and implementor.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Even with the difficulties around licensing, the solution itself is quite good and reliable.

HB
Lead Tech of Oracle Service Bus with 51-200 employees
Good connectors for interfacing with other applications, but the technical support needs to be improved

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is that you can connect with different applications."
  • "This solution should work better with RESTful services."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Oracle Service Bus to connect between API management and microservices. For example, we use it for data transformation, bringing data from a specific form in one service to another form in a different service.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I had a problem with one of my projects because OSB cannot send cookies to the RESTful services.

This solution should work better with RESTful services.

I have been working with Oracle Service Bus for two years.

This solution is stable.

We have four developers who are using this solution.

The technical support for this solution is not very good. I have not been able to get problems resolved because I do not have a professional account. The support is not very useful for developers.

Prior to using Oracle Service Bus, I was using webMethods Integration Server, by AG.

It was not my decision to switch and I am comfortable working with either of these solutions.

webMethods is very easy to use but it does not offer the same level of capability for personalizing your development. With respect to ease of use, for data transformation in OSB, we had to write a function but with webMethods it was just a drag and drop.

The initial setup is not complex. It takes less than one minute to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to study the architecture that they want to implement very well. That way, they won't have to have repeated flows that do the same work.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

SS
Business&Integration Arch Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good connectivity, stable, scalable, and it is easy to setup

What is our primary use case?

This solution can be used for internal connectivity between enterprise applications and a Telco client.

What is most valuable?

I like the ease of deployment and the ease of implementation.

What needs improvement?

The support for GraphQL needs to be improved, and the response time for global support could be faster.

We have been implementing this solution for more than eight years.

It's a stable product. There are no issues with stability.

It's a scalable solution. We have three customers who are using this solution.

Local support is very…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

I like the ease of deployment and the ease of implementation.

What needs improvement?

We have been implementing this solution for more than eight years.

It's a stable product. There are no issues with stability.

It's a scalable solution.

We have three customers who are using this solution.

Local support is very fast, but if you have to escalate the ticket to the global team it takes a lot of time. It could be time-consuming.

Global support response time could be faster.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It took me an hour and a half to install.

We have a team of five including one manager, and four engineers to maintain this solution.

I completed the installation myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for large enterprises.

I would rate Oracle Service Bus a nine out of ten.

Siropani Bhattamishra
Middleware Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Robust with a good interface; lacks sufficient security integration

• "The interface is fine and the solution is quite robust."
  • "Security needs to be more integrated."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for message processing.

What is most valuable?

From a technical perspective, the interface is fine and the solution is quite robust.

What needs improvement?

There are several improvements that could be made to the product. Security needs to be more integrated, there are so many new security techniques on the market that could be integrated. They should also be embedding API key and other security mechanisms. I find the solution to be somewhat lightweight.

The solution is scalable although sometimes there is a memory bottleneck and the solution crashes.

I carried out the deployment and it took a maximum of two hours. We have five users and one specialist who deals with maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

To choose this solution would depend on company priorities. If someone is looking for a highly scalable solution with security features embedded there are many other options available. If the case scenario is a customer who is already using Oracle Stack and has a good relationship with Oracle then I would recommend OSB if they can survive with the built-in security model. I would definitely recommend it for some customers.

I rate this product seven out of 10.