Oracle Service Bus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Service Bus is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) tools. It is most often compared to Mule ESB: Oracle Service Bus vs Mule ESB

What is Oracle Service Bus?

Oracle Service Bus transforms complex and brittle architectures into agile integration networks by connecting, virtualizing, and managing interactions between services and applications. Oracle Service Bus delivers low-cost, standards-based integration for mission critical SOA environments where extreme performance, scalability and reliability are critical requirements.

Oracle Service Bus enables companies to use the values of their enterprise applications portfolio. From on-premise, to the cloud to mobile devices, Service Bus allows companies to leverage their existing investments in new ways by extending the performance and scalability leadership of Oracle SOA and API Management.

Download the Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Oracle Service Bus Customers

MakeMyTrip Ltd., Griffith University, Colab Consulting Pty. Ltd., Pacfico Seguros Generales, IGEPA IT-SERVICE GmbH, Guangzhou Municipal Human Resources and Social Security Bureau, Pacfico Seguros Generales, Bank Audi S.A.L., Rydges Sydney Airport, Intelligent Pathways, Nacional Monte de Piedad IAP

Oracle Service Bus Video

Archived Oracle Service Bus Reviews (more than two years old)

YE
Developer at Touro University California
Easy to learn and integrates well with other technologies

• "This product is not complicated and very easy to learn."
  • "There are times when I select components in composite and they do not appear, and I cannot figure out why."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for development with complex integration.

What is most valuable?

This product is not complicated and very easy to learn.

Integrating this solution with other technologies is not difficult.

What needs improvement?

There are times when I select components in composite and they do not appear, and I cannot figure out why. This can happen when you develop a big project and clone it, then look for a service. Sometimes, you cannot find your work. It's a big problem.

Six months.

This solution is stable, although sometimes we see some strange behavior in the developer, where some parts do not appear. In cases like this, we need to reset.

I have not contacted technical support.

Prior to this solution, we used Java and Java Brains suite. Using Java is more complicated, and these things are taken care of by Oracle Service Bus.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product is quite good and I feel comfortable when I use it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

it_user852777
‎Senior ETL Consultant at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Helps us in building reusable, well-defined services

• "It is lightweight and one can easily integrate with different applications, databases, JMS, or web services through different protocols."
  • "It was very good at supporting high transactions, up to 300 transactions per second."
  • "It needs to support more adapters, because the integration points keep changing and new things keep coming up. It also needs to be more scalable."

What is our primary use case?

Integration. Writing of services. It's a proxy layer.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps in building reusable, well-defined services.

What is most valuable?

It is lightweight and one can easily integrate with different applications, databases, JMS, or Web services through different protocols.

What needs improvement?

It needs to support more adapters, because the integration points keep changing and new things keep coming up. It also needs to be more scalable.

Stability is very good.

I have seen that it is able to perform under high-load transactions. It was very good at supporting high transactions, up to 300 transactions per second. That requires more servers, obviously.

Sometimes we have issues, so we'll raise them with Oracle. I would say their support rates eight out of 10.

It needs some knowledge of different artifacts and you also need to have some knowledge of Web servers, the application server, something about the database; at least some knowledge. It is not very difficult and not easy. I would put it somewhere between easy and medium complexity.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, at least from the architecture and the developer's standpoints, looking at the implementation and scalability are the two most important things.

Oracle provides good documentation, look through that. This solution is advisable when you need some kind of layer in between, so that it acts as middleware for different systems. That's where you will need to use this.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, MuleSoft, IBM and others in Enterprise Service Bus (ESB). Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
It is flexible with accepting incoming messages, including handling JSON.

What is most valuable?

• It’s a lightweight tool compared to Oracle BPEL
  • The design of the product.

How has it helped my organization?

Because it can handle JSON inputs, we can now use JSON.

What needs improvement?

The logging and error-handling framework can be improved.

Usage of DVMs, MDS and other additional features that are possible in XSLT in BPEL are missing in this product.

I have used it for the past three years and I am satisfied with it.

There were no issues with deployment; it was very straightforward.

I have not encountered any stability issues. The product is highly stable.

I have not encountered any scalability issues. The product is highly scalable.

Technical support is 3 out of 5; availability of materials and support related to OSB 11g is less commonly available.

Even though we had been using Oracle BPEL, we had to go with Oracle Service Bus because it is able to handle JSON inputs. We tried to implement one scenario using Oracle BPEL but couldn’t achieve it in BPEL, so we had to go for OSB and were amazed by its flexibility in accepting incoming messages.

Initial setup involves a learning curve; it’s not as straightforward as Oracle BPEL. For example, defining custom variables, assigning and replacing different activities is a bit intriguing compared to BPEL.

We implemented it through Zensar. Their level of expertise is 4 out of 5.

ROI is not tangible, but we have benefited highly from this product.

I heard it’s available free with Oracle SOA Suite 11g, so don’t worry about additional licensing costs for this product.

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options. We only explored different Oracle alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very lightweight product and has great processing speeds.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is Oracle’s first Global Cloud Elite partner.
it_user522000
Middleware Administrator at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
We can generate a specific URL with our naming convention. We know where it goes, who's calling it, what environment it's for.

What is most valuable?

It's sort of a one-stop shop for web services. All of our web services interact with each other. Instead of calling specific server host names and specific URLs, we call the OSB service bus URL that's configured for that specific client. It's very simple to know where things are going because we can generate the URL specifically with our naming convention, so that we know where it goes, who's calling it, what environment it's for.

What needs improvement?

With the most recent version, 12c, I'm still getting use to using it, learning how to use it, how to configure it. The Oracle documentation is OK, but there aren’t a lot of good examples for me to follow. It describes the concepts and what it can do, but how to apply them has been a struggle, so far. I'm still looking for help in that area.

I have been using it for at least eight years.

It is very stable. It processes hundreds of thousands of transactions per month. Once, with our primary system for handling customers coming into our site for orders and order information, the customer would come in and send an email to our internal users; that crashed our Exchange server but OSB kept running. It was fine. It's very stable and it has to be for what it does. It's kind of like a load balancer in a way; if it goes down, then everything behind it will stop operating.

It can meet our scaling needs moving forward. I would be surprised to see it have a problem with scalability.

Technical support is OK. We know what to expect from Oracle support. You're going to ask a question. Generally, you're provided with a document: "Check out this support doc. Does this answer your question?" If it doesn't right away, then they'll take a closer look.

It's OK. It's not ideal, but after working with it for so many years, I know what to expect out of it.

Initial setup is pretty straightforward for an Oracle product. Again, we know what to expect with it and it works well.

What other advice do I have?

When I select a vendor to work with, I look for reliability and ease of use. Performance is everything and this has proven itself over the years. That's why we keep using it.