Oracle Solaris Overview

Oracle Solaris is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Operating Systems for Business. It is most often compared to Oracle Linux: Oracle Solaris vs Oracle Linux

What is Oracle Solaris?

Oracle Solaris is a complete, secure, enterprise-grade cloud platform. From built-in, near zero-overhead virtualization and application-driven Software Defined Networking, to scalable data management and high availability clustering, we give you everything you need to build your enterprise cloud.

Oracle Solaris 11.3 is the world's most advanced enterprise operating system. It delivers security, speed, and simplicity for enterprise cloud environments and DevOps

For more information on Oracle Solaris, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Solaris is also known as Solaris 11, Solaris.

Oracle Solaris Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Solaris Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Oracle Solaris Customers
Siemens, IVV
Oracle Solaris Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Solaris pricing:
  • "If you buy Oracle hardware it's supported free with the hardware. If you're putting it on non-Oracle hardware, that is when you buy the support license, which is also very reasonable. It is $1000 dollars per year, so it's not overly expensive."
  • "There is no OS licensing cost if you use their hardware and purchase hardware maintenance."
  • "Its licensing is on a yearly basis."
  • "There should be an option to install the solution for free and just pay for the support. We purchased an annual license and the price could be better."

GO
CEO at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Powerful with high availability and very stable

What is our primary use case?

Clients mainly use the solution as a database operating system in many environments. Most who are using it are financial institutions, telecoms, or companies in the energy sector.

• "Oracle Solaris is great due to the fact that it actually is meant for high-end servers."
  • "Currently, there are two variants, there's SPARC and there's x86. I would have wanted a scenario where they're all just one product."

What other advice do I have?

In our company, we don't use Oracle Solaris. As a person, I was employed as a Solaris System Administrator. I'm just a consultant. We don't use Oracle Solaris, because we're not big enough to use the solution ourselves. Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I would highly recommend Oracle Solaris. It's a stable operating system and it's been around for a long time. If you're planning to have an Oracle Database, the best operating system for the Oracle Database is Oracle Solaris. If anybody is implementing a new solution or a new environment and thinks of putting in Oracle Database…
Diego E. Aguirre
Oracle ACE - Specialized in Systems Technologies at Telecom Argentina
I've worked with different flavors of Unix, but I chose Solaris. I like the constant innovation in the software and hardware.

What is our primary use case?

I work with Solaris Operating systems since a lot of years, every day, as technical support specialist

What other advice do I have?

I always recommend Solaris because of its robustness, high availability, scalability, virtualization, excellent support, security and very good hardware.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Solaris. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Daren Ferreira
Infrastructure as a Service Manager
Improve flexibility, automate DR process, and speed up recovery time using Zones

What is our primary use case?

I have worked for multiple large enterprise environments and one small environment. I have touched every Solaris OS from 2.5.1 to Solaris 11.4. In my time, I have maintained Sparc 10 workstations and M8 servers, as well as everything in between. Businesses I have worked for include Manufacturing (large SAP and Oracle DB shops), Outsourcing, Military, and Logistics companies. I have extensive knowledge of how the OS performs and its capabilities.

• "The ability to manipulate the zones and the files within the zones from a global OS provides us flexibility that no other virtualization can match."
  • "Oracle customer service is slow at times."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that you test it in your environment. Start small and see what it can do, and reach out to me for any help. You'll see it is a solid solution that more people should adopt.
Marcel Hofstetter
Oracle ACE Director "Solaris " / CEO / Enterprise Consultant at JomaSoft
It includes two virtualization solutions: LDoms for SPARC and Solaris Zones. Both solutions can be combined to create private clouds.

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Solaris to develop and support our VDCF (Virtual Datacenter Cloud Framework) management software. Several virtual machines (LDoms and Zones) are used on SPARC and x86 Servers.

What other advice do I have?

Use deployment tools for automation and avoid doing everything manually. Deployment tools help to avoid errors and create a standardized environment.
MK
Senior Manager IT Operations at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great security and reliability with responsive technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for multiple purposes. We are using it, for example, for our local environment, and we are using it for our core banking. We even use it for our database and a lot of other things.

• "The backup capabilities are quite good."
  • "It would be helpful if the solution offered backend management. In the 11.4 version, Oracle added a management console. It would be great if we maybe had a user management tool to go with it."

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Oracle. I would 100% recommend the solution to other organizations. The solution has been quite reliable and secure. For an enterprise environment, it's a great product. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.
AS
Deputy IT Manager at ICAPP (Americana Group)
Very stable and safe, but needs specific hardware and not easy to use

What is our primary use case?

It is used for Oracle applications and Oracle Database.

• "It works well. It is very stable and very good. It is also very safe. It cannot be easily infected by viruses or attacks."
  • "It is not easy to use. It doesn't have a user-friendly interface. It should be easy to use. We are planning to move from Solaris to Linux because Linux is more flexible and user-friendly. Its installation should also be easier. Solaris also needs specific hardware to work well, which is another reason why we are moving to Linux. It should be more flexible in terms of hardware. It should have better integration with other hardware platforms."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is stable and safe but not easy to use. It is very good for Oracle applications. I would rate Oracle Solaris a seven out of ten.
KH
Data Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, scalable, but price reduction needed

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution as an operating system for some of our charging systems.

What is most valuable?

One of the main features of this solution is the ease of use.

I have been using the solution for approximately ten years.

The solution is stable.

The scalability of the solution is good and we have approximately 10 users using it.

The technical support was satisfactory.

We used a vendor team to do the implementation of the solution.

There…
Download our free Oracle Solaris Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.